• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Fajadi Affair of Descending Fire RY 768 (Exalted 3e Dragon-Blooded) (IC)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With the call to action affirmed, the group heads out. Through a side exit, they are lead down a private street, only accessible from the villas and compounds of the neighborhood, which eventually leads them to a modest, yet secure, dock where a small, yet well appointed, yacht is moored. Though the water itself is peaceful, and the area secluded, it is rather noisy as the local pest, puffins, squawk about in droves.

As the pleasure-craft disembarks under the power of oarsmen, it's almost as if tea service had gone uninterrupted between manse and deck, as a servant pours a fresh cup for all present while seated at a strikingly similarly appointed table on a striking similarly decorated portion of the deck.

Out on the channel the air is a bit sharper as the unnatural warmth of the land and water has had less chance to turn it, causing little banks of fog here and there. Periodically, an exposed undersea portion of the entombed behemoth casts an orange glow on the hull.

As you clear the south bank, and approach the far side, the Needle looms on the horizon.

View media item 37568

Alys stands in the prow of the ship, watching as the other shore draws closer. She speaks loud enough to be heard over the sounds of the squawking birds. "So, Tomiko, what is the plan once we get to the scene of the crime? As I said before, I know little of investigating crimes. Whenever a problem came up in the Legions, I would call in the experts like you to do the work of digging out the truth." She is doing her best not to show it, but Alys is quite angry at the thought of the boy she had protected getting killed, and is very anxious to get to the bottom of this. When we find out who did this, I'm going to shove my gauntleted fist down their throats and I'll pull out their spleen and show it to them.

Tomiko looks up at the other woman as she sips her tea. "Much of what I need to decide to do I won't know until I get there. I need to look over the area as much as I can, and everyone that disturbs the crime scene will just make that task harder. I would like of you to do your best to keep all comers from walking into the area and ruining any evidence that I may be able to spot." She looks over to the other Exalts in the boat. "The same for all of you. If you think you spot something of interest, tell me from a distance so you don't step on anything critical. Can I count on everyone to do that?"

As the oars slosh the vessel closer to it's destination, a fog bank rolls away. To most observers, nothing in particular is of note, but Sayan can see that on a certain dock on the far side there is a green lantern, even visible in the daylight. A signal that her message was received, and that she is welcome at her partner's abode.

"So, basically, keep out of your way and let you do your work. I can do that." Alys chuckles. "Normally, I'm not one to keep my hands in my pockets, but I'll follow your lead here, and be a human shield for you to be protected." With that, she turns her attention back out across the waves to the other dock.

"Of course," Sayan agrees pleasantly and sets down her cup once more. "I shall seek out an associate of mine who lives nearby and see if she would be willing to assist your investigation, and perhaps if she or some of her people have seen anything."

The rest of the boat ride goes on in relative silence, the rhythmic sound of the oars underscoring the tension hanging in the sharp autumn air.

The dock almost seems a mirror of the one that the group had pulled away from, secluded, well appointed, and inundated with noisy puffins. If anyone cares to look far to the left or right, the difference in capital invested in the infrastructure is readily apparent. While money has obviously, and recently, been sunk into the slip used by the well off, the boats and ties just at the edge of view are dilapidated, to put it kindly.

Sayan is able to lead them down a few private alleys, where some effort has been spent to keep the facades up to date and clean, but through the occasional barred gate or embrasure degradation and squalor can be glimpsed. Eventually it opens up onto a major thoroughfare not too far from the square in question. While it normally would have a bit of bustle at this time of day, it is almost deserted. Just a short stint on the eerily quiet road leads the group to their destination.

The Plaza is still and silent, except for a lone Immaculate Monk mumbling prayers and laying a line of salt a respectable distance from a grotesque installation. The surrounding establishments almost appear to be cobbled homages to the lounges and salons surrounding the South Bank Bazaar, but where those ornate storefronts were wide open to welcome the autumn air, these plain portals were all shuttered, except one where the large door seems to be too broken to fully close, and one more that appears to have been recently torn down to make way for new construction and or excavation.

Alys is the first off of the boat, then she turns to offer a helping hand to any that might need assistance in getting off of the bobbing vessel. Keeping a close watch as they go down the streets, the Fire Aspect keeps a scowl on her face to ward off anyone from walking up to her. Yeah, its not like the heavy armor and massive sword on my back is not enough of a deterrent to friendly conversations.

As they approach the scene of the murders, Alys' scowl deepens as she sees for the first time what was done to the two men. Making sure that she doesn't step too close, she looks over at Tomiko. "Well, Sister, we have arrived. Its now up to you to get some information, if possible. No pressure."

Tomiko acknowledges the comment with a nod and a gentle hand placed on the other woman's shoulder. "Thank you, Alys. Let me see what I can delve into here." Before walking over to the other Immaculate Monk, Tomiko takes a few moments to just stand there and look over the whole area. After that, she carefully steps over the salt line and walks carefully over to make her introductions to the Monk laying the salt down. "Greetings. I am Leedal Tomiko. Please tell me what you can about this."
I'm going to go ahead and spend 6m from Personal Essence to add +3 Successes on my Investigation roll from the Charm Indisputable Physical Analysis Technique. It lets me reroll any 6's that come up.
Total of seven successes on my Int + Investigation roll.

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Willpower: 6

Personal: 13 / 7
Peripheral: 31 (21)
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 7 + 3 successes

Parry: 6
Evasion: 5 / 6 vs Ranged Attacks

Total Soak: 9
Hardness: 4

Guile: 4
Resolve: 4

Infinite Jade Chakram - Melee: Accuracy +5, Damage +10, Overwhelming 3
Infinite Jade Chakram - Ranged: Accuracy Close +5, Short +4, Medium +3, Long 0

Last edited:
With his fellow Dynasts around, Axan begins a meditation routine, and feels his energy pulses as it reaches out to the surrounding area, seeking to see what he can find, as his essence maps out the elemental patterns around him.

