• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Waltz in the Windy City [V:tM 20th] - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Hey folks sorry for my silence, I've had a few busy days lately. I'll have a post shortly, just a quick question, we are supposed to have passing knowledge of each other in game is that correct?
Yes. Essentially, you’re all supposed to be a loose coterie. Though, there are some that at more Sabbat than Camarilla and vice versa.

apparently we're supposed to know at least one other vampire, to make it easier to gather everyone
In theory, you’re really supposed to know all the other vampires at some point.

How do dice get rolled around here? Never rolled dice on rpnation
You can roll dice where you want. Just post results. You don’t even have to link to a roller or page. We’re using the homor system. You can even roll physical dice if you want.

I have a 4-5 page paper I’m finishing this evening, but should have a post up at some point. I want to move this forward.

Yes. Essentially, you’re all supposed to be a loose coterie. Though, there are some that at more Sabbat than Camarilla and vice versa.
In theory, you’re really supposed to know all the other vampires at some point.

I'm very open to suggestions on how we all know each other then.

Dianne: Easy enough, and already worked out in game.
Roxanne: Even easier, given backstory collaboration.
Lily: Not too hard. Previously connected through a mutual mortal architect, a mutual interest in the arts, or via a Giovanni doctor they both know in common.
Clay: No idea what a penthouse-dwelling physician Ventrue and a rural-dwelling cattle-raising Gangrel have in common. We probably need to invent a unifying event. Maybe the Prince asked us to team up on something in the past and we found each other tolerable, even enjoyable?
Clyde: Claire could be a constant source of Willpower for you, judging by your Nature. It would take extraordinary circumstances for her to spend time with him, though, much less work with him on a semi-regular basis. His sheet doesn't have a backstory which makes it a little harder to find points in common.
Bug: An information broker isn't a hard sell. Claire could use him more than he could use her, I imagine, though she has regular access to both cash and blood for trade if that's acceptable.
Chip: As with Clyde, it will not be hard to regain Willpower by shocking and disgusting Claire per his Demeanor. It will be hard to imagine why she'd want to be around someone who did, though. His high finance background would make him an interesting person to converse with at least.

Probably the easiest approach is to invent a couple of events or happenings that were of mutual interest to us, and led us all to work together (with the result that we're at least willing to work together again in the future). Any ideas?

I'm very open to suggestions on how we all know each other then.

Dianne: Easy enough, and already worked out in game.
Roxanne: Even easier, given backstory collaboration.
Lily: Not too hard. Previously connected through a mutual mortal architect, a mutual interest in the arts, or via a Giovanni doctor they both know in common.
Clay: No idea what a penthouse-dwelling physician Ventrue and a rural-dwelling cattle-raising Gangrel have in common. We probably need to invent a unifying event. Maybe the Prince asked us to team up on something in the past and we found each other tolerable, even enjoyable?
Clyde: Claire could be a constant source of Willpower for you, judging by your Nature. It would take extraordinary circumstances for her to spend time with him, though, much less work with him on a semi-regular basis. His sheet doesn't have a backstory which makes it a little harder to find points in common.
Bug: An information broker isn't a hard sell. Claire could use him more than he could use her, I imagine, though she has regular access to both cash and blood for trade if that's acceptable.
Chip: As with Clyde, it will not be hard to regain Willpower by shocking and disgusting Claire per his Demeanor. It will be hard to imagine why she'd want to be around someone who did, though. His high finance background would make him an interesting person to converse with at least.

Probably the easiest approach is to invent a couple of events or happenings that were of mutual interest to us, and led us all to work together (with the result that we're at least willing to work together again in the future). Any ideas?
Yeah, it doensn’t have to be a hard and fast rule, but it’ll make it easier if you have a relationship already determined.

Hmm...

Claire - several possibilities, as mentioned
Dianne and Roxanne - met through Claire
Clay - possibly hired her or one of the companies she works for to research some property for him?
Clyde - ???
Bug - An information broker and a researcher could meet in all kinds of ways
Chip - Met in a cemetery, perhaps?

