• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Well, if it's auspicious then by all means, lead the way. Luranume knows little else about this night has been."

Karyn is sure that there is an ancient gate nearby. And it only made sense! Many of the gates were shut down due to the series of dangers they presented. Very ugly, and usually fatal, accidents. But that was a long time ago... something having went wrong. But surely after so long, what entropy was affecting the system must have died down.... hopefully.

With the gates being near industructable as any artifact, clever engineers used them as foundations and strong points in walls. You are quite sure this is the case here. You just needed to find it.

The symbol indicated it was close by. And underneath the stone was a series of faded words and arrows. They were written in Old Realm, many of the words were locations you could barely recognize. Names used before the Scarlet Empire. That must mean there must be several of these gates lining the walls of this channel! The walls must be very sturdy indeed...

But one location seemed very promising. It was half faded, "MOUNTAIN PEAK" was all that you were able to make out. And you had a very good gut feeling that that was the gate you wanted. It was the nearest one. The next one, actually. But a quick inspection of the channels walls showed nothing... it was all stone bricks. What gates that were here must have been hidden by the walls.

Everybody who wants to look for the gate, give me a perception+awareness roll.

Everybody is assumed to have full motes, except for Ember who is down 12 motes.

Rolling with my Specialty of Spotting Concealment for 8 dice.

6 successes.

Luanna turns to Karyn "And this 'Gate' of yours can accomodate Red Tusk? Cause i'm not leaving him behind!" Magical gates that can transport people across distances, magical powers, it was sometimes heady to realize that a few hours ago, this was never something she would have even considered talking about. All she originally wanted was to bring Red Tusk back to Halta, and now her world is so much stranger... but also exciting.

Unused as she was to being on the ground, let alone underground, Luanna tried to look for cracks, and glimpses of anything that isn't regular stone, to mark the location of this 'Gate'.

8 dice, spending 8m on Sensory Acuity Prana, and Keen Sight Technique, for a total of: 10 dice, and rerolling 9's for the scene.

For a total of 10 suxxes

Last edited:
Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws
Given that I placed this as a Difficulty 2 (with a darkness penalty) awareness roll, and Keen Sight Technique lets you pass it without making a roll, thus passing it by default leaving your other charm as overkill... I will give you the option of refunding Sensory Acuity Prana to get your 5 motes back.

Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

As the too of you feel around the wall nearby, you find the light of your caste Marks reflect differently off of portions of the stone wall. You find a section of newer bricks. Relatively speaking. The bricks a slightly different color and material, and with a degree of roughness that indicates that ages had yet to wear them down to a smooth algae infused finish. These were erected later in time, and given this is about where the gate should be, you conclude that there must be a gate behind it.

Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws As essence flows through your eyes, they gain a slight gleam like that of a cat. The darkness around you dissipates and you are able to look down the tunnel in either direction as if it was well lit.

It was uglier this way... the walls greatly discolored by algae and muck, the cieling forming tiny little stalagtites of calcium and lime build up and slime molds. And off in the distance, well out of the range of the glow of the Solars caste marks... rats wait silently. Fearful of making noise that might alert the hellboar... but ambitious enough to hope that it leaves scraps behind when it eats the humans.

As you turn your attention to the walls. You find it very clear which portion is the newer wall by color alone. And you see a pattern. There were at least five such spots in the wall in either direction of the symbol Karyn had spotted. Spaced equally apart. There was no doubt more gates. But you only needed that one.

Now all that was left to do was break the wall and reveal the gate.

Given the age of the wall, it will require at least 6 in str+ath to start breaking it apart. For those able I will allow you to forgo an extended roll in favor of a suitable stunt.

Sherwood Sherwood Jontom is capable of doing this. You may use your sword to hasten the process, and would allow MA to substitute for athletics in that regard.

Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws You have a giant golden battering ram. It wont be subtle but it would be easy.

