• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy uncharted land

Tonstad39

God of wisdom
After a harsh storm, me and my crew (including you) have landed on a strange land with rocky beaches. We set out for Selthu for our home kingdom of Canab, but we are on this odd land, what are we going to do now?

Last edited by a moderator:
my character is a 42 year old Human captain delivering mail to Selthu, a far off island province of our home kingdom when my sailing ship is in uncharted waters

what's your character?

My character is a 31 years old maiden called Mitra who is a tamer. He travels around to research on different life types especially animals, and gathers samples. Although the ship has strayed from its path due to storm and they're almost lost, but she's fine as long as she can do her job. As a tamer and a ship crew, she uses her knowledge to keep the ship away from sea monsters but as soon as they arrive at the strange island she notices that a giant squib lives under the water before fatal rocks of the shore.

Do you need and explanation about her appearance?

(it's good)

the ship was bound to crash against a rocky beach with nothing but a birchwood forst at the end of the beach. The captain kept his wheel steady and ordered "Lower the mainsails and drop the anchor, we're running aground!" and just like that his crew lowered the gangplank and took down the sail. The captain nervously thought "dear glindis (goddess of the seas) I hope my ship makes it!"

Mitra wrapped her heavy cloak around her slender body and stepped on the plank. Although the ground beneath her feet wasn't less steady than before, she was frowning as felt something was off. The tamer sniffed the air as soon as her boots met island's soil then walked straight to the captain. "Sir, may I have word..." She called for his attention. "I don't think this beach is safe enough to leave your ship at. The air smells of rotting... I guess some monster's den... considering the environment... a giant squid lives in these waters... if you leave the ship here it can sink it." She warned him seriously but had no idea where else they could anchor.

the captain turned his ship around heading her advice before Ordering his crew "Raise the anchor, this is a sea monster's keep!" and the crew now went the opposite direction, raising the anchor. He turned to Mitra and said "well where on this island should I dock, this island is probably uninhabited"

"This island gives me creeps..." Mitra whispered as watched the grey rocks distancing from the stern. "Let me ask someone who is familiar to it." Saying this, she asked one of the crew to bring her a fish, then raised it up and called out in odd voices like birds' shirking. As the result, a seagull flew down to grab the fish and before soaring up back to the sky with hits prize, made lots of noise. "He says the monster is coming after us anyway." Mitra translated what the seagull had said and pointed at a dark spot approaching them beneath the water. "There it is... we'd better get ready to fight. It has a soft body so spears and swords will work well." She explained. The closer the squid got to the ship, the larger its shadow became. Mitra turned pal as realized how gigantic the monster was.

Captain fetri continued to steer away from land and the giant squid as five crew members got out their swords and another one got out a bow and arrow in preparation to kill the sea monster.

Mitra knew well that battle fields weren't places for her thus, she gave her place to a tall black man who was a professional at throwing harpoons. She instead stuck to a pole and grabbed on its ropes tightly while men where fighting and the ship was flying up and down with each attack from the monster.

The damage each of squid's arms caused to the ship was sever and Mitra thought if they don't cut them all off soon, the ship was going to sink. but she was wrong; the harpooner aimed for the single large eye of the monster and hit it hard from close range. Suddenly the gigantic eyeball exploded and slimy liquid splashed everywhere. Mitra still couldn't believe her eyes but ran forward shouted: "It's dead! You made it! Bring the corps in... it's edible and valuable..." She then walked fast to the captain and announced that the coast was clear. She couldn't feel anything strange by the beach anymore.

"HAUL THE SQUID IN" Captain fetri yelled as most of the crew members halled the squid corpse with the help of the harpoons onto the ship. The ship was tilting heavily to one side as it began to slow down as tentacle by tentacle the corpse was on the boat, slightly tilting in.

Once captain Fetri began to regain his balance, he ordered "Harrold(the tallyman), check to see that we didn't loose any cargo!" "yes sir!" Harrold said before going down to the cargo bay "Gerul (the shipbuilder), inspect the hull for any damage done to the hull" "yes sir" Gerul said going down to the bottom deck. He got down from the stering wheel and walked over to Mitra saying "Well done, well done" as he gave her a pat on the back.

