• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Rowan Thorn
rowan.jpg
Now, Bay's words had some truth to it. Not all truth, because he didn't know shit about her, but parts of what he said were true. Not the
Now, Rowan had been a mercenary, and still was. She had learned to be aggresive, had learned to stand up for herself- considering her description leaned towards small. Maybe it was that one time with the old-ass elf trying to get Arthur to sell her to him- as if she would let that happen- that caused her to go harder on this man then she had meant to. That, and her powers not being purely offensive, being born to a large family with a lot of brothers- making her the "protected baby" that was not allowed to do things when a bigger brother could do instead- it had all factored in to her words- which weren't an excuse- just an explantion. So she didn't quite start an argument, but absorbed his words, no matter that the second half was bullshit he was spouting from his ass.

While they were walking, Rowan remained silent, pouring over her own words- used to the heat, the trudging to get to their destination. IT was a heartiness she had learned, so the heat wasn't extremely unbearable, like it would have been in the past. She bore it without complaint- as she had done this before. Though, for Ophenia, occasionally, she would summon a barrier above them, lying flat, 5 feet by 5 feet, just enough to get a hint of shade as they passed through the desert (Barrier Step- F Grade- Multiple Post Cooldown). IF they had needed to stop she could do more, but at a speed like this, she didn't want to use too much magic at once- in case something attacked them on the way.

He had been a jerk to her, but she had been a jerk in return. Which meant...she had to apologize, to be the bigger person, if only metaphorically. So while the others were getting water, she refilled her waterskin quickly, heading back to approach Bay, getting the man slightly away from everyone else, just enough to give them a second of privacy. She took large gulps of water, swishing some around her mouth to hydrate her mouth before gulping down more of the delicious, clear, wond "I am sorry for going as aggresive as I did when you told me no. I interpreted your words to mean no, you could not come with us, so I went on the offensive instead of enquiring further about what you actually meant. I responded to your response with aggression, and thus you responded with mean responses yourself."

Once done with her apology, she would wait for a reply. Whatever way the conversation went, she would approach Melissa and Ophenia, the only two who had really talked to her so far. "Thank you for standing up for me. I lost my temper there, and it made my words ugly and mean. My name is Rowan Thorn, and it's nice to meet you." She addressed Melissa first, thankful for her help in the matter. Then, she would turn to Ophenia with a grin at the offer of friendship. "And thank you for offering to be my friend, Ophenia." At least she knew Ophenia's name, because the girl had said her own name out loud many times, not to mention saying it when they introduced themselves. The bird person hadn't quite introduced herself, and neither had the blond knight, but there hopefully would be time to learn their names later. Though, his harpy story sounded interesting. "Sounds interesting. Tell us more about the harpies, please, if you have any more stories." She would ask the blond fellow.

66f19fc86b855cd9b86c0b8054d2e49c.jpg

Bay (Besitter), some guy at the Pavilion
As the group was settling their hydration needs, Rowan approached Bay. Motioning for him to follow her, he begrudgingly did so. She apparently wished to apologize. Again, Bay heard her out. When she was done, he simply nodded and walked back to the others.

Bay eyes fixated on Finn, more specifically, the bird he held. The look was mostly blank, but the hint of curiosity could be gleaned. When Finn began talking about harpies, Bay's eyes automatically met his then immediately broke away. He busied himself with a fascinating something on a leaf pointed away from Finn's watchful eye.

"Duran still causing trouble, eh?" Bay asked, seemingly uninterested in the harpies. "Sounds like him to be getting in trouble."

Trees rose all around them. Animals could be heard calling back and forth. A branch or two snap in the distance. If nothing else, the travellers could be certain that they weren't alone out here.

< VII >

zwRHxxn.jpg

Curiosity followed from Seven following Besitter's statement. If she had eyebrows, they would, undoubtedly be raised. "Perhaps it was but a happenstance of coincidences, but Sir Besitter, you speak as if you've known Duran for quite a long while," she noted.

Further questioning, however, came to a halt at the snapping of branches. Glancing about, for a moment, Seven felt about an air of concern regarding the noise. Then again, there was perhaps a chance it was simply just another animal...

Perhaps it could have been the animal of leathers by which the seamstress would seek? Thinking for a moment, she would prod at Finn's neck for a moment.

"Perhaps I could fly ahead a little bit to make a relative scouting of where that noise might have come from," she suggested. "There's a chance we could simply just be in luck and find a furry beast as per what the seamstress of PokeThreads requested. Otherwise, it shouldn't hurt to try to look..."

Melissa

"It's nice meeting you too, Rowan. I'm Melissa, or just Mel for short." As she said this, she would place a hand on her chest, while bowing slightly. "I believe your actions were quite justifiable, you shouldn't feel too bad about it."

Listening in on the conversation between Seven and Ophenia, Melissa tried piecing together what was going on. So this bird had once envied birds herself, so was she once not a bird herself? And that God had fulfilled her wish... what kind of wish? A wish to become a bird? Was she a human before she was turned into a bird, or perhaps she had been sent to this world like Melissa had, and was a human in her previous life?

The girl rubbed her temples as she started to get a headache. She had many questions to ask, but Seven didn't seem interested in continuing the subject, which only fuelled Melissa's curiosity further about this mysterious talking bird.

At the snapping of some branches, Melissa would whip her head in the direction of the noise, squinting into the forest. However, she couldn't see much with all the vegetation around.

Upon hearing Seven's suggestion, Melissa would respond. "Seems risky. Whatever's out there might just get you."

