• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Mirgris Mirgris Sherwood Sherwood

What do you guys think?

Heya, Mirgris! I enjoy brainstorming to help other people out, so here's a brainstorm for you! =)

The Dannigan Disclaimer: When asked for my opinion, I'll give you exactly that because I don't see how a person can improve with anything less than an honest opinion. If I feel a person is honestly asking for improvement (which I believe you are), then I provide my honest opinion. So, here's mine, for what it's worth, given for your benefit. And remember - I'm just one guy with one opinion. That's all. So here it is! =)

I think your character is dead meat, especially if they're caught alone.

Disclaimer: As the new player here and just in case you happen to be wondering, no, Sherwood is not a Player-Killer GM (or I wouldn't be playing in his games). He's Player-friendly and wants everyone to have a good time, but... dice are still dice and we've taken on some heavy hitters in this game and plan to do so in the near future. This is just fine if your character is supposed to be a non-combat support stay-behind-back-at-camp character, but as a Player, you're probably going to be awfully bored if we go into combat without your Character. Every PC we've ever had join this game were battle-capable an in the party during fights. Yours so far, in my eyes, is the most vulnerable.

Mind you, I'm not here to point fingers - I'm here to help you, my fellow player, improve. =)

Here's why:

Your character's Physical Prowess Attribute is 16 (+1 to Strike, Parry, Dodge). This is the big one. Our lowest PC's P.P. Attribute is 27 (+8 to Strike, Parry, and Dodge before Hand to Hand and Racial bonuses) and a few of us are really built to last (see my character, Snowfall, on Characters Page 2 if you'd like one very detailed example). Sherwood has to throw things that challenge this party at its current level of ability and that means baddies with bonuses that are very likely to eat alive a Character with a P.P. of 16.

Your character is coming into a heavy-combat game with Hand to Hand: Basic. Basic means your character is one step away from being entirely untrained. Most of your party has Hand to Hand: Martial Arts with the Strike, Parry, Dodge, Critical bonuses, etc. to match. Plus, casting spells often takes up multiple Actions, Actions your Character doesn't seem to have? (5 Actions per Round. What is that? Two spells per Round?) Plus, there's a lack of Physical Skills here that might get the Character into trouble (I don't see Prowl, so they may get into trouble if they're trying to sneak around?).

Terra
Number of Attacks: 7
Strike: +11
Parry: +10
Dodge: +10
Roll: +10

As best as I can tell, your Character kind of looks like this right now?
Mirgris's Techno-Wizard
Number of Attacks: 5
Strike: +2
Parry: +3
Dodge: +3
Roll: +2

Please correct me if I missed something?

So when Sherwood's baddies are tossing Strikes of +5 to +7 (I'm just tossing numbers here), our Characters have a reasonable chance of mathematically defending themselves. Yours? Um, owwie? =)

Furthermore, your Character's P.P.E. bank is roughly equal to Terra's (our Atlantean Battle Mage with 3 mighty automatons). That's great when you have 3 automatons fighting with you but even for a Character in a support role, I think, during long-term combat, you are going to run dry of P.P.E. more quickly than the rest of us (some of us are packing personal P.P.E. batteries while your Character seems to only have them on their vehicle).

Also, your Character's light armor of 50 M.D. (when the shield is inactive) means a possible death sentence should a creature like those we've been fighting Critically Hit your Character when your Character is not expecting it. The Telekinetic Shield is only good while its up, and I don't see any information there about it being instantly activated upon being attacked. I think this leaves your character open to dying via Surprise Attack.

Plus, it appears to be non-environmental armor (so your Character is still open to gases, extreme temperatures, unable to breathe underwater without casting a spell, and the like). And while the Telekinetic Shield is both a welcome and powerful addition, you might end up burning more of your Character's Actions and aforementioned P.P.E. bank trying to stay alive (keep the spell up) than putting that spell-power in places you'd probably rather have it. Correct me if my data is wrong. Please. =)

Recommendations: In the spirit of wanting to keep your character around, here is my advice. None of us are playing normal humans (at least unaugmented humans like Silanon's Crazy). I think either playing a Mega-damage being or having access to some form of easily-renewable, highly-protective, and convenient Mega-damage protection (or both!) is a very strong step in the right direction. About half of our Characters are Mega-damage beings (I think Psychie's Terra and D. Rex's Daisy and yours are the only ones who aren't).

