• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Fajadi Affair of Descending Fire RY 768 (Exalted 3e Dragon-Blooded) (IC)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
The qadi starts to pull himself to his feet,
"Public consumption in excess is a transgression punishable by public beating. Blaspheming against the Prophets is a transgression punishable by incarceration, public humiliation, and in grave instances death."
each word or phrase is punctuated with an intended and forceful motion. First pulling himself from the ground, then rising to a knee, coming to a crescendo as they finally stand tall, head held high,
"And Bodily Assault of a qadi is to be met in kind or greater, up to and including-"
His eyes meet Alys', and then his gaze breaks and the word catches in his throat. He looks past Alys to Zakasuke, then over to the veritable Exalted Host trailing behind, including the Garrison Commander. He meets the gaze of his fellow qadi, who then turns to walk away.
The assualting qadi is left standing, eyes now averted to the ground.

As Tomiko surveys the vicinity, she notices that the third drunk, not the boy or the elder woman, has what looks to be a flamepiece tucked away in their clothes and they have their hand near it. Among the heads starting to turn from the market no one really sticks out in particular, although the same red scarves dot the landscape, and the black cowl of another qadi can be seen moving in the crowd. Lastly, at the far end of the market, you see someone remarkable for two reasons: they are wearing immaculate robes, and they don't seem to be looking towards the action, although they have stopped. No one looks to be moving to riot yet.

After the above transpires, Tomiko also notices that before the second qadi turned to walk away he gave a slight head gesture in response to the first qadi's look.

2 point stunt so +1 success. He has a Resolve of 4, +4 for a Defining Intimacy for enforcing Abhari Law, but -2 for respect for House Cathak. SO SUCCESSFULL INTIMIDATION THAT WAS A CLOSE ONE.

Last edited:
Alys keeps her eyes locked on the qadi in front of her with a hard glare, but raises her voice enough to be heard by the trio behind her. "Boy, are you injured? Do you need a healer?" Her tone seems to say that for the qadi's sake, he had best not be in need one.

Last edited:
Obviously shaken, the boy's speech is slurred, but if that is from the booze or the beating is hard to say,
"I just want to go home."
The, relatively, elder woman uses the opening in the tension to kneel down to help the youth. After a quick check she sighs,
"He'll have a black eye, a bruised cheek, and a story in the morning, but not much more."
The third drunk, who Tomiko knows is carrying a concealed weapon, seems frozen in place.

Tomiko makes an idle observation, loud enough to be heard by all. "Tell me, aren't flamepieces a bit unusual this far North? I would expect to see one in the South, but I am rather surprised to spot a person carrying one here." She looks at the man trying to hide his weapon in his coat and points an accusing finger at him. "What are your plans with that weapon, good sir?"

Alys' eyes flick from the qadi to see Tomiko pointing her finger at the group behind her. Looking back at the man she threw, she says, "Lets not make this any worse for you than it already will be. Back. Off. Now. Before someone really gets hurt." She keeps her focus on the qadi, but all the while, Alys can feel a tingling in between her shoulder blades. If that fool behind me does decide to fire, I do hope to have a bit of warning from the others.

If it was possible to look any more dumbstruck than he already had, the armed, and now outed, man looked just that. He stammers incoherently.

The qadi looked quizzically at Tomiko at first, not sure if he had understood their accent correctly for a moment, but then it all fell into place for them. Proving to everyone gathered that he wasn't merely a forceful brute, in a display of skill, with a single sweeping motion the qadi disarms the man, which finally breaks him from his shock. The now disarmed man stumbles as he recoils, almost as if he was afraid of the flamepiece even before he was relieved of it.
The qadi holds the weapon by the muzzle, with his other hand held in the air demonstrating that he means no further aggression,
"I'm seizing this, and leaving here. May His graceful eyes watch over you all."
And backing away slowly at first, reticent to turn his back on Alys, the qadi returns to his mount, and if unmolested further, leaves the market.