Ophenianew.png
The bigger the audience the better the concert!
Ophenia squealed as Rowan introduced herself. "Hii! It's so nice to meet you properly! If you didn't know already, my na-" the fae stopped, as a dawning shock went over her face. "Oh my! How did you already know my name, Ms Roland? Hmmm... There's only one explanation! My name is quite popular in Ryken, isn't it?! AHhh! I'm so happy that my performances went so well! I should go..." Ophenia excitedly proclaimed until she remembered. "Oh wait... I'm still banned from entering Ryken, aren't I? Booh." Ophenia said with a rare to see sad expression and depressed tone of voice. A las, that quickly faded as the fae turned to Melissa.

"Ah and Ms Maria! I wanted to ask since you're a blacksmith... I wanted to ask a favour from you! Uh! but not in front of the others, it's supposed to be a surprise you see!" Ophenia said. Rather loudly. In the direct vicinity of Finn, Rowan, Seven and Bay. "Also Ms Seven! It should not matter if it attracts other monsters or creatures, a larger audience always enhances one's performance! It just means you'd be singing so wonderfully you'd attract all kinds of animals... Almost like a princess!" Ophenia said cheerfully after she would turn to Seven.

But like the whimsical and erratic faery she was, Ophenia's attention soon turned to the snapping of branches. "Oh my!" Ophenia said as she'd quickly stride nearer to where the sound was heard. "See like right now! An unexpected audience is always the best! Come on Ms Seven! Let's sing together!" Ophenia said as she'd imbued her resonator with some of her mana as she took it out of her purse. "Let's make some noise! All the world's our stage!" The sylphid said as she'd bring the flickering resonator closer to the bird.

"Sing and let your heart be your voice, with the power of this thing!" Ophenia said chipperly as she'd gesture Seven to sit on the resonator, which was now fluttering above Ophenia's left hand, flickering between a vibrant pink and warm yellow tone.

Finnegan Huttman
8f5f2c989ff4d8dea81c5f19579e812c.jpg

"hrmm... Well.." Finn thought for a second, nodding. "It may seem like a good idea. But... Spiders. Spiders typically hunt things that fly, and in this forested area I don't wnat to take too many chances with you on your own...Plus we do have a capable guide right here, they could very well tell us about any dangerous things we have to look out for. Before any looking ahead can be done." Finn noted out a proper thought on the matter.

"...Well, I'll be honest with Henny here anything can can hear us coming will. Best we stay together yea?" the armored man stepped forwards looking to their ever standoffish guide. The man looked to be on guard, but having a form of casualness about him that told he wasn't quite taking too seriously.

Which sort of went hand in hand with how he spoke to their guide and watcher. "...So you crested as well? I'm keeping the two with me safe, but the title doesn't exactly strike me as too interesting. Helping others is what I do, but it must feel different if your doing it straight for the local nobility's recognition." he was pacing around the point. "Are there stages of this crested status? Big, better rewards and what not? I'd imagine the harpies are crested themselves in full. There was one guy, hot headed, male, used two khopesh, wouldn't had minded going toe to toe in a spar against a strong customer like that."

"Duran is fairly notorious around the Pavilion. You'd be hard-pressed to find a local or guest that hasn't had some sort of encounter with that cat. Although I will say this is the first time I heard of him taking a group into the palace. That's...highly unusual."

Bay stood and moved back onto the path. He looked ahead for a moment, his eyes panning from one side to the other. Looking over his shoulder, he called back to the group.

"Calm the pink banshee. Only thing singing will do out here is make you a target. Let's get moving."

As they moved along the path, Finn, presumably with Seven in tow, fell in step beside Bay to make further inquiry. The guide's attention never wavered from the path ahead. He lowered his voice when he gave his response.

"Listen, Tin Tin, if keeping your companions safe is your priority, I'll give you the best advice no one in the Pavilion will give you: never assume that Crested individuals are your friend. If you went to the palace like you said, I'm sure you noticed more than a few things that were off. As outsiders, your best bet is to get yourself and your friends away from here as soon as possible.
"Then again...maybe you fancy the Pavilion after staying a night with her? If you're wanting to stick around, increase your Crested rank. It's the only way you'll get to see things for what they are...and maybe even help if you so choose."
Now Bay spoke a bit louder than conversational volume. "And don't worry, Tin Tin. The venemous creatures around here mostly just paralyze you."

Finnegan Huttman
54ab08e1168ca6bd5fe31d0783c67cbd.jpg
"Hahahahaha!" Finn let out a laugh, a true laugh straight from the belly. "Don't be silly, I never assumed anybody is a friend straight out, I jsut give them a few chances to become one." the man smiled brightly, before taking a minute to pull out his helm and snap it in place atop his head. He was a knight proper looking now, no longer a bright sunny smiling face atop of a beautiful suit or armor, therein before them stood a steel golem of metal and purpose. One ready for battle, as no doubt would come soon enough.

d2d2284872dd904cd1ab3859fcfb4e1e.jpg

"We live, we learn, we fight, we survive. I'll figure out my friends and foes by the hands with daggers in my back.

The fault is never upon the betrayed, but the betrayer, and they will find i'm no beast to be slain with one strike." his voice now has a echo in metal and protection. "But with that said, best we all stay together then. We need silk, we get silk, then head back without so much an issue.

Though if we keep this pace we may be done by next winter. Lets pick up out feet then eh?" The man speaks up, trying to get others to do the same. "We've only so much daylight and i've had enough of this quiet before the storm. These missions oft don't get along nicely and safely, best we get to the battle soon then. Perhaps we'll be stabbed in the back by a friend turned enemy as you say Bae.

Or maybe these foes are under our feet right this minute."

