• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Fajadi Affair of Descending Fire RY 768 (Exalted 3e Dragon-Blooded) (IC)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Oh no, I insist, cousin," Sayan says with a smile that is sadly unseen by Axan's averted eyes, "none of the establishments here are worthy of catering to the Princes of the Earth, and it is no imposition at all. It will be my distinct pleasure, we have so few guests from the Isle and I long for news and new friends." She gently places her delicate hand on his, making her seem even smaller than she does otherwise next to the giant of a man, "please," she entreats.

Instead of arguing with the very insistent woman, Tomiko simply says, "Thank you for your offer of a place to stay. I had not made up my mind on where to lay my head tonight, so your offer comes at a very good time." She turns her attention to Axan. "Come and join us?"

Zakasuke bows, face still flushed from anxiety. This situation struck him as potentially improper, but if two others would be there, it'd just be a private party right? Enshu uncurled in his hand and quietly coughed up a tiny ring of smoke before slowly climbing his way back into his claimed pocket, jarring Zakasuke into speaking. "Well, um... I guess there's no harm in it. If It's no trouble, of course, then I'll accept the offer. I'll also keep some ears out for word on other ruins. I've already combed through the last one pretty thoroughly." He added, pulling his book back out. It looked like a worn journal, scribed in old realm with an overtly pristine and consistent script. The young sorcerer theorized it was transcribed by an artifact of the old realm, but he'd let his companions draw what conclusions they would if they cared to look.

Axan seems to tremble a bit at her touch. Such a beautiful woman invites him, and he has not a gift to give her for her hospitality. And he stops trembling, and produces a small multicolored rock he had found years ago, thinking he might find a use for it, and never did, till now. And then, channeling his essence through his arms, and through his bracers, he begins to work the stone. A pair of ghostly arms erupt from his shoulders, as he carves the multicolored rock into the shape of House Mnemon's Mon. The entire process takes a couple of minutes.

As he finishes the work, he presents it to Mnemon Sayan "I accept your invitation, if you would accept this humble gift."

Spending 14m + 1 wp on activating Stone-Carving Fingers and Flawless Facet Realizaion and adding two dice from Masterful Dragon-Artisan Expertise.
Assuming I can use my Craft (Architecture) to carve a simple rock, I have a dice pool of 16, and with Flawelss Facet realizaion I get to reroll 2 non-1 failures.

So, got a total of 11 successes, which I assume is enough to pull this off. I get one bonus silver experience because one of the rerolls was a success. If our ST gives me a staunt, it's another silver experience, and that's without the usual experience give for a successful craft project, which I need to check when i get back home.
I checked the book, this was an exceptional success, so I gain 3 silver experience, if the lovely Mnemon Sayan gains an intimacy towards me. And 3 more if your ST thinks that one of my character's intimacies applies.

Last edited:
In the moments before Cathak Alys makes their way over to the Satrap, and while Mnemon Sayan becomes entangled with the serendipitous appearence of several scions, Mnemon Senesh and Cathak Mei seem to begin to have a hushed, but escalating, exchange of words.

As Alys enters within earshot to present themselves they hear the last terse exchange as the commander spits out between gritted teethe,
"what do you mean you didn't relay my concerns?!"
and the Satrap glares back, attempting to put an end to the conversation and welcome their kin all in the same breath,
"My word is final, and I will not hear any more of it-- Cousin!"
Alys' greetings are met with a smile and polite laugh from the Satrap,
"Yes, your letter was welcome news, and you are at your leisure in my small portion of Creation. If you change your mind you are welcome at my estate."
Mei, an air aspect, had a reputation as being a particularly icy dragonlord when she was in the legions, but not many know just how breezy she can be around relatives. Her hair is pulled tight, and while she wears finery, now more a bureaucrat than a soldier, it is of a cut and style that is ready for action.

