• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lore
Here
Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Figured we could timeskip to them leaving X3 )

Esme probably should have felt some relief that Kyle wasn't bothered she'd been present during the revelation of her parentage. However, she still felt uneasy, like a massive outsider. It probably was from him thanking her for helping him make the 'connections' that led to this discovery. Was it really something to be thanked for? He brought up the fact that he planned on sharing his True Name with her eventually, a concept she still didn't fully understand but that seemed to have heavy importance.

"So, you're telling me that you can do some of the things those from Houses you dislike? Kind of an odd thing to forget," she said the last thing more to herself than him, and honestly she wasn't really bothered by what he just told her. He could have, at any time, harmed her if he probably really wanted to. The opportunities were probably there, and then she recalled that the Pact would prevent him from harming her anyway. She pursed her lips for a quick second then set down her cup, looking directly into Kyle's eyes with a serious expression.

However, just before she could open her mouth to speak, Liz entered the apartment noisily, wearing a pair of yoga pants and a baggy t-shirt. "If you're expecting me to be pissy about you two ditching, you'll be surprised to hear I don't care," Liz stated plainly as she walked into her bedroom to deposit the things she had brought back home with her; her gala dress, purse and so forth. She then approached Kyle and Esme, taking the sandwich that Kyle had made for Esme and taking a bite without asking first. Esme didn't mind really, she just snatched back the food and took a large bite while having a stared own with Liz.

"Not bad," Liz commented before patting Esme's head playfully, "I won a bet, a rather lucrative one, because you both ditched. Of course the bet went to the charity, it'd be kinda distasteful to keep it." With that Liz wandered into the kitchen to find something to snack on.

Esme sighed, but was a bit relieved Liz wasn't upset they'd both left. She also didn't want to continue this conversation with Liz present, the less Liz knew the better since she didn't want to encourage or provoke a renewed fear towards Kyle. She looked back at Kyle, "If you do something questionable, sure as hell I'm going to make a fuss."

-----

Esme was waiting at the train station, checking the time on her phone impatiently. Her mother was taking a train up to the city to meet up with her and Kyle and then they'd get on the train to New York. It was going to be a long trip, nearly three days stuck on a train with her mother. Her phone chimed and Esme read the text message, "Seems she decided to board first. We should get moving then." She'd actually bothered with a bit of luggage this time, which had been checked and stored on the train, leaving her with a small carry-on bag for essential items for the trip; clothes, toiletries, and things to keep herself entertained.

She made her way to the correct train car and found the private train cabin her mother had reserved. It was capable of letting four passengers sleep and had one of the smallest tables she'd ever seen. There wasn't a private bathroom like some of the fancier options, which meant Esme was going to have to go three days without a shower. Not something she was looking forward to. She slid open the cabin room door and tossed her bag onto the empty seat across from her stern faced mother.

"You could has mentioned you wanted to meet on the train. I was standing around waiting for you," Esme dryly informed her mother, taking a seat and leaning back into it.

"It would have been a waste of time wandering from one train to the lobby, then back onto another train," the elder woman replied simply.

Kyle wasn't really happy with the way their conversation was brought to a sudden end by Liz's whirlwind reappearance, but he understood Esme's reticence to continue with her mercurial roommate home. Liz had, not exactly mellowed, but was tolerant of Kyle's presence. Neither one of them wanted to do anything to disrupt that. As Liz left the room, Esme made one final comment.

"If you do something questionable, sure as hell I'm going to make a fuss."

--------

Kyle found himself standing beside Esme at the train station, wondering what they were headed into, and wondering how he was going to restrain himself from saying something that could not be unsaid while in close proximity to Esme's mother. He was also concerned with the Grimoire, which currently resided in the bowels of the train they were about to board. Kyle had purchased a second hand hard sided suitcase, really nothing more than a large briefcase, and restored it carefully. He had then applied layer upon layer of shielding and cloaking spells, turning it into the magical equivalent of the human's Fort Knox. The Grimoire had gone inside, then he had used more of his Power to Seal the case, then mask the aura of his spell work. No witch should be able to even see the case, and regular humans, like the baggage handlers, wouldn't give it a second glance after they read the destination tags. Kyle hadn't wanted to bring the Grimoire, but he hadn't wanted to leave it where Liz could accidentally get her hands on it either. That would have been, bad.

"Seems she decided to board first. We should get moving then." Esme said, breaking Kyle out of his thoughts and leading the way onto the train. Kyle followed, noting that they were heading to a different type of area than his first trip. This car seemed to contain small rooms, offering privacy. Good. He would not have enjoyed days sitting in a car filled with row after row of chairs, no matter how comfortable. Though, he would be in close proximity to Esme's mother.

"You could has mentioned you wanted to meet on the train. I was standing around waiting for you," Esme dryly informed her mother, taking a seat and leaning back into it once she had led them to the proper cabin and tossed her bag onto an empty seat.

"It would have been a waste of time wandering from one train to the lobby, then back onto another train," the elder woman replied simply.

Kyle took a moment to scan the room with his Sight. No magic, save for the Power the witch carried about her like a shroud. Interesting. No wards. But then, maybe she didn't want to expose Esme to spells now that the Seal was active. But, it hadn't reacted to her house Wards. Strange. Kyle noted that the room seemed to be made up of two cabins, with a connecting door standing open between them to allow conversation and free passage.

"I assume I shall be here," he said, moving to the second room, as far from Esme's mother as he could get. "Presumably the connecting door shall be shut at night to protect your modesty."

Kyle set his belongings, ALL his belongings except for the Grimoire and its case fit in the single duffel Esme had yet to reclaim, on the top bunk and activated a low powered Ward to make the eye slide away from the bag. No point in taking chances.

"My bag is Warded Esme," he said seriously. "It extends only an inch or so from the bag, but I suggest that you not attempt to move it. It should not react to your Seal, but I think we should not take chances."

Fable Fable

(Cautious demon takes precautions.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( We can do a timeskip for the 3 days if you want, figured I'd post and set a mood and then ask. X3 )

Áinfean gave Kyle one nod to his question regarding the sleeping arrangements. Esme rolled her eyes, but said nothing to her mother about it, though she would have preferred not having to share a space with her mother. There wasn't anything to be done. Esme looked at Kyle as he said her name, informing her to not attempt to move his belongings. She hadn't any intention in touching his things since it would normally be rude to do so otherwise, unless there was some reason moving it was a life or death situation. She doubted anything that dangerous would happen on their trip.

"Who exactly are we meeting in New York anyway," she asked her mother, who she doubted would give her a straight answer.

"The one who placed the Seal on you."

"Do they have a name?"

"She'll introduce herself to you when you meet."

Esme sighed and shook her head, feeling as though she was walking into the same wall with her mother as the last time. Fine, if her mother didn't want to tell her shit about anything right now, she was going to just pretend like her mother wasn't here as best as she could. The rift between them was large and only grew because of these interactions. It was moments like this that Esme really missed her grandmother.