D. Rex D. Rex I will refund the 5m.

"Stand clear, I can make out the place of this 'Portal', and Unless you guys have a better idea, I'm sure Red tusk will be able to 'remove' the bricks we need to get to it. Not to mention that he could get some of his nerves out, he's been quite fidgety down here, even more than myself." And she looks at the others, waiting for their response.

Jontom nods in acquiescence. "Sounds like a plan to me. Let your furry friend get out some of his energy by opening up the portal for us."

Karyn is too excited to get too far away. She has only read about the Gateways, and now this is her chance to actually use one! She is as excited as a child getting a surprise birthday party.

While Red Tusk makes its charge against the wall, Jontom keeps a lookout for any signs of trouble.

2 successes

Make a suitable stunt about how you intend to break the wall, and you do not have to roll.

Sherwood Sherwood
With no boar sneeze to break your concentration, you get a good look down the tunnels. It's dark in both directions, with no sign of light save for where you came in. A listen indicates it's all relatively quiet, save for the sound of the parties faint echoes.

You are pretty confident that you are currently alone down here.

The corridor wasn't too wide, and Luanna could sense that Red Tusk was a bit irritated with the situation, though naturally, she was too, and also, it usually didn't take much to irritate him, after all, he was a hellboar. But now it was time to make use of his irritation for their own benefit, and break the way for this 'portal' Karyn was so excited about.

But it had to be more calculated than just unleashing him at the wall, as that can be disastrous, and draw too much attention. And so, with a smile, she recalled a 'game' they used to play. Whenever someone would insult her, she and Red Tusk would inch their way closer to them, only for a small squeeze on his neck, causing Red Tusk to strike the target on the opposite side with his powerful tusks. In Halta she learned to aim it so that the target fell to a lower level, rather than down, to their deaths, or to the hands of the Fair Folk.

And so, she employed the technique again, guiding Red Tusk in demolishing the wall.

My Charm is active for the scene, in case something comes up

Luanna was wise to show constraint. As Red Tusk tactfully bashed his way through the bricks, it became quickly evident that things were hollow on the other side. Bricks collapsed, and the Gate was visible on the other side. A full in charge through it might have easily knocked the boar out given the famed durability of magical materials.

It was a beautiful work of construction. That looked as new and clean as the day it was built. Symbols and carvings decorated the gates surface, and it was just as much a work of art as it was a practical and valuable artifact.

Luanna's fears of leaving her beloved friend behind were quickly eased, as the gate was big enough to march in a narrow column of troop. Clearing away some of the rubble and bricks, and Red Tusk would have no problem fitting through. So long as they could activate it...

Psychie Psychie
A simple inspection of the symbols shown there was a slight glow to markings. Being under a city of dragon bloods, you could come to the conclusion that the ambient essence over the centuries was slowly absorbed by the gateway, giving it some charge already.

Though it wasnt ready yet. From what you could tell, judging from the minute instructions available, it had only half the essence it needed. Enough to open one gate. But two needed to be active to travel. But with this head start, if you could pour in enough essence, both gates would open. You would gauge it to take about four or five times the essence that you could muster alone to make it work. Thankfully... you arent alone.

Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide
Fortune was on your side... for as you left the prison and saw the sun for the first time in a week, you found the city to be in complete chaos. With citizens scurrying around and the shouts of soldiers in the distance. Whatever was going on, wasnt pretty. But it gave you the opportunity you needed to be free.

Before you left the prison, you had made sure you procured some tools of the trade. Finding some unused armor of the city guard and a great axe lying unclaimed in an office. It wasnt yours... but it would do.

You were smart enough to keep to the edge and allies to avoid undo notice... but the blazing mark on your forehead made that rather difficult. Surprisingly, the streets were empty enough that you had no trouble. But upon hearing soldiers coming your way, you ducked into a building by the city Aquaduct. Hiding down the ramp just in case they decided to peek inside.

Yet you were greeted by the sight of a gate left open. It was very ornate and made of blue jade. One of the defenses to keep Anathema(any exalt that isnt a dragon blooded) out of the city. But heck... if this was open... it gave you a great chance to get out.

