• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Hunter’s Inn || Monster Hunting RP [OPEN]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
The half-orc’s candor was noted, that is until she grabbed the parchment that Rika immediately recognized as her reason for having entered the office. Her heart having so nearly stopped, Rika froze, and then the letter was discarded. Beryl’s concerns took precedent, and Rika breathed a sigh of relief at the woman’s single-minded succinctness was, for today, her savior rather than her executioner. Nonetheless, RIka, taking notice of where the parchment landed, took the opportunity to walk over and grab it, indulging further bloviation to detract from her otherwise spurious doings. She grabbed the letter, and quickly, whilst out of Beryl’s line of sight, crumpled it, but also took notice of some blank parchment nearby and gently placed it on the proprietor’s desk, backing away with the discarded letter well hidden out of sight. “I quite understand. I—“ She quickly tried to come up with a legitimate reason for the disturbance. Beryl was many things, but stupid certainly wasn’t one of them. “I’d passed by the town on my way here…” A lie. “… and it seemed like a decent place. If, at all, a new quest emerges in the area, and I can help in any regard to it, please let me know. I'll keep a look out in the meantime.” The visit was false, but the truth lay in that she was truly concerned for the wellbeing of the people there. She bowed, partially out of respect, and partially because when such pervasive trepidation adumbrated her senses, such behaviors came almost instinctively. With that, she made for the exit, closing the door shut behind herself.†

~
Back in the guild hall, Rika took in the tenor of the place. People were speaking, many of them concerned. The boy with the fancy armor had made his way back downstairs, along with Ramirez. She sighed, practically worn thin from the number of slights and machinations of the day, and she'd only just arrived. Looking to the door to the training yard, she'd taken to remember one such honest being, and made it a point to check on him, so she made for the training yard.

~
Once outside, she took notice of Callan, clearly in a bit of a state, Tobias (I think) and Siwai, surrounded by a litany of semi-destroyed equipment. On further inspection, she noted that he appeared to be bruised, particularly on his hands and there was still the matter of fact that he'd just returned from battle. Staying on the roundabout edges of the courtyard (she liked him, but definitely did not want to be in his line of fire) she spoke, kindly and calmly, "I do believe the mannequins have yielded... what remains of them, anyway." She smiled warmly at the Kobold-Birdfolk hybrid.

Sorry Beryl? Sorry Pestle? Sorry to whichever survives I guess. 🤣

Genii Genii nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

Last edited:
Meg’s eyes were wide as she nodded, taking in Anat’s agreement. She reached out, taking her hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. Ever since the blinding light, her mind had been blank, as if her thoughts were shadows to be cleared. But they were creeping in again, as a slow trickle as first, before the flood began. Half were thoughts of fear, like debris in a river, but the rest were focusing on what to do.

She’d already signed the contract. If its magic could be used to resurrect you, then its magic was definitely binding you to its word. Perhaps there could be a set group who checks out the true difficulty, without interfering. Or a rule to return if the quest parameters are inaccurate. Just a glance out of Colby’s walls would be enough to have known something was off in her quest. She knew not of the other, but it seemed like a good start.

But she didn’t have the power to convince Beryl of that. Her mind jumped straight to the most powerful person she’d seen today. Lady Connor could. If she could ingratiate herself, perhaps the armorer would listen to her idea. The thought sent a shiver down her spine, but she ignored it. Still, if she was that powerful, was it likely that she would not fear a mislabeled quest? Meg would have to find a reason for her to care.

Looking back over at…dammit, she’d missed his name. She knew he told them, but with everything going on, the name slipped through like water through a sieve. Still, “Since our friends aren’t here, I can go with you to the infirmary. I figure it’d be best to meet her when I’m in one piece,” minus the bruises and scrapes she could feel from her dodging, “first.” She had wanted to see if she could get a supply of bandages and thread if needed, but now she thought it might be best to have someone with healing knowledge on each quest. Maybe she too could learn something about healing.

Callan

Callan went to pull a wooden sword from the weapon rack, but the handle came clean off. The equipment here had certainly seen better days. He carelessly tossed the block of wood over his shoulder before continuing his search.

“These’ll do.” He announced, once he’d found two semi-decent weapons. He turned and threw one of the swords Toby’s way.

“You ready? ‘Cause I ain’t gonna go easy on yer this time.” He threatened with a grin.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

________

Percival

Percival returned to the table where he’d found Ramirez earlier. It was still free, so must have been known amongst the other hunters for being the Veteran’s spot.