She dug around the carry-on she had brought, pulling out a text book. While she was technically on leave from college to deal with this problem, she'd have to self-study so that when she went back she wasn't horribly behind. She read silently for a couple of hours before yawning widely and setting the book down on the seat, glancing over at Kyle. "Wanna get some food?"

Kyle sighed internally. This was going to be a, trying experience. He hoped that the frozen civility would last, but didn't expect it to. Esme's mother was, well self-righteous was the kindest of the descriptions Kyle could apply, and things just went down hill from there. There were several pointed questions he wished to ask, but he did not wish Esme to be present, just in case her mother was startled enough to give plain answers. Shrugging internally, Kyle settled into one of the chairs on 'his' side of the room as Esme dug out one of her text books, obviously intending to study. He should do the same.

Closing his eyes, Kyle mentally took stock of the train's motion and the sounds. The murmurs of conversations vaguely heard at the edge of earshot, the crackle of Esme flipping pages in her book, her mother's controlled breathing. It was all filed away, then Kyle withdrew his awareness of the train, leaving his senses with a 'threat file' that would alert him if anything out of the ordinary happened, and turned his attention inwards. He had told Esme that he didn't have the luxury of forgetting, and that was the simple truth. What he hadn't elaborated on was that he could, suppress memories that he found distasteful. The memories were not gone, just locked away from his everyday thoughts, requiring a concerted act to call them back to the surface of his mind. Reluctantly, Kyle called forth some more of his training, concentrating on the information concerning Clan Vyseriad. The techniques he had been taught were distasteful in the extreme, but he forced himself to relive them as well as the techniques to counter or even reverse draining. He was deep in an old memory when something tickled the edge of his thoughts.

"Wanna get some food?" Esme asked.

It took Kyle a moment to pull his attention from the memories to the present, but then he shook himself and turned to smile at Esme.

"I think that would be an excellent idea," he replied. "I too have been studying, though mine was by revisiting old lessons, and I could quite use a break. The memories are, intense, and not in a good way."

Rising, Kyle moved to the door after making certain he had his wallet in his pocket. Sliding the door open, he bowed slightly to Esme.

"If it would please my lady," he said, gesturing to the corridor.

Fable Fable
(Demon definitely wants a study break. And has some questions if he ever finds himself alone with Esme's mom, but he doubts she'll answer.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Yeah, he won't get a chance to be alone with mother dearest.)

Esme smiled at Kyle and got up, stepping out of the shared cabin. She made her way to the train car that served food and drinks. There were a few small tables to sit at and it was nothing really fancy, it served its purpose well enough. Esme just opted for a sandwich and soda, taking the items after she paid the cashier. She claimed a small table meant for only two to sit at, there was no reason to be rude and take a larger table with more chairs. She took a bite of the sandwich, chewed, and then swallowed.

"So, you've just been playing memories in your head the past few hours? I wish I could recall things like that, it would save me a ton of stress having to study if I could do that. Is that some sort of spell or just natural ability?"

She took a sip of the carbonated beverage before taking another bite of her food. Now that she was going to get the Seal removed, thus making her 'allergic' reaction to magic non-existent, perhaps there were a few things she could use to make her life just a tad bit easier. Esme's logical side said this line of thinking was a slippery slope, much like how someone with a drinking problem would go "just one more." Esme worried something like using magic could end up with addictive qualities, that just one spell wouldn't be enough. That she'd get consumed by a need for them.

"So, you've just been playing memories in your head the past few hours? I wish I could recall things like that, it would save me a ton of stress having to study if I could do that. Is that some sort of spell or just natural ability?"

Kyle took a minute to answer as he thought about Esme's question, taking a bite from the 'loaded' nachos that were anything but 'loaded'.

"It is an ability I have now," Kyle said, emphasizing the word 'now' ever so slightly. "You have a word for it I believe. Eidetic memory. I have always had a good memory, and when I began my training one of the first things I was taught was how to improve upon my ability to remember and organize information. I, discovered a way to improve my retention and implemented it upon myself without fully thinking through the consequences. Now I cannot forget. Well, that is not entirely true. Information gained by 'alternative' methods is not retained, except in special situations such as my learning modern English."

Kyle took another bite of his nachos and sighed.

"It is not without its drawbacks. I cannot forget. Good memories, or bad. The best I can do is, suppress? store?, ah archive. Yes, archive painful or disturbing memories in such a way so as they do not constantly intrude upon my awareness. Once packed away, it takes a conscious effort on my part to bring such a memory back to the forefront of my mind where I can examine it once more. Kind of like a library I suppose. I have to go find a book on my subject of interest, but then I can flip through the pages to find the specific information I need, then put the book back on the shelf. Does that make any sense?"

Fable Fable
(Demon carries a library in his head. He just has to take the time to find the right book to open and read.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Here we go. Also realized we're on 15 pages! Longest RP yet, thank you for your patience with me. ;-; )

Esme quirked a brow the moment Kyle said 'now.' As he explained how he couldn't forget anything now, she wondered how much that actually sucked. She had plenty of things she'd much rather forget over time and they probably would, to not be able to forget those things seemed really messed up. "Humans can forget things out of a defense mechanism, sort of like their own mind suppresses a memory to protect itself from remembering some sort of trauma. It's why there are things like therapists and psychologists, to help people struggling with remembering traumatic issues. Though it's not a cure. I have to wonder if that's the same thing as your archiving process."

She finished eating her sandwich, though she didn't want to head back to the cabin just to sit in the presence of her mother. "It makes sense and at least you can store the memories away like that. I don't think I would ever want to remember everything." She stretched out her arms above her head with a small sigh before she reached to take a drink of her soda. "Let's chat about something else, things feel kinda heavy on this subject now. Though I have no idea what to talk about. We could always make bets on how long before my mother gets on my nerves and I snap or vice versa."

"We could always make bets on how long before my mother gets on my nerves and I snap or vice versa."

"No," Kyle said, his voice grave. "I rather think that she will, restrain herself for the duration of this trip. As to her getting on your nerves, well one supposes that is up to you."

Kyle finished his own meal, then rose, quirking an eyebrow at Esme.

"I believe I read that this train has an observation deck," he said. "Let us take our drinks and go see if there are any open seats there."

Suiting actions to words, Kyle led Esme up a short flight of stairs and another car forward of the dining car. Sure enough, the top level of the car they entered sported large windows, with seats facing outward. They were in luck, because just as they arrived, an elderly couple vacated a pair of adjoining seats, heading past Kyle and Esme in the direction of the dining car. Kyle and Esme quickly claimed the seats, and watched the landscape drift past for several, silent minutes.

"Do you know where we are going?" Kyle asked after a bit, turning from the landscape to look at Esme. "From what I understand, New York actually has a couple of different meanings. There is a rather large city that goes by that name, as well as a state of the same name. Knowing what I do about, your mothers type, I think rather that we are proceeding to a point within the state, rather than the city."

