Experiences The Weirdest Thing You've Googled for a RP

i remember searching up how to skin a deer and remove the parts you can't eat, i have probably searched up way worse but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

As the title says. I'm sure we've all been there. You're typing up a response or you're cooking up whatever kind of post for an RP. Whether it's info, or lore, or an interest check... You hit a wall and you're like... Wait, what about x y and z?
So you crack open the good ol' google machine and end up down the rabbit hole of weird wiki articles or blog posts about a random topic.

Hence the question, what's the weirdest thing you've searched up for an RP?

I'll start.
At the moment, I'm RPing a character who has gotten stabbed severely (with a sword) and has had his arm sliced off. This would have killed off a normal person, but based on the universe he's from, he's a bit harder to kill. However, he is still human so you can imagine he's in a bad shape. On top of not having access to proper medical care beyond "patching up"
So I looked up "how it feels like to lose a lot of blood" to make sure I was playing this right.
Thankfully no one looks at my browser history because they'll be like what the fuck are you searching up lol

Losing blood isn't fun, by the way. I kinda knew that. But I didn't know this tidbit:
"low-urine output"
That is just... Really specific for some reason 🤣

Well, that’s good to know!

I can probably only offer the generic ‘what does a dead body look like after a week’ ‘structure of x crime organisation’ etc. searches but this post really got me thinking about some of them and how interesting searches like the above and ‘was Nietzsche gay’ look out of context, especially one after the other.

Well, that’s good to know!

I can probably only offer the generic ‘what does a dead body look like after a week’ ‘structure of x crime organisation’ etc. searches but this post really got me thinking about some of them and how interesting searches like the above and ‘was Nietzsche gay’ look out of context, especially one after the other.
Right. One after another it'll look bizarre. Especially when you start clicking a bunch of links because something caught your interest and you get distracted. Another weird thing I remember googling is about castration in ancient times and about eunuchs...

Right. One after another it'll look bizarre. Especially when you start clicking a bunch of links because something caught your interest and you get distracted. Another weird thing I remember googling is about castration in ancient times and about eunuchs...
Look, now you’re gifted with all this totally useful knowledge to bring out at parties :’)

"can you survive being stabbed in the eyeball"
"would your eyeball pop out if you got stabbed in eyeball"
"what does being burned alive feel like"
"how much pain can someone tolerate before passing out"
"can you survive being shot at close range with an ak-47"

...Every time I write a grim crime RP, the FBI agent stalking my internet searches starts to wonder what the hell I'm up to. God bless incognito tabs.

I was disappointed to find that nowhere had answers on what would happen if you injected perfume directly into your bloodstream.

"can you survive being stabbed in the eyeball"
"would your eyeball pop out if you got stabbed in eyeball"
"what does being burned alive feel like"
"how much pain can someone tolerate before passing out"
"can you survive being shot at close range with an ak-47"

...Every time I write a grim crime RP, the FBI agent stalking my internet searches starts to wonder what the hell I'm up to. God bless incognito tabs.

Sadly, incognito does not save you from your isp raising some eyebrows xD

I was disappointed to find that nowhere had answers on what would happen if you injected perfume directly into your bloodstream.

This is... oddly specific lol. But considering how wide the world is, I'm sure someone has wondered something similar... just hadn't thought to post it on the internet i suppose 😂

Sadly, incognito does not save you from your isp raising some eyebrows xD

Only protects you from the prying eyes of your household/fellow computer users XDD

BTW there's already this thread: Other - The Weirdest Thing You've Googled for a RP

I think I put my responses in there already and it's a fun read.

But also ... I wanted to look up injuries and medical treatment so this time I went to look for "resources for writers" first (because minefield lol) and found scriptmedic on Tumblr. She actually has a really good post about blood loss effects, treatments, etc. you might want to read, and it's geared towards how you might write these things rather than for example gory pictures of actual wounds or too much technical detail. I've spent a good few hours reading through that blog now.

If people want to look up sensitive topics it's not a bad idea to look for writer's resources first because then it's obvious to a casual observer that you only want to know the torture details for your creative work. XD I found that the Nanowrimo message boards are good for scoping things like this out.

There was more than one thread actually so it gave some incentive to merge them all together because they are indeed fun to read XD

Most of my searches are related to injuries (like most of you lol), fashion and some specific historical stuff because AMBIENCE. And torture, of course. How can we roleplay without torture.

There was more than one thread actually so it gave some incentive to merge them all together because they are indeed fun to read XD

Most of my searches are related to injuries (like most of you lol), fashion and some specific historical stuff because AMBIENCE. And torture, of course. How can we roleplay without torture.

I don't tend to do torture in my RPs XD I'm so PG13 hehehe. But I do a lot of historical research and collecting images. I find that if you want to get good details of historical or cultural stuff books are the best option. There's a lot of bad info out there on the internets. However if you don't have books you need you can fall down some great rabbit holes online diving for that one important item. This is why I don't believe anyone who says they are bored when they have the Internet. XD

This is why I don't believe anyone who says they are bored when they have the Internet. XD
This lol You can start researching torture and end up with language of flowers XD No way to get bored.

-This one was a string of searches; How long a teenage girl can survive without food, water, or sleep, and with continuous exercise
-Types of traumatic head injuries
-Everything having to do with comas and mental defects/illness
-Military issued knives and handguns
-Types of automatic machine gun
-Are reproductive acts affected by menstruation
-How many DUIs one can have before losing their license
-Criminal insanity and laws surrounding it
-If a criminally insane person can get away with murder

Thats only a few of them lmao

- “What does coronary artery vasospasm feel like?”

- “Ventricular Septal defect symptoms”

- “Is coronary artery vasospasm chronic?”

- “how long do muscle spasms last?”

- “What does being bitten by human teeth feel like?”

- “how to draw detailed scratches and wounds”

- “how long can infection thrive inside a wound?”

- “Can smart zombies bodyslam someone?”

These were all for a zombie apocalypse Roleplay I swear!

Definitely did a lot of googling about poisons in the past, but uhhhh relatively recently did a lot of googling and then repeated searching when I forgot specifics of making opioids from poppy flowers, how do you do it, what parts of the plants, etc, poppy seed/opioid tea. You know, for medieval/historic medicine.

Plenty of writers deal with google searching weird things. Mostly gore or violence related things, since that sort of thing is far from easily accessible from a descriptive standpoint. People want to know what they're putting their characters through, so there's nothing inherently wrong with that. Definitely weird to anyone else, but everyone I know has googled gore for writing at one point or another!

That being said, my weirdest one has to be the gratuitous information on "bull penis," not for writing anything bull-related, but rather for writing about someone proposing that they try to eat it. It's a culinary thing, I swear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back