• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice The Shattered Soul - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Well, I thought that the spell failed, so I abandoned it. Now he's walking trying to find anything that could be a landmark.

Captain Hesperus

Sherwood Sherwood Hah! I think Sherwood and I just posted at the same time! =)

Folks? Does anyone like the idea of meeting at the door at the same time - to those inclined to answer the door in the first place, that is. I'm betting right now, nearly all of our characters want to do little more than get that rest they need. =)

Our posts were within seconds of each other. Rather amusing, if I can say so.

Sherwood Sherwood Hah! I think Sherwood and I just posted at the same time! =)

Folks? Does anyone like the idea of meeting at the door at the same time - to those inclined to answer the door in the first place, that is. I'm betting right now, nearly all of our characters want to do little more than get that rest they need. =)
Yeah, Thomas got an early morning eyeball on Dreamy. I dunno yet if he's grateful for not having taken holy vows of chastity or if he is going to be having a moment of dutiful contemplation regarding the temptations of the flesh.

Captain Hesperus

Fijit was kindly asked to do any unfamiliar or dangerous experiments outside, behind the stables - the well is a lot closer, there
🤣

She does, of course, it's only polite. But she also does her harmless stuff in her room. Note that for her, "harmless" means "stuff I know will work the way I expect and in a manner I can control," which may or may not be the opinion of the others in the guest house.

I can see us watching as Fijit comes out of her room with her face all blackened in smoke and her hair singed, saying "Another whoopsie, there?"

🤣

She does, of course, it's only polite. But she also does her harmless stuff in her room. Note that for her, "harmless" means "stuff I know will work the way I expect and in a manner I can control," which may or may not be the opinion of the others in the guest house.
Kaerri Kaerri

I can hear it now: "Those strange dreams we had that seemed so very real and lifelike! It wasn't magic or dreams or anything like that! It was the result of all those funny fumes coming from Fijit's room going through the whole house!

"Even the cinnamon! It was Fijit's doing all along!

"That's what this early morning commotion outside is all about!! It's all the neighbors from all over The Roots! They want some of what we've got in here!

"And they're all willing to pay!!"

You're giving me way too many good ideas, Dann... careful with that =D

Ha ha ha ha! That's what you get for having a Dannigan on-board. Free ADHD! 8D

(Write those ideas down; don't let 'em get away! They'll be there for you on those days when your brain isn't coming up with anything and everyone has those days!) =)

Well, that one's easy to remember - I'm just waiting for Fijit to fail an alchemy check, right? At this point, my workshop is a nice mess of half-finished posts and one-liners with various ideas... plus hand-written notes here on my desk. Shouldn't run out of ideas for a little while, but I'm adding to it whenever something comes to mind. Thanks for the advice!

Also meant to make a personal note: I'm mostly abstaining from liking in-game posts and stuff while gming. Not that I make too much use of those buttons anyway, but it feels a bit like grading things that are not supposed to be graded. Like, I want to just enjoy your awesome posts, not think about whether I'm supposed to like or love them, or whether the other should be a great scene as well... just personal preference. Your posts are awesome!

Shouldn't run out of ideas for a little while, but I'm adding to it whenever something comes to mind. Thanks for the advice!
Sure! I've recorded my ideas in a number of ways - on my smartphone, here in My Private Workshop, on papers, heck, I've even left messages on our home voice-box from time to time.

Once ideas are gone, they're usually gone for good. So... like butterflies or dragonflies flitting about you, it's best to enjoy them while you can and record them if you're able. Oh. And one place I often lose ideas? On the highway. I'm not reaching for my phone or a pen while doing that. So... I tend to just repeat them in my head until I can pull over somewhere or get to where I'm going. =)

Also meant to make a personal note: I'm mostly abstaining from liking in-game posts and stuff while gming. Not that I make too much use of those buttons anyway, but it feels a bit like grading things that are not supposed to be graded. Like, I want to just enjoy your awesome posts, not think about whether I'm supposed to like or love them, or whether the other should be a great scene as well... just personal preference. Your posts are awesome!
While I agree this is a personal preference, I have to disagree in that it's a grade. None of us are competing with the other. This is a party-driven game, not a job, not a school. I put Likes, Loves, etc. on your posts when they genuinely hit me! How else are you supposed to know how I feel? Especially when I think you've written something good? I mean every Like, Love, etc. I give. Every one.

