• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lore
Here
Tarmagon Tarmagon
( So, not sure if when we move it'll be a quick set up for internet or not. They said it was wired for the only cable company out here so have to see. )

"You're full of surprising gifts," Ardyr'e commented as Kyle produced the bag of moonstones. He seemed calmer to her now that the Seal was removed, though she was certain it wouldn't have affected him like that in the slightest. Perhaps it was Esme's better mood that make him so. While this connection concerned her, there was naught she could really do at this moment.

"They shall be useful, though they'd have to be with the most believable group which would include Áinfean. She will know when and how to use them best anyway. Normal humans won't exactly understand or even believe in the items anyway. The doubles aren't exactly informed of who exactly they are pretending to be or why. They're just concerned with being paid for what they believe is an easy job. And before you open your mouth about the dangers posed to them Esme, the covens won't harm them terribly. They may try and use them for information and they will get nothing as I used a third party for this little plan. Once the covens realize it's a con they won't bother with them any further and will just search group after group."

Esme pursed her lips slightly as Ardyr'e seemed to read her mind. She didn't want others to get hurt because of her parentage.

"As far as getting more than 'Russia' as a location you have to understand Le'cin'der is a hard man to keep track of. I can only send you to the very last place he was that I am aware of. If he's there or not is to be determined once you get there. Not the best situation, but it is where we are at. If you two get there and find him missing, we'll have to go through some... less than favorable channels that you would much rather avoid, believe me."

"Care to elaborate on those channels now?" Esme asked with a quirked brow.

"The Bratva."

Emse's mouth opened slightly as she registered what she had just heard. "W-Wait, the Russian Mafia?! You expect us to just walk up to the largest mafia group in Russia and ask for this guy's whereabouts? That's suicide!"

"Hence why I said you would rather avoid that option. Le'cin'der tends to associate himself with those types for the simple fact that like many others, they are hesitate to go asking questions and will also do the dirty work to remove nosy individuals."

Kyle snorted as Ardyr'e called his contributions to their escape 'gifts'. She should know better. He was acting in his own, and his Pact Bonded's best interests, and right now, those interests included not antagonizing the one whose house they were hiding in, and doing all he could to ensure that they escaped the pursuers that Ardyr'e was certain would descend upon them like vultures upon carrion. Despite what most humans thought of his kind, Kyle was not in a hurry to strew the path behind them with bodies. He would, of course, if it became the only way to preserve himself and Esme, though he rather doubted that Esme would understand or forgive him should such actions become necessary.

Esme and Ardyr'e had been discussing their search for Le'cin'der, and the route they would be forced to take should they not discover his whereabouts following Ardyr'e's directions, and Kyle felt a frown crease his face.

"I do not know of these 'Bratva'," he said gravely. "Though from Esme's reaction, I find myself not in any particular hurry to meet with them. So, to summarize what I know at this point, and please forgive my tone ladies, witch, but I think this needs be said. We are to go to a land neither of us knows, in search of an eccentric hermit whom we do not know how to identify, much less find, all the while evading pursuers we cannot identify until they show themselves. Then, should we be unable to find our quarry, we must resort to the largess of an organization you say is chary with their information, and freely slays those it finds, difficult to dissuade. We have nothing to identify ourselves to this Le'cin'der, save for our natures, which we must conceal, and we have no way of knowing whether the object of our search will even speak with us, much less actually have any information that will prove useful."

Kyle paused, taking a slow sip from his cup before continuing.

"Esme, we are Bonded, and I have sworn to remain by your side, teaching and protecting as I may," Kyle said seriously. "Yet I must now speak as a friend. Should you choose this course, I shall assist you to the utmost of my abilities, but with the information we currently have in hand, this is a fools errand. I do not doubt your need to know everything about your history, for I feel the same hunger, but unless we can be provided with something more to go on, I fear that this adventure upon which we are about to embark will be short, of questionable success, and will end in spilled blood. I do not doubt my ability to protect you against a single opponent, from this world, without bloodshed, but should we be waylaid by more than a brace of opponents, I fear the choice of actions will become limited, and far more, permanent. I can live with this, but I must ask you this. Can you? If I must kill to protect us?"

Fable Fable
(Demon is worried. He will support Esme in all things, but he wants her to know what the cost may be.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( So no ETA for legit cable internet so using my phone's connection tethered to my PC. It's slow but all I have. ;-; )

Esme's eyes went to Kyle when he spoke and Ardyr'e was as calm as ever, as though she hadn't suggested something completely insane and even suicidal. Kyle picked up from Esme's reaction that should they have to go this route to find him if he wasn't where he was supposed to be was not favorable. He broke down their conversation and repeated it with summed up information making it even sound more insane than the first time Esme had heard that they'd have to speak to the Russian mafia.

"Where you are incorrect is the assumption that Le'cin'der would refuse to meet with you. You see, he has a horrible curiosity and you two an the situation would be of great interest to him. Though he can be... easily distracted and temperamental at times, you just have to approach him with an offer he can't refuse; namely the mystery of Esme's parentage. He likes to show off which is a minor factor for the reason why he has ended up here. Also, Kyle you seem to not understand your advantage over the mafia. You have secured funds, basic business common sense, and you were borne of a society of survival. If you cannot handle a group of human gangsters or talk your way out of a problem, then I've overestimated you greatly."

Ardyr'e wasn't trying to be rude, but she was simply too tired to dance around about their hesitations. She closed her eyes for a long moment before opening them to look at Esme now, "It is of course your choice. This is your life and you must decide on your actions that would affect it. All I can do is offer the limited assistance within my power and influence."

Esme stood there anxiously. Having this decisions left entirely up to her when there were so many other people involved in possible consequences unsettled her. Kyle's words also weight very heavily on her. 'Questionable success, end in spilled blood.' These things were not what she wanted on her conscience, but what other choice did she have? If she went home and acted like everything was just fine, the results would be the same wouldn't it? Only it would be different people affected.

"I want to know," she said with hesitance in her voice. "I think if I know more then I can find a way to deal with all of this better. I can't say I'd be fine with leaving a trail of blood and bodies and I can only hope somehow it really doesn't ever come to that. I won't know until it really happens how it would affect me. I would like to think circumstances would determine how I feel about such things, but this isn't like reading the news where a killer is reported as murdering people. I'd actually be present."