Fable Fable
(Demon wonders where they're actually headed.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Couldn't resist I went ahead and did a timeskip X3 Hope that is alright. The woman at the end is clearly a demon, for Kyle's POV. )

Emse sighed as Kyle's tone changed, her eyes moving to look out the window at the scenery. Kyle wasn't sure he was right in that her mother would restrain herself. Her mother didn't mince words and was like blunt force trauma at times with how she interacted with others. Esme had gotten some pity from those who had been at the wrong end of a conversation with her mother since there had been a few to observe that her own mother didn't put things delicately for her.

The subject was changed by Kyle as he mentioned an observation deck, suggesting they take some drinks and see if they could find a place to sit there. She picked up her soda since she hadn't finished it yet and got up, heading to where she believed the observation deck was located. She followed after Kyle as he claimed the seats that had just been vacated, sitting down next to him with drink in hand. She glanced at him when he finally spoke, asking about their destination, before turning her attention back to watching the passing scenery.

"The tickets are for New York city," she replied after she had taken a sip of her drink. "Whoever we're meeting is somewhere in New York City or at least possibly near it. I didn't see anything about a transfer to another train on the tickets so it'd have to be somewhere within driving distance of the train station. That's about as much as I figure I can safely assume about where we are headed."

---​
The next few days Esme was oddly quiet and distant, opting to study, reading an e-book, or listening to music. She mostly pretended her mother wasn't present, only speaking or replying to the elder woman when it was absolutely necessary. Esme withdrew herself to keep from getting into a spat with her mother since being in close quarters with the women made her whole being tense and anxious. Kyle unfortunately would find it fairly difficult to drag Esme out of this defensive shell she wrapped herself in. It was fairly clear that Esme couldn't help but withdraw into herself around her mother who here and made some disapproving comments about Esme's lifestyle or choices.

By the time they reached their destination, Esme was a ball of pure tension ready to explode. She gathered her luggage and the group took an Uber ride away from the station towards Central Park. Esme's legs anxiously bounced as she looked out the car window, not really focusing her sight on anything. It was a rainy day with dark skies and sporadic thunder and lightning. The car halted at an old, large building that was right across the street from Central Park, whoever they were meeting had money; a ton of disposable income.

Esme's mother lead them into the building, checking in with the doorhop and security guard and stating they were expected guests. The guard checked their names on some list from the computer and gave them a guestpass keycard that would give them access to the floor to where the person they were meeting lived. The apartments here most likely cost millions just based on the location alone. Áinfean used her card to open the elevator and Esme followed her inside. Her mother pressed one of the elevator buttons, the one that indicated they were going to some sort of penthouse. So this person was most likely ridiculously rich.

The elevator smoothly went upward to the top floor, the door sliding open gently to reveal a small private entry way with a large double-door. Áinfean approached the side of the door where there was a video intercome type of system and rang a bell. A male voice inquired who it was and Esme's mother announced them. The man stated they were expected and a moment later he opened the door to let them inside.

The apartment was lavish and of modern design. The man who has greeted them introduce himself as Jacob and stated they could leave their things and that he would see to them. Esme set down her things warily as Jacob asked them to follow him. He lead them to a large room that where every inch of the walls except near the large fireplace were lined with book. A woman was seated in a high-backed chair reading a book near the roaring fireplace, not even turning to look at them as they entered.

"Áinfean," a the woman's sultry voice said before she closed the book gently and finally turned to face them. "It has been ages."
PnihCDs.jpg

"The tickets are for New York city," Esme replied after she had taken a sip of her drink. "Whoever we're meeting is somewhere in New York City or at least possibly near it. I didn't see anything about a transfer to another train on the tickets so it'd have to be somewhere within driving distance of the train station. That's about as much as I figure I can safely assume about where we are headed."

Unfortunately for Kyle, that was the longest sentence he heard from Esme for the rest of the trip. Soon after they returned to the cabin they shared with her mother, Esme began to withdraw into herself, choosing to spend her time in solitary activities. It took all of the control that he had learned over thousands of years for Kyle not to vent his ire on the source of Esme's unhappiness, but that would serve no purpose. Esme's mother limited her conversations to Esme, and those usually to some commentary in the negative on how Esme had chosen to live her life. The contrast to his own mother's love and support of his choices made Kyle wonder if Esme's mother had been born into the wrong species.

"I can't help but wonder if there is some Clan Calinathra somewhere in her past," Kyle found himself musing after one biting comment resulted in Esme popping in earphones and even more pointedly ignoring the older woman. "Or perhaps Vyseriad."

For his part, Kyle respected Esme's self imposed isolation. He wanted to help, but in this instance his instincts told him to simply be there. If these was something he could actually do, he would trust Esme to let him know. Kyle kept his limited interactions with Esme's mother strictly and coldly formal, if only so he wouldn't lose his temper over what he saw as appalling treatment of her daughter. As the trip drew to a close, he breathed a surreptitious sigh of relief. One way or another, the end was in sight.

Kyle could feel the tension radiating off of Esme, just as he could feel the power in the storm hovering over the city as they approached an obviously old building located near what his gifted memories called Central Park. As Esme's mother went through some kind of identification ritual to gain them access, Kyle's senses began to warn him of the proximity of Power. Suppressing his first instinct to extend his active senses, Kyle instead pulled all of his personal Power deep into his core, settling his shields just under his skin. Gossamer thin, those shields would explode into furious life the instant they were touched with any trace of Power Kyle did not accept as friendly. He was quite certain of his ability to defend himself, though he was not so certain that he would be able to extend that protection to Esme given her current, hobbled state. As they made their way to what was obviously the abode of someone wealthy and powerful, Kyle felt layer after layer of wards, old, complex, and powerful. This was the work of years, perhaps centuries even. Kyle nearly protested when they were politely asked to leave their things so that they could be 'seen to', but decided that his protections on the grimoire would suffice, or they would not.

The room they were eventually ushered into was well appointed, and obviously used as a personal library. The room's occupant didn't even look up from her book as they entered, instead choosing to finish reading whatever passage she was contemplating before closing her book and turning to face them.

"Áinfean, it has been ages."

Kyle kept his face impassive as the woman's... no, the demoness's voice registered. Smooth and sultry, it sounded just like a thousand he had heard before, on his world. He couldn't tell her House, but he was quite, quite certain that the woman before them was no more of a native of this world than he was. Turning to Esme's mother, he spoke a single word containing every pent up bit of rage, disgust, and frustration he felt, all wrapped up in the absolute frozen core of a glacier.

"Hypocrite."

Fable Fable
(Demon will not explode. Demon will not explode. Demon wants to go nuclear. Demon will not explode.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Esme can explode though. X3 And yay reveal!)