If I were you, I might ask for a larger P.P.E. battery (minimum 50 P.P.E.) use as backup.

I might check out other races in the game that seem fun (even a normal human with perhaps some special gear or powers to toughen them up). While the Staff of Power is a great device and your spell selection is diverse, I don't think it's enough to get your Character out of trouble if he gets into a bad spot, especially if they're alone - and we are planning to storm a pyramid full of stuff that is going to be tough for our experienced group to take on.

Oh, and before it gets said, "Hey! Mirgris is just playing a support character! The baddies will go after our big guns first!" My rebuttal to this is, "Are you willing to bet Mirgris's new Character on that?" Because at this stage, I'm not. Not yet. =)

Again, this is just an opinion. Use or discard as you please. =)

I could probably up the damage by adding an ISP/PPE cost.
I have a few detection and lightning spells, could make it harder to dodge probably.

I could probably do something more clever or esoteric with the right spells.

I might make it capable of destroying all electrical equipment in the blast range.
Well Daisy has a bunch of ISP and nothing to spend it on. Though with a +19 to hit, I could bullseye a womprat back home with a T-16. Blindfolded.

Daisy isnt a big fan of magic, being a psy-hound. But she does like destruction. I think she would be interested in any sort of upgrade. Especially for her newest addition. If our technowizard likes playing with lazers.

Your character's Physical Prowess Attribute is 16 (+1 to Strike, Parry, Dodge). This is the big one. Our lowest PC's P.P. Attribute is 27 (+8 to Strike, Parry, and Dodge before Hand to Hand and Racial bonuses) and a few of us are really built to last (see my character, Snowfall, on Characters Page 2 if you'd like one very detailed example). Sherwood has to throw things that challenge this party at its current level of ability and that means baddies with bonuses that are very likely to eat alive a Character with a P.P. of 16.

Sadly there is nothing I can do about that, I rolled terribly almost across the board.
Maybe Sherwood Sherwood Would be open to me rerolling, but I can't afford the number of skills it would take to get to a decent PP, because I need a LOT of skills for techno-wizardry.

I could probably free up 2, maybe 3-4 skills if I really tried.
that dodge is a problem for ranged damage, I don't care much for strike or parry because guns are spells are my deal.

Furthermore, your Character's P.P.E. bank is roughly equal to Terra's (our Atlantean Battle Mage with 3 mighty automatons). That's great when you have 3 automatons fighting with you but even for a Character in a support role, I think, during long-term combat, you are going to run dry of P.P.E. more quickly than the rest of us (some of us are packing personal P.P.E. batteries while your Character seems to only have them on their vehicle).

Well I have 25 PPE from armor, 25 PPE from the bike, and like 200 on the staff.
I'd be open to increasing the size of them though.

Though that was again a place were the rolls kind of screwed me, but also it's worth noting my PPE cost should be incredibly low, TW devices are normally very cheap.

Recommendations: In the spirit of wanting to keep your character around, here is my advice. None of us are playing normal humans (at least unaugmented humans like Silanon's Crazy). I think either playing a Mega-damage being or having access to some form of easily-renewable, highly-protective, and convenient Mega-damage protection (or both!) is a very strong step in the right direction. About half of our Characters are Mega-damage beings (I think Psychie's Terra and D. Rex's Daisy and yours are the only ones who aren't).

Actually the shield stays up until destroyed, so Ambushes are a non issue, it's also worth nothing that I can charge the shield, staff and gun and then recover to my cap. Which saves me some like another 50ish PPE.

Also it's only 1 action to reform the shield at full MDC
So in theory I could eat 1 action a round, and just refresh it back to 100 every round.