She let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand through her hair, "There is no right answer, but I want to know."

Kyle kept a firm leash upon his tongue as Ardyr'e spoke. Of course he had many advantages when it came to dealing with ordinary humans, but how many of them would he be able to use without attracting attention they could ill afford. He forbore to remind Ardyr'e that he had been in the modern world for barely a month by his best guess, and that the last time he had been here was as the humans reckoned time, their 1600's. Until Ardyr'e had sprung her little surprise on them, he and Esme had not had access to any resources beyond that which they provided themselves, and he rather doubted that his basic knowledge of his own world's economy would serve him well here. However, the die was cast. Esme wished to embark upon this path, so they would walk it.

"One rather doubts that Le'cin'der has kept his name as is," Kyle commented. "Can you provide us with the human name that he is currently using? And perhaps any habits that will make him, stand out from those about him?"

Kyle finished his coffee, then rose, beginning to pace slowly about the room.

"Despite the things that I have done so far," he said, directing his words mostly at Esme, "Most of my abilities have been directed inwards. While I can and will actively review and practice the lessons that I did not understand at the time, that will remain the case for some time. Also, I am tougher than a human, but I am not invulnerable. Despite Ardyr'e's opinion, a bullet will kill me quite as dead as a regular human if I do not know it is coming. I can take certain precautions, but I must take care to conceal my, our nature, which will limit what I may do until I have taught you a measure of control over your Power."

Kyle paused as an aspect of Power occurred to him. Hm.

"How is it proposed that we travel to Russia?" he asked. "Will we travel by aircraft, or by sea? One notes that unless the searchers were actively aboard an ocean-going vessel with us, they would be hard pressed to locate us with the dampening effects of water, especially salt-water upon the transmission of Power."

Fable Fable
(Hmm. Maybe they should take a cruise?)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( They could take a cruise or a plane XD )

"Le'cin'der gave up aliases long ago because after so long he just lost track of what he was calling himself as decades passed. He's been going by his nickname; Le. As far as habits that make him stand out? Everything about him stands out. He hasn't been one to keep up with the ever changing fashion. Last I saw him he was still wearing 60's style clothing and that was in the early 2000's. For all I know he could be disguising himself as an Elvis impersonator. I wouldn't put it past him to do something so odd."

Esme let out a small yawn, using her hand to cover her mouth as Ardyr'e replied to Kyle before his attention seemed to turn to her. She went a bit stiff being caught mid-yawn and tried to cut it off early, only prompting another yawn to happen. If this is what Kyle felt like if he used his Powers she wondered if it was even a good idea to ask him to even use them. Wouldn't he just exhaust himself?

"I mean, we're in a damn if we do damned if we don't situation, right?" she finally replied after a second or two after her yawn as if she'd never do them. "I get the risks, but either I'm going to be hunted down by these covens without any idea of what I can do. Or I can find out the real truth from this Yoda demon guy and maybe from there have a chance to figure something out to keep the covens off my back. Maybe I get some demon cloaking ability."

She was trying to joke a bit around the subject as she did sometimes when she didn't have answers. Usually her jokes were more sarcastic in nature, but she was trying to lie to herself to have some glimmer of hope in this situation.

"The way you travel is your choice, by land or by sea each has their pros and cons. If you choose to go via aircraft you'll reach your destination much more quickly, but there is the chance they can track you more easily than say a leisure cruise. There is also the issue of your reason for visiting Russia. A man and woman traveling together with no other friends, the easiest story is the simplest of an intimate relationship."

"W-Whoa," Esme interrupted with a small blush, "Why does everyone have to go with that? Couldn't it be for a business trip?" She knew the idea would fall flat because what business people chose to go on a cruise for business rather than flying business class on a plane?

Ardyr'e smirked at Esme's reaction. "Then perhaps you should take the plane instead. Though since you two will be traveling together perhaps you both should decide on this. I'd personally say to take the cruise. Relax a bit on the way rather than spending hours upon hours trapped on a tin can in the sky stressed. A cruise will give you more time to... reflect."

"I would cast my vote upon the idea of a cruise myself," Kyle said after a bit of consideration. "While I understand the reasons, most of the reasons, that traveling under the guise of paramours distresses you, I would put forth that my proven actions should ease your mind. And... we will need the time."

Kyle sighed, knowing that what he was about to say was going to make Esme highly uncomfortable, and Áinfean was probably going to explode. The one person he didn't think was going to react badly was Ardyr'e. Despite her warnings, he knew that she was going to understand what he was about to say.

"Esme," Kyle said carefully. "You know the difficulties we were forced to overcome so that we could attend the Gala. How hard you had to work to overcome your issues, and the time and patience required. That was child's play compared to what we face now. In order for me to teach you what you must know, and quickly enough that you will be ready to defend yourself, we must become more intimate with each other than a mated couple."

Kyle saw Áinfean's face, but continued unhurriedly.

"Not in the sense of the physical, but mentally and spiritually we will be sharing, bits of ourselves. Training is a combination of what you would call, lecture and practical. And in order for the practical to occur in secrecy and safety, we will be joining our Power. Not through the medium of spelled items, but directly. There will always be, leakage during these times. I know that you guard yourself intensely, and that this idea will cause you distress. Unless you are willing to 'go to ground' for several years while I attempt to train you in the human fashion however, I see little choice. I can attempt to teach you what I may without a 'practical' side, but..."

Kyle shrugged helplessly, not willing to say that such a path would leave them with the worst of both worlds. Awakened Power with little to no control at all, but an awareness of it that would draw it forth in times of stress and anger or fear.

"I have received some of my training in this fashion," he said finally. "And I know the pitfalls. The choice need not be made now, while tired and worried, but it must be made ere we depart, and by you Esme. Not me, Ardyr'e, nor your mother. No matter your decision, I shall support it and do the best I may."

Fable Fable (Effectively having to communicate mind to mind isn't something Kyle thinks Esme can accept, even for training. But, he has to let her know it is the best option, and that they will share more than just the lesson itself, even if he's doing it a trifle obliquely.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( She wants to know all the details before actually committing to Kyle's version of training. X3 )

Esme sighed as Kyle and Ardyr'e agreed on the idea of taking a cruise. It honestly wasn't just having an intimate cover story, but the fact that she really didn't want to deal with being sea sick. She was not one that dealt with being on the water well. The last time she had done anything on the water was canoeing on a lake at summer camp when she was in middle school, and her stupid partner rocked it so much it turned it over and dumped them both into the water.

