Experiences The Weirdest Thing You've Googled for a RP

Can you forge a sword sized sewing needle?

One of my characters came to a blacksmith with the request and I had to know if it was feasible.

Viperfish
Necrosis
City map of New York
Dysphotic and Aphotic zones
The presidential line of succession down to state governors
The math of the spread of a zombie apocalypse
Homemade defenses against an EMP

definitely my millions of searches about places in kyoto. some of them were werid places and creepy places there. my fbi agent must be confused. maybe he thinks im going to run out of the country

For RP's... Pretty mild things, actually:
- A variety of curses in Scottish Gaelic (The c-word also translates to "kitten")
- The meanings of flowers (Specifically a variety of colors of roses)
- Lots of stuff on Arthurian/Celtic/Norse/Slavic/Egyptian/Greek mythology

For writing stuff however... I think whoever's tracking the internet history of writers thinks we're crazy murderers.
  • How to summon demons
  • Symptoms of being possessed by evil spirits
  • How to kill someone without the murder being traced (apple seeds. You can ***** murder someone with ******* apple seeds!)
  • Murders and mysterious deaths in 17th century France
  • Hierarchy in various civilizations
  • How would Clockwork Technology work as opposed to Steam Powered Tech?
  • Explosion radius of bombs and how many people would die if caught within range
  • Is it possible to survive after you're shot in the stomach?
apple seeds... interesting

Just want to drop this here
e052b837-0d63-4203-af24-96f0e15305df.png
Useful when I need to find out if a certain brand of chocolate is more expensive than cocaine.

Based on my past RP-ing experiences, these are (some of) what I got:
  • Mandolin case
  • Bow parts (of the archer variety)
  • Brain Power lyrics (yes, it's a song from a rhythm game)
  • The Watson trope
  • Possible distance traveled in two weeks on foot
  • Orchestra seating chart
  • How to restring violin strings
  • Medieval knight name generator

Last edited:
Oh, continuing my FBI agent's descent into madness, I recently looked up several articles on cystic fibrosis, specifically on if you could choke because of it. It's because I'm making a character that suffers from it, and I didn't want to half-ass and just make assumptions from what I've heard.

So many of these responses are comforting. Knowledge is power, right?
Something I've been looking into recently has been deals with the devil and the history surrounding them (I think someone mentioned something similar above). I've found that on a lot of websites, especially on places like youtube (reliable research ;) ) there are many people praying in the comments. I'm not sure who does this type of research with the intention of trying it but the comment section always spooks me out.

So many of these responses are comforting. Knowledge is power, right?
Something I've been looking into recently has been deals with the devil and the history surrounding them (I think someone mentioned something similar above). I've found that on a lot of websites, especially on places like youtube (reliable research ;) ) there are many people praying in the comments. I'm not sure who does this type of research with the intention of trying it but the comment section always spooks me out.
That's...creepy. I do know a bit too much about traditional views of Hell, specifically the one depicted in the Divine Comedy, but that was primarily my own curiosity and not for research.

That's...creepy. I do know a bit too much about traditional views of Hell, specifically the one depicted in the Divine Comedy, but that was primarily my own curiosity and not for research.
That's one of the weird things I googled for an rp! Which layer of hell was for what, and what each one was like. I mostly stuck to the one layer that was relevant to the roleplay, which I can't recall now.

That's one of the weird things I googled for an rp! Which layer of hell was for what, and what each one was like. I mostly stuck to the one layer that was relevant to the roleplay, which I can't recall now.
Did something for a Persona RP where each villain was based off of a layer of hell, though it never got far enough to introduce them. I find it all oddly fascinating. Probably because I used to be very religious when I was younger.

I'm currently reading the Wikipedia page on gremlins in order to determine a character's supernatural features beyond the nigh unsuppressible ability to cause technical glitches.

