• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
IIRC, your Str is 4. Mechanically, you pump 4 motes of Essence into your body to get the +4 Str for the roll. Story wise, you can say something along the lines of, "He sends a flow of Essence into his arms, feeling the strength surge forth as he punches into the door."

Ah! I thought one had to be in bonfire-stage anima to use this! Does using this put him straight into bonfire anima? (Fat Cat is new to some of his powers - does he even know?) Huh!
You can use the Str bonus for the 5m expenditure. It is a free effect when you are in bonfire, but it is not a requirement of it.

IIRC, your Str is 4. Mechanically, you pump 4 motes of Essence into your body to get the +4 Str for the roll. Story wise, you can say something along the lines of, "He sends a flow of Essence into his arms, feeling the strength surge forth as he punches into the door."
O Mighty Fat Cat pumped some iron so now he has 5 Strength. Does this change things?

Oh! Okay, so Essence is a thing (like Chi or Ki if you like the Japanese term) that Exalted are aware of and can focus it?

Ok, the last time I looked, it was only a 4. So you can put 5m into your Str and double it to a 10. Add to that the Full Moon ability, and that adds to your Athletics score to try and break things. You pretty buff!

Ha ha ha! I think Mercy looks better without Tim's beard, thank you very much! 8D
True, considering right now Mercy is this tiny beautiful thing in her underwear riding a giant demon wasp with fire in her hand raised above her head...its like a Victoria's Secret or perfume commercial...you can hear Natalie Portman's voice in the background...

"Stinging Fire...Chanel Exalted Number 7"

Oh! Okay, so Essence is a thing (like Chi or Ki if you like the Japanese term) that Exalted are aware of and can focus it?
Yes. You have the power inside you, and it can go where and when you wish it to go.

And before I vanish for awhile here (and forgive me if I missed the answers to these):
1. Rykon talked about Excellencies and you mentioned that Lunars have the ability to make their Attributes more powerful (I think you worded it differently though). So... one does this by calling up another Attribute? (Say, using Perception to strike the weakest part of the door?)

2. Fat Cat has a Mutation that allows him the ability to do Lethal damage (Claws & Fangs). Surely doors can soak Bashing, but what about Lethal?

3. Either way, Da Chonk would like to use whatever Charms and Mutations will get the door down in a single hit like Finding the Needle's Eye for the extra reach. Would his Deadly Weaponry Mutation help?

Deadly Weaponry (•) (p. 119, Lunar)
Innate
Prerequisite: Claws/Fangs/Hooves/Horns or other natural weapons.

This mutation depicts especially dangerous natural weapons: long claws, piercing tusks, a stinging tail, etc. One of the mutant’s natural attacks gains one of the Balanced, Chopping, Disarming, Flexible, Piercing, or Smashing tags. With four-dot natural weaponry, she applies two tags. This mutation can be purchased multiple times to enhance different natural weapons, but can’t enhance the same natural weapon multiple times.

Ok, the last time I looked, it was only a 4. So you can put 5m into your Str and double it to a 10. Add to that the Full Moon ability, and that adds to your Athletics score to try and break things. You pretty buff!
He is not called O Mighty Fat Cat for nothin'! 8D

I'm so used to playing Garou who gain 4 dots in Strength alone just for going into Crinos form. In those games, having a Strength of 7, 8, or 9 was really nothing to bat an eyelash. It was when you hit double-digits that some PCs really started paying attention. I like the way Exalted v3.0 does things! =)

Yes. You have the power inside you, and it can go where and when you wish it to go.
O.K.! =)

Time to fly. See you later, everybody! 8D

I have not seen a case of a person using Perception to try and do more damage to something by searching for a weak point on it. That is very original of you. I'll have to ponder that. Usually, in combat, the Excellencies you'll be using the most are Str, Dex, and Sta. Str and Dex to hit and do more Withering Damage, and Sta to soak more Withering damage done to you.

Inanimate objects just have soak that applies to both bashing and lethal damage.

Deadly Weaponry is a free power to tap into, and with the piercing tag, it penetrates through some of the Soak of the door.

