• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts - The Thirteenth Mystery - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
What I would like to know is, in The Future That Was, if Jeanne-Marie was spying on the Unkillables for the Coalition all this time, and the Unkillables found out, how is it her head is still attached to her shoulders if you see what I mean? =)

Or do the Unkillables not know? Because if they don't know, and our characters do know she's a spy but we haven't told The Unkillables, then our PCs are accomplices. Right?

Wouldn't we all be in danger then?

Perhaps The Unkillables do know and somehow this has all worked itself out? I'm sure there's a solution to find if one hasn't been made up already. I'm just eager to hear what it is.

Esbilon Esbilon As Chan-Chan knows them? In the Future That Was? Sorry if I didn't clarify.
No, this happens during the Future That Was. I think, maybe? That part isn't completely clear.
But your team found out about Jeanne-Marie somehow. If you want Chan-Chan here to have played a role in that, I'm open to it. If not, I'm cool with that too. =)
This happened several years later during the Future That Was when Chan-Chan was not around.
What I would like to know is, in The Future That Was, if Jeanne-Marie was spying on the Unkillables for the Coalition all this time, and the Unkillables found out, how is it her head is still attached to her shoulders if you see what I mean? =)

Or do the Unkillables not know? Because if they don't know, and our characters do know she's a spy but we haven't told The Unkillables, then our PCs are accomplices. Right?

Wouldn't we all be in danger then?

Perhaps The Unkillables do know and somehow this has all worked itself out? I'm sure there's a solution to find if one hasn't been made up already. I'm just eager to hear what it is.
That's a bit of a rub, but the way you survive coming out as a spy is 1) do it yourself rather than be found out and 2) immediately offer something of value to make sure you're worth keeping around regardless. Other than her own, not inconsiderable, skills, this would likely have been information on CS plans that let them either strike mighty blow or survive an encounter they otherwise wouldn't have.

No, this happens during the Future That Was. I think, maybe? That part isn't completely clear.
Esbilon Esbilon O.K., so... hmm! What a puzzle!

This happened several years later during the Future That Was when Chan-Chan was not around.
Ah! That's right! You mentioned that earlier. Whoops! =)

That's a bit of a rub, but the way you survive coming out as a spy is 1) do it yourself rather than be found out and 2) immediately offer something of value to make sure you're worth keeping around regardless. Other than her own, not inconsiderable, skills, this would likely have been information on CS plans that let them either strike mighty blow or survive an encounter they otherwise wouldn't have.
Yeah. Earlier, I believe it was suggested that Jeanne-Marie's teammates found her out but that would either imply she had messed up or had just gotten very unlucky at the wrong time? What if... Jeanne-Marie came clean with the Unkillables and, for a short time anyway, worked as a double agent? To prove her sincerity, maybe she took on one or more very dangerous jobs and got out before the CS found out? But she succeeds in proving herself to the Unkillables to the point they want her to stay? If I read their group right, stranger things have happened to them!

As for Chan-Chan and Jeanne-Marie... I would rather not they be complete strangers. I like the idea of Chan-Chan seeing just enough of Jeanne-Marie in Chan-Chan's past to just get an uneasy feeling, but nothing greater than that. Maybe they didn't interact often. Chan-Chan really isn't the kind to go snooping unless she has strong reason to (she's not nosy).

I would like for them to see each other in an upcoming scene and instead of Jeanne-Marie being this complete stranger, I would like for Chan-Chan to wind up genuinely impressed with Jeanne-Marie. Like, Chan-Chan didn't trust her before but never quite realized why (not enough information) and today they meet at the Silmarillion Stadium, something clearly has altered every one of you, and then when Chan-Chan sees Jeanne-Marie, she is at first thinking to avoid the dangerous Unkillable, but upon closer notice (since Jeanne-Marie is one of Pips's "black and whites"), Chan-Chan sees that this is not the Jeanne-Marie she knew at all, but someone who is far more good in nature than before (since Grey Seers can sense that kind of thing).

Thus is Chan-Chan impressed, kind of relieved, and in doing so, freely offers this new Jeanne-Marie a "clean slate" as it were. Because from Chan-Chan's point of view, here before her is a person trying to do right. That goes pretty far in her book!

How do you feel about it?

Esbilon Esbilon O.K., so... hmm! What a puzzle!
Not a puzzle so much as missing information. I'm not sure any of us has explicitly stated when they joined the Unkillables, though I suppose I can start. Jeanne-Marie joined in 98 or 99 PA prior to arriving in Tolkeen. She met the Colonel elsewhere, was approached for recruitment and joined after clearing it with her superiors in Chi-Town.

