• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Jennos Enderl hums, and scratches his beard. He had just returned from inspecting the deceased, and speaking with the master of the melee. "According to the tourney reeve, Greydan's man struck him thrice. Somewhat... excessive- surely the first or second would have been enough to stun him. But, the dead lad's level of protective padding beneath his helm also left something to be desired."

Sir Bigge shakes his head. "However stupid the boy from Darndon might have been," he begins, "Greydan's man does not know how to conduct himself. He broke a man's fingers earlier this morning. I was at the fighting grounds earlier, and he is definitely a cruel bastard."

Tonis, your steward, urges caution. "Give this matter great thought, my lord. Your in-laws will not want their man harmed, nor will they want to pay blood money. Nothing short of a pardon for their servant will please them. They are in your presence here, while High Lord Cerham is not... they will expect you to take their side. However, word will doubtless spread to Darndon, if you do this. Consider your relationships with these men carefully."

1669180577238.png

Mallick Cerham, the High Lord of Darndon, is the most bellicose of the Low Land magnates. A son of Fyrdos who is more liked in the north more than he is in the south; there, he is opposed by many loyalists to King Tharon Grenn. The masters of Fynbroke, Uponhall, and Richwick all distrust him. He is particularly hated by the Lord of Midburgh. He is not in attendance at the feast, but is still on good terms with you.

Some say he plans to make war on Lord Phillip, Baron of Flamebay. This man is hated even by the loyalists, not to mention King Grenn himself. He has earned the especial ire of High Lord Mallick, however, for Phillip had kidnapped and married his daughter, Lady Dierdre, fifteen years ago. Many believe he plans to attack Rooster Keep and free her, but not before slaying his 'son-in-law'.

1669180283050.png

Your brother-in-law, Sir Greydan Eacciw. A man who is loyal to his men, and would consider his honour impugned if one of them was accused of foul play at a tourney. After the death of his elder brother from the bloody flux two years ago, Sir Greydan is now the heir to the lordship. He is in attendance at the feast.

1669179929418.png

Your father-in-law, Lord Declan Eacciw II. He is a vassal and senior marshal to the Baron of Thorpe, and the Lord of Daelstride. He quarrels occasionally with his son Greydan, but will also take his counsel. He is close to his daughter Royse, and has since become close friends with you as well. He is in attendance at the feast.

1669179905904.png

Lord Tobin Thorpe, a baron of Carmondy, and the maternal uncle of your vassal, Lord Telemar. A quiet man, he is kindly, if somewhat ungenerous at times. Many of his nephews and nieces have intermarried with yours.

Last edited:

• Galark runs his hand down his face as he receives the reports. "I see that they are doing what ever damage they an, very well then. I suppose Brightwood is renouncing his right to hold lands in the king's grace. Surely, there is a way for us to absorb the lands if only temporary." Galark theorized as he looked at the advisors assembled. This was going to be the last meeting before the host was set to march. Any last-minute discussion would have to be brought up now or wait until after he had returned from this campaign.

As his two advisors stated they would stay behind he would give them a nod. "Very well then, I trust you to ensure that the day to day things are looked after. Keep the progress on the fair grounds going as well. If we are lucky we might be able to host the fair this year," he concluded as he stood up from the table. Walking down to the courtyard suited for war with a sword at his side. He wasn't one to site back and watch the others fight he would join the frey with his men.

With that he gave the order for the host to march, 6 men abrest with half of his personal routine in the front and the other half towards the back to react to anything from the rear. The levies and the followers would be situated in the middle as the collum marching towards the staging point.

1668284195627.png

The march to Muldhold proceeds without incident, with the Ishtear forces arriving at the castle late in the afternoon. Soon, the banners of Ishtear intermingle with those of Dripwood, Muldhold, Justyn, and several more obscure families. All those that have heeded the call to arms have brought their own contingents.

Excluding the camp followers and other tagalongs that are not keen on fighting, the host numbers around two and a half thousand men. There have been larger armies raised than this... but with the blessing of Paragon, it should be enough to put down the rebellion of a single barony.

The men begin making camp and searching for temporary lodgings. It looks like the night will be spent here.

1668482522512.png

You and your high-ranking knights and officers are invited into the great hall, where an eventide meal is provided during the war council. Sir Thranton of Hippoward-Town is relatively deep in his cups, before the meeting even commences.

Some of your knights talk between themselves, wondering who will command this host. Though Lord Tarence Justyn heralded the call for help, he is merely a vassal to his liege, Lord Muldron. You are a baron, and a peer with Lord Muldron, but you are also brother-in-law to the king. The Baron of Dripwood seems to not have appeared in person, instead sending as captain one of his knights.

"I bid all of you welcome," the Baron of Muldhold begins, sitting at the head of the table as host. "As you all well know, my faithful servant here, Lord Tarence, has had his township usurped by the Brightwood bastards, who have taken to terrorizing my lands as well. Let us drink to their dooms, yet I must bid that you all keep a clear mind, for there are crucial matters that we must now deliberate," he says, casting a sidelong glance at the inebriated knight from Hippoward-Town. The Baron continues. "Let us discuss where we shall first strike. Shall we retake Justown first, or

"Lastran is threatened as we speak," another vassal of Muldron, Lord Lestrade, suddenly speaks up. "The first order of business should be to take the bridge, and destroy the harriers that are pillaging our lands. His lordship's estates have been attacked in these areas as well," he says, referring to his master.

"Some of the army could root them out," Lord Tarence says. "But we mustn't distract - ah, overcommit - ourselves. Justown must be retaken as well, if we are truly to be free of these foemen on our side of the river."

Sir Emmeck Saylor, a knight of renown serving as the commander of the Dripwood contingent, offers his view. "I really do not think Lord Rayridge is so foolish as to initiate this feud without any allies. The longer we dally before striking the head of the serpent - Brightwood keep - the longer he has time to strengthen his position."

Lord Lestrade shares a glance with Lord Tarence, and seems to scowl. "Would you have us leave our tenants to the slaughter?" the lord of Lastran asks. "My estates to be burned? Perhaps it is easy for you to suggest such a thing, considering your own lands are safe and sound behind the Dripping Mountains."

1668480584982.png

Many soldiers, including the common levies, your vassals and their retinues, as well as most of your own retainers, are obligated to provide fifty days [8 turns] of military service at their own expense. If kept in the field for longer, appropriate wages according to their rank will be expected to be paid.

Last edited:

"Sir Gawain, ride to the hamlets and villages in the areas bordering Fishers' Town, in both Sykes and Abercroft, to gather evidence and witnesses. Since the same barony is owed a country knight's service to Lord Kelton, I can dispatch a sealed letter ahead of your search in those lands to make the case for their consent, and cooperation, so that we may together bring justice, swift and true, to the accused. In the meantime, I will conduct an inquiry with Sir Arenos, any men of his found of use to this cause, and Lord-Abbot Kenric at Bernadock. We meet at Fishers' Town once our preparations are made, but we must take care to bait the trap before our first actions taken in this investigation can become known to Garton or any of his associates. He will be commended for his past role as 'Protector', and offered a new position suited to his low birth, one that he may appoint his own subordinates for, in upholding social order and forestry law."

"With any luck, he will name his lackeys to the available posts. As for you sergeant... Provide a description of Garton and this witness you had encountered for Father Mulley's hands to draw, so Sir Gawain doesn't let either slip past him. Afterwards, you'll make haste back to the Fishers 'Town garrison to deliver good news to Garton and await my arrival to settle this matter. Keep a close eye on all comings and goings to prevent warning or escape until then." Lord Roth carefully instructed. Was this why Sir Arenos offered Connway men-at-arms to accompany him? The reeve's unexpected offer reassured him that the earldom's laws must be able to be enforced in Bernadock if they could be spared, but they were ultimately unneeded. It worried him greatly that Sir Arenos' silence could mean that he himself was one of these 'associates' of Garton. Yet it was equally as likely that these ruffians slipped his vassal's mind. Fishers' Town was quite remote, after all. Even the witness that brought everything to his attention could ultimately become an unreliable source of information.

Then there was the matter of formally incorporating Fishers' Town. "As for bringing the settlement under my demesne, and requiring of them homage, the announcement will be made when Garton's guilt or innocence is laid bare. Public humiliation, and a few nights in my dungeons, should let us know whatever escaped our notice before their eventual execution, perhaps to take place in Bernadock."

🜲 3,559

Retinue​

13x Roth household knights (11x)
• Accompanying Bertram 2x
5x Roth country knight's (4x)
• Serving Lord Kelton
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms (20x)
• Accompanying Bertram 10x
25x Roth mounted sergeants (12x)
• Fishers' Town garrison 1x
• Crossroads outposts garrisons 6x
• Accompanying Bertram 6x
45x Roth valots (17x)
• Fishers' Town garrison 4x
• Crossroad outposts garrisons 24x

Apiary under construction (excess labor works on queued projects in the order listed), forester lodge retreats (2x), dry dock, are queued since turn 1.

Had enough labor to build 3x wooden towers at turn 1, hired enough carpenters and laborers from Bernadock and Anhur on turn 2 to potentially work on another project (beginning with the peat mine) each turn.

1) Garton and his associates are investigated, and if guilty, brought to justice.

2) Lord Roth conducts a surprise inspection of his retinue's horses and equipment, searching for signs of deficiencies and negligence.

3) Lord Roth consults with his advisors on the status of his neighboring fellow vassal in Walfirth.

Screenshot_20221108-040741~2.png

Wooden tower at each crossroads.

Peat mine at Watmarr.

Last edited:

Heeding the wisdom of his council, Robert agreed to move the host via land, and use the ships to carry the baggage and supplies that they would need. They swiftly found themselves entering the walls of Aldwyn as the significant host of men and horse darted across the lands to the west. Robert dismounted and greeted his uncle and cousins and replied "Uncle Mardas, even the arrival of fiends and undead to the forests of Avon Mowg would not keep me from coming to your aid in this time of need. Please, lead the way, I wish to hear more of the situation and what the war council thinks. Every moment matters and I will not be idle when others seek to profit and plunder from your lands." Robert looked to his rear where his closest men awaited. "Sir Maynard, Lord Cherbourg, and Lord Volstaff join me in this war council. The rest of you get some rest while you can. Respite will become precious in the coming days." With that, Robert proceeded to follow his Uncle to the keep and join the war council with his own closest advisors.