I'm so used to playing Garou who gain 4 dots in Strength alone just for going into Crinos form. In those games, having a Strength of 7, 8, or 9 was really nothing to bat an eyelash. It was when you hit double-digits that some PCs really started paying attention. I like the way Exalted v3.0 does things! =)
Yep. Even into the late game, things are fairly manageable without losing all meaningful impact from bonuses.

I remember a college buddy was running our Second Edition game through a published apocalyptic story arc called "Return of the Scarlet Empress" to end a long-running campaign we had... So with a bit of a heavy application of munchkin sorcery, we came up with a combat strategy where bare-handed attacks came out to over 1000 post-soak aggravated damage dice (+Thunderbolt Attack Prana doubling the successes). ...And before people look at me in that tone of voice, our opponent was the Neverborn/Undead equivalent to a third circle demon at that specific moment. The truly broken power scaling was that she still survived long enough to voluntarily surrender after the first punch out of six if memory serves.

I'm both sad and somewhat relieved Third Edition isn't as capable of such wonderfully absurd levels of lethality. Sometimes the boundaries can feel more like prison bars than guard rails when you consider how much lower the power ceiling really is. Then again 3E was tuned to a cap of 5 dots of Essence and traits, not 10. So fair enough I guess. Hopefully, there are enough lessons learned between 2E, 3E, and Essence (more or less 3.5E) for future iterations to end up far more satisfying to play and digestible to those just joining in.

I have not seen a case of a person using Perception to try and do more damage to something by searching for a weak point on it. That is very original of you.
Thank you! Psychie Psychie Let me know if you want me to use that or do something else? I will hold off on posting with Fat Cat until I hear from you.

Inanimate objects just have soak that applies to both bashing and lethal damage.

Deadly Weaponry is a free power to tap into, and with the piercing tag, it penetrates through some of the Soak of the door.
Good to know!

Yep. Even into the late game, things are fairly manageable without losing all meaningful impact from bonuses.
I am so glad to hear this!

Many years ago, I was gaming in a mixed-book White Wolf game as a PC with a group who had a creative but lazy Storyteller. Lazy enough that he did not monitor the things our characters gained.

When I warned him (twice, I believe) that a certain Black Fury gift, if allowed to combine with a Fang Dagger, might perform outrageous amounts of damage, he brushed me off and approved its combination without even looking it up. I could not believe this but I rolled with it with respect for his ruling as Storyteller (it was a "Your game, your rules" moment for me.)

So the huge action scene during our big showdown takes place, right? Bang! Pow! Boom!

I kid you not. During the very first round, when my Shaman (not-Warrior) Werewolf, struck his Big Bad for 21 Levels of Aggravated damage in a single hit, our astonished Storyteller just about fell over right there in his own living room.

Things did not improve from there. Despite our victory in the end, I never wanted to go to that sort of thing again. =) Hooray for game balance and responsible Game Masters!

Psychie Psychie Let me know if you want me to use that or do something else? I will hold off on posting with Fat Cat until I hear from you.
I will let you use either your Dexterity Excellency or your Perception one to get the bonus to-hit that you are talking about. Either way will give you a bonus to your attack against the door if that is still what you wish to do.

I will let you use either your Dexterity Excellency or your Perception one to get the bonus to-hit that you are talking about. Either way will give you a bonus to your attack against the door if that is still what you wish to do.
O.K.! Uh... so I'm going to write down a small (it got big) checklist here so I keep everything in order:

Also, if I'm reading Lunars right (p. 142), Da Chonk cannot use Perception as an Excellency (I don't seem to be able to copy/paste the section. See "Gaining Excellencies" above Restrictions)? He does not have Perception as a Favored Ability (and I think he doesn't have the Charms either). He does have Dexterity as a Caste/Favored Ability, so I'll go with that.

Fat Cat very likely remembers that Grey Stone has a huge pillar made of white jade beautifully inscribed with symbols. I would like for Fat Cat to bash in the door and if he spots said pillar, to grab it and with a meow to alert him, toss Grey Stone his artifact weapon.

