• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts - The Thirteenth Mystery - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
If I were the Unkillables during King Creed's speech, I'd be on high alert listening to every channel. =)

Who knows? Maybe sounding the alarm could be useful.

Who knows? Maybe sounding the alarm could be useful.
For drawing attention to ourselves and getting seriously questioned at length by magically and psychically-capable security forces a king could ask for?

How could this alarm help us, Bud? I'm not seeing it, but I am open to ideas. =)

Yeah! You can!

Heh. I wasn't going to post again until Pips came back (which happened today!). Now I don't know what to do! Heh! Ain't gaming fun? =)

Sherwood Sherwood Waitaminute. Hey Bud? How does Freya have an Unkillable's squad radio back in 101 P.A. in the Future That Is when the only Unkillable at that time is Jeanne-Marie?

I thought we were members of the Unkillables at the start, not later on.

I thought we were members of the Unkillables at the start, not later on.
I don't believe so, though a heck of a lot of information has passed along these pages since that conversation. (Plus, you know me - I don't mind being wrong.) I remember Jeanne-Marie firmly being an Unkillable, Chan-Chan was most definitely not (but hopefully an information broker if Pips is good with that), and Ellis and Priya had worked for the Unkillables with perhaps Freya and Reyna as their protection.

I don't remember anything concrete about everyone but Chan-Chan being an Unkillable at start of game - only Jeanne-Marie. The rest of us were working our way to becoming Unkillables.

But again, without Pips to verify, this entire conversation is all up in the air as far as I'm concerned. She's the boss. I remember ideas being thrown around; I just don't remember her cementing any of this if you follow my meaning? =)

We get to make our own back stories, so we *can* all be part of the Unkillables, we just need to be explicit about it.

We get to make our own back stories, so we *can* all be part of the Unkillables, we just need to be explicit about it.
Agreed.

But I do hope no one wants to do that just so we can have conveniences like squad radios at the start of the game (there are many other ways for our PCs to find each other). I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what it means for PCs to become Unkillables. What does it take? What is learned along the way?

The Unkillables are not in any book; they're a Pips-only creation. That alone makes me want to start from the outside and "earn" my PCs way in (ever play those video games where your character suddenly goes from being a nobody to everyone's best friend and idol overnight?).

Agreed.

But I do hope no one wants to do that just so we can have conveniences like squad radios at the start of the game (there are many other ways for our PCs to find each other). I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what it means for PCs to become Unkillables. What does it take? What is learned along the way?

The Unkillables are not in any book; they're a Pips-only creation. That alone makes me want to start from the outside and "earn" my PCs way in (ever play those video games where your character suddenly goes from being a nobody to everyone's best friend and idol overnight?).
I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to talk anyone else into it; if mine is the only PC who doesn't want to be an Unkillable from the start, so be it. Plus, if my desire gets in the way of the game somehow, I'll drop it for the sake of everyone's fun. =)

For Priya being assigned as the Tolkeen Liaison for the Unkillables, it depends on when the Unkillables came to Tolkeen in the first place. If we can establish when that happens then I can determine if Priya would have a radio or not.

For Priya being assigned as the Tolkeen Liaison for the Unkillables, it depends on when the Unkillables came to Tolkeen in the first place. If we can establish when that happens then I can determine if Priya would have a radio or not.
What if Priya and the others (sans Jeanne-Marie) had just become Unkillables? That might be a good reason to have a newbie like Chan-Chan join them.

As for making contact, Priya is the demigoddess of magic. Finding the main team is probably child's play for her. She might just send a Magic Pigeon or narrow things down with a Locate spell (since the Silmarillion Stadium should probably count as a general area). Of course, a radio doesn't use P.P.E.. =)

Off the wall question here - what do folks think of the Elemental Magic line of spells (Warlock, Elemental Fusionist) in Book of Magic, p. 56?

Edit: I think I have found a solution to a small problem I'm having but I want to work it out first.

Last edited:
. She might just send a Magic Pigeon or narrow things down with a Locate spell (since the Silmarillion Stadium should probably count as a general area). Of course, a radio doesn't use P.P.E.. =)
Thanks for suggesting a good communication spell, I have been out of touch with the Palladium spell list for so long. Magic Pigeon will work. I have been very busy this week (thus my non-posting of other threads), I will try and get a response for Priya in this evening.

Thanks for suggesting a good communication spell, I have been out of touch with the Palladium spell list for so long. Magic Pigeon will work. I have been very busy this week (thus my non-posting of other threads), I will try and get a response for Priya in this evening.
Same here.

