• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lore
Here
Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Lol, that last line sounds like a prayer X3 )

Esme wasn't sure where to begin or really what the explain or how to. She had already mentally chastised herself for being too sensitive and so temperamental that she'd lashed out automatically, with a small desire to make him feel as upset as she was. She had managed to let Kyle speak, and now she honestly felt even worse for her behavior. She toyed with some of the details of her dressed, never really being about to sit completely still when something was bothering her.

"I told you about what happened, in regards to my ex-boyfriend," she finally began after a long silence after Kyle had spoken. "It was like you were saying I was like him, using you for my own sick amusement. Asking if you were my 'boy toy' made me feel pretty shitty, like a hard slap to the face kind of insult that I ever treat anyone like he did. So, I was furious and hurt, and perhaps just instinctively vindictive. I mean, Kyle, do you really think I was going to try and barter you off to some spoiled rich woman? Is that the type of person I am to you, to do such a thing? As much as you've mentioned that I should try to believe you wouldn't harm me, you seem to have the same issue regarding me as well, if you actually think I was even seriously considering doing that. I mean, for fucks sake, I even warned you to not accept Liz's farce of a favor that would have resulted in you being auctioned off to spend and evening with one of those women. Yes, I said sex wasn't part of that deal, but that doesn't mean they don't ever get drunk enough to forget that and try."

She was getting heated again, her voice rose slightly, her body tensed, and she had given up toying with her dress to just grip her hands together in her lap. Esme inhaled slowly and tried to calm herself down before she really got worked up to a point of no return. "You made me feel like a callous bitch. I know that's my own personal problem, flaring up as usual making me lash out. As much as you say you'll accept my faults, I don't really expect you to. I know I am a mess of a person. I already accept you for who and what you are already, but... with how often we just frustrate each other, there is going to be a point that you're going to be tired of it."

"Esme!" Kyle said, his voice a strange combination of compassionate and firm. "Stop. I made myself examine my feelings and consider your words to see if there was any malice behind them, I now ask you to do the same. I said the joke reminded me of a situation back home, but I quickly realized that was not happening here. I never said I thought you were intending to do the same. As for boy toy, I asked if I were your boy toy, not theirs. Nothing in the definition in my head for boy toy suggests anything but a chosen relationship, on both parts. I'm sorry my choice of words brought up a bad association, but it never crossed my mind that you would ever, damn... this language sucks! Let me think."

Kyle stopped talking for a moment, his mind churning with modern words and concepts. Esme, praise the Goddess, seemed to be thinking herself, which gave him time to find the right words. They were ugly, those words, and he was afraid to say them, but he had sworn honesty, and he would give it.

"Esme," he said, very, very gently. "Forgive these words, but they are the only ones that fully describe what happened to you. On my world, despite you going willingly to his bed, that creature who damaged you would be called a rapist. The crime is the same, whether violence or subterfuge is used. I would end my life before knowingly equating you with such a creature, one who uses others as objects. That you even think I could do so speaks volumes of the damage done, and it is only your wish that I do nothing that keeps that vile excresence masquerading as a man alive."

Kyle felt his ears flatten, and a grey haze marred his vision. He fought for control, pulling himself back from the brink of a Change. Styling his thoughts, he took a cleansing breath and spoke once more.

"You may be correct," he said calmly. "The day may come when you say the unforgivable. The day may come when I do the same. You say you don't expect me to accept your faults. That is your right. It is also my right to accept as many of them as I care to. If you come close to my limit, I will tell you. That is all I can do. It will be up to you whether or not to cross that line should we come to it. All I ask, of both of us, is that we try. It is not within our power to compel success, only to make the attempt. Succeed or fail, I swear only to try my best. That is all I can ask. Can you ask the same of yourself?"

Fable Fable fyuri
(Nope, NOT giving up. They may fail, but not for lack of trying. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( They shall keep trying X3 )

Esme squirmed a bit when Kyle said her voice followed by telling her to stop. She resisted the urge to nibble on her lower lip out of anxiousness since it would ruin the lipstick Liz had put on her and also smudge lipstick most likely all over her teeth. Honestly, having to consider these things was tiresome and distracting. He paused for a moment, saying he needed to choose the right words, along with the language 'sucking.' She wasn't going to argue against that observation. The modern English language indeed 'sucked.' He also clearly needed to be given access to a modern slang dictionary, or she just needed to explain that boy toy, while usually consensual, didn't mean that the 'toy' didn't ever get offered up in certain scenarios.

He went on to explain how the events of her past were viewed in his world, which seem contradiction since it seemed common, based on what he had said earlier, for them to use each other for favors. To her, there wasn't any difference, being used and being used. Esme didn't notice the subtle changes of Kyle fighting for control over his form, she was too focused on not looking directly at him right now, instead just staring down at her hands in her lap.

"At least you're not a die-hard optimist," she replied. He understood what she meant there at least, that perhaps this was a problem that simply wouldn't ever be resolved. Had he pressed that it wasn't a possible outcome, she probably would have just thrown her arms up in the air and told him to be realistic. "I just don't even know what all your limits are. It's like fumbling around in a dark room trying to find the right light switch that works. I could say the most mundane thing, and to you it might be the most grave insult. I have been trying, but I'm an obviously seriously failing tonight. I don't want to fuck up so badly that you hate me, but at the rate I am going..."

