• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Lore
Here
Kyle smothered a chuckle as Esme opened a carton and immediately recoiled from the contents. He was fairly certain that one was meant for him. Grabbing a pair of the strangely packaged shin'cara, chopsticks they called them here, he puzzled over them briefly before figuring out how to split them apart cleanly. Esme had turned on the television and settled on something that looked like a cross between cooking and dirty tricks. It all seemed to be in good fun, for despite some truly terrible acts by the shows host everyone seemed to be taking the sabotages in stride. Amusing.

"Want to try it?" Esme asked, holding her container out to him.

"Thank you," Kyle said, fishing a small bite out with his chopsticks and popping it into his mouth. "Not bad, though a bit sweet for my tastes. You are welcome to sample mine, but it might finish 'singeing your eyebrows off '."

Kyle sniffed his own dinner, then fished of a large chunk of chicken liberally coated with something red that promised wonderful heat. He wasn't disappointed. While this dish lacked the hard hitting power of the ghost wings, it was still a respectable dish in its own right. The next hour passed comfortably, Kyle and Esme taking their time with their respective dinners while they laughed at the crazy ideas the one named Alton Brown came up with to vex the cooks competing in his odd game. The show ended just as Kyle was disposing of the cartons their dinner had been packaged in. Heading back to the futon he flopped down bonelessly, taking care not to crowd Esme and trigger her, hang up.

"I fear you might be correct in your earlier assessment of my condition," he admitted after a moment. "I truly have little desire to do much more than sit here and do nothing but enjoy the company. Before we succumb to the blandishments of the boob-tube, how are your feet feeling? I've been to what you call a 'new age' store that had an impressive collection of medicinal herbs, and have laid in enough of a stock to craft a balm to soothe away aches and minor pains if you have need. "

Fable Fable
(Dr Demon is IN)
(Ps. Robot roll call! )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( X3 I only skipped about a week, instead of the full two. Let me know if I need to change anything. )

"I fear you might be correct in your earlier assessment of my condition," Kyle admitted. "I truly have little desire to do much more than sit here and do nothing but enjoy the company. Before we succumb to the blandishments of the boob-tube, how are your feet feeling? I've been to what you call a 'new age' store that had an impressive collection of medicinal herbs, and have laid in enough of a stock to craft a balm to soothe away aches and minor pains if you have need."

"First, you gotta stop calling it the boob-tube. That slang died out probably before I was even born. My feet will survive, a bit tender, but nothing compared to having to stand for twelve hours straight, it's nothing that a dose of Tylenol won't be able to handle. All the pain relief, without having sticky feet covered in a balm," she joked. "I appreciate the offer though." She stretched out her legs a bit before standing up, going into the bathroom and grabbing the small pill bottle of the medicine she had just mentioned. She popped two of the pills into her hand before returning the bottle into the medicine cabinet. She sat back down, tossed the small pills in her mouth and took a few swallows from a drink to help them go down.

"Well, since we're not going to play card games, my plan to have you do ridiculous things as payment for losing have been foiled," she laughed.

They spent the rest of that evening digesting their dinner and watching random shows on television. Esme at one point purposefully putting on an annoying reality show to watch Kyle cringe and question why anyone would find this entertaining. Eventually they retired for the night, only to continue the lessons the next day regarding Esme adapting to Kyle's movements. She struggled at first, finding it hard to follow his lead, but after a few songs, managed to avoid stepping on his toes.

The week went on with more advanced lessons, Kyle, nothing so complicated that she'd get her legs twisted or break an ankle trying to do them. There was progress in other areas as well. Slowly, fractions of an inch, sometimes even an whole inch, the physical distance had reduced. There was still a gap there between them, but it wasn't nearly as wide as before. Sometimes it was a bit of a two steps forward, one step back in these attempts of closing the distance. It helped greatly to not feel pressured to have to force herself into an uncomfortable proximity, and Kyle's patience helped.

"Wait wait wait," she said as Kyle mentioned where hands needed to be placed for these some actual couple dances, "Just give me a moment and explain this to me again. There is going to be a hand... on my hip. Just making sure I heard that correctly. Let's just... try that without dancing at first, precaution so I don't trip over myself."

Kyle chuckled ruefully. He had feared this might become a sticking point despite Esme's remarkable efforts in closing the distance between them. There were actually four partner positions he had hoped to be able to teach her, but her reaction made it plain he would be lucky to get one or two. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"There is a slightly more formal stance that you might be more comfortable with to start off with," he said after a moments thought. "If it would make you more comfortable. You would place your left hand upon my right shoulder and bend your elbow. My right hand would go just below your left arm, with my right palm open on your back just about the level of the bottom of your shoulder blades."

Kyle shook his head slightly at the though of the formal dances, but if it was what it took to make Esme comfortable, it would be so.

