Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

I don’t know if I mentioned it but something I have seen pop up is when people call characters crushes.

Example my crushes are Canon or Role.

It is really honest I just feel like I can’t write out someone’s idealized crush for them. I have neither the skill nor the inclination to play a character that falls in love with them/their proxy.

I'm noticing I tend to nope out of a search thread if someone's fandoms don't match mine. [...] It's not that I have anything against them or their taste at all - I just worry that since the media we like is so opposite, they might end up liking and inserting certain tropes or plot points into the RP that I can't personally stand.

I do the same with people who only or mostly list anime fandoms, and perhaps I shouldn’t, but I just feel like we wouldn’t mesh well since I’m on pretty much the opposite side of the spectrum RP wise.

Also, anime face claims creep me out for some reason. I might be coming off as rude, but at least regarding my RP preferences, it would ruin the realism and feel for me.

I do the same with people who only or mostly list anime fandoms, and perhaps I shouldn’t, but I just feel like we wouldn’t mesh well since I’m on pretty much the opposite side of the spectrum RP wise.

Also, anime face claims creep me out for some reason. I might be coming off as rude, but at least regarding my RP preferences, it would ruin the realism and feel for me.
Yeah exactly, except I’m the opposite haha. If people list a lot of non-anime fandoms then I feel like our tastes don’t match.

If you don’t mind my asking, why would anime face claims creep you out?? Realistic faceclaims are weird to me personally - I just feel awkward about the fact that it’s a real person, and not someone’s OC, and I have trouble getting past that.

Yeah exactly, except I’m the opposite haha. If people list a lot of non-anime fandoms then I feel like our tastes don’t match.

If you don’t mind my asking, why would anime face claims creep you out?? Realistic faceclaims are weird to me personally - I just feel awkward about the fact that it’s a real person, and not someone’s OC, and I have trouble getting past that.

I don’t use realistic face claims either, but digital art mostly, or draw my characters myself. I dislike anime face claims because I feel like they don’t fit with the universes and style of my RPs, such as a Game of Thrones AU. I also feel like there is a particular trope and style in anime that doesn’t mesh well with what I picture my stories to be like. Just a personal preference.

Tbh until recently the whole concept of faceclaims was foreign to me. And I had to get used to it being a requirement for some.
Despite my long roleplay experience, faceclaim was never a thing among people I roleplayed with. And I couldn't understand why it is *needed* when description was always enough before. But it looks like a common trend for many rp communities now so I just accepted it as inevitable evil.
Well, not necessarily evil but I'm still more used to descriptions than faceclaims.

Tbh until recently the whole concept of faceclaims was foreign to me. And I had to get used to it being a requirement for some.
Despite my long roleplay experience, faceclaim was never a thing among people I roleplayed with. And I couldn't understand why it is *needed* when description was always enough before. But it looks like a common trend for many rp communities now so I just accepted it as inevitable evil.
Well, not necessarily evil but I'm still more used to descriptions than faceclaims.

(edited to be worded better) Did you roleplay in visual medium sites before? I know I started out on sites who had a heavy visual medium to them. First site had virtual pets you could collect and allowed you to make your own free adoptables. I got into roleplays specifically as an extension of my free adoptable shop and wanting to expand the services offered to my customers.

Second site I was on had a heavy visual element of making and clothing your avatar as well as their own virtual pet shops that you could pay site currency to take part in.

This current site while fully devoted to roleplay also allows a heavy visual medium to it with BBC codes and the like.

So that could very well be where the disconnect came in. All the sites I have been on have required (or at least heavily encouraged) visuals as they were all visual based sites. And I would say even RPN has a heavy visual element that encourages people to use faceclaims for their characters.

Last edited:

I feel the same about face claims. I think a good writer can really flesh out a character through the story, and it’s far more interesting to me than reading their entire bio in a character sheet. I’m big on character development and romantic/platonic relationships and it ruins the fun for me.

However if I do stumble upon an image that I think looks like a character of mine or my partner’s, that’s something else. In essence, I never require face claims, but do provide them when I’m feeling inspired.