He sat down and pulled up the baggy sleeves on his borrowed shirt, before delving back into Ramirez’s monster compendium.

Balthazar
Interactions: Anat Yonsisac Yonsisac / Meg Lost Echo Lost Echo / Alice Firelie Firelie

Without turning his back to Alice, he could feel the magician approaching his person. While both of them had only met in that fateful day, the notes in his tome acted as a guide, a compass to identify those which he had taken notes of. It was useful, lest the old man’s heart gave out with the sudden whispers penetrating his ears. He wondered what it was about, her demeanor stranger, foreigner, of what he had experienced earlier. Certainly, it was a serious matter. One which the man would rather not postpone until his fatigue was evaluated. Maybe a tankard of mead would do the trick to fully restore his vigor. And yet… his curiosity about the book he had set his eyes on wrestled against the urgency of the exchange he had to have with the shadow magus.

So many questions, so little time. The man wished to live for thousands of years to learn everything there was to be learned. If only he had access to a certain chalice… “I… I…” - the old man struggled. The grimoire almost called onto him. He HAD to know what it was. And yet… The man stored the quill within his robe once again, the big tome he was holding was closed shut, being fastened, once again, on his belt. He approached the woman that was already sitting on a table devoid of other patrons - “I am gracious for your generous offer, but it seems an urgent matter just came into being.” Balthazar sounded defeated, in a sense, apologetic. Only he knew the Herculean effort was to decide on the priority of his actions - “But… I shall return and pick up on your offer, if you are available, when I am done. I believe we will have much to discuss.” Concluding, the man’s attention was directed at Meg. The thought of potential waste, if it isn’t tapped. A grievous crime - “I do think we also have to talk about your arcane capabilities.” He decided to not go into detail too much, as the girl appeared to have a lot in her mind.

As if he was a magician, the man put both his hands together in front of him and, moving them in opposite directions, his black oak staff materialized out of thin air. It floated for a moment, before being caught with his right hand. Using it as to support himself, he nodded bowed slightly to both girls, before turning his back on them. And the started to make his way towards Alice’s room. The thoughts of his mind were various. One, in particular, that he had kept away since re-appearing in the guild hall was the daemonic energies he felt around the town. Strong, savage, unrelenting, profane. Something he had tried to become attuned to a long time ago, but failed. He would have to go back to that town, eventually - “I MUST have it."

The elderly man’s steps were steady, the end of his staff hitting the floor with each step. Stopping in front of the woman’s bedroom, he knocked, four times, as instructed. The look on his face was stern, a morbid curiosity that grew with each second he waited for Alice to answer the door.

Genii Genii
Beryl's Office
After Rika departed the room, Pestle struck. He laid his head on the desk in front of Beryl with a plop. And turned on the charm.
-Or what he thought was charm.
Being a grotesque reincarnation of a snake isn't quite the same as being a cute kitten, but nonetheless Pestle attempted to give 'cute' eyes at the half orc in an attempt to endear himself.

Oli Beju Oli Beju
Training Yard
Searching for his next target, Siwai glared, red clouding his vision. Rika's voice snapped him out of the trance. He looked at the destroyed equipment and then his knuckles.
Siwai turned to face Rika, something like embarrassment glittered in his eyes for a moment. "Y-yeah. I'm not doing so great right... now?" He was unsteady, unsure of what to do with his feelings of failure. "Balthazar said...he said to let this failure push me further. I..." Siwai's hands trembled, he looked down at the ground. "...I don't know how to do that."

Wait, did he mean me?” Her thoughts derailed like a train wreck. Arcane? She had magic, but she didn’t think it was on par with even Anat’s Dropsies, let alone anything else. Oh, he likely realized I was weak and needed training. I doubt he’d take the time directly but, “Hopefully he can suggest someone who can train me a bit. I really do need it.” Certainly before going out again.

She glanced around the room, trying to make the faces feel familiar until she landed on one that was. "Hey," she nudged Anat, then pointed. "It looks like we're just at the wrong table." She laughed, shaking her head. "What is Percival wearing?"

Last edited:
Tobias looked at the wooden stick and shrugged. "okie doki, lets do this again." He laughed taking up a steady stance and faced the wobbling siren.

-----
Ramirez returned with two stacked plates and a tankard each, "ere ya go Percy, eat up!"

