Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

Seeing pairings that involve romance between a vampire and werewolf, vampire and a human, a vampire and vampire, angel and demon, teacher and student, good girl and bad boy, bully and person being bullied, master and slave, abuse. Like, honestly.
So just people who want specific romances.

Seeing pairings that involve romance between a vampire and werewolf, vampire and a human, a vampire and vampire, angel and demon, teacher and student, good girl and bad boy, bully and person being bullied, master and slave, abuse. Like, honestly.
I started RPing around the time that Twilight got super popular - vampires and werewolves were inescapable, and it was so, so, SO dull. And the master/slave stuff? So cringeworthy. Saw it turn into legit blackmail a few times too. These are all stereotypical pairings that I stay away from now too - good post.

When I see some variation of this in the title : I'm feeling sad please roleplay with me

Just makes it seem like what you want is someone to hand-hold you through your sad feels. Which okay but that's not going to make me want to roleplay with you.

Poor literacy/grammar is a definite turnoff for me. Often you can tell just from the search threads how competent a person is with the English language. I don't care if they're not a native speaker, though, as long as they have a decent grasp of it. Oftentimes I have written with ESL individuals who could write much better than the native speakers I know.

Another big one are people who are set on playing one specific type of character and demands the same from their partner. Any good writer is capable of filling nearly any role that is needed. I get that we all have our preferences, but we should be able to compromise and work around that. Besides, think of it as practice on getting better at writing roles you struggle with.

Lastly, people who are insistent on fandom RP's with only canon characters. I utterly refuse to write other people's characters. It takes out a lot of the fun for me since I'm big on character creation and development. Half the reason I write is because I love creating my own unique characters.

I really struggle with romance rps. Ive had a pretty frustrating streak of stumbling into them lately. People will post intriguing plot ideas, and then suddenly reveal in further detail that this is an A/B meet each other and date kinda story.

Its really uncomfortable! It makes me feel as though I am dating that person, and it really suffocates natural character growth and story progression.

That's not to say I don't like a good love story, but 90% of the flings on here come off as a cheap paperback with cookie cutter characters.

That being said...I nope out of stories that mention uncomfortable topics, especially if they are the primary theme and focus of the writer in question. Age gaps, abuse, mental illness, substance abuse, anxiety, master/slave type stuff...I have a big problem with stories focused on these themes.

Here is why:
They dominate the story. Suddenly the entire narrative is focused on this underlying theme.

If a character progresses toward mental illness through trauma built into a story arch to add aditional crisis---thats much different! The narrative isnt hijacked by a particular character or the problems, there is room for growth.

Finally...I feel like a lot of these 'forbidden' fruits are fetishism/ized? That may or may not be true, but to me, it feels like I am unwittingly fulfilling something for someone. My knee jerk response when I read stuff like that is "Oh they're into that."

Thats not to shame anyone. Please dont read this as a finger wagging rebuke. Its not. These stories are wrong for me, because I do not want to open that many doors, and lay that much trust and emotion on the table.

Finally, I always bail on any face claims that look like instagram models or Kardashians xD

If the search thread is full of typos and it is obvious the person hasn’t put any effort into it.

Also, this kind of goes with the ”doesn’t put any effort into it” -type: search threads that are like three sentences long,
with no information about what the person likes to do, or about their writing style. To me it seems like they’re just bored, and can only commit to the roleplay until that boredom passes, and then they ghost on you.

If the search thread is full of typos and it is obvious the person hasn’t put any effort into it.

Also, this kind of goes with the ”doesn’t put any effort into it” -type: search threads that are like three sentences long,
with no information about what the person likes to do, or about their writing style. To me it seems like they’re just bored, and can only commit to the roleplay until that boredom passes, and then they ghost on you.

Related to this searches with titles that literally spell out that exact sentiment. Where it's like "I'm feeling sad/bored/lonely/etc. please roleplay with me." And the threads are only up for like a day at most before they person disappears again. It's just so lazy and it feels like they only want someone to amuse them briefly before they go on to better things.

Fixation on particular fandom pairings and nothing else. Like "I want my original character with Space Dandy. This is the only pairing I'm interested in. You can approach me with other ideas but I only want that pairing."

Fixation on particular fandom pairings and nothing else. Like "I want my original character with Space Dandy. This is the only pairing I'm interested in. You can approach me with other ideas but I only want that pairing."

I typically won't do anything with canons at all. I will play in established universes, but only with original characters.

For me it would be this :
- Unwillingness to enforce rules
- Less than 5 lines.
- "PAIRINGS"
- Bad Romance
- "Academy"
- The seeker is desperate.

Oh and also a final one.
- More than 5 players.

"I'm only looking to fill one more spot for partners so I'm going to be very picky with who I choose."