So that could very well be where the disconnect came in.
You may be right. I've never roleplayed on those sites before and I barely used them. I knew they existed of course, but never got interested.
I roleplayed in blogs, forums (including my own), emails and later Google docs.
The forums used BBcode but not as extensively as here. And usually the only image required was avatar for your account which never needed to match your character as one person could roleplay multiple characters. So I'm just not used to visual representations, unless it's a rp that already has existing media like movie or anime or book cover art where the character is already shown (worked for me because I usually play canon).
If I need an image of an OC so badly I commission it or ask a friend to draw because I'm bad at drawing myself. And in that case it will be exactly the character I envision. But I only did that if the rp is 100% sure to last long and not drop in two posts, when I'm already invested in the character.

I think a good writer can really flesh out a character through the story, and it’s far more interesting to me than reading their entire bio in a character sheet.
I agree with that and always thought it was the norm. Until I encountered the requirement of faceclaims.

I feel the same about face claims. I think a good writer can really flesh out a character through the story, and it’s far more interesting to me than reading their entire bio in a character sheet. I’m big on character development and romantic/platonic relationships and it ruins the fun for me.

However if I do stumble upon an image that I think looks like a character of mine or my partner’s, that’s something else. In essence, I never require face claims, but do provide them when I’m feeling inspired.

Well fleshing out a character isn't the same as assigning them a face claim. Nor is an overly long character sheet really linked to using face claims. I have known people whose entire character sheet is quiet literally an ID card. Name, Age, Gender, Hair/Eye *optional*, Special Ability *optional*, and picture. I have also seen people who require literally an entire thread be dedicated to each character who ask for like 500 word written description.

And of course most people tend to end up somewhere in the middle of both extremes. A visual in itself is no different than looking at the cover of the book and seeing a portrayal of the main character. That doesn't mean the main character isn't described in the text it's just that is the image the author (or at least cover artist) had of that character. Faceclaims are no different. They are a visual representation of a character for their author. It doesn't mean they aren't going to flesh the character out more in the roleplay it just means they wanted to have some kind of visual representation for their own needs.

Onmyoji Onmyoji - you don't have to commission art. I highly recommend dollmakers as they provide a degree of customization without requiring you to pay money or wait for artwork to be completed. If not I know most people don't really require faceclaims to the extent that people think they do. If you tell them - hey I can't find an image of this character but here's their description they'll be fine. Or they'll find an image for themselves that best represents what they think you mean.

Seriously in all the times I've roleplayed with people who required X faceclaim, I have never had one quit because I couldn't find a face claim. They either accepted a written description or they looked up an image they thought fit my description themselves. And as I'm not that invested in a physical visual I just let them get on with it. If they need to see my character to get a good feel for them fine.

Well fleshing out a character isn't the same as assigning them a face claim.

Of course it isn't. I suppose my other reply was poorly worded. What I mean is that both face claims and character sheets are part of the same style of presenting information on a tray. As I mentioned previously, I do make use of face claims myself, but I don't think it should be a requirement.

I have said this multiple times on this site - to me, characters are like strangers I meet on the street; I cannot know everything about them from the get go, but come to learn things gradually. I don't mind basic information, like name, age and the like (which is often quite relevant to establish during OOC chat).

Essentially, face claims are fine, which is why I don't require them, nor turn them away. Basic info is fine. But relying on images and very strict and specific sheets is, personally, a turn off for me.

Of course it isn't. I suppose my other reply was poorly worded. What I mean is that both face claims and character sheets are part of the same style of presenting information on a tray. As I mentioned previously, I do make use of face claims myself, but I don't think it should be a requirement.

I have said this multiple times on this site - to me, characters are like strangers I meet on the street; I cannot know everything about them from the get go, but come to learn things gradually. I don't mind basic information, like name, age and the like (which is often quite relevant to establish during OOC chat).

Essentially, face claims are fine, which is why I don't require them, nor turn them away. Basic info is fine. But relying on images and very strict and specific sheets is, personally, a turn off for me.

And my point is that relying on images has nothing to do with strict/long character sheets. Some people just need a faceclaim to be able to properly visualize a character. It's not the same as them demanding that you make a full thread for your character.

That said if you don't like strict or overly long character sheets that's a valid complaint. I hate them myself. I ask for information purely because I do multiple roleplays and I have a crap memory. And even then I only ask for information that is relevant to the setting/plot. So if your character's appearance is relevant than write it down. If their powers/weaknesses are relevant than write it down. If their backstory is relevant than write it down.

Because I am not going to remember five pages in something you only mentioned on your second post. It's just not going to happen.