Yes, I reflavored Magic Pigeon to a Magic owl...because I cannot stand pigeons...and Priya, demi-goddess and daughter of Enki would not lower herself to sending mere pigeons and would send a golden owl instead. =-P

some people call them rats with wings. Why are y’all being mean to rats? Rats are cool!!! Rats are awsome! Pidgions have dead, soulless eyes. They would murder you for a corn chip.

"Reyna, Ellis and I have had experienced something unprecedented, we need to meet immediately to discuss it. Gather the others and meet us at Merlin's Rest."
"Merlin's Rest?" Is this some place Pips is supposed to create or pull out of a book? What happened to her Los Gatos Verde?

All of you, even the arguable non-locals, should have enough familiarity with Tolkeen as a city to know a variety of locales and hangouts. The Silmarillion Stadium in particular has half a dozen cafes, breweries and restaurants that handle the 'outflow' from games, performances and speeches that take advantage of that huge space (and thus one can rely on large crowds somewhat reliably).

For Chan-Chan, Ellis and Priya, perhaps the Los Gatos Verde recommends itself as a two story building with outdoor seating under umbrellas, with a magnificent view of the Mississippi River and a plentiful selection of cold beer, six kinds of tea (four of which are excellent) and an assortment of Mexican dishes along with 'bar food' offerings. The establishment is particularly popular with the academic crowd, as it's two blocks from the Stadium, three blocks from two museums, a block from a popular theater and two blocks from a hotel that caters to visiting academics from outside of Tolkeen. This early in the day, it's likely to be largely empty and the wait staff are used to groups of people arguing or speaking passionately about subjects or topics they have no interest in or ability to follow.
I, for one, was looking forward to their excellent tea.

* * *​

Yes, I reflavored Magic Pigeon to a Magic owl...because I cannot stand pigeons...and Priya, demi-goddess and daughter of Enki would not lower herself to sending mere pigeons and would send a golden owl instead. =-P
We can change spells? I don't remember Pips O.K.ing this at all? O.K.!

* * *​

Off the wall question here - what do folks think of the Elemental Magic line of spells (Warlock, Elemental Fusionist) in Book of Magic, p. 56?

Edit: I think I have found a solution to a small problem I'm having but I want to work it out first.
With the exception of the spells that all Grey Seers automatically receive, I'm going to ask Pips if Chan-Chan can go Elemental Magic (Air + Earth) instead of Invocation for reasons I don't know if anyone else is interested in hearing. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
Epiphany Epiphany EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 Eonivar Eonivar Esbilon Esbilon Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

The Atlantean is quite familiar with Priya's magic owl spell, and once more feels a wave of relief that there are more of their number that remembers the time shift. She says to the others, "Merlin's Rest is not far from here. We can be there in a few minutes. Let's go."
Can someone please tell me what is going on?

Where in the heck is this Merlin's Rest?

What is Merlin's Rest? Is it in some sourcebook or did a Player create it?

Why are we not instead going to Pips's Los Gatos Verde?

I don't know if Merlin's Rest is in the books or not, but does it really make a difference what name we give a location to meet up? This is a huge city in the magic zone. That sounds like a perfectly reasonable name to me.

I don't know if Merlin's Rest is in the books or not, but does it really make a difference what name we give a location to meet up?
I think it might to our Game Master. Pips already created and recommended a place for us to meet up:

All of you, even the arguable non-locals, should have enough familiarity with Tolkeen as a city to know a variety of locales and hangouts. The Silmarillion Stadium in particular has half a dozen cafes, breweries and restaurants that handle the 'outflow' from games, performances and speeches that take advantage of that huge space (and thus one can rely on large crowds somewhat reliably).

For Chan-Chan, Ellis and Priya, perhaps the Los Gatos Verde recommends itself as a two story building with outdoor seating under umbrellas, with a magnificent view of the Mississippi River and a plentiful selection of cold beer, six kinds of tea (four of which are excellent) and an assortment of Mexican dishes along with 'bar food' offerings. The establishment is particularly popular with the academic crowd, as it's two blocks from the Stadium, three blocks from two museums, a block from a popular theater and two blocks from a hotel that caters to visiting academics from outside of Tolkeen. This early in the day, it's likely to be largely empty and the wait staff are used to groups of people arguing or speaking passionately about subjects or topics they have no interest in or ability to follow.