Interaction: Meg and now Barry. Soon Ramires and Percy Lost Echo Lost Echo Genii Genii

Ana after orintating her thoughts sigh, but soon hear Meg and her mood changed to a calm positive demeanor and nodded "Yes Meg, He's right you have a lot of potential and, coming from what seems a true arcane master.....There is no better person to say you do other than him" smiling as....Meg needed correct training especially after all Ana has heard and now seen...she will need it.
Feeling her nudge and soon her pale glance looking towards the direction, she saw Percy and soon Ramirez walking in with a plate and tankard for each....That only made Ana hungry and she imagined even more so meg. And what was percy wearing...seemed a bit to maybe unfit for him? "I have no clue Meg but i can tell you right now, that is not his" With a soft chuckle. With that she straighten up and nodded "Alright let's go, i will get our food for us, Take a seat at there table, we kept them waiting long enough...." she said a bit even embarrassed....well they planed this back in the bath house and still not met, and now we have the perfect chance so best not miss it! Standing up and walking towards the canteen to get some food....copying Ramirez in a way as she had little knowledge of what was available. Maybe she wont drink, she is not much of a alcoholic enjoyer, maybe they had freshly squeezed juices' or maybe a very light mead? she did long ago try this tasty honey mead...maybe they had it...
Walking towards the canteen and so far, the food look great. But now she had the itching urge....As she gathered the food she notice the stout dwarf behind the usual position at the bar,and decided to ask him "Hello, Berry? sorry to interrupt but....is it possible, if available, to have 2 tankards of honey brewed mead?" Ana ask politely and with a smile, already with both plates of food ready after some minutes from the available selection.

Meg blinked. But she was a freak. Or was her magic potential because of her freakishness? It had never occurred to her that the reason for her ears might be something good. But still, “I want to learn as much as I can.” About everything to be honest, but she was trying to rein that in.

As Anat split off, Meg headed to the table in the back with Percival and Ramirez. “Sorry we’re late.” She gave a sheepish grin as she sat down beside Ramirez. She wanted to question him about Connor, but then she noticed Percival’s book. “What are you reading?” She'd never actually read a book, but the mysteries she knew they held always drew her in.

Urzoth took in the return of the hunters with a frown. Failures happened, but rarely on that scale. They wondered what the original quest was. There wouldn’t have been time for a notice to be made to help the town, so likely they intervened when they saw the town under attack. Siwai likely insisted; he might take each quest seriously, but he cared about the harm of innocents more. It wasn’t necessarily a bad trait, just one that was going to get beaten down until it was gone. This failure was likely the first blow.

Still, the dog quest ended up with a much more difficult fight than most rookies could take. Their eyes took in sheet-boy now clothed in what was likely Ramirez’s clothes--he looked like a little boy playing dress-up. Beryl hated it when she lost rookies. Was she too overwhelmed with the number of quests? A glance at the quest board overflowing paid heed to that theory. Urzoth would have to offer to help go over them. They could continue to hunt if they sent one of their bonded instead.

They looked toward the training yard, wondering if it’d be best to follow. Callan was more alcohol than siren at the moment, though Tobias seemed oddly steady for all the drink he had in him. They’d likely have to wait for their conversation until he was hungover in the morning. Plus Kenai wanted to come out to help Siwai. Wrestling a bear was a great way to get rid of anger. And Kenai had experience with failures and mistakes. He understood better than they did what was going on with the bird.

Still, they looked at Lander first, head cocked, “Well, that was a lot.” They deadpanned, for it was the best way to start all conversations. Shaking their head, they offered, "Want to spar? After you're done?" They knew Lander preferred to be aware of what was going on, regardless of how much of a loner he was. They turned and wheeled outside, entering the training yard, then pausing to take everything in.

Callan

Right off the bat, Tobais received an unimpressed look from Callan.

“… don’t say that. Say ‘f*ck yeah… or ‘do your worst’… not okie doki…” The Siren complained. He had his work cut out with this one. Although… the phrase was actually quite a good taunt, because he immediately wanted to whack the man.

He mirrored Tobias’ movements, raising his sword into a guard position, and his tail flicked behind him like a tetchy cat.

_________

Percival

“Thank you Ramirez.” Percival closed the book so it wouldn’t get soiled. Thirsty, he picked up the tankard first and took a long drink, earning himself a frothy moustache once he was done.

Percy quickly stood up as Meg joined them. “Lady Meg.” He politely greeted, then sat down again once the water mage was seated.

“Oh, this belongs to Ramirez. It’s a journal containing images and details about all of the monsters he has encountered.” The teen explained, carefully moving the tome closer so that Meg could take a look.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo Lost Echo Lost Echo

_________

Barry (npc)

“Aye.” Barry the barman gave Anat a nod and disappeared for a moment while he prepared the two drinks. Once he was done, he placed the overflowing tankards down onto the counter.