Mnemon Senesh, a water aspect of not many, but not few years, lets the momentary squabble go, flowing into greeting the seemingly able-bodied young Dynast,
"Well met Cathak Alys. No I do not think I have had the pleasure before, but the pleasure is all mine. Especially now, I welcome every drop of the Dragon's blood into the city."
The ice returns to Mei as she shoots a dagger glance at Senesh.

If Sayan was close enough to hear the tiff, whatever concerns Senesh was referring to, she hasn't shared them with you, at least directly. Senesh knows you don't approve of her, and has been distant. A successful Read Intentions against their Guile of 4 and everything will come together for you.

The aerial entrance of our sorcerer, combined with the increasing congregation of Dynasts has started to draw some attention. A black armored qadi, bearing the sigil of Metsa'an, face obscured by veil and mail, with khopesh at his side, has turned their attention away from the hum of the market, and seems to be observing the goings on, if from a distance. A second, mounted on a great horned moose with shaggy grey fur, with saddle and barding that almost make it look like a third qadi, meanders on patrol up to the first and stops. They don't seem to speak.

Architecture counts IMO. The same skills to make scale models and drafts would work for this. I was impressed with what you did, don't know about ms. Mnemon, so I will call that 2 point stunt. I'll also say that you were also well over the difficulty, so don't bother with additional dice, just take your WP.
I'll be generous to get your silver pool going, and say that a show of crafting prowess like this counts towards your defining Intimacy of Build a Legacy of Artifice.

I'll be frank, and just out and say that Cathak Mei looks like Ming Na Wen, especially similar to her portrayal of Agent May, in SHIELD. I'll try and drum up some fanart and get a Lore thread together.

While I'm being succinct in sharing some inspiration, I'm seeing the qadis as Final Fantasy Judges meets 2000 AD Judges meets religious leader.

Also, sorry if the flow of this requires some dramatic editing of the overlapping timing of some dialogue. For whatever reason, I didn't expect you all to latch onto the dock portion. In hindsight, it seems rather obvious, and I should have given you more to go on.

Alys gives the two Exalts a smile. "Thank you for the warm welcome, but I can't help but notice that there is a bit of tension between the two of you. Is there something that I might be able to help out with, perhaps? Sometimes a independent opinion can make the difference, and I promise that I won't let my family ties keep me from giving honest feedback."

As Axan works, Sayan regards him with curiosity and admiration, though her attention is interrupted by occasional glimpses in the direction of her fellow locals, such as they are, and the last Exalted passenger of the ship. If she makes any particular note of their conversation, she does nothing to show it to the people surrounding her now.

Once the craftsman's gift for her is complete she takes it and looks up at him, her eyes catching his and her smile lighting up her face. "The gift of your work is a great one indeed, Ragara Axan, and I am honoured to accept it."

Rolling Per+Soc with 2 sux from Loquacious Courtier Technique to grasp what's going on in the conversation. I have 7+2 = 9 total successes, I think that should be enough for now ;)

Last edited:
Tomiko doesn't try to read the intentions of Axan, instead she just watches with fascination as he works. "Wonderful! You are truly gifted, and I regret not having a guest gift of my own to give you. Perhaps you can bear with me long enough to acquire one in town for you, Sayan."

Ragara Axan nods, and for the first time, he meets her gaze, his grey eyes twinkling. "Then I would graciously accept your invitation."

Even though her cousin had been trying to shut out Sayan's prying eyes of late, their lapse in discretion just now gave up the game, as the fragments and hints over the weeks prior all come into focus for Sayan.

There has been talk of a new Abhari heresy taking root on the North Bank, especially among the miners, and it has Senesh very worried. Fear of this unknown element has been instilled into them when they've been spending time in the Grand Mosque. This, in tandem with the garrison being understaffed and the somewhat small contingent arriving on the boat, has them very concerned about the safety of the tribute, and for anyone here from the Realm.

Given the above, do you interject into Mei, Senesh, and Alys' conversation?

