• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Gorge.R.R.Martini

Man-running-through-dark-tunnel.jpg
"This life is a lonely one. We are too few to matter, but we do what we can against the dark. It sucks, I know. But if we tell anyone, it puts their lives in danger as well. It breaks the balance. The more people who know, the more people who can be affected beyond the normal range. These things take on many forms, no matter how they choose to consume, they are always after one thing and one thing only, souls. We are here to stop as many as we can.

It is a fight we know we cannot win, but still we will struggle. It is not in our nature to surrender. As long as we fight, so hope shall remain.

So, to whoever finds this book, these are our stories, our struggles, the chronicles of our lives. Please, at the very least, remember us and what we did. We do not claim to be the light, we are but shadows that stand against the dark." - T. Jones

Yeah, I wish I could code and make the post look fancy, but, unfortunately, that is not part of my skill-set. Plus, this is, more or less, just an interest check for a roleplay that follows the lives of individuals who are thrust, willingly or unwillingly, into the struggle between monsters and the few humans who are willing/capable of fighting them. I may utilize a dice system for the sake of fairness and generating results that aren't predetermined, but that hasn't been decided yet. Again, this is, more or less, just a feeler.

The feel that I am going for is Buffy, Supernatural, X-files, Night Watch, Call of Cthulhu, etc, leaning more towards somewhat normal and very vulnerable people trying to deal with supernatural threats.

This thread is to see the interest as well as discuss potential factors in the RP such as: full setting, powers or no powers, possibility of playing other races, possibility of utilizing dice systems such as PBTA, Call of Cthulhu, Vampire Masquerade/WoD, etc. The list goes on.

But, please, if you are interested feel free to throw out your ideas, what you would like to see, etc. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Last edited:
Interested, though my interest is usually in playing a "Monster who wishes to be a knight" kinda character. Big fan of PBTA, I'd love being able to play a creature of darkness struggling for redemption, but a human with some Power would be cool, but all else fails? I'm fine with A Hunter: the Vigil style thing where you're a group of blue collar dudes who are like " cops won't do anything, friends think we're crazy, but I'm willing to die fighting than see one more street kid wind up dead with no blood in him tonight"

For those that want to play with powers/abilities. How about this concept?

The MCs play a group called the Damned. Souls that have been tainted by sin and unable to pass on. Instead, you are forced to maintain an existence between the realms, able to interact both with the real, material world, and the world of monsters. In order to escape from this existence, there are only two ways.

1. Either you are consumed like any other soul.
2. You fight and accomplish enough deeds/kill enough monsters to redeem your soul and wash it of its "sins".

Just another idea to throw out there. Obviously, just going full bore into "we're monsters living in the world" is possible too. Big fan of Vampire Masquerade, etc.

We could combine the two and basically play Geist the Sin Eaters, where you play humans merged with a Geist, who brings the dead human back to life, we could alter it a bit, where we're humans brought back by ghosts and given strange powers to fight the monsters preying on our city?

For those that want to play with powers/abilities. How about this concept?

The MCs play a group called the Damned. Souls that have been tainted by sin and unable to pass on. Instead, you are forced to maintain an existence between the realms, able to interact both with the real, material world, and the world of monsters. In order to escape from this existence, there are only two ways.

1. Either you are consumed like any other soul.
2. You fight and accomplish enough deeds/kill enough monsters to redeem your soul and wash it of its "sins".

Just another idea to throw out there. Obviously, just going full bore into "we're monsters living in the world" is possible too. Big fan of Vampire Masquerade, etc.
I was kinda hoping for more of a "ragtag group of misfits" feel, rather than all of the characters being inthe same metaphysical situation.

to throw an idea out there, we could be exactly a "ragtag group of misfits" of different metaphysical situations, like one could be a Sineater, one could be this or that or something else, till we have a crew of oddballs all bound by wanting to protect from the dark that goes bump in the night?

I was kinda hoping for more of a "ragtag group of misfits" feel, rather than all of the characters being inthe same metaphysical situation.
Just been my experience that it tends to be better to put people on an even playing field when it comes to abilities/powers. I think that would be solved by employing an actual game system in order to resolve things like combat. (Monster of the Week would be a solid choice as well as Call of Cthulhu game system)

we could use one of The Chronicles of Darkness systems? or a friend had the idea of amending Kids On Bikes to be prospects in a motorcycle club.

like either using a set splatbook from COD like Geists or Vigil or something, which can sometimes support multiple different creatures working together though I'd advise just sticking to one gameline or Splatbook.... *hmm a Werewolf the Foresaken game would be interesting...* * the diff creatures are known as Splats* or do Kids on Bikes, but as prospects in a motorcycle gang

like either using a set splatbook from COD like Geists or Vigil or something, which can sometimes support multiple different creatures working together though I'd advise just sticking to one gameline or Splatbook.... *hmm a Werewolf the Foresaken game would be interesting...* * the diff creatures are known as Splats* or do Kids on Bikes, but as prospects in a motorcycle gang
I know what CofD is. I meant that if we were to use the system, we could mix multiple gamelines to have variety.

it totally depends on the gameline, like Vigil is NOT going to want to play nicely with anything else except maaaaaaybe Geist and even then there'd be a lot of drama between group members, but Changelings and Prometheans should get along well, and Geist with them, and maybe some Mages depending on their Order

Just been my experience that it tends to be better to put people on an even playing field when it comes to abilities/powers. I think that would be solved by employing an actual game system in order to resolve things like combat. (Monster of the Week would be a solid choice as well as Call of Cthulhu game system)
Maybe we could build characters around the MotW playbooks, but without using the system? So that each of the characters would have a defined role and not step on each others' toes.

it totally depends on the gameline, like Vigil is NOT going to want to play nicely with anything else except maaaaaaybe Geist and even then there'd be a lot of drama between group members, but Changelings and Prometheans should get along well, and Geist with them, and maybe some Mages depending on their Order
Yeah, the power levels between the WOD books is pretty hard to balance from what I have been told by more experience RPG nerds around my local area.

I like the general concept of the RP but have never heard of or played any if the aforementioned systems, that being said if possible I'd like to play a man in the chair sort of character. Nerdy and knowledgeable but worthless in an actual fight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back