“I’ll start a tab for yer.” The dwarf added when he noticed Anat had her hands full.

Yonsisac Yonsisac

_________

Beryl (npc)

“What in Herne’s horns-” Beryl grimaced once she finally noticed the undead python. That explained away the lingering stench at least.

When Pestle continued to stare at her she reluctantly dared to ask, “… can I help you?”

nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams

Last edited:
Genii Genii ((tune in next time when Pestle speaks for the first time ever lol))

Beryl's Office
The snake gave Beryl his best puppy impression and nodded slightly before going to the door. He lifted all the way up so she could see him above the desk.
He nodded at the door and then looked out into the hallway.

Intercating: Ramirez,Meg and Percy Genii Genii Lost Echo Lost Echo Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

"Thank you very much berry, be seeing you soon" she stated as, she will be back to either pay the tab or get a drink, as soon she got the meads, her other held both tankards by there handle and the other the food, she felt like a waitress. Meg was said she worked at tavern so she was no stranger to alcohol, something soft wont hurt the belly. Walking towards the table carefully and at a slow pace as Berry REALLY filled the tankards, she could see the rim bearing the near spilling drinks. And soon she saw the table getting near with a smile "Hello there sorry we are late, i was getting food for Meg and me, glad to see you two are alright" Sliding both plates on the large table and one towards Meg, she then placed the Tankard on Meg's side "Hope you don't mind something soft, thought you might like it" She said sitting on the opposite of Percy and next to Ramirez. Percy seems to be reading a book, she could not get a glance what it was but with Meg interested and that made Ana smile, seems Meg was VERY curious girl. As long her curiosity doesn't get her in trouble there should be no issue.

Ana rather eat first before discussing about plans or quest, she has learn through the years that a army works on there stomach and, a empty stomach only leads to certain defeat or worse, distractions. She wished to get her bodies need out of the way and not take a quest that could cause....more issues. But first taste test...she took a sip from the edge of the overfilled tankard and...yep this was exactly how she remember...soft sweet but you could feel the alcohol still, not a drinker BUT there was...exceptions. "Ramirez, did you guys check any of the quest? or not yet?" she asked as maybe they were looking as they waited.

Rika’s smile faded, acknowledging the seriousness of the boy’s dejection. “Easier said than done, I’m afraid.” Recent imbroglios notwithstanding, she was all too familiar with such tormented dejection wrought by failure. “Siwai…” She took from the yard and toward the hybrid, eventually standing at his side and looking around at the destroyed equipment. “I can’t begin to imagine what you saw, but all you can do is your best. It’s really all any of us can do, isn’t it?” She wasn’t sure if it was just his stature, his jejune personality, or the fact that Hannah’s doting motherliness was truly rubbing off on her… “I’m sorry that it happened that way, and while I’m sure you’ll fight again, soon, because you're just strong and never could stay still for long…" She let out a small laugh, "it’s a relief for me to know that you and the others are safe, even if only for now.” She placed her hand gently on his shoulder, trying to reassure him; a measure that always felt strange to her as back home, unsolicited touching betwixt a lady and a gentleman, (even one that could easily be mistaken for a child) was considered unseemly. But in this occasion, maternal instinct was the order for the time being. It was curious that it was only during solemn occasions that it seemed her best nature was brought to the fore.

Last edited:
Ramirez looked up from his own plate then shook his head "No, was elping Percy ere, turned out the lad had no spare clothes so had to rustle up some of mine for him."
Yonsisac Yonsisac Lost Echo Lost Echo
-----
Tobias grinned and charged at the Siren with a joyous yell

Oli Beju Oli Beju
Siwai was trying to hold back from crying as Rika took the time to console him. He quietly listened to every thing she had to say.
But the moment she placed a motherly hand on his shoulder, he couldn't hold back a single tear any longer. "So many people." He covered his face with his hands and sat on the ground with a thump. "All gone. Those monsters slaughtered them without a thought."
He sobbed and tried to regain control of his emotions. "By the time we got there...so many were already gone. T-thought I could save even a few. C-couldn't even... Do that."

Siwai looked up at Rika, the fur-like feathers on his face matted with tears and blood. "My sifus would be so disappointed in me. Kirin-ou too. They could have done it you know."

