• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Mirgris Mirgris Welcome to Sherwood's Rifts game, Mirgris! I checked out some of your latest post activity when you showed interest in this game - I like your Goblin chemist and the scene with him trying to get into the truck! Well-written. =)

There are eight Attributes in Palladium games (like this one). Sherwood has written up a Character guide here. =)

Mirgris Mirgris Welcome to Sherwood's Rifts game, Mirgris! I checked out some of your latest post activity when you showed interest in this game - I like your Goblin chemist and the scene with him trying to get into the truck! Well-written. =)

There are eight Attributes in Palladium games (like this one). Sherwood has written up a Character guide here. =)

Yes I caught my mistake with stats (Well one of them at least)

The PC guide says on stat can be maxed which I'm requesting intelligence, since I'm so skill focused as TW.
Lowering me to 7 and I forgot speed was rolled since it provides no bonuses.

I'm glad you enjoyed the goblin he was a very fun PC it's a shame that game died.

Anyway I'll be doing a somewhat tesla inspired techno-wizard/artificer and I am quite excited to join.

Thank you all for being so welcoming to me.

Now there are quite a few rifts books so I could use some assistance.

So I've got skills, and spells done. (I am a god of engineering)
(Note to self Change Pilot Jet pack to aircraft because small personal flyers count as planes not jet-packs)

What I could use some assistance with is my vehicle.

I get one for free a "A magic energy converted ground vehicle of choice"

I've taken quite a few skills related to vehicles so that I can make this awesome it also comes with one free Techno-wizard upgrade and I am hoping for at least one or two more since the GM agreed I will get some stuff for being level 7 and coming in late.

What I need is suggestions for a vehicle the core book only has a few, and I would like it to be large enough to seat the whole party and ideally have some space for cargo/work space.

The closest in the book is the Mountaineer ATV, which isn't a bad option but not quite what I was looking for.
The Coalition Mark V Armored Personnel Carrier is great but I doubt the GM is going to give me a 3 million dollar vehicle for free (I would love it though)

I have the skills to add armor and weapons to it myself so that isn't an issue (not just Techno-magic ones either).

What I am asking for is vehicle suggestions from the other books if you have anything that comes to mind.

I plan to add magic armor to it and after that maybe some other features depending on the GM and some other goals.

I will make a post about my own gear tomorrow for the GM to approve.

Well - given my limited access to books, I won't be too much of a help myself; that said, I just ran through the character creation for my crazy (actually played a technowizard myself before that and had a blast, just felt like changing it up) and got the good stuff by simply asking Sherwood for what I'm generally looking for - he's pretty good at digging up just the right thing once he knows what you're interested in, I'd say. No pressure, of course, Sherwood =D

Getting the entire team aboard might be hard to do, given that we've got a Glitterboy and three huge Automatons from Psychie with us - and a dragon, but the latter is a shapeshifter, so that's not so much the issue. We also have conquered a huge walking fortress that has quite some space, so don't worry if you're planning to do some huge projects at some point; whatever vehicle you choose, you're not too limited by the space you have there. Unless we mess up, of course. Hmm... we had a Badger at some point, see the lore tab for that one. Just for inspiration, maybe? That one did the trick, mostly. Might be more than what you're aiming for, or just the right thing? Just to get a better idea what you're looking for...

Sherwood Sherwood Would you mind adding the house rule for buying psionic abilities with skills to the character creation overview? I know that it opened a ton of new options for me, might be of interest for Mirgris, too!
Mirgris Mirgris If that's interesting for you, you might want to check out the lore section, too, Sherwood added quite a few psionic abilities there that you might like...