Here's the math:
1. Strength (5)
2. Brawl (3)
3. Stunt (1 for 2 dice; Psychie will tell me if any of my posts count as a level 2 Stunt)
4. Dexterity Excellency (for... 4 dice?)
5. Charmed Existence Merit (ignore a single 1 on all rolls)
6. Charm: Finding the Needle's Eye (as Psychie said this would improve chances by stretching out Fat Cat's arm and paw for reach)
7. Mutation: Deadly Weaponry (for Piercing benefit)
8. Full Moon Anima (Don't forget! Per Psychie, this will also boost chances)
9. Both Fat Cat and I really want this door down and your gear back in the Circle's hands, so I'll spend a Willpower point. It's perfectly in-character for Da Chonk who loves to help friends like Aredin and allies like the once-met Grey Stone. =)

And... I think that's it? Did I forget anything? I don't know how much this is going to cost yet.

*goes through OOC yet again* *begins writing post*

O.K.! Uh... so I'm going to write down a small (it got big) checklist here so I keep everything in order:

Also, if I'm reading Lunars right (p. 142), Da Chonk cannot use Perception as an Excellency (I don't seem to be able to copy/paste the section. See "Gaining Excellencies" above Restrictions)? He does not have Perception as a Favored Ability (and I think he doesn't have the Charms either). He does have Dexterity as a Caste/Favored Ability, so I'll go with that.

Fat Cat very likely remembers that Grey Stone has a huge pillar made of white jade beautifully inscribed with symbols. I would like for Fat Cat to bash in the door and if he spots said pillar, to grab it and with a meow to alert him, toss Grey Stone his artifact weapon.

Here's the math:
1. Strength (5)
2. Brawl (3)
3. Stunt (1 for 2 dice; Psychie will tell me if any of my posts count as a level 2 Stunt)
4. Dexterity Excellency (for... 4 dice?)
5. Charmed Existence Merit (ignore a single 1 on all rolls)
6. Charm: Finding the Needle's Eye (as Psychie said this would improve chances by stretching out Fat Cat's arm and paw for reach)
7. Mutation: Deadly Weaponry (for Piercing benefit)
8. Full Moon Anima (Don't forget! Per Psychie, this will also boost chances)
9. Both Fat Cat and I really want this door down and your gear back in the Circle's hands, so I'll spend a Willpower point. It's perfectly in-character for Da Chonk who loves to help friends like Aredin and allies like the once-met Grey Stone. =)

And... I think that's it? Did I forget anything? I don't know how much this is going to cost yet.

*goes through OOC yet again* *begins writing post*
Sounds like you have a good handle on the process so far. Go for it!

Yeah, if you don't have the Attribute as either a Favored/Caste one, or you don't possess at least one Charm for that Attribute, you don't have an Excellency for it yet. Gives you something to work towards.

Ah! Okies! Just making certain I had it right (there is so much to learn and it's fun learning it with everyone here!). =)

Whew! That was fun to write. =)

Catch up in-game then read this?

If I thought there was more time in a Turn, and if all went well, I would have Da Chonk turn to the guards and even the demon ape and meow with them as if to say... "You are next!"

Ha ha ha! =)

Edit: I am just being silly! This is not a request! =)

Last edited:
Fat Cat's efforts of smashing the door are a bit more successful. The large Lunar hauls back a huge paw and with tremendous force, he punches the door out of its frame, leaving bits of hard oak scattered across the interior of the wagon. Fumbling around inside the formerly locked room, Fat Cat manages to feel several large items that are big enough to be Grey Stone's hammer. Pulling it out of the room, you see that yes, you do indeed have a large jade hammer in your paw.

With a flip of the paw, the Lunar warrior tosses the hammer over at Grey Stone for the other Exalt to catch.

(Jaydude) is now up, and you have your hammer in hand.
(Parenthesis and name mine).

It worked! Da Chonk beat the door in with one hit and got Grey Stone's pillar back to him! Woohoo! 8D

Happy Cat GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back