Oh Siwai…” She said softly. He’d devolved at this point to tears, and her compassion for the spectre was overwhelming her more austere nature. When he looked up, she was gracious enough to sit along with him and wipe at least a few of his tears away. “You did all you could, and I daresay your teacher would be proud of you. This is but one failure, but you’re still alive, and will have many trials ahead of you yet, my friend.” She looked him in the eye, a seriousness to her gaze. “The world is never short of people that will need the help that only you can give.” With that, she stood, holding out a hand. “And you won’t be able to help them if you aren’t on your own two feet, right?” She looked to the guild hall and then back at him, nodding in the direction of the place where the food was at. “Come. Hannah needs to have a look at you, and afterward, we can grab a bite to eat. Something tells me we’ve both been neglecting our stomachs today.” She smiled once more, and tried to manage a small laugh, and then looked over to Callan and Tobias about to duel, Callan clearly besotted with drink and masculine battle frenzied vainglory, and Tobias… already engaged in a like battle cry. Suddenly the girl felt the need to leave the courtyard that was soon en route to become a crater.

nathanKmcwilliams nathanKmcwilliams Genii Genii Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

Last edited:
Callan

Clack! Whump! Tok!

Callan was pushed back a step or two as he blocked Tobias’ energetic swings. His hungover future-self was going to hate him in the morning - especially after questing all day, but for now he was having great fun.

He deflected Tobias’ next hit then went on the attack himself. He may have been shorter and tipsy (to say the least), but Callan had well over twenty years of sword and combat experience under his belt.

“You’re not completely terrible.” He praised the rookie… kind of.

Gwenymoo Gwenymoo

______

Beryl

The puppy dog act wasn’t working on the Guild Master, but she was curious to know what the hideous creature wanted (and who was responsible for it).

“Are you trying to get out?” Beryl stepped away from her task for a moment to go and open the door for the Python.

Alice Evergarden

A soft click rung out as the lock of the witch’s door moved. The door creaked as it opened a crack. “You are early.” Alice’s voice rang out from deeper within the room. She didn’t seem quite so distressed now. Somber sure, but soft. “Inside. Quickly please. Lock the door behind you. No more words until that door is closed.”

A mage proficient as Balthezer could detect the strong magical presence within the room, a presence not before seen in the witch. Still, proficient as he was, its school was impossible to place. From outside the room, atleast.

Maxxob Maxxob

Interaction: Meg, Ramirez and Percy Genii Genii Lost Echo Lost Echo Gwenymoo Gwenymoo
Location: Ana at table looking for second opinions where they will die what quest they should choose.

"Alright then...hold up" Ana took one quick bite of her food, politely cleaning her mouth with a napkin and stood up from the table excusing herself, this time paying close attention. She made her way towards the quest board. Upon reading such, And reading, there seems to be a few quest that got her attention, there was a red skull one that she...did not want to think about yet as a rookie. But three got her attention very well: The exorcism in the Bloomsbury Estate, A Mystery on Darby and a Extermination in Merton. She WAS and still is a cleric, maybe this exorcism was up her alley, maybe would be easier than she could expect. She even brought her holy uniform to the guild, left in her room, just in case she might needed and she still knows her cleric spells very well, especially by the nature: turn undead, Holy preach and Shield of faith would be useful against these beast...but as well to make sure her allies are not eaten by ghouls. Pondering....She took all three and walked back to the table seeking second opinions in the matter.

"So....I found these to be more suitable, but would like second opinions." She sat down and began once again to eat but slowly as she though....The mystery had no gold amount, the extermination stated a large creature so it could be a issue and judging from the gold amount, might be more than she thinks. Ramirez has been here for years so maybe he would know better. Ana was a bit more concern choosing red skull quest as she doesn't feel ready, especially her equipment is what she only has as of now. Pluss ramirez is the only one with more year experience then them so, maybe he knows what is best for Rookies like them. If none of them suited or was no discloser, maybe we should check the rest and see, but the other was taken...and the other was red skull, back to the mines where Ramirez was...Maybe that one would be good to since ramirez already knows where, But for Ana these seem the easiest so far.

Balthazar
Interactions: Alice Firelie Firelie

From the hallway, the old mage could easily notice how brimming with energies that place was. While he had to forgo his curiosity about Anat’s grimoire for the moment, maybe he could learn something else from Alice. He was looking forward to seeing her magic applied, but unfortunately the circumstances didn’t allow it to be. He did as he was instructed, stepping inside her bedroom and locking the door behind him. Balthazar scanned the room, as he entered it, both to find the girl in question and possibly to try to decipher if there was a certain place where the forces he was feeling emanated from. The old magus was silent, waiting for the white-hatted mage to take the first step, almost like a game of chess.

