Viewpoint What makes you nope out of a search thread?

I don't get what you're trying to say. What I was meant in response to the other user was that not everyone, and there are people, might not be here but there are some, that have pairings not based on looking for romance of which I have seen them specify that.

Ah than it was a misunderstanding. As the way I read it I thought you meant that any pairing based search might be either romantic or platonic. When the experience I have on this site (and I imagine kevin has the same) is that a vast majority of pairings are exclusively romantic. And thus unless otherwise specified any pairing search is only talking about romance.

So the person having an anime icon? Or using anime face claim?
Both, actually. Although while I can kind of get behind an anime icon, although it usually waves a small red flag for me, an anime FC is a big "no" for me.
They throw this at me, but when I start playing and imagining someone with that image, all I can see is this. If another person cannot get it (and the fact they throw anime image as a FC makes it obvious they don't), it's a no-no.

Both, actually. Although while I can kind of get behind an anime icon, although it usually waves a small red flag for me, an anime FC is a big "no" for me.
They throw this at me, but when I start playing and imagining someone with that image, all I can see is this. If another person cannot get it (and the fact they throw anime image as a FC makes it obvious they don't), it's a no-no.

Ah I would say for avatar it could just be they don't want to use a real image and either like the anime (sort of like someone having batman as their avatar) or they used some kind of generator to make a version of themselves that they're comfortable showing (I did that with generators for a bit).

It doesn't mean anything for their face claim preference. I've used anime avatars and I dgaf what face claim people use. You want to use real people, art, written descriptions, or nothing at all it's all the same to me. I only ask that it's all consistent.

Ah I would say for avatar it could just be they don't want to use a real image and either like the anime (sort of like someone having batman as their avatar) or they used some kind of generator to make a version of themselves that they're comfortable showing (I did that with generators for a bit).

It doesn't mean anything for their face claim preference. I've used anime avatars and I dgaf what face claim people use. You want to use real people, art, written descriptions, or nothing at all it's all the same to me. I only ask that it's all consistent.

That is why it's a small red flag. It usually means anime FCs, as well as certain levels of obsession with the genre, which I do not appreciate in my potential partner.

That is why it's a small red flag. It usually means anime FCs, as well as certain levels of obsession with the genre, which I do not appreciate in my potential partner.

I wouldn't say so. As I said I've used anime avatars in the past and I don't watch a single show. I either made my own avatar in a generator OR maybe I liked the look of a character. It doesn't mean I am going to use them as a face claim nor that I could even tell you where they're from much less have any great desire to obssess over the genre.

I wouldn't say so. As I said I've used anime avatars in the past and I don't watch a single show. I either made my own avatar in a generator OR maybe I liked the look of a character. It doesn't mean I am going to use them as a face claim nor that I could even tell you where they're from much less have any great desire to obssess over the genre.

It usually means anime FCs
;D

Also, I generally nope out of anime icons and/or anime character arts. They be ugly af, and I want nothing to do with anime fan mindsets.

I can see where you're coming from, but if the person as an anime icon then...meh. Anime FC's, on the other hand, can be annoying and out of place unless the RP happens to be based on an anime or something. Like, I'm actually okay with cartoon, anime, drawn, etc. FC's if the RP itself is based in some cartoon or anime universe.

It can work in fantasy. Fantasy is an ill defined genre and most anime are fantasy anyways.

Depends on the setting for me. Like, if I was doing a LOTR type epic high fantasy then anime FC's would ruin the immersion for me.

I probably mentioned this one before, I can't honestly remember. But when people reference "love interests" or "crushes" in a search. Usually something to the affect of "My love interest is Blah, please let me know what your love interest is." Or "Here is a list of my crushes, I'm willing to double so you can have your crushes too!"

It says two things to me.
1. The person is looking to roleplay a personal fantasy of their love interest/crush reciprocating their feelings (so they'll be high maintenance and demanding)
2. The person will be roleplaying as themselves and expects me to roleplay as myself (which means they'll take OOC conversations personally)

Like I don't mind people who like romance (not my cup of tea but it isn't a dealbreaker) and I don't even mind people writing as themselves (as long as they understand i'm not doing the same). But those two things back to back is an instant - Sorry hard pass.

I'm gonna bring up something I don't think I've seen mentioned here yet. Sometimes I'll just leave a thread quietly if the person's writing is too good. I know that sounds weird because how can something be too good? Well, when I know for sure I can't stack up. I've actually seen a search thread on here and it would have been a damn near perfect match, but then I got to the writing sample and knew my writing would look like dookie in comparison.

Also, if it's a bit too vague and only lists pairings like vampire x human, etc. I'm sure there are people who prefer it that way as more of a blank slate to develop something but it doesn't spark much for me.