She trailed off, never finished the sentence. "I just don't know where to go from here. I feel like I've already ruined the evening."

Kyle smiled gently at Esme. They weren't dead, they had taken, in his opinion, a step forward in understanding their tempestuous relationship. Things might not work out in the future, but that was then, this was now.

"No," he said quietly. "We have had a disagreement. We have worked through it, and have a plan to carry us forward. That gladdens my heart."

Kyle rose, then bowed to Esme, his face open, displaying eagerness.

"I propose that we agree that we have had the evenings unpleasantness," he said as he straightened from his bow. "Let us set aside things that might bother us, and restart our evening."

Kyle let a flash of mischief cross his face, and he grinned wickedly.

"Image how crazy we can make Liz if we return to the table smiling, and refuse to say anything about what just happened?" he asked. "And besides, we spent so long working on our dancing, I really, really want to see her jaw drop at the results. Let's go stun some people."

Fable Fable fyu
(Demon wants them to have a good time, despite the universe smacking them down. )

Last edited:
Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Must try and let Esme have fun >_O )

Esme glanced up at Kyle when he stood and then bowed, clearly moved past the earlier events with such ease that Esme felt a bit envious. As much as Esme was still worried she'd say something that could be taken badly, she tried to suppress her anxiousness. She wasn't sure why Kyle suddenly had a devious grin, at least until he suggested they annoy Liz by keeping her out of the loop over what had happened between them. The fact that Liz wasn't hounding them right now was a major relief really. As much as Esme adored Liz, she sometimes had a bad habit of inserting herself into situations - with good intentions - that just made things worse.

"You've learned one of Liz's major weaknesses; having information withheld," Esme said with a smile she couldn't hold back. "As much as I should say no to your plan, I'd find it a bit entertaining to teach Liz a small lesson about being too nosy. As far as the dancing goes, not sure if her jaw would drop, or if she's just weep like a proud mother or something. Should be amusing with either reaction though."

Esme cleared her throat and moved to stand up before offering her hand for Kyle to take, "Firstly, food. I'm sure it's at the table by now." Once he took her hand, she made her way through the auction items and back into the main area, returning to their table where Liz gave her a questioning look. "What happened?" Liz asked the moment Esme was seated, her food had already been set down on the table as well as Kyle's. "Nothing," Esme replied before taking a sip of the water glass that had been brought with her meal. Liz frowned at Esme's reply, causing Esme to smile at her friend silently. The message to Liz was clear, Esme wasn't going to share any information right now.

Everyone else had already begun to eat their food, so Esme did so as well, enjoying the food that would have probably cost her an entire week's worth of her food budget. Honestly, the food alone would have been a better choice for Liz to try and bribe Esme to come to the gala. While the bar wasn't free, she'd still end up setting up a tab most likely and end up regretting that choice later on. "Oh Liz, lighten up a bit.
I swear, you've picked up Esme's brooding habit," Luke joked.

Kyle couldn't keep the smile off his face as Esme rose and took his hand. He hurriedly gestured with his free hand, dispelling and absorbing the shield of anonymity before Esme could get close to it. He could see the questions burning behind Liz's eyes as he and Esme returned to the table, hand in hand. Kyle seated Esme and took his own seat, gratified to see that their food hadn't been there long enough to cool. Esme deflected Liz's questions with a simple 'nothing' before applying herself to her food. Kyle gave Liz a bland smile as he sampled his own dinner. It was very different from the usual fare they subsisted on at the apartment, and quite well prepared.

"Oh Liz, lighten up a bit. I swear, you've picked up Esme's brooding habit," Lukes said after Liz's curiosity peaked and turned into a mild pout. Liz colored lightly, turning her attention to her own dinner.

Luke turned his attention to Kyle, quizzing him about his work. Kyle answered his questions easily, while adroitly dodging the subtle queries into his past that Luke slipped in between discussions about forge welding and critical temperatures. Finally, the information overload blunted Luke's curiosity, and they were able to turn the conversation to more mundane topics, like the various items on auction and the skill of the band hired for the evening. .

"While I am enjoying the meal, and the music immensely," Kyle said. "I doubt that a man of my meager means has the ability to contribute meaningfully to this evening. Well, except for accompanying the most radiant Lady Periwinkle, that is."

Liz looked confused as Kyle used the 'Periwinkle' title again, and he winked at Esme. That part of the story they would be able to share. In fact, he was fairly certain Esme already had, though he doubted she had mentioned Lord Amber and Lady Periwinkle in the telling. He decided to take a little pity on Liz, who was starting to look decidedly out of sorts herself.

"The Houses Periwinkle and Amber fought at the Battle of Fort Pillow," he said with a chuckle. "Where the forces of Periwinkle did most soundly defeat the forces of Amber through the use of tactics most, unconventional."

