• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Mors largely ignored Luanna's indirect threat. He'd yet to be bested by man or beast and didn't plan on starting today in this old, cramped tunnel.

"I would hesitate to waste etiquette on things vile and cowardly as a sorceress now damned. So used to hiding behind your magic, you think that we can not see you for what you are; weak. Weak where it counts. Your threats fall on deaf ears; as your pleas will if you do not hold your venomous tongue." Ember was doing well if her intent was to get a rise out of him. Once having been an example of the ideal stoic, his current situation kept the anger in him full to bursting. Yet, though a fury raged deep within him, still his mien remained cold and collected, forged stronger than to falter from the words of what he saw as a glorified assistant to a pestilent house.
You would have to know him well have seen the chaos in him even then.

It wasn't until she brought up her curiosities that the stolid disposition gave way to cracks of hellfire. He was taken aback by her nerve. His grip tighten so that it was audible, yet his steely-eyed stare persisted. It took more than he would like to admit to stop himself from lunging at the woman and tearing her limb from limb.
She was playing with fire in more ways than one and what was worse was that he could tell she was aware of it.
His greatest shame and source of turmoil laid bare as if some petty gossip.
"I am already dead!" He shot out, more of a hiss than a shout. "Dare not speak my business, witch. My plight is my own. Damned or not, I have my vows." His tone was restrained, more easily discerned to be that of a man on the edge of violence.
"You speak of cowardice, yet not only hide behind your magic, but hide behind your companions." Mors slammed his weapon against the floor, holding it upright. "Face me as tradition demands or keep my name from your mouth."
He stared at her with a fiery hatred that one would only hope to meet on the battlefield.
"My purpose is the safeguarding of creation. Nothing has changed. " Mors said, attempting to reign himself back in some and rationalizing his situation.
However, deep down he knew better than that. He knew the conditions had changed drastically. He felt surrounded by enemies, old and new. He knew things could never return to how they were and that going forward would be difficult before it would be easy.
But, above all else, he knew that before it was all said and done, he would have his vengeance.

Jontom's interjection was right, in a better state of mind Mors would have been able to see that. Though at the moment, he was blinded by ire and malice towards Ember.
He'd sooner turn himself back in than travel with her as if nothing had happened.
He pointed towards Ember in response to him.
"This one incites me, unprovoked, and I am threatened with numbers should I act upon her words?"
Mors asks before turning his gaze to Jontom. "And you have the gall to ask me not only to abide it, but feel any sort of camaraderie. You mistake me for a fool."

Jontom raises up an eyebrow. So much for easing of tensions. This one seems to be intent to start a fight. "You can call me a fool all you want, the truth of the matter remains that we are safer in a group than we are by ourselves, and this one," he indicates Karyn, "Knows a way to get us all out of the city without having to fight our way through dozens of Dragon Blooded and hundreds, if not thousands, of mortal soldiers. I am not asking for you to become my dearest drinking buddy, but this level of hostility will only serve to aid our foes. Let us get out of here and then you can point your fingers at each other and throw your insults all day long for all I care."

"Karyn? Karyn! You mentioned that you could work this gateway. I would ask of you to open it sooner rather than later, before we lose any chance of getting out without being discovered."

Jontom raises up an eyebrow. So much for easing of tensions. This one seems to be intent to start a fight. "You can call me a fool all you want, the truth of the matter remains that we are safer in a group than we are by ourselves, and this one," he indicates Karyn, "Knows a way to get us all out of the city without having to fight our way through dozens of Dragon Blooded and hundreds, if not thousands, of mortal soldiers. I am not asking for you to become my dearest drinking buddy, but this level of hostility will only serve to aid our foes. Let us get out of here and then you can point your fingers at each other and throw your insults all day long for all I care."

"Karyn? Karyn! You mentioned that you could work this gateway. I would ask of you to open it sooner rather than later, before we lose any chance of getting out without being discovered."

*promptly rolls for risks of you being discovered*

Feeling the tension is on the rise, and not wanting it to get out of hand, Luanna drops her spear so it rests on Red Tusk's tusks, and turns back to glare at Mors and Ember, settling first on Mors "I don't know your history, and for now, I DON'T CARE. You're a Solar now, Chosen of the Sun, whether you like it or not, and we should all work together, at least until we get out of the city." Feeling like it might aggravate this newcomer if she didn't chide Ember, and knowing that Ember was probably enjoying getting his ire going, she needed to diffuse that next "And you! We might have met first, before this gentleman appeared, but that doesn't give you the right to jab him with your words. This experience is new to all of us, and we need to work together, instead of making it easy for the Dragon-Blooded to find us, and possibly slaughter us." Fixing her gaze on them both, she gave them the last of the spiel "Whatever differences you might have, we have more pressing matters at hand, and we need one another, not just to survive, but to fulfill the mission given to us, and find the Unconquered Sun. And once we find him, if you still feel the need, you can bring your grievances before him."

