• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts - The Thirteenth Mystery - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Let's see how much I can answer before my family drags me away.
"Family?!" This can wait! It's Memorial Day weekend for gosh's sake! Hah! Pips! =)

1. Looks like the Grey Seer in the World Book 16 - Federation of Magic pg. 91 does receive "Speak and is literate in American (+20%)" and "Speaks one language of choice (+15%)" and I don't mind if you assume literacy there too.
Yeah, but Chan-Chan's not American - she's a dragon without Dragonese/Elven at Native Language proficiency! "Haalp!" =) (She's a Chinese dragon to boot too, but she's got Chinese language covered thanks to her martial art system!)

EDIT: Found the solution! Dragons & Gods book (received mine yesterday!) p. 23 "Hatchlings start with the language and basic math skills at 96% proficiency." Done! 8D

2. Per pg. 174 in Secrets of the Atlanteans:
"These specialized Power tattoos are typically reserved for Atlantean Tattooed Voyagers as they are best trained in how to utilize them to their fullest potential. Should a Dimension tattoo be placed on anyone other than an Atlantean Voyager, it costs 50% more P.P.E. and P.E. points to activate the tattoo. The only exception being Chiang-Ku dragons as they are the creators and masters of magic tattoos."
This looks like a valid choice therefore.
Hooray! Thank you!

2a. I'm trying and struggling to understand how one would chain-cast this tattoo.
And yet you come to the correct conclusion all without further details. You get it!

If you step through the passage, and if that passage isn't long enough to reach an 'other side', you can cast it again to get another 60 feet...and keep doing that until you run out of PPE or PE. Still not sure when/how that circumstance would ever arise but sure?
I am strongly of the opinion, "It's Rifts! You never know!" So I like to follow the Boy Scouts of America's motto, "Be prepared!" =)

3. 101 P.A. Specifically 9:01am on June 13th of 101 P.A.
Wow! Down to the minute! How cool is that?

4. Sure, I'm game for raising the level to 8th. Just bear in mind, that does mean Chan-Chan was stronger than these people in the Future That Was, and if they will have known her then, those memories may end up being at odds with this Chan Chan.

On the other hand, if we go with "Group didn't necessarily know each other as a group, and Chan Chan's hook is 'Oh temporal magic is flaring over here, I'd better see what's going on!' and thus the other PCs largely won't have known her in the future, no dissonance at all.

I'm game for whatever.
The second option sounds great to me! We not only avoid Esbilon's just concern of not feeling left out, but I can learn along with Chan-Chan instead of having to juggle two timelines. If this works for everyone else, then it works for me quite well. =)

Edit: As for asking for dice rolls for character advancement, I'll ask after Memorial Day holiday - you go and enjoy your family time, lady!
5. For milestone leveling, basically kind of like Exalted Essence does it. Given the party (now) ranges from 8th-10th level, PCs aren't necessarily getting a level every mission. The way I'm envisioning it, whenever you guys accomplish a significant goal, that's an opportunity to level.
Ah! And given our already high levels, we might not level again for quite some time in Real Life. If this is the case, I'm all for it.

6. For everyone else, I'm ideally wanting them to think of what a 5th level character might have gained access to, bought, traded for and that's their starting gear. If this were D&D, assume 10th level armament so to speak. Most of the cast may have ended up with better gear 8 years from now, but they'll have to get it again if they want it again.
Oh, how cool is that?

Oh, I can see it now! "Hey, fellas! Y'all remember July in 103 P.A. and that fenangled laser-guarded safe surrounded by them nigh-undetectable M.D. claymore mines all surrounded by that rascally anti-magic field? With my psychic Total Recall ability, I precisely remember that there funny little sequence to get in there and shut it all down without a scratch! So let's 'Git R Done!' But this time, I call dibs on that Potion of Breaking the Fourth Wall! I wanna shot at havin' a serious chat with whomever this durned Pips person is and all of her nut-job kooky Players! We're gunna sit down together an' I tell ya, there're gunna be some God-given changes around here or my name ain't John Brown Jr.!!"

Ha ha! Oh, uh, er, I'll stop there. Ha ha! (Yes, I posted that just to get a laugh, especially out of our political science Players here!)

For Chan-Chan, you're a dragon. I've no issues assuming that in her decades of life, she's got a hoard. Go with what seems reasonable to you.
A hoard?! Whoa! Ahh, this will take some time to process. Reasonable is good!

Edit: In Chan-Chan's description, I've made her out to be a chaser of Pre-Rifts artifacts. I very nearly gave her Archaeology and Excavation but I ran out of Skills. I've no intention of power-gaming here (if I did, I wouldn't be playing a PC like Chan-Chan), but hey! Her own hoard? Talk about one super-highway of ideas into side-adventurers if we ever want them! ("One day, these four really cute superheroes who called themselves Ninja Turtles rescued me from... what was his name? "Cheese-Shredder" or something like that? Well, the young one with the bo staff gave me this map with the "X" on it here. We had no idea what it leads to and still don't." With a smile and sparkle in her green eyes, Chan-Chan adds, "Anybody wanna find out?")

To quote a conversation I had yesterday:
Them: "PCs will, as a rule, grab as much power as possible and optimize the fun out of games."
Me: "In this case, the adversary is the mightiest nation on Earth. I consider it less of a risk than usual."
Hah! That's a good one! I may be a rare exception to this? For me, power will forever be a distant second to Good Times and Great Memories together! =)

Last edited:
i didnt think i'd see the words john brown and teenage mutant ninja turtles so close to each other, but here we are. this made me laugh quite a bit. and potion of fourth wall breaking is actualy kind of a great idea. it reminds me a bit of the warlock subclass in 5e where the GM is your patron.

And just for some context, I was in the Army as a Abrams crewman many years ago before I was discharged from training due to knee troubles. So I can speak from experience! Tank Swords!

Cool!!! someone here actually knows how to work a tank, the game has a built-in sword for a tank, this is perfect!

I mean, the goal is to prevent the war, but if push comes to shove- we can sword-tank to our hearts content.

Now, if we combine this with my Borg Tribble, we would be unstoppable!

BILBO LESTAT DRAKE THE BORG TRIBBLE, COMMANDING ITS MIGHTY FLEET OF SWORD TANKS
What the hell happened here? I was gone for 3 hours!

on-fire-pizza.gif

sword Tanks are sharp
borg tribbles are fuzzy
you bet your butt
things escalated quickly

sometimes you have to use imperfect rhymes, but close enough?)

What the hell happened here? I was gone for 3 hours!

on-fire-pizza.gif
Yes. Three hours during a holiday weekend that some of your RPers have time and opportunity to post with. =)

The timing of your return is impeccable. =)

Alex's non-sequitur of the day:
A theatre near me is doing one of my favorite musicals!!! When they announce auditions, I'm going to try to try out, and I am so excited!!!

Assassins! Were I AMAB, I'd have a real shot at getting cast even! alas, I'm only really the right age range for one of the roles.

Epiphany Epiphany Rawr!

1. Looks like the Grey Seer in the World Book 16 - Federation of Magic pg. 91 does receive "Speak and is literate in American (+20%)" and "Speaks one language of choice (+15%)" and I don't mind if you assume literacy there too.
Yeah, but Chan-Chan's not American - she's a dragon without Dragonese/Elven at Native Language proficiency! "Haalp!" =) (She's a Chinese dragon to boot too, but she's got Chinese language covered thanks to her martial art system!)

EDIT: Found the solution! Dragons & Gods book (which I now own in physical copy as of yesterday!) p. 23 "Hatchlings start with the language and basic math skills at 96% proficiency." Done! 8D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back