Áinfean's glare at Kyle was one of death and hatred at his uttered word. She stood where she was, but clearly his slight would be dealt with when there was a moment she'd be allowed to confront him alone. The woman laughed lightly at the word and stood up elegantly, moving to approached Kyle, walking around him to thoroughly regard his person before standing before him, still pleasantly smiling. "She's always been like a blunt weapon, my dear Áinfean. However, I would like that you would please refrain from insulting my friend while remaining here as a guest. I do not ask you like her, but at least tolerate her."

The woman tapped her finger to her chin thoughtfully as she studied Kyle's face, "You're not familiar to me, though I've also been in exile for a long time, I am Ardyr'e." The name would be a shocking revelation. Ardyr'e was the name of one of the Demon King's former consorts that had been exiled around the time he had sealed access to the mortal realm. There were numerous rumors for the reason of her exile and over time the matter had completely faded as newer scandals weaved their way through the court. She was of House Calinathra and wasn't a woman to to be trifled with if some of the rumors of her abilities were true.

Ardyr'e turned her attention to Esme before moving over towards her, circling her much like she had to Kyle, "The last time I saw you was when you were just a babe." She glanced at Esme's mother, the perfected smile still on her lips, "I'm honestly surprised the imperfect Seal lasted as long as it did." The demoness got closer to Esme and Esme stood her ground, not in the mood for any of this shit after three days of her mother's remarks. "Feisty, you'll need it if you want to keep your life," Ardyr'e commented almost darkly before taking two steps back, her eyes sliding curiously over to Kyle to gauge his reaction.

"Before I even consider removing the Seal, dear Áinfean, you are going to have to prepare your daughter," Ardyr'e said before Esme could inquire what was meant by that statement.

"Just remove the damn Seal," Áinfean protested.

Ardyr'e's amused expression was gone as she stared at Esme's mother, "There is no way I am removing the Seal with her being unprepared. It would be like releasing a bomb in the apartment after being Sealed for her entire life. A simple emotional shock to an untrained witch is dangerous."

"I am right here you know," Esme suddenly shouted causing bother women to stop arguing and look at her. "So please, carry on talking about me like I'm not present because I obviously have no say in what the fuck is going on in my life apparently. We came here to get the Seal remove and I am not leaving here till it's done."

"Dear child, the Seal will be removed, but for the safety of those around you, some truths need to be brought to light beforehand," Ardyr'e stated calmly, "Áinfean, if you do not tell her, I will."

Áinfean seemed to wither under the pressure somewhat, but still managed to hold herself up with some dignity before she walked over to one of the overly plush seats and sat upon it with a sigh, covering her face with her hand and looking more vulnerable than Esme had ever witnessed in her entire life. Ardyr'e motioned for Kyle and Esme to sit, but Esme refused, staring at her mother with narrowed eyes.

"What truth?" she asked, then asked again louder when her mother didn't reply after many seconds ticked by.

"You're not entirely human," Áinfean stated somberly, looking at Esme sadly.

"What the hell are you saying?" Esme asked with an edge in her voice.

"You're half-demon, Esme."

"I am Ardyr'e."

Once again, thousands of years of Court experience stood Kyle in good stead. The exiled Adept of House Calinathra, former Consort, and a true mistress of her craft. Kyle wasn't quite so certain of his ability to protect himself anymore, though he was quite sure he could prevent her draining him. The things that had been attributed to her were, impressive. He nodded to Ardyr'e, acknowledging her name and admitting to an awareness of her position and power with that single gesture. Kyle did not give his name, since she had not asked it, and watched as Ardyr'e turned her attention to Esme.

"The last time I saw you was when you were just a babe. I'm honestly surprised the imperfect Seal lasted as long as it did." Ardyr'e said as she circled Esme, who responded to the inspection with a glare. "Feisty, you'll need it if you want to keep your life."

Kyle couldn't help it. Despite the knowledge that he was completely outclassed in Power and experience by Ardyr'e, his eyes turned into pools of inky blackness as the implied threat was uttered. Those blackened orbs narrowed into slits as he noticed Ardyr'e watching his reaction, and he forced them to return to their normal blue and grey, though he could not entirely stop the black flames that danced in their depths.

Kyle listened to the interplay between the three women, and the suspicion that had been forming itself slowly in his mind became a certainty. When Esme's mother sat and Ardyr'e gestured for Esme and Kyle to sit as well, Esme refused to sit, instead staring at her mother. Kyle chose not to sit as well, instead placing himself a half step behind and to the right of Esme. He was quite certain that Ardyr'e would recognize the traditional position of a personal guardsman, and he hoped that she understood all that his position implied.

"What truth?" Esme asked, then asked again louder when her mother didn't reply after many seconds ticked by.

"You're not entirely human," Áinfean stated somberly, looking at Esme sadly.

"What the hell are you saying?" Esme asked with an edge in her voice.

"You're half-demon, Esme."

When Esme's mother made the admission he was certain was coming, Kyle nodded once, sharply, and raised a single eyebrow at Ardyr'e before speaking.

"Well," he said, his voice completely neutral. "It would seem that this is indeed the week for, what did you call them Esme? Mindfucks? Though, I freely admit that were this a competition, you would certainly have taken the top prize. It should be good to know, should anyone know and care to share, what House your father claimed as his own."

Fable Fable
(Demon is not suicidal, but it's a good thing Áinfean is Esme's mother, and Ardyr'e outclasses him, or he might do something, intemperate.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(dundundunnnn)

Ardyr'e looked at Kyle when he spoke, tilting her head somewhat to the side as he mentioned the word 'mindfucks' and 'competition.' Esme was ready to snap and anyone and everyone, even with his neutral tone, she didn't appreciate Kyle's words about comparing their personal issues. Esme turned to give Kyle a glare with a clear message that she did not care for his comment before turning back to glare hard upon her mother's form.

"I'd ask if you were joking, but I know you're unable to be anything by serious," Esme's seething words came out. "It would sure as hell explain quite a bit in how you really think of me then, why all my damn life you've done your best to control everything in my life. Is this why you pushed me off on Nana? Make me someone else's problem? Holy fuck, why even give birth to me if you were going to spend my lifetime hating me?!"

"I never hated you," Áinfean said softly.

"Oh bullshit!"

"Esme, it is understandable to be upset at this information, but your mother did what she had to. Our worlds are complicated, demon and mortal. You being what you are, your mere existence, puts you in danger," Ardyr'e tried to interject.

"Don't make excuses for her," Esme snapped. "You tell me everything and you tell me now. Every single fucking dirty little secret detail. How the hell, no why would you sleep with a demon if you hate them so much?"

There was a long pause after Esme's question and Ardyr'e looked cautiously at all of her guests, mostly on Kyle to avoid a fight from breaking out since he had reacted strongly to her earlier words. Áinfean released a long sigh, avoiding looking at Esme.

"Your grandmother was a witch, but she wasn't one that especially powerful or interested in joining a coven. She hated covens actually, she said they were like cults for witches and consumed logic of its members. She only taught me what she thought was necessary, but... it wasn't enough for me. When I went away for college I decided to join a coven that promised they could help make my magic stronger.
I was cocky thinking that summoning a demon for a deal was a minor price to pay. They told me the demon was reasonable with his requests and I believed them up until he told me what his price was. I was prideful and foolish, encouraged by those in my coven to accept the bargain. Sex was a small price to pay for an increase in ability."