< VII >

zwRHxxn.jpg
Making note of the inputs of each of her fellow party members, it was clear that there was much opposition to her suggestion of scouting the area. Although initially opposed to their suggestions for otherwise, a second careful consideration of the possible dangers would lead to Seven nodding in acknowledgement of their requests for otherwise. Though she, for a moment, felt rather pressured to sing in spite of her concerns for...being heard, a thankful sigh would elicit from her as Bay would dismiss the idea.

Although, something of his previous statement caught her attention...

"If you don't mind answering and are knowledgeable of the subject, Bay, I'd like to know two things: firstly, has Duran brought guests into the palace before us?

Secondly, do you know what the pink smoke from the Palace is?"

It seemed he had answers, perhaps more knowledge than she had known nor discovered on her own...

Especially with regards to Duran and the events that would unfold.

Melissa

Melissa would tilt head to the side as Ophenia mentioned requiring her blacksmithing services for a special surprise. Just what could this sylph require from her, she wondered. It was difficult to tell what was going on in her mind sometimes, but she did resemble an energetic child so Melissa was happy to help her out. It wasn't long before she started causing another ruckus, irritating Bay the guide.

"Keep it down!" Melissa said in a hushed voice, while walking over to the faery and pushing the floating resonator back into her hand. She then took a quick glance around the forest, before looking back at Ophenia apologetically. "I'm sure we would want to avoid an audience with whatever creature is lurking out there."

As Bay walked alongside Finn, he spoke in a hushed voice, preventing the rest from listening in on their conversation. Melissa couldn't help but to feel suspicious towards Bay. If he had to speak so softly, did he not trust them enough to tell everyone as well?

But it seemed that there wasn't much to fear, as Finn let out a laugh after hearing what he had to say. Melissa would nod her head. Whatever happens, she could put her trust in the veteran to take care of things.

Rowan Thorn
rowan.jpg

Well, Rowan figured that was all she was going to get him from. He was still being rude, but he had...accepted... the apology, and that was good enough for now. At least she could talk to Ophenia and Melissa now. The group did seem to be split somewhat into two groups. Or two and a half groups. The knight and the bird who could talk were close with each other. Then, there was Melissa and Ophenia. Well, Ophenia was talking to everyone, so she wasn't quite sure if the pair were a group, but for now, she would align herself with the two people who had actually introduced themselves to her. Though the woman who loved to sing seemed to almost get their names right- which seemed to be less of an act of malice rather than an act of just not focusing enough. "It's lovely to meet you both." Rowan replied with a smile to each girl. "He was being rude, so I was rude to him back. We were both at fault." Rowan replied to Melissa. Ophenia had an eccentricity to her- but the kind that got people killed. On one hand, it was whimsical and fun- when they weren't in a situation where they might have to fight something or someone. When the leaves rustled like they were being watched, she wanted to sing at the thing- which was a bit concerning. IF she could do magic singing that was totally ok. But if it was regular singing....she wasn't sure how long Ophenia would be around for.

Shit, something was about to attack them! Rowan sprang into action immediately, as she was at her best when she had some prep time before a battle. Better to make preparations now and not need them, rather than waste time putting up protections later.

She positioned herself so that everyone was within 30 ft of her, and cast magic. Barriers would surround all six beings in attendance, molding itself to the specific proportions of each to make purpley-magenta armor- no matter if they already had some on already(Mage Armor 3- D Grade- 1 Post Cooldown). That would protect everyone in the party- Bay, Seven, Finn, Ophenia, Melissa, and herself- to block attacks that came their way. They lasted an hour as well- and she could recast them pretty quickly if need be- keeping everyone alive as long as possible- as there was a real threat of attack. Besides- Finn was probably a frontline attacker- based on the armor he wore. IT couldn't hurt to have more armor on top of the existing armor he already had.

Rowan's eyes narrowed at the knight and the bird talking to Besitter in hushed tones-never a good sign. Though, her barriers had the additional advantage of giving the person under protection a warning if anyone were to blindside them- as long as the attack didn't outright kill them. Though, she hoped everyone stuck together- they were less powerful apart. Even loosing one member would be a blow to their group. She just hoped that whatever they were talking about to themselves- they would share with the group and not keep the rest of them in the dark. Though, her barriers should help against any paralytic, venomous creatures out to eat them or something. Either way, she stayed closed to Ophenia and Melissa, on the lookout in case anything attacked them. IT felt like they were being way too blasé about the creatures watching them- but that could also be her days as a mercenary coloring her opinion of the scenario. Though, it felt better to be a little paranoid and ready versus being relaxed and caught off guard.

Ophenianew.png
A Flower within a cottage of briar.
"B- banshee?!" Ophenia exclaimed, her face was that of surprise due to Bay's words. Then quickly her cheery attitude exulted once more, as a look of excitement was on her face. "I love banshees! They're so lovely, how could you compare me to such a mystical force?" Ophenia said with a moderate tone "Crying and keening eternally for the death of someone dear, so that person would never be forgotten! I could only dream of being able to do such an honourable thing. One day I'd like to meet one!" Ophenia obliviously said as she continued with the group. She believed it was an insult to banshees that she was being compared to them. A mere lesser fae being compared to one of much higher standing. How unpleasant.

Finn began speaking of betrayal, battle and foes Ophenia couldn't understand it though, those concepts were quite taintful, and just didn't sit right with her, though he was right about one thing. They truly did need to begin picking up the pace. "You're right, Mister Finn! It's quite essential we get there and back while we still have daylight! After all, we don't have many light sources, and moonlight is quite dim... But noise travels further in the night!" Ophenia said in a thought-like manner, as she looked up at the obscured sky, forgetting to mention that she also stands out much more clearly during the night due to her inherently shimmering skin. Like a white sea holly amongst pink roses. "On the brighter side, I prefer a starry night sky over a cloudless day. It's so much more pleasing to the eyes! So allegro a piacere!" Ophenia cheerfully stated as she once more began to up her tempo.

