What trait(s) annoys you most in characters?

I've seen quite a few of them, and I know what you mean. It really ruins the atmosphere.

Oh, and another one, when characters that are involved in some sort of mystery somehow know the exact answer to every single damn thing that's meant to be a part of the puzzle.

Oh boy THOSE people....

facedesk.gif

I hate it when people make needlessly rude characters so they can act like a dick to the rest of the party while they hide behind the excuse of "being in character"

I hate it when people make needlessly rude characters so they can act like a dick to the rest of the party while they hide behind the excuse of "being in character"

You have a problem with characters who aren't nice? You're aware that making a character different from oneself is the mark of a good writer, yes?

That's a bit vague. How can a fictional character be "needlessly" rude? It sounds like the words of someone who projects too much of themselves into their writing.

That's sorta the same reasoning he's using. Look at his post again. He dislikes those that make a 'mean' character so they can project whatever mean thoughts they're thinking into the RP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Needlessly Rude characters are just as annoying as ERP characters who have nothing to define their OC but Large Breasts, a Firm Rumpus, a Tight Nether Region and an Excessively Lewd and Perverse Personality that is exaggerated. i actually have such insatiability IRL and i find it to be a curse rather than a blessing. especially with my underdeveloped figure and the fact that i am single. i -curseword snipped- hate ERPers who use Nymphomania as an excuse to make their character a sl00t. Nymphomania isn't the constant craving for intercourse. it is an insatiable hunger that can never truly be relieved no matter how hard you try to satisfy it. it eats at your body, amplifying your sensitivity, it eats at your mind, crippling your willpower, it is an extremely crippling disorder that awakens so many others. it is that itch you can never relieve no matter how much you scratch it or how much you cover it in calamine lotion. why won't erotic roleplayers ever learn this?

The character that must do everything alone. Combat evil, obtain the ultimate power, reject their comrades to protect them, and ultimately save the world. 

Lampshades. These characters exist for one reason and one reason only to be "Romantic Interests". They do not have personalities, barely any background, and their appearance is usually just "attractive/beautiful/handsome." They exist solely to be an object of desire. They have no identity outside of being one half of a pre-established pairing. Basically you could replace these characters with a lampshade and there would be no difference to the story at all.

That's sorta the same reasoning he's using. Look at his post again. He dislikes those that make a 'mean' character so they can project whatever mean thoughts they're thinking into the RP.

Still pretty vague and inapplicable to roleplay, unless you can somehow tell the difference between a character who is a dick and a person who is a dick using their character to be a dick- but to me, it just seems like people are hurt over their self-inserts being bashed in-character.

Still pretty vague and inapplicable to roleplay, unless you can somehow tell the difference between a character who is a dick and a person who is a dick using their character to be a dick- but to me, it just seems like people are hurt over their self-inserts being bashed in-character.

Not really vague if you have run into this kind of person before. I have several times and it's actually pretty obvious. These are people that go on tantrums in the OOC because their OC isn't treated the way they want them to be treated. And after said tantrums they then go into the IC and have their character lambast all the other characters because they're not getting their way. 

if what is being said OOC and what is being said IC are virtually the same than chances are your dealing with an immature idiot that can't separate their ego from their character. 

what your describing is a character that acts distinctly different to the player. what they are describing is when the player and the character are both being equally dickish. 

Not really vague if you have run into this kind of person before. I have several times and it's actually pretty obvious. These are people that go on tantrums in the OOC because their OC isn't treated the way they want them to be treated. And after said tantrums they then go into the IC and have their character lambast all the other characters because they're not getting their way. 

if what is being said OOC and what is being said IC are virtually the same than chances are your dealing with an immature idiot that can't separate their ego from their character. 

Ahh, that helps. Yes, I've run into that type of person, but I wouldn't call that making a character needlessly rude so much as another form of self-insert. Thanks for specifying, though.

Kudos to you for saying "I don't actually think that my character cares that yours is so gorgeous except in your expectations" in the nicest way possible

xD  LOL, I know right? (Wait...that's sounds a bit dickish of me)

what your describing is a character that acts distinctly different to the player. what they are describing is when the player and the character are both being equally dickish. 

*Applause*

This. THIS SO MUCH.

Ultimately, I have found most every type of character able to be portrayed in a role-play has both a good and bad way of being portrayed. As many of the posts pointing them out have stated they are fine when "done properly". 