Main characters under the age of 18.

"I'm only looking to fill one more spot for partners so I'm going to be very picky with who I choose."

Main characters under the age of 18.

Honestly, it depends on the RP. For some characters under 18 makes sense. Like, I do a lot of Hunger Games RP myself so obviously I'm going to be playing younger characters there.

Honestly, it depends on the RP. For some characters under 18 makes sense. Like, I do a lot of Hunger Games RP myself so obviously I'm going to be playing younger characters there.
Or basically any anime based roleplay.

And lot's of Urban Fantasy and Superhero roleplays.

Maybe. I just can't get on board with that. I'm well over 18 I'll never play characters under 18 as main characters maybe side ones once in a while but that's very rare.

Maybe. I just can't get on board with that. I'm well over 18 I'll never play characters under 18 as main characters maybe side ones once in a while but that's very rare.

I'm in my late 20's and will write characters of pretty much any age. My favourite is middle aged men and I'm a woman xD.

I see so many "Seeing pairings that involve this", and "seeing pairings that involve that". The surest way for me to nope the fck out, is seeing pairings, period.

I mean how boring ones life should be to want to RP relationships? In a world that abides only your own laws, restricted solely by your imagination, and that might be filled with daring adventures, and cosmic horrors, charming swashbucklers, jellyroom aliens, space travel, discovery, dimension hopping, bloody-curdling murders, zombie apocalypses, government overthrowing revolutions, and dwarf-mounted dinosaurs shooting lasers during WWII, someone wants to do the most boring and mundane thing possible? Nope. I prefer RPing something fun instead.

I see so many "Seeing pairings that involve this", and "seeing pairings that involve that". The surest way for me to nope the fck out, is seeing pairings, period.

I mean how boring ones life should be to want to RP relationships? In a world that abides only your own laws, restricted solely by your imagination, and that might be filled with daring adventures, and cosmic horrors, charming swashbucklers, jellyroom aliens, space travel, discovery, dimension hopping, bloody-curdling murders, zombie apocalypses, government overthrowing revolutions, and dwarf-mounted dinosaurs shooting lasers during WWII, someone wants to do the most boring and mundane thing possible? Nope. I prefer RPing something fun instead.
I don't think every person who puts down pairings means to say they're necessarily looking for characters to be in relationships. I have been in situations where someone had a pairing of a wolf and a human where the pair were friends and comrades no romance involved. Sometimes people are looking for relationships for characters there's nothing wrong with that, people like what they like I suppose.

I don't think every person who puts down pairings means to say they're necessarily looking for characters to be in relationships. I have been in situations where someone had a pairing of a wolf and a human where the pair were friends and comrades no romance involved. Sometimes people are looking for relationships for characters there's nothing wrong with that, people like what they like I suppose.
I've yet to see any ad that had pairings and didn't mean romance, I'm afraid :c

I know right. Or if you aren't a thrill seeker how about just having fun with every day magic. Doing a roleplay about a magical cafe, a magical pet shop, a magical library, etc. Something fun and whimsical that doesn't require you dedicate your time to rom com tropes.

Like people can have wacky work place shenanigans without secretly wanting to bone their coworkers.

The problem with this is that it is not the general experience for people looking for platonic relationships. Romance is by far the default for the majority of 1x1 roleplayers. So if someone is interested in a pairing that is more platonic they need to specify that. It's what I do. I rarely have pairings as I tend to build off prompts but when I do put pairings in my searches I specify

These are platonic / established / or aro/ace relationships. If you have questions please ask.

If however I just put a list of pairings with no context than a vast majority of people who respond are going to assume I am looking for romantic pairings.

The problem with this is that it is not the general experience for people looking for platonic relationships. Romance is by far the default for the majority of 1x1 roleplayers. So if someone is interested in a pairing that is more platonic they need to specify that. It's what I do. I rarely have pairings as I tend to build off prompts but when I do put pairings in my searches I specify

These are platonic / established / or aro/ace relationships. If you have questions please ask.

If however I just put a list of pairings with no context than a vast majority of people who respond are going to assume I am looking for romantic pairings.

When I do 1x1 pairings I tend to leave them open to either being platonic or romantic. I allow the story and plot itself decide which direction to go as it progresses.

When I do 1x1 pairings I tend to leave them open to either being platonic or romantic. I allow the story and plot itself decide which direction to go as it progresses.

Do you specify that in your search though? That is my point. A search is where you let potential partners know what your looking for. If you don't specify (these pairings can be platonic or romantic) than people are going to automatically assume you only want romance.

I don't get what you're trying to say. What I was meant in response to the other user was that not everyone, and there are people, might not be here but there are some, that have pairings not based on looking for romance of which I have seen them specify that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back