And my point is that relying on images isn't the same as having strict and specific sheets. Like some people need visuals to be able to see something in their mind. It's like saying someone who likes comics can't like good stories just because they need a visual element to follow along with what is going on.

That said if you don't like strict or overly long character sheets that's a valid complaint. I hate them myself

It is purely a preference of mine and something I really appreciate when a character is described within the story, or indirectly through their actions, both appearance and personality-wise. It gets my muse and fire going. Again, I have used face claims before and have painted my favourite characters and will never discourage my partners from doing so themselves.

I have used docs and extra pages for lore before, but that's different. Even George R.R.'s GoT books have a map and a list of characters and their respective Houses at the very end. But I don't want to know every aspect of a character's personality and past (which is what really makes them interesting to me) from the get go. Plus, I feel like it would bring a certain restriction impeding their arc and development through the story.

Long story short: I won't turn someone away for being a visual kind of roleplayer, it's just not as exciting to me.

It is purely a preference of mine and something I really appreciate when a character is described within the story, or indirectly through their actions, both appearance and personality-wise. It gets my muse and fire going. Again, I have used face claims before and have painted my favourite characters and will never discourage my partners from doing so themselves.

I have used docs and extra pages for lore before, but that's different. Even George R.R.'s GoT books have a map and a list of characters and their respective Houses at the very end. But I don't want to know every aspect of a character's personality and past (which is what really makes them interesting to me) from the get go. Plus, I feel like it would bring a certain restriction impeding their arc and development through the story.

And I again I think you don't understand what I'm trying to say. To break it down real blunt - Your issue is with Character Sheets not face claims. The issues your bringing up are not built around the use of face claims but around the use of a specific type of character sheets that might or might not include a face claim.

Like when it comes to the use of faceclaims you seem ambivalent at best. You don't use them but you don't care if other people do. Which is fine. But it also has nothing to do with whether or not you like overly long character sheets. The issues are unrelated which is all I'm trying to say.

I highly recommend dollmakers as they provide a degree of customization without requiring you to pay money or wait for artwork to be completed
yes I already learnt to make use of dollmakers, including those you provided links to. Thanks for that!
But dollmakers are usually anime style, and not everyone likes anime style faceclaims, the same as not everyone likes realistic. So it really depends on rp and what you're going after.

I'm not saying that faceclaims is something bad. It's usually not required, more like desired. And I'm totally fine with people wanting to have extra means for visualizing the character. Just that I'm not used to it at all. But it's entirely my own problem that comes from roleplaying in secluded communities that was mostly using text. I wouldn't drop a rp because it needs a faceclaim but I know I would struggle with finding one.

Now, the huge character sheets is another thing. I used to like them because writing one was like writing a mini story. But with time I decided that it's not really necessary. Part of the fun is discovering your own character during rp, and some traits may develop because of rp and override some of the old traits you had written in the character sheet but it didn't seem to fit when you actually started the rp. And then it feels tedious to update the 100-pages character sheet every time lol

And I again I think you don't understand what I'm trying to say. To break it down real blunt - Your issue is with Character Sheets not face claims. The issues your bringing up are not built around the use of face claims but around the use of a specific type of character sheets that might or might not include a face claim.

Like when it comes to the use of faceclaims you seem ambivalent at best. You don't use them but you don't care if other people do. Which is fine. But it also has nothing to do with whether or not your like overly long character sheets. That's like saying - I don't feel like eating ice cream and also peanut butter sucks.

Hol' up. I quoted Onmyoji Onmyoji 's reply saying they are more used to descriptions. You're completely right saying I'm neutral when it comes to face claims and always will be, since the artist within me could never brush that away. Face claims and character sheets are not necessarily mutually inclusive. Sometimes they are, and that's a combo that I'm not very much into.

I'll pop out because I'm terrible at expressing myself sometimes. But I do understand what you're saying.

And then it feels tedious to update the 100-pages character sheet every time lol

UGH that reminds me of character journals. Did they ever have you do those? Where you had to write out the character's like degree of friendship/romantic attachment/etc. for each and every character in the roleplay. Usually accompanied by a little blurb. Like A and B are epic rivals and they both have a crush on C.

And then if any of that changed you had to go back through and update the little blurbs accordingly. Hated that crap with a burning passion.