FancyFrenchman.png
Phillipe was always a bold man, he believed that nothing risked was nothing gained. That's why he leveraged his Valcay holdings for a massive influx of cash borrowed from the merchants in Delster. Unfortunately that particular gamble had left him in a difficult position when the invasion failed and all of his Valcayan lands were seized. Thankfully when he looked outside the window he saw opportunity. In order to pay back the loans taken out he just needed to get more holdings than he lost. The Lords of Skerry long plagued the House of Oriflamme, the peninsula on which his keep lay was separated from the rest of his holdings across the Flame Bay by the lands of the Skerrymen. At the moment the King was weak and the Island of Skerry was some distance from their mainland holdings. He was about to hit two birds with one stone, solving an old problem was about to solve a new one.

So he began to summon the Border Reivers to service. Phillipe had mastered the lightning swift movements with his raiding cavalry, under the cover of night a long line of professional cavalry would march across the bridge that separated his lands from the holdings of his island bound enemy. Their aim was to quickly subdue the knights and manors overseeing the villages and prevent any defense from being mounted, they would ignore completely the small garrison in the center of the territory until the enemy levy was suppressed. And so War came to the Flamebay Barony. Time would only tell if his surprise attack would succeed, dividing his forces worried Phillipe, especially as they were not that large a force, he had focused on speed and power, so only the mounted men were called up to serve this time around. But as he led the Chevauchee his nerves quickly settled and he began to reminisce about the day he and his wife were married. The wedding parade was shocked when Phillipe stormed the caravan and kidnapped the bride with his 10 best knights and Dierdre surely felt a thrilling fright. He felt forced to resort to such underhanded means when her father gravely insulted him by asking for a very high bride price to allow the marriage to take place, but then turned around and agreed to another proposal that was a far lower sum. After the wedding Phillipe sent a letter and one Gold Crown to his erstwhile father-in-law explaining that he would pay any sum of gold for his wife's sake but that the miserly Mallick Cerham deserved not one copper, so as a fitting bride price that would split the difference in their individual value he decided to send but a single Gold Coin.

Phillipe rode bravely onwards, leading his troops with great skill and élan in the field of battle. Glory was ahead of them, lady luck was behind them, their strength of arms and a heavy amount of cunning and dash would seize victory for the lot of them. Never one to balk at an opportunity, and fully capable of creating his own, this would be a momentous ride for Phillipe Oriflamme.

Oriflamme.png

Last edited:

• Amias listens carefully as the three present their knowledge and opinions of the incident. His cleric would shed some light on the details Amias had been missing when he hastily dismissed the tourney reeve in an effort to keep things orderly in the great hall.

The comments of his cleric and captain both establish the killer as quite a brute. It is difficult for the lord to believe that the slaying was as much of an 'accident' as first reports had suggested, after hearing of the accused's exploits throughout the day's tourney.

It was his steward's words that would bear the most weight, however. As had often happened, Tonis' input was of utmost importance. Amias would be made to better understand the stakes of his dilemma.

Amias mulled over the political situation. The Thorpes and Eacciws were some of House Enguerrand's strongest allies, and were also family. However, they very well could be considered adversaries in the same breath. In that regard, Amias clung to hope that he could keep the peace for a little longer; or at least end up on the winning side of the war.

The High Lord of Darndon was a volatile sort. Amias counted numerous fiefdoms of the Low Land whom he could think of that had negative opinions of Mallick, and recalled his ongoing feuds with the Lord of Midburgh and the Baron of Flamebay. Mallick ruled over an expansive demense, one that could surely produce a force of significance. However, if it were to come to blows, Amias believed the High Lord would find himself cornered by his foes some time before his benefactors in the Uplands could come to his side.
    --
    After these minutes of reflection and deliberation, Amias would come to his decision. Greydan's man would be pardoned. Amias had sympathies for the young soldier from Darndon, and held disdain for the reported cruelty of his murderer, but this decision could not be made with morals in mind; the interests of the lordship and the House were paramount. Those interests included not being run over by a host of the borderlords.

"We must grant clemency to the retainer, though this vexes me, and it must be done with discretion. I take no side, but I am careful with my dispensing of justice; the killing...cannot be proven to have been a murder." Amias stated to his advisors. Having served him for many years, it may be clear to them that this was not Lord Amias' true opinion. However, it was the opinion that could be taken, and the story that would be spun. It was the middle-ground. House Enguerrand would side with the borderlords, but do so while cloaked in an armor of reasonableness. Though, Lord Mallick was not the most reasonable man, and the lack of a trial certaintly weakened this facade. To some, it would be apparent that Lord Amias was toeing the line.

As the day's feast concluded, Amias would bid his guests a jovial farewell, unwilling to let the murder interrupt nor sully the occasion anymore than it already had. Though he wouldn't personally bring it up, being wary to share his thoughts on the incident in the presence of several lords and lordlings of dubious loyalty, he would make time to touch base with his in-laws. If they wished to discuss the incident beyond Amias' public, though discrete, taking of their side, Amias would be willing.
    --
    On the second day of the festivities, the lord would be joined by his guests and vassals on a leisurely ride through his lordship, from the castle to the town and back, along with some falconry along the way. Along with his vassals, his advisors, some of his knights and his guests and their entourages, the party would consist of upwards of a score of horsemen. This sizeable group would no doubt draw the attention of the smallfolk and townlings, whom had seldom saw such a large force moving through the lordship during peacetime.

Along the way, Amias would converse with his notable guests and his vassals some more, particularly aiming to catch up with his nephew Alaric, whom was absent on the day of the feast. He would avoid discussion of the events of yesterday, but also try to avoid being unusually distant to his in-laws.
    --
    In the following days, Amias would reflect on and seek to wrap up affairs he had been tending to since the beginning of spring.

Prospectors and a detachment of retainers had traveled to the hills nearby to Rystreck, which were assumed to be unclaimed lands. Amias would seek to follow-up on reports of what they found, or encountered.

A steward had been sent to a quarry in Midburgh to gauge the cost of transporting stone back to Sherfield for a path between the town and castle. Amias would meet with Tonis to discuss the findings. Though taking a lesser place in importance in light of recent events and the acquisition nearby Hedgeton, Lord Amias always tried to keep his options open. He expected the report to be pretty general, since the idea of the project had only just been conceived.

Amias would also meet with Tonis to charge him with surveying the hills nearby Hedgeton which Amias had purchased rights for from the master there, Lord-Sheriff Daric Graffoth. Before ordering the building of any infrastructure there, Amias wanted details on how best to exploit the hills' resources.

Fortified sentries had been constructed at the crossroads between the castle and Fyrgren's holding, manned by Lord Enguerrand's personal retinue, and nearby the village of Holmfirth, garrisoned by men of Lord Telemar. Amias would send a party of his soldiers to the second of the two posts to do two things; reinforce Morran's men there, in light of recent events concerning Darndon, and to evaluate the status of tolls taken at the outpost. When Lord Enguerrand had given Lord Telemar command of the sentry, he had allowed Morran to take tolls there to pay for upkeep, but had strictly stated that those tolls could not be extortionate. With the trouble with Lord Mallick, the importance of that has become two-fold. So, the detachment of Lord Enguerrand's men will ensure that these guidelines are being followed. The plan would be to recall or entrench the men once the situation regarding Lord Mallick had developed. While giving Charibert the last say on the particulars of who goes where, per usual, Lord Enguerrand would suggest a small, but well-armed, party of mounted sergeants and men-at-arms.

Finally, Amias would check for any pending correspondence. About a month ago, he had sent letters to lords Torrek and Mallick, of Lanidor Castle and Darndon respectively. In those letters, he had hoped to find the two in good health, and offered them assistance in whatever matter they may need assisting with. Further, Amias had sent messengers to Lord Lanidor to inform him of the illegal tolls taken by the lords of Moyes and Chepsworth, those having been taken from Amias' dignitaries travelling to Hedgeton to speak with Lord-Sheriff Graffoc. With tensions building after the incident at the melees, it was important to stay up to date with any communique either local ruler had sent in reply to Lord Enguerrand.

Last edited:

• Your horses are given fodder, and the men are given some bread and ale by the residents of the castle.

Your uncle Mardas welcomes you and your close lieutenants to the great hall of Aldwyn Castle. You soon sup at a war council with him, where the wine is rather watery, but for good reason.

At the long table, you notice a steward in the heraldry of the Baron of Swanton. There are also knights commanding contingents from the Dripwood Barony and Harjaw Lordship - they are Sir Pearson and Sir Othwold, respectively. The castle chaplain leads the assembled lords and captains in prayer to Paragon before the meal.

1669777675137.png

Afterwards, Lord Mardas initiates the session. "I welcome you all, friends from Berngard. Lords Cherbourgs, Volstaff. Valorous blood runs in all your veins. Now, there is ill news. Scarwin and Yonbry pennons have been witnessed flying among those of the vile harriers from Myre. Doubtless, these pauper baronies have their eyes on the fertile plains that the noble Lord Jetrin and I command."

1670207634545.png

"Yes," Jetrin's steward nods, speaking with his authority. "And now that they've seized the marshland estates of your good uncle, I believe that this unholy triumvirate plans on putting Swanton Keep to siege next. If that fortress is taken, lands as far down as Meskfirth will be threatened - and more importantly, Wesgrath will be vulnerable to being sacked," he says. "We should take our time to prepare. This has escalated quickly, and we need a bigger army; time to raise levies, hire mercenaries. My scouts tell me that the enemy is digging in, and taking defensive positions in the hills. It would be costly for us to bring our horses to bear on them - it is bad ground. They are spread thinner in the hills south of Haldrup, where they have begun attacking my master's lands. If we are to attack, we must do it there."

1669777521473.png

Your other uncle, Lord Philip, speaks up. "We are already at a disadvantage. Lord Bomric will be gathering footmen in the hills and marshes. We should strike them at once," he suggests. "Sack Oading, and burn the village and hamlets outside Ramscrest castle. Moreover... we mustn't allow them time to consolidate supplies and gather a host capable of threatening Swanton Keep. I fear the large hamlets in the Barony of Swanton that lie closest to enemy lines are... already doomed, and that we would be wasting valuable time, if we sought immediate vengeance."

1670210034573.png

Last edited:
Robert carefully listened to the war council and weighed the merits of each member's input. Lord Jetrin's steward seemed like a cautious man. Perhaps, too cautious. He provided valuable intel and insights to the enemy's positions and intent. However, the enemy had the initiative. It would be folly to simply wait and see while the alliance shored up its armies with supplies and levies while the enemy continued to act with impunity and uncontested. No, the battlefield had to be shaped in a manner that benefited the alliance, and not acting now ensured that future battles will be dictated on their terms.