The resonator floated backwards back into Ophenia's hands Melissa pushed it. "Hey! That's delicate, you can't just be so harsh with it! What if it breaks?" Ophenia nervously said with a panicked tone. In truth, the fae knew little about how to fix the resonator. After, it was not an instrument meant for channelling magic. It fluttered above Ophenia's palms as it glowed a bright yellow. Glittering as it settled. "Miss Maria, I do not understand your fears, would it not be better if more outsiders could lend us a hand? After all, it's not that dreary to sing a few songs here and there! I'm sure whatever is out there would appreciate the pleasant melodies with this isolated ambience." The fae said with assuring brightness and a warm smile. She didn't understand the worry of everyone else, this was of course due to her skewed and naive view of the world, and up till currently, she had not encountered anything truly violent. She believed wholeheartedly that everything was completely safe.

When Ophenia was surrounded in magical deep-magenta armour she became starstruck. "Oh my Elysius! Was this your doing, Miss Roland?! This is so cute!" Ophenia said with a mezzo-forte excitement. Her eyes were sparkling. "This is so lovely! It's such a pretty colour! I didn't know you were a magician, Miss Roland! I thought you were smart not magical!" Ophenia then retorted her statement as she began speaking again. "Or are you smartly magical? Do they teach magic at the uh... 'Academy'?" Ophenia said with a somewhat confused tone though there was still a slight bubbliness to it. She neared Rowan and smiled. "Does the Academy allow performances? I'd love to perform at that location one day! Oh... But... what is an academy anyway? Are there lots of people at the academy? Are they nice?" Ophenia asked with a revelling tone as she began to obliviously walk backwards.

Ophenia had never learnt or heard of an academy during her travels and while reading books. So she was quite intrigued. On the other hand, she was quite excited to learn more, after all, one day she'd visit every part of the world to sing her songs. The more she learns about a place, the fewer chances she'd offend someone or break a law. Even though she's already been temporarily banned from Ryke due to "Public Indecency", "Causing a ruckus" and "Spreading Propaganda." it was probably unlikely that she'd perform at the Ryken Academy. Ophenia still believed wholeheartedly that humans. Are strange.

Bay had set a steady pace for their journey. Somewhere between walking and jogging, his legs took shorter, quicker strides to keep him in the front of their little caravan. Finn was right there next to him holding his avian friend. Bay actually smiled, albeit mischievously, at her query.

"Must be tantalizing being on the outside looking in. The mystery is part of the excitement, part of the draw of the Pavilion. Answering such an earnest question would be to easy, wouldn't you agree?" Bay said, his smirk lingering as he relished the moment of denial. "What I can say is that if you stick around long enough, you'll find out sooner or later."

Suddenly, a magical barrier appeared around each individual. Bay never stopped, but he raised an arm and studied the barrier as he twisted this way and that. It stayed with him, molding to his form; an expertly crafted magic. He glanced back at Rowan with a contemplative look. Being from the Academy, it would make sense that she were capable of such a feat.

Bay turned his attention back to the front as a light cough escaped him. He held the fabric about his collar to his mouth as the cough persisted a short moment. Finn would be insisting they move faster after Bay's fit subsided.

"We're going plenty fast enough already. This journey is unfortunately going to take most of the day to make the round trip. It's necessary that we pace ourselves." said Bay retrieving his water jug and taking a swig. That said, Bay did increase the pace ever so slightly. He was on a tight schedule after all.

The path was all they had. Occasionally, one might see places of trampled foliage leading off into the woods on either side, perhaps even single-person dirt trails, but none of these trails were main paths for travellers. Where they went and whether they were even safe was largely only known by those who made them.

Overhead the canopy filtered the sunlight nicely, keeping them mostly shaded as they travelled. Birds were heard squawking their conversations to one another. The occasional caterwauling might be heard in the distance.

At one point two wolves and two cubs crossed the road ahead of the group. Bay held an arm out to stop everyone. One parent looked at them while the other nudged the little ones onward with her snout. Bay waited a moment before lowering his arm and cautiously passing where the small pack had crossed.

d9af4f718dc2b1c42655a942f9915be7.jpg

When the sun had passed the noon position, the party crossed a barely perceptible line in the forest. It was as if the colors suddenly dulled slightly to a bluer hue. The greens weren't deprived of their lushness that made poets write of life and vibrance. Bark on the trees had withered somehow, becoming slightly grayer than before. The daylight that trickled in through the canopy overhead seemed to be filtered through the slightest hint of shadow that now hung over where they stood.

Up ahead, the path forked: one branch continuing straight, while the other veered off to the right. Both paths eventually disappeared out of sight in the trees. And there in the grass on the right between the forked roads was a plain pillar etched with ancient writing.

"We'll rest here. The harvesting spot isn't far, but we'll be going into the brush from here." said Bay.

He walked a number of paces down each fork in the path, looking around as he did so. A lot of his attention was paid to the canopy during his scan of the surroundings. Returning to the stone marker, Bay casually leaned against it.

Melissa
35AFED6C-C8CB-401B-96EE-36CE82EAD21F.jpeg

Seeing Ophenia’s response to being called a banshee, Melissa wondered if the ignorant fae was just pretending to be naive on the surface, and was actually a cunning trickster on the inside. After all, who’d enjoy being called a banshee, an omen of death that had a terrifying scream? She was probably acting naive to let her enemies let their guard down around her, before she swooped in and backstabbed them when they least expected it. Just like how an assassin would do it. It was a very convincing act, with all her cutesy childlike actions thus far. Letting out a small chuckle, Melissa would wink at the fae, “I’m impressed, Ophenia. You almost had me fooled for a moment.”