When he mentioned them having to be "more intimate than a mated couple" her face went red and her mother's expression darkened and gave Kyle a look that could kill.

"It's just that if we go with a story of being boyfriend/girlfriend that we're going to have to share a room, with one bed, because it'd be odd for a couple to have two beds. Also, you really need to choose your words better." Ardyr'e let out a small laugh at Emse's reaction.

"Perhaps now without the Seal you can better... teach him how this world actually works. Though it's unlikely his mannerisms will actually change. Change for us is a slow process and I've had the benefit of being here as your world progressed. Kyle, as much as my advice may be unwanted, you may simply have to start with what she's firstly and most familiar with and that is lecture. She needs to understand the concepts first and foremost before any practical attempts. And as much as you will dislike this suggestion, you may have to simply subdue her should she accidentally user her powers. Basically, he'll have to knock you out. Just a suggestion," Ardyr'e added at the end.

Esme didn't know what to do. She was full of doubts and fears. She liked her privacy and the idea of what Kyle was suggesting was way outside of her comfort zone. It was one thing to overcome some personal physical boundary issues, it was another to expose yourself entirely.

"I'd rather just... go with a lecture option until I fully understand what exactly it would mean for the other stuff," she finally answered after a long pause. She was nervous Kyle would be displeased with her choice, but she wanted to know before just accepting anything.

"Then it shall be so," Kyle said, calm acceptance in his voice. "And still your glare Lady Witch. I do not know how it is with your kind, but I cannot lie or deceive if speaking mind to mind. Think upon that, and the fact that I am willing to offer that to your daughter before you 'get your panties in a twist'. It is not your decision to make, it is Esme's, and it is made. Deal with it."

Kyle turned his back on the fuming witch, looking directly at Esme.

"Your choice is made," he said. "And until you know more, I shall make no attempt to influence you save this one, last comment for you to think upon in the future. This is not some one-way path to allow me to rifle through your darkest secrets. Nothing that you do not bring to the surface of your mind would I even be able to glimpse, and only those things that I feel strongly of would you sense."

Kyle turned his attention to Ardyr'e, nodding slightly at her.

"You are quite correct in that I still have far too much to learn about this world. Efficiency has always driven me, and though I am trying very, very hard to take this world's social cues under advisement, I still have a long way to go. Despite being able to survive in Court, I was never comfortable there with all of the carefully chosen words, double and triple meanings. It is a failing, but I am aware of it and trying. I suppose I shall remain a, 'tight ass?' for some time to come, but there it is. For now though, would you and the Witch please bear Witness?"

"Esme," Kyle said, bowing to her. "I have told you I shall teach you all I may. Now do I, K'ylenthar, Swear to teach you all that I may, until such time as you feel you may no longer study with me. I will use no technique you do not approve, and I shall do my utmost to ensure that you cause no harm to yourself, or anyone you do not wish to harm. In return, you shall strive to learn all that I may teach and follow any REASONABLE request that I make in regards to your training. This Accord may be dissolved without fault by either party should differences arise that are truly beyond resolve. Do you accept my offer of training?"

Fable Fable
(Demon is leaving the power to choose entirely in Esme's hands. He hopes she understands his sincerity.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( She doesn't understand any of this, but she tries. XD )

Áinfean's glare only darkened at Kyle and would have opened her mouth had Ardyr'e not shook her head. Kyle has continued, allowing Esme her choice as much as she really didn't want to have to choose and would rather just have her life return to how it was before her friend and roommate had brought in that book.

Esme stiffened when Kyle bowed to her, looking at Ardyr'e and then her mother trying to understand what exactly was going on before looking back at Kyle. She hesitated for a few seconds after he finished and gave a small nod with a nervous "yes". "D-Did you really have to bow for that?" she asked him. Had he told her to repeat every word he had just said, she'd probably only get about half of it right due to being flustered. Why did all this need to be so dramatic?

"Uhm, never mind, don't answer. Maybe we should do something about the knowledge gap since all I provided you with was a dictionary. Or maybe Ardyr'e-"

"Oh no, this demoness is not going to cut a deal with another demon. No offense," Ardyr'e stated to Kyle for no offense had been intended, just such a thing would be tiresome using her already depleted powers and Kyle and Ardyr'e weren't at a good level of trust to enter into something that complicated. "You are in a contract with him and should be more than enough to offer enlightenment of this era. I'm what you would call, tainted in the fact that I am not exactly a native of your realm and have been here for centuries. However, that might need to wait just a bit, at least until you've both recovered a bit longer."

Kyle chuckled, then inclined his head towards Ardyr'e.

"None taken," he replied, his voice light. "And you are quite correct that there would be, issues, should you try and educate me upon this world."

Kyle turned his gaze towards Áinfean , and while his voice was far from friendly, it wasn't icily cold and formal either.

"You know that words frame intent Lady Witch," he said evenly. "And that intent is all when magic is concerned. I challenge you to find fault with the bargain I laid before your daughter. How is it unreasonable or unfair? How is my price beyond that which could be expected by any teacher?"

"And yes," he said, very, very gently, turning his gaze upon Esme. "I'm afraid that in this case, I really did have to bow. I know it makes you uncomfortable, but as I told your mother, intent is everything in the Rules of Magic, and I needed to make my intent plain. I imagine you would have been more comfortable with something like, 'I'll teach, and you'll learn, suits?', and when, if, we become truly comfortable around each other, something like that will work, but for now, at least where magic is concerned, the more formal and specific we are in our speech, the better."

Kyle gave a rueful grin, then continued, keeping his voice level, even gentle.

"And while I think that the whole idea of traveling by sea would be our best option, you have a voice here as well Esme. If the subterfuge we must adopt to remain unnoticed will cause you that much discomfort, we will find another way. If you do wish to travel by air though, I may find it necessary to ask your permission to dampen, or even drain your Power until we are once more upon the ground. Magic responds to emotion, and if you were to encounter someone like 'Jerk-off Jack', things might turn unpleasant very, very quickly. Either way, I will... I'll do my best to keep you safe and comfortable. Meanwhile, we should eat, rest, and then you and I need to find an out of the way place for your first lesson."