With this in mind, Robert spoke up "Indeed, by allowing the bandit lords to continue to maraud freely, we will be allowing them to further capitalize on their initiative and allow them to dictate future battles on their terms if we allow them to consolidate. I agree with Lord Philip, we must strike back immediately to cause them to bleed for the lands they dare to steal rather than allow them to continue to pillage in comfort. If we had a significant mounted contingent to conduct a lightning fast chevauchée through their lands, then they will be forced to respond to us and fight us on our terms unless they are willing to see their villages all burn. Sack Oading, burn the villages around Ramscrest Castle, and flood their strongholds with refugees that will drain their supplies, money, and manpower."

"Tell me, how are the lands around Oading? If the ground is firm, then my men and I can immediately ride or set sail with all haste to quickly sack the countryside. After, my men and I can head south on horse to attempt to further burn the villages around Ramscrest if possible, but if it proves too treacherous, we can rejoin the main host."

Phillippe was quite upset, perhaps even angry. The Baron was looking forward to having an unopposed crossing as he hoped to smash the skerrymen while they were still in their beds. Quickly he calmed down however, this was no time to flinch, with one swift motion the battle could still be carried in the end. Rather than retreat, Phillippe decided that he would take the bridge in a valiant charge. "While disappointing, this eventuality was not unexpected. I shall take all the knights, as well as 20 men at arms who will follow behind us. It's yet early spring and the snowmelt has not replenished the waters to full. We make for the enemy as though we intend to cross the bridge, but at the last every man shall follow the one in front as I break left at full gallop. There is a small ford just to the left of Godsbridge, we cross there and smash into this rowdy mobs backside. At the blowing of the Horn, Lord Ryker will take the rest of the Cavalry and with his wild dash and daring cut into the other flank by charging across the ford on our right. Horall, you take the entirety of the lights, our skirmishers that is, to the top of the hill and do as you please until we push every skerry dog off of the bridge, and then off of the mainland."
Battle of Godsbridge.pngRed is Baron Phillippe, Orange is Lord Ryker with the other Cavalry, and Yellow is Horall with the Ranged Troops
There was no need to wait very long, as soon as everyone was gathered under their commander and positioned correctly, Phillippe Oriflamme motioned his disciplined Diamond shaped knot of cavalry forward, already Horall was raining quarrels and stones down upon the foe, hitting many of the militia and archers who were in the open and vulnerable compared to the Armored Crossbowmen in forest cover. Phillippe swiftly galloped forwards, banner flying high and he shouted "Courage men, we fly under the flag of St. Olivier as we complete his conquests! Onward!" The flaming pendant shone bright against the green backdrop of the forest. They quickly gathered speed, hooves thundering against the road leading to the bridge, but just as it seemed the column would fly across brick construct he suddenly cut left and blew a great Horn. Phillippe could not see the battle on the other side of the bridge but he heard a great commotion as Ryker surely pulled off his end of the engagement. Behind Phillippe the diamond shaped horde of horsemen easily and smoothly pulled up alongside him, still in formation as they ran unabated across the low waters of the stream. Soon they raced up the opposite embankment and turned once more, rapidly gaining on the enemy and finally, with lowered lance they charged, this time fully sprinting their mounts, some even using their spurs. The Battle of Godsbridge had begun in full and now it was up to the clash of men and arms to carry the day.

• Sir Gawain is provided the likeness of both Garton and the disgruntled villager, after Father Mulley spends the better part of an hour putting his ink to parchment. The sketch of the alleged criminal ringleader is on one side, with the peasant man on the other. He bows, and leaves with several men to investigate in your name. The sergeant returns to Fishers' Town as well.

Later, Sir Gawain reports back to you that he sought out audiences with what passed as the local nobility around the Fishers' Town. He visited three small manors; one belonged to the knight that was currently outside of the country, another to a man-at-arms that was giving paid service at the garrison in Stirgred, and the last to a man-at-arms that was of some distant relation to the Lord of Larsly. The last man accompanied Sir Gawain on his return trip. When he met you, he promptly knelt and swore loyalty to your earldom.

Your knight Gawain goes on. "None of those men - or well, their servants, for the most part, I should say - were particularly helpful. I believe our last man is simply getting the formalities out of the way, and have his service and lands renewed under a new liege. The bailiff of the absentee knight is a man hated for his grain speculations, as is Garton. Half of the sorry farmers around here owe either of them a loan." However, apparently these two are foes to one another. If one of our sergeants claims that Garton was dishonest, then take mine own judge of character; the bailiff is much the same! Just had a weaselly look about him. What was his name... ah, Pollard. Maybe we should have them both strung up," your marshal suggests. "Now, there was a lady of the manor about, but she sent that vile henchman to speak with me, instead of giving me audience with herself. Insolent wretches, the lot of them - I was paid only minimal courtesies, despite being envoy from their new liege lord. From the others I've spoken to in your new fiefdom, it seems that Garton has the land gripped by its roots. He has many eyes and ears among the farmers... so, mayhap I've already attracted some attention, what with all my asking about. Additionally, Garton has sway over a great many men. Some may be victims, some more associates, some more something in-between. What if he puts an otherwise competent local man as one of his aides, for appearances' sake?"

Later, Father Mulley regales you about the other noble magnate. The Barony of Envale, named after the township of the same name, is held by Lord Teycan Firth out of Walfirth Keep. He has his origins in the township of Envale, whose charter he holds. Teycan is known for his fondness of food and drink, has a big, bushy beard, and an aledrinker's gut.

The sprawling town has low standards for building integrity. It is quite crowded, with six thousand people living in and around it. Minor internal affairs are left to their mayor, and trade concerns to the licensed guilds. The Baron holds ultimate authority over designating the captain of the town guards, which are supplemented by Firth retainers. The town is known for its goat cheese biscuits, venison roasts, and cranberry wine.

Lord Philip, Baron of Flamebay, and Duc Selastin of Sunwick hold a few odd manors in these lands.

Vassals to Lord Teycan Firth include Lord Etlas of Barsfold and Lord Aemric of Troisby. The former is the Royal Bookkeeper for the crown properties in and around Sunwick, while the latter's son is the steward of his liege Lord Teycan.

The mounts and equipment in your retinue are reckoned.

roth retainers.png

While most of your knights of note possess a riveted jackoplates, ten of your regular household knights lack this additional layer of protection. Of the ten that do not have the jackoplates, eight at least have steel schynbalds, poleyns, or cowters to supplement their mail harness. Two knights wear mail harness only (although they do have greathelms); you are aware that the Sykes country knights, along with several unknighted squires and men-at-arms in your retinue, are equipped in a similar fashion.

Regarding the mounts, four household knights lack mail trappers for their horses; two make due with padded caparisons, one knight uses hardened leather, and the last rides a courser covered with nothing but her saddle.

All your men-at-arms have coats of mail, mail coifs, and long sockmail. Some of your men-at-arms lack proper mail mittens, going with bare hands or soft leather gloves. Eighteen men-at-arms do not have a caparison or padded trapper for their mount, and ten of them ride cheap saddle horses.

Several men-at-arms (and many more sergeants) lack surcoats or tabards, wearing only plain mail with no visible heraldry or device.

Some of the saddle horses used by your sergeants are rather old, and one is swaybacked. Your senior ten or so sergeants wear full coats of mail, though sometimes missing the coif or mittens. The rest of the sergeants only wear mail shirts with partial sleeves, though sometimes still with an integrated hood. Your poorest three sergeants only wear a sleeveless mail corslet over a tunic, with an iron skullcap. Seven sergeants have mail chausses, while one has full sockmail.

All of your valots wear padded armour and helmets, with fifteen also having mail hoods or capes. Most of the valots possess heraldric tabards, or at least wear the colours of your family on regular tunics - or else have a small, stitched on coat-of-arms. However, five of the youngest valots wear no armour besides steel skullcaps. All your valots possess swords, and the majority are familiar with horsemanship and crossbow usage. Their training aside, your valots are more or less (though usually more) equipped similarly to levied foot soldiers and horsemen. Some of your valots wear gamboised cuisses... usually blue.

There are fifty-two crossbows with iron stirrups. A few have iron prods, but most are of wood or bone. A select few are the newer, more complicated designs which include spanning mechanisms. Regardless of their various differences, your crossbows are mostly only suitable for use on foot.

There is also a reasonable selection of glaives, maces, battle axes, cleavers, and miscellaneous staff weapons. The soldiers of the retinue have their swords, shields, and lances in good order.

Two stake-throwing arblasts are mounted on the castle walls.

arblast.png

The engineer in charge of the arblasts requests 🜲 3 for some tune-ups.

Sir Gawain requests twenty-five new arming swords made of fine steel from the bloomeries in Sunwick, worth 🜲 45.

Your arming squire reports on your own equipment, which is all well-polished. As an earl, you're one of the more well-protected men on the field; you possess a flip-visored greathelm, segmented pauldrons, case greaves, and plate elbow and knee cops. Your body is covered by a jackoplates of brown velvet. Beneath your plate accoutrements, you wear a full-sleeved habergeon terminating in individually-fingered gloves of mail. You have mail stockings for your legs, with mail shoes able to be tied on. Your base layer of armour consists of a padded arming jacket, of which you have multiple.

armor earl of sykes.png

Last edited:
Robert replied "You wish us to immediately ride forth to Swanton Keep where the enemy will have had weeks if not months to prepare for our expected arrival? If there is to be a trap, then I would expect the trap to be there where they will have the opportunity to dig in and fortify their positions. Heading straight towards the bulk of the Bandit Lords host to fight in open battle is folly. We must focus on destroying their ability to wage war. Let them know hunger as they spend cold weeks outside the walls of Swanton Keep with no food, supplies, or reinforcements. Speed and aggression are key here. We will need cavalry patrols to interfere with their ability to forage around the lands of Swanton Keep and a strategic raid to destroy their abilities to move supplies and men by burning their villages. It will not be a gallant, decisive and swift victory, but such is the nature of war. They must be broken not in body, but in spirit so that they dare not raise even a finger in retaliation. Else, this war will drag on, more men will die, and more villages will burn." with passion as he began to slowly began to grow frustrated.

Robert took a deep breath before speaking with a more sullen tone. "Jetrin, perhaps you are right, and that they have laid a trap near Oading. We do not know if that is the truth, but this is crucial information we MUST find out as it means that the main host near Swanton Keep is not as numerous as we believe it is to be. I propose that we send a mounted host to conduct reconnaissance in force around Oading to discover if there indeed is a trap there. If there is a trap and many of the Baron of Myre's host are hidden there, then this mounted host should rush back to deliver news. We can then strike the host at Swanton Keep with numerical superiority. HOWEVER, if there is no such trap near Oading, then the mounted host should proceed with the devastation of the region and conduct chevauchée. Is this agreeable to all? In both situations, we bring the fight to the enemy and attempt to take back initiative from the Bandit Lords."