Upon hearing her name, Karyn pulls her attention away from the portal and pauses, suddenly feeling the tensions rising in the tunnel. "Uh, what's going on here? Who's this? I mean, yes, I can operate the Gateway, but it will require all of us to put our Essence into the Gateway to get it to open. Also, just to let you know, once the portal is opened, I do not know exactly how long it will remain in effect, so we cannot dawdle on getting through it."

She places her hand upon the Gateway and looks over her shoulder at the others. "Here, I will go first. Just place your hand upon the Gateway and slowly channel your power into it, just like this." Karyn then begins to focus her Essence into the Gate, pumping it full of her power.

Luanna's lecture shook him from his anger, especially when she went after Ember. She and Jontom spoke with wisdom, though that wasn't hard from the outside looking in. It wasn't them being prodded at.
Still, they were right; and Mors knew that.
His temper began to cool, and his mind started to clear. He figured if Ember was as he said, then her very existence should be of no consequence to him, let alone what she has to say.
He wouldn't let her get in his way or into his head.
He smirked at himself, at his behavior. He let what's passed and done with dictate his mood and cloud his mind. Leaving himself vulnerable to the inane craptrap of a clearly sad individual. That was the true shame here.
He let out a relaxed sigh, honing himself.
"You are right. Both of you. I know better than to stoop down to her level. Or should." Mors ceded, bringing his axe to a more relaxed grip.
"I am sorry. I am no ally to those above, not anymore. It serves us better to work together. We share a common goal in the least." He continued, moving closer to the group, his posture denoted no ill will. "I passed soldiers on my way here. Our time could be short."

Last edited:
Upon hearing her name, Karyn pulls her attention away from the portal and pauses, suddenly feeling the tensions rising in the tunnel. "Uh, what's going on here? Who's this? I mean, yes, I can operate the Gateway, but it will require all of us to put our Essence into the Gateway to get it to open. Also, just to let you know, once the portal is opened, I do not know exactly how long it will remain in effect, so we cannot dawdle on getting through it."

She places her hand upon the Gateway and looks over her shoulder at the others. "Here, I will go first. Just place your hand upon the Gateway and slowly channel your power into it, just like this." Karyn then begins to focus her Essence into the Gate, pumping it full of her power.

As you place your hand on the gateway, you feel a slight tug. And as you focus your essence, offering it to the gate, the artifact drinks it in thirstily. The more the gate absorbed of your essence. The brighter the symbols began to glow. It was a good start.

Judging from the result, you are now confident of your calculations. And if what you provided was anything similar to what the others here could provide... you would together have just enough to get this portal open within minutes.

The tension dissipated, Luanna picked back her spear, and leading Red Tusk, she placed her hand on the portal, and channeled her Essence through it. Enjoying the warmth she could feel from the Solar Essence.

With a nod to Karyn, Jontom waits his turn to deposit his Essence into the Gateway, hoping that he was placing his trust into the right person and that this will not be a wild goose chase down the wrong path.

After Luanna's admonition and Karyn's instruction Ember places her palm against the gate and channels all her anger through it. It's an intoxicating feeling, but it also leaves her feeling exhausted in a way she's never felt before, but pleasantly so, like she's just completed some triumphant feat of exertion and is lying down to a well deserved rest.

"He's the burned out husk of a man. All that's left is rage and self-loathing, and his idea of 'saving Creation' ends with all of us six feet under, himself included." She sighs, resigned, and looks at Luanna. The fire just isn't in her anymore to keep this up. "But you're right. I don't get to choose who gets to come on this little scavenger hunt. The Sun does. Ineffable indeed."

Jontom watches as the Gateway lights up brighter and brighter as the various Solars pour their Essence into it. Once Ember is done, he turns to the newcomer. "Alright. Now it is your turn. Place your hand upon the portal and use your Essence to power the Gateway. When the portal is revealed, I will be the first one through, followed by the rest of you." He looks over at Mors and adds, "If you have no objections, that is."

Pumpkin Spice Cyanide Pumpkin Spice Cyanide

Mors looks at the portal for a moment before deciding. He's gotten zero information from these people about the thing besides them insisting this was their way out.
It was still his best bet so, in spite of not having enough information to feel comfortable, he went along with it.
Mors nodded and put his hand on the gate and channeled what energy he could into it.

One by one the Solars give their essence to the gate, until the symbols on its surface glow as bright as the marks upon their brow. You feel drained, but not tired. It is an odd feeling, as even as after such a short time after your second breath, having essence within was a natural as breathing. You do it without thinking, but it impossible to notice when it is gone.

You are left little time to rest, as the gate immediately comes to life. Motes twinkle into the gates opening, coming together to form hairline fractures in reality that spread until the gate shows a hazy image of the interior of a building. Too fuzzy to make out, but it is obvious it was lit enough through windows or some other light source.

You know there was no time to waste. You would need to go through now.

