• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A Lament for Lleris (Interest Checks)

Deadbeard

"Lleris had once been a haven for the pious. Followers of Belgar would flock to the nation's capital, Venyll, and pay homage to the remains of long dead saints; commoner and nobleman alike found comfort in the protection that their deity offered; Belgar's teachings were the foundations of all legislation. The nation, despite the occasional war with settlers from Vanderzil to the north and the orcish folk from Zell to the east, was near utopian. The monarchy, however, saw fit to end Lleris's era of tranquility. Out of jealousy or scorn for the omnibenevolent Belgar, King Lembil II publicly declared his antipathy towards the nation's deity, claiming he would bend to no religious man and would only trust the atheists among his flock. Thus was born atheism in Lleris, born as a spark in the western kingdom.
It first took hold in the capital, where the nobility learned quickly that faith was a surefire path to self-ruin and personally spread this belief among their staff. Like a fire it spread from person to person, inextinguishable and wild. In the space of a year Belgarites had become victims of abuse, targets to be spat at and pestered by local children. The faithful few in the capital would count themselves lucky, however.
Ten years passed and loathing turned to burning hatred in the countryside and smaller towns, spewing forth a conflagration that claimed the souls of many unlucky Belgarites. Mobs marched believers out into the streets before performing public executions: hanging, decapitation, even burning them at the stake. Over three-quarters of the Belgarite population was culled in that decade, an event later referred to as "The Dutiful Razing" by all those who remembered.
It was only at the climax of the happening that King Lembil II - at the request of his council - declared unsanctioned actions of violence against Belgarites illegal and punishable by incarceration. It was also at this time that the monarch established a ghetto for the remaining Belgarites on an island off the western coast of Lleris. And so the slaughter ceased. And the Belgarites, forever scarred, fled to the island of Lorfill, mourning their beloved and cherishing their uncertain future."

This is the background for a roleplay I'd like to run with two other people. The plot would take place some twenty years after the aforementioned events and would revolve around three individuals trying to find their place in a withering nation - similar to a dystopian setting. The reason could be anything plausible, but I'd prefer if people picked something relating to a character's social status - I don't want to be too strict, though! The three characters would meet and make a pilgrimage of sorts across the kingdom of Lleris, trying to find purpose behind their actions or beliefs or identity. It would almost be similar to a D&D campaign, although everyone is free to voice NPCs! I'll also clarify the setting of Lleris and its geography later when the roleplay is underway.

The setting is high fantasy, so there's magic (both divine and arcane), but it is frowned upon by most people and the population shun magic-users. Wizards, sorcerers, bards, clerics, paladins, etc. would all be associated with some stigma.
Races include: human, elf, half-elf, orc, half-orc, and gnome. Gnomes, elves, and half-elves are somewhat of a rarity in Lleris, and mostly live in Fyndorwyll, an enormous forest which stretches far to the east. Orcs and half-orcs are downright detested due to previous wars. They live in Zell to the north-east, a harsh place, where the winters are cold and the summers are scorching. Humans are, unfortunately, the predominant race in Lleris and are found everywhere...

Feel free to post ideas for characters (with some backstory and motivations please!) and ask questions here and I'll try reply as soon as possible.

Character sheets can be found here: Fantasy - A Lament for Lleris (Character Sheets and Lore)

Edit: I'll start the roleplay when two other people have added character sheets to the post above.

Last edited:
Brilliant! My own character will have a very similar background (I hope that's okay with you?), so I'll enjoy seeing how the two interact.

enterelysium enterelysium Yep. Your character's traits and backstory are completely your choice (but they should probably have a reason for their "pilgrimage"). Feel free to add a character sheet to the thread linked in the original post and I'll let you know whether it fits with the setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back