Afterwards, Melissa would apologize to Ophenia when she whined about the resonator becoming damaged. Then, hearing her name mispronounced for the thousandth time, she had the urge to correct Ophenia, before realizing it was all part of her act all along and stopping herself. When Ophenia were to talk about letting whatever creature lurking within the forest hear her music and come to her, Melissa felt like playing along with her acting.

“Oh you’re right, I don’t know what I was thinking! I’m sure there is nothing dangerous around these parts.” Melissa said, gesturing to the forest around them with a grin. “But too bad we gotta keep it down cuz Bay here enjoys his walks in peace and quiet.”

When Rowan had put an additional layer of protection on all of them, Melissa would touch and prod at the purple magical armor. “Woah, impressive!” She looked at Rowan with widened eyes. This was the first time she had seen magic being used, and thus it was a completely new experience to her.

As the group would finally reach their next resting point, Melissa would copy Bay in looking towards the canopies, but not going down the paths with him. “Plenty of trees huh.” She would say to him, before turning to the pillar and gesturing to it. “So what does this stone say anyway?”

Last edited:
< VII >

zwRHxxn.jpg
The mischievous nature of his response, of course, greatly intrigued her. His refusal to respond made the bird all the more tempted to ask or learn more--anybody would easily feel a sense of frustration from such a response, a frustration that would prompt them to learn more.

And as much as she would, if asked, deny it, that frustration made her delighted. She was delighted by this response--this denial that forced her to pursue, learn of more. The man knew the Pavilion's charm incredibly well, and he seemed quite sufficed to allow these mysteries to unfold themselves.

"I'm sure, then, that I'll be surprised with every new discovery and encounter," the bird chimed to his response.

As they would continue on, the Academy girl would suddenly create a protective barrier domain. A waste to use in the moment, she felt and thought to herself, but who was she to bother with what little she knew? Perhaps the girl might have realized something she did not, perhaps she was the unknowing one. So long as they were safe in the moment and later as well, it needed not matter.

Eventually, they'd reach a fork upon the road--one remarked by the presence of a strange stone market remarked by strange runic symbols. For a moment, in spite of the heat, she found herself shivering with an odd sense--a realization.

For one reason or another, she found herself tempted to sit close to this stone marker. Flying off from Finn's shoulder as she would only briefly find herself able to sustain, control--stop herself before the stone. At Bay's suggestion, this would be their resting point. And she watched as he seemed calm enough to simply just lean on what seemed likely an important, historical magical artifact...

For a moment, she found herself tempted to seat herself closer as well. After all, if he was able to simply just lean on it, did that not mean it was appropriate for her as well...? Shaking her head, she attempted not to act on this temptation. Instead, her small talons attempted to take five steps back.

And seven steps forth, almost mesmerized by the strange monument...

...What was this...? She knew not the answers...and as much as she felt this desire to sit upon it--to approach closer to it to likely just come from her newfound body...

She approached closer. Closer, and closer until her talon would finally, cautiously reach against the pillar...

Last edited:
Finnegan Huttman
cdd1f663460ca5fad8c93e9d370fd521.jpg

Finn took a moment to sigh, did he really have to put his helmet on? he was sure something would be causing trouble soon... Ah well.. bets keep it on until needed. In eventuallity, he could take it off and stuff Seven in there if combat came down. His gaze was on the others, he considered them for a minute... he didn't get a look at this Rowan woman but she seemed alright, if abit.. quick to snap.. Perhaps being at this school place she mentioned messed with her nerves? he heard abit of it, had a friend from the classes who always seemed to be rushed to get whatever project done before the deadline...

Rough way to live, always being on a deadline...

Running yourself ragged just for some teacher to nod and say "You did alright." and then be stuck in a bad mood for weeks.

Henny was as she always was, adorable and running around rivaling the birds with her own calls. He took a moment to pat the girl on the head for her cuteness and considered the other in the room... Well.. metaphorical room, glade? whatever.

Melissa was cute, to say the least, but she showed promise in her form, she was strong, showed careful consideration in each movement with a keen eye and seemed quite healthy. if it came down to it he didn't need to worry about her in a fight, she could handle herself, though he did wonder how much experience she had in battle, who to cover for, where to stand... her arms were more muscled than the rest of her.. her equipment had all similar style... Perhaps she made it all herself?

That was a respectable thing, certain cut costs. He spent so damn much on his...

Little Sevie was there playing with the wierd rock, cute little bird, he wanted to pet her again.. But he already patted Henny this second, bets not overdo it.

He really was surrounded by some beautiful people.. He should count himself lucky.

"I've never encountered anyone who can read it." came Bay's simple answer to Melissa's query as he took his place against the stone pillar.

It wasn't a bad day for a stroll. The canopy helped immensely in keeping the sun mostly off their backs, though there was a shaft of sunlight falling directly on the stone column on which Bay was leaning. He closed his eyes for a moment as he leaned against the monument. It seemed as though he were beginning to doze off as his head began to droop towards his chest. He suddenly grimaced as he straightened up and let out a cough. Withdrawing his canteen, he took a sip as his eyes descended on the sight of Seven timidly approaching the pillar on foot.

Bay silently watched the little bird as she slowly approached, fighting her feet then relenting then fighting a little more. He never said a word as she hopped up onto its star-shaped base. Finally, as her tiny little foot awkwardly raised to touch the pillar, he cracked the slightest smile as he attempted to hide it behind his scarf, which he immediately pulled up over his face.

