What trait(s) annoys you most in characters?

You stated arrogance doesn't deserve self entitlement in the world of  warfare/martial arts it grants that right. As anyone who's beneath you should know their place. Many masters are endowed with this right. Again that statement is full of holes. That only a true martial artist/warrior would know that being superior grants those who earned that right. Not just anyone.

You stated arrogance doesn't deserve self entitlement in the world of  warfare/martial arts it grants that right. As anyone who's beneath you should know their place. Many masters are endowed with this right. Again that statement is full of holes. That only a true martial artist/warrior would know that being superior grants those who earned that right. Not just anyone.

No, arrogance in my opinion, does not deserve entitlement under any circumstances but this is my opinion and you have yours. I don't care if the highest warrior of great skill can do whatever, arrogance is reckless. If you don't mind I don't feel the need to go through a debate about this.

No, arrogance in my opinion, does not deserve entitlement under any circumstances but this is my opinion and you have yours. I don't care if the highest warrior of great skill can do whatever, arrogance is reckless. If you don't mind I don't feel the need to go through a debate about this.

Fair enough maybe someday you'll learn the order of things.

I feel like almost all characters can be irritating. It just depends on how they're played. The exact same character sheet could be used by two different players and have vastly different results. 

Quiet characters can be dull and contribute nothing, or they can be full of mystery, making you want to learn more about the character.

The perfect character can just be perfect, or merely be a facade they put on to hide their feelings and insecurities. 

Your strangely cheery youngster can feel out of place, or be trying to cheer others up in a bleak situation because they know how painful life can be. 

It all depends how you play your character. 

But metagaming... Your character can't know everything. Please separate yourself and them. 

I feel like almost all characters can be irritating. It just depends on how they're played. The exact same character sheet could be used by two different players and have vastly different results. 

Quiet characters can be dull and contribute nothing, or they can be full of mystery, making you want to learn more about the character.

The perfect character can just be perfect, or merely be a facade they put on to hide their feelings and insecurities. 

Your strangely cheery youngster can feel out of place, or be trying to cheer others up in a bleak situation because they know how painful life can be. 

It all depends how you play your character. 

But metagaming... Your character can't know everything. Please separate yourself and them. 

Just gotta find that right balance, not perfect cuz perfection is in the eyes of the beholder, but just the one that everyone agrees is ok

If it hasn't been mentioned, temperamental characters. Those changing their moods quite frequently. In one instance, they will be extremely nasty then literally when it comes to getting in a possible romantic situation with another character, they'll be so nice followed up by yet another change. A literal flip flop in the matter of a few posts, I've seen this.

hmm...

indecisive and unpredictable characters can be incredibly annoying. it's usually a sign of being under-developed or a newer roleplayer, but yeah... one minute they're screaming and crying over a spider or mouse, the next they're fearlessly facing an army of demon ogres. it makes no sense because there's no development in between, and interacting with them is a crapshoot at best.

also, the characters that have a ton of powers, but no real personality. they tend to enjoy fighting or heavily action-oriented gameplay, which is fine, but they're usually quite dull. with all the thought you put into a complex design and naming their 9000 different attack moves, you think you could come up with something more detailed than "he gets angry when you hurt his friends!" or similar. 

just my thoughts. i'm pretty tolerant, really. some things are frustrating, but for me it's not worth getting angry over bad characters. i still remember mine with a lovely cringe of nostalgic shame...

So i can't really describe this character other than just telling to story but it is pretty much more than just one of these flaws:

So it is this apocalypse Role pay, particularly nuclear apocalypse. Me and My friend play as Russians and we ask, since it is a nuclear apocalypse and takes place in America, if Moscow can be like Metro 2033. We get the green light so we join as Russian survivors. Everything is going good for us, we are fighting some raiders, and me and my friend compliment each other, them being a sniper and me being a heavy gunner. Then we encounter this asshole. He is only using a scythe and covers his entire body. Obviously, since it is a wasteland, we are very careful with meeting a new person so we of course have our weapons aimed at them incase they become violent. So then this guy sprints over 30 meters of distance in less than a second, cuts my RPK in half, and then puts the scythe to my neck before i can react. Now my character has training because the group that we were part of was formed from the remnants of the Russian military, and somehow i can't react to any of this.