Zakasuke watches the exchange between the three officials on the docks, attempting to get a read of the situation himself. 'Two Mnemons of high profile... Cathak seems to resent the gratitude of Senesh for Cathak Alys and possibly the rest of our arrival, despite one of us being of a rival house...' raising a hand to his chin in thought, only catching the comments on their surface. 'I'm no socialite, but it looks to me like the Satrap is being treated as the outsider here... what in dragons name has happened?'

[Spending a will and Rolling... only the 1 success from the will as expected]

The sorcerer stews in silence for a moment, unsettled by his inability to read the ripples in the pond. Trying not to insult his current companions, he turns to Axan with a light jab of the elbow and a pat on the back. "Nice work friend. Very impressive."

Last edited:
Axan bows his head at Zakasuke's words. "This is but a small thing, compared to the power of Sorcery, or of Sorcerous Workings, but it is my preferred medium." His Heptagram education makes him less prejudiced against Sorcerers, less than most Dragon-Blooded, and he seems to forget that that is the general sentiment.

Zakasuke smiled, "No don't sell yourself short like that. Your art carries with it a piece of your own self, don't let anyone diminish its brilliance. Very few can work with such speed when making anything of quality."

Sayan's smile widens ever so slightly and her eyes get a faint sparkle, "splendid," she says and tucks Axan's gift into the many layers of her robes. "Now, I apologize for my rudeness, but I fear that I must interject myself elsewhere and pour a little oil on the troubled waters." She bows to the assembled Princes of the Earth and swiftly weaves her way to stand between Cathak Mei and Mnemon Senesh.

"Cousins, while it is gratifying as always to see the care you have for this Satrapy and the Realm in its entirety, this is perhaps neither the time nor the place for a discussion such as this." She lets her eyes glance pointedly in the direction of the oncoming qadis, "if I may make a suggestion, my manse is close by and there you could carry on this particular conversation in private and in comfort."

While it looks as if Mnemon Sanesh was about to take Cathak Alys' offer and let the floodgates of their problems spill over, Mnemon Sayan's timely and elegant proposition gave Cathak Mei the breath she needed to cool things off,
"A fine idea Sayan. It has been far too long since I have visited your manse, and this is the perfect excuse. How about you all go ahead of me while I wrap up this dull business with the little legion here."
Sanesh looks at Mei defiantly for a moment. Mei doesn't flinch. Sanesh acquiesces,
"Yes, a fine idea. We shouldn't have to wait long. Inspecting so few troops should be a breeze."
The Satrap lets the parting shot blow right past her, as she smiles and bows out to accumulated dynasts, and turns to continue her work.

Feeling somewhat miffed at the low confidence in the troops of her House, Alys lets it pass with the comment said loud enough for the legionnaires to hear her, "They may be few, but let me assure you, they are well trained. I should know; I've worked with most of them myself, showing them the art of the blade. But, instead of trying to convince you of that myself, I shall let their skill become apparent to you through their own actions and discipline." She glances over her shoulder at the troops with a smile. Damn right they are good people. "Let us be on our way."

Tomiko looks between the Satrap and the Garrison Commander, wondering just what the trouble is between the two of them, but also realizing that in many cases, knowledge comes with time. Her attention then turns to the other member of House Cathak, Alys. She is very protective of the soldiers of her House, even though she is not the officer in charge. Her mind races, trying to recall everything she can about the charismatic woman. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Stepping up, the Immaculate Monk gives everyone a winning smile. "Yes, I am quite drained from all this sea travel, and I look forward to a good meal and a hot bath. Lead on!"

Axan didn't notice the tension till now, his attention focused on Sayan. And he reluctantly realizes he has to pay attention to what is going on. He was here to explore and learn. And failing to do so did not bode well. The only times he should ignore things around him, is when he is crafting.