Fable Fable
(Demon is trying, trying hard.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Esme's mom doesn't even have to say anything to trigger Kyle, lol. Every time I've tried to sit down and reply today, something has come up, oml. )

"I've yet to say a word, yet you seem to interpret my silence in whatever manner you see fit. I am allowed my displeasure, but have held my tongue and yet you keep seemingly to try and provoke me. Makes one wonder," Áinfean replied cooly, completely ignoring his questions and comments. What did he expect? Her sudden happy approval? Was her silence not enough? She was doing as Ardyr'e had suggested, to be silent and still and let Esme figure things out for herself, as much as she hated the idea. Yet here this demon was, dragging her into the conversation.

Ardyr'e sighed, "Kyle, if you're provoked by just Áinfean's presence, this is going to cause more problems for everyone. Since you two cannot play together nicely, you both need to simply not interact with each other. I had hoped that Áinfean's lack of snarky comments would have been enough, but I didn't think you would lower yourself to such behavior over simple expressions." Ardyr'e was trying to politely scold him for his boorish behavior.

Esme rubbed her hands over her face when Kyle reacted to her mother. That was like poking a bee hive! She had been wondering why her mother had been so quiet for so long and no things were getting messy again. She sighed into her hands before she dropped them back down and looked at Kyle. It was so easy for him to change his tone and inside her a seed of doubt pitted itself in her stomach.

She perked up as an idea came to her. It was something she did when she hated making a decision herself; flipping a coin. It had been a long time since she'd used something so childish, but right now she was just too overloaded with thoughts, worries, and emotions that right now she felt like she was being pulled into too many directions at once. She didn't have any change on her so she looked around for something, anything that could work as a substitute item. There wasn't really anything so she cleared her throat nervously and excused herself saying she would be right back.

When she came back she had a quarter in her hand, "Heads we use an airplane, tails we take a cruise." She used her thumb to flick the coin into the air, caught it and then slapped it onto the back of her opposite hand, taking a small breath as she lifted her palm up to see the result; tails. "One decision down," she sighed out, earning a small laugh from Ardyr'e.

Esme tucked the coin into a pocket and hesitantly regarded Kyle, "What do you mean 'find a way out' for a first lesson? I a mean, this seems still kinda of rushing to me."

“Yes,” Kyle replied, his voice even. “It is rushing things, but driven by necessity. And by ‘out of the way’, I mean nothing more than one of Lady Ardyr’e’s guest rooms. We will need about an hour without interruption so that you may learn the feel of your Power. Now, while your Power is depleted by the removal of the Seal, would be the safest time, but if you wish to wait, we can do so. It will just require more preparation on my part the longer we wait. No matter what, you MUST have this first lesson before we leave here.”

“Your pardon Lady Witch,” Kyle said, turning to Esme’s mother, his voice still even and calm. “You are quite correct in the idea that I have been, ‘baiting?’ you in an attempt to gauge your character and strength. While we might remain in disagreement in our opinions, I have uncovered nothing but strength and conviction. I think you have passed this to your daughter, and it will serve her well in what we now face. For that, you have my esteem, and I will trouble you no more.”

“I shall instigate no further discord under your roof by design,” Kyle said, turning to Ardyr’e. “Anything that happens from here on out will be the result of my ignorance, not willful intent. Now we have the barest bones of a plan, and all we may do is attempt to put enough upon those bones that it can be fully birthed.”

Fable Fable
(Demon is attempting, diplomacy?)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Esme's mother rolled low, no argument from her, lol. )

Esme's head titled ever so slightly as Kyle spoke. She was focusing as best as she could because thus far anything he said having to deal with magic or demons was sort of... well sixty percent seemed to go over her head. She still felt anxious inside, but tried to keep it under control or at least not really express it openly, though based on some earlier conversation Kyle might just pick up on the fact she felt this way. Which of course only served to make her feel more anxious. It was a vicious cycle.

"If you think it's safer now rather than later, then we probably should just do it then." Esme conceded, her hands gripping each other at her front. It was better to do this without what Ardyr'e expressed as an explosion from a while ago. So, she would put on a brave face and just do what she needed to do for the safety of everyone.

Áinfean passively remained where she was, her expression still flat and unamused as Kyle spoke to her. Esme cringed slightly when Kyle admitted he had been trying to bait her mother. Thankfully, her mother gave only the smallest nod possible, seemingly entering into a flimsy truce with Kyle.

Ardyr’e clapped her hands together slightly, "Now that those things have been settled. You two are free to use whatever guest room you wish for your first lesson. I'll be making your travel arrangements for the next available cruise into Europe." She got up then and left to do her task, not waiting for anyone's response.

Áinfean also went to leave, but paused just before vanishing out of sight,"Remember Esme, proceed with caution." Esme inhaled and then exhaled before glancing at Kyle, "So, what exactly are we doing? I mean I get the whole in a room for an hour to learn to feel this Power thing, but how exactly am I supposed to do that?"

"For starters," Kyle said with a smile, "You need to answer one question, and answer honestly. Do YOU, Esme, wish to do this? Not to protect others, not to please me, or your mother, but for yourself."

"Can't those all just be factors? Well, excluding the pleasing my mother part, pretty obvious that one isn't on my mind," Esme replied.

"Of course they can," Kyle said with a nod. "But first and foremost, this has to be something that you want for yourself. Not something to be feared, but something to be embraced. An unknown, but not unknowable part of yourself. Do you want this?"

"Is saying I don't know acceptable?" Esme replied, doubt showing on her face. "I mean human nature is basically wandering around not know what we want about sixty percent of the time."

"We'll try some other time," Kyle said gently. "Your Power is tied to the very core of your being. It IS you on the most fundamental level. If you are uncertain of your desire to find your Power, it will not manifest for you. For now, you have seen me 'do tricks' with my magic, but I will, with your permission, show you my own Power made manifest. Maybe it will help you decide if you want this or not."

"Saying stuff that still goes over my head," Esme said a touch wryly. "Just as long as you don't jump scare me it should be fine."