Fable Fable
(Got to throw Liz a bone before she has a conniption.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( The battle rages on! )

Esme had been unable to keep herself from laughing at Luke's comment about her brooding infecting Liz. She wasn't going to act like she didn't brood at times, but it was amusing to see Liz's expression. Before Liz was able to retort, Luke changed the subject to try and get as much information out of Kyle as possible. Kyle smoothly managed to avoid sharing anything important and after 'talking shop' on what he did, Luke eventually spaced out before deciding to change the subject to something of more interest. He eventually made a point to say he didn't have the ' ability to contribute meaningfully to this evening' as well as her very silly act as 'Lady Periwinkle.' She nearly choked on her food as he mentioned their pillow fight and how most of the table's attention was on them right now.

"It sounds very dramatic and entertaining," Luke said with clear amusement, "It would explain the choice in dress color." The color itself seemed more like an icy blue to Esme, so she hadn't really considered the color. Periwinkle was a hard color to truly identify because it could be more blue or more purple. "It's not exactly the correct color, but it definitely fits this Lady Periwinkle persona I imagine," he continued. "I have to inquire what tactics Lady Periwinkle used to defeat you though."

At that Esme cleared her throat and spoke, "Not anything you're thinking of, I can promise you that. I just had an arsenal at my disposal and had the home advantage." The conversation was interrupted by someone announcing they would be soon announcing awards, but that they could continue to eat and to not rush as they didn't want anyone to choke on their lovely meal. Esme was mostly done with her meal by this time anyway. The waiter assigned to their table came to collect plates and glasses to take them away and clear room on the table, also asking if anyone needed any drinks or refills. As the droning chatter and clattering noise of dinnerware was being removed from other tables, she glanced over at Kyle. "We actually never finished the battle I believe," she commented before taking a sip of her water. "I had tried to knock your feet out from under you and you ended up suggesting dancing why grappling me. So, if anything, tonight would probably be a continuation of that battle if we do end up dancing, though how we would determine the winner would be difficult."

"It is quite true that the advantage was hers," Kyle said ruefully. "And I committed the error of attacking an enemy in an entrenched position with superior firepower."

Both Luke and Liz chuckled at his admission, but before they could ask anything more, there was an announcement concerning upcoming awards which seemed to turn everyone's attention to finishing their meals. Like Esme, Kyle was mostly done with his meal, snagging a particularly large morsel that he had somehow missed before the efficient waiter removed the dishes to return with fresh drinks all around. During the process, Esme took advantage of the increased noise level to speak to Kyle.

"We actually never finished the battle I believe," she commented before taking a sip of her water. "I had tried to knock your feet out from under you and you ended up suggesting dancing why grappling me. So, if anything, tonight would probably be a continuation of that battle if we do end up dancing, though how we would determine the winner would be difficult."

"I would be willing to declare you the victor if it would increase your enjoyment of the evening," Kyle said, smiling at the pleasant portion of the memory, and resolutely ignoring the awkwardness that had come just moments after. "Though in truth I believe that we are both winners. I, in that we have weathered that which has made the evening interesting, and I look forward to at least one dance with you. You, in that you have made progress throughout our lessons that is nothing short of amazing."

Kyle couldn't help but smile warmly at Esme as he made his last statement. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw one of Luke's eyebrows go up, despite the fact that there was no way he could have heard their words. Maybe he was reading Kyle's expression? Kyle didn't know, he just hoped that whatever had just happened didn't cause problems or embarrassment later.

"I am a bit curious," he said after a moment. "What are these awards that are to be presented? And, they mentioned some kind of 'best costume' award? What do they intend to do there? Parade everyone in attendance about? I rather doubt that would go well."

Kyle cut his gaze to a nearby table where a middle aged couple were obviously well on their way to intoxication.

"I doubt that would go well at all."

Fable Fable
(Demon thinks they are both winners, but if one must be declared, Esme shall win by default.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(There can only be one winner! X3 )

Esme quirked a brow at Kyle's offer to declare her the victor of their pillow fight, if it would improve her enjoyment. She would rather prefer this friendly and fake war between their alter personas, just because it was amusing to see how it would ultimately play out. He complimented her progress in regards to her dance lessons with him, which even she had been amazed by if she had to be honest. Though she imagined if she attempted to dance with someone else, she'd probably completely botch the effort since she'd pretty much matched her movements to his as best as she could, and she was fairly certain he made sure her mistakes were easily covered when she committed them.

"The Lady Periwinkle refuses to accept a weak surrender or to not have a true winner," she joked in regards to their little game. "As far as the awards, not too sure. It's been a while since I went to the first one and I think the awards are for philanthropic achievements and whatnot. There actually weren't that many given out if I can recall. As for the best costumes," she said, "Pretty much there is a box where people can write a vote for whoever they feel has the best costume. Most of the people here know each other's names. They'll announce those winners and... not quite sure what they'll do. Honestly, the winners will probably just walk up on stage for some silly trophy or ribbon. Half of the entertainment comes from when people are drunk anyway."

Just as she finished, the man who had been announcing for most of the evening returned to the stage and stated awards were starting and joked for everyone to calm down. Esme wasn't really interested in this at all, or really... most of the things that was planned for the gala. "As far as us dancing, there is probably already a queue of girls waiting to dance with you," she whispered to Kyle with a smirk. "Besides, you've already technically danced with me plenty of times on the roof while you were teaching me. Unless dancing doesn't really count unless they're dressed up." She was obviously teasing Kyle. "I have an idea, how about a challenge. For each riddle you answer, I'll dance with you. What can you hear but not touch or see and yet control?"