Later on, after he acts melodramatic and my guy gets very pissed off with him for breaking a piece of equipment that is hard to replace, we camp out somewhere. My pal and I are telling some other player about the dangers that lurk in Moscow, and this guy, who i deduced must be compensating for something here, brags about how they would cower in fear before him and how all the shit our character's been through pales in comparison to his personnel pain. I end up just blowing him off and keeping night watch. Next morning, we are ambushed and we quickly capture the ambusher. Now my character treats this person pretty bad, since they attempted to kill him no less then 15 minutes ago. Pretty understandable i think. This guy vilifies me and we end up fighting, and i manage to knock him to ground since i am a big guy and have armor so there is a lot of force when push someone. He goes to get me into a position where he can kill me if i make another move, but before i do that, i shoot his legs. He instantly heals, and headbutts me and knocks me out while i am wearing a steel mask (for ballistic protection. I have a lot of armor but i am slow. Very slow). I decide to science my way out of this, arguing that the whiplash that would happen from that strong of a hit is likely to break my spinal cord and kill me. So boom, i am dead and he killed me from a fight he started and he made lethal. At first, he tries to take control of my character, but after firmly telling him no, he accepts he killed my character and i leave the RP.

But i encounter him again in a war RP. He is now blind but somehow sees everything and uses a scythe still. I avoid the fuck out of him, but i still see as he makes himself become crippled, and refuses to allow for prosthetic legs to be put in place (this takes place in the future), and uses a manual wheelchair, while fighting. (He is literally just trying to get sympathy). At one point, i have to hold a position against a squad of spec ops. Obviously, i get my ass kicked, but i distract them long enough to complete my goal. Then this guy comes in on a wheelchair and kills 5 special forces operatives with a scythe while being blind. The last one apparently just starts begging for mercy, but he ruthlessly executes them. He then helps me up and goes to get more sympathy from the girl right after showing himself as an asshole. Meanwhile, he made me stand while i am bleeding out and gave me no medical assistance. Thanks asshole. He also kills medics trying to help injured people, hes a fucking war criminal.

Then finally, he joins a friend of mine's RP and he starts himself off with a huge bounty. He then kidnaps a girl (whom he is trying to romance. This is another apocalypse one). Now i am in the area and i know of the bounty and i see him kidnap this girl so i start trying to get into a good position to shoot him. He skips ahead in time to night to escape me and is now at his camp, with the girl waking up, still tied up. My friend lets me jump ahead in time too, with me in a good position to begin firing my rifle at him from about 100 meters away, since that was basically what i was at before. I begin firing, and injure him, but before i can kill him, he quits. He then starts asking me why i attacked him, and i said "you had a bounty on your head pal, and you kidnapped a girl. Of course i am going to try to fight you and you are a melee fighter so i am not getting close" he gets mad and says "you ruined my lore for a bounty". His lore. It was my friend's RP, but now it is apparently his lore. I guess i didn't get the fucking memo. 

Assholes like these shorten my lifespan by several years. 

So i can't really describe this character other than just telling to story but it is pretty much more than just one of these flaws:

So it is this apocalypse Role pay, particularly nuclear apocalypse. Me and My friend play as Russians and we ask, since it is a nuclear apocalypse and takes place in America, if Moscow can be like Metro 2033. We get the green light so we join as Russian survivors. Everything is going good for us, we are fighting some raiders, and me and my friend compliment each other, them being a sniper and me being a heavy gunner. Then we encounter this asshole. He is only using a scythe and covers his entire body. Obviously, since it is a wasteland, we are very careful with meeting a new person so we of course have our weapons aimed at them incase they become violent. So then this guy sprints over 30 meters of distance in less than a second, cuts my RPK in half, and then puts the scythe to my neck before i can react. Now my character has training because the group that we were part of was formed from the remnants of the Russian military, and somehow i can't react to any of this.

Later on, after he acts melodramatic and my guy gets very pissed off with him for breaking a piece of equipment that is hard to replace, we camp out somewhere. My pal and I are telling some other player about the dangers that lurk in Moscow, and this guy, who i deduced must be compensating for something here, brags about how they would cower in fear before him and how all the shit our character's been through pales in comparison to his personnel pain. I end up just blowing him off and keeping night watch. Next morning, we are ambushed and we quickly capture the ambusher. Now my character treats this person pretty bad, since they attempted to kill him no less then 15 minutes ago. Pretty understandable i think. This guy vilifies me and we end up fighting, and i manage to knock him to ground since i am a big guy and have armor so there is a lot of force when push someone. He goes to get me into a position where he can kill me if i make another move, but before i do that, i shoot his legs. He instantly heals, and headbutts me and knocks me out while i am wearing a steel mask (for ballistic protection. I have a lot of armor but i am slow. Very slow). I decide to science my way out of this, arguing that the whiplash that would happen from that strong of a hit is likely to break my spinal cord and kill me. So boom, i am dead and he killed me from a fight he started and he made lethal. At first, he tries to take control of my character, but after firmly telling him no, he accepts he killed my character and i leave the RP.