No. These little signs are valuable. Like little pieces of gold. Because they're feedback. And think about this - unless someone comes over in a post to tell me they liked it (yeah, like that happens often, right?), how else am I supposed to know?

Just recently, Cap'n dropped a "Great Scene" on my post with Dreamy. If he hadn't, how would I know how he felt? How?

I love feedback! Good, bad, ugly, great! I can't do anything with silence (except maybe feel lonely).

These likes and loves? These aren't grades for me; they're your feelings. And your feelings? They fuel my inspiration. I find out what you like and what you don't like. I remember that stuff and I use it, just like I do at a gaming table. I remember stuff many of my Players have forgotten about. Think back to how many times over the years I've pulled something that made something inside of you feel. Guess how that happened?

And what comes after learning how you feel? More and better games. And Good Times too!

So, at least for me? In my games? Guys and gals, PLEASE bring on your feelings! I can't communicate with you the way I could were we across a table or in Discord. My telepathy sucks. I can't tell how you are feeling. Not unless you tell me. I have only your words to go by.

Oh and those little hearts and cookies too. =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

You know, it's one of those things where I'm probably just overthinking things. Like, I appreciate them as feedback myself, and I drop one every now and then myself; but it feels... different when I'm gming? Because it feels, to me, like it's not just my personal thoughts anymore, but it's also the gm's thoughts at the same time - and that makes me cautious. Even though there maybe shouldn't even be a difference. Honestly, i should probably just go ahead and like stuff as i see fit and don't care about any of this.

Silanon Silanon You be you, Sil!

It's not like all of us here are new gamers or new to each other; most of us in this game have known each other online for literally years (and some of us for a LOT longer than that). =)

Speaking only for myself, whether you put likes or not on my posts is a perspective I will continue to respect! I don't think for a moment that you are capable of favoritism, which is, if I'm reading the situation right, is what the core of the "to Like or not to Like" matter might be all about. If I saw you plant 5 hearts on one PC's posts and 0 on the other, all it tells me is that you enjoyed those 5 posts. There's nothing negative at all about not posting - it's just silence.

And thank The Staff that we don't have Negative posting! (I'll call 'em "Dislikes," if you will!) Man, I can just imagine the drama that might cause in some games (because we have so many teenagers on RP Nation. I'm glad they're here; I was once one too!). =)

The authority of a Game Master is something new Game Masters often misinterpret (not that I have any idea if you are new or not; I mean GMs in general). Sometimes friends think they have to change themselves in order to fit a role. I think that's one of my strengths as a gamer - I'm Dannigan regardless! This is the me you're getting! GM or PC - I have to be me; it's the only me I know how to be. =) Anything else is just adding stress. So I stick to who I am. Always. =)

But I were to offer advice to new GMs, please don't change yourself to fit a role. Keep in mind people have joined your game because they already believe in you. The you they know. That's faith! They have faith. Do nothing to mess that up! If the new GM changes themselves (be it behavior, habits, etc.) to fit the GMing role, they risk becoming (or at least acting) like someone the PCs might not know - or feel comfortable with. That's when the problems start because expectations change (but that's another stage altogether).