Upon contacting the stone, Seven would feel a sudden shiver that receded as quickly as it came on. She has a vague impression that she's missing something.

Averting his eyes, he pretended to be fascinated by something up the road. As it turned out, he would be given a perfectly good reason for looking up the road as a tiny figure waddled into view coming south towards the intersection (the party had been travelling north). Just shorter than a man's waist, a tiny black catkin came waddling along the path. Bay's eyes involuntarily widened slightly as he stared at the tiny creature as it huffily passed. At the fork it turned left, heading towards the large continental lake. If anyone tried to hail the catkin, they were met with a panting, dismissive reply: "No, no, can't talk! It's spawning season and my stomach craves salmon!" The catkin would soon fade into the distance.

Bay waited a moment for it to sink in before casually saying, "Y...You all saw that too, right...?"

d9af4f718dc2b1c42655a942f9915be7.jpg

< VII >

zwRHxxn.jpg
Stumbling back for a brief moment, her eyes continued to gaze before the pillar. As that feeling of missing something would still linger, even after she would retract her talons away from the pillar.

…What…was that? She felt confused. Confused, and possibly even terrified from her lack of knowledge with regards to the unknown feelings of which had arisen from inside of her. A sensation of confusion and terror, not from an outward intimidating factor, rather…

It was the fact that this was a feeling that she had not yet been able to translate into structured terms.

…No…No…maybe it was just a feeling of intrigue. Perhaps it was simply just that this pillar had caught her interest and that this feeling mustered not just from a mustering of her curiosity but also the satisfaction of her sudden and innate urges…right?

Taking another small step back, she found herself at the reminder of another growing, festering temptation…

One that, before remarked itself as a temptation to seat herself upon the stone.

Would she be able to discover more with regards to that feeling if she sat upon it? She didn’t know. She was unsure, but that made her yearn to know…

Did that feeling come from the stone…?

Perhaps she was delusional, perhaps she wasn’t…flying upwards, she would decidedly, for the sake of experimentation, take a deep breath, seating herself upon the top of the stone at hand…

And waiting. Waiting to see if anything else would occur from acting on this satisfaction.

Finnegan Huttman

"Yo melissa yea? I have to ask, did you make that equipment yourself? or did yea go to the same smith for it all?" he asked straight out to the young lady. "Couldn't help but notice they were all similar in certain ways, shows a style thats similar to each other. Some folks go to different smiths for their stuff, or just buy whatever suits em. But I got a feelin' you have a keen on on yea, not too much for just choosing any random slab of metal eh?" he pried on the thoughts he had earlier about the girl.

"Course, you could be like our mage here... You do those shields often? Rowan you said your name is? They teach you this stuff at that academy of yours?" he figured if he was talking about creation with one person, why not stretch it to another who seemed to be making stuff.

"Certainly magic, no doubt, unless you hired some invisible folk to stand around infront of people holding up glass plates hahahaha!" he wouldn't mind getting more info other both these things really.

"Say... Is magic like smithing? I heard that magic is.. around us, everywhere. Same with ore and metal. You refine it, then make it into something until it breaks and yea gotta repair it or make it again. Am I off my rocker or does that seem similar? Cause if it's like that maybe even an idiot like me can learn magic Hahaha!" No way, he couldn't magic his way out of a wet paper bag. Was there magic for that?

Who knew? Not him.

"But no really somebody stop me if i'm wrong, yer not hitting it with a hammer when its hot, but still."

Melissa
2E98C491-B057-41E2-B675-0B525DF5307E.jpeg

Seeing Seven take a step back upon contact with the stone, Melissa would squint at the pillar. Something told her that there was more to it than meets the eye. But after taking one good look at the pillar, she would shake her head. If even Bay had no idea what this pillar was all about, perhaps she was overthinking things.

Watching as Bay almost dozed off upon leaning against the pillar, Melissa would let out a small chuckle. “Looks like someone didn’t get enough sleep last night.”

It was then a catkin could be seen walking along the path. The girl would then straighten herself, watching it carefully and patiently while she slowly reached for her shield. No sudden movements. She was new to all of this and so she wouldn’t let herself lower her guard, even if there was a walking cat. Who knows? It could attack them at any moment.

However, seeing the cat just pass by harmlessly, she would let out a sigh of relief, letting herself relax once more. It seemed like not even the guide had any idea what was going on with the cat.

Following that, Finn would approach Melissa to ask her about her equipment. “Yep, made it myself with my own two hands. It took me years to learn the trade, and even now I’m far from being an expert." She would then pause, reminiscing of her past, before continuing. "One day, I realized I had hit a wall I couldn’t overcome and so here I am, finding new ways of improving on my craft.” He would then ask if magic was similar to smithing. Raising her hands up, she would say, “don’t look at me, I'm just as clueless when it comes to magic. Frankly, this whole magic stuff is all new to me."

Last edited:

The pillar offered nothing more to Seven. Only the impression of a missing requirement was left to her as she sat atop the stone marker. The warmth of the sun would be easily enjoyed from her perch though.

Bay would shrug at Melissa's comment.

"The Pavilion has quite the night life. We're a nocturnal bunch for the most part. Of course, I prefer being out here to in there, so I make due with what sleep I can get." Then Bay gave a sly smile. "Besides, sometimes the one sharing your bed won't let you get a wink in." Clearing his throat as he withdrew his canteen, Bay would take another gulp before walking away from the marker. "I guess it's about that time. This will be the most rigorous part of your journey today, so I hope you're all ready for it."