Well - given my limited access to books, I won't be too much of a help myself; that said, I just ran through the character creation for my crazy (actually played a technowizard myself before that and had a blast, just felt like changing it up) and got the good stuff by simply asking Sherwood for what I'm generally looking for - he's pretty good at digging up just the right thing once he knows what you're interested in, I'd say. No pressure, of course, Sherwood =D

Getting the entire team aboard might be hard to do, given that we've got a Glitterboy and three huge Automatons from Psychie with us - and a dragon, but the latter is a shapeshifter, so that's not so much the issue. We also have conquered a huge walking fortress that has quite some space, so don't worry if you're planning to do some huge projects at some point; whatever vehicle you choose, you're not too limited by the space you have there. Unless we mess up, of course. Hmm... we had a Badger at some point, see the lore tab for that one. Just for inspiration, maybe? That one did the trick, mostly. Might be more than what you're aiming for, or just the right thing? Just to get a better idea what you're looking for...

Sherwood Sherwood Would you mind adding the house rule for buying psionic abilities with skills to the character creation overview? I know that it opened a ton of new options for me, might be of interest for Mirgris, too!
Mirgris Mirgris If that's interesting for you, you might want to check out the lore section, too, Sherwood added quite a few psionic abilities there that you might like...
Are youplanning on keeping the walking fortress?

If so maybe I'll just trade out the vehicle for techno wizard parts and gems.

Last edited:
Well, the fortress is a piece of alien machinery that'll draw quite some attention wherever we go - so you might still want something smaller to get around, too. That's the thought process that led to the robot horse on my character sheet, at least... so maybe don't give up on the idea of an own vehicle just yet...

Techno-Wizard Prospective Gear

So the single piece I care about most is my Revolver.
Largely I wish to base it off of the example revolver (Given Below)

TK-Revolver: The revolver is one of the earliest and simplest of
TK-weapons, first created sometime during the Dark Ages, but which
remains popular in the New West. Mega-Damage : 206 M.D. per
TK-bolt, only fires single shots (no bursts or sprays). Effective Range :
1 5 0 feet (45 .7 m), double at ley lines. Bonus to Strike: + 1 to strike due
to its revolver configuration. Device Level: Three. P.P.E. Construction
Cost: 65. Spell Chain Needed: Primary Spell: Telekinesis (8), Secondary
Spell : Energy Bolt (5). Physical Requirements : Six opals worth a
total of 3000 credits, a red zircon worth 2000 credits and a conventional
S.D.C. six-shot revolver. Duration of Charge : Holds six TKbolts,
the TK-bolts remain ready in the weapon until fired. To Recharge
: It takes 3 P.P.E. or 6 L S.P. to recharge a single TK-bolt. Maximum
TK Capacity: Six TK-bolts . Construction Time : 1 9. 5 hours. Black
Market Cost: 1 0,000 credits.

I wish to change the spell Chain to be something like

Primary: Electrical Arc
-Keep Lightning Damage type
-Keep Spell shape of a lightning bolt from hands/device
-Keep +2 to hit (it's hard to dodge lightning)

Secondary: Call Lightning
-Use the Same damage type with a higher level spell to intensify the damage (It's level 6 much higher than the TK revolver)

My goal is to increase the damage and accuracy, at a large increase to crafting cost, and potentially up to doubling the PPE cost per shot.
I am also willing to have it still require energy ammo, as the PPE could enhance rather than replace if you find that to be a decent downside.
Also have to keep the pre-charge feature

--------------
For armor I wanted to take the starter armor and improve it. (Comes with 2 functions)

Function 1 Force Field Armor

Spell Chain
Primary: Armor of Ithan
-Add the Form of the spell onto the armor

Secondary: Impervious to Energy
-Expand the energy resistance to apply to all energy forms

My goal for the armor is to make the MDC effect permanent (In that it lasts until the damage is done then I have to recast it) Like how a TK revolver can be pre-charged with shots
I want to expand Armor of Ithan's effect of energy reistance to encompass all energy using the secondary spell, such that the MDC from the spell takes half damage from any energy source, including energy weapons.

I think this should be fairly cheap depending on how much MDC you are willing to give. The examples of TW devices seem very PPE efficient given crafting cost and various limitations compared to just being a wizard. Both spells would cost 30 PPE together and be far stronger, so I suspect quite a lot less then that, maybe 15, since it is an upgrade of Armor of Ithan.