Esme's body was so tense and her fists clenched at her sides as she listened to her mother's story, a fury burning inside and becoming a near inferno of rage.

"The story about your college boyfriend abandoning you was just a lie then," Esme said in a harsh tone.

"No, he did abandon me after he found out I was pregnant. I had foolishly hoped that you were his child and blindly believed you were for a long time, denying you weren't a result of sleeping with a demon until your grandmother sent for Ardyr'e."

"Why didn't you just get an abortion? Would've saved us both from this then," Esme retorted.

"I will not lie... I considered it once Ardyr'e confirmed you weren't entirely human. I cannot explain my reasons for why I didn't. I just couldn't, even knowing what you were, even with Ardyr'e's warnings. I wish I could say it was that demon's influence, but it was all my own decision, and so I kept you and Ardyr'e tried to find a way to protect you. She told me about the risks of Sealing you, but we were all desperate and quickly modified one so you'd hopefully never have to worry and could live a normal human life. If it weren't for that foolish roommate of yours and you reading from that blasted grimoire-"

"Don't you dare put any blame on anyone else," she interrupted. "What does me being half-demon have to do with anything other than your own personal guild and shame of my existence that you'd do this to me?"

"Esme, covens will come for you. You're half-demon and much weaker than a full-blooded demon, making you an easier target for them. Some covens will view you as an abomination and others will view you as a power source. The moment that Seal is lifted, they'll hunt you down. They probably already felt your friend's presence when you summoned him and are aware a demon was brought into this realm," Ardyr'e revealed.

Kyle gritted his teeth as Esme wordlessly rounded on him, but that was the only expression of his, irritation? Why was he irritated? Kyle's life had been turned upside down by the recent revelations in his own origins, but he had never been told he was S'ynivekt. Esme had every right to be angry right now, so why was he angry that she was angry at the world? It was almost as if there were two parts to him, his analytical, Court trained and honed mind, and a more primal, fight or flight instinct vying for control.

"This is wrong," he told himself, even as Esme unleashed a fresh round of fury in response to Ardyr'e trying to calm her down. "You haven't had control problems in millennia. Well, centuries at least. Not since, that."

Esme's rage soared to heights that Kyle could only compare to a Clan Jurla berserker as her mother recounted the story of her conception, her accidental conception, as part of a deal with one of his kind.

"No wonder she hates me," the analytical part of his mind noted while the primal portion tried to color his vision red with his own rage. "I suppose she thinks she has a valid reason. More the fool she."

Kyle didn't even feel his lip starting to curl into a snarl, nor did he notice the faint haze of dark Power beginning to drift up from his body like smoke. His thinking mind barely managed to restrain his primal side as Esme's mother admitted to considering ending her before she had even been born, but Esme's scathing response soothed his anger, at least until Ardyr'e spoke up.

"Esme, covens will come for you. You're half-demon and much weaker than a full-blooded demon, making you an easier target for them. Some covens will view you as an abomination and others will view you as a power source. The moment that Seal is lifted, they'll hunt you down. They probably already felt your friend's presence when you summoned him and are aware a demon was brought into this realm," Ardyr'e revealed.

"Láta þeir leita!" ghosted from Kyle's lips, so softly that only Ardyr'e could possibly hear it, but so pregnant with the promise of death and ruin that it gave even her pause. The Power seeping from Kyle stopped, then reversed itself, sinking back into his skin, leaving only a faint tracery of darkly glowing lines of runic script before fading away.

Fable Fable
(The translation is 'Let them TRY!' With the implied meaning that any foolish enough to do so WILL definitely live long enough to regret it.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(I put the translation at the bottom X3 )

Esme's body was trembling now, she couldn't deal with this anymore right now. It she had been in a room full of fragile vases she'd have thrown and destroyed every single one of them and it still wouldn't express how upset she truly was at this truth. Her whole life she'd been lied to. Esme was close to breaking and she quickly turned away from her mother and Ardyr'e, moving past Kyle without a glance and leaving the apartment, slamming the door noisily behind her even as the butler protested and looked bewildered and her sudden departure.

Esme went into the elevator and pressed the button to the ground floor and then the button to close the elevator doors multiple times trying to urge the machine to react more quickly. She needed to get away from her mother. The elevator descended quickly, letting Esme out a few moments later at the ground level and she hastily exited. The doorman tried to call out to her that she needed an umbrella if she was heading out, but she ignored him. She wanted distance from that woman. Esme couldn't even that woman her mother right now.

It had only been lightly sprinkling outside when she had bolted. She crossed street, cutting through the stalled New York traffic and heading into the park. Once she passed into the threshold of Central Park she didn't pause in her step, randomly turning and taking a path that was just away from the building her mother was in.

---​

Ardyr'e sighed as Esme stormed out, looking at Kyle sternly, "Kannski ætti ég að hafa verið meiri áhyggjur af eigin stjórn þinni."1 Ardyr'e turned to Áinfean, who by this time was struggling to keep herself together after telling Esme about her parentage. "I expect he'll be chasing after her and hopefully by then she'll have calmed down enough." Ardyr'e figured this was going to be a mess, which was exactly why they needed to get the volatile emotions expressed and settled before removing Esme's seal.

---​

Esme wasn't sure how long she'd been walking. The rain has picked up and she hadn't encountered anyone else on the path she was on. She was pretty much soaked, but she didn't care about that right now. She was an emotional mess. It felt like she was being crushed by her anger, hurt, and fear. The emotions were at war over which one would ultimately win out. She halted in her steps when she spotted a bench, moving over to sit on it, hugging her knees to her chest and trying to make herself as small and unnoticeable as possible.

She had managed to accept that she was a witch and that beings like Kyle existed, that magic was real and not just some Hollywood special effects or fairy tale. She wasn't sure what she had been expecting as part of the reason why her mother had Sealed her, but it wasn't this. Esme had pondered on the subject a bit, but she had never come up with any reason as to the 'why.' Now she wasn't sure she wanted to know any of this. Her mother said she did this to protect her, but Esme couldn't see any maternal love in the act. Her mother had always been distant and calculated with her. There weren't any hugs when she scrapped her knees or words of reassurance during difficult times. That had always been her grandmother.

Now she knew why. Esme was a constant reminder of her mother's choice, and Esme was just some stupid consequence of a deal her mother had made.
---​
1Perhaps I should have been more worried about your own control.

The blinding fury held Kyle rigid, forcing him to devote every scrap of his formidable will to maintaining enough control not to decimate the entire room. A tiny part of him noted Esme's abrupt departure, but he couldn't spare a thought for anything save the struggle raging within him. With the suddenness of a flipping switch, the rage left him, as though it had never been, and he drew in a deep breath, once more cognizant of his surroundings.