It was a glorious victory for the Barony, unfortunately some men were slain, but that is the way of things when battle is engaged. After the pursuit ended and the forces reassembled, Phillippe dismissed the heavily wounded and suggested they also bury the dead at Trambley Priory. He gave the valiant Man-at-Arms in his personal service a respectable reward for the loss of his digits. "Horall, your men are yet fresh no? I dislike the fact those craven cavalrymen escaped unharmed. Send some swift and skilled scouts to tail the enemy and report back to us. The Campaign is not yet over. Allow the men to loot the battlefield today and set up camp on this side of the river." Phillipe was tempted to retreat back to his own lands and assemble the footmen, he had lost the element of surprise and wanted reinforcements. But instead, the Baron merely composed a letter which told his bannermen that they were being called up, to assemble at Godsbridge, and thenceforth march on the central fort in enemy lands. He didn't want another battle at the Bridge and so this invasion would quickly turn to a Chevauchee, distracting the enemy through acts of pillage, at least until his infantry was assembled.

Lord Amias would take the ten crowns from his in-laws and triple it, before doing his best to send the money to the slain noble's family. Hopefully, with the payment of this lump sum, Amias could smooth things over if only just slightly; it was better than doing nothing. Along with the payment, Amias would send a heartfelt letter describing great sorrow and sympathy which Amias held for the Darndon boy and his family.

The news of Alaric's departure was bittersweet. Amias' nephew had always been a very scholarly, introverted and introspective man, though he had done his duties and ascended to landed knighthood as was expected as a man of the House. Albeit, Amias had always known that Alaric sought greater things than the overseeing of such a pitiful place as Argenlonge; though the news still takes Amias by surprise. Though, after further thinking, it was no surprise at all. If Alaric didn't go now, he may not end up having the chance. Part of Amias feels ashamed that Alaric would leave for this journey to Gorwad when he was needed most to defend his family's lands, but another part felt proud and relieved that Alaric would get this shot at a higher education. If any of his kin could achieve such a thing, it would be Alaric. With that in mind, Amias would bid Alaric his leave, granting the good Sir Rullen, former sworn-sword to Estienne, charge of the fief of Argenlonge in Alaric's absence.

Several developments and queries had been rendered infeasible by the heightening of tensions following the accident at the tourney, at least in the opinions of Amias' advisors and subjects. Thus, Amias would need to put on hold both the mining operations nearby Hedgeton and Rystreck, AND the construction of a path between the castle and town with stones from Hedgeton. This is less than fortunate, and the hostilities have proven to be bad for business even before becoming open hostility.

Amias' correspondence with Lord Torrek had been returned. The old lord was glad to gain assurances about going unmolested in Torrek's vassals' lands, though this would not be as beneficial in the short term as it would be had the mining operation nearby Hedgeton gone forward. Also in Lord Lanidor's letter, he had spelled out his allegiance to King Grenn, praised Lord Enguerrand's decision-making to do with the death at the tourney, and sought a united front against possible treachery on behalf of the angered High-Lord of Darndon. While at face value this appears to be a valuable alliance, Amias is reminded of the true state of affairs to the north. Lord Lanidor may be a good, loyal man, but he is weak and his hold on his lands is hollow. The lords of Moyes, Chepsworth, Granswold and so on would make their own decisions based on the fluctuation of the balance of power.

Despite this lack of centralization of power to the north, Amias would return Torrek's letter with indication that House Enguerrand would stand with House Lanidor against any move from Darndon, and essentially enter into a defensive pact. However, this alliance of two alone still did not guarantee the safety of Sherfield, and as a result Amias would seek out more allies for the possibly upcoming conflict.

First, a missive would be penned directed to Baron Thorpe and his vassals from Daelstride, Amias' in-laws. In this letter Amias would seek cooperation in the face of hostilities much the same way Torrek had done in his letter. Amias would not forget to mention that it was his taking of Greydan's side which had landed him into hot water with High Lord Cerham, and thus, expects that the Carmons will defend his decision and the outcomes of it.

Next, Amias would attempt to send messengers to High Lord Cerham's other foremost rivals; the Lord of Midburgh and Baron of Flamebay. The most direct routes for these messengers would pass through High Lord Cerham's territory, while an alternative route would see his messengers travel through Carmon territory; Amias would suggest the alternative route, but seek advice on the matter. These letters would inform the two lords of the developments regarding High Lord Cerham, and suggest that should a conflict begin, it would make for a perfect opportunity for old scores to be settled. Against the combined mights of Sherfield, Lanidor, Midburgh and Rooster Keep, High Lord Cerham would stand little chance; even less so if lords Declan and Tobin stood with them.

Last edited:

"It appears that we have both erred." Edsel reflected solemnly, considering Gawain's warnings and advice for a moment before rising to his feet. "Let us ride together to Fishers' Town, and finally stamp out the evil I had originally sailed there to vanquish then."

Even if this Garton Rust-rings flees, that bailiff Pollard hides, and all of Fishers' Town gathers to pull him from his horse as quickly as his banners come into view, Lord Roth will have his justice. Sometimes decisive solutions are the best course in turbulent waters. Removing them from the picture could give the lowborn a chance to markedly improve their station. Working for their own benefit, or even better Lord Roth's, was a step in the right direction to say the least of it.

"As for the state of my retinue... What use do we have of so many arming swords Gawain?" He asked his marshal, nevertheless willing to oblige far more than his humble request. War was coming, and if his vassals saw their lord preparing for it, perhaps they'd see all the need to ready themselves too. His prepared list was exhaustive sure, perhaps even excessive, but in his opinion exactly what it would take to reinvigorate a force that had fallen into decline. Whether his army will soon march to Carmon or Fyrdian lands, only Paragon Emmortal knew, yet the young earl would have himself know that everything in his power was done to bring as many as his men as possible as good fortune allows back home from the battlefields of the future. Not to mention, he'd at last have an opportunity to get some insight into Duke Selastin of Sunwick's present disposition towards the Crown.

🜲 2,429.75

Retinue​

13x Roth household knights (7x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 4x
• Serving Lord Kelton 1x
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms (15x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 5x
45x Roth valots (17x)

Forester lodge retreats under construction 2x (excess labor works on queued projects in the order listed), apiary, dry dock, are queued since turn 1.

1) Lord Roth heads to Fishers' Town to hang Garton, arrest Pollard as well as wait to receive answers for the bailiff's actions from the absentee knight (if satisfactory half the sum of the peasantry's debts is paid to settle accounts or if lacking the debt is waived entirely and any peasants offered serfdom under Lord Roth), and donate three hundred sets of commoner clothes to the peasantry in the hopes of being a start in earning their favor, improving their living conditions, and raising their productivity (🜲 -30).

2) The retinue is overhauled via domestic acquisition and Sunwick imports, particularly egregious inadequacies in required steeds and equipment that are determined to be the fault of soldiers will warrant minor disciplinary action / token fines. Capable squires are knighted, and replaced with fresh faces. Light target practice is scheduled for the castle's pair of arblasts.

Eight steel helmets (🜲 -?)

Sell three iron skullcaps and five steel skullcaps once all steel helmets are acquired (🜲 +?)

Ten sets of riveted jackoplates (🜲 -500)

Twenty-one mail corselets (🜲 -105)

Twenty-four sets of mail stockings (🜲 -120)

Sell seven mail chausses once all mail stockings are acquired (🜲 +?)

Two sets of steel schynbalds/poleyns/cowters (🜲 -?)

Five sets of padded tunics (🜲 -1.25)

Ten war horses (🜲 -250)

One saddle horse (🜲 -5)

Four sets of mail trappers (🜲 -?)

Sixteen sets of padded caparisons (🜲 -?)

Sell one set of hardened leather once all horse armor is acquired (🜲 +?)

Twenty-five arming swords (🜲 -45)

Replacements/issuing for those missing/lacking mail hoods and mail mittens above the rank of varlot (🜲 -?)

Screenshot_20221108-040741_2.png

Peat mine at Watmarr.

Last edited:

• After the conference at Muldhold, the decision was made to march on Justown, with stops to secure the bridge at Lastrahn and to sack the village of Waralsar. The war council at Muldhold agreed to place Lord Galark in command of their army, though how much he ultimately relied on their counsel is unknown.

A battle later occurred near the village of Waralsar. Hundreds of Brightwoodsmen forded the river and attacked the alliance's camp during the evening, before they had a chance to attack the settlement. The men of Ishtear, Muldhold, and the Dripping Mountains only had a few minutes to assemble into a hasty formation before meeting the enemy's charge - the fighting soon devolved into a brutal melee.

1677188064702.png

Lord Haython of Waralsar is said to have lead his levies in the initial charge, but Duc Selastin's troop of horse was not far behind him. Leading ducal retainers and heavily-armed city militia from Sunwick, he intervened at a crucial point during the battle.

Lord Selastin is known to be unpredictable. He served as the commander of the rearguard at the Battle of Mournai, and received some blame for being unable to rescue King Agbert. Many say this is why he was passed over as a candidate to marry Princess Isania, something known to have caused him resentment. He had managed to hide it well, until now.

Lord Magnus Lystos, vassal of the Styervrigante family and Lord of Lystria, took a lance to the neck during the battle. Sir Emmeck Saylor, the knight leading the contingent of mostly foot soldiers from the Dripping Mountains, was also killed, along with a majority of his men. Hoffrey Tallard, the mayor of Hippoward-Town, was trampled and drowned in the river after being unhorsed. Sir Pherron and Sir Janor, knights of Ishtear, fought to the death in the defence of their Baron, killing many men alongside their lord, who showed great skill at arms before he was finally outnumbered and hacked to death. Some say that it was the Duke himself who slew Lord Galark in the field. Still, most say he was simply cut down by a gang of Sunwick men-at-arms. When the noble Galark finally fell, great cruelty was shown to the corpse of the young Lord, which is said to have been stripped and beheaded.

Lord Lestrade of Lastran, Lord Tarence Justyn, and his eldest son Sir Amias Justyn were captured. Lord Justin, Baron of Muldron managed to escape.

1677205374419.png 1677189851771.png

With the death of the king's own brother-in-law at the hands of the belligerent nobles, the crown will be forced to respond - even a duke now counts themselves among the lawless lords. Rumors are spreading that King Edmund has tasked either Sir Argane, Grand Marshal, or his younger brother Prince Altosh to raise an army and head north to quell the murderous uprising that has begun. The question remains, however, whether the southern barons will be willing to mobilise yet again - especially now under Edmund's banner.