But i encounter him again in a war RP. He is now blind but somehow sees everything and uses a scythe still. I avoid the fuck out of him, but i still see as he makes himself become crippled, and refuses to allow for prosthetic legs to be put in place (this takes place in the future), and uses a manual wheelchair, while fighting. (He is literally just trying to get sympathy). At one point, i have to hold a position against a squad of spec ops. Obviously, i get my ass kicked, but i distract them long enough to complete my goal. Then this guy comes in on a wheelchair and kills 5 special forces operatives with a scythe while being blind. The last one apparently just starts begging for mercy, but he ruthlessly executes them. He then helps me up and goes to get more sympathy from the girl right after showing himself as an asshole. Meanwhile, he made me stand while i am bleeding out and gave me no medical assistance. Thanks asshole. He also kills medics trying to help injured people, hes a fucking war criminal.

Then finally, he joins a friend of mine's RP and he starts himself off with a huge bounty. He then kidnaps a girl (whom he is trying to romance. This is another apocalypse one). Now i am in the area and i know of the bounty and i see him kidnap this girl so i start trying to get into a good position to shoot him. He skips ahead in time to night to escape me and is now at his camp, with the girl waking up, still tied up. My friend lets me jump ahead in time too, with me in a good position to begin firing my rifle at him from about 100 meters away, since that was basically what i was at before. I begin firing, and injure him, but before i can kill him, he quits. He then starts asking me why i attacked him, and i said "you had a bounty on your head pal, and you kidnapped a girl. Of course i am going to try to fight you and you are a melee fighter so i am not getting close" he gets mad and says "you ruined my lore for a bounty". His lore. It was my friend's RP, but now it is apparently his lore. I guess i didn't get the fucking memo. 

Assholes like these shorten my lifespan by several years. 

i really can't stand guys like the one you describe. they have to feel like a badass, have to be invulnerable and have to be liked. but they Generally have to Godmod to feel special and absolutely hate it when you use the flaws of their character against them. flaws exist for a reason, the guy needs to stop building wannabe grim reapers in RPs where being a cloaked scythe wielding target is bound to draw unwanted attention, reminds me yet again of the typical horse bile roleplayer from Aniroleplay. 

i really can't stand guys like the one you describe. they have to feel like a badass, have to be invulnerable and have to be liked. but they Generally have to Godmod to feel special and absolutely hate it when you use the flaws of their character against them. flaws exist for a reason, the guy needs to stop building wannabe grim reapers in RPs where being a cloaked scythe wielding target is bound to draw unwanted attention, reminds me yet again of the typical horse bile roleplayer from Aniroleplay. 

I don't let people do these kind of things in my RPs. While I do allow magic, even in sci-fi (though it isn't really magic at this point since it is known in the world of the RP how they do it), there is still a weakness. I usually have it in the form of an extremely high metabolism for magic users, high to the point that they must consume a lot more food to sustain themselves and they can't really achieve the same level of physical ability or resilicence non-magic users have. I typically don't play magic users, but I make sure that every power has an actual drawback and not just "he is anti-social" as the drawback. 

I don't let people do these kind of things in my RPs. While I do allow magic, even in sci-fi (though it isn't really magic at this point since it is known in the world of the RP how they do it), there is still a weakness. I usually have it in the form of an extremely high metabolism for magic users, high to the point that they must consume a lot more food to sustain themselves and they can't really achieve the same level of physical ability or resilicence non-magic users have. I typically don't play magic users, but I make sure that every power has an actual drawback and not just "he is anti-social" as the drawback. 

what if i played a magic user whom was perpetually short and physically underdeveloped, she physically couldn't grow much taller or gain much weight? effectively the neverland effect.

what if i played a magic user whom was perpetually short and physically underdeveloped, she physically couldn't grow much taller or gain much weight? effectively the neverland effect.

Then that is fine since physically you can't match someone like a soldier, therefore it is balanced, because if you get in hand to hand combat you are screwed unless you manage to use your magic to turn the tide or manage to aquire a firearm. I have yet to go into this amount of detail with my interest check since I didn't have much time when making it and I wanted to get it out....I may have been playing battlefield while making it too...

Well I think what they're talking is like physical weaknesses related to magic. Metabolism is a common one ( for Wizards I usually go with their magic can give them brain aneurysms if they over do it, debilitating migraines if they push it. ) as it gives you a clear energy sink for using any kind of ability. 

So therefore if your magic user has somekind of ability ( You mentioned she's a Nymph correct? So say she manipulates trees ) using said ability would result in an energy sink. So the more she uses the ability the lower her energy levels get and the faster she has to replenish them or she'll pass out. 

Now for a Nymph specifically i'd go with more traditional weaknesses as well - i.e. weak / fearful of fire, prone to drying out if not properly hydrated, etc. 

I'm not sure perpetually short and physically underdeveloped are really good physical weaknesses so much as anomalies. Being light might be a good weakness if she's going to be in any kind of direct combat as presumably she would be easier to injure / physically overwhelm than someone of a more average weight. 

I think the person was more talking in general a good way to counter-balance over-powered characters is to give them an energy sink when using their abilities. Every time they use whatever their ability is they lose 10% percent of their energy level or whatever.

