• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Into the Ruins - Exalted 3e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Alright, for character stuff I might try and work in martial arts as well Sherwood Sherwood . That said I'm thinkin about dusting off an old character like Aredin or Manato with some backstory changes for this story, especially since this seems to be a spelunking-focused campaign. So likely Eclipse, Fire, or Wood. Full Moon could still be on the table as well if a soak monster seems like a decent fit in the team.

I realize that probably doesn't narrow things down much at all, but each of those characters is a known quantity to a certain extent. Aredin would still be an Exalted merchant, Manato would still be a Dragon-Blooded but likely from Lookshy this time, and so on.

I'm debating between two different builds; one martial art swordsman using Single Point Shining into the Void style, or an archer, both Dawn Caste Solars. I'm leaning more towards the swordsman at the moment. I know that Chowlett Chowlett was talking about doing some sneaky Solar Night Caste type stuff, but I don't know for sure yet.

BTW, this is my 46,000th post on this site.

I'm debating between two different builds; one martial art swordsman using Single Point Shining into the Void style, or an archer, both Dawn Caste Solars. I'm leaning more towards the swordsman at the moment. I know that Chowlett Chowlett was talking about doing some sneaky Solar Night Caste type stuff, but I don't know for sure yet.

BTW, this is my 46,000th post on this site.
I know what you mean, I've been tempted to try Single Point, or revisit this Brawl-Archery build I once had using a Flame Piece and a Khatar (punch dagger). Outside of martial arts, it seems like most combat styles feel the same. Though I'd say that's because most of your truly threatening techniques are found in a small handful of broadly useful charms.

Might be time for me to dig through and refresh my memory of what's out there.

In the meantime. Any thoughts on how you'd like us to start off Psychie Psychie ? Any particular city or circumstances?

I am thinking Great Forks or Nexus as your startout point for this game. You are an existing band of Exalts on the run from the Wyld Hunt which is right on your heels, just barely able to keep one step ahead of the headsman. You have gotten word of a savant in the city's university that has discovered the location of a powerful artifact, and it might hold the key to your salvation. You just need to find this item before your hunters do.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning Sneaky; but I usually like an unusual spin on my characters (see the D&D Jekyll-and-Hyde clever barbarian), so I'll need to ponder that. Maybe Sneaky with an Occult backup? Not necessarily Sorcery - IIRC 3e Sorcery is a bit involved, although I'd happily be corrected - but maybe along the Thaumaturgy and/or Lore crossover lines?

Sorcery is a bit different from 2e, but it is a very valuable power to be able to tap into. If you want to go that route, I can help offer up some helpful hints on how to use it well.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning Sneaky; but I usually like an unusual spin on my characters (see the D&D Jekyll-and-Hyde clever barbarian), so I'll need to ponder that. Maybe Sneaky with an Occult backup? Not necessarily Sorcery - IIRC 3e Sorcery is a bit involved, although I'd happily be corrected - but maybe along the Thaumaturgy and/or Lore crossover lines?
So Thaumaturgy was curtailed to a handful of specific merits in 3E and it's less of a science and more of minor supernatural abilities that naturally occur in some people at birth.

Lore's mechanics for declaring facts can be highly useful. I'd take a look into that. Solar Lore is also useful for dealing with the Wyld or unlocking evocations (but the latter is more for supernal Lore types)

These are the most noticeable differences with sorcery between 2E and 3E

In 3E initiating into sorcery comes with a "shaping ritual". This defines the nature of how you awakened to access sorcerous power (Examples include: spirit pacts, academic studies, a magical item, or mystical consumable). There are also merits you can optionally invest in as well as out-of-the-box benefits to each shaping ritual. You also get a free spell (a "control spell") for each circle you unlock that has extra features than it would for other sorcerers that don't have that spell as their control spell.

Casting spells no longer uses your motes, but instead mote you gather from the world around you (at a rate determined by your shape sorcery rolls). Willpower used for spells is still your willpower, but completing a spell automatically awards a point of temporary willpower.

An additional subsystem called Workings was also created, this allows the sorcerer to invest XP (usually Solar/Splat XP) into manifesting long-term effects into the world that are larger in scope than a typical spell. One might enchant the roads of a city to glow at night, or farmlands to grow crops that are ten times their normal size, possibly create new species of flora or fauna, or even blot out the sun for an entire city (see Champoor). There are concrete examples and guidelines in the core book to make this manageable and sensible, but it can be a bit daunting to consider jumping into.