Zakasuke plays a short tune upon Dragonsong to call Kumosan from his roost nearby. With that he'd hop up slightly with the windy pillow sweeping up beneath him. His concern regarding the situation grew but Alys confidence seemed to warm his spirit somewhat. 'Sayan, Axan, Tomiko, Alys, and myself... short of an incursion from the Bull I think we should be fine but... something smells funny.' his hand went back to the handle of his daiklave. The thrum of life and martial ambition surged from his arm to his chest and a subtle smile reached the edges of his mouth. His fear quieted, he followed the group in silence for a time as he pondered just what his sword would make of him.

[Zakasuke adds the one success from the excellency to remove penalties from influencing spirits. Though the roll is so trash it just saves from a botch]

Last edited:
Axan was impressed with Zakasuke's Artifacts. He well recalled the story of how a fellow artificer had completed the Daiklaive shortly before graduation. Maybe in time, he'd be able to craft that spear he had been envisioning. But for now, he still needed to figure out what materials he's gonna use to make it, and secure them.

"Wonderful!" Sayan says, pointedly ignoring the less than polite tone her fellow dragons have with each other. "Shall we go?" She asks as they finish their cursory inspection of the troops.

While the situation has been at least temporarily defused at the Realm dock, a new one is about to develop at the adjacent slip. A raucous boom of laughter echoes out over the low murmur of the marketplace as three people approach a small boat tied up at the nearest post to the area designated for Realm use.

Their clothes are simple, rough spun, utilitarian, and a little worse for wear, but all three have bright red scarves around their necks, marking them as miners. Unbleached linen scarves are given to all miners who work in the depths of the behemoth, to cover their mouths and filter out a miasma that permeates Pyrevein's body: a miasma that dyes the scarves the emblematic color. What they thought was so funny is beyond anyone, but they would most likely find anything funny from the look of them, as they are passing around a bottle. A bottle which does not appear to be their first, nor is it very close to full, and it is most likely stronger than afternoon tea.

The disturbance didn't go unnoticed by the nearby qadis. After a brief hushed exchange, the mounted qadi stowed his polearm, and dismounted. As the qadi saunters over to the rabble-rousers, they start to giggle and hush one another. The eldest of the miners seems to start to apologize to the qadi, but the judge brushes past past her and grabs the youngest of the trio, who couldn't be more than 16, by the scarf and starts to manhandle the scared and stinking drunk boy. The scene erupts into shoves and screams as the boy's friends try to help him.
The boy shouts,
"False peace, and false prophets!" a rallying cry of the suppressed heresy.
The qadi responds with a backhand from his mailed fist, sending the youth to the ground.

Alys frowns. Brilliant. This is how riots start. Then, when the armored man backhands the kid, her frown deepens. Before she is even aware of doing so, she finds herself marching over. Reaching out, she grabs the front of the qadi's uniform with one hand and lifts him up, feet dangling in the air. Through clenched teeth, she snarls out, "You are an armored man hitting a child? How very honorable of you!" With a powerful heave, she throws the man back to land on his ass several feet away. "You want to hit someone, hit me!" With that, she plants herself between the fallen youth and the qadi.
I have a Str of 5, with an Athletics score of 3 with a specialty of Feats of Strength. Do I need to make a roll to hoist the man up, or is it a given that I can do so?

5 successes in an intimidation roll.

Last edited:
Zakasuke had hesitated, while yes a scion of the Empress had the ability to do as he pleased in theory. In practice, lording oneself over the populace of another house's satrapy was rather rude, to put mildly. Having tacit permission to act by Alys's outburst, he floated in behind on his cloud. Sparks crackled up his hands to his shoulders briefly upon grasping the handle of his daiklave. He remained still with weapon sheathed. His disgust for the heretic plain upon his face. 'Give me a reason to divorce your head from your shoulders, pretender.'

Before Tomiko jumps into the mix, the Air Aspect looks about the crowd with a frown, trying to see if there is someone trying to agitate the crowd and make this small incident build into a full blown riot.
4 successes on my Perception Roll.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Willpower: 6

Personal: 13
Peripheral: 31 (21)
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 6 + 3 successes