( when into it above )

Now for me OP doesn't bother me so much as mind reading does. Like if my character thinks - hey i'm gonna eat a hotdog later and your character automatically appears with a hot dog in hand that irritates the crap out of me. because your effectively pigeonholing my character. they have no opportunity for forward momentum because your character is too busy playing genie in the bottle - slash - miss cassandra.

I just use FPS Logic. Normally, someone with sniper range would be as effective as a Pizza Cutter vs a Chainsaw, while Shotgun range would be Satan versus Hipsters trying to worship satan. Like Seriously, theres a satanic cross and its NOT an upside down cross.

I just use FPS Logic. Normally, someone with sniper range would be as effective as a Pizza Cutter vs a Chainsaw, while Shotgun range would be Satan versus Hipsters trying to worship satan. Like Seriously, theres a satanic cross and its NOT an upside down cross.

Hail Stanis, the neutral overlord

People who somehow have multiple talents, like talents that in no way compliment eachother or are just completely out there

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I think what they're talking is like physical weaknesses related to magic. Metabolism is a common one ( for Wizards I usually go with their magic can give them brain aneurysms if they over do it, debilitating migraines if they push it. ) as it gives you a clear energy sink for using any kind of ability. 

So therefore if your magic user has somekind of ability ( You mentioned she's a Nymph correct? So say she manipulates trees ) using said ability would result in an energy sink. So the more she uses the ability the lower her energy levels get and the faster she has to replenish them or she'll pass out. 

Now for a Nymph specifically i'd go with more traditional weaknesses as well - i.e. weak / fearful of fire, prone to drying out if not properly hydrated, etc. 

I'm not sure perpetually short and physically underdeveloped are really good physical weaknesses so much as anomalies. Being light might be a good weakness if she's going to be in any kind of direct combat as presumably she would be easier to injure / physically overwhelm than someone of a more average weight. 

I think the person was more talking in general a good way to counter-balance over-powered characters is to give them an energy sink when using their abilities. Every time they use whatever their ability is they lose 10% percent of their energy level or whatever.

there are a different types of nymphs. Umbrie is a Nyxad or a Nymph of the Night. Nyxads are in general, shorter and lighter compared to the various more Physically inclined varieties of Earth and Water element Nymphs. in Umbrie's case. she stands at a height of 155 centimeters and weighs 43 kilograms if you round her weight to the nearest kilogram. she is easy to overwhelm physically if you try to wrestle her or engage in most forms of CQC. which generally means she fights dirty by using a combination of her enhanced assassin reflexes with a knife to such vital areas as the eyes. because the only way she can win in close quarters, is to literally deny her opponent something important, like eyesight. but she is easy to overwhelm in a contest of strength or endurance, and at the same time, her senses are easy to overwhelm due to her sensitive nervous system and a flashbang could knock her out from dizziness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally despise characters that make no sense. Like ones who were raised by known murderers that have no record of ever showing kindness, or simply being immune to being hated by villains. Another instance being when they are resistant to abilities or attacks with no real logic or reason other than 'they just can'. For example when faced against someone known to have such high charisma they can charm law enforcement into believing they're an innocent citizen and show no signs of being shady, this particular character somehow sees through it and knows all about their true thoughts and assumes any and all contact is hostile without prompting. This also works in reverse when said character can somehow charm anyone despite that character's personality or tendency to trust others, often in the form of forceful seduction.

@Umbrie Suddenly, Counter terrorist flashes you

@Lycan Queen I remember my old version of Leo, where he had an Amulet where he could put 2 Resistance stones onto hit, gaining near invulnerability to certain elements. It was worse because in Monster Pulse (more 'super' version of Devil Trigger) he took no damage from all elements and could no longer be knocked over from Physical Attacks. This was broken so i completely removed the Amulet and gave him "Finsternis Pulse" giving him 75% resist to all attacks other than most ranged ones (because of flight and losing the speed buff with Monster Pulse). Finsternis Pulse can only be activated at critical hp AND if i have no helpers at all, or on a certain story event that calls for it

Characters with insane magical powers. I like my characters to have some magical powers but also fatal weaknesses whereas the characters I always come across are like: cin kill evarywun wif awsum powers lolol cin destroi uneverse wif snap uf fingers lol

And then our characters fight and my character is completely destroyed within two posts. RP over. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge balls.

@SansLovesPugs i wonder what the difference is between your problem and my problem

The "All Counter" fighter

Lets say you rp as the god of Corruption, pure dark magic.

And suddenly this edgy teenage demon comes up to you and uses Light Magic?

See the problem? A demon shouldnt be using light Magic (unless under the right story/bio circumstances like Half angel half demon)

Really, if you're going to fight, have a moveset PLANNED for your character instead of coming up with attacks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back