"It may be different," Kyle said with a chuckle, "But not scary. Let's head to your room. You'll be more comfortable in 'your' space."

Once they had retreated to Esme's room, Kyle settled cross legged onto the floor, finding his center with the ease of long practice.

"I'll be back in a bit," he said, reaching inward towards the well of his Power. "Say hi for me."

Before Esme could ask what he meant by that, Kyle's head fell forward and his breathing slowed. For a minute Esme thought he had gone to sleep, but then a golden glow became visible, faintly outlining Kyle's body. The glow intensified, then... the only way to describe it was that a golden, glowing image of Kyle stood up, leaving Kyle's physical body sitting on the floor. The ghost Kyle looked down at the physical Kyle and smiled fondly.

"I wish you would come see me more often, " ghost Kyle said, his voice Kyle's but somehow, richer, more vibrant, almost as though he were speaking in chorus. " I've missed our talks."

"I'm sorry," Kyle's physical body said, in Kyle's normal voice, eyes still shut, head still down. "Please, help Esme understand."

"How could I not?" ghost Kyle asked. " After all, we are you and you are us. I will try to find the words that have eluded you/us."

The glowing Kyle turned its golden gaze, warm like a summers sunshine, on Esme. The figure radiated comfort and peace,and seemed to be completely gold, though some spots were dim, and a single point was actually dark.

"Esme," it said, the voice warm, despite the odd choral effect. "Thank you for giving Kyle/me a worthy purpose to pursue. I am what your Freud so erroneously called the Id/Superego. You could call me my/our subconscious and not be far wrong either. I am the part of myself/Kyle who manipulates the world through magic. What can I explain to help you understand? "

Fable Fable
(Meet the manifestation of Kyle's Power, his subconscious. )

Esme still wasn't sure exactly what was going on because everything seemed so cryptic and foreign. She wasn't raised with these concepts and a question popped into her mind as they walked to the guest room she was using. When Kyle sat on the floor and told her to say 'hi' for him she gave him a quizzical glance. Say hi to who? Just then something odd happened and she stepped away from the glowing demon and bumped into the vanity that was up against one wall, preventing her to retreat any further. A glowy Kyle then stepped out from his own body that regarded Kyle's physical self in a manner than made it seem it wasn't Kyle? What the hell was going on right now?

When the attention of the entity focused on her, she went stiff because in her head she suddenly had the silly idea she was about to be possessed by some Kyle ghost. 'It' - as this was really all she could identity the thing as - spoke directly to her, calling itself what would have been called Id or superego, though those were two separate aspects of Freud's theory. Honestly, this just made things even more confusing for her. Why couldn't she just talk to Kyle, why some weird glowy version of himself?

"Right now my mind is a clusterfuck. A bit of warning about what he was going to do would have been appreciated before just throwing you at me," she sighed out with mild bit of stress and flustering.
"Why can't he just talk to me, why you? It seems that demon magic and witch magic is completely different too." It was then that Esme had a thought whisper to the front of her mind. Maybe, just maybe her mother would be the better first baby step into this world of magic. Kyle had difficulty grasping modern concepts, but her mother was a witch who knew about magic in this world.

"The problem in asking me in what I want to know is I don't even know what i am supposed to ask. I mean I get the basic odd concept of magic itself, you can do stuff that normal people can't do. I get that demons and witches can use it. I get there is a price to pay to use it. That's it. I know more about new age crystals and use of colored candles and stupid shit with zodiac signs. I also really really hope I don't have some glowy alter ego cause that just kinda.. weirds me out a bit."

"Hey, don't be too hard on... Hmm. Yeah, going to have to make a distinction here," the ghost Kyle said, a frown creasing its face. "Tell you what, just think of the body as Kyle, and me as Spirit. So, back to my point... Don't be too hard on Kyle. He's trying his best, but the culture shock was very nearly debilitating. Add in the strange Pact that you two wound up with, the language problems, your mother, well, you get the picture. On my level, he has a much better grasp of what's going on, but filtering it through his conscious mind adds a whole lot of cultural baggage that makes him nearly impossible to understand."

The glowing Kyle began to pace, maintaining a healthy distance from Esme in an obvious attempt to keep her calm. After a few moments it snapped its fingers, the sharp sound unexpected from a being apparently made of nothing but light.

"Let me try things this way," Spirit said. "For starters, there's not demon magic and witch magic, there's just magic. The difference is just in how we use it, and whether or not we're born to it. No one knows when or how it was discovered that demons could grant humans the ability to use magic, but some bright being figured it out and complicated our lives to no end."

Spirit gave a rueful chuckle, shaking his head.

"I wonder if he, she, or it had known what was to come they'd have granted the first human magic? No matter. So, magic... think of it as electricity. Everyone has potential, a battery, but only a few people can actually tap their battery to make things happen. It takes a machine or device of some kind to turn electricity into something else, and that's what I do. I'm Kyle's 'magic engine' that turns raw power into controlled effects. If your 'magic engine' needs to run through crystals or colored candles, or whatever, that's fine. And no, unless you shape one, you're not going to have a 'glowy alter ego'. I'm the result of Kyle's training and personal preference."

Spirit Kyle looked down at the physical Kyle with a pensive expression, bordering on sad.

"His mother loves him," Spirit said quietly, "But other than that, Kyle is desperately lonely. I think he created me to replace the only friend he ever had. Someone who couldn't be taken away from him to teach him a lesson. He cares for you, and that terrifies him... but that's not my story to tell. Magic. If you use your 'battery' for someone else's benefit, then they have to 'pay the electric bill' as it were. Since you're the source, you get to set the price, and you supply most of the power, but some gets generated by the other person, kind of like a static charge building up. Then, once you've done whatever it was you agreed to, the static charge dissipates between you, giving you both a mild jolt. If you deliberately don't do the work, or the other person refuses to pay up, the static charge hits the person who broke the deal, and what would be a mild jolt if shared, can be a lethal charge to a single person. That make any sense to you?"