I will add in prowl and I do have two stealth spells, so I actually suspect I will be the best suited at that.

In regards to actions I have the same amount I'd have with expert or martial arts, so that isn't a big deal, also spells 1-5 are one action each, and all my future stuff will be done through devices to only be one action each. I could probably afford a bit more damage though, and will add prowl to my sheet, which leaves the dodge issue but honestly, my rolls were abysmall nothing I can do about that without GM approval, though I'm willing to look into MDC creatures.

Purr Purr
As for mere humans. Daisy is the closest to "average mortal" that can be in our group. Psy-hounds arent too different in stats from humans. She just has a shiny shell to protect her.

We also found a bunch of shells that Mirgris could use, if they like power armor.

I say, with no sarcasm, that I'm looking forward to someone with worse rolls than me.

My stats were so aggressively bad, if they had been worse, I would of got the bonus for low stats to raise stats I cared about.

So they were in the perfect goldilocks zone of perfectly bad, slightly worse and I can boost the good ones.
1 point better and I get to roll the bonus 1d6.

Literally either direction would be good, I got almost mathematically perfect as bad as you can get.

My stats were so aggressively bad, if they had been worse, I would of got the bonus for low stats to raise stats I cared about.

So they were in the perfect goldilocks zone of perfectly bad, slightly worse and I can boost the good ones.
1 point better and I get to roll the bonus 1d6.

Literally either direction would be good, I got almost mathematically perfect as bad as you can get.
Lol tha fully I had good rolls. My problem is that during play I roll a statistically improbably number of 1s. Which somehow correlates to being more frequent the cooler I'm trying to look.

Purr Purr
As for mere humans. Daisy is the closest to "average mortal" that can be in our group. Psy-hounds arent too different in stats from humans. She just has a shiny shell to protect her.

"Average mortal?" With those combat stats? Not to debate you, dear D., but I don't see it that way, and I don't mind disagreeing. =)

Mirgris's Techno-Wizard's combat stats (roughly)
Hand to Hand Damage +0

Daisy out of her Glitter Boy.
Base
Melee Actions: +6
Strike: +9
Parry: +13
Dodge: +13
Roll with impact: +7
Hth Damage: +18

And on a fight of equal footing you think "closer to average mortal" Daisy is going down first? Sorry, I just don't see it. =)

"Average mortal?" With those combat stats? Not to debate you, dear D., but I don't see it that way, and I don't mind disagreeing. =)

Hand to Hand Damage +0

Base

And on a fight of equal footing you think "closer to average mortal" Daisy is going down first? Sorry, I just don't see it. =)

I have +6 with my revolver!

You sure do! And a cool revolver it is! =)

I don't mean to pick on the new Character. Really! This is not my game (or as an Italian buddy of mine likes to say with a smile, "Not my circus; not my monkeys!"). For all I know, Sherwood has something else going on that won't endanger Mirgris's new character. I honestly don't mind being wrong - what I don't like being is inaccurate. So, thanks for clearing up some of the things I missed (like the Staff of Power acting as 200 P.P.E. battery; totally missed that!). =)

You sure do! And a cool revolver it is! =)

I don't mean to pick on the new Character. Really! This is not my game (or as an Italian buddy of mine likes to say with a smile, "Not my circus; not my monkeys!"). For all I know, Sherwood has something else going on that won't endanger Mirgris's new character. I honestly don't mind being wrong - what I don't like being is inaccurate. So, thanks for clearing up some of the things I missed (like the Staff of Power acting as 200 P.P.E. battery; totally missed that!). =)

I don't think you are picking on me at all.

So If Sherwood Sherwood Is okay with me taking the sniper skill and using a revolver (it sort of qualifies, I mean if you can use a bow and arrow, and any single shot weapon, I think it's fair)
I could with sniper and a red dot laser sight actually get a small bonus when making called shots, sneak my bonus to hit up to 7 or 8.

