• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy uncharted land

The kid looked at the weird adult then laughed at him. "In this age you are illiterate?! You must be a real dummy! Stupid things like you shouldn't come to the city..." He said and ran away but a moment later another kid threw a pebble at the Great Owl. "Go back to you village!" He shouted before running away in opposite direction.

"Thanks!" Exclaimed Great Owl trowing a stone down to the brick road "Maybe a fellow adult would be better" whispered great Owl to running river

"Maybe it's too odd if one of them can't read. He said you shouldn't come to the city... what if that's part of their culture?" Running River spoke doubtfully. "I think they keep the weak out of towns and city. Did you see any blind, crippled or too old yansi on the way? Let's go somewhere else to avoid getting attention... next time ask them how good they have learned to read... don't let them know you can't read." He suggested.

Running River hadn't thought of asking the weak but other children but Great Owl's question made him wonder if his idea was better. "To find the weak and out cast... maybe we should lurk around the gate and watch for a while..." He said.
After waiting for half an hour, they noticed a lonely teenagers yansi leaving the city with a basket of fruits. He was nervous and kept watching around him to make sure no oe was following him so RR decided to follow him. The teen calf went to a cottage near the city to meet a very old yanis leaving there. RR noticed that a few other old yansi were gathered in the cottage. He brought the news to Great Owl. "I found where they keep their old ones. I don't think they would react like the rest. Let's find some food or clothing as gift and meet them. Maybe they can even teach you." He said.

"Maybe, but I don't want to steal it from anyone" said Great Owl walking toward the nursing house on the outskirts of town "maybe they'll be curteous enough to teach us for free"

"I can't consider trees as belongings... but you're right; They own the tree and its fruits but I can never accept anyone owning a land..." Running River said while following Great Owl to the nursing house. "We can at least pick flowers, can't we?!" He asked.

"Good idea." Running River could see the old cottage ahead. "That's it." He said. An old man stepped out of the cottage and sat on a log near the front door to watch the same scenery he used to watch everyday.

Great owl walked up to the man saying "excuse me, I came from a villaige and I was looking to make a life in the Capitol, but no one wants to help me. Can you show me how to read please?"

"How to read?" The old man asked and laughed tiredly. "If you don' know in this age then you must lack intelligence. They don't like someone as slow as that..." He shook his head then looked up at Great Owl trying to focus on his face as his eyesight was blurry. "It takes a year for a calf to learn to read but I can help you learn it in three month if you really try. I can teach you two hours a day and you can do some errands for us instead." He suggested.

"Right after you make us dinner. We're six people and the only edible thing remained in the house is potatoes." Said the old yansi. "Anyhow... you can call me Mogge... what's your name, lad?" He asked.

Mogge nodded. "It's the first time I hear this name but each villages has its own set of names... well, Greowli, you'd better hurry up and do something about dinner." He demanded.

"Thank you, lad. And next time bring some ingredient with you. We can't live with just potato!" Mogge called out.

A few hours later, six weary yansi were waiting for heir meal. It was a surprise for them that a young one had stopped to cook for them. After having dinner they each thanked Greowli and tried to start a chat out of boredom but Mogge couldn't give him time for that. He wanted to pay his two hours of education sooner as they used to sleep early.
"Come here, Greowli. I'm going to use these old stuff to teach you... " He said as shown him a bored and a rough piece of chalk. "You see... we have a sign for each word. I'll teach you words that you need most first. Right them down on a note we you get home and memorize them till tomorrow." He instructed then began drawing on the board with the piece of chalk. "This sign means money... and these numbers; 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0... it's easy for now, isn't it?" He asked. "How many words do you think you can learn in a day?" He questioned.

"I can say I get these prettty easily" said Greowli before demonstrating while pointing to the symbols "Money, one two three, four, Five. six ...." he stalled at number seven saying "Seven, eight, nine..." he stalled at 0 before saying "Zero"

"You have to keep them in your head forever." Mogge said and wrote more words. "And this are farm productions you might want to sell; corn, potato, bean, vegetable, fruit...." He wrote about 30 words.

"Some of these look the same" said Great Owl "How can I tell the difference between that one and that one" Great owl pointed to the words Squash and potato with the only difference being that obe had an extra diacritic that the other didn't have.

"Just write them down until your hand hurt!" Said the old yansi. "I don't think you can learn more for ti day. You'd better go home and practice. We'll work on the rest tomorrow."

Running River was waiting for Great Owl outside of the cottage, the whole time he had been working and studying inside. "So, who did it go? How long does it take you to learn their writing system?" He asked as soon as saw him living the cottage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back