"I only did my duty, sir." Mitra replied. She had already readied her equipment to take samples from their prey. What she found in side eyeball's substances amazed her but there was no need to talk about it yet. Not until she could do more research on other creatures of the island and make sure about her theory. She almost was busy with her pipes and potions till they returned to the island. Meanwhile, the crew were cutting tentacles into pieces to store them inside barrels.

When again on the solid ground, Mitra looked for other monsters ambushing for them but seemingly they were going to be safe for a while. She walked ahead on the rocks until a thick forest appeared, covering the heart of the island which was a single volcano. "There must be water inside the forest but where there is fresh water beasts roam as well. What should we do, captain?" She asked as soon as Fetri left the ship.

(you do realise that this is supposed to be a continent just being discovered, not an island, so why would you describe the hear of an island when it's supposed to be a continent?) (the reason everone else describes it as an island is because they don't know that it's really a continent and think that it's another westward isle)

Captain Jon Fetri told Mitra and the crew while looking back at his ship "We're stranded, but scout around the island, we need to understand our location for this is uncharted territory. oh and Stefan (A magic user), summon a guiding light to alert ships of our location!" "yes sir" Stefan said making a small ball of bluish green light as the sun was setting.

"as for you, Mitra" the captain said "try to gauge the island's size and check for any wildlife" as the guiding light was released up into the air, but instead of going out to sea, it went in the direction of  birchwood forest. "This land is habited, stay on your guard" Stefan announced for he was suprised at the direction of the guiding light.

(I thought its like Australia or eastern coasts of America. Before reaching the main land there are several islands on the way. A whole continent being uninhabited is unlikely so I thought its better to pass the monsters' island before arriving at a new continent. And there must be a few native clans living inside a continent. It can also be a peninsula... yet I don't want monsters walk freely into the main land!)

"Yes, sir. I'll try my best." Mitra  replied confidently but lost her confidence after making her way into the forest with a few companions. "Creature are shying from us..." She kithed. She had tried to ask birds about what they could see from above but they were in hurry to get away. Mitral felt something dangerous must be around. The group kept going straight till reached a swamp like ground that gross gasses emitted out of it. They were about to change their path when she found a bunch of large shiny scales scattered around. She picked some and ran back to other teams to meet with with Stefan.

"Look... "

Mitra opened her poach and showed the scales to the sorcerer.

"I'm not a dragon master but... aren't these dragon scales? I'm rather afraid of facing on in this situation..."

(Thanks for bringing it to my attention, i imagine it ending in a point, but I suppose there's islands at the end of the continent, like the Florida keys, thanks. OMG this is this world's Roanoke)

Stefan grabbed the scales out of Mira's hand and says "I think so, but it's not a type of dragon that you see back in Canab. The dragons on the westward isles are giant feathered snakes with metallic underscales, Selthunites give blood sacrifices to them beliving they're gods" and just like that, the other party members readied their bows as Stefan began conjuring water in his hands. (References, what references?)

(Thanks~ It feels good to be useful!)

"OMG! Our arrows and spears can never even scratch a metal coated dragon. I wish we had never stepped on this cursed land..." Mitra said in shock as covered her mouth. She took a deep breath and calmed down. "At this rate... I won't be able to fly for mapping. That dragon must be the king of this island... " She muttered and looked back at the path she had returned from. "Well... there is still one way left. If I climb the mount I'll be able to map the area easily." She spoke firmly then looked straight in magician's face. "Will you assist me in this quest? I don't know language of this dragon so my words and knowledge is useless against it." She requested a hand.

(I don't understand your question about references.)

"Sure" Stefan said "But we're deliverymen, not dragon slayers so we don't have the weaponry to deal with something like that. We're only equipped for pirates and sea monsters, not dragons." the party nodded in agreement. "I can still help, but it will be a mission of possible death!" Stefan said going up towards the mound.

Meanwhile, the guiding light reached it's destination. A small group of four tribal lycanthropes, each of them had black tribal paint embedded in their fur. They had committed crimes on the mainland and were here in exile as beasts that could never be humans again. They awed at the light before them, clawing and grabbing it. The guiding light began to move and two exiled tribesmen followed it while the other two stayed back and watched the sunset.