Last edited:

"Send messengers to Abercroft, Belstrad, and Stirgred. Propose a rally of our retinues and levies in Penrith for a march on Sunwick." Edsel instructed Gawain, bidding him to raise Sykes' own if all three indicate their approval before addressing the other nobles that had joined him at Sir Arenos' estate in Bernadock shortly after his arrival with Garton and the bailiff for the former's execution and the latter's interrogation, many of his records brought to the port for Bertram's reading upon the steward's return from the Southlands. "I urgently require counsel on Baron Teycan's current deposition towards Duke Selastin. Is he to be trusted friend or foe in the days ahead? The man has ties to not only Sunwick, to my deep concern, but also Flamebay, lands both ruled by traitor-lords. I suspect that the Duke would not support Brightwood without guarantee that his flanks are secure."

In all likelihood, the royal army would march along the Northlands River, moving to relieve Hippoward, now oddly renamed Galarhold, before proceeding on to Muldhold, breaking out the beleaguered defenders from their sieges if they held out until reinforcements arrived. From there, Brightwood, and Sunwick itself would fall, that is if the Crown's forces weren't defeated on the open field first. The situation looked grim, yet if only Baron Teycan could be persuaded to side against the rebels, or at least is overcome by Lord Roth and his allies quickly, Brightwood and Sunwick would be stretched very thin with a second front threatening Wellshine Priory, not to even mention the potential Sinburne had to take Bursack. That is, if they too weren't conspiring with the enemy or waiting for a clear victor.

Hopefully, he'd soon receive word of Bertram's return. Getting his servant to trade with the Southlands could prove very profitable indeed now that both mouths of the Northlands River were firmly in rebel hands, especially with the lands to it's west bank completely ravaged. His steward had the potential to bring much-needed coin, luxuries, and, depending on his judgment, equipment for the war back with him from the long voyage. The cog itself presented another means to strike out at Duke Selastin, but, thankfully, the early battles had not limited his options thus far.

🜲 2,329.75

Retinue
13x Roth household knights (7x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 4x
• Serving Lord Kelton 1x
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms (15x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 5x
45x Roth valots (17x)

Forester lodge retreats under construction 2x (excess labor works on queued projects in the order listed), apiary, dry dock, are queued since turn 1.

1) Attempts to organize the raising of a loyalist army with neighbors. Sykes' own levy is called up if they respond favorably.

2) Asks advisors and vassals about the side Lord Teycan will likely choose. Edsel gifts the baron 🜲 50 in wine, spices, and fish for his table, and inquires if ten sets of the finest quality jackoplates his smiths can produce, 🜲 500 worth of armor, can be made for the loyalist cause to feel him out. The coin is sent under guard immediately if there is no doubt to Lord Teycan's loyalty to King Edmund.

3) Garton is interrogated, tortured and executed. Pollard is interrogated and kept in an adjacent cell with poor accomodations and rough treatment for the duration of the torturing. The goal is to identify Garton's and the bailiff's accomplices, and then bring them to justice to receive proportionate punishment for their crimes.

Any weapons and armor in acceptable condition seized from Garton, Pollard, and their associates are taken to the armory.

4) Smiths across the earldom are gathered in Sykes and Bernadock to make armor and weapons as quickly as quality can allow, with no reasonable expense spared to ensure the craftsmen are given optimal conditions and sufficient incentive to fulfill orders placed to Lord Roth's satisfaction (🜲 -?).

Eight steel helmets (🜲 -?)

Sell three iron skullcaps and five steel skullcaps once all steel helmets are acquired (🜲 +?)

Twenty-one mail corselets (🜲 -105)

Twenty-four sets of mail stockings (🜲 -120)

Sell seven mail chausses once all mail stockings are acquired (🜲 +?)

Two sets of steel schynbalds/poleyns/cowters (🜲 -?)

Four sets of mail trappers (🜲 -?)

Sixteen sets of padded caparisons (🜲 -?)

Sell one set of hardened leather once all horse armor is acquired (🜲 +?)

Twenty-five arming swords (🜲 -45)

Replacements/issuing for missing/lacking mail hoods and mail mittens (🜲 -?)

Screenshot_20221108-040741_2.png

Peat mine at Watmarr.

Last edited:

• Every day now, Amias woke with a sense of dread and angst. Each day, he wondered whether it would be the last where he, his family and his subjects would enjoy any sort of normalcy or peacefulness. Though the mood had long been teetering to the side of malevolence, even before Agbert's shameful end at Merlions and Hiberion's unpopular succession, nothing so grievous to be seen as possibly actionable by the Lowlands' local masters and Marchlands' western borderlords had occurred until that fateful day on the tourney grounds. As heralds brought news of feuds' boiling over in much of northern Carmondy, Amias watched the same pattern unfold in his own area. Years old rivalries brought to bear when the smallest justification could be made for it. It so happened, that the smallest excuse that would place Sherfield into the center of another escalation, took place there in the castle itself.

Lord Amias disliked war. As a nobleman and lord of his house he of course understands, studies, respects it and prepares for it; but he could not personally stand it. War had taken so many that he loved and too many had been lost for something so insignificant as a few heads of cattle, rights to toll a road, or an unimpressive cropfield. Geoffrei, Amias' father and predecessor, had not loved peace like his son would. However, times were different then -- there was little unity or likeness shared between Sherfield and her neighbors; the civility, or pacification, brought on by Agbert's conquests had not yet discouraged the endemic raiding and feuding that used to plague the Lowlands in kind with the warlike practices to the far north of Fyrdos. Perhaps, more than likely, it was Geoffrei's embrace of war that bred and enabled Amias' distaste for it.
    --
    House Enguerrand would admittedly be at a disadvantage in a pitched conflict with the Lord of Darndon and all of his vassals. Not only in numerical strength, but also battle-hardedness. Though Captain Bigge did his duty in keeping the retinue well-trained andwell-maintained, as well as there being no shortage of brigands and other outcasts to whet their blades now and again, it had been some time since Amias had raised levies, formed a host, and the men of Sherfield had marched to war.

As such, Amias sought to even these odds. If he must meet Mallick, he would not meet him head on and alone - that would be a fool's errand. Within days of the incident, Amias formed a pact against aggression from the east with the Barony of Thorpe - Lord Tobin had been quick to agree to an alliance, which was a relief. While Houses Enguerrand and Thorpe had long enjoyed friendly relations with Amias' being married to Lady Royse, daughter of the Lord of Daelstride, and Morran's holding of Holmfirth, he being nephew to Lord Thorpe, whether or not the two would remain allies had become uncertain - it was very good to reaffirm this compact, at least for the time being. Even better, since the village of Porthaewidge would be uniquely vulnerable if the baron were to turn against Sherfield. Lord Declan, Amias' father-in-law and lord of Daelstride, offered to have his son Greydan come to serve in Sherfield along with his retinue, an offer which Amias graciously accepted. The force was not of great size, but it's men strong, boasting several mounted retainers and two knights, including Greydan himself.

In light of the cemented brotherhood between himself and his in-laws, Amias would send a message to Sir Melstar, the serving bailiff at Porthaewidge, whom was absent at the feast. It would inform the knight that if there were a call to arms, he should raise the village's levy and go with them and his retinue to rally at Thorpe's Keep, or with the baron's marshal Lord Declan, whichever is most prudent. From there, Sir Melstar may join the company of Amias' host whenever it was efficient to do so, as presumably the Thorpe host would march to meet their counterpart. These orders would be carried by a trusted retainer, and he'd be instructed to forgo the crossing at Shepbrook and instead ford the river at Couryonne, due to the message's sensitive contents.

A few days later, the messenger sent to Midburgh returned. Though Lord Melgan had not replied in kind with Amias' letter, he had sent the messenger back with his reply; the Lord of the Midland stood ready to march on his rival to the west. Due to the distance between himself and this ally, and the potential enemies' position being directly in the middle, it would be a harder task to conduct the war with him at any detailed level than with Lord Thorpe or Lord Lanidor. But at the very least, Amias could likely send a second messenger to notify Grannos of any outbreaks of violence. Though Amias was not slighted by the Lord of Midburgh's lack of returning parchment, he did hold some concern about the Lord's commitment to the alliance. Not having his word on paper gave less weight to his decision, but knowing Grannos' hatred for Mallick, Amias felt relatively sure that Midburgh would make the appropriate move at the appropriate time.

A message had also been sent to Rooster Keep, an even more distant and unlikely ally. Lord Phillipe is an ally to few and an enemy to many - his, and his troops' prowess was widely regarded, and there certaintly was no shortage of attestation to that effect. Much like Melgan of the Midland, Amias was keen to array the powerful forces of Flamebay against Mallick's lordships not by calling for help, as the Baron had little to gain from helping a comparatively small and somewhat distant Fyrdian lordship, but presenting an oppurtunity to settle old scores with Lord Cerham - Phillipe's forced marriage of Mallick's daughter, Lady Deirdre, had brought about immense hatred between those two houses for many years. Making the Baron of Flamebay party to the brewing war, however, could present a double-edged sword in the event that the Baron's troops come, and are not so fast to go. Lord Amias had gotten several players involved in this potential conflict, and all of them will have their own interests in mind if it comes to division of the High Lord's vast demense. Recent reports told of Lord Oriflamme achieving victory in battle over the Baron of Skerry, and presumably, he was still in the field with his riders enjoying the spoils of said victory - thus, no reply had been sent, the parchment having been handed over to his head steward for keeping until Phillipe's return.
    --
    The danger of the situation was not lost on the smallfolk of the lordship. The killing had been a massive spectacle, and if you'd not been at the castle that day, surely someone had brought home word of the macabre display. All across Sherfield the people braced for whatever was to come, and in Sherfieldton, some men had armed and organized themselves in anticipation of the coming fighting. The ringleader of this group was Serwin Wynch, lowborn, but equipped well. He had drawn up and offered some terms to Amias' nephew, Vargas, reeve of the town, for which Serwin and his merry band could be hired. He asked for wages amounting to a few silver pennies a day for each of his men, and expected the rights to pillage and loot any vanquished foes' belongings.