Bay gave a final glance up to the canopy as he walked to the middle of the intersection. Looking north then south on the main road, then glancing over his shoulder down the way the cat had left by, Bay pointed to the woods in the opposite direction of the cat.

"This way into the woods. Step lightly now and move where I do. I really don't want to waste time pulling anyone from quicksand or any number of other problematic obstacles." said he as he tromped into the woods.

Bay's path through the brush would be quite eccentric. He would start off straight, then suddenly divert off to the right for several yard, climb onto a fallen log and walk down its length before hopping off. One minute he was heading forward, then abruptly making a short turn and backtracking a number of feet before making another small turn and heading forward again. Entering a large clearing, Bay would choose to walk around the outskirts, clutching at the trees as he passed. Straying away from the trees only after he had reached the far side.

Being the good guide that he was, he would not venture too far without looking behind him to make sure everyone was keeping up alright. Assistance was offered and instruction given to make sure everyone was mostly on the same page as far as how to traverse the area.

fd2bb7b163b9a93befef8d01cb918ce1.jpg

Finnegan

"Gotta say Bay its almost like yea know the place or something, come here often? Hahaha" he couldn't help but find the odd path Bay was making through the woods funny. Though he himself had survivalist training that one could only have from having absolutely none whatsoever and going into a demon forest full of wood demons that try to eat your innards, he couldn't help but look at the scenery around them with inherent awe.

"This is a much better looking place than the one I was in last, definitly less demons about. At least, ones you can see anyways." He eyed a flower or three hanging off the "trail" abit, he was tempted to pluck one... But... Hmm... Might be a bad idea... "Oh, should ask, does this forest have a name? Hell, maybe tell us something about it while we're walking through. Surely theres something fun about it." He occasionally paused to consider the others help where he can as he was one of the stronger folk here. And what was a knight if he left compatriots hasseled by foliage?

"Maybe some pleasant flowers to look for, we have some beauties in our party i'm sure they'd go lovely with em! Hahahaha!" He amused himself for a second, a quick hop over a log to follow the Bay pathway.

Melissa

Melissa's innocent mind would wonder why the one sharing the same bed wouldn't let you sleep, before thinking of it as sharing a bed with someone who couldn't stop talking, like Ophenia for instance. She would nod her head in response, as if she knew what he was talking about.

As the group will twist and turn in a seemingly random manner around the forest, Melissa wondered if it was really necessary for them to take such a difficult path, especially when they were to backtrack as they went their way. Unless they were trying to throw off something, or someone, from following them, in that case it would make sense to path in such a manner. She'd glance back just to check for good measure, before continuing on her way with the others. Or... perhaps they were pathing around that same entity, unknown to them as of now.

It was impressive how well Finn and Bay were able to traverse the terrain so well. Melissa on the other hand would lag behind a bit as it'd be her first time walking through such a forest, wearing such heavy armor as well. With all those years spent in the forge, she wasn't the most agile person. She made a mental note to herself to work on that in the future. Can't always be the slowpoke of the group!

Rowan Thorn
rowan.jpg
After about an hour, the barriers she had erected on everyone had disappeared. She didn't bother to put them up again, considering they were out of danger. In a battle, she could bring up more shields, and attack if necessary. "Ophenia, why would you discount your abilities like that? I'm sure you could make an epic tale that's sung for centuries to come, about your adventures." Though Ophenia somewhat putting herself down seemed kind of strange for the bubbly fairy.

When they went to rest, Rowan would find a nearby spot nearby, eager to contribute to their camp for the short while they were breaking.
Rowan cast her magic once she found a nice clearing near where they were- letting her barriers flow into curved squares- ten ten feet by ten feet squares, all coming together, the edges smoothing into each other to make a sum greater than it's parts. Any edges that were left over were smoothed together and erased into each other to make a single, large barrier. A large dome was revealed to the group, 100ft by 100 ft in a perfect circle, which should be enough for all six of them to sit comfortably for about an hour in relative protection. Though, if anyone easily broke her barriers at this point, the group was probably screwed anyway. There was a hole just enough for everyone to squeeze through, which would be covered by Rowan later on, when whomever went inside. If anyone asked, she would make little floating barriers as stools for them to sit on. The bubble provides a nice bit of shelter from whatever heat and sunlight were still left, which was nice- as it was a skill she had developed while in Ryken Academy. IT wasn't perfect yet, but if only she could push herself, it could stay up possibly more than an hour.

Either way, once that was done, Rowan would curiously look at the pillar, not sure what to make of it. Her time as a mercenary didn't exactly lend to being knowledgeable about things. She would defer to whoever knew more about it, or found out more about it. "Before we do any skin to stone contact, we should probably try to touch it with organic and inorganic stuff first before touching it. I'm not keen on getting burnt. But if not, maybe someone or someone with flight could look all around it to make sure there's nothing on top."

"Barriers are my bread and butter. IT's what I do. I used to be a one-trick pony, but I can do other things, if needed. The school does teach you magic, but you have to pass the test before you can get in. You get in with what you have, and they improve on your abilities. It's also a mostly safe place to sleep and a good place to get food. They also give clean uniforms, which is a plus- it helps my clothes budget immensely. IF you want to join the Academy for awhile, at the very least, I could get you or Ophenia or Melissa an invite to the entrance exam without being immensely rich, influential, and powerful." Rowan answered Finn, somewhat eager to talk about Ryken Academy. It wasn't for everyone, and she'd probably leave it soon, but it was a good stop point, considering the Underbelly bullshit that she had to deal with to even get invited to take the entrance exam. She didn't say anything to Seven, but Seven hadn't really talked to her, so she wasn't going to extend an invite to someone who hadn't really talked to her or acknowledged her very much outside of her blond knight companion Finn.