Fable Fable
(Spirit Kyle has a much better grasp of the modern language than regular Kyle.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( He def has a better grasp. Physical Kyle has too much cultural baggage in the brain. XD I think I had Ardyr'e mentioned about the seal complications, cant remember right now @_@ )

Was Esme being hard on him? It was just that she was caught off guard and just being told what things were going to happen that would have been appreciated. As he - it? - explained what exactly it was, she kind of understood, but then again her concepts of what spirit was and what this thing was could be different. Hell she was agnostic so for something to present itself as a spirit seemed odd to her. She understood this spirit much better than Kyle though as he was able to explain why Kyle spoke the way he did; cultural baggage.

As he paced she no longer tried to press herself against the wall out of a flight or fight mode from the strange entity, but she also didn't get any closer. "I can agree that giving humans magic is a great way to complicate things," she agreed.

She felt relief once the entity said she didn't have some alter ego waiting to pop out of her. She didn't know what catalyst she would need for her magic either, but now she felt a bit ashamed for giving Liz so much shit when her friend would use those items to cast spells. There was some truth to the usage of those items it seemed and Esme had always rolled her eyes over what she had found to be a silly fantasy she occasionally got pulled into.

Esme followed the spirit's gaze as he regarded Kyle and stated it believed Kyle created it out of a need of a friend. What she did know about Kyle, it seemed very plausible of a reason. She sighed to herself and ran a hand through her hair in a common gesture. She blinked at the glowy essence as it stated that Kyle cared about her and that it scared him. Well that made two of them then. Just as quickly as he brought up the subject he changed it to explain how power was like a battery, a power you charged for use of. The way he explained it was finally something that made sense to her.

"So, then our deal?" she inquired "Ours has been pretty much been determined as a fucked up contract. Ardyr'e had mentioned how badly had I fucked it up. Well, anyone who knows anything about magic probably can tell how fucked it is. What does that exactly mean for us then? If it's not a normal one, then what is it?"

Spirit gave a wry chuckle, shaking his head. When he spoke again, his tone was as dry as the Sahara.

"I'd have to say 'fucked up' is a good description, but it's not your fault, anymore than it was your fault to be born half demon. Remember how I said there was a 'static charge' built up between the two parties of a contract? Well, what you two have between you is more along the lines of a nuclear reactor."

Spirit paused, looking at the expression on Esme's face, before continuing unhurriedly.

"It's not as bad as it sounds!" he said, holding up both hands in a calming gesture. "When you were Sealed, your magic battery had no real way to discharge, so it just built and built and built. When you actually cast the Summoning, which took no magic by the way, Kyle's power reached out to connect with yours to form the Contract. I'm not certain, but I imagine that the Seal tried to prevent that, which caused more and more of Kyle's power to be used trying to connect. Between your built up power, and Kyle's personal reserves, you temporarily overcame the Seal by brute force. Result, instead of a 115 volt line between you, you have more like a 50,000 volt transmission line. There's no way, short of Kyle sacrificing his life for you, or you sacrificing yours for him, that so much power can be safely dissipated in one act, so you will have to 'bleed the power off' in small increments. Use a little here, a little there, until the potential gets low enough so that the 'static shock' won't kill you both."

Spirit looked at the seated Kyle, then nodded sharply, as if he had just had a revelation.

"I imagine that's why he want's to start right now," Spirit said, musingly. "With your 'battery' so empty, you can absorb a bigger charge safely, and there's almost no chance whatsoever of you getting out of control and, 'electrocuting' yourself or him."

Spirit's face took on a sober expression, and his voice turned serious as he continued.

"There's a reason Kyle is so insistent that you have to want this. Kyle KNOWS he is magic, and that he can do magic. He was born to it, immersed in it, trained in it from birth. A human witch doesn't realize their power until puberty as I understand it, and they have to be taught to BELIEVE that they can work magic. You have to BELIEVE/KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you can affect the world around you. If you don't, your power won't obey you, no matter what kind of 'engine' you create for yourself, or worse, will obey your subconscious mind rather than your conscious one. In this one thing, Kyle has the right of it. You have to want to control this part of you. You have to believe it exists. In this one thing, you must be absolutely certain in this thought. 'I CAN do this.' If you don't think you can do that, then I suggest you give control to someone else until you believe in yourself enough, and are comfortable enough in magic to be certain that you can handle it on your own."

Spirit gave a small bow to Esme before starting to fade slightly around the edges.

"I can't be out like this too long," he said apologetically. "Give Kyle about a day to rest, and then he can call me back if you need to talk to me again. He's trying his best, and he knows you're having a hard time understanding him, but he just doesn't have enough clarity in his conscious mind. With your help, he might be able to find the words. Just, be patient with him. And know this... he means every 'grand gesture' and 'smooth compliment' completely. He's not trying to flatter his way 'into your pants' or to seduce you. He means them as compliments. It's the way he talks."

With his final words, Spirit walked over and settled into the sitting Kyle, briefly overlaying his body with a golden glow before seeming to sink into seated Kyle's skin. Kyle took a deep breath, then opened his eyes.

"Was he able to help?" he asked hopefully.

Fable Fable
(Spirit Kyle can't stay out too long.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Esme's conflicted, she doesn't want to harm anyone, but she feels like giving any control over herself to someone else isn't good either. XD )

Esme couldn't help but smirk at the spirit swore, at least it didn't mind being vulgar. She listened as it explained further, comparing magic to electricity and the charge built up between herself and Kyle needing to be slowly fulfilled rather than in one go. That she understood more than the first time it was explained to her, comparing their contract like a bunch of tethers.
Honestly, magic was annoyingly complicated to Esme.

She glanced down at her hands when it told her with herself being drained like this, she didn't threaten any harm like she would had she been full of energy. She wanted to ask why she would need to absorb a charge when it was just better for her not to have one at all if she having it was such a threat, but the spirit continued. He explained the situation with why she had to want this, that her uncertainty in herself was basically harmful. As she was right now, there was no way she was certain, far from it and only getting more confused and stretched thin mentally with each revelation.

The spirit excused itself then and informed her she could always speak to it again if she needed to; and she might. She gave a small farewell wave as the spirit vanished back into Kyle, moving to plop down in front of him with her legs crossed. "Well, he definitely explains things in a way I can understand which helps greatly. He? It? I don't really know how to refer to.. him? Pronoun issues aside, I think I understand better about my situation and have an answer to the question of if I 'want' this and the answer is... not really. I'm a mess of doubt and if being that way means I'm a walking bomb, then we can only go from there I guess? The last thing I want or need is some dark thought causing havoc in some way. It said that I would have to give someone else control though and that kind of bothers me as well though."