(Though notably devices tend to be a LOT more effective per PPE than spells)

The Second Effect would just be as large of a PPE battery as you are willing for me to have. The book briefly talks about doing that with diamonds.

I'm going to get the book that has all the devices later today to get some more comparison and ideas, as of yet, those are the to be determined vehicle are the big ones to me though.

I am considering a shield with Deflect and magic shield on it in a spell chain, to make a really good ranged/magic parrying shield, but I am not super sold on it atm, it would probably end up being gear for a team member who would find more use for it.

Lots of posts to go over. Lets see what we got!

The stats look good. Taking your Iq as your maxed roll is fine, since that helps out your skills so much.

Mirgris Mirgris Do you have the Ninjas and Superspies book? Taking one of the Martial Art styles in there would be a good boost to your stats. The downside is that they are expensive to get to, since you have to buy up to them, but the benefit is sweet. One of my personal favorites is Jeet Kun Do. It has some nice combat bonuses, but for you, the great benefit is that it increases your Iq by two and Pp by three. I can post that for you if you want.

The Coalition APC is a good choice, but if you go with that one, it won't be at full capability, having been stripped of most of its weapons. There are other APCs out there that might be a better fit for you, though. Let me see what vehicles I have in my books and I'll share them with you to give you some options.

The stats look good. Taking your Iq as your maxed roll is fine, since that helps out your skills so much.

Mirgris Mirgris Do you have the Ninjas and Superspies book? Taking one of the Martial Art styles in there would be a good boost to your stats. The downside is that they are expensive to get to, since you have to buy up to them, but the benefit is sweet. One of my personal favorites is Jeet Kun Do. It has some nice combat bonuses, but for you, the great benefit is that it increases your Iq by two and Pp by three. I can post that for you if you want.

The Coalition APC is a good choice, but if you go with that one, it won't be at full capability, having been stripped of most of its weapons. There are other APCs out there that might be a better fit for you, though. Let me see what vehicles I have in my books and I'll share them with you to give you some options.
I will get the book and take a look.

Since I'm planning to focus on my revolver I don't really need very much PP or bonus to hit since they don't apply to guns normally.

And IQ bonuses after 30 are every five points or every 10.

So using my level up points or a martial art for it isn't really worth it because it's so expensive to get such a small increase.

5 points per 2 percent.
And frankly most of my skills are over 100% anyway.

There are a bunch of good vehicles to choose from, depending on what you are looking for. Have you seen the Badger that I posted at the top of the Lore section? It is in World Book 34 Northern Gun 2, and that has other nice cargo vehicles that you may be interested in. The Badger has a lot to offer, the only downside is that Terra's Automations will not be able to fit in it.

Another option if you want to be able to transport the Automations is the Mammoth Cargo Hauler. If the Automations sit down in its cargo bed, it could work to carry all of them. It just doesn't have as large of a crew compartment. Or, you can hook up a trailer to tow the Automations and retrofit some of the cargo area as more crew space.

Do you have the Ninjas and Superspies book? Taking one of the Martial Art styles in there would be a good boost to your stats. The downside is that they are expensive to get to, since you have to buy up to them, but the benefit is sweet. One of my personal favorites is Jeet Kun Do. It has some nice combat bonuses, but for you, the great benefit is that it increases your Iq by two and Pp by three. I can post that for you if you want.

Sherwood Sherwood Mirgris isn't going to find Jeet Kune Do in Ninjas & Superspies, because it's not there. The original is in Rifter, issue #7. My version of Jeet Kune Do is, of course, from my own game (call it Jeet Kune Do 2.0?). =)

EDIT: Added link.

There are a bunch of good vehicles to choose from, depending on what you are looking for. Have you seen the Badger that I posted at the top of the Lore section? It is in World Book 34 Northern Gun 2, and that has other nice cargo vehicles that you may be interested in. The Badger has a lot to offer, the only downside is that Terra's Automations will not be able to fit in it.