It was a silly game with a purpose, to give her an excuse to actually dance with Kyle, as odd as that idea seemed she felt like it was a way to answer the 'why' with a truth... but the wrong truth. She wasn't going to admit she actually wanted to dance with him. the game also was to kill time while the awards were being given out, something for them both to be distracted with. "What gets broken without being held?," she said for another riddle, and then followed with a third one, "If you have me, you want to share me. If you share me, you haven't got me. What am I? So, three riddles to solve for three dances."

Kyle chuckled as Esme basically declared their little 'war' would continue. He was rather enjoying it, and it seemed she was as well.

"Then let the night's truce be enjoyed by all, for upon the morrow do the Houses Periwinkle and Amber yet stand in contention," Kyle intoned with as straight a face as one could have while grinning ear to ear. Esme went on to explain about the 'awards' and costume contest. Kyle did have to agree that once folk were well and truly into their cups, their truer natures did emerge, often with amusing results. The gentleman at the podium was speaking again, but Esme seemed to have little interest in his words, instead continuing to speak softly to Kyle.

"As far as us dancing, there is probably already a queue of girls waiting to dance with you," she whispered to Kyle with a smirk. "Besides, you've already technically danced with me plenty of times on the roof while you were teaching me. Unless dancing doesn't really count unless they're dressed up. I have an idea, how about a challenge. For each riddle you answer, I'll dance with you. What can you hear but not touch or see and yet control? What gets broken without being held?," she said for another riddle, and then followed with a third one, "If you have me, you want to share me. If you share me, you haven't got me. What am I? So, three riddles to solve for three dances."

Kyle raised one eyebrow eloquently as he considered her words.

"I am at a disadvantage I think," he said after a moment. "Language and all, but I shall assay your puzzles."

Kyle sat quietly for several minutes, then his eyes lit and he leaned over to whisper his reply to Esme.

"The last two have the same answer I would wager," he said. "It would seem that a confidence would answer both. What... ah, secret is the word I think, yes? As to the first question, all that comes to mind is my words. I hear and control them, yet cannot observe them."

As he waited for Esme's reply, Kyle decided to launch a small salvo of his own.

"If the poorest have me, the richest want me, and all who eat me die, what am I?"

Fable Fable fyu

(Stump the demon? )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( She thought they were fairly easy, but then again, miscommunication. X3 )

Esme hadn't considered Kyle may have had been at a disadvantage. Sure, this wasn't he natural speech, but she thought she had given some fairly easy riddles, but then again, they came from completely different cultures. She also thought he would have been interested in riddles, given the sometimes confusing way he could speak at times. She silently watched him as he thought about the riddles she'd requested he solve. He only got one of the three correct.

"What can you hear but not touch or see and yet control, the answer is your voice. What gets broken without being held is a promise. And the last one was a secret," Esme would give him the one win. "So Lord Amber, you've only earned once dance. And yours is actually fairly easy, the answer is nothing." There was a bit of applaud occurring as someone approached the stage to claim their award. Esme hadn't been paying attention, so she hadn't a clue what the award was for or who the person was. She was more interest in their little game, though perhaps she needed to stop using riddles if Kyle was going to have issues answering them.

"I'll give you one more riddle to solve, then maybe I should change it to a more fair challenge. I can start a war or end one, I can give you the strength of heroes or leave you powerless, I might be snared with a glance, but no force can compel me to stay; What am I?" Esme smirked at Kyle, fairly confident he would struggle a bit with this one before managing to figure it out. "I'll even up the stakes and say should you get this riddle correct, you may ask one thing of me this evening. You only have until the end of the gala to get the correct answer, so you better think carefully."

Kyle frowned as Esme declared only one of his guesses correct.

"I would have thought that my words would be adequate," he said, his brow furrowed. "But if the spoken word and voice are not considered one and the same, then I misdoubt my ability to compete in this battle. I find more and more my understanding of modern conventions of speech to be, inadequate. As for the other, I must accede to your judgement. Please keep this in mind, I do not come from your background, and my people do not esteem the same traits as you do. If your riddles require me to understand your meanings, I am doomed ere I begin. The words I know, the context I do not. What may seem obvious to you may not occur to me because of my upbringing."

Kyle carefully managed to keep his dismay from showing on his face, though the tips of his ears drooped slightly. A single dance for the entire evening? If that was to be his lot, then he would accept what was offered, and do his best to see that Esme enjoyed her evening. He wasn't certain how his next question should be translated though.

"I shall think upon your problem," he said, his voice doubtful. "This one I cannot translate to modern speech, so you must hear it as I did. I am not as the stone, I am not as the stream, nor as the wind. I am not as the beasts, nor the trees. I live not, yet eat and breathe. I course upwards in a rush, yet creep down at a crawl. What am I?"

Kyle shrugged after he finished, looking slightly apologetic and mildly frustrated.

"Best I can come up with I'm afraid."