Serwin and his men were no more talented or better equipped than common levies, except for perhaps Serwin himself. Enlistment of this 'mercenary' band would be, at face value, not worth the wage and benefits asked for. As such, Lord Amias would summon this Wynch fellow to Sherfield Castle, and propose a counter-offer. First, if Amias were to hire the group, they would be required to drill with the lord's retinue, and those whom were found to be incompetent with their arms or woefully unequipped would be dismissed. Second, Serwin would be relieved of his command, and Sir Alvis Branson, a young and promising knight of Amias' retinue, would replace him. Third, Amias would offer Serwin a position in his retinue as a man-at-arms, and allow him to stay assigned to the 'mercenary' company as an aide to Sir Branson if he so chose. Fourth, Serwin would extend this offer of joining Amias' retinue full-time to his mustered men, but only if they are demonstrably able to meet the requirements in discipline, prowess, and equipment. If Serwin accepted these conditions, then him and his fellows would be hired, and training would commence immediately at Sherfield Castle. Lord Enguerrand would call on his sons, Sir Amias and his squire, to assist Sir Branson and Sir Bigge in drilling the men, singling out those who showed promise and gumption, and weeding out those who did not.
    --
    Charibert returned from Holmfirth after a short stay at the outpost nearby with information regarding the situation there. Lord Morran had garrisoned the outpost with a dozen retainers and another dozen watchmen recruited from his village, and a knight of House Telemar held command at the sentry. Though the tolling had gone as normal, the position outside of the village could hardly be considered a mere sentry any longer. Being the first line of defense against any raiders approaching from the main road following the river, Lord Morran, or perhaps the knight in command, had saw fit to enhance his defenses - the men had begun digging trenches in the fields surrounding the outpost to halt charges of horse, and manning forward posts, screening more proactively so as to catch any early aggressors moving in from a broader area. Charibert had also returned with some requests from the defenders: reinforcements, horses, and ranged weaponry. These requests would be fulfilled, with five mounted sergeants, ten healthy horses, ten crossbows and some bags of javelins would be routed to the outpost forthwith. Amias would send the sergeants with orders for Lord Morran and the commanding knight to continue patrolling in a larger radius around the outpost, as they had already begun, since a significant fraction of the force there was now mounted. Visits should be made by the garrison's leaders at the village of Sir Lyke Grann, son of the Lord of Granswold, in order to discourage any influence Mallick may try to exert there or discover that which already existed, and perhaps cultivate some of his own, as well scouting the defenses of the village and learning the political leanings of the inhabitants and master, if he is present that is. Knowing Lord Lanidor's power structure was as weak as it was, Amias was not foolish to believe that village was in friendly hands despite his alliance with its' master's overlord. Lord Gareth no doubt had his own interests in mind, and the fief of his son Lyke as well as his actions may play a pivotal role in what was to come, due to his precarious position along the road leading from Darndon into the Lordship of Sherfield.

At the northern outpost, Sir Glens would be instructed to send the five sergeants posted there to be sent back to join the rest of the retinue in Sherfield castle. Lord Amias was not expecting any sudden moves by Lord Gareth, and even if so, the purpose of calling back the five sergeants was to maintain a healthy response force at the castle for such an event. Sir Glens would be given authority to draft some additional men from the hamlet of Taernsby, whom would accrue leave from levy service based on the length of their stay at the outpost - some eight to ten more men should suffice. The primary goal of this sentry was to detect and report any signs of hostility or notable movements generally from Granswold, and as such Sir Glens and the posted men-at-arms should conduct some careful scouting on the road and in the plains between the outpost and Lord Gareth's fief. Should anything seem amiss, the priority of Sir Glens' men should be to warn both Lord Amias at the castle and young Sir Bigge at Taernsby, and then either lead the garrison to commit to a stalling action or withdraw to the keep, depending on his assessment of the situation.

With so many moving parts and developing scenarios, Amias held a meeting of his councilors, Sir Charibert, Sir Tonis and father Enderl. Amias would also involve his son, Sir Amias, and invite his brother-in-law, Sir Greydan. He would open the meeting with the acknowledgement that the peace which Amias had sought to uphold for all this time was quickly waning, and the Lordship of Sherfield must prepare to survive; he would look to hear the opinions of his council on how best to make those preperations, before giving his own ideas. A cache of assorted weaponry could be purchased and stored at Sherfieldton, the castle, and at Holmfirth, to act as armories in the event of a full levy of the lordship's populace. Secondly, Amias' retinue had doubled in numbers due to the enlistment of the local mercenaries and the receiving of Sir Greydan's retinue, and Amias would pose the question of how best to utilize the newfound excess of troops in the little peacetime remaining. Amias would consider the idea of garrisoning the lumber yard northeast of Holmfirth, to better detect and hopefully ward off any aggressors from House Cerham which did not approach by the road along the river. He would also inquire as to the known existence of any bands of outlaws, faends, or other n'er-do-wells in the vicinity on which the new force could test their mettle.

• Letter to Sir Melstar
    - Provide Sir Melstar with the authority to levy all able freemen of his village if a call to arms is issued.
    - Order Sir Melstar to join the army of the Barony of Thorpe if action begins, and aim to rally to the host of Sherfield whenever possible.
    - This letter will be carried by an armed retainer whom will ford the Northlands River at Couryonne, instead of crossing it at the bridge nearby Shepbrook, to avoid interception.

Counter-offer Serwin Wynch
    - Wynch will be relieved of command of his mustered men by Sir Alvis Branson
    - Local mercenaries must train with the retinue. Sirs Alvis, Charibert, and Amias II will oversee training. If any of the men have severe deficits in skill or are badly under-equipped, they will be dismissed.
    - Offer Serwin a place in Amias' retinue, he would remain with the mercenary group as an aid to Sir Branson.
    - Have Serwin extend offer of a place in the retinue to his mustered men. They will need to demonstrate their ability to meet more stringent requirements in combat prowess and readiness with their equipment than their mercenary counterparts, and forfeit their right to pillage, in return for higher training, wages, and job security.

Regarding the Eastern Outpost
    - Fulfill request for horses, men and ranged weaponry, sending five Enguerrand mounted sergeants to join the garrison.
    - Send orders with the sergeants for the commander of the garrison to establish wider patrols and keep watch over a larger area, now that a significant portion of his force is mounted.
    - The garrison's better armed troops and the leaders should visit the village down the road from Holmfirth to the east, held by Sir Lyke Grann, son of Lord Gareth Grann, to learn of the state of the village, it's defenses, and the political leanings of it's inhabitants. Look for signs of mobilization or collaboration with House Cerham.

WIP

Last edited:
Philippe watched his skirmishers ride after the enemies fleeing leadership then turned back to his men. Almost immediately he was bombarded with requests to begin their intended capture of the territory and all its worldly possessions. Lord Ryker, (Paragon bless the man) reigned in the outbursts and presented a solid plan for a successful sacking. They would steal all valuables as well as livestock but refrain from excessive property damage and physical harm to the inhabitants. Philippe agreed to all of the proposed conditions except one, he didn't see why the men ought to restrain themselves overmuch in regards to the women and the Baron said as much. "Good principles all Sir Ryker. Though I'm not sure why you proposed that we deprive our men one of the better spoils in war save what chivalry demands for a Noblewoman. So long as the soldiery does not allow their diversions to slow them overmuch we ought to adhere to ancient custom. Besides, it will do the women of this land some good, knowing what it's like to be with a real man as opposed to any of the sissy boys piled up over there." The Baron gave an evil grin as he pointed to the growing stack of naked corpses with his bloody estoc.

When Lord Horall returned to the camp with little to show for his harassment campaign he was extremely apologetic for failing to destroy the enemy aristocracy. But Oriflamme was not one to hold it against a man so long as they were reliable and loyal. "Fear not my good Sir Horall, it was enough that you ensured such a yellow bellied band did not get away without us knowing to which warren the running rabbits rode. The craven fools have fled to their fastness in the center, and they will watch as we ravage their women and pillage every village in our path. When we confiscate everyone's lands and property, I want each one of you to seize each and every peasant's plow and bring it to Rooster Keep. Tomorrow we begin the Chevauchee in earnest, and it matters not how many have sheltered in Cwyallan Castle if there are no men or plows to sow the spring harvest." Philippe Oriflamme fully intended to wage total war against his opponents.

1680301345278.png

Robert nodded at his Uncle's request to raise the common levy and also commented "My men are ready to ride with haste. If we are all in agreement, then I will ride out and proceed to conduct reconnaissance and chevauchée." With the overall strategy to conduct the war finally settled, Robert took the moment to excuse himself from the war council to discuss the matter with his own men. He looked to Lord Phillip and Lord Pyther and said "Ready the men to ride with fury. Our ships will accompany us to help carry any carriage and baggage and allow us to travel unburdened." Subsequently, he found his High Captain, Sir Maynard and said "Sir Maynard, a word." as he gestured to him to come join him in a discrete corner out of earshot. There he quietly but firmly spoke "Sir Maynard, it appears that we are asked to raise the common levy in anticipation of a siege of the Bandit Lords. Now, many men still remember the bitter sting of defeat suffered at Merlions. Yet, I will not betray my own blood nor my duties and obligations. What are your thoughts on raising the levy and will you be able to ride back to the Barony with some of the horses and begin mustering the levies then join my Uncle's host with the levy?"

Once details were settled, the Bernguard mounted host would ride north then west to follow through with the plan. War had arrived.

• Sir Gawain considers the situation before replying to his master. "Well, I believe Lord Teycan will likely join Duc Selastin. His lands are otherwise immediately threatened, and he has little to gain from fighting against the Duke at this time - he may always switch sides later." Your trusted man was all too aware of the schemes of the peerage these days.

"As for the Abercrofts... They do owe great debts to Duc Selastin, though they could seek to have them annulled by siding against - or with him. The advisors of the young Lord Kelton will sway the boy greatly, though his father was a loyal subject of the king. He died of wounds he suffered in Merlions, sad to say. I also hear that Baron Berngard, Guy de Cherbourg, met a similar fate only shortly after his return to Carmondy. Speaking of Berngard, I hear that they have entered into a coalition with the baronies of Aldwyn and Swanton to fight against the Scarwin, Yonbry and Ramscrest - the latter three being the apparent aggressors."

Sir Gawain now considers the Stirgreds. "They have many ties with the Kingdom of Dyrnwald, an as of yet neutral realm - in particular the southern isle. Lord Tyrgan, in addition to the barony of Stirgred, also holds land in Menekton and Kanarith from King Madric. One may worry that Dyrnwald could try to seize land along the coast of northern Carmondy, though it is up in the air whether the Stirgreds would actually go along with this..."