"Kannski ætti ég að hafa verið meiri áhyggjur af eigin stjórn þinni."

"Not much of an improvement," Kyle mused to himself as Ardyr'e's tone registered.

"I expect he'll be chasing after her and hopefully by then she'll have calmed down enough," Ardyr'e said, addressing Esme's progenitor. Kyle was having a difficult time even thinking of that being as Esme's mother, despite the absence of the blinding rage that he now realized had originated with Esme.

"He has a name," Kyle said scathingly. "Which you did not deign to inquire after. One would note that apparently one can indeed be removed from the Court, yet the Court not be removed from the one. I know thy reputation Lady Ardyr'e, for though you know me not, I did move about the Court whilst your were in attendance."

Kyle looked Ardyr'e directly in the eye as he continued.

"I know thou art not one to cross, for thine reputation, as thy fall from grace, wast legendary, yet in this time, and this place, I care not."

Taking a deep breath, Kyle forced the archaic speech from his voice as his gaze shifted across the much diminished Áinfean. Surprisingly, she seemed to be feeling, remorse?

"Good," he said, and there was no anger in his voice, only a trace of satisfaction. "Perhaps the full impact of what you have done is sinking in. Time will tell. As for my control Lady Ardyr'e, I did not attempt to lay waste to your home, despite the fact that, thanks to the twisting of the Pact Bond by the flawed Sealing, I felt everything that Esme felt. Until the Seal is undone, it appears to be one-way, and uncontrollable. Let us hope that this changes."

Turning away from the women, Kyle strode towards the door, his flinty gaze sufficient to quell the butler. Or perhaps Ardyr'e made a gesture behind his back, Kyle didn't know or care. The wait for the elevator seemed interminable, giving Kyle time to wonder if Ardyr'e's Wards would let him leave unmolested. Apparently she wasn't in the mood for another confrontation, or perhaps she wanted Kyle out of her home, for the Wards passed him smoothly out. In the lobby, Kyle started for the door, then paused, looking at the weather outside. He wasn't dressed for running about in weather like that, and Esme had bolted without taking so much as a jacket. Turning his steps to a door marked restroom, Kyle entered and surveyed his surroundings. Impressive, but thankfully unoccupied. Tapping the Power within one of his moonstones, Kyle shifted his clothing into what Esme had dubbed his 'rich asshole' look. If he managed to find Esme, the jacket would be useful at the very least.

Exiting the building, Kyle cast about, trying to figure out where Esme had gone, but it had been too long, and the rain had already washed her scent from the air. He could feel concern beginning to settle icy fingers about him, but he forced it down, instead thinking of Esme. There. A faint wisp of Esme, and trees. Kyle unhesitatingly crossed the road, adroitly weaving between the cars to enter the park.

The next half hour was an exercise in frustration and patience for Kyle. The feeling of Esme seemed to meander about, tugging him this way and that, but he persevered, and Kyle was rewarded as his sense of Esme began to grow stronger. More concerning were the emotions he was starting to feel once more. Anger. Fear. Hurt. It was the hurt that eventually led Kyle down a little used path. Ahead, he spotted a bench with a figure huddled upon it. Esme was soaked through, and the way she was clutching her knees, making herself into as tiny a ball as possible made Kyle's breath catch in his throat.

"Esme," he said gently, approaching her as carefully and non-threateningly as he would an injured animal. He slowly removed his jacket, and without giving her a chance to protest, draped it over her huddled form before stepping back to the edge of her 'safe zone'. "I'm here."

Fable Fable
(Damn. Demon wants to shelter her in his arms, protect her from the world. He knows he can't, but damn he wants to!)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Ardyr'e is gonna have a talk with Kyle when he gets back, lol. )

Esme's mind swirled with thousands of thoughts, never able to truly settle on one before a new one forced its way into focus. She had been so consumed by her thoughts she hadn't even realized Kyle had found her in the park until she felt him place the jacket over her. She stiffened suddenly and looked up as her mind was forced to return to the physical reality around her. She tried to keep herself from looking at him as she struggled with her emotions. She wanted to just be angry, because being angry was the least painful thing she could feel right now. But the anger was fading away and leaving only the other two and was trying to convince herself she shouldn't feel.

She was just so exhausted from all this. It was emotionally draining for her. "I want to hate her so much," she said barely above a whisper as her eyes watered. "If I could just hate her she wouldn't be able to hurt me this much. I'm terrified to go back because I don't think I could stand to know anymore."

Esme tried to keep herself from crying, but the tears spilled anyway. It just hurt so much, being told your whole life was just a lie. "I'm scared if I go back, she'll tell me that she despises my existence. That I was just some hated burden she had to deal with. How stupid am I? To want her to care about me?"

Esme laughed bitterly as she instinctively wiped her eyes with the heel of her palms.

"I want to hate her so much," Esme said barely above a whisper as her eyes watered. "If I could just hate her she wouldn't be able to hurt me this much. I'm terrified to go back because I don't think I could stand to know anymore."

When the hot, bitter tears joined the cold rain Kyle didn't think, he just was there. The wet bench, the cold rain, the women surely waiting impatiently for their return, it was all irrelevant. One arm went instinctively around Esme's trembling shoulders, pulling her close to him, even as the tears were joined by words.

"I'm scared if I go back, she'll tell me that she despises my existence. That I was just some hated burden she had to deal with. How stupid am I? To want her to care about me?"

"You're not stupid," Kyle said, adjusting the jacket to provide Esme with a bit more protection from the rain. He kept his arm about her shoulders, trying to keep her close and comforted without making her feel trapped. "You're just like the majority of children on both worlds. Whether we know it or not, we seek protection, approval, and above all else, our mother's love. Even me, the 'big, bad demon'."

As he gathered his thoughts, Kyle gave his body an internal nudge, causing his temperature to rise. He couldn't use his magic to shield or dry Esme thanks to that never to be sufficiently damned Seal, but what little he could do, he would. Technically he wasn't expending Power, so he was under no obligation to request repayment from Esme. Repayment...payment in advance...consequences. Kyle stiffened slightly was a disturbing thought occurred to him, but after a second he relaxed, then shook his head in wry amusement.

"I'm about to do something I never imagined would be possible," Kyle said, his voice betraying his own, internal struggle. "I'm going to speak, not in her defense, but on behalf of your mother and her obvious love for you despite recent revelations and circumstances."

He could feel new tension begin to tighten Esme's shoulders, but Kyle continued to hold her gently, and speak softly, his voice barely audible over the rain.

"Your mother admits to being arrogant, and to seeking more Power than she was born with. I think that she was also used. He who made the Pact with your mother most likely ensured that she would conceive. I should not be surprised is he had not made a deal with the coven to grant them increased Power, and your mother, and you, would be his tools. There is Power in strong emotions, and not matter what path she chose, your mother would be a tremendous source of Power to be tapped. It is not outside the realm of possibility that He hoped she would be weak, ending the life growing within, and then ending herself out of guilt. Your mother made the hard choice, protecting you before you were even born."