Fable Fable
(Esme just had to ask the one riddle he is completely unable to answer, culturally and experientially, and offer the most valuable prize possible to boot. This is going to be a long, painful evening for Kyle, isn't it? )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Esme gotta drive him bonkers with the riddle. huehue. )

Kyle seemed confused by the answers to the riddles she had posed. And based upon he continued words, she really would need to consider a different game, but she couldn't think what would possibly work. They couldn't exactly play card games here and she'd have an unfair advantage. However, he still tried to continue the game, again giving her a riddle of his own, but phrasing it the original way he had heard it. She pondered on it for a long moment, another round of applause happening as the person who accepted the award finished their speech. "Hmm, I'm probably going to get this one wrong, but I'll say the answer is fire," she finally said, not expecting to be correct in the slightest.

"Also, we can try a different game that doesn't focus on words perhaps. I mean, there is always trying to guess what number a person is thinking. Or maybe we could play rock, paper, scissors, if you don't mind getting strange looks. Rock, paper, scissors would probably be the more fair between the two. Basically, the game uses your hand to represent either a rock, paper, or scissor. Paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beat paper," she explained. She changed her hand to show how each of the three options were shown.

They didn't really have too much time left to kill for these little games before the awards would be finished. There hadn't been many mentioned in the short moments where she had been paying attention. "Let's just go with that game," she stated, explaining then that on three, they would reveal their choice. Esme closed her hand into a fist and did the silly chant that came with the game, deciding to very predictably go with 'rock.'

"You are, of course, correct." Kyle replied. "Save for things that would depend on you having knowledge of my, point of origin, I have nothing more to offer in this venue. I shall continue to consider your question, but I fear that prize is far beyond my reach."

Esme seemed to consider this for a moment, then decided, apparently, that something new was in order.

"Also, we can try a different game that doesn't focus on words perhaps. I mean, there is always trying to guess what number a person is thinking. Or maybe we could play rock, paper, scissors, if you don't mind getting strange looks. Rock, paper, scissors would probably be the more fair between the two. Basically, the game uses your hand to represent either a rock, paper, or scissor. Paper beats rock, rock beats scissors, and scissors beat paper," she explained. She changed her hand to show how each of the three options were shown.

There was a smattering of applause as the current speaker wrapped up his remarks. It did seem a trifle discourteous to be ignoring the speakers, but he truly knew nothing about this event and what the awards actually meant, so best to play along. As Esme recited some nonsense, she trapped her hand on her other palm, Kyle following suit. At the third tap, Kyle opened his hand, leaving it flat, woke Esme kept hers balled into a fist.

"Paper somehow conquers rock?" Kyle asked, one eyebrow raised. "This is most peculiar, but I can see that it will progress quickly."

Fable Fable fyu
(Demon sorta gets it, not. And as for the riddle, it's a good thing Liz didn't hear it. She was privy to Kyle's breakdown, so she might realize that he'll never get it right. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Liz probably won't get the riddle herself, at least not until she cheats. X3 Gonna write a bit for him, lemme know if you want me to change it. )

Esme beamed with victory when Kyle said she had been correct in her answer to his riddle. She had doubted it was right, but she'd connected it with a theme dealing with elements, and only fire hadn't been mentioned. Combined with the other clues of the riddle and she stuck on that answer without being able to think of any other possible solutions. He also seemed interested enough in her explanation of the rock, paper, scissors game.

She wasn't shocked at all at the first round where he had beat her by using paper. "Yes, paper beat rock. The idea is paper covers rock, rock breaks scissors, and scissors cut paper," she informed him. It wasn't something that was a serious natural law, it was just the rules of the game. "Let's go again, so that is two dance for you thus far." She balled up her hand into a fist once again and went through the motions once more, this time changing to scissors. Again, Kyle beat her, changing his hand to represent rock this round.

There were a few more rounds that they played, a total of ten since after a while they really were starting to attract attention even though they were doing their best to be quiet. Liz and Luke both asked them what they were doing that had finally made Esme suggest to Kyle that perhaps they needed to stop for the time being. The end result was seven wins for Kyle and three for Esme. So, now Esme owed Kyle eight dances, which she wasn't even sure she had the stamina for that.

"I should thank Liz for the interruption, otherwise I'd probably end up owing you way more dances that even physically possible for me," she joked. She glanced at the stage where another person was giving a speech about their award. It was something about organizing and setting up a system for at-risk youths. She politely clapped at the end and the next and apparently final award was going to be announced. "Seems your skilled at rock, paper, scissors. I should have stuck with riddles," she laughed.

Esme appeared pleased that she had managed to correctly answer his riddle, though her luck with their newest game appeared not to be as good as their other endeavors. Unfortunately, the answer to her riddle still eluded Kyle, which caused him a slight degree of discomfort. Their latest game seemed to attract enough attention to make Esme uncomfortable after a bit, though Kyle was far from displeased with the final results. He wasn't altogether certain, but the idea that Esme may actually have gone out of her way to be predictable flashed through his mind as the number of dances went from a single encounter to eight. She had not reclaimed any for his losses either, which he found far more telling, and somehow warmed him inside.

"I would rather that we both enjoy ourselves," Kyle said with a smile. "I do not believe that we should turn this evening into, hmm, an 'endurance challenge'?"

