• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice The Shattered Soul - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Just copied a few things about the fog over to the lore tab - let me know if it makes sense for you like that! I'll try to get the next post up by Tuesday - got a busy day tomorrow, but plenty of time after that.

That's the plan - I'm on it right now =D

Just a heads-up: If nothing gets in the way, I'll be on a short 5-day vacation starting next Sunday. I'm not quite sure how active I'll be during that time period - don't really intend to bring my laptop at the moment, so I'll see.

That's the plan - I'm on it right now =D

Just a heads-up: If nothing gets in the way, I'll be on a short 5-day vacation starting next Sunday. I'm not quite sure how active I'll be during that time period - don't really intend to bring my laptop at the moment, so I'll see.
Vaaacaaation for Sil! Hooraaay!

Have a blast, man! =)

Thanks, folks! Before that happens, I have some role-playing to do, though - should get the next post up later today!

"Urrgh...next time I go down to the tavern in Westport to play cards, remind me to never have that particular brand of ale again, Rodrik." he told himself in a low, gravelly baritone.

Except the rare times when she comes home stumbling-drunk, she always takes the time to put her belongings away, the better to start the next morning's work.
Comments like these two make me think Roddy and Fij are gonna get along juuust fine! Not to mention probably Aysik. =)

Comments like these two make me think Roddy and Fij are gonna get along juuust fine! Not to mention probably Aysik. =)
Actually, it occurs to me that even if Fijit does come home drunk, she can temporarily fix it. I'm now picturing this:

Fijit unsteadily rises from the barstool. "Are you going to be able to make it home?" asks the bartender. "Yes, yes, no problem," she giggles. Then she casts Polypurpose Panacea, choosing "sobriety" as the effect. Suddenly she's walking and talking as normal; she waves to the puzzled but reassured bartender and makes her way home. Quickly getting ready for bed, she puts everything away and hops in, just as the spell's duration expires. Giggling once more, she happily drifts off to sleep.

Dreamy and Thomas, being close to the door, can also spot Tillie leaning next to the main house's entry, with a bird sitting on her arm that looks like a younger eagle; definitely not on of Jordenin's messenger birds, but it seems like Tillie still gets along with it just fine. No surprise, really - the girl is gifted where animals are concerned.

"Sweet dreamers," she whispers in prayer to Desna without realizing her thought has been given voice. "Just what is going on?" Her gaze falls on Tillie and her bird. Birds were an incredible rarity in the depths of the Twilight Reaches, the grand undersea city where she called home. She really enjoyed time with Tillie and her birds. But... Lord Jordenin was rising at this hour for some... new bird?

Or was it really a bird at all? Perhaps a bird with paws? And the ability to talk right into your brain?

Purr Purr Would Dreamy not make the connection to the aforementioned messenger birds, if she's spent sufficient time with Tillie? Granted, this one doesn't seem to be a messenger bird exactly, but it seems odd that she jumps straight to wondering whether it's magical, particularly with the eagle right there on Tillie's arm.

Perhaps I've misread something, but her mind is entirely on the dream and the winged creature she met there. She thinks there is some bird out there everyone is looking for and it might turn out to the be magical creature in everyone's dreams. That Tillie has another bird is nothing new. On top of all this, Dreamy, being a sea half-elf, has precious little experience with birds.

Put another way - what connection with the messenger birds? What have I missed?

There was a bird, just now. The Lord asked us to wake you up, that he'd need you.
Dreamy and Thomas, being close to the door, can also spot Tillie leaning next to the main house's entry, with a bird sitting on her arm that looks like a younger eagle; definitely not on of Jordenin's messenger birds, but it seems like Tillie still gets along with it just fine.
Tillie, their daughter
- she helps in the stables, and is the only person tending to the messenger birds.

Something is happening at an unusually early hour of the morning, or very late hour of the night (Merione was asked to wake us up). It seems reasonable to guess that some new information has come to light that requires quick action. Merione mentioned a bird - "just now," which I took to mean it had arrived just now. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to guess that a messenger bird has arrived carrying said information. Maybe I'm wrong about all this, but that was the first thing I thought of even before I read that it was an eagle instead. The eagle could still be the source of whatever information has caused all the hubbub, but either way, it's in Dreamy's line of sight.

It just strikes me as odd, if Dreamy's been hanging out with Tillie, especially if she's done so while Tillie's tending to the birds, that she wouldn't think of Tillie's birds at all (including the one visibly present) and only about the dream one that may or may not even be real, much less here. But she's not my character (and mine's very physical-world-oriented, which may have affected my reading of the scene). If she's too focused on the dream-bird to think about ordinary ones, then you'd know that far better than I would.