As for Chan-Chan and Jeanne-Marie... I would rather not they be complete strangers. I like the idea of Chan-Chan seeing just enough of Jeanne-Marie in Chan-Chan's past to just get an uneasy feeling, but nothing greater than that. Maybe they didn't interact often. Chan-Chan really isn't the kind to go snooping unless she has strong reason to (she's not nosy).

Yeah! That sounds great! This brings us closer together for certain!
We previously discussed them interacting at a time when Chan-Chan approached the Unkillables. Not everything has to happen on your turf ;)

We previously discussed them interacting at a time when Chan-Chan approached the Unkillables. Not everything has to happen on your turf ;)
Wasn't aware Chan-Chan or I had one. =)

What are your ideas concerning the Unkillables?

We previously discussed them interacting at a time when Chan-Chan approached the Unkillables.
You mentioned this? I was wondering if you had ideas to share based on this?

Esbilon Esbilon Hmm. If no ideas at all are coming forth, we might just go with "they never had any meaningful interaction or close contact and are pretty much strangers." Without a background, I imagine anyone with Death Sight (or like powers) would probably be alerted to the sheer amount of death that Jeanne-Marie has been "stained" with (using the term from the Grey Seers O.C.C.) and act accordingly. This might lead to a sensitive character like mine avoiding yours instead of wanting to be allies.

This kind of robs me of my desire to have Chan-Chan have reason to like the mysterious Jeanne-Marie from the start here in The Future That Is. But some things can't be helped. But hey, even some characters from the Uncanny X-Men and New Teen Titans were complete strangers and they eventually worked out fine.

Ultimately, that's what I'm trying to do here. See where Chan-Chan stands with the other PCs stand with each other - now especially since I think I have a good idea of where the team seems to stands with each other. I've got everyone else's PC's prior relationship with Chan-Chan down (they're friendly and trusting, especially Ellis and Priya. If I'm not accurate here, folks, feel free to let me know and I'll fix it).

This is probably due to my fatigue tonight (it has been a great day, but I'm still beat from it). I am having trouble figuring out what you want as a Player. What is it? Would you rather Jeanne-Marie here in The Future That Is to be some kind of mystery that Chan-Chan should not be privy to? Would you rather they be neutral strangers toward one another - just the friends of people our two characters trust? Something else?

Esbilon Esbilon Sorry if you've mentioned all this and I've missed it somehow. That's the way this head of mine works sometimes (like now maybe).

I away to Dreamland. Have a good night and sleep well when it is your turn! =)

Esbilon Esbilon Hmm. If no ideas at all are coming forth, we might just go with "they never had any meaningful interaction or close contact and are pretty much strangers." Without a background, I imagine anyone with Death Sight (or like powers) would probably be alerted to the sheer amount of death that Jeanne-Marie has been "stained" with (using the term from the Grey Seers O.C.C.) and act accordingly. This might lead to a sensitive character like mine avoiding yours instead of wanting to be allies.
We already had this conversation, around here:
Since they'd be meeting in the context of the Unkillables, it probably doesn't come as a great surprise that Jeanne-Marie has killed people, probably in the area of a dozen, certainly no more than fifty. She does not enjoy killing. Depending on what constitutes a "healer" to Sense Life, she might also register there since she has healing psychic powers and have used them on both fellow soldiers and occasionally civilians of one persuasion or another.

Depending on what Chan-Chan's interaction with the Unkillables was, she might have been subjected to a casual Telepathy: Superior probe, a background check, or an extended mundane and psychic interview.
You've made a character who doesn't have very much natural overlap with mine BG-wise, but earlier this week you indicated that you would have had business with the Unkillables where we could have met. Without knowing anything about the nature of that business, I can't very well speculate on how we would have interacted.

Esbilon Esbilon It is true. Our characters backgrounds don't overlap very well. You have presented some good thoughts, but I still remain unsure as to what you want/are comfortable with as a Player?

I would like to meet you in the middle. But I require a destination.

EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 Heya Alex! RP Nation seems to think you're in this thread right now. Good day to you! =)

Esbilon Esbilon It is true. Our characters backgrounds don't overlap very well. You have presented some good thoughts, but I still remain unsure as to what you want/are comfortable with as a Player?