Esme smiled and nodded slightly, indicating that he had gotten the words correct this time, even as she politely applauded the speaker leaving the podium.

"Seems you're skilled at rock, paper, scissors. I should have stuck with riddles," she laughed.

"Please," Kyle chuckled. "Let me enjoy my victory, fleeting though it may be. I still have your final riddle hanging over me, and I misdoubt my ability to solve it, though I shall continue to think upon it. In the meantime, one wonders how many of these 'awards' they give out. I have managed to hear just enough to decide that much of the work they represent seems well founded, though nothing that would be considered, where I'm from."

He had nearly said 'on my world' which would undoubtedly have given Luke 'furiously to think'. Best not to give the young man anything else to find fascinating about the stranger in Liz's and Esme's lives.

"Is this the way these thing usually go?" he asked Liz quietly. "Should these awards go on overlong, I would think that the guests would become too inebriated to enjoy the music and dancing. Indeed, I rather fear for a few attendees already."

Kyle nodded to the next table over, where the middle aged couple he had seen earlier were now leaning heavily on the table, their eyes starting to take on a slightly vacant appearance.

"One hopes that arrangements have been made for those who, over-indulge themselves to be seen safely home, or at least to a place where they can 'sleep it off'."

Fable Fable
(Happy happy demon. There's no way Esme would ever have thrown any of those by being, predictable, is there?)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(She was only predictable with the first round, after that she was just not trying or focusing very hard on winning.)

"I didn't think such a riddle would be that hard, if that is the case..." she paused, considering if she should actually offer this, "I'll extend the deadline. I'll give you two weeks to figure out the riddle. If you answer correctly within that time, you'll have my favor. However, there is a new rule, you can only offer one answer." She grinned at him in a challenging manner, clearly enjoying having him not be an expert at something. Over 4,000 years of age and he wasn't able to easily decipher riddles from this realm, and while it perhaps was unfair, he could possibly learn about the world a bit more this way.

"Awards are something fairly common. It's a way people are thanked for various things. There are also awards given out for other things as well, but this would be a subject better left to Dr. Google," she laughed. "The only thing that perhaps might even be comparable to where your from, would perhaps be things like a medal? Not sure if that even is a thing there, but it's the only idea that comes to mind to compare it to. An award is something to represent an achievement or some kind."

When he had mentioned the less than sober couple at another table and his concern about being too inebriated to enjoy the evening, she struggled to keep herself from laughing too loudly. "Kyle, they are having a perfectly enjoyable evening. While your concern is admirable, they are going to be perfectly fine except for two things; making a possible ass out of themselves and waking up with a horrible hangover in the morning. I'm sure there will be an army of taxis waiting to take home those who are unable to drive. If you look closely at the bar," she said, pointing to a man ordering a drink and giving the bartender his keys, "If they look too drunk, the bartenders ask for their keys to keep them from driving. Sometimes there is a fuss, but if you look over there." She paused and pointed to a man standing in a corner looking rather stiff, "There are cops here. Laws require any private parties serving alcohol to have police stand around and make sure no one drinks and drives, or get rowdy."

"That makes good hearing," Kyle said. "I suppose that having done this enough, the small details have been well taken care of. I shall avoid inebriation and be certain to see you home safely. I wonder if Liz will require assistance?"

While they had been discussing the arrangements for the less than sober party goers, the awards appeared to have entered their final phase. Kyle really had no idea what most of them had been about, but they all seemed to involve assisting those in need. While on his world, the only help one received was what one created for oneself, here there was altruism. He wasn't certain which way was better, but the humans seemed to do well enough.

"I think that is the last one," Kyle said as the announcer finished his remarks. "What comes next?"

Fable Fable
(Sorry it's short, but I don't know the pacing for the gala. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Gonna be short, kinda having writer's block and distractions.)

"Yeah, they've probably learned over the years how to deal with most situations. I'm not sure how many years this has been going on, but based on what I've heard from Liz, well over a decade at least." She took a few sips of her drink, leaving the glass empty except for the ice that had yet to melt. Kyle was correct in his statement that the last award had been given out. It was followed by the announcer encouraging everyone to enjoy the evening, dance, and browse the items up for the silent auction.

"The man has spoken," Esme joked, "We are to enjoy the evening since I sure as hell don't have the fund to bid on anything up for auction." The music picked up then, the band playing modern music on classical instruments. Liz had recorded one gala where they had a band called Postmodern Jukebox play for the evening, taking modern songs and putting them into an interesting jazz style. A few people wandered onto the designated dance floor to dance to the music.

"So, eight dances," she said to herself, more than the Kyle. Liz tugged on Luke's arm and dragged him to the dance floor, "Save me." Luke laughed after he said it and got a harsh tug on his arm from Liz, excusing them both from those at the table. "Those two are so strange at times," Esme mumbled.

"So, eight dances," Esme said, more to herself than to Kyle as Liz practically dragged Luke towards the dance floor.

Luke managed to get out a "Save me." before Liz tugged him firmly away. Despite his protests, Luke was laughing as they headed towards the mostly empty dance floor.

"Those two are so strange at times," Esme mumbled.