As Jontom steps through he is the first to see the splendor of what awaited.

A large cathedral made of a beautiful golden material. With the sparkle of metal, yet the architecture has it cut like marble. As if inside the very slabs and columns was mixed with rays of the sun. The craftsmanship itself had the potential of putting one into tears should they admire its beauty too long.

That it still had this effect was a testament to the skill of those who made it... for there was much about the place that hinted it was no longer at the height of its glory.

The luster of everything was greatly dimmed by dust and small stones. Inches thick near doorways to the outside and by windows.

Pews and toppled furniture littered the inside of the carhederal. What must have once been great works of art were now petrified and worn by age.

Bits of the architecture were just... gone. Where one might think trim would be. Obvious places for color and accents. Removed... nothing remained of the structure save for the golden material, Orichalcum.

It was quite sad that such a place could be vandalize and looted in such a way.

The most intriguing thing of note... was that long thin strands hung across everything. In the rafters were huge displays of it. It looked... almost like cobwebs. Large and wide spanning webs. On the ground, walls, doorways... one would be hard pressed to even cross the room without getting it on them. Time was most certainly not friendly to this place. This temple. Looted. Looted again. Then looted some more. Before vandals and those who thought they could try and tear down such a structure.

Despite what one would expect upon being up this high... it was not cold. Nor was the air thin. It was comfortable. Extraordinarily so.

Only a handful of second after every one of you passed through... the gateway would close. The portal gone. And unlike when you found it.... the symbols did not even have a faint glow.

Jontom looks over at Karyn and says, "Well, you were right about the Gateway. We are certainly not still in the city. Good job." He slowly steps forward, searching around him for any signs of trouble. The strands of what looks to be cobwebs make him think that they are not out of the woods.

Five successes on a Perception + Awareness roll.

Jontom looks over at Karyn and says, "Well, you were right about the Gateway. We are certainly not still in the city. Good job." He slowly steps forward, searching around him for any signs of trouble. The strands of what looks to be cobwebs make him think that they are not out of the woods.

Five successes on a Perception + Awareness roll.

Upon Jontoms keen perception, in the room he notices the strands were indeed a webbing of some sort. But not like any he had seen before. While some filaments were thin as one would expect, plenty were as thick as knitting needles. They swayed in the air as if jostled by a gentle breeze... but disturbing... Jontom felt the air as completely still.

A few strands were taught and unmoving.... while the minor vibration would escape him. The dust that fell from the strand did not. Something was moving it... the strands seemed to lead to a room in the corner. It was dark inside but surrounded by the same webs. Whatever was moving must be coming from inside there.

A movement out of the corner of his eye also caught his attention. A much less subtle movement. From his position he could see out the main entranceway. Outside were two red statues of shirtless men. Both having their heads turned to face him.

You could feel the hairs rise in the back of your neck. They weren't just facing you. They were looking at you.

"Well Master Swordsman, some days the world conspires to see violence done. I anticipate a sublime demonstration of the art."

5i

Initiative

Jontom - 11
Mors - 10
Demon Spider - 9
Red Monk 1 - 8
Luanna - 7
Karyn - 6
Ember - 5
Red Monk 2 - 4

Sherwood Sherwood
Given that Jontom was the one who noticed the threats. I am giving him 1 more more initiative. To allow you to raise the alarm and move first.

From your location, each enemy is at short range.

Jontom frowns. Spiders. Why does it have to be spiders? I hate spiders. He instinctively reaches for his sword, planning on tapping into his Essence to fuel his Charms, but then he realizes that he is all tapped out of his power. No need to worry; I still am a skillful swordsman. Time to cut these things down.

He lets out a warning yell to alert the others that there are enemies present, then he rushes forward towards the spider. With a flash of steel, he unleashes his blade and makes a nasty swing at the eight-legged freak, hoping to knock it off balance and prepare it for a finishing blow.
Attempting a Withering Attack vs. the spider.

7 successes to hit

Jontom frowns. Spiders. Why does it have to be spiders? I hate spiders. He instinctively reaches for his sword, planning on tapping into his Essence to fuel his Charms, but then he realizes that he is all tapped out of his power. No need to worry; I still am a skillful swordsman. Time to cut these things down.

He lets out a warning yell to alert the others that there are enemies present, then he rushes forward towards the spider. With a flash of steel, he unleashes his blade and makes a nasty swing at the eight-legged freak, hoping to knock it off balance and prepare it for a finishing blow.
Attempting a Withering Attack vs. the spider.

7 successes to hit

You quickly step across the webbed terrain, reach the Spider just as it peeks out from the dark room. Of course it isnt just any Spider. This demonic creature is easily the size of an ox. You can see yourself in its glossy black chitin as your sword closes in at rapid pace.

You hit with 3 extra successes.

The spider has a soak of 8 and a hardness of 5. Roll for damage.

Rolling damage

Total of 5i damage to it, giving me 6i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back