Kyle paused, trying to put into words what was so obvious in his mind. The language barrier, the concepts, the lifetime of working with magic that Esme lacked, all were stacked against him, but he had to try.

"We know that despite being advised against it, your mother chose to bring you into the world," he said slowly. "And we know that in a misguided attempt to protect you from exploitation by witches, and probably your Sire though I doubt that occurred to her, she had you Sealed. Magic is not free. There is always a cost. The greater the Working, the greater the cost. Who do you think paid the Cost for the Seal? I wonder what Ardyr'e took from her? Generally it can be as much or as little as the caster wishes, but in this case with the Seal being an on-going thing... Oh Bright and Dark Ladies."

The possibility had struck Kyle like a thunderbolt. He had no way of knowing if his theory was accurate, or even possible, but it would explain much. He hesitated, because if he were right it would cause Esme pain. If he were wrong, and he even broached the possibility the emotional pain could be far, far worse.

"I, have a theory." he said slowly. "It does not make for good hearing, and I could very well be wrong. Yet, it would explain a lot of what happened in your life. I... I can't make this decision for you. Knowing that what I say may cause you pain whether I am right or wrong is paralyzing me. I don't know what to do."

Fable Fable
(Demon has a theory. It's not a happy one, but it would explain a LOT. He's probably wrong, but he could be right. He's not sure which outcome is worse.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Have to see XD Not sure what his theory is, but I am curious. )

Esme didn't try to shove Kyle away from her as he wrapped an arm around her. As much as she had a fear, over time Kyle had managed to wear away that wall enough to allow this. As much as Emse wanted to protect herself and did so instinctually, she also wanted to be comforted because she still very much felt human and very hurt. Part of her wanted to lie, to say she wasn't crying and it was just rain on her face, to keep up a pretense she was fine, that she could take everything thrown at her without caring. She'd held up the lie about the pain her mother let her with for her entire life and the news about being half-demon was just too much to keep acting like she could handle the coldness from her mother. Esme had kept herself wrapped in anger in their interactions because if that woman couldn't be bothered to care about her, why should Esme let herself feel hurt?

Esme kept looking straight ahead as Kyle spoke, listening as he said she was normal for wanting her mother's approval. She felt his body grow warmer which help against the chill caused by her soaked clothing. She felt him stiffen, which caused her to momentarily glance towards him to try and determine why he had, but just as quickly as he relaxed again. When he mentioned he was going to speak on her behalf, it was her turn to tense. What could he possibly say that was in favor of her mother?

He spoke about how be thought her mother might have been used by the one she had summoned. That her mother had paid some sort of cost because magic wasn't free. She sat there silently as she pondered on his words. What price would her mother have paid for what she had done? Based on Kyle's last words of 'Oh Bright and Dark Ladies' he probably believe it was a high cost to sustain the Seal. He stated he had a theory on the matter and that he could be wrong. She wasn't sure she wanted to hear it...

"We can sit here and throw out theories all day," she said lowly. "I'd rather not do that because I might get attached and hopeful on a specific one only to find out it was utterly wrong and feeling even worse than I do right now. Though honestly, I don't have any hopes for any pleasant details the moment I go back."

Esme sighed to herself and closed her eyes and rested her forehead against her knees contemplating what she should do. She was acting like a child, running away, but she just couldn't be around her mother and had desperately sought as much distance as she could place, as though it'd remove the problem if she could just get away from it. Esme knew life didn't work like that, you could run all you want but it wouldn't make a difference in the end. Her choices were limited and as much as she wished she could just push herself to ignore the desire for the truth, she couldn't.

She didn't even know what it meant for her to be half-demon.

Esme lifted her head up and sighed once again, "We should go back. I came here to get the Seal removed, so I am going to." Esme moved to get up off the bench and looked around, not really knowing exactly where they were in the park or the way back to the building where Ardyr'em resided. She had just sort of aimlessly wandered which resulted in her now being lost in Central Park. "Good thing you have a great memory because I don't know the way back..."

"We can sit here and throw out theories all day," Esme said slowly. "I'd rather not do that because I might get attached and hopeful on a specific one only to find out it was utterly wrong and feeling even worse than I do right now. Though honestly, I don't have any hopes for any pleasant details the moment I go back."

"It shall be as you say," Kyle said simply, though inside he was so relieved that had he been standing, he might have swayed in reaction.

"We should go back. I came here to get the Seal removed, so I am going to," Esme said as she stood, looking about as though she were seeing their surroundings for the first time. "Good thing you have a great memory because I don't know the way back..."

Kyle chuckled a trifle ruefully as he rose as well.

"It will take some small time for us to retrace my steps as I searched for you," he said. "You, were not easy to find, and your path meandered quite a bit. I do remember the address to which your mother directed the Uber? so if you wish, we can search for a cab, though I'm not certain where the closest street is from here. Or, we may retrace our steps. I'd guess it will take about 15-20 minutes to do that."

Fable Fable
(Demon will play guide, or try and hail a cab. And Ardyr'e's going to find Kyle very unreceptive to threats to his friend, implied or otherwise. Right now he'll either steamroll any threat or die trying.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Ardyr'e is just testing Kyle's reaction to try and determine his regard for Esme. She's actually not a 'bad guy'. X3 Sorry it's short. )

Esme waited as Kyle explained she'd managed to get a fair distance from the apartment. When he suggested getting a ride back instead of walking, she patted her pockets and then sighed, "I didn't... grab any cash or even my card. So, unless you have money we're going to have to just walk back." She really didn't want to have to trudge all the way back through the rain. She had been so engrossed in her thoughts when she ran she hadn't paid attention to anything else really; the weather or direction she walked.

"If we have to walk back, think you could magic up an umbrella? Kinda pointless probably since we're both already drenched."

"I can cover the trip," Kyle said. "But I don't think I should 'magic' up an umbrella. I've been careful not to expend Power on your behalf so I don't have to set a Price and cause one of the Bonds to break. Until the Seal is removed, that would not be good for you. What I've done so far is not Magical or benefitted me as much as you, so there was no Price. Let's start walking. If we find a cab, we'll take it. For now, stay close and under my jacket. I'll keep you warm if not dry."

Kyle offered Esme his arm, but after a second she just shook her head. Sighing internally, Kyle nodded and began to retrace the path that had brought him to Esme. If she was back to her usual, standoffish self, he wouldn't press the matter. There was little he could do to keep her warm without resorting to magic though, which would not be good for either of them.

"Take the small victory," he told himself. "She was willing to accept comfort, however briefly. Don't mention it until and unless she does. She probably sees it as weakness."

Kyle had overestimated the time it would take for them to retrace their steps, and ten sodden minutes later found them outside the building Ardyr'e lived in.

"And now," Kyle said wryly. "How do we gain entry into these hallowed halls?"