When seeing the catkin she stopped, tempted for a few moments to go after the cat, possibly catch it a few salmon, but she shook off the urge, considering that she was part of the group, and couldn't just go wandering by herself- if she threw up a barrier in time, it could be the difference between life and death. "I mean, yeah. With all of the magic and stuff that goes on in Ryken, it's hard to get really surprised anymore. The creature just wants salmon. It's being quite reasonable. It would be weirder if it attacked us. We're all in a group and armed. A single cat person wouldn't attack if it was in its right mind, which it seems to be." Looking for food seems totally reasonable in her eyes.

She wasn't sure why Bay was suddenly revealing his sexual history to everyone, but then again, it was probably to get a quip out in response to Melissa's words. She supposed it was good for him that he was sexually active. Though it did seem like he knew where they were going. Then again, she hoped he did- she really didn't want to get lost. She was following behind like the rest of them, making sure to take the pathway he took, as to not get lost.

Ophenianew.png
O' jade love, of delicate petals, wherefore hath thee been?
"F- fooled you?" Ophenia replied to melissa with a bemused tone and voice. This bemusement was genuine, she stared at Melissa with the confusion of a cat trying to comprehend its reflection. "I'm glad that I could somehow impress you just with my presence though!" Ophenia smiled as she cheerfully said. She then gasped to herself. "Wait. If you're impressed by my presence... Does that mean you're a newfound fan?!" Ophenia excitedly exclaimed as she went up to Melissa with brimming joy. She gently held Melissa's hands, "That's so great! I can't believe I get to go on a mission with a fan! This is delightful! Please continue to support me in the future, Miss Miranda!" Ophenia cheerfully said stars reflected her eyes. "Ahh! I should make badges and them out to my fans..." Ophenia mused, before turning back to Melissa with a cheerful smile on her face. "Miss Miranda, You're a blacksmith, right? It would be most pleasurable if I could use your services later! I'm so excited! I'll need to go check how much money I have leftover... hm." Ophenia said to the blacksmith girl, earnestly hoping that Melissa would help her out later after this quest.

As the group had arrived at their resting point, much like how Seven had noticed the pillar, Ophenia had too. Why? Because it looked pretty. "My, what an elegant design for a pillar in the middle of nowhere!" Ophenia exclaimed as she followed after Seven to the pillar. She then saw Seven's reaction to it, and couldn't help but laugh as Seven began to sit on the pillar. Ophenia's Resonator bobbed along with her giggles. "Oh my! Miss Seven aren't you just so adorable! You shouldn't sit on the pillar-like that, it might be dirty and you could ruin your feathers!" Ophenia said to Seven, with a cheerful smile as she stood up. "Actually, dirt isn't really that bad. But it'd hide your unique colour!" Ophenia exclaimed in a musing manner.

Ophenia would then turn to listen to Rowan. Rowan had given Ophenia somewhat of a pep-up, and Ophenia was ecstatic. "My oh my! Is that really what you think? That's so kind of you to say!" Ophenia said, holding her hands to her face. "Does this mean you've become a fan of mine as well? Ah! I'm so excited to start holding concerts again! I'm definitely gonna get badges for all my fans! Thank you ever so kindly, Ms Rianna!" Ophenia excitedly spoke, smiling cheerfully as she thought about the design for the badge. She continued to listen to what Rowan said as she spoke of the academy and how it teaches one how to improve their skills. The fae tentatively listened with starry eyes. It sounded so wondrous to the young Sylph who had never heard of something like that. "That is so amazing! I would love to go there one day. On the off-hand, I wouldn't really like the idea of attending it. Afterall! I'm a songstress wishing to bring my love to the world, I can't just stay in one place forever!" Ophenia replied to Rowan.

"But then you must be even more amazing if you could have gotten into such a prestigious place! I'm so glad for you! I'm so happy to know someone so wonderful and talented as you, Miss Rianna!" Ophenia praised Rowan. She warmly smile, as her bubbly tone failed to cease. Ophenia turned to see what had caught Rowan's attention. A tiny little cat person. Ophenia shrieked loudly like impulse. "AH! Oh, my eryngium, and thousand-night stars. That little creature... They were adorable! I wanna go hug it!" Ophenia spoke loudly, excitedly and very cheerfully. As much as she would've loved to, she couldn't stray far from the group.

Ophenia's attention would stray to something else though, Bay spoke of sleeping with people. Ophenia showed clear excitement on her face. "They have sleep parties at the pavilion?! Why didn't anyone tell us about this? Awe! A missed opportunity to learn the secrets of sleeping." Ophenia proclaimed, almost in a questioning manner toward Bay, still as revelling as ever. "I know!" Ophenia said out loud, as she clapped her hands. "Why don't we all have our own sleeping party? I've been planning activities for one ever since I learnt what they are! And it'd be a perfect opportunity to learn more about each other and bond and heighten our friendship! Ah! I can see it even now." Ophenia asked the group with a cheerful tone.

Of course, though, they had places to be and things to do, so Ophenia and the group couldn't just stay in one place and rest forever. They had to get a move on. So as they followed Bay's whimsical path, Ophenia couldn't help but feel enchanted. The rustling leaves, the earthy tones, the colour of flowers, and the forest in general. Ophenia loved every moment of it. She was reminded of Home. Ophenia could easily follow Bay's path, because to her, it felt like dancing. An odd dance, but dance it be. It was fun, like some sort of silly game. As she followed she couldn't help but hear what Finn had said, "You've met demons before Mister Finn?" Ophenia asked, "Aren't demons just like big fairies? Relishing in playing pranks on the unfortunate folk." The fae asked obliviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back