Another option if you want to be able to transport the Automations is the Mammoth Cargo Hauler. If the Automations sit down in its cargo bed, it could work to carry all of them. It just doesn't have as large of a crew compartment. Or, you can hook up a trailer to tow the Automations and retrofit some of the cargo area as more crew space.
I will look later today.

I'll probably have to move around some skills for a trucks driving skill.

at the moment I'm a little more interested in my gear proposal a couple messages up.

What do you think of the revolver and the armor?

At first glance, I don't have a problem with them. I'll give them a closer look, but compared to the goodies that the rest of the party already has, it shouldn't be an issue.

At first glance, I don't have a problem with them. I'll give them a closer look, but compared to the goodies that the rest of the party already has, it shouldn't be an issue.
then when I have some free time in about an hour I'll propose hard numbers for them both.

Mirgris Mirgris Personally, I think the firearm and the armor look good except I don't know how powerful they are. I point this out because we've had PCs begin the game with rune weapons (very powerful, often empathic weapons that often have magical powers and are very tough to break). Sherwood understands his game balance best, of course. I like the basic ideas behind the firearm (plus lightning is just cool) and the armor does what it's supposed to (protects, especially from energy - good choice). I don't know what model armor you're going after, but having the kind of armor that fully seals up the user (provides artificial life support/climate control) is, at least for humans, much better than armor that doesn't.

Is your Character human?

Sherwood Sherwood

Isn't that a nice feeling to log into? =) Ha ha!

Also, as a 7th level Techno-Wizard (meaning one that has been around), would you allow Mirgris's Character to have created their own vehicle from the ground up? I don't know precisely what Mirgris has in mind for a vehicle, but what's a TW that hasn't gotten their magical hands greasy, right?

Mirgris Mirgris I am looking for some items to give you starting out, and I am curious to know; are you more interested in a ranged weapon or a melee one? Something more utilitarian, or damage inflicting?
Also, as a 7th level Techno-Wizard (meaning one that has been around), would you allow Mirgris's Character to have created their own vehicle from the ground up? I don't know precisely what Mirgris has in mind for a vehicle, but what's a TW that hasn't gotten their magical hands greasy, right?
It is more likely that he's gotten a hold of a beat up shell and then customized the hell out of it over the time he's been adventuring instead of building one from the ground up.

Sherwood Sherwood

Isn't that a nice feeling to log into? =) Ha ha!

I have the vehicle armorer and weapons engineer skills.

Not to mention mechanical and electrical engineering.

I legitimately have all the skills to build my own armored vehicle.

I just don't want to do so out of character because they have a lot of parts in mechanics and it would be tricky to balance rather than editing an existing one.

I guess the big question is, just what kind of vehicle do you want?

There is the TW Zone Ranger in the Federation of Magic book that already has stats for the TW conversion and some upgrades. You can then add some more goodies to it.

Mirgris Mirgris Mirgris Mirgris I am looking for some items to give you starting out, and I am curious to know; are you more interested in a ranged weapon or a melee one? Something more utilitarian, or damage inflicting?
I guess the big question is, just what kind of vehicle do you want?

Well I want the revolver to be very good, and the armor solid enough to survive.

So I'll do numbers in a second.

Since we have group transport with enough space for a workshop, let me propose something quite the opposite of the APC.

Storm Rider
MDC Converted Motorcycle:

Function One: Flight
Spell Chain->Flight->Fuel Flame->

The Motorcycle Flies using a Mixture of PPE and Normal Fuel Enhanced by the Fuel Flame Spell to be more potent reaching incredible speeds as it flies through the air

Function Two: Storm Caller
Spell Chain-> Call Lightning -> Blinding Flash

The Motorcycle can be used to call down one blinding lightning bolt per action for a cost of 10 PPE
5d6 MDC -1 Saving Throw for Blindness

Function Three: Armor
(Just a copy of my own armor essentially, maybe a higher cost/MDC because it's a vehicle not a person)

I admit it's 100% rule of cool and numbers need to be messed with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back