Oh! I thought we were being awakened to track down some bird! I hadn't made any connection and thought the eagle as a new pet of Tillie's (eagles are scavengers and thieves, not messenger birds. Well, at least not in Real Life. That's why I didn't make the connection - I have never in my life seen, or even heard of, an eagle used as a messenger bird. I understand pigeons are best and then in number?).

Thanks for explaining it to the ADHD-addled player! I... don't know what to do about this. Heh! What else is new? =)

Oh! I thought we were being awakened to track down some bird! I hadn't made any connection and thought the eagle as a new pet of Tillie's (eagles are scavengers and thieves, not messenger birds. Well, at least not in Real Life. That's why I didn't make the connection - I have never in my life seen, or even heard of, an eagle used as a messenger bird. I understand pigeons are best and then in number?).

Thanks for explaining it to the ADHD-addled player! I... don't know what to do about this. Heh! What else is new? =)
Well, I wouldn't have thought of the eagle as a messenger bird either, but maybe it's just being the message? Or has nothing to do with that at all and is along for the hunting or something. It's the (presumed) arrival of a bird plus sudden summons that led me to the messenger birds (also Tillie's being here, but that could just be for the eagle's convenience).

Heh! Whoops! This is one huge reason Dannigans need Kaerris in their lives - Kaerri explains these things to me that I don't get. It can be tremendously frustrating to me when everyone else in a conversation understands something without any trouble and I am either in the dark and aware of it (usually) or completely unaware of it (like now)! =) I'm not frustrated now though; just to be clear. I'm just happy to be learning new stuff! =)

I'll gladly edit/rewrite Dreamy's post once her Player figures out what's really going on. =)

Yeah. I thought we were being awakened to find a bird namely the gynosphinx (that's the image I have in my head from the dream for some reason - a female sphinx. I could easily be wrong about that too) that appears to have been watching us in the fog-dream. Only our exhausted DM knows for certain and I'm sure he'll straighten all this out in good time! =)

Alrighty, lemme try to clarify some of this:

- In hindsight, Merione should've spoken about a messenger bird - just for clarity. Because that's what happened. In all the time you've been here, no regular bird has ever caused a ruckus like this; then again, this isn't quite the regular night.

- Pigeons are the go-to messenger birds - and Tillie takes care of those. Eagles are birds of prey, and are trained for hunting, if at all. The fact that the bird on Tillie's arm is an eagle is... odd, to say the least. But since it sticks out, that might help Dreamy make the connection that this might be the bird Merione is talking about, too.

- If you're thinking about a female sphinx - you've got the right picture in mind, actually. Just the kind with an animal head (a lioness head, to be precise) - not the kind with a human head like they're often depicted. Since none of you have ever seen one, I'd say that it'd take some sort of roll to have the characters know that; but as the player, keep thinking about a sphinx.

Did I miss something that needs clarification? More questions? Lemme know.

Ways forward:
1) We can stick with the post we have right now.
2) You can edit your post if it doesn't reflect Dreamy's actual thoughts.
3) I can let Tillie come over, now that there's obviously at least someone in the guesthouse awake; she knows what happened.
What's your preference, Purr Purr ?

- In hindsight, Merione should've spoken about a messenger bird - just for clarity. Because that's what happened. In all the time you've been here, no regular bird has ever caused a ruckus like this; then again, this isn't quite the regular night.
Silanon Silanon

/silly on

You... you mean something different is going on in The Roots?! But you said nothing ever changes in The Roots! This... this shakes me... to my roots! 8D

/silly off

- Pigeons are the go-to messenger birds - and Tillie takes care of those. Eagles are birds of prey, and are trained for hunting, if at all. The fact that the bird on Tillie's arm is an eagle is... odd, to say the least. But since it sticks out, that might help Dreamy make the connection that this might be the bird Merione is talking about, too.
O.K.! Thank you for clarifying that! =)

- If you're thinking about a female sphinx - you've got the right picture in mind, actually. Just the kind with an animal head (a lioness head, to be precise) - not the kind with a human head like they're often depicted. Since none of you have ever seen one, I'd say that it'd take some sort of roll to have the characters know that; but as the player, keep thinking about a sphinx.
Oh, how cool! =)

Ways forward:
1) We can stick with the post we have right now.
2) You can edit your post if it doesn't reflect Dreamy's actual thoughts.
3) I can let Tillie come over, now that there's obviously at least someone in the guesthouse awake; she knows what happened.
Option #2, please! I'll try and edit this within 24 hours. =)

I have rewritten her last post and added another. How does that look? Is that accurate? Better, right? Silanon Silanon Kaerri Kaerri

Last edited:
Would others like to join the conversation right now, or would you prefer me to move things a bit forward? Just asking whether I should see to get a post up before my trip, or after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back