I would like to meet you in the middle. But I require a destination.
I want to play in a believable world? You speak as if you have something quite concrete in mind, but I really can't grasp what it is.

I'm happy to have Chan-Chan and Jeanne-Marie have some kind of relationship pre-game, but libraries and pawn-shops aren't really the kinds of places she hangs out nor is helping the unhoused a cause she's been championing.

(Hey friends. If I sound "off," I am going through another one of my heavy headaches/not quite a migraine. These usually last for some 72 hours.

Forgive me if I do not sound like myself. If I write something that sounds negative, please disregard it. However if I write to the positive, I mean it with all my heart. You guys and gals deserve nothing but the positive! =) )

I'm happy to have Chan-Chan and Jeanne-Marie have some kind of relationship pre-game, but libraries and pawn-shops aren't really the kinds of places she hangs out nor is helping the unhoused a cause she's been championing.
Esbilon Esbilon There we go! Cool. This is a destination. =)

I want to play in a believable world? You speak as if you have something quite concrete in mind, but I really can't grasp what it is.
Absolutely.

Re: concrete. Now that you mention it, I can't grasp it either. The only firm thing in my mind that I'm aware of is trying to find a solution that both you and I are cool with. I am confident we can get there; that is where I am feeling certain. =)

Ooh. How about this?

Earlier I believe you mentioned something about if Chan-Chan knew Jeanne-Marie was a spy, why didn't she say so? That's a cool thought. Maybe we can use that.

Looking at this notion through a different lens if you will, the Grey Seers aren't true telepaths in that they can't reach into someone's mind and just take information. Thus, Chan-Chan can't just walk up and know Jeanne-Marie is a CS spy. It doesn't work that way. Instead, Grey Seer O.C.C. powers are largely intuition-based where Chan-Chan receives "guidance from afar" you might say.

She can get "bad vibes" off of Jeanne-Marie and maybe feel something is not right about her.

However... what if those same feelings told her not to act on it? "Do not interfere." "Everything will be all right." Chan-Chan trusts this intuition with her very life. If they said not to interfere, she wouldn't.

Since here in The Future That Is, Jeanne-Marie is a good gal and CS spy no longer, wouldn't those Grey Seer feelings be right?

On Jeanne-Marie the Mind Melter's end, what if she sensed that Chan-Chan (being a Grey Seer) was a potential threat to her cover, but no warning signs beyond feeling that ever arose? What if Jeanne-Marie felt that Chan-Chan was never a threat to Jeanne-Marie's cover (which is true)?

Result: Jeanne-Marie knows Chan-Chan as a respected ally of The Unkillables who comes and goes trading information. (Perhaps they refer to her as an "information broker.") The two gals treat each other with respect every time they interact.

If so, this gives Jeanne-Marie and Chan-Chan the (hopefully believable) foundation to have a good (or at least respectful) relationship here at the start of our game?

What do you think of that solution?

oh nooo!!! Migraines are the worst! I have headaches too, they just wouldnt stop for a year, now i'm on drugs and they are less bad. I feel your pain though. try and get off of screens and lay down, or do whatever you know works for you. stay safe dann! <3

oh nooo!!! Migraines are the worst! I have headaches too, they just wouldnt stop for a year, now i'm on drugs and they are less bad. I feel your pain though. try and get off of screens and lay down, or do whatever you know works for you. stay safe dann! <3
Alex, you are terrific. *hugs*

I'm having one of those headaches where the more I can distract myself from it, the better. I am full of medication and caffeine in the form of a dark roast/decaf mix of coffee. =)

I would love to lie down and take a nap but that sweet option is not available to me at the moment. =)

Writing out solutions for a role-playing game (but only in RP Nation's Dark Mode) is a wonderful distraction - as is chatting here with you and Esbilon! =)

is it because of work? *shakes a fist in the air* damn you capitalism, my arch nemesis!

anyway, if distracting you works best, then- I have some musical recommendations if those are your jam at all?

Earlier I believe you mentioned something about if Chan-Chan knew Jeanne-Marie was a spy, why didn't she say so? That's a cool thought. Maybe we can use that.

Looking at this notion through a different lens if you will, the Grey Seers aren't true telepaths in that they can't reach into someone's mind and just take information. Thus, Chan-Chan can't just walk up and know Jeanne-Marie is a CS spy. It doesn't work that way. Instead, Grey Seer O.C.C. powers are largely intuition-based where Chan-Chan receives "guidance from afar" you might say.

She can get "bad vibes" off of Jeanne-Marie and maybe feel something is not right about her.