"Well, he definitely explains things in a way I can understand which helps greatly. He? It? I don't really know how to refer to.. him? Pronoun issues aside, I think I understand better about my situation and have an answer to the question of if I 'want' this and the answer is... not really. I'm a mess of doubt and if being that way means I'm a walking bomb, then we can only go from there I guess? The last thing I want or need is some dark thought causing havoc in some way. It said that I would have to give someone else control though and that kind of bothers me as well though."

"Hmmm." Kyle said, his brow furrowing. "All that followed after I spoke was just between the two of you. Unless I am speaking to him, and yes, since it is my Power him is appropriate, I do not have access to the memories of what was said. It is a closed and locked book within my mind that only you may open. I'm quite certain that my subconscious has a much better grasp of the language than my waking brain, but I'm trying. So... control. I imagine you fear that this 'control' will be over you directly. It shall not be so. What you need to grant is voluntary access to your Power to another. It need not even be me, though thanks to our Pact, you may be certain I cannot misuse it. It amounts to giving me, or the person of your choosing, permission to drain off some of your Power as it builds up, keeping it at safe levels. Since you are granting permission, you may set the terms, and may revoke your permission at any time without fear of repercussions."

Kyle looked at Esme, and obviously couldn't interpret her reaction to his words. He wasn't certain that he was explaining things in a way that she could understand, and cursed his inability to articulate what he saw so clearly in his mind. He couldn't keep the snarl of frustration off of his face, though he did manage to keep his voice calm and level, just.

"One could wish that you were amenable to mind-to-mind communication," he said, holding up one hand to forestall any comment by Esme. "I understand that you are not, and I do not disparage you in the slightest for that! I also understand that it will probably never be so. You are a very private person, and the more things spiral out of your control, the more and more you want to exert control over those things that you can. I will continue to try and explain things using what words I may, and you may feel free to tell me when I am 'confusing the hell' out of you. I imagine that you wish you would not build up Power at all, but now that the Sealing is gone, that will happen as long as you draw breath. I could limit the build up, but the spell would make you stand out to those with the ability to see. I... Drat it. Help me here a little. Ask me something, that way I have a clue what to consider rather than 'shooting in the dark' here."

Fable Fable
(Conscious Kyle is nowhere nearly as well spoken in modern English as Spirit Kyle is.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Sorry for the delay. I woke up later today than expected and decided to get something done sooner rather than later, and with laggy phone internet, took longer than expected. Ugh)

Well, thankfully Kyle gave her the correct pronoun so the next time she was talking to 'spirit' kyle she wouldn't struggle with being mindful of how to refer to him. Esme tiled her head to the side when Kyle said he didn't remember anything that was said between herself and that of his power given personality. It really did seem they were completely separated entities. So, it was one way then? The power knew what Kyle thought and felt, but not the other way around?

She watched as the frustration crossed his features, though he seemed to remain clam otherwise through his tone. Part of her worried that she was the cause of his frustration, her little mortal mind unable to grasp concepts that were basic, but the Spirit Kyle's words made her decide to push that dark thought aside. He expressed that he wished she was open for a telepathic link, but in the same moment he also understood why she would never do such a thing. It showed he was learning about her preference for privacy and control. One had little control over life itself, but she was going to control what she could because the chaos of her life was just too much.

"So, all it would do it sort of, take the overflow then? Make sure whatever Power I have doesn't get out of control?" Esme asked, trying to understand what accepting this deal would entail. He also had told her to ask him something. "No control over my actions, my thoughts? No control to make me cast some weird spell? I mean, if all it is, is just to prevent my personal power cup from overflowing and spilling out, then that... is fine I guess. But, how exactly would you take it? Also, you wouldn't ever drain me completely right?"

Kyle chuckled at Esme’s barrage of questions, but he was smiling as he did so. Finally she was asking questions he could answer, and use what he hoped were words she would understand.

“Let me take those in order,” Kyle said, still chuckling faintly. “No, I would not just be taking the ‘overflow’, but about half of the Power you would normally build up, at least to start. We don’t know where your final Power level will stabilize, so I might have to take more or less in order to keep you unable to accidentally manifest, effects. As you gain conscious control, I would take less and less, then once you are in complete control, start repaying any Power not spent on your behalf."

Kyle paused, obviously considering his next words carefully. After a few moments, he nodded to himself. Truth in all things was his promise, so he steeled himself and continued.

"I, am probably capable of controlling your actions," Kyle said. "And under some very exact circumstances, our Pact would allow it. Such as freezing you in place to prevent you from jumping off a bridge, or stepping in front of a moving vehicle. To make you take any actions that require more than standing still, no. I could do this with or without you agreeing to let me limit your Power. Any demon could, which is why I wish to teach you how to prevent any such thing from happening. With time, you will learn to block such things automatically. As to your thoughts, they are your own. You may share them, but even then, the only thing I could do is try to persuade you by arguments. There are those who could do more, much more, but once again, defending takes far less Power than attacking."

Kyle looked at Esme soberly, a grim smile on his face.

"I know how to protect myself, and even I could not hope to stand against some from my world. Anyway, spells. No, I can't force you to cast anything. No one can. You can be threatened, cajoled, or bribed, but in the end, it's your decision. Always. As a half-demon, you are not subject to Summoning, well... I don't think your are at any rate."

Kyle cocked his head to the side, obviously puzzling over the problem. In a few seconds his face cleared with a 'eureka' expression.

"No, you can't be Summoned," he said definitely. "You can't cross between worlds unaided. Ergo, no Summoning. As to 'taking' your Power, it's yours. I could take it by force, but that would not be, survivable, for either of us. The Pact and all. You, on the other hand, can voluntarily grant me access. As the giver, it would fall to you to set the conditions. Something like, 'Kyle, I grant you permission to drain such of my Power as is needed to prevent me from accidentally hurting anyone. This Power to be used for my benefit, or to be stored for later return.' Then, if I agree to your terms, that's it. I'd effectively be using your own Power to teach you, once you decide you're ready to learn."

The final question still hung unanswered, and Kyle sighed.