I honestly don't think this is weird, but the quote-unquote "normal" people in my life might think researching the ethnicity of celebrities is weird. To be honest, it's not that uncommon for my character creating process anymore. I frequent that search when casting my characters (I use celebrities for face claims).

I once had to google how much blunt force is required to kill a man. Pretty sure I'm on some no-fly list for that one.

There was this one time I made an eco-terrorist character whose go-to thing was bombs. So naturally, I had to very creatively google it without triggering my local FBI agent and make them think I was an actual eco-terrorist. 😂

Aside from that, most of my google searches regarding RP and general story research is just a lot of celebrity searches, a lot of real estate, and trying to find who could pass for this and that age. xD

When elevators were invented. I don’t even remember why but it was some historical fantasy roleplay and my partner wanted to know if elevators would exist.

i tend to spend wayyyy too much time trying to find places that are in Kyoto that aren't actually real. also hotels and stuff there, makes it look like im gonna run the country

im also doing a bunch of research on monarchies and that probably seem a bit sus (there were plenty of bad monarchies) (also thats kinda for a game im making, not a rp, but whatever its here now and never going to burn)

edit: *realizes i already posted here* ........................................... imma go now

Not really weird, but I'm pretty sure my phone things I'm a junkie or an alcoholic because of all the times I looked up drugs and alcohol, even gave me a number to call. 🙄

I also looked up powers (again not weird)

But I haven't really looked up anything weird for a rp.

i tend to spend wayyyy too much time trying to find places that are in Kyoto that aren't actually real. also hotels and stuff there, makes it look like im gonna run the country

im also doing a bunch of research on monarchies and that probably seem a bit sus (there were plenty of bad monarchies) (also thats kinda for a game im making, not a rp, but whatever its here now and never going to burn)

edit: *realizes i already posted here* ........................................... imma go now

Research on monarchies is hardly odd. For a lot of people it's a hobby. Besides, it could be researching Nazi Germany or North Korea as I have for RP's.

Lots of stuff about how surnames work in different countries, especially the laws around naming in Iceland (they have a whole committee for it and everything) I still get ads on YouTube about holiday destinations in Iceland now??

Different types of fabrics for dresses, and technical terms around different stitchings/fabrics/parts of dresses.

Herbs used for healing pastes (as well as honey), I already knew a lot about herbs coming from a pagan family but I did a DEEP dive into different combinations, the conditions the herbs would be found in the wild, how to collect honey, etc.

So many random questions about weapons, technical terms and uses etc etc. I feel like anyone who writes a lot of fantasy goes through this lmao.

Folklore monsters from around the world (this one is also just a hobby of mine lol). Lots of research in middle eastern or desert folklore?? Mongolian death worms I did a HUGE deep dive on.

The Spanish Civil war and the political causes

Lots of random fandom questions, "how tall is [this very specific minor character]" or "family tree of [very specific Harry Potter character who is mentioned twice]"

-The atomic weight of uranium
-Human leather
-is the measurement "the average human body" ever accurate
-Marriage and family life in the Roman Empire
-Are xenomorph "eggs" more like sperm than eggs
-Are xenomorphs actually kweens
-Blowing a beached whale up with dynamite
-Is fire plasma
-What does ionized mean
-What if you cook and eat a vampire
-Why can you heal cuts but not regrow limbs
-Immortal jellyfish
-Is oxygen poisonous
-Mustard gas
-Can you tattoo your eyes
-Eye transplant
-Are hydrogen bombs the strongest bombs
-What happens if you blow up the moon
-Underwater cityscapes that aren't atlantis or bioshock
-how to survive a skydive without a parachute
-Why is Gordon Ramsey married
-how big are blue fin tuna
-where do blue fin tuna live
-is the vatican a country
-can you strangle a snake
-Is Santa more powerful than Darkseid

-how to sweet talk a girl
-how to know if she is the one
-notice me senpai
-questions to ask new friends

...I swear I'm not this socially awkward, desperate, or personally interested in girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back