Stock is taken of the lesser retinues in the earldom, with assorted men-at-arms, sergeants and valots belonging to the minor families becoming accounted for.
    1681336189342.png
    Singren valot, Dolgradd man-at-arms, Elyard valot

'Polly' Pollard is interrogated for quite some time. Eventually, one of your more agreeable men convinces him to share more knowledge about his accomplices; they are really nothing surprising, just the reeve, the hayward, and the local cleric. He puts in a good word for all of them... they were 'good men', apparently, despite being involved in his schemes, which include unjust taxation and illegal seizure. The most jarring admission he gives is that he was acting entirely in the interests of his lady, none other than the wife of the absentee knight, of whom both names escape you as of current. Polly, upon request of one of your advisors, reveals their names as Sir Gride and Lady Gride. He continues on with the defence of himself. Apparently, extraordinary measures were needed to pay for 'securities' against Garton and his ilk from Fishers' Town, along with other petty nobles from Abercroft who had a streak of brigandage in the area. Pollard mentions large numbers of vagrants and castaways originating from Fishers' Town and menacing the outlying hamlets of the local well-to-dos... which is hardly anybody, from what you recall - nobody in that area seems to be doing particularly well for themselves. Anyway, Pollard admits that a few ruffians were hired from Settor and the woodlands that belonged to the Abercrofts, and that they attacked Fishers' Town denizens in retaliation for foraging in the domains he oversaw. "All I did, I did for my noble mistress, and in the defence of her estate. I ask for your forgiveness, my noble lord, for it was all I could do in the - ah - circumstances of the previous... overlordship."

1680838137078.png
    Meanwhile, the rural strongman, extortionist and grain speculator known as Garton Rust-Rings is sentenced to death. Wrung for information and beaten by the gaolers, he is strung up by his thumbs, with a coat of mail set to hang from his feet. The gaolers only release him from his painful restraints after he reveals the location of a camp where the remainder of his accomplices are hiding. After being cut down from his restraints, he falls, and pleads for a reprieve. He is then tied up and dragged through the streets of Bernadock behind a horse, closely followed by Roth liverymen who clear a path through the streets, shoving people aside with shields or spear shafts as necessary. In the harbour square, Garton is hanged alongside a robber, a murderer and a thief. Justice surely has been served, for Garton was most definitely all three of those things himself. Many townlings, sailors and travelling merchants have gathered to witness the hangings. Afterwards, Sir Arenos suggests further making an example of Garton by showcasing his body in one of the town's gibbets. However, you know that this may upset the mayor and local guildmasters - having a rotting corpse on the premises is bad for business.

1680142351243.png

Word has spread of the nearby battle at Waralsar, as well as the treacherous circumstances of Lord Galark's death. Your call to arms is also heard throughout the lands. Although some freemen appear on their own volition and equipped at their own expense, ready to fight for the king... their numbers are not especially great. There are always young and belligerent men who think they have a chance of being named a valot or sergeant someday, and will leap at the opportunity to serve their local magnates when war is brewing. Still, Duc Selastin is a feared man. Many would prefer to stay behind the walls of Bernadock and eat saltfish rather than go an adventure against such a dangerous foe. The word has spread of the devastation on the west bank of the Northlands river, and as well as reports of over a thousand men being killed at Waralar. Your advisors estimate that Duc Selastin and his allies may have two or three thousand men at most, but the devastation at Waralsar has led to the commoners hearing rumours of vastly exaggerated enemy army sizes... perhaps this might have explained the low turnout. There are twenty or so men, half with short garments of mail worn over simple tunics, the rest with jacks made out of padded cloth or hardened leather. All possess iron or steel helmets, mostly of the wide-brimmed variety. Several days later, your arrayers have prepared list of potential levies among the less eager freeborn.

1679195818608.png
    Sir Arenos has finished making arrangements with the weavers and tailors guilds to produce clothes for the destitute peasantry living in and around Fishers Town. 🜲 50 are ultimately requested in terms material, transport, and labour costs. A petition is received from the cobblers' guild in Bernadock, offering to create shoes and provide them to your lordship. This should definitely alleviate some of barefoot poverty in that area. In addition to the coarse and frayed tunics, and outright sackcloths some of the populace seemed to be wearing, many of them went with no shoes, or only sandals or footwraps. This will accrue a further 🜲 40 in fees, but it will quell any accusations of favouritism among the guild. Father Mulley suggests contracting.

Sir Gawain, however, does not seem impressed. "There is a chance that this most charitable endeavour will be for naught, my lord. The land is sandy and unprofitable. Perhaps we could improve things, somewhat - but with a war at our doorstep, these wretches are probably best left to their own devices. The dance of sword and lance is upon us, and it will be very expensive for the earldom's treasury."

Father Mulley makes a contrary argument. "We go to war to defeat these evil warlords - the least we may do is be just to our own tenants. We should not turn our backs to those in need - perhaps the blessings of our God Paragon will be what wins us this war. Those righteous in the eyes of our Paragon are destined to win."

Last edited:
Lord Robert rode through the village of Oading, his eyes scanning the destruction around him. His men had just pillaged the village, and he could see the devastation that they had wrought. Houses had been ransacked, and many of them set ablaze. Villagers lay wounded or dead in the dirt roads, their possessions scattered around them. Lord Robert felt a surge of mixed feelings. On one hand he was slightly disturbed by the sight of the village burning and slain peasants scattered around. At the same time, he felt an odd... excitement at the prospect of facing battle for the first time in his life. He had trained for this moment his entire life and here he was leading his men on a campaign. He had led his men to a successful "small war", and the spoils of war would be theirs to enjoy and Robert would be given his thirds and third of thirds. He rode up to a group of his soldiers, who were busy taking shots at fleeing tenants. "Hold, save your arrows. Let them run to Scarwin Keep. Let the Bandit Lord know fear and his people become acquainted with hunger."

Robert then made his way to the ransacked manor house of Oading to hold an impromptu meeting with his vassals. A small war council formed as the men sat in the "Great" Hall of the manor. There Robert addressed the men "Have the men load their spoils of war onto the boat so that we may remain light and travel quickly. We will continue west and pillage the westerly laying settlements of Oading. Let them tell tales of an approaching warband and spread panic around Scarwin Keep, forcing many to flee and seek shelter in its walls. Then instead of giving chase to fleeing peasants all the way to Geldred, we will load the boats with any loot and excess baggage to allow us to travel light and swift. Sir Maynard, you will take your squire and three rangers and escort the ships back to Berngard. Then work with Sir Volstaff and my family to keep in touch with my Uncle and handle any requests. If we truly need the levy, then you will raise them in my name and join my Uncle's army with the levy. However, since it is planting season, attempt to use your best judgement as to when this moment will be. There is no need to raise the men too prematurely especially when the enemy wants to engage in a long, drawn out siege."

Robert then paused and looked back to the rest of his lord and knights "Once the ships set sail, we will travel southwest to pillage the settlements around Ramscrest, especially Bronsfield. From there, we will either continue our raids deeper into enemy territory or turn back and rejoin with Lord Mardas in anticipation for a decisive battle. If the levy has not been raised by that point, then I may request that you raise them, Sir Maynard. Now unless anyone has comments or questions, we should ride swiftly for speed is our greatest shield and asset. Oh, and inform the men that I will pay fairly for any prisoners of note until the ships leave. Once the ships depart...we may no longer have the luxury of carrying much baggage."

The Baron set his tent upon a hill overlooking the lands he swept. Eyes focusing on the few pillars of smoke that marked every instance of scant resistance to his rule. From the direction of the Godsbridge saw a lone rider coming his way. The messenger was not dressed in the livery of any house commanded by Philippe, but there was no danger from a single rider, least of all one coming from that direction. The message was of trouble between Lord Mallick Cerham and his neighbors, though they despised one another they had this in common, both had accumulated goodwill and illwill in equal measure.

Philippe was not overly concerned about the wrath of his Father-in-Law, especially when it appeared to be directed against some other lord at this moment. But although they lived across the border in Fyrdos proper he knew the House of Enguerrand to be of proper Noble and Valcayan heritage. Not to mention his own troubles with these intractable in-laws. He told the messenger "Tell your honorable liege Lord Enguerrand on my behalf that the men of Flamebay are always on the side of right and honorable men of noble descent. And so I would be glad to provide any necessary aid within my power should illegitimate grievances be pressed. Alas, I am embroiled by conflicts much nearer to home, so I cannot give my solemn word to ride swiftly in your defense. Know that my prayers to Paragon immortal will be for your success." Then he dismissed the messenger with a command for someone to refresh him and his horse and send the man on his way. But another rider, this time waving the white flag of surrender/parley came upon them. He recognized the man as one stationed near the peninsula containing Rooster Keep, one Sir Yaltren.

The conditions he proposed were most amenable to the Baron as he did not truly wish for a complete razing of the lands and people. With the urging of his faithful steward, Philippe easily accepted all the terms. Only asking in return "These terms are most fair and pleasing to me and I accept them wholeheartedly, as I know you are Knights of the Realm and hold fast to honor. I take it that the Young Lord has released you from your fealty oaths once the evacuation is complete?" He turns to the Steward, saying "I would not be remiss to my faithful soldiery. They have won much glory and honor this day, assure them that they all will be justly rewarded in as swift a fashion I can manage. Those landless men of proper rank and with valor distinguished will be first in my mind when distributing the new territory."
He was about to continue but just then yet another messenger was sighted. It was from his neighbor, Lord Scarthon, Baron of Scarwin. Offering thousands of Crowns to side with him in his own war.

His response was thus: "A tempting offer indeed, I shall have a response ready in but a moment. Someone give these three riders a refreshing cup of wine and take care of their horses." Once that was complete, Phillippe then turned to his assembled council.

"I am not so sure my friends. I would have us watch and wait for the tides of battle. We have come already to the victory feast and have yet to sit down and sup. Continue the mustering of the levy, send forth my brother to take the Valcayan Knights and Garrison Cwywallen once the commander is in our hands and the Knights have sworn oaths of fealty to me. Send also a rider to the Cherbourgs. The King has seen fit to break the betrothal between his sister and the Baron of Berngard. The man thus stands in need of a wife and my own sister yet needs a husband. Make no promises but dangle my offer in the air, just in front of his nose. See how he responds." With that council concluded Philippe retired to his tent.

Last edited:
Heeding the orders of his liege, Lord Morran Telemar traveled the short way to the village of Freyk. Lorded over by Sir Lyke Grann, the place was detached from their overlord's, Lord Gareth Grann's, sphere of influence; the people had intermarried with those of both neighboring Daelstride and nearby Sherfield. There at Freyk, Morran and his party entered the local tavern confronted a band of retainers from Darndon whom had clearly gotten lost. After a brief reiterating of opposing viewpoints, tempers had flared and a fight ensued. A few minor slashing injuries were incurred by each side, Lord Morran having been attacked with a sword, but things had mostly been kept clean. When the dust settled, the men of House Cerham fled the tavern, with the knight whom had acted as their ringleader slung hastily over the back of his own horse, rendered unconscious in the melee.

An hour later, Lord Telemar had traveled personally to his liege's castle to relay news of his exploits in Freyk. Lord Amias wasn't troubled by the report - he had sent Morran and his men to the village for a reason, though he had hoped his worries were unfounded. The village would be a logical place for raiders from either Darndon or Holmfirth to project their force from, so long as the Granns stood unopposed to small groups of retainers passing through their settlement. Lord Cerham could not be allowed to exploit the steward of Freyk's passivity.