However... what if those same feelings told her not to act on it? "Do not interfere." "Everything will be all right." Chan-Chan trusts this intuition with her very life. If they said not to interfere, she wouldn't.

Since here in The Future That Is, Jeanne-Marie is a good gal and CS spy no longer, wouldn't those Grey Seer feelings be right?

On Jeanne-Marie the Mind Melter's end, what if she sensed that Chan-Chan (being a Grey Seer) was a potential threat to her cover, but no warning signs beyond feeling that ever arose? What if Jeanne-Marie felt that Chan-Chan was never a threat to Jeanne-Marie's cover (which is true)?

Result: Jeanne-Marie knows Chan-Chan as a respected ally of The Unkillables who comes and goes trading information. (Perhaps they refer to her as an "information broker.") The two gals treat each other with respect every time they interact.

If so, this gives Jeanne-Marie and Chan-Chan the (hopefully believable) foundation to have a good (or at least respectful) relationship here at the start of our game?

What do you think of that solution?
I think that sounds fine :)

Sorry about your headache. I'd recommend some music too, but I'm not sure I have too much that wouldn't exacerbate headaches rather the relieve them.

is it because of work? *shakes a fist in the air* damn you capitalism, my arch nemesis!

anyway, if distracting you works best, then- I have some musical recommendations if those are your jam at all?
Ha ha! No, it's on the right side of my cranium today. And if you don't mind another opinion, I think work is a blessing if you can get paid for what you love doing anyway. =)

I will never turn down musical recommendations! Please, have at!

And if you don't mind another opinion, I think work is a blessing if you can get paid for what you love doing anyway. =)
That's always the goal! that's the best scenario, i just thought work was what was preventing you from lying down and taking a lil snooze, but there are a lot of things in life that can prevent you from taking a nappy nap.

hehehe musical recs! do you like the more upbeat ones or the like- historical setting sad ones? or no preference?

I think that sounds fine :)
Hurray! Epiphany Epiphany Pips! We found a solution to one heck of a conundrum!

That just makes my day!

Sorry about your headache. I'd recommend some music too, but I'm not sure I have too much that wouldn't exacerbate headaches rather the relieve them.
Hey, have at! Headaches are like storms; they come and go. But music? Good music is in the heart. Feel free to recommend whatever is on your mind. If I don't listen to it now, I will happy to listen later "after the storm has passed!"

Thank you both! =)

hehehe musical recs! do you like the more upbeat ones or the like- historical setting sad ones? or no preference?
Music is a form of escapism to me just like role-playing. I tend to listen to the happier stuff because I believe happiness is a choice. Music helps me to get there. =)

that's a really beautiful mentality to have dann. I dont have a lot of musicals that are happy on the whole, but the song "Secret of happiness" from daddy long legs always cheers me up. it was the first piece that my vocal coach and I ever worked on, it's sincere and sweet and it makes me happy to sing.

EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 "Secret of Happiness" by Daddy Long Legs. Thanks! I will check that one out tonight if my memory stays with me.

Music helps me with immersiveness when I write. I imagine there will be an Enya tune attached to Chan-Chan's next scene because it fits her and what she's doing.

Sometimes, if I'm in a darker mood, I'll play music that helps me embrace that mood to the fullest. "Embrace the suck" is the ralling cry of many a modern-day U.S. soldier.

When the message of a song, the tunes, and the performance all mesh together, there's nothing else that can replace it.

So... say dark and flat-out uncaring. I find no one does it quite like Type O Negative used to:

"We Hate Everyone" - Type O Negative (especially the third section of the song onward.)

Follow it up with dark, loud, and fatalistic:

"Alice In Chains - Man in the Box (Official Video)"

For dark, energetic, and angry, Nine Inch Nails scratches my itch:

"Nine Inch Nails - Wish"

Then... say... smoothing out with LP's brand of dark but filled with curiosity:

"LP - How Low Can You Go (Official Music Video)"

Then dark but coming back toward the light, Soundgarden:

"Head Down" by Soundgarden

Finally, for the dark, thoughtful, dreamlike, Siouxsie and the Banshees often delivers:

"The Ghost in You" by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Musical circles like this tend to put my emotions in a better place or at least close to where I want to be. There are lots of bands out there that can do dark well, but whether I'm writing something like cyberpunk or a shadowy scene in one of my games or just plain getting rid of a bad mood, this sort of musical journey often does the trick for me. =)

How about (any of) you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back