Axan was standing still, his stance saying to those who regard him, that he's idle, but if hell breaks loose, he WILL wade in, and not quail from it. Luckily, it seems not to be needed, but he definitely realized his education didn't cover enough info about the strange faith these people held, and that can be dangerous.

Zakasuke releases the handle of his weapon, the current in his body breaking in a sudden snap. The disappointment at not getting to punish the heathen man seemed replaced with a cold shiver in his spine. 'What the hells am I doing? I was nearly ready to execute that man. I thought I was a scholar, not a warrior...' his mind echoed. When the qadi eventually leaves he'd plop back down to a seated position, heaving a large airy sigh. "I really am glad you are here, Tomiko. I worry these zealous heathens would seek to undermine Alys, Mei, and the rest of the good folk here. Perhaps it's good I was lead to be here. I see I was taking a lot of wisdom and kin for granted." Zakasuke added, a somewhat deflated look to his expression from the sudden de-escalation.

With tension slacking and the dust settling, the market started to go about it's business, almost as if time had stood still and immediately rushed back in to place, the crowd went on with their lives as if nothing had happened, for a casual observer anyways. If Tomiko took a second glance for the figure in immaculate robes, they were nowhere to be seen.

The inebriated trio put forth a great effort, as to whom was helping whom at any given moment was a topic for much debate, and made it to their boat. After a rocky shove-off, and some difficulty coordinating rowing, they found their stride, with the rocking of the waves miraculously seeming to balance them out.

"Well that was a shit show. Certainly gives us even more to talk about. Unless someone wants to pick up some spices, I suggest we get moving. Lead the way cousin." Mnemon Sanesh sardonically plodded, mustering all of her usual grace, or lack thereof.

At first I had a hazy vision of what I wanted out of Mnemon Sanesh, and it finally snapped in to place. For a good mental image, picture Katee Sackoff's Starbuck from the BSG reboot.

The Halls of Fire-Blood are carved from the spines that ran down the length of Pyrevein's massive tail. Though small compared to the massive Behemoth, each of the spines that spiral out from the central keep are taller than thicker than most of the city's great towers. The central keep is formed from the massive mace-like end of the great beast's talk. The architecture of the Manse is dominated by the intricately carved patterns in the walls of the bone-towers, each with its own variation around the central theme. Even in the depth of the Northern winter, the walls give off the heat of the Behemoth's firey nature, and its blood heats the many baths in both the buildings and the gardens surrounding them. The gardens are likewise famous for the wide variety of flowers, herbs and trees otherwise only found in the heat of the South and South-East.

d074af1f6cb5c209ad5a1a5ac36d370e.png

This is, of course, inspired by the Alhambra in Grenada, which I figured went well with the Fajadi themes. Except, this being Exalted, it's built from the carved bones of an ancient monster rather than marble, but so it goes.

Soon the Exalts find themselves seated in a gazebo, surrounded by beautiful and fragrant flowers as well as the pleasant music of birds that have no business living this far north of the Blessed Isle. Though the architecture is hardly a stable of Realm aesthetics, everything else is reminiscent of home. From the porcelain to the tea and other refreshments, Sayan has built for herself a refuge from all things Northern and barbarous.

"Now that we're all seated," their host opens once they are indeed all gathered in her home, "perhaps it would be prudent to discuss the earlier disagreements in a manner more befitting Princes of the Earth." Though she shares her attention among all of those assembled, it is clear that her words are addressed to her fellow residents of the city.

Axan nods his head in agreement at Sayan's words, though his attention, ever since they saw the Manse from the outside, was riveted by it's design. He studied it deeply, trying to gauge its secrets, so he can one day construct a magnificent Manse like this, when he finds a suitable Demesne.