Fable Fable
(Demon is learning discretion? )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Stomach still disagreeing with me today, but gonna try and get this post out. >_O I do want Ardyr'e and Kyle to have a bit of a chat. Figured Kyle could dry himself magically. X3 )

Esme felt the smallest bit of relief that Kyle could cover the cost of a ride back to the building. However, when he declined to procure an umbrella she couldn't help but sigh. Looks like they were taking a long soggy walk then. She understood he wanted to be careful, she didn't want to have a repeat episode either, but was such a simple request really that much of a risk? She could argue that he could just create an umbrella for himself and just happen to share it with her, that wouldn't be a contract thing right?

By the time they managed to get back to the building where Ardyr'e resided, Esme was ready for a hot shower and dry clothes. She shrugged her shoulders when he inquired about how they would get back into the building. The doorman recognized her from earlier and motioned for them to get inside and out of the rain, so at least he would let them in. Once inside Esme approached the security desk, her shoes squeaking loudly with each wet step on the slick tile floor.

"Uhm, we're here to see the woman in the penthouse," she began, feeling a bit nervous under the scrutinizing gaze of the man behind the desk. He didn't ask either of them why they had run out into the rain, he simply lifted up a phone and called Ardyr'e's household. It was a quick conversation that didn't even last a minute before he hung up the phone and said they could use the elevator. They were instructed not to touch any of the button on the elevator as he would remotely send them to the correct floor from the desk. Talk about tight security.

Esme squeaked her way over to the elevator, but not before apologizing for leaving puddles behind to the man at the desk. When they arrived back at Ardyr'e's apartment, the moment the elevator dinged they were both greeted by the butler once again, who was armed and ready with a plethora of towels for them. Esme didn't turn down the warmed towels, taking off Kyle's jacket only for the butler to quickly take it with a word about seeing it cleaned and dried properly. She used the towels to dry herself off as much as she could before stepping into the apartment, the butler in tow behind thema s both Kyle and Esme went back inside and taking their used towels as needed.

"M'lady has warmed drinks ready in the library, she wishes to speak to this gentleman first if the gentleman has a moment," the butler began. "First, allow me to direct this young miss to her guestroom." Esme glanced at Kyle for a moment before she gave his hand a small squeeze and leaving to follow after the butler to shower and change. Once Esme had vanished into the guestroom and the door closed behind her, the butler returned to Kyle. He inquired whether Kyle wanted to see Ardyr'e now or wait till after he has changed out of his wet clothes.

Ardyr'e would be waiting to speak to Kyle alone in the library. Esme's mother was already in her own room, thinking it best to not be present for when Esme returned and to give her space.

Kyle was pleasantly surprised when Esme managed to gain them not only entry back into the building, but admission to the elevator to Ardyr'e's domain. When the elevator opened, they were greeted by the butler, whom it seemed had been warned of their condition. Esme seemed grateful for the warmed towels, and after surrendering his jacket to the butler, had applied them liberally to herself and her clothing, ensuring that at least she wouldn't drip all over Ardyr'e's floors. Kyle only employed a couple of towels for politeness' sake, he would deal with his own clothing after seeing to Esme's needs. His intentions were cut short when the butler spoke up.

"M'lady has warmed drinks ready in the library, she wishes to speak to this gentleman first if the gentleman has a moment. First, allow me to direct this young miss to her guestroom."

After giving Kyle's hand a quick squeeze, Esme allowed the butler to lead her away. When the butler returned, inquiring whether Kyle wanted to see Ardyr'e now, or after he had changed, Kyle just held out his hand to the butler, gesturing to his jacket that Esme had surrendered. After a moment's hesitation, the butler returned the sodden garment, and winced slightly as Kyle donned it over his equally wet clothes. Kyle just chuckled. This man worked for an Adept, and Kyle was quite certain that he had seen Ardyr'e doing something, abnormal. And if he hadn't then he was about to learn a thing or two.

Tapping the last of the Power in the moonstone he had used to transform his clothes, Kyle instructed all the moisture in his clothes to begone, directing it to move to the pile of towels the butler had set aside before leading Esme to her room. In moments his clothes were as pristine as they had been when he conjured them, and the pile of towels was decidedly damp. The phlegmatic butler raised a single eyebrow, then nodded to Kyle with a slight smile.

"If Sir would follow me," he said, heading towards what Kyle now knew were the library doors. Kyle followed, nodding his thanks to the butler as he opened the doors and ushered Kyle back into the book lined room. The door snicked shut behind him, and Kyle found himself alone in the library with Ardyr'e. She was sitting in the same chair she had occupied when they had first arrived, though now there was a serving platter with gently steaming goblets sitting on a small table near to hand. As Ardyr'e looked up, Kyle gave a slight bow.

"The Lady wished a private audience?" he inquired, his voice carefully neutral.

Fable Fable
(Demon will be polite. For now.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Chatty chat.)

Ardyr'e didn't glance at the door as Kyle entered, she had been expecting his company after all. She set down the grimoire that he had brought with him, a playful smirk gracing her lips as she awaited to see his reaction to her discovery. "I do apologize for pilfering through your belongings and must say you were very cautious with this item, it was quite annoying to access it. I don't have any interest in it myself, but I couldn't help but wonder why and how this came to be in your possession. I'm sure my opinion on this book is unwanted, but that is best used for kindling fire than to be left here in this realm."

She leaned back into her chair after motioning for Kyle to take a seat across from her, politely asking him to be seated.

"Áinfean has secluded herself for the time being as she didn't want to provoke Esme upon her return. That gives us a moment for a small chat. Your Pact is fucked, Kyle," she stated blunty, using the era's common tongue to speak with him before easily slipping into the common tongue of their kind. She easily used the nickname that he went by, since Áinfean had shared some of the details she knew of that led to this current predicament.

"It is easy enough to feel at distance what the chaotic nature your Pact with the girl is. Your struggle to contain your anger was a rather large hint to one of the many problems which puts you in a strange position. I have to wonder if your upset was more than just Esme's own fury, or if you've become attached to her. That is a problem itself because whether you desire it or not, once your Pact is done, you are unable to stay within the realm. The moment the last tether that connects you and her is severed, you'll be forcefully pulled back home. It would be best for you to be cautious with any budding affections."

Ardyr'e paused to take a sip of her own steaming beverage, though it was clear she was no done speaking.

"Your earlier comments have made me curious as well as to what the rumors are about my exile. I can assure you that they are most likely all false and meant to bury the truth, but it's been centuries so I'm sure I am not just a warning to the others who are close to the mighty Demon King. I don't really mind being exiled here. I can do what I wish without having to deal with the politics and plotting of the Court. However, I myself am not above exposing that bastard's dirty secrets. However, that is a story for another day."

She looked at Kyle seriously now, crossing her legs and setting down her drink, "Your connection to Esme is worrisome. When I remove the Seal, I wonder how much you'll share of the experience and if it would lead you to interfere in process."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back