"As to draining you completely... I can't promise that I never will. It would be to preserve our lives, nothing less. It wouldn't kill either of us, but we would be long in recovering our Power. All I can promise is that I would share your fate, and I would not burn either of us clean of the ability to do magic."

Fable Fable
(He's trying, but she asked some important questions and he promised never to lie to her, even if she dislike or fears him because of his answers. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(You've more than likely noticed the color change. I have evolved. XD )

Esme listened to Kyle's answers, the first of which was fine enough. He could take her power to prevent her from causing chaos and wreaking havoc. When he paused, she knew he was going to say something she didn't like. It seemed to be a habit of his, to hesitate as he paused to really focus on how to say something that might upset her. When he first said he could control her actions her mind went into overtime of processing this while trying to appear calm-ish. She needed to be patient, he wasn't done, he was still explaining.

What he said made her put her hands in her face for a moment to cover as she tried to process this without giving out an expression to bother Kyle with, though her actions would probably be noted anyway. So, he could control her slightly already if needed, but just to stop her in her tracks? Honestly, it seemed like there was this invisible rule book. Laws were always complicated like this though; if this therefore that excepting this and under some other sub-section article.

At least she couldn't be summoned. Though why anyone would summon her was a question if that was even a possibility. She also wouldn't want to somehow end up in Kyle's world either. She'd not probably survive there at all. He face stayed in her hands as he continued and answered her question about him fully draining her, saying he couldn't promise he wouldn't ever do it.

"I think... I kind of understand," she said with a sigh before dropping her hands and looking back at Kyle. "You can only take as much or as little as whatever agreement is set upon for this, I guess best thing to call it is magical combustion or something. It's probably what it's not actually called but for my own simple mortal mind I'm just going to call it that. You can control my actions in only one way currently and that's by freezing my movement for protection reasons. However, any demon could do this, but you didn't clarify what. You said you could stop me in cases of me being in harm's way, but what about other demons? Can they only stop my movement?"

She picked at her nails a bit, even short as they were, "I don't see how fully draining anyone would preserve their life, but this is all new to me anyway. However, if you say it's almost like a path of mutual destruction, meaning you'd be affected negatively as well if you tried, then it's something that would at least have consequences. I know saying it like that sounds a bit mean, but this whole thing pretty much feels like I'd be made very vulnerable and that feeling really, really bothers me."

Kyle was, actually impressed as rather than leap to the worst possible assumptions, Esme took her time to consider the answers he was providing her. Her following questions and statements made it plain that she was doing her best to understand and not 'freak out', and Kyle resolved to redouble his efforts to put things into fashions that she could understand.

"If 'magical combustion' works for you, it will work for me," Kyle said, chuckling faintly. He quickly sobered though, and when he continued speaking, his voice was serious. "I can only influence you to prevent you from harming yourself. Someone else from my world, especially someone strong enough to cross over unaided, could do far more, since they are not bound to you by a Pact. There are those on my world who could use you as though you were a puppet for their play-time. That is why I so desperately wish to teach you to defend yourself, and to protect your thoughts. I can do a fair amount of what every House can do. Those born into their Houses can do things that I can only imagine in my worst nightmares. It is the actions of ones such as they that have given rise to your legends and cautionary tales of 'demons'. They could put you into harms way, seduce your mind and body, and while they could not force you to cast a spell on their behalf, they could make you want to do anything to make them happy, including casting for them."

Kyle shook his head, and it was obvious that he was, embarrassed to be of the same race as beings who could so callously use another.

"Many of my people are not kind, but indifferent," he said bitterly. "But some deserve the title of 'Demon' in the fullest sense of the word. And those are the ones who formed your legends, and fears. I pray to all of the good gods and goddesses that you never meet any of them, but I want to make you as ready as possible should worst fall to worst."

Kyle shook off his mood with a visible effort, them looked Esme straight in the eye.

"I am not one such," he said, his voice carrying conviction. "Now then, as to the draining. Let me think... Ah, let us try this. You are a cup, ever filling with magic. If I were to drain the cup completely, even turning it upside down to remove every last drop, the cup is still a cup. Turn it up, and it begins to fill once more. Only if I were to poke a hole into the bottom of the cup would it stop filling. The act of poking a hole in the bottom would be akin to 'burning you out', making it impossible for your magic cup to refill. That might very well allow your life to flow away as well, which is why it is to be avoided. But, if there is a fire, and I must empty both of our 'cups' to put out the fire, wouldn't that be alright? The only reason I cannot promise to 'empty' my cup first is that I require some magic to use magic. If I empty my cup first, yours may very well fill to overflowing before mine is full enough for me to resume control. As for vulnerable, that is up to you. You may be as specific as you wish in limiting me, but if you do so, and a situation arises you did not foresee, I would be unable to respond until you gave me leave to do so. Should you be unconscious... well, I would still take action, but there would be consequences for me. Hopefully not too dire."

Fable Fable
(Oh, I noticed your little level up there Ms. Red Panda. Congrats, and may the workload never be more than you can bear.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Thanks, busy busy~ )

She listened as Kyle elaborated more on their discussion, trying to push back her anxiousness though being told a demon could fuck with her greatly wasn't exactly the best thing anyone would want to hear. She had kind of hoped for some kind of demon-magic-influence-immunity being half-demon and all. Guess there wasn't a perk like that to even begin to make up for being this weird hybrid thing that she was.

"Well, seeing as demons are rare and can't be brought over here unless summoned, or in some cases made clear by Ardyr'e - banished - maybe we'll just never... bump into another one?" Esme was uncertain about that line of hope. If there were witch covens after her, couldn't they perhaps summon a demon? Ugh. She sighed to herself as this complicated story and all the possibly risks just seemed near infinite. She had tried to be optimistic and then her mind had to remind her of the what-ifs.

"I'd probably.. restrict it just because otherwise I'd be a 24/7 ball of anxious turmoil with buyer's remorse or something. I mean, if it was your choice, what terms would you suggest? Mine would be fairly simple; only take what's needed to prevent a magical combustion and prevent me from causing harm to myself or others that mean me no harm. Though harm is subjective, y'know? I trust in you enough to at least be able to not abuse the subjective manner due to harm depending on perspective."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back