Last edited:
Gol snapped awake and alert as he sat up in his chair, he had fallen asleep at his table. He did a dizzying head turn as he checked out his surrounds, 'Yep still in the hall, I wasn't stolen.' He let out a soft chuckle to himself as he looks around his surroundings more in detail, he either wasn't asleep long, or was asleep long enough for the sun to set and come back up. He looked down at his table and saw his self-made bestiary open wide on the "Larger Than Common Earth Worm" page, he then inquired to himself, "I really should do a round of renaming, also... where was I?" It was then when Gol remembered the quest he had taken interest in, and his search for a veteran to do a round of interrogation with. He tucked his bestiary into his backpack and pulled out a shining rag and cleaned his left prothesis of any grime and stashed that too. He popped his joints and started looking from person to person, looking for anyone who might fill his requirements of someone to bother, not minding social cues he started staring at people assessing them, he locked eyes with a few while assessing them.

Last edited:

Alice Evergarden

To say the room was a mess would be an understatement. Alice’s belongings, clothes and rations and coin, lay scattered across the floor joined by a spray of shattered porcelain. Atop her hay filled bed, Alice sat hunched over faced away from Balthazar, hands held at her face. She shuttered slightly as the wizard entered into the room. No, not shuddered. Something acted upon her, rattled her form forcefully.

The clock on the table. Thats what did it, surely. It was the source of the energy influx, an ornate varnished clockwork piece, small enough to be set on a nightstand, too big to be held in one hand. An ordinary clock were it not for the fact that it was set ajar on the shelf with half of its form buried into the dresser it sat on. There was a slight buzz as the clock vibrated in place.

Then Alice snapped her fingers and the hands of the clock whirred to life.

“TOCK, TICK”​

Each hand moved counterclockwise, variably speeding up and slowing down seemingly at random. As the device came alive the aura of magical energy suddenly dropped past what should be possible. The air, just before rife with magical energy, was entirely void of any trace of energy at all.

“TOCK, TICK”​

“We called it a well. Conjure any magic to your body to cast and you will be ripped to shreds.” Alice stated plainly, sitting up and facing the wizard. The first and most alarming fact was that the witch was without a left eye, though the socket was not vacant. Replaced instead by a bulbous, tar like mass that pushed out of her socket and dribbled down her cheek, dripping slowly onto the breast of her pure white robe, tainting it black. She hopped off the bed and stood facing Balthazar, a neutral expression upon her face. Her right hand hung limply at her side, a dagger lodged loosely in her grasp.

“TOCK, TICK”​

The device continued its pull as Alice spoke. “Balthazar. Seeker of knowledge, wizard of old. That is you, correct?” She spoke in a low voice, each word slow and calculated. Alice’s tongue slipped out from her lips and licked some dribbling ooze from her cheek.

Maxxob Maxxob

Percival apparently was going to go somewhere, but thought better of it and sat back down. How strange, did he worry she would judge him for his clothing? He needed to tie it to be safe; Meg assumed that was true out hunting as it was in the kitchen, but they looked well made.

Then he spoke of the book and the halfbreed was enthralled, “So many? How long have you been hunting Ramirez?” Anat returned quickly with drinks, and Meg accepted hers, immediately taking a long sip from it. Wiping off the dampness with the back of her hand, she smiled at her new friend. What a good choice. The sweet honey was exactly what she needed after the stress of today.

She blinked in surprise as Ramirez spoke of what they’d been doing while they were separated. That was why he’d forgone modesty and run out of the baths in just a shirt. Still, why not clean it? Then Meg remembered that he was a noble, and they didn’t clean their clothes. She made a note to not volunteer to do it for him. Anat seemed to think that classes could intermingle here, so let him learn. “Don’t worry, I was wearing everything I owned this morning as well.” She smiled at the boy, deciding to treat him as he seemed to want to be treated, as if she was his equal.

Beginning on her food, she filled in the space Anat left to go check on potential quests, “So Ramirez, do a lot of your quests end up with surprises like ours?” She needed to use his expertise. After the major failure of the last questers, she wanted to be most prepared. She began eating and asked between bites, “How many quests are we required to do in say, a week?” These are questions she should have already asked before she signed up, but then she assumed death would be from her own incompetence, not others’. Anat returned quickly and held three pieces of paper. Squinting, she slowly read each of the slips. “So you chose a…sea monster, something stealing men, and something terrifying. I’d take the men one. I mean,” she glanced at the two males. "Maybe that's not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back