Spending 5 motes personal for Fivefold Resosnace Sense:
She may spend up to a scene in meditation, during which she can sense the presence of the five elements — weather patterns, rock formations and geology, fires, bodies of water, living plants, and similar elemental manifestations — out to (the higher of Essence or 3) range bands. Their presence is revealed to her without a roll. In addition, she adds a single non-Charm bonus die on any Awareness, Investigation, Occult, or Survival rolls to detect or track jade, elementals, elemental demesnes and manses, or other form of elemental magic for the duration.

As they enter the plaza and note the absence of local witnesses or signs of trouble, Sayan excuses herself with the utmost politeness and leaves the others behind as she makes her way to the Taraq consortium's central compound. Her gait is relaxed and supremely confident, here walks a woman who is immaculately dressed, utterly sure of herself, and does not have the slightest reason to fear walking by herself through narrow alleyways.

In isolation, all the small things didn't mean much, but Tomiko could see them all, and they were more than their sum. First, the stones stacked on top of the unfortunate were very large, and would take several people to move, not to mention how many it would take to hold down those they were meant for. A quick glance over to the plot under construction shows several similar stones still present at the site, but there aren't any signs of the rocks being dragged along the ground. Although this is a busy area, whatever altercations led to the present predicament left some clear signs. There's a slight trail of of blood leading from the salon with the broken door to their final resting place. If the qadis had been here in force, they hadn't brought any of their mounts with them, as there were no signs of animals having been in the area.

The monk gives a bow and speaks in hushed tones as they return to their work,
"Suffering indignity at the whims of heretics and savages. Instead of helping these souls ascend the ladder of reincarnation, I'm reduced to laying salt to keep their unquiet ghosts from wreaking havoc. How supposedly holy men could do something so grim is beyond my reasoning."

------------------

As Axan focuses, the elements reveal themselves to him. It starts with the air flowing softly through the plaza, then extending down to feel the bedrock beneath him. It sprawls out under the buildings, except, in the same salon with the broken door, he can feel in the back the rock gives way. The void of rock feels engineered, cut, like a passage. In this passage you can feel a great fire, and a tingle of something else.

------------------

Sayan approaches Yasimin's compound at the same time as Yasimin's Valet, Guillard, approaching from the opposite direction. A tall thin exile from Coral, Guillard projects a disquieting air, and rumors abound about the man of particular fashion and affectation. The most prevalent is that he is the offspring of a Coralese privateer and a sea-fae, though any who work up the courage or audacity to ask him to his face are only met with a smirk. The Valet and Dynast reach the gate at the same time, and the servant adjusts his pure white gloves as he bows and greets Sayan,
"Ah, my lady. My master said I should be expecting you. May I have a moment to prepare a welcome for you, or is the matter urgent?"

Feel free to roll Perception + ability of your choice provided by your charm to identify the feeling you are getting from the passage.

Sensing

It's an Occult Charm. Am spending 3 motes on Hidden Secrets Whisper, which also lets me reroll one non-1 failed die for every 10 rolled

As Axan focuses on that familiar feeling, it starts to become clearer and clearer. An artifact hewn of red jade, and the heat and fire seem to be coming from it.

Axan comes out of his meditation, and looks around. He then moves towards Peleps Zakasuke, and whispers "There seems to be a Jade Artifact nearby. Perhaps we should recover it."

"No particular urgency, Guillard," Sayan says pleasantly, "by all means, take your time."

Alys' first thought was to go and try to find this artifact, but she then remembers how Tomiko warned everyone to stay back so they don't disturb the crime scene. She continues to keep watch over the area.

Tomiko points out to the others what she sees, not knowing how observant the others are. When her initial observations are done, she moves closer to the bodies and kneels down to say a brief prayer for their souls. After that, she begins the unpleasant process of examining the corpses directly, trying to see if there are any clues as to their identities that might still be on them.

Zakas nods to the Immaculate's assessment of the situation, "Is there a particular reason we allow them to propagate dangerous misinformation while taxing them beyond the capacity to grow a revenue stream for tributes? Surely we have the means to put this mess to rest for good." He'd add, not thinking, or perhaps not caring, if any of their company took it as accusatory.

Zakas raises an eyebrow at the information from Axan, "A Jade artifact specifically huh? That has rather worrisome implications. Do you have any rough sense of where it's located?"

Last edited:
"A very rough sense. It's located down in what seems to be an underground passage. Man made one." Axan nods. He didn't consider the implications of that discovery. His first reaction was to want to find it and study it.

Zakas holds a hand to his chin, "Think we could trace a path down there? Or perhaps... make our own?"

Alys looks at Zakas and muses, "Do you think it might have something to do with the killings here?"

"We can definitely make our own, if we can't find one, or don't want to look." Axan says with a mischievous smile, as he flexes his fingers.

"No idea, but given its proximity, it could be worth examining to see if there are any effects it could wield that would alter the scene of the crime. Once the good magistrate here is satisfied that the scene has been properly documented, let's take a peak. Til then, let's not disturb Tomiko's work." Zakas replied, somewhat suspicious of the some of the lack of evidence in some area. No signs of animals, no signs of trouble moving these heavy stones... Did someone scrub the scene already?

Now free to examine the scene, seeing that there are no signs of the stones being dragged, Axan focuses his mind on this. He could likely lift such stones and drop them in place, but it would be an effort, and he would need to power his Charms to do so. He looks at the ground. Something has to come to the fore.

May I roll Craft: Architecture, or Athletics to figure out how they moved the stones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back