Although Mnemon Senesh wasn't always the strongest in social settings, this little slice of home helps put her at ease. It reminds her of one of the few times that she actually had tea with her house's matriarch, which was undoubtedly intentional on Sayan's part. That, combined with her growing desperation, and a veritable Exalted Host gathered, finally allows her to overcome whatever lingering resentment she might have for her cousin. She also seemed eager to speak her peace before the Satrap was able to join them.
"Alright Sayan, I've held you at arm's length long enough. I just didn't want another babysitter. Do you know how difficult it is to distinguish yourself as a garrison commander when your Satrap was a former dragonlord from one of the military houses? Even when I do have successes, it gets chalked up to that damned Cathak."
She quickly turns to Alys,
"Forgive me."
She takes a sip of tea and lets out a sigh,
"Mei just thinks I am getting caught up in the petty squabbles of the locals, that I have gotten too close to these heretics, but the danger is real, you saw so yourselves! That boy you saved was spouting rebellious rhetoric, and his friend was armed!"
she leans forward,
"What few patrols I can muster have been finding more and more flame weapons among the bandits and brigands we have been apprehending, and it all started after the consortium discovered they could make firedust from something inside that unholy floor furnace they constantly carve into."
she looks at the splendor around them, carved from that self-same unholy floor furnace, and then her cousin,
"Forgive me."
she continues,
"We've only been able to keep the peace here with so few troops because of the Creed. Now that those un'Atzali heretics have taken root on the far shore, everything is starting to fall apart."
She starts to get a little hysterical as this goes on, coming to a crescendo,
"We don't have enough guards for the tribute, there are armed laborers crying rebellion in the streets, and The Green Demon is-"
"Shut your mouth soldier. You're rambling about folk tales. We have work to do and you're here crying about scary stories for children."
Cathak Mei barked from a doorway. A servant that was meant to announce her arrival sheepishly shrinks away.
"The tribute will be fine. Not that I need to enlighten you to the intricacies of running a satrapy, but if we spent any more on protection, we'd be sending that meager tribute home at a loss. Besides, that may only be a talon, but it is a Cathak talon. Even if these backwater upstarts are foolish enough to follow some silly spirits, they are smart enough to not attack the Cathaks."
The satrap takes a few metered steps over, and not lacking all sense of decorum waits to be seated,
"And as for your rebellion. I was just given word that those two upstarts were found executed. Crushed by stones in some town square over on the North bank."

Alys sits forward sharply. "Wait! Who just got killed? Was it the two men that were with the boy? Is there any ideas on who did it?" She looks over at Tomiko. "This looks like a place for a trained investigator to look into. Fortunately, we have one right here. I know you have other things to look into, but if there is a way to defuse this religious rebellion, I say we make use of your skills. What do you think?"

Sherwood Sherwood

Axan ponders the information told to them by Mnemon Senesh, and Cathak Mei. He didn't think he has much to add to the discussion, just yet, but the mention of a substance harvested from the beast that acts like firedust piques his interest. It wouldn't be something he's had to his idea of a Jade Spear he wanted to fashion for himself, but it could prove worthy to add to a future Artifact.
For now, he remained silent, but was eagerly listening in.

Tomiko nods. "I agree. I can go to investigate what there is, but it should be done as soon as possible so any evidence is not lost. I need details on where the deaths took place, how they were found, everything. Then, I want to look over the place that they were killed and examine the bodies." She rises, all thoughts of a restful afternoon gone as her duty calls. "I know nothing of this town; I'll need a guide to find my way around. Anyone wish to join me? We may be able to find out something interesting."