The "secret?" You be you! Trust Your Players and Trust Yourself. They know the "gaming you" already - that's why they joined! Becoming anything else is doing too much unnecessarily and that wonderful energy can instead be directed in a dozen other places - with positive returns instead of worries! =)

If I'm reading you right? Hope I'm not overthinking this! Ha ha! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Well-earnt - as usual, you're pretty much on point. Thanks for the advice! Change of plans - lemme just like stuff the way I usually do; which means without too much thought behind it. No point in overthinking any of this, is there?
(not that I have any idea if you are new or not; I mean GMs in general).
I'd say inexperienced, but not new; Sherwood and Psychie actually witnessed my first attempt at gming, and I don't envy them for it. It was pretty messy at times... still, it was damn fun for me, and lasted quite a while! I'm a bit rusty, though, haven't been at it for a while; and it's a bit of a different mindset for me to write posts this way, instead of just blurting out what might come into Eron's mind...

Well-earnt - as usual, you're pretty much on point. Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome, Sil! You deserve it! =)

I'm a bit rusty, though, haven't been at it for a while;
I know this feeling well. When I haven't GMed for some time and I try to come back to it without sufficient time for preparation, I feel like a wizard without his spellbook.

Many skills take time to warm back up and relearn! =)

and it's a bit of a different mindset for me to write posts this way, instead of just blurting out what might come into Eron's mind...
As it should be. When I am a Player, I feel I have the easiest job in the world; I play one Character. Boom-done. (Come to think of it, that's probably why all of my Character sheets are so chock-full of information.)

When I'm a GM, I'm covering sometimes a dozen things at once and I find that's where I'm most comfortable. It gives my restless and overactive mind something to think about. However, I know I have my limits. I've long wanted to get my old Rifts game going (it's attached to Sharseya) but I dare not because I am truly at my limit of games! Knowing my limits is extremely important lest I overdo it.

So, to play a game as a single character takes up some of my brain, yeah, but to GM takes about oh, 6 times as much?

I think it takes a special person to do either one for a long time and remain comfortable with it; these are the gamers that know themselves best. =)

You know, it's one of those things where I'm probably just overthinking things. Like, I appreciate them as feedback myself, and I drop one every now and then myself; but it feels... different when I'm gming? Because it feels, to me, like it's not just my personal thoughts anymore, but it's also the gm's thoughts at the same time - and that makes me cautious. Even though there maybe shouldn't even be a difference. Honestly, i should probably just go ahead and like stuff as i see fit and don't care about any of this.
Go ahead. ^33^ I can understand how you might think it carries extra weight from the GM, and maybe it does, but not in a bad way. I take anyone's cookies, hearts, etc. as a compliment, and if it's the GM, it just tells me what I've written fits well into their game (which I love to know). Other than that it's the same to me as from a fellow player (or random viewer for that matter). I don't feel graded or anything.

And thank The Staff that we don't have Negative posting! (I'll call 'em "Dislikes," if you will!) Man, I can just imagine the drama that might cause in some games (because we have so many teenagers on RP Nation. I'm glad they're here; I was once one too!). =)
This is exactly why we don't have negative reactions. ^;3^

Thanks for those comments, folks - helps me a ton.

Just meant to point something out real quick: In the fog, we posted in rounds since things that some people did could influence whatever the others get to see - and right now, I want to give everyone to be able to get to the door if they so wish. But in general, feel free to post like in all of the other games.

And I meant to ask: It'd be probably a good idea to keep track of some of the things you've seen in the fog - I made a post in the Lore tab, but wanted to ask how you'd prefer to go about it. Would you prefer to have your own thoughts and observations gathered in one place (I'd be happy to put them there), or would you prefer me to keep track of it?

But in general, feel free to post like in all of the other games.
O.K.! I'll keep that in mind.

Would you prefer to have your own thoughts and observations gathered in one place (I'd be happy to put them there), or would you prefer me to keep track of it?
I would prefer both! Data recorded is dated preserved. Perspectives also matter and everyone's will be different.

I planned on putting Dreamy's notes into her character sheet's Notes tab. =)

I would prefer both! Data recorded is dated preserved. Perspectives also matter and everyone's will be different.
Sure! I'll see if I can get some of the things you all noticed sorted in some convenient way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back