"I understand. The best we can do it hiding our presence..." Mitra said before the small group went back into the forest which its shadows had started growing longer. While taking cautious steps on soft fallen leaves and grass, scarlet light of sunset found its way to their eyes through thick foliage branches. The tamer encouraged her group to move faster as they had to climb before it getting dark. They took the route around the smelly swamp then arrived at the rough rocks of the mount. Without hesitation, she started climbing and managed to have a look at the whole thing they had called an island. The scenery was really interesting and she had a lot to tell Captain but in that moment of excitement fear filled her heart as she heard and felt heavy breathes of a dragon through rocks she was clinging to. "Dragons are nocturnal... It's waking up... we have to get down and hide... every one should hide... even the ship..." She whispered with pale face and looked at Stefan with hope. "Can you do this from here? Like hiding the ship and crew?" She asked without noticing the movements inside the forest beneath their them.

"I don't think my magic would quite be powerful enough to do that, especially from this distance" Stefan said as a giant serpent snaked out of a nearby cave and towered 30ft above the party. As night fell, it's golden underbelly was dimming and a large dominating hiss crowded the air. It's feathers were colorful and got shorter going down the beast's greened copper backside. "W-what should we do" asked Stefan

"Husssh!" Mitra hissed. "We can do nothing about the ship... Only pray that it doesn't care and passes by... but we have to keep it down and hide like rats... every one... face down on the earth..." She spoke in low tone as curled her small body behind a rock. "Just wait... when it leaves we can go back..." She almost spoke to herself and peeked at direction of the ocean nervously, wondering what was going to happen to sailors. If they were to lose their ship, there was no hope fore them to be able to return home. Despite of being a tamer, she was so frightened that couldn't admire the glory of a metallic dragon.

Every one got their head into the dirt as the dragon got down to their level, licking the air around the party. 'TᎮᏎ ᎱᎹnᏍ ᎠrᎡ ᎥᎡry ᏍtrᎠnᎨ' (these humans are strange) the dragon thought as it slithered up to the rock to see another human hiding behind it. "ᏲᎤr ᏍkᎢn ᎢᏍ ᏪᎢrd ᎠᏍ ᎢᏍ ᏲᎤr ᏍcᎡnt, WᎭt ᎠrᎡ ᏲᎤ?" (Your skin is weird as is your scent, what are you?) the dragon hissed at Mitra.

mranwhile the native exiles were following the guiding light "ᏍᎰᎤld Ꮺ kᎡᎡp fᎣlᎶᏫng Ꭲt?" (should we keep following it?) one native lycan asked before the other answered "Ꮩ ᏲᎤ Ꮜy ᎣtᎮrᏫᏎ" (well, why not?) "Ꮺll, tᎯᏍ ᎢᏍ ᎴᎠᏗ ᎤᏍ tᎣᏩ tᎮ Ꮝ ᏍᎾkᎡ'Ꮝ cᎠᎥᎡ ᎠᎢ Ꮩ Ꮹ Ꭳ Ꭱ Ꭰ ᎶᎣ ᏌᎢfᎢᎡ!" (Well, It's leading us to hesal's cave and I don't want to be a blood sacrifice!) the other bickered as the one leading the two man pack reasoned "ᎵᏍᏖn, Ꭲf tᎮ Ꮅght ᎢᏍ ᎴᎠᏗng ᎤᏍ tᎯᏍ Ꮹy, Ꮺ Ꮻll fᎣlᎶw. ᎹybᎡ ᎮᏌl ᎭᏍ Ꭰ ᏑprᎢᏎ fᎣr ᎤᏍ" (Well, maybe Hesal has a suprise for us and if the light wants to direct us toward Hesal we will follow!) the other lycan simply growled and grumbled under his breath 'ᎮᏌl'Ꮝ ᏑᎢᏎ Ꮻ bᎡ ᏕᎠ' (Hesal's suprise will be death) as the two walked past a swamp ignoring the scent of foreigners.

Mitra could hear dragon's heavy moves and the its thick smell that was getting closer and closer.

'Drat... it's sniffed us out...'

She concluded as made sure the enormous serpent was crawling directly toward them. It slithered up the rock she had used as her hiding shield which meant it was already too ate for her to think of a way to save her head. The frightened maiden sprang away and watch the hunter with fearful widened eyes as the ancient creature hissed to her in a language unknown to her.