Ok, let me take a look:

Dianne - Computers and Finances go well together. especially if one wants inside info.
Claire - Maybe his Sire was either helping her research, for some reason, or have told him in passing about her? Chip would go looking if that was the case.
Roxanne - not sure...
Lily - If she ever needs muscle, or help with her finances, he can help.
Clay - They might not be the best of friends, but everyone can use help once in a while, no?
Clyde - He needs someone with connection and influence to secure a minor place for himself in the city.
Bug - Information broker? hell yeah!

Claire - Possibly once Clay moved into the area and met Claire through Elysium he may have asked her assistance in setting up his own lab where he keeps his in city cows that needed the veneer of being for research even if that is not entirely true? This would however let Claire in on the fact he mostly feeds on animals potentially which could put him in her pocket some.
Diane - With recent embrace probably Elysium
Roxanne - Would need to be introduced
Lily - Not sure
Clyde - maybe, uh, clan connections? Character bends hard against his own sort of moral alignment
Bug - Clay has zero discrimination on looks so he has almost certainly tried to be friendly with any number of less “visible” kindred who he may feel more connected to.
Chip - with recent arrival, above for Bug is true for here but in future.

Lily does attend events at Elysium occasionally, though I don't know what she and Clyde would talk about.

The only connection that comes to my mind is nasty: Clyde threatening or scaring somebody connected to her, like her Retainer and his kids or her Allies and their families and employees. Lily's response would be...interesting.

Now that the main thread is open, I'd like to keep the RP there instead of Discord.

Sherwood Sherwood , do you want to set the scene for when Claire and Roxanne come by?

You guys all have done a great job getting this started. I'm still working on how to move forward. I have a post in the making that will go up tomorrow. Thanks for bearing with me.

Apologies, ladies and gentlemen.
I had a bad case of Life Happening for a few days

Unfortunately, in a way, you haven't missed anything. I'm having a crazy hard time revving this game up. I've been thinking non-stop about it and can't figure out how to really get this moving.

I think I'm just going to take some leaps with some of the characters. If you guys think it sucks or don't like the direction, we'll change it.

Sorry it's been awhile and I haven't figured it out yet.

Sherwood Sherwood , Epiphany Epiphany , Esbilon Esbilon , Arynne Arynne , Kassogtha Kassogtha , Razyn Razyn , Lord-Leafar Lord-Leafar , Red Shadow Claws Red Shadow Claws

You new to GMing?
I can throw some tips at you, here or in PMs

I've got almost a decade of experience c:

Fair enough, fair enough
Personally, I'd love a grit and grimey chronicle. Getting dirty, doing bad things, all in pursuit of... Domination.
Aiming small (for now) but expanding Clyde's territory from Chicago to all of Illinois

While we're passing out free advice, here's mine.

It looks like we've basically got two games poised to happen. Claire, Roxy, Lily, Dianne, maybe Clay, maybe Bug, look like they'd work well together. Unsurprisingly, they were mostly the first characters created. They're largely urbane, civilized for Kindred and with personal interests likely to be accomplished through charm and manipulation rather than domain or power games for the most part. They're the carrot.

From Clay or Clyde onwards, you have the more monstrous potentially territorial Kindred in the form of Clay, Chip, maybe Clyde, maybe Bug. Gangrels, Nosferatu, they're more of the outsider niche by Clan definition and likely have darker ambitions more likely accomplished by force (or the threat of force). They're the stick.