"Easy cousin. I only know what I've been told, and I wasn't there for any of this. My source described the two bodies as belonging to 'the drunk boy' and 'the jumpy one with the flame piece', but didn't mention anyone else."
WIth the flurry of activity, Mei gives a quick bow to Sayan as an apology for all of the breaches in etiquette, and has a seat.
"There are a few immaculate monks that regularly venture over to the North bank to try and convert a few heathens. The bodies were already there when he came to do his usual song and dance to anyone who would listen in the square. Reportedly the monk couldn't get much information out of any of the locals, but they're pretty notorious for closing ranks whenever something goes down over there."
She let out a brief sigh, knowing how this next bit of information would land,
"They were crushed to death, by having stones placed on top of them. It's the traditional execution of the Qadis, The monk didn't see any at the scene, and the Grand Mosque has been hush hush so far."
Mei leans in,
"Officially, Abhari's administering Abhari justice is something I don't meddle in, especially this close to paying tribute, so we can't send the legion in, but I legally can't stop a magistrate from doing anything so have at."
Mei turns and points a finger in Senesh's face,
"and that means you too. The garrison commanders presence would muddy this whole thing even further."
Senesh has gone pale, and speechless during this whole exchange. Mei continues,
"Under the circumstances I'm not even sure we can provide you with an honor guard, but you shouldn't need one with my cousin here with you."
she gestures to Alys, who is assumedly most imposing, being armed and armored.
"As for getting around, I believe the square in question isn't too far from Yasimin Taraq's compound. Not to presume too much of my lady,"
she looks softly at Sayan,
"but I believe that would mean you are familiar with the area."

Alys gives the Air Aspect a grin. "Don't worry, your monkiness. I will go along to make sure that no one provides you with any trouble. I'll make sure that we get through this in one piece together. I can leave at any time."

Tomiko raises an eyebrow. 'Your monkiness?' That is a new one for me. Its quite humorous. I'll have to remember that. She looks over at the Fire Aspect with a nod and a smile. "I shall trust in you to provide sufficient security, so I shall not worry for my safety. Thank you. Anyone else wish to come along?"

"Not at all," Sayan dismisses Mei's concerns with a smile, "I am indeed familiar with the area, and though I doubt I will be of much assistance to an Imperial Magistrate regarding the scene of this dreadful occurrence itself, I may be able to offer some small aid in the matter of dealing with the locals." Turning back to Cathak Mei, she ask "have your soldiers secured the scene?"

Zakasuke volunteers, speaking in a comparatively quiet tone to Senesh and Mei. "I'll go. I think I'd be of better use assisting the investigation."

Axan rises to his feet. "If you don't mind, I will go with you." It was partly because he wanted to be near Menmon Sayan, and partly because of Zakasuke knew the place to help, it might be a place to know for his own ends.

Tomiko nods. "Looks like we have quite the crowd coming along. Just remember to watch what you touch and where you step. Even the most trivial appearing item might be of critical importance. Also, I fully expect to have an angry crowd to deal with once we get there. Be ready for anything. Shall we go?"

"Regrettably, the legion and the garrison both need to stay out of this. Thankfully, the Immaculates have the scene under control. This must be the first Abhari execution since you have graced us with your presence. They have a peculiar custom of leaving the bodies on display without being disturbed, something about unquiet dead proving guilt. nasty business."
Senesh looks like she wants to say something in defense of the heretics, but a steely glance from Mei quiets her.
"One time many years ago a hungry ghost assaulted a visiting Dynast. In the resulting blizzard of negotiations we secured the Immaculates the right to lay wards and stand vigil. I'll have some wind-carried words sent ahead so the monk on duty knows to expect you."

Tomiko nods. "Thank you. If there are spirits in the area, I can see them, and perhaps they will be able to provide us with some much needed information. I have many questions, including what happened to the woman that was with the two victims? Is she safe, or has she met with foul play also?" She shakes her head. Too many questions and no answers unless we can pry them out of the crime scene. We should move quickly. Time erases much of what I need to work with."

"Very well then," Sayan says and unhurriedly drinks the last of her tea. As her long sleeves hide her mouth, she quickly sends a whisper on the wind to Yasinim Taraq, "darling, the dead near your compound has attracted the attention of a visiting imperial magistrate. I will be accompanying her to the scene, and would appreciate it if you had any information regarding the execution and time to discuss it."

Once her cup is empty and her message sent, she rises from her seat and makes ready to follow Tomiko to the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back