• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Waltz in the Windy City [V:tM 20th] - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Very insightful, all of you. And I really appreciate the input. You guys are great.

First, let me say two things. One, this is new for me. I actually have never had a game start where I wasn't able to roll into it with some ideas. And two, I really appreciate the flexibility. I want this to be fun and super enjoyable. It's Vampire. Fun should come easy. You guys are the best and I really, really appreciate the understanding.

Next, we will not have people retooling characters unless they want to or volunteer. I don't see that as fair. You chose your character and put time and effort into her/him. And I really find all of them interesting. I really want to explore them all.

Third, you know me, I'm going to turn it back on you guys. You've been flexible and incredibly patient with this game thus far. I ask for a little bit more so we can correct it a bit. I'm going ask for one more piece of input and then I'll decide how to jump-start it. I know we have a few of the opinions already, but let's see if we can get more.

So: what kind of game do you want to play? Choose one:
  1. We group you into more organic factions and I open a scene with a driving force, either a patron or an even that unites your small faction.
  2. We group EVERYONE together, despite the unlikelihood of it, under an Elder who sees your collective potential as a way to her own benefit and a mutual gain between you guys and her.
  3. We drive individual character arcs. I think the reason they're harder for me right now and I'm not getting you anywhere yet is I didn't ask enough individual questions. I didn't keep digging through your characters until we got the core of what they want.
I know it seems unlikely and, in some ways ridiculous, but I can run even down to individual arcs. I've handled more players than that. Doesn't mean it was fantastic though and I think we get more out of having you bouncing off each other or working together.

What are your thoughts / votes?

Sherwood Sherwood , Epiphany Epiphany , Esbilon Esbilon , Arynne Arynne , Kassogtha Kassogtha , Razyn Razyn , Lord-Leafar Lord-Leafar , Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws

I am wondering how to incorporate these varied characters without some external force making us all work together. Unless there is something like that going on, it would make more sense to me to break the teams up a bit; not necessarily one on one, but in some small groups. Personally, Dianne is not really set up to be a major political character, but I have some hope to make her more than just a combatant. That being said, I wouldn't mind an occasional combat where I get to strut my stuff compared to the more social vampires.

I am wondering how to incorporate these varied characters without some external force making us all work together. Unless there is something like that going on, it would make more sense to me to break the teams up a bit; not necessarily one on one, but in some small groups. Personally, Dianne is not really set up to be a major political character, but I have some hope to make her more than just a combatant. That being said, I wouldn't mind an occasional combat where I get to strut my stuff compared to the more social vampires.
I agree. I think no matter which option, we’re going to decide on an external driving force for either the group, groups, or individuals.

I think two or possibly three smaller groups that intersect occasionally would work best. We're really too varied and too many to work well as one coterie.

I am okay with groups but I do hope my character could act almost as a floater (much like I think Bug and Chip could) and maybe have cross over due to flexibility. I think being put in uncomfortable situations is such an enjoyable way to grow a character.

I am okay with groups but I do hope my character could act almost as a floater (much like I think Bug and Chip could) and maybe have cross over due to flexibility. I think being put in uncomfortable situations is such an enjoyable way to grow a character.
I like the idea of people moving between groups a lot. That definitely works.

So, I think we all agree. We'll do two or three different groups brought together by an outside source. I think ideally, as Epiphany Epiphany stated, two would be best. It will reduce the overhead for me and I think we'll get the best RP from more people in each group.

Now, what do you guys think about our two groups being:
  1. Working for the Prince. You don't deal with her directly, but through a handler. She's recognized your potential and has your working as an "off the books" investigative team outside the normal structure.
  2. An elder has picked you up to strategically work against the Prince with the goal of unseating her.
Thoughts/modifications?

Dianne is a very much a 'law and order' kind of person, and working for the Prince is the kind of thing that I can get behind, as opposed to working to depose her from her seat.