As you passed through, and narrowly avoided slipping on a puddle of snot like substance, you find yourself descending into a dark wet tunnel. And as you go... you see a few spots of golden light in the distance.

Sherwood Sherwood
As vigilant as Jontom had been in keeping watch... he would notice something out of the corner of his eyes. A small circle of golden light in the distance of the tunnel. Emblazoned on the forehead of a large man in armor. You recognize the symbol as being like the one on the forehead of the other exalted here and burning just as brightly. Luanna would see this too.

It's safe to conclude that this must be another solar trying to escape.

Random Word Random Word
When the man gets closer. You are the only one to recognize him. His face was distinct and was known as a mortal war hero around these parts with an impressive reputation. Cathak Mors. A highly esteemed soldier that fought hard against the Anathema threat. However you also know that he was supposed to be sentenced for execution, a scandal that had buzzed about the city. For Mors had a failure in battle that killed hundreds of his soldiers and at least a dozen dragon bloods. How ironic it was now that he had become what he had once fought so hard against.

But a question would arise... could someone like him even be trusted?

Jontom quietly but firmly says, "Hold! We are not alone. There is someone approaching, one marked as we are by the Unconquered Sun." He looks over at Karyn and says, "Begin your examination of the Gateway. I will go to address our visitor."

The long haired man then steps forward to interpose himself between the newcomer and the others. In a louder voice, he calls out, "Greetings, neighbor. What brings you down into these tunnels? Are you seeking a way out of the city?"

Luanna took a moment to gaz at this 'portal' but once she saw the approaching Solar, she moved aside, letting Karyn take the lead, and moved so that she and Red Tusk were right behind, and slightly to the side of Jontom. Her hellboar would either drive this one to try and attack them, bring him to talk, or make him run. Either option suited her, though a fellow Solar was a valuable ally.

As Red Tusk tears aside the brick facade to reveal the shining gate within Ember's curiosity overcomes her fear and she takes a few careful steps forward, studying the gate with rapt attention. Jontom's cry breaks her reverie, and she spares a glance for the newcomer that turns into a coldly calculating stare.

Ember snorts at Jontom's amicable greeting. "Fate has a cruel and twisted sense of humour, does she not, my Lord Cathak? Yet in this I think we see the true measure of the man. You have not yet fallen on your axe, and if you expect to take me with you afore you do I fear you will be sorely disappointed. There are four..." she glances at the Hellboar, "Five of us, and only one of you, and my blood will not absolve you of your sins," she says, arms crossed and fiery defiance in her eyes.

Last edited:
Karyn's heart swells in excitement as her eyes take in the ancient Gateway. Once the dust from the fallen blocks has faded and the giant boar has moved aside, she steps forward to examine the Gateway, reading the various inscriptions on the arch. As she reads, the scholar nods to herself. "Yes, of course. With the normal geomancy of the area changed, we will have to provide the power to open the portal ourselves, from our own Essence reserves."

Mors had left the prison born again and with new purpose. It's name was vengeance. The dissonance of having exalted under the least favorable circumstances, especially when considering his person, fell second in his mind.
The poetry of his fall and rise was unmistakable. In the height of his disgrace and the lowest of his life that he found himself exalted by the magic of his enemies, one of those he'd fought so hard to destory. That they were still, his enemies, were they not he wouldn't have taken as many casualties on that day.
It was just as well, he now fit in with neither side. Not that he had any desire to.

Having procured enough to make do, he set out with intent, first thing he wanted was a safe place to think, to gather himself. His new goals would be by no means easy or a day's work. He knew the land, possible routes were already taking shape in his mind.

Coming across the tunnel he could make for good cover in search of an exit. It was occupied, that he could tell. The means by which he knew, he was still unsure of.
That being said, it was still his best bet. Though, he knew better than to not be cautious in such a space. He'd utilized the fatal funnel tactic often enough to see them as a negative space to be found in. His approach was with axe drawn, albeit causally. It's not like he could exactly sheath it anyhow.
Mors' presence had never been very effacing, but that was even less so now. The others in the tunnel easily took notice of him and one called out, a man.