It's got a history, a reputation, she even knows the view, cuisine, and offerings. Heck, she's even gone so far as to tell us what Los Gatos Verde is like this time of day. I would like to know what Pips has taken the time and effort to create here, that's all.

But instead, let's run off to some place a Player created out of thin air? Psychie, you're a Game Master. Put yourself in Pips's shoes. Does this not make more work for you while tossing aside work you've already done? And wouldn't you rather spend that time making the adventure happen?

And please pardon me if I don't sound like my normal chipper self? I've been hit with a series of pressure-created headaches that even my getting medication, rest, good food, and gaming is having a hard time handling. I just wish I had another head sometimes.

Psychie Psychie

Usually, gaming helps take my mind off of these headaches (Lord knows, some of you guys and gals have helped me put my head in a better state of mind right here on RP Nation! Thank you for that!). It's just... when I'm in this state, everything gets twice as confusing twice as fast. And so I must ask to clear it up. Or the confusion just sits and stews.

I'm all for Player creativity, imagination, and adding flavor (I mean, look at my own character sheet, right?). I just don't like it when Players start to add information that's normally the GM's to add. It heavily confuses me (I don't know who I'm supposed to be following). Plus, this is not the first time this has happened.

I don't mean to point anyone out; I have a problem with the problem, not the person. =)

Changing up a spell? Sure, I can think of a few serious issues that might cause, but it's not my game. So I'm staying out of that. But creating entire places that the GM had better remember lest the PCs want to come back to it? I can't ride that boat, guys. It doesn't respect the GM.

Now, the exception is, of course, the GM has given approval to all this. If this is a co-GMed game with permission by the creator of the game (and guess who RP Nation sides with on these matters?), then hey! All is well! Game on! But without that explicit permission, it seems to me like a Player (NOT the GM) is trying to run the game. At the very least, it adds unsolicited effort and time to the creator's already-large task. Who at the table has a bigger job and more to do than the Game Master? Nobody. Pips said we could be creative in some areas like backgrounds and such, but creating establishments out of thin air? Nope. So forgive me if I don't roll along with this Player-made Merlin's Rest, especially when she has provided a spot she appears comfortable with. =)

Further still, when other Players follow along leaving Likes and follow-ups instead of asking what's going on, I find myself even more baffled. "Am I the only one who is confused here (again)? Or am I seeing something everyone else doesn't seem to see (again)?" When this happens in Real Life, neurotypicals seem to think I'm either brilliant or psychic or some combination of the two.

I just laugh and tell them how it is. "No, I just live with strong ADHD!" =)

The way I see it right now, Pips's Real Life is giving her a double-whammy of drama. Right? She said as much. So when she is able to come back here and catch up, I think the easier and more pleasurable that catching up for her is, the better. She could probably use the escape. I know I'm wordy, but I want to take away stress from people, not add to it. The humans playing the game are always more important to me than whatever game we are supposed to be playing. Period. I would like for Pips to return to her own game and see things she can smile about getting back into, not just a pile of more work to be done. Right?

Pips created this world; I think she deserves that. So that's what I'm trying to aim for. That's just where I stand. Thanks for listening! It means a lot! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

P.S. Excluding the Merlin's Rest thing, I'm going to try to post now. Maybe after that, my brain will let me go to bed. Heh! =)

Edit: Sleep! Finally! 8D

Last edited:
I just made up Merlin’s Rest on the fly, we can make it anywhere, if there is a legitimate place close to the stadium that has a private room in the book then sure Priya would have made it there. It’s a big city and certainly not every place in the city is defined in the books. I did not want to delay this story further by coming on this thread and asking what would be a good place to go to. So I made a place up, Priya was born in this city, she knows the city very well, it's a magical city, so a name like Merlin's Rest fit within the concept.

Role playing, even table top role playing is one part improvisation. I improvised a place to move the story along. Ultimately does it matter where they go? The point is to get the party all together to discuss what has happened to them. Not everything is in the book and Rifts has a strange dichotomy of being very detailed in some parts and not so detailed in others.

As for the spell, I just reflavored it . I did not change the function or how the spell works, just changed it aesthetically, nothing else was changed. I just changed the pigeon to an owl. I thought that was more Priya’s style. The intent of the spell did not change, I just changed how the spell looked. I know it is mentioned in 5e and many other games that one can do this. I do not recall a particular rule in Rifts saying I could not change how a spell looks depending on the caster. IMO, Magic would be very boring if it were always the same, it is my understanding that Magic looks different for every practitioner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back