For the sake of your sanity, WlfSamurai WlfSamurai I'd suggest one of the following:
  1. Run two games, one with the 'civilized' group and one with the 'uncivilized' group. Given their disparate natures and ambitions, they may never cross paths (and that may be for the better given the probability of some mutual antagonism).
  2. Run one game with a unifying plot, goal or purpose. Have the Prince put these two groups together to accomplish something neither can do alone. Easiest way to run with the broadest audience without retooling. If you don't have a plot in mind, um, let us know and maybe we can suggest one for you? Though you still run the risk of having to split people up, or having chunks of characters with little to do when another chunk is in their element, it's manageable. Certainly having a greater objective above personal objectives minimizes points of conflict.
  3. Have half of us retool our concepts to match the other half. At least in as much as having the characters have similar goals with similar methods, to make it more likely they'll all work together naturally. That also focuses the potential plot, reducing the "I'm not in my element" probability.
Most of the cast looks pretty neutrally-inclined, able to work with humane and inhumane Kindred alike. It may be just Claire and Clyde as the greatest outliers, one who values human life and disdains inhumane Kindred and the other who's stock in trade appears to be using threat and force to coerce anyone in his path. To be blunt, Clyde's the type Claire would stay the hell away from at all costs so working with him will require that she (1) never meets him, (2) has a greater objective to achieve that makes it worthwhile to work with him or (3) I need to change Claire's concept so she doesn't find Clyde abhorrent.

You've got a big cast of characters here so I don't know how much room you have for personal story arcs. If you're asking for Claire's, I would be greatly entertained if she has an option to (A) learn something secret and perhaps undiscovered about the Ghoul process to further her research, (B) find and win allies to gain influence and prestige in Ventrue and Camarilla circles, and (C) find a lead on whoever murdered her back in the 1970s, with or without a connection to the Russian government, and get a little vengeance. Claire is built for a game of courtly intrigue, shifting alliances, making deals and finding secrets. Gunplay, torture, lots of time on the street dealing with punks and thugs and drugs will put her wholly out of her element so if there's going to be lots of that, I probably need to retool or scrap her (or just let others take the driver's wheel for those parts...unless those parts become most or all of the game).

Last edited:
I like a mixture of one and two -- a sort of "two lines, no waiting" thing. Maybe with a meetup at the climax, after all the characters have got enough invested in what's going on that they can't just avoid each other out of distaste?

Lily's goals involve pursuing her obsession with cemeteries, mastering Necromancy, and finding a way to win the respect of her family...without losing her own self-respect in the process. Whether Lily, or any vampire, can really be said to have morals is an open question, but she most definitely has standards.

(The truth is, Lily is somewhat taken aback by the manners and customs of Kindred in general and Giovanni in particular. While she understands what an aggressive, ruthless, ambition-driven bunch they are in the abstract, the level of petty meanness many of them display is dismaying. Just as bad - to her way of thinking - is their overall lack of good manners. Really, what is the point of immortality if you're going to spend it making yourself so terribly unpleasant?

Rumor has it that upon witnessing her first Black Mass, Lily's only reaction was a muttered, "Dear me..."

Despite all this, she is actually quite fond of her family and tolerant of their...eccentricities. She'll be the first to tell you that she loves them all dearly. They're just so...driven.)

Chip might come across as the brute squad, and he can be played that way, but that's not how he is designed. His start is rough, because he came in from a different city, and doesn't know people here, but the plan is, once he settles in, he will arrive at Elysiums wearing expensive suits, fit for his frame, and while he's not gonna a pretty face, he will set himself up as both a muscle, and a financial guy. He's meant to be a non-conventional Gargoyle. Let him a chance to grow, and you'll see it. He plans to buy a penthouse to set up his domain in, for example.

I imagine he and Lily would get on rather well, so long as he didn't feel her first reaction -- one of childlike delight in his existence (a real, flesh-and-blood gargoyle!) -- was patronizing. She'd be quick to employ him as a financial consultant once she found out about his talents.

Clay sort of just happened, mostly to fill a potential muscle roll for the group earlier on. He is a more genteel sort than sheer brute though as he has some moral throw back from when he was kine so less likely to be a real jerkwad.
That being said I do not mind making a whole new character if was needed and also do not mind playing some devil’s advocate to the ST to help things along.
I have been out of the rp game for years but desperately need to get back to my creative side and will do anything needed to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back