Now, however, I shall add to the list from personal experience as well. Ultimately, I sometimes enjoy playing a villain character. Now, a villain must be threatening in SOME capacity, else they aren't really a villain. However, I seem to recall a rather irksome encounter with a rp-er who was..... adamant in never allowing my villain any sort of gravitas or sense of threat. Such as but not limited to:

- Villain corners weak characters to intimidate them, said omni-hero "senses"their fear, teleports there as well as others. Making what was once a hopeless 2v1 into essentially the entire "party"against me before the over-arcing threat of the story had even been established. 

- Never being distressed by any action my villain took, even if the premise of the threatening action had been established and accepted in previous posts or, even worse, the character's sheet itself.

- Said Omni-Hero just happens to develop a skill/ability/etc to counter the villain's own.

- One of the worst was when another role-player was going to have to leave, and thus gave consent for me to kill his character, once again said Omni-hero arrives and does one of those "actions of certainty" where they state within their own post, that the other character is revived and reacts to being revived.

Just my 2 cents on something I have encountered before.

@Mad Prince of Sanity Thats why i have a character that has a wide variety of weapons at his disposal. He can only carry 2 melee and two ranged when out and about though.

Kind/Friendly Demon/monster/unholy being: I only hate this if the rper doesn't have a story to back it up. Common reasons why are The thing was Raised by humans, fell in love with a human, or was helped majorly by humans in the past. I really hate it when people make friendly evil things because they want to

Amen.

Another hint is if the character in question is unrealistically disrespectful to everyone without proper justification for why they are acting that way (not that any extreme rudness is justified morally anyway.)

I can't think of any traits I hate other than the ones often associated  with Mary-sues/Gary stus though.

That one character that latches onto to the nearest character as a love interest and won't leave them alone. Normally, this person will ignore the OOC completely and act like a stalker. Oh my Lord :)  

@Mad Prince of Sanity Thats why i have a character that has a wide variety of weapons at his disposal. He can only carry 2 melee and two ranged when out and about though.

Kind/Friendly Demon/monster/unholy being: I only hate this if the rper doesn't have a story to back it up. Common reasons why are The thing was Raised by humans, fell in love with a human, or was helped majorly by humans in the past. I really hate it when people make friendly evil things because they want to

what about a sweet and innocent Nymph? Nymphs are Faeries and there are good Faeries. even if not all if them are.

The whiny and arrogant type.

Whining about everything under the sun from the food they might eat to the people they may meet. No, just no.

Arrogant to think their level of skill gives them a sense of entitlement, that they can take on any and everyone without consequence while feeling all others should bow down to them. Nope.

Pretty much real life too, at least in the real world you can avoid em, here? If you really like the rp you're forced to deal with it DX 

The character that must do everything alone. Combat evil, obtain the ultimate power, reject their comrades to protect them, and ultimately save the world. 

Oh my word, this is so frustrating to deal with if you are that character's companion/partner/team-mate etc. My character may be patient and willing to slowly let you come out of your shell, but I sure as hell am not X.D It's really difficult when post after post and there's no visible growth. 

The whiny and arrogant type.

Whining about everything under the sun from the food they might eat to the people they may meet. No, just no.

Arrogant to think their level of skill gives them a sense of entitlement, that they can take on any and everyone without consequence while feeling all others should bow down to them. Nope.

I see your point depends on if say you're Hao ASkura. Then it's pointless to fight the Shaman King,as he became Divine and took down the five warriors. The universe vs the earth. Also that level of arrogance is only granted to those have honed themselves completely beyond the void. You make a valid point but it's full of holes.

Pretty much real life too, at least in the real world you can avoid em, here? If you really like the rp you're forced to deal with it DX 

Yes, you said it. That's a bit why I'm on the not roleplay side at the moment. 

Oh my word, this is so frustrating to deal with if you are that character's companion/partner/team-mate etc. My character may be patient and willing to slowly let you come out of your shell, but I sure as hell am not X.D It's really difficult when post after post and there's no visible growth. 

I know right!

I see your point depends on if say you're Hao ASkura. Then it's pointless to fight the Shaman King,as he became Divine and took down the five warriors. The universe vs the earth. Also that level of arrogance is only granted to those have honed themselves completely beyond the void. You make a valid point but it's full of holes.

....Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back