I mean trick shooting happens with revolvers and snipers can use fucking arrows. (Far less accuracy and range than a revolver).

Mirgris Mirgris Good! =)

May I make another recommendation concerning Skills? I am seriously considering this Skill for my Snowfall when next we rise in experience level, but perhaps you could make use of it now? Sherwood approved my previous character's (Gradicus the Red Edge) use of the melee version so I don't imagine he would "shoot" this Skill down. =)

Please check out "W.P. Sharpshooter" from the Skills list Sherwood uses on his Character page. I think you might find it useful. =)

EDIT: I tried copy/pasting the information, but I can't get it to function due to the type of webpage it is.

Mirgris Mirgris Good! =)

May I make another recommendation concerning Skills? I am seriously considering this Skill for my Snowfall when next we rise in experience level, but perhaps you could make use of it now? Sherwood approved my previous character's (Gradicus the Red Edge) use of the melee version so I don't imagine he would "shoot" this Skill down. =)

Please check out "W.P. Sharpshooter" from the Skills list Sherwood uses on his Character page. I think you might find it useful. =)

EDIT: I tried copy/pasting the information, but I can't get it to function due to the type of webpage it is.

Maybe, I'm already needing to cut a skill for prowl, and off the top of my head I have one more I can cut, maybe I can find a second.

Relying on aimed shots would half my attacks, but I'd always hit, not that it would do much with meidocore damage.

You might also consider Gymnastics or Acrobatics as both offer Prowl for free (albeit at a slightly lower percentage, but the other benefits are worth consideration)?

You might also consider Gymnastics or Acrobatics as both offer Prowl for free (albeit at a slightly lower percentage, but the other benefits are worth consideration)?
If I reroll my stats then yeah they are worth considering I have that +16% anyway and depending on what type of skill I take it as I can probably get a few %more.

Agreed.

If Sherwood allows you to reroll your Attributes (which hasn't happened yet to my knowledge, but you never know), then what have you got to lose?

Whatever happens, Sherwood I feel will be fair. He's not going to have you in the game if your Character is clearly going to get killed. If your Character is a human, then I think you should stick with what you want to play. I can't recommend changing a Character concept you like just for higher Attributes when there are other ways around it.

Whatever happens, Sherwood I feel will be fair. He's not going to have you in the game if your Character is clearly going to get killed. If your Character is a human, then I think you should stick with what you want to play. I can't recommend changing a Character concept you like just for higher Attributes when there are other ways around it.

Well I'm not super attached to human if there is something that is only minor different cosmetically, atlantian, or elf for instance.

I also think I'm survivable if not terribly useful in combat.
So it isn't that much of an issue.

Edit: I'll see about making the Revolver 7d6+7 instead of 5d6. I'll have to increase the cost a point or two per shot, but I think it's a worthy trade off.

Last edited:
I don't know about that (terribly useful in combat). You're clearly creative and that's the key to playing magic-users in Rifts, in my opinion. I think you'll find ways to be effective if I've read you right. =)

Hand to Hand Damage +0

Base

Good rolls, buffing skills, upped levels, and hth expert, I'd mostly like to think. And a bit of wolf blood doesnt hurt.

Though I wouldn't put her on footing with an average Joe. She is a rootin tootin mercenary afterall. Being a grumpy widow adds to it too.

Well I'm not super attached to human if there is something that is only minor different cosmetically, atlantian, or elf for instance.

I also think I'm survivable if not terribly useful in combat.
So it isn't that much of an issue.

Edit: I'll see about making the Revolver 7d6+7 instead of 5d6. I'll have to increase the cost a point or two per shot, but I think it's a worthy trade off.
Be dog boy. Those are neat.

I don't know about that (terribly useful in combat). You're clearly creative and that's the key to playing magic-users in Rifts, in my opinion. I think you'll find ways to be effective if I've read you right. =)
At least they know what they are doing! I have enough trouble juggling normal char in rifts lol. Gave up and flying blind, mostly.

You're doing just fine, D. Do give yourself a little credit. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back