Hope that summary helps.

Right, so reading Sorcery and Lore/Facts (why is the book so scattergun arranged), they're both pretty nifty. I was slightly preferring Sorcery, and there are even a couple of shaping rituals that would fit nicely, but it doesn't look like there are actually many spells that would help a primary-stealth character. Unless I'm missing a bunch from a different book, of course. Or, I suppose, if I was using battlefield stealth (where DoOB still works nicely, and Skin of Invulnerable Bronze helps out) instead of infiltration stealth. Plus general utility spells like Infallible Messenger, I suppose.

The idea of a Stealth / Lore character doing daring midnight library raids is pretty fun, though. And I like the Fact declaration rules and it leading to even better Lore via Harmonious Academic Methodology.

So basically I'm having difficulty choosing!

So basically I'm having difficulty choosing!
I can definitely relate. I have an Eclipse concept that leans heavily into Larceny, but that may bump shoulders against your concept a bit depending on which way you wanna go. I have other ideas to work with so no pressure.

If you're looking for what a sorcerer could do to compliment a stealthy disposition, let's see... There's unexpected entry work with Cirrus Skiff, forcing secrets with Corrupted Words, sending messages with Infallible Messenger, unseen spirit servants through the summoning spells, casting a sleep trance with Mists of Eventide, sudden escape with Flight of Separation (in the Lunars book), obscuring memories with Peacock Shadow Eyes (also Lunar's book), or sculpt faces to extend your senses or communication options with Spoke the Wooden Face (Dragon-Blooded book),

There's a couple more mystical feeling effects, but they aren't as adjacent to espionage-type activities as these are. Overall, I think Solar stealth does a great job supporting most stealth activities as is.

For other options to add a twist, there's also the Ebon Shadow Style martial art which might put you a bit toward ninjutsu or White Veil style in the Dragon-Blooded book that's less brutal and more subtle. These are kind of bread and butter assassination techniques though, but very cool nonetheless. There's also Investigation and Socialize worth checking out too if you're looking for a character that's overall a master of digging up the truth. So, don't be afraid to dabble in side skills when you need to. Sometimes you can even surprise yourself with how far the backup options up your sleeves can take you.

Hmm, good points all round. I think I'll start statting up with Stealth my main focus, probably Sorcery second, and see how much I've got left to play with.

Do you happen to have the text for those spells from the Lunar book?

Here's the spells if you're interested in potentially taking them.

Cost: 15sm, 1wp
Keywords: None
Duration: Until ended
Reciting a short paean in praise of things both small and many, the sorcerer disintegrates into a flock of dozens of diminutive birds. Her consciousness diffuses across many bodies, becoming the flock’s guiding intelligence. She designates a location within 10 miles, and begins flying toward it. The flock uses her traits, but the only physical actions she can take are movement actions and dodging. She gains +2 Evasion, although not against area-of-effect attacks, and adds (higher of Essence or 3) dice on disengage and withdraw rolls. Outside combat, she flies at ([Dexterity + Athletics] x 2) miles per hour. She can end this spell reflexively at any time. It also ends upon reaching her destination or being incapacitated.

Sorcerers with this as their control spell can speak to and understand birds, though some may not make for the best conversation. Treat birds and bird-like spirits as having a Minor Tie of fondness for her.

Special activation rules: After collecting the sorcerous motes to cast this spell, the sorcerer may “hold” it rather than casting it. She suffers a -1 penalty to all actions and static values while doing so, as she must will her body not to burst into birds. She can cast it reflexively at any time, although if any enemies are at close range, she must reflexively disengage against them. On failure, the spell is lost.

Distortion (Goal Number 10): Distorting this spell undermines the flock’s unity, sending it darting in different directions. In combat, the sorcerer must make a difficulty 2 (Wits + Integrity) roll each turn, suffering one die of Hardness-ignoring bashing damage on failure as parts of herself fly away. Outside of combat, she must make this roll each mile, and failure halves her speed, rounded down, for that mile.
Cost: 7sm, 2wp
Keywords: Psyche
Duration: One scene
The sorcerer’s eyes blaze with many-colored flames that enrapture and entrance. She rolls ([Intelligence or Manipulation] + Occult) against the Resolve of a character within medium range. Success induces a trance, imposing a -2 Resolve penalty on him. He can still act, but retains no memories of time spent in this trance, rationalizing any social influence used on him during this time as his own thoughts and emotions. Attacking or otherwise harming him shatters the trance. Blind or eyeless characters are immune to this spell.