Clay can go either way, as who is Prince is not written in stone, neh? What is she has dark secrets, as most older Kindred do?

That could get really messy with the honor system on dice rolls. I wouldn't like doing that unless we have a dice roller on site or if WlfSamurai does the rolls for us.

Just a FYI, gonna be going to the Catskills for the weekend, and I've been warned there's no cell or wireless up there. So if you don't here from me for a couple days, I haven't left the game!

Much as I like the Vampire setting, not super into PvP. Hence the reason I mentioned stuff earlier.

I'm up for supporting the Prince, as Claire likes a known commodity and wouldn't mind getting good will to offset the fact that her Sire used to run Chicago.

On the other hand, opposing the Prince at the behest of Claire's Sire who wants his old job back might also be interesting. I could go either way. I like the rapport building with Claire and Dianne, though, so if Sherwood would rather support the Prince, let's do that.

Personally, I'm leaning towards 1 or maybe 3.
1 seems interesting cuz it'll be fun to play a game with two groups interacting but not necessarily conflicting
3 seems neat, because I already do a lot of single character rp, but if possible I'd rather this game be a group affair

Vampire is one of the games that frequently works well with solo character arcs. Being a very social and political game, individual plots develop quite often amongst characters with clear defined goals. Sometimes a goal matches amongst several characters, sometimes it doesn't, and quite frequently this can lead to PvP, which can be done well, but it requires extra effort from both players and ST to pull off in a satisfactory manner for all involved. That said, I think WlfSamurai WlfSamurai that you should ask a few more details about the characters if you still don't have a good feel for them. Better you get that sorted now than later into the game.

Now as for the general plot, as much as one coterie would be easier to handle, with a group as varied as the one we have I don't see that happening organically or without feeling forced. Splitting the coterie into 2-3 groups would probably work best, with individual characters flowing between groups as the story evolves and feels right for the character. It might work better with a general driving force that requires the group to split, for example:

A heist, you'll need someone to use their social skills to assume a fake identity and slip past security, you'll need someone to sneak through the basement, and other to incapacitate the guards on key locations of the building, while someone else makes sure to disable the alarms and security cameras as the rest meets up and moves in to their objective.

Just a FYI, gonna be going to the Catskills for the weekend, and I've been warned there's no cell or wireless up there. So if you don't here from me for a couple days, I haven't left the game!
Thanks for letting us know. I appreciate it.

Everyone, here's another set of ideas. And now we're getting more specific. One of the Primogen on the Council of Elders that advise the Prince has been dusted. The Prince, through an agent, is putting together an investigative team. It's hush, hush. Meanwhile, the Giovani, who generally try not to upset the Camarilla balance in the city as it would be bad for business, have put together their own group for similar purposes. I'm thinking the dusted Elder was one of their main clients. Their group investigating would be the second group of players. Both working toward similar ends, and not in conflict.

Thoughts?

Sherwood Sherwood , Epiphany Epiphany , Esbilon Esbilon , Arynne Arynne , Kassogtha Kassogtha , Razyn Razyn , Lord-Leafar Lord-Leafar , Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws

I like it. It makes sense for Dianne to be a part of that, with her investigative background, despite her young (in vampire terms) age.

So much for "off the grid" -- even old mountain farmhouses have wireless these days!

I think this idea makes sense.

I also think that Lily may be one of the people the Giovani specifically use for dealings with the Camarilla, as her Boston Brahmin accent and impeccable manners make it easy to forget her grandfather has a collection of Kennedy skulls.

So much for "off the grid" -- even old mountain farmhouses have wireless these days!

I think this idea makes sense.

I also think that Lily may be one of the people the Giovani specifically use for dealings with the Camarilla, as her Boston Brahmin accent and impeccable manners make it easy to forget her grandfather has a collection of Kennedy skulls.
LOL. So true. What a time we live in.

Perfect. I think we’re all good to move forward then. Can I get a count on who is working for which, please? Then I’m going to place you and start this thing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back