"Good show, Lord Morran. You responded appropriately to those brigands' taunts, and sent them on their way after being provoked to quarrel; they will think twice before indulging themselves only a mere stroll outside the palisades of your domain. It's apprehensible and criminal that one of the jackals took arms against you, and might have killed you if not for your sturdy armors. Though you and your officers threw them out of there with their tails between their legs, I would not blame you if you feel as though revenge is in order. How do you feel we should respond? Freyk must still be watched for the presence of Cerham's retainers, and I will be sending Sir Greydan to assist you."

Despite what opinion Morran held, Amias would meet with his council after having met with his vassal to raise the ordinary levy of Sherfieldton and Holmfirth - yeomen and smallholders would be exempt from the draft for the purposes of spring planting unless they volunteer, and exemptions for agricultural means could be made for freeholders owning more than a bovate (15 acres, more than 1 ox 1 plough) of cropfields for the price of two gold pieces, or the providing of a substitute for their service. Men raised in town should be marched to the castle, while those in Holmfirth remain there, assembled and armed under Lord Telemar. In addition to the levy, Amias would call on the people of Sherfield to supply three river vessels to be stationed off the coast of the castle - control of the river would play a vital role if Lord Amias were made to move against his rival, particularly in efforts to do battle around the village of Shepbrook, fief of House Gorth, vassal to Mallick, and liege of Sir Shedd Rayner, the overseer of the crossing over the Northlands nearby. It would be prudent to not only ensure the flow of commerce eastward down the river with the merchants of the Myre and Pontyprwyn, but also plug the flow of Mallick's own subjects, destroying their vessels and seizing their shipyards.

A full levy of the lordship's populace, nor a call to arms of Amias' allies, would yet be issued. The assembly of the urbanites under Lord Amias' rule was yet another preparatory move - and, a show of force. Houses Enguerrand and Telemar stood ready to rebuke any early move by the High Lord, and would even threaten their own.

The requested two-hundred gold for the building and stocking of armories around the lordship would be approved, and an additional eighty gold would be allocated. The extra funds would be spent to make the armory in Sherfield bigger and able to arm another two score of the townlings. These weapons are meant to be used to arm the smallfolk in the event of a mass levy, and so the ordinary levies being raised in the town and village should not be allowed to arm themselves from them.

The emissary sent to the Barony of Flamebay returned much like that of Midburgh -- empty-handed, but bearing a verbal response. Lord Phillippe had wished him well in his endeavors and was quoted as saying that "the men of Flamebay are always on the side of right and honorable men." He also promised aid "within his power" should the need arise. The rogue baron had cited conflict closer to home as occupying his forces, and thus he could not come to be party to the coming war on Mallick. This was curious to Amias - the reports of the Battle of the Godsbridge were now weeks old, and no word had come of subsequent actions; presumably, Phillipe's conquest of the Lord of Skerry's mainland holdings had been finished. Perhaps some holdouts still resisted their occupiers, or maybe Lord Phillipe had only used war as an excuse not to get involved despite his personal stake in the matter. A more nefarious possibility was that Lord Oriflamme had designs to join the host of the treacherous Duke of Sunwick, whom had only weeks ago led a collective of other rebel lords to decisive victory in battle against a host assembled against them, led by the young Baron of Ishtear and kin of King Edmund, Lord Galark. At the battle, fought in the Barony of Brightwood, Lord Galark was slain and the royalist army put to rout.

Lord Amias would shell out the amount neccesary to clothe Serwin in the garb of an Enguerrand man-at-arms, and officially add him to the retinue. Taking the advice of his daughter Ibba, the new uniforms would have a smaller proportion of purple than that of black, to save on costs.

The lumber yard built outside Holmfirth had exhausted the few trees in the area, and the reeve of the woodcutters suggested moving logging operations into the woods to the northeast of the village, technically forests belonging to House Cerham. Though there was the risk of the High Lord's foresters discovering this proposed new lumber yard, a hearth knight owing fealty to Lord Amias whom lived in the area reported that it was unlikely that the activity would be discovered before the encroachment on Mallick's lands would be needed to be kept a secret. Therefore, Amias would authorize the moving of the logging camp to the edge of Cerham's woods, and ask that Sir Greydan and his retinue station themselves with the loggers to protect them and provide warning of the presence of Cerham's forest officers. Lord Morran and his garrison should also provide additional security and screening for the technically illegal logging operation.

Finally, Amias would rehire last season's taxmen to begin a survey of the lordship's properties, to accurately evaluate the amount of taxes they owe. Sherfield was home to sprawling fields and countless small farms, and over the course of the year many die out, become more valuable or change owners. To ensure House Enguerrand was getting it's due from it's subjects, agents would be sent to verify that everyone's obligations are in order from last year. All fiefs on record would be visited and evaluated, large and small, from the master of Couryonne's manorial fields to the fishermongers of Caerfyrddin, the dockmasters of Sherfieldton and the secluded eastern homesteads owing oath to Morran.

LORD MORRAN'S REPORT
- Ask Lord Morran how he feels House Enguerrand should respond after the fight at Freyk, whether his honor is satisfied after winning the fight

ARMORIES FOR LEVIES
- 200 gold would be approved, 80 additional gold to be spent in Sherfield, to arm more of the town
- Weapons meant for levy of smallfolk, shouldn't be used by the ordinary levy

RAISE URBAN & NAVAL LEVIES
- Nobles, retainers and freeholders in and around Sherfieldton and Holmfirth raised for levy service
- Yeomen and smallholders exempt for spring planting by default, can volunteer for plunder
- Freeholders owning more than fifteen acres, one ox and one plough can apply for exemption, price of two gold pieces or a substitute for their service
- Those raised in Sherfield should march to Sherfield Castle. Those raised in Holmfirth should remain there.
- Three river cogs from Sherfieldton will be brought into service, and stationed off the coast of the castle for the time being.

LOGGING OPERATIONS
- Move logging operations northeast into Cerham's woods
- Send Sir Greydan and his retinue to protect the loggers
- Order Lord Morran to provide additional security and screening for the operation

TAX REVIEW
- Hire surveyors to begin preparing for tax season.

Last edited:
The wet leaves of last autumn muffled the hoof beats of the three riders, a dull thudding that seemed to be swallowed up by the woods that hugged on either side of them. Branches laden with the buds of this years leaves whipped past them, blending into streaks of green and brown. The thud of hooves and the sound of the horses heaving breaths of exertion, ghosts of sound that passed through the woods and vanished as soon as they came. They passed over a small stream, that too seemed to swallow there sound like a void. The splash of water and then back to the dull thud of hoof on wet leaf.

The lead rider was an old man, gray in hair and with a wrinkled weather worn face. But his eyes were still keen and he held himself proudly upon the black horse that bore him. His armor was well manatied, still shining and bright despite the years of use he had subjected it to. He bore a badge of a yellow stag upon a white field on his chest. Behind him rode a younger man, his face would once have been handsome, but long a go his jaw had been cleaved by a sword leaving a mangled mess of scars. At the rear of the line road the youngest of the three, golden harried and blue of eye.

Soon the three ridered emerged from the woods that had so well cloaked them and out onto the cultivated field lands. Here the soft leaf laden paths they had been taking turned to hard packed dirt and stone. Just over the small rolling hills and fields being tended by serfs and yeoman they could spy the white keep of there destination. Just a while longer and they would be home. The sun pierced the cloud as the crested another hill and beheld the castle in all its grandeur. The stones had been white washed and gleamed in the late morning sun, bannered flickering in the air.

All three paused for a moment. Even after all these years they still felt a stirring of pride when they saw home.

“Its good to be home, isn’t it Robert.” the old man said, turning the the man with the mangled jaw.

“That is is Sir Bold. Its been far to long.” He said, thoughtlessly touching the scar that ran across his right jaw.

“I would think someone would miss something of Valcay coming back here,” the youngest said. Robert turned to him.

“You would, if you had won fortune and land down there. Cant miss a place that only gave you scars Sir Douglass.”

“Suppose you did win something down south though?” Douglass continued as all three continued down the road.

“Then it would be well missed.”

“Aye,” Sir Bold chimed in “Does not pay to think about what could have been. All that matters is that Paragon decided to send you back to us.”

There was little fan fare when the entered the castle gate. The three men were regularly coming and going from Kragwyn, the two guards at the gate gave them salutes that were promptly returned. Stable boys took the horses and began giving them water and fodder. Robert looked around. He had been home for five months and it still amazed him how everything was still the same as when he left for Valcay.

“Ah, Sir Bold, Lord Robert,” a man dressed in simple clothes approached the stables, Robert knew him as Tavish Duff, a free born man that had become the steward of Kragwyn while Robert was down south, “Lord Albert wishes to see you.”

“Of course Tavish, I assume my brother is in the study?”

“Correct. I will warn you. This is a matter of some importance, I believe your brother told me to inform you not to keep him waiting.”

The lord, the knight and the steward made there way across the yard to the keep. From the keep, though the grand hall and up the stairs to the study on the second floor were most of the noble family resided. It was a well used room with bookshelves well laden with books and scrolls. A testament to the ancient wealth of the family that called this castle home. Sitting in front of a massive oaken desk was Albert MacEanruig. If one where to look at Albert and then to Robert they would be hard pressed to tell who from who. That was until a Valcayan knight decided to give Robert a life lon souvenir of his time south.

“A letter from the King,” Albert held the brown parchment in his hand, “Delivered this morning while you two where out riding, he is coming here to make court for a time. After footing a part of the bill for the coronation of His Majesty Edmund of Carmondy I can only assume that King Tharon will be here to also collect taxes.”

“Can hardly call oneself a king if you must bow to another,” Robert said, “Why must we do the same?”

Albert tuned to his brother, “We’ve already talked about this Rob, I will not stand for talk of sedition against the king.”

“By what power does he have right to call himself our king? He only holds the crown because hes the puppet of the Carmon king.”

“Sir Bold, Tavish, please excuse us,” the two other men bowed and left the room, “I know how you feel brother, but such talk is dangerous and leads to nothing but blood and death.”

“Al, you and I know that at some point someone will decide to confront Carmondy’s transgressions. If not us, then who?” \

“Who ever is foolish enough to raise there banners against the southerners. No one has a strong enough claim to unit the rest of the clans or to convince the boarder lords to declare for a free Fyrdos.”

“You wrong. We hold a strong claim to the kings of old, so why not us. Throw Tharon out of our halls and call the banners.”

Albert shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose, “Other clans have there claims. I am content to wait and see what happens.”

“I wouldn't wait to much longer brother.”

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back