Mors answered but continued his advance. Seeing the group more clearly as he closed in. 4 of his former quarry and a beast.
"That and more, anathema. I have intentions of my own, unconcerned with you." He made that clear early on.
He hadn't any aim at doing battle with them and their beast today, especially not in a tunnel.

"Nothing ever will..." Mors responded to a woman, in a somber but dignified tone. He won't find himself victimized, by fate or anything else. Especially not to be lectured on it by the likes of her.
"Rest assured, . Were it you I wanted, you would have not as easily seen it coming." He looked passed them, through the distance and obstacles, to his mark. His grip on the axe tightened and shifted. "No, my quarry is...far beyond a fight with 4 - 5," he motioned to the boar, "swine huddled in a dark tunnel doing who knows what." Mors said, somewhat facetiously though imperceivably so.
With that he looked over at what they were doing, very obviously so. A nonverbal queue for someone to either explain their purpose in the tunnel or dismiss it as not his business.

He had the sense to know they'd all be better off working together, but he hadn't the virtue to do away with his ire towards them; not just yet. Wounds weren't healed and old habits died hard.

Luanna smiled at the stranger's words. "My dear, this 'swine', could either do you serious damage, or take you out. He tore one Dragon-Bloodded apart when I drew my Second Breath, and infused him with my Essence." and she patted Red Tusk's flank, who was almost purring in delight as she touched his favorite spot.

Ember can feel the spark of Cathak Mors' insolence catch on the frustrations this evening has piled high in her soul. She closes her eyes and concentrates as she listens. Such a small flame; she could snuff it out, smile warmly, de-escalate graciously, but it felt so much better to pour on the firedust. Her jaw clenches and her eyes snap open, lit from within with flickering flame, as her shadows dance wildly in the light of the white hot flames wreathing her clenched fists. "I see all of those etiquette classes took no better than your bloodline," she retorts with a vicious grin. "She's right, you had best be very careful - you're so uncultured you might offend the swine. You know, we met once at Ragara Rumira's lantern festival last year, back before you were a disgrace to your name. I could have killed you then, and I hardly think it's escaped you that we're both riding high on the power of damnation right about now." Her eyes burn with a manic intensity, savouring the rush of the fire coursing through her veins. Taunting an Anathema is always dancing with death, but she can hear the music and knows the steps so well, and it feels so good. Her teachers always told her she never did know when to stop.

She rests her chin in her now extinguished hand, her eyes dimming and softening into a thoughtful expression as if trying to puzzle out some great mystery. Her voice and eyes soften, "Which brings me back to my real question: Why haven't you killed yourself yet? I took your jade to fight the Anathema of the Imperial City, but you, you were a true believer." The fire in her eyes returns and with it the scorn, "What is it? Cowardice? A crisis of faith? Unfinished business? I'm just burning with curiosity."

Clearly Ember and Mors knew each other from before their Exaltation, and obviously some rivalry existed there, but while some of Ember's questions were legitimate, the manner in which she asked them, suggested they were more like trying to bait than being a genuine inquiries. Luanna wanted to step in, but she wanted to know the answers. And she certainly didn't want a fight to erupt, not now while they're escaping, and might do so under the watchful eyes of the Realm. In their new Imperial City.

She kept her gaze on both of them, getting ready to intervene, should any of them take a step towards violence, and through her bond with him, she could tell that Red Tusk was feeling this too, and was getting agitated. A small pat was enough to stop him from charging headlong, into either direction. Sadly, she wasn't sure that a similar pat would do the same to either of these two Solars...

Jontom lets out a sigh. "Ok, lets dial it down a bit before we end up in a fight down here. You obviously have a bit of history with Ember, but we have to put that behind us right now and get the hell out of this city and through this portal and find the Unconquered Sun." He turns to look at this new arrival, and says to him, "Despite whatever background you have, you are obviously a Solar like the rest of us. You now have a choice. You can come with us and have a chance to live, or stick around here and fend for yourself with the army of Dynasts and soldiers out there."

"By the way, I am Jontom."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back