"I rather find myself in agreement with you," Kyle said, amusement in his voice as he stood and presented a hand to Esme. "And do not fear that I shall claim all at once. I misdoubt that either of us should enjoy such a marathon, and this evening deserves enjoying. Let us then assay a single turn about the floor, and then see where the evening takes us."

Esme narrowed her eyes slightly at Kyle, then slowly took his hand. He wasn't sure whether or not it was his speech, which had unfortunately reverted a bit, or something else. As her steps seemed a little, reluctant, Kyle realized that it was most likely a combination of both. All of their practice had been on a rooftop, far away from any prying eyes. Now, there were eyes aplenty, and Esme seemed to be feeling nervous. Out of the corner of his eye he spotted Liz and Luke on the dance floor, but when Liz saw Kyle and Esme making their slow way towards the floor, Liz's eyes took on a mischievous gleam. She broke away from Luke for a moment to speak with the person leading the band, then returned to Luke, keeping one eye on Esme and Kyle as they approached.

"Esme," Kyle said gently as Esme seemed about to bolt. "It's just like our roof. While we dance, you are the center of my world and I should be the center of yours. Forget those about us, and just enjoy the moment. I assuredly shall."

For a moment Kyle thought Esme might lose her nerve, but then her grip on his hand firmed, her eyes taking on a determined look. She nodded to him, giving a smile that might have been a little strained around the edges, then allowed him to lead her onto the floor. Just as they settled into their dancing position, the music changed, becoming a fluid run of notes. Esme's head snapped up sharply, obviously she knew the piece. A tiny giggle from their left drew both their gazes to Liz, who was covering her mouth with one hand. She winked at them, then returned her attention ostensibly to Luke. Kyle thought he heard a growl from Esme, and he returned his attention to her to find her expression a mix of irritation and amusement.

"Do I wish to know?" he asked, gently guiding their steps, keeping them away from the other couples that were beginning to populate the dance floor.

"Liz seems to be paying us back for keeping her in the dark," Esme said, irritation and laughter warring in her voice. Laughter finally won out, and when she continued to speak, there was a bright undertone to her voice. "This particular piece of music is from a movie about an unusual couple. I'll see if I can find it for you to watch online, but the title is 'Beauty and the Beast'. This piece has the same title, and Liz has a bit of a twisted sense of humor."

Kyle laughed, something about the title fitting the situation.

"Well, I can certainly be a beast when the situation calls for it," he said. "And you fill the role of beauty admirably, so let us give Liz, 'furiously to think'."

Before Esme could freeze up from his compliment, Kyle smiled at her and swirled them into the steps of a Celebration Dance. It was a simple, happy dance that the commons on his world used to celebrate the turning of the seasons, and he had taught Esme all the steps and moves required. He kept his attention centered on Esme, paying just enough attention to the other dancers around them to keep them clear as they moved about the floor. It was glorious, and he abandoned himself fully to Esme's presence and the dance, only returning to the here and now as the music drew to a gentle close. Stepping back, he bowed to Esme, who looked a little surprised at her performance, but pleased? At least he hoped she was pleased.

"Thank you for that," he said, his face alight. "You were wonderful."

Fable Fable
(Hope this is okay. I'm sorry if I took too much control, and can edit if needed. If it's okay as is, you can feel free to take control for the next one.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Let's try this again. Gonna do a bit of a timeskip since I don't think we wanna write for all 8 dances and can get to a new scene kinda. X3 )

Esme hadn't been allowed a moment to protest his compliment in his statement of her fitting the role of 'Beauty.' He expertly forced her mind to refocus back on the dancing as he moved to swirl them around. She pursed her lips slightly at the purposeful interruption of her thoughts, but managed to stay in step with Kyle and not trip over herself. Once it ended he stepped back to take a bow, causing her to look around a bit nervously as others curiously glanced at him. She took his hand and led him back to their table, taking a drink from her glass of water after she sat back down.

"Well, I had a good dance teacher," she finally commented. "Your habit for drama is flaring up again though, seems to be a chronic illness." This comment was meant to be a joke about Kyle's habit of... well... what she assumed were habits due to how he was raised and where he was from. "Unfortunately, I can't really think of a song to request to get a small bit of revenge on Liz," she smirked as she glanced over and Liz, who was chatting away with some guy, most likely intending to get him to sign up for the bachelor auction. "I think just keeping her out of the loop of the events from earlier it enough though."

Esme and Kyle rested for a few songs, watching Liz wander around and encouraging people to sign up for the bachelor auction. Kyle eventually managed to get Esme back on the dance floor, though she hadn't messed up their first dance, she was still somewhat anxious. Liz took a break every now and then and danced, though most likely she was dancing and trying to get the guy she was dancing with to volunteer for the auction. Five dances later and once the music had ended, the announcer for the evening informed everyone they would be starting the bachelor auction soon and for all those who signed up to make their way to the stage.

"I wonder how many Liz managed to convince," Esme said.

"I am not privy to that information," Kyle replied, watching men rise here and there. They all seemed to be of a type, youngish and handsome. "One wonders why this event is exclusively male."

Esme's face twisted slightly at his question, as though the idea was repugnant. Kyle raised a hand placatingly, then spoke quietly.