If a character’s suppressed memories would endanger a Major or Defining Intimacy — e.g., if the sorcerer revealed the existence of an imminent threat to such an Intimacy during a trance — he may spend two Willpower to resist, reclaiming his memories. Any social influence used on him during the trance remains in place.

This spell is subtle but noticeable; onlookers with Resolve higher than the sorcerer’s roll — including her victim, if she fails — can roll (Perception + Occult) opposing it. Success lets them recognize she’s employed some form of supernatural power; otherwise, they dismiss it as a trick of the light.

The irises of a sorcerer with this as her control spell are alive with luminous shifting colors. She treats her Appearance as one higher on influence rolls to inspire fascination with herself or any influence rolls against characters affected by this spell, but suffers a –2 penalty on disguise rolls.

Distortion (Goal Number: 12): If the trance is distorted in the scene this spell was used, the target experiences cryptic flashbacks of the suppressed scene. After (6 – Integrity) days, he can spend Willpower to resist, as above, in the absence of a threat to his Intimacies.

Also, before I forget to ask, since we're starting on the run Psychie Psychie are there any merits I should possibly avoid like Manse or possibly even Artifact? Right now I'm still leaning toward an Eclipse Merchant Smuggler (Larceny focused). For combat, I'm still torn between the ever-reliable Sword-Melee and an Archery/Brawl mix. Truthfully I'd probably try and do it all if I could fit in the charms and ability dots for it.

Psychie Psychie - the rules indicate I need to state what field of study my Lore rating is in, but doesn't really give any clear idea of scope they're expecting. Do you have examples of what you might expect there?

Also, before I forget to ask, since we're starting on the run Psychie Psychie are there any merits I should possibly avoid like Manse or possibly even Artifact? Right now I'm still leaning toward an Eclipse Merchant Smuggler (Larceny focused). For combat, I'm still torn between the ever-reliable Sword-Melee and an Archery/Brawl mix. Truthfully I'd probably try and do it all if I could fit in the charms and ability dots for it.
There are no Merits that are off limits that I can think of. I have considered having the first arc of the story involve you going to get your starting artifacts, but I'm not going to do that to you. Go ahead and get your goodies!
Psychie Psychie - the rules indicate I need to state what field of study my Lore rating is in, but doesn't really give any clear idea of scope they're expecting. Do you have examples of what you might expect there?
It depends on how wide of a view of a subject you wish. Do you have Lore knowledge about the Realm in general, or the Imperial City specifically? The first will give you info on the second, just not as focused, if that makes any sense to you. What kind of Lore knowledge are you looking to pick up?

I had forgotten how tough it could be to generalize this much trying to fit in combat competency, social influence, and professional utility in one kit. Current Eclipse brainstorm ended up with 3 melee charms (and 3 more to get Thunderbolt Attack Prana which is damn near mandatory for a non-ranged combatant), 1 larceny charm, 2 linguistics charms (forgery can be a bit of a thing), Excellency pickup charms for Awareness and Stealth, an Ox-Body and 3 Performance charms. At least I know more or less where the wishlist is heading. If I can properly balance dots on attributes, abilities, and merits this may stick.

In light of all of that, the Lunar alternative still seems appealing at this rate. Especially since we might want to make a lot of trouble over the course of the campaign. Dragon-Blooded might be a bit of a weird pick for running from the hunt, so I think I'll shelve that one for another time.

What kind of Lore knowledge are you looking to pick up?
Not decided yet, but that gives my a lead on scope. Possibly something from "Known local spirits and their powers", "Local geography", or "Tales of the First Age" (some of which may depend on what direction you're wanting to take the story).

I have most of my sheet done except for the background.

You are welcome to join in!
Thanks. I will.

In terms of ideas, the first one that came to mind right after I found out about this was a former Immaculate turned Zenith Caste Monk who uses Earth Dragon Style. At the same time, also wondering if I should play a sorcerer of some kind (new experience), and perhaps also a Lunar.

Well, just so you know, at the moment we don't have any Lunars or Dragon Blooded in the game, since Chowlett is probably going to pull in a Night Caste Solar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back