UGH that reminds me of character journals. Did they ever have you do those? Where you had to write out the character's like degree of friendship/romantic attachment/etc. for each and every character in the roleplay. Usually accompanied by a little blurb. Like A and B are epic rivals and they both have a crush on C.

And then if any of that changed you had to go back through and update the little blurbs accordingly. Hated that crap with a burning passion.

omg what kind of abomination is that XD
No, never done those, The closest I did was character blogs where we could write about some event that happened in another thread in form of blogging post. But never needed to go back and update anything or keep track of friendships and enmities 0__0

Hol' up. I quoted Onmyoji Onmyoji 's reply saying they are more used to descriptions. You're completely right saying I'm neutral when it comes to face claims and always will be, since the artist within me could never brush that away. Face claims and character sheets are not necessarily mutually inclusive. Sometimes they are, and that's a combo that I'm not very much into.

I'll pop out because I'm terrible at expressing myself sometimes. But I do understand what you're saying.

I was more talking about overly long and detailed character sheets are not synonymous with faceclaim requirements. Some do require face-claims but not all of them. I remember the most overly convoluted ones I filled out actually had written descriptions built in and require banner sets. So like cropped pictures put in specific places for visual affect. I don't think the banners necessarily HAD to be of your character. Just the right size and shape.

omg what kind of abomination is that XD
No, never done those, The closest I did was character blogs where we could write about some event that happened in another thread in form of blogging post. But never needed to go back and update anything or keep track of friendships and enmities 0__0

Oh yeah they were YUUUUGE on Gaia. I hated hated hated them. Usually (but not always) accompanied the - Each character has their own thread with X posts - type roleplays. Those were also the ones where they might ask for a character visual but they also wanted you to make banner sets and write out a minimum of 500 words about their appearance. Not including the "basics" section which would have height/weight/hair/eye/etc. put in as well.

I think all the character sheets had a placeholder for images now that I think about it but I don't know if they required them to be of the character. It's been near a decade so I can't say for sure.

I don’t use realistic face claims either, but digital art mostly, or draw my characters myself. I dislike anime face claims because I feel like they don’t fit with the universes and style of my RPs, such as a Game of Thrones AU. I also feel like there is a particular trope and style in anime that doesn’t mesh well with what I picture my stories to be like. Just a personal preference.
Eh, that makes sense, but I draw my own characters and my style is somewhat anime-ish... so as long as my RP partner is fine with me using those types of faceclaims, I guess I don’t care what they use

I'm the same. I Used to exclusively write out my characters appearance but now I use faceclaims most of the time because searching for them is fun and more often than not I use faceclaims as inspiration.

I think the things that make me nope out the most are:

When I go to look at a group roleplay and enjoy the plot but see that they have a million slots they are trying to fill before they'd want to start the roleplay. I don't mind people wanting a basic list of slots filled, but sometimes I feel that the extra slots they have can easily be filled by an NPC if no one wants to play that spot.

When I join a group roleplay that has between 7-10 or so people but when we actually start the roleplay we have over 25+ people and a hundred and something characters. I love group roleplays, in fact, that's just about all I do on here except for a few rare cases, but that is personally a bit overwhelming for me so I find myself dropping pretty quickly if that happens.

Roleplays where they only want you to play canon characters. I don't mind playing a canon as much if I can have an OC as well, but I honestly struggle to play canon characters and I feel that it makes roleplays more of a chore than a break from a long day of work or school.

After a group roleplay has started: say a day or two goes by okay, but then you come back online and see that two people have made it a 1x1 roleplay and gone back and forth a few dozen times. This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves because it's a group roleplay. I get you're excited, we all are, but go back and forth maybe once or twice then let others replay a few times before you go crazy.

When I go to look at a group roleplay and enjoy the plot but see that they have a million slots they are trying to fill before they'd want to start the roleplay.
I second this. It always irks me because even if you're somehow able to fill all the slots, online roleplays are notorious for having a high drop rate so it's not like all those roles are gonna remain filled. And if said roles are so central to the plot that you can't start the roleplay until they're filled, what's gonna happen when they're abandoned?

Seeing pairings that involve romance between a vampire and werewolf, vampire and a human, a vampire and vampire, angel and demon, teacher and student, good girl and bad boy, bully and person being bullied, master and slave, abuse. Like, honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back