'I'm done... is it my end?'

She wondered hopelessly as froze in the spot at the moment of meeting its cold eyes.

'Being eaten by a dragon... Not a bad ending to my story... '

With this thought she gain her composer back a little and wished that could understand dragon's harsh tongue but it was the first time that she had met a dragon. She gulped her fear down and tightened her fists hanging beside her, mustering up some courage.

"Hassha isshaia hess..." (We didn't mean to intrude your turf.)

"...Sess..." (Please forgive)

She used serpents' language hoping that the dragon understood it. Mitra couldn't imagine that a dragon might be talking with the normal language of the land.

"Ssss heoaaargh sssss hrrrrr" (I don't know what you are, but you certainly don't seem exiled) Hesal said slithering down to her, his feathers hitting and practically dwarfing Mitra as he licked the air once more. "HROOOAGGHHH sesss hrooaaaarh SHAAAGH sss" (And what shaman might you be to speak in my bestial tounge) the dragon asked bewildered at this tribe of human non-humans. Meanwhile mild rustling can be heard as the guiding light can be seen at a fair distance from the trees as two deep voices can be heard in argument "Ꭲ ᏖlᎵ ᏲᎤ, tᎯᏍ Ꮅ ᎢᏍ Ꭰ Ꭰ!" (I'm telling you, this light is a trap!) "Ꭳh ᏍᎱt Ꭴ" (It was your idea!) bickered the other voice "tᎮ ᎵcᎠᎺ tᎣ ᎤᏍ Ꭰ Ꮺ cᎣnᏘᏄᎡ tᎣ fᎣlᎶw Ꭲ" (If it hadn't been for you we wouldn't have been exiled, now listen to me for once!)

Mitra obviously shivered and she had more than one reason for that; the winged serpent's touch was creepy, disgusting and clearly humiliating but on top of all, he could crash her bones any moment he desired. "Tsta..."(tamer) She replied with trembling voice. "Issa... eshsh..."(Lost... in ocean...) She went on as if the more she spoke the later she died. The beast had mentioned exiled people and she wanted to know who they were but in her grave situation even talking about it sounded funny. Suddenly and idea glimmered in her mind. The dragon had called serpent language his bestial tongue then was to other language he spoke human tongue? "D.. do you kn... know oour l...lang... uage?" She forced the words out of her pale lips.

"Hroooagh ssssses hraaawr hrrr rrrr roooaar ssses ssssess ssess raaagh hrrrooooch" (this is the island of the beasts, tribes exile their worst criminals to this island before we take their humanity away!) the dragon explained to show that he doesn't speak such a language as two lycans in black tribal paint walk behind their guiding light while they were snarling to eachother. The light moved around Hesal's cave and over his long body as the two wolfmen eye the light go to the opposite side of the dragon, they clearly didn't want to go over him so they stood around quietly hoping the dragon would move. Hesal did move, but only because heard all to familiar growling "Hrrrr sess sess" (What are those idiots doing here!) the dragon said slithering back around careful not to accidentally kill the stranded ones. He slithered up the side of a tree as a less feathered part of his metallic tail knocked Mitra over. Upon seeing that the dragon didn't gnash him, Stefan got his head out of the dirt as he noticed the guiding light just floating above a narrower section of tail, The dragon was now seeing everything, exiled ones on one side of his tail and foreigners on the other. They couldn't see eachother for the dragon's tail was too large to see the other side, both sides did however dee the guiding light floating above the tail. Both were scared and both were hesitant.

"You take their humanity away?!" Mitra was so shocked and confused that forgot to talk properly. Was was about to repeat her question in serpent tongue when the entrance of painted wolves interrupted her. Her frightened gaze shifted between wolves and dragon. Suddenly the dragon moved and his slithering made feel sick. "Esa... Sashii..."(Please... let us...) She couldn't finish her sentence as got knocked by the cold metal. "What's going to happen to us?" She thought as felt the world dancing around her head. She only wanted to ask her to let them leave. But even if the dragon wasn't going to kill them they still had to fight against wolves to survive. Or should they? Even wolves of that island weren't normal. They had come for something or she had just imagined that they were waiting for something. The world was still spinning but she had no intention to die yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back