• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts - The Thirteenth Mystery - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
@Eonivar Hey there, Eon! I hope you're having a good one! I mean what I am saying in a friendly fashion here, so please read it that way? Tone can be hard to tell when reading text.

The point is to get the party all together to discuss what has happened to them.
Absolutely! Your intentions are terrific. I think I see what you're doing and I think your heart is in the right place. But try to put yourself in Epiphany's place. Imagine all of the work she has to do just catching up to all of this. She already gave us a great meet-up spot (two if you count the library). What's wrong with those? Why create some new place that she has to take the time to write up and plan out?

Ultimately does it matter where they go?
To you and me? Probably not. But to her? Maybe so! Just look at her Lore section! Look at how much time and effort Epiphany has already put into her game. You might be adding more work to her table than you realize. I don't think that's your intention; I think you want the game to run smoothly.

As Players, we can change whatever we like - as long as we have the Game Master's permission. This is her game; I am on her side. If it doesn't have our G.M.s permission, I just don't feel comfortable going with it.

If that sounds unreasonable, then please consider this? I can't help but ask, "what will you try to change next without the Game Master's permission?" If you are interested, I can tell you from a G.M.s standpoint where something innocent like changing the Magic Pigeon spell to Priya's Owl might honestly affect a game. Stuff like this always starts off small. In the long run, I am afraid that Pips might come back to a game where so much has changed, she won't be able to keep up. And where does that leave us?

Pips has already told us where we can improvise - Backgrounds. Adding side characters of little merit (like Miyam and Fredrick). Changes made to characters as we explore them and more. She's also mentioned where she draws the line - No characters of Evil alignment. If someone feels like their character is being overshadowed, she wants something done about it as soon as possible (which I will be asking her about). Asking is respecting the G.M.'s role, right?

I just changed how the spell looked. I know it is mentioned in 5e and many other games that one can do this. I do not recall a particular rule in Rifts saying I could not change how a spell looks depending on the caster. IMO, Magic would be very boring if it were always the same, it is my understanding that Magic looks different for every practitioner.
I couldn't agree more! The Magic section inside Rifts Ultimate Edition touches on this and how ley lines, for example, are called different names in different regions. However...

...unless Pips says otherwise (which she hasn't), Players don't establish the setting, Eon; the Game Master does. Spells and places like this Merlin's Rest are part of the setting. If you live in a world where you can change the way magic is seen and heard by others, that is a part of the setting of that world. When in doubt, Players ask the G.M. and it is up to... (and you will see this term all over Palladium Games) "Game Master discretion."

You mentioned rules? Here you go! Hope these help. =)

* * *​

Here is how Rifts Palladium works. Rifts Ultimate Edition, under Game Rules, page 275 (bold and italics theirs):

"Actually, you need one more important ingredient to make a roleplaying game work, the Game Master.

The Game Master, or G.M., is another a player (a real person) who controls and acts out all the characters in the game which are not the characters of other players. It is also the Game Master who, like the director of a film, establishes the setting, introduces antagonists and keeps the action moving. This means the Game Master will play/act out the friendly police officer, the grumpy old man next door, and the three men on the couch. In this written example, you are the only player and I am acting as the Game Master (G.M.) describing the scene, establishing the setting and prepping for the encounter/conflict."

Also see Notable Game & Rifts Terms, page 277.

"Game Master (G.M.): This is the person who controls the game "world," sets up and develops the adventurers and pacing, and serves as the general referee and rules interpreter. All the non-player characters (NPCs), innocent bystanders, police, politicians, monsters, and even the weather are controlled by the Game Master. G.M.s should try to be fair and run a fun game."

* * *​

"Setting." "World." "Rules interpreter." These are Game Master functions in Palladium, Eon. That's why theirs is the toughest job at the table and (I hope) the most respected. Perhaps you haven't been a Game Master before? I don't know. If that is the case, hey! I get it! Not everyone wants the responsibility. Real Life sure gives us plenty of that, doesn't it?

My brain-disorder-caused confusion-based issues aside, I think we are running into one major problem here - our Game Master is tied up with Real Life. She can't be here right now to "referee" (decide) these calls or she would. In some places, Pips has given us great leeway. In others, she hasn't. As far as RP Nation is concerned, she is the creator of this game. Maybe she will cater to these changes, maybe she won't. But it is her call to make.

Is it somehow tough on you to - when in doubt - ask the Game Master/World Creator? I mean, is it an impatience thing? Do you not find Epiphany easy to approach or something? Please explain it to me. I will listen to you because I want to understand and have fun with you!

I am sorry if I am asking a lot. I hope you're having a good one, Eon. I believe you mentioned last week that Real Life was tough; I hope it lets up! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

Last edited:
Hmm. I just realized - we could probably avoid getting split up in the future if we had a "run about" vehicle (as opposed to a sword-tank!). That would keep our party together as we go from place to place. I'm willing to change up Chan-Chan to get the Pilot: Hovercraft and work toward getting us something like a Techno-Wizard Seaside Hover Platform (Splynn Dimensional Market, p. 178 or Book of Magic p. 337 for statistics) or some other TW vehicle?

What do folks think of that idea?

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure Ellis can drive a car, we could put them as driver? Or I can have them take hover vehicles rather than land vehicles.
Heya Alex! Sounds great to me! How about everyone else?

If it is a Techno-Wizard vehicle, then they are psionically or magically-fueled (plus they often have neat abilities like being able to climb nearly two miles up into the air as is the case with the Seaside Platform). I don't think that's very Ellis-friendly, though? I see Ellis has 8 P.P.E.. I believe he would have to pay (or ask other party members) to keep a TW vehicle fueled.

Well, Ellis dosent have much in terms of magical skill, but they do have a girlfriend, no, a fiancé who they can ask who would probably be willing to pay the magic.

Well, Ellis dosent have much in terms of magical skill, but they do have a girlfriend, no, a fiancé who they can ask who would probably be willing to pay the magic.
This is true! And a terrific couple they make! =)

Happy I Love You GIF by RainToMe

Epiphany Epiphany I forgot to mention something - if anything in my last post (especially the parts with the Grey Seer powers) isn't up to snuff, please let me know - I'll rewrite the whole thing. Hope everyone is safe and healthy out there!

Just checking in. Hello, my fellow roleplayers! =)

Well... I am going to give this 6 more days. If we don't hear anything in 6 days (July 16), that means it will be one solid month since Pips has posted (RP Nation says the last time she was on was 23 June 2023). I can give her a month. If we hear nothing, nothing at all, then I'm out.

I think that's more than fair (for me).

Three more days indeed. I hope we can continue our game. If not, please consider me, should a slot open in any campaign.
Well, I have a Rifts game set in Japan that has only a few people posting on it; dannigan, psychie, Eonivar and gunman2. It had just started, so it wouldn't be too hard to include a new player.

Well, I have a Rifts game set in Japan that has only a few people posting on it; dannigan, psychie, Eonivar and gunman2. It had just started, so it wouldn't be too hard to include a new player.
Sherwood Sherwood Great idea! But also... maybe could find out who is still interested with a blanket ping to all involved? Sure, some folks have been quiet, but pings might reveal intentions.

Sherwood Sherwood Great idea! But also... maybe could find out who is still interested with a blanket ping to all involved? Sure, some folks have been quiet, but pings might reveal intentions.
Not a bad idea, but I'm thinking that I won't be hearing from D. Rex; he hasn't posted at all in a while.
Oh man, that would be really awsome! I’ll read through the rifts Japan books tomorrow morning, should you be willing to add me. Thank you very much!
Give me a day to make sure, but I'm thinking that there is room for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back