"There is a more, close knit, version of that pose calling for my arm to encircle you at the waist, but that will be long in coming I think." Kyle said. "The reason I choose the initial pose I did, your hand on my shoulder, mine upon your outer hip,is that it gives the maximum separation and most versatility. I am sorry that I did not account for your needs as well. I am trying."

Kyle considered Esme's suggestion, and then nodded. Perhaps if they returned to the very basics.

"Let's try this," he suggested. "I shall hold my position. You may choose to move up to meet me if you wish. If you can assay that, we shall return to simply walking together, me matching myself to you. If at any time you become uncomfortable for any reason, merely drop your hand and I shall back away."

Kyle stepped back, then positioned his right hand out at a level that would just rest upon the crest of Esme's hip if she chose to approach. If was slightly higher than it would have been, but he had been slowly increasing the height of Esme''s heels a fraction of an inch every couple of days. Another couple of days and they would be nearly two inches. Back to the issue at hand. He smiled encouragingly at Esme as he waited. No matter what she chose to do, there would be nothing but calm acceptance and approval upon his face.

Fable Fable
(Demon is now a life sized Ken doll. Fully articulated and posable with included music track. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Lol, sure everyone wants one of x-mas, huehuehue. )

Esme took a deep breath as she stared at Kyle as he stood in place, awaiting her to step forward to take a dancing position. She could do this, normal people did this without any problem, and she was normal, wasn't she? As much as being a witch made anyone normal, but still, just an average person learning to dance. Kyle wasn't going to just randomly grab her ass or anything, if anything he was a gentleman... usually. She stepped forward into place, standing there awkwardly for a moment with Kyle's hand hovering over her hip. She cleared her throat and first placed one of her hands upon his shoulder. She paused then, she wasn't feeling her normal feeling of anxiety. Sure, she was nervous, but there wasn't a panicky fear taking hold of her.

She used her free hand and basically guided Kyle's hand the rest of the way to her hip. "Think I can handle this," she stated with a bit of triumph. "Maybe once we start moving I won't be as tense." She used her hand to dig her phone from her pocket, expertly sliding her fingers across the screen to start up a playlist that would be relayed to a Bluetooth speaker. She cautiously began to move as they had done before, practicing to adapt and match a partners movements and pace. Eventually moving to the rhythm the music set, putting the lessons to good use and displaying she'd learned quite a bit in the short time they had before the gala.

"I'm good with this position," she finally said. "Maybe you're growing on me," she said as a bit of a joke, though there was a bit of truth to it. He proved he wasn't going to grab at her without consideration. Just that alone made her trust in him more than she had anticipated. She was like a wary cat perhaps, just needed a bit of time to warm up to someone before allowing anyone to touch them. "I think I'm alright enough to try to actually dance without my handicaps."

Kyle remained perfectly still as Esme slowly approached him. He wanted to cheer when she hesitantly placed her hand on his shoulder, but he didn't, instead doing a perfect imitation of a statue. After a moment, Esme reached down and moved Kyle's hand down to rest on her hip. He let it rest there as if it were sitting upon the finest Chinrian blown glass, fit to shatter at the slightest rough touch.

"Think I can handle this," Esme stated with a bit of triumph. "Maybe once we start moving I won't be as tense."

Kyle didn't bother trying to hide the approval and pride showing on his face as Esme started up her playlist. Her steps were a trifle hesitant at first, but as the music continued her steps firmed, taking on the rhythm of the music and mirroring Kyle's steps.

"I'm good with this position," she finally said. "Maybe you're growing on me. I think I'm alright enough to try to actually dance without my handicaps."

"I believe you are correct my lady," Kyle said warmly. "Let us see what we may accomplish."

Without giving Esme a chance to protest or over think, Kyle shifted his steps from walking to the simple glide step that he had taught her on their fifth day. Esme's face registered surprise, but her feet never faltered, taking up the pattern Kyle sketched out with fingertip pressure. Glide and turn, circling about an imaginary point on the roof, roles reversing as Kyle turned control over to Esme as the pattern doubled back on itself. There were perhaps a few bobbles, but no one's feet suffered. Kyle kept his attention fully centered on Esme, not even bothering to try and conceal the happiness he was feeling. As the song drew to a close, he stepped back from Esme and bowed, raising their clasped hands so he could brush the back of her knuckles with a dry kiss.

"I believe that we may safely say that you can, indeed, dance." Kyle said around a smile. "The rest is just putting the pieces together as the music directs. You know yourself, what do you think we need to practice?"

Fable Fable
(Demon is doing the happy dance on the inside! Sorry these are shortish, but I don't want to progress Esme at anything but your pace.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
( Okay, now that the universe isn't working against me getting things done today, here we go! )
( Literally started typing... at my internet... DIED! )