"The information you gave me about modern language has provided me with certain words and definitions that show similar activities involving female companionship in a highly negative light. I shall not repeat them in polite company, but I honestly do not understand the double standard. Why, when the understanding is that the only thing being offered is companionship in a civilized context, is it acceptable for males to offer up their time, but not females? I would think that your time and conversation would be equally as valuable as mine."

Kyle paused, evaluating Esme's expression and deciding to shelve the topic.

"I see that this is an uncomfortable topic, so I shall remain uninformed. Let us discuss other things."

Kyle noted Liz standing off to one side, eyeing him speculatively. He hoped that she thought things through before she did anything, rash.

"One hopes that Liz does not try to leverage our bargain to gain my participation in this event," Kyle said, his voice slightly worried. "I know you think I over-state things, but words carry intent, and spoken deals contain Power. Should she try to alter our spoken and agreed upon bargain, Liz may very well learn why I am so precise in my wording of certain things. The Power is very unforgiving of alterations. I rather fear that all my efforts in the creation of her necklace will be for naught, and the backlash may very well be, uncomfortable."

At Esme's sidelong glance, Kyle shook his head slightly.

"It is nothing I have control over," he said simply. "It is just the way things involving Power work. I am bound by the same rules, and can suffer the same effects were I to attempt to make a one-sided alteration to a bargain."

Fable Fable
(Let us hope Liz doesn't irritate the Powers that Be.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Got a post done, /shot )

Esme really didn't want to get into the conversation about why it was only men being auctioned off and not women. It was one of those conversations where there was no correct answer. He seemed to understand that when it came to women, it could be view very differently and negatively. Thankfully he caught on that this wasn't the best subject to discuss and swiftly suggested they talk on something else. She followed his gaze over to Liz who was eyeing him back.

"Why would she try to? I know you've already stated the reason why you're so specific before, but since your deal is already done, she couldn't go back and change it anyway, right? She agreed to it, so I wouldn't worry about her trying to change the terms."

The auction was fairly quick as there weren't that many men who signed up. That didn't mean the bids were small amounts though, they started out small and ended up in the thousands. One man in particular, the very last one, managed to rack up a total amount of $25,0000. Esme cringed somewhat at the insane amount of money. "Man, I wish someone would donate to the Esme Charity and pay off my school loans," she laughed with just only a small hint of bitterness. She knew the money was going to those who had a life way worse than her own. Sure, she was the daughter of a witch who had a painful seal on her back and accidentally summoned a demon... but she was able to go to college and pay for basic necessities.

With the auction over, the music returned and the dance floor once again was active with multiple pairs of people dancing together. Some others wandered into the room where the items for the silent auction were located, so there was a constant stream of music. Esme excused herself for a moment and went to the bar, coming back with two green drinks. She set down one glass in front of Kyle as she took a sip of her own from a black plastic straw before identifying the drink, "It's called a Midori Sour."

Kyle looked at the bright green drink dubiously, but took a cautious sip. Interesting. Sweet, like dinshana, but with an undercurrent of something tart. It was unlike anything he had sampled, and the drink didn't seem too strong. Kyle wasn't one to take liberties with strong drink though, so he instructed his body to ignore most of the alcohol. He hoped Esme didn't over indulge, but if she did, he would be there to hold her hair back.

"Thank you," he said. "That is a new flavor combination for me. I don't think it will become my favorite, but it makes for a good change of pace. Is this part of your repetoire as a bartender?"

Esme nodded, smiling slightly, then turned her attention to her drink. Kyle slowly sipped his own drink, watching the other people as they danced, drank, or conversed. After a few moments it occurred to Kyle that he wasn't really certain how long they had been here, nor how long the event was yet to proceed.

"I'm curious as to how the rest of the evening is to progress," he said as he finished his drink. "One presumes that a period of time will be given for people to turn in their bids, but I do not know how long after that occurs the evening continues. I certainly do not wish to forfeit our remaining dances, but neither do I wish to burden you unduly. So, how may I make the rest of the evening enjoyable for you?"

Fable Fable fyu
(Demon doesn't want to over tax Esme, but does still want to dance. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Hope you're feeling better. Got the stomach bug from SO myself >_> Had a rough day on and off. )

"It's one of the drinks I can make without having to reference a mixture sheet. Once you make them often enough, you tend to get them down," she answered before taking another sip. "It's one of the weaker drinks. It's still too early in the evening for me to even consider a stronger drink right now. I'm too used to late night drinking it seems." She adjusted in her seat, getting a bit more comfortable, planning to finish this drink before she left the table.

"I think the only thing left really is the winners for the costume thing and the winners for the auctions being announced. I'd be fine with not sticking around for those, just hearing the money people were bidding with for the bachelor auction was enough to make me cringe. Also, you really don't need to keep asking how you can make the evening enjoyable for me. As long as I don't injure myself, get horribly drunk, or do something stupid embarrassing it'll be fine for me. I have to ask though, what would make your evening enjoyable, seeing as you're the out of town guest. Galas... aren't really my thing. I'd rather escape and go bowling or something." She was joking about escaping, though she really would have preferred just bowling for a couple of hours than watching other people socialize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back