I'm gonna bring up something I don't think I've seen mentioned here yet. Sometimes I'll just leave a thread quietly if the person's writing is too good. I know that sounds weird because how can something be too good? Well, when I know for sure I can't stack up. I've actually seen a search thread on here and it would have been a damn near perfect match, but then I got to the writing sample and knew my writing would look like dookie in comparison.

Also, if it's a bit too vague and only lists pairings like vampire x human, etc. I'm sure there are people who prefer it that way as more of a blank slate to develop something but it doesn't spark much for me.

I get intimidated by that too. I'm super self-conscious about my writing.

I can relate.

It's even worse in group roleplays cause sometimes the interest check threads have all these fancy bbcodes and well written plot descriptions and I just sort of panic.

A funny (not really) story about noping out of a search thread.

One day I was browsing search threads and came across one potentially interesting thread. But when I got to descriptions of plots/themes and rules - I encountered a formidable enemy. Fancy formatting that uses fixed width! Being on my phone, I could only read first half of all the sentences and unable to read the second half no matter how I shook and turned my phone. I closed the thread in desperation, thinking that it was interesting enough to check it from desktop later.
"Later" only happened a couple days ago, and I couldn't find the thread for a while because the psychological damage I received from that enemy was too severe and I forgot to bookmark, being on the move with the phone didn't help either. I did find that thread after some time browsing through the forum, naturally it was not on the first page...
And then the thread gave me the final blow! The second half of the sentences I couldn't read before revealed that we are not compatible with this person. If only I read the full sentences from the start, I would have known this and didn't spend time looking for this thread on desktop.
Alas, this time I had to accept ultimate inevitable defeat by the horrors of fancy formatting. Yet again.

Anyway, persentage width exists. Please use it. Yes it will look ugly on mobiles, but at least contents will be readable.

Thank you for reading my tragic backstory.

Last edited:
Okay, this one might sound rather offensive, but people who say something like:

"I'm x so most of my characters are like that too."

This makes the alarm bells start ringing. Look, I understand, people are generally most comfortable having their character be something they know (not for everyone, but it is a pattern I've noticed). And self inserts can be really fun, but I have come across a rather irritating pattern.

People who mirror their own sexual/gender identity on their characters often seem to take criticism of their character extremely personally.

Now, this could just be a thing with self inserts all round, but it seems to come up in these situations the most.

See, you wouldn't think it'd be too much of a problem. Unless your character is a bigoted transphobic homophobic sexist, this shouldn't be an issue... right?

Unfortunately, you'd be wrong.

First of all, I like having a secondary character in the story basically just to stir up problems and cause drama for their own gain. They could be a love rival, sibling, friend... whatever. This means they love taunting, insulting and bringing down the other character while trying to worm their way into their relationship so they can break it up.

It then seems rather odd to have this character rip on them for everything except their sexuality or gender identity, when that is probably the most obvious thing to go after them for. So part of my issue is that it sometimes breaks from the characters personality to accept (or at least not attack them for) their alternative lifestyle.

My other part of the problem falls into actually how their character is portrayed. They are nearly always the same as well, which gets pretty boring:

The downtrodden, nice little cupcake, who just wants to be accepted, but all these horrible trolls keep making their lives miserable.

I don't actually have too big a problem with characters like this. But it's like all things: it has to be done well. You can't have your character be a victim yet refuse to let anyone victimize them. In life, it's very rarely completely one sided. You'll have people that agree with it, and people that don't. Please don't force the entire role playing world to bend so they all either hate or love your character.

I understand people have triggers. I get it, I have things I refuse to role play for various reasons. But if your trigger is stalking, maybe don't do a serial killer role play.

Dark lord steel Dark lord steel I got a little confused half way through that. Is your problem :

1. That people don't separate themselves from their character, so anything bad you say about their character they think is a bad thing your saying about them?

2. You like to make an antagonist character and people don't like it when the antagonist attacks their main character?

I understand people have triggers. I get it, I have things I refuse to role play for various reasons. But if your trigger is stalking, maybe don't do a serial killer role play.

This. So much this. I once RPed with a person who was triggered by mentions of sexual assault/rape in RP's, yet she still wanted to RP with my character that had PTSD from being subjected to that stuff. Said person began freaking out and bitching at me when said character had flashbacks and stuff. Like, woman, you knew what you were getting into by wanting to RP with that character specifically.

Dark lord steel Dark lord steel I got a little confused half way through that. Is your problem :

1. That people don't separate themselves from their character, so anything bad you say about their character they think is a bad thing your saying about them?

2. You like to make an antagonist character and people don't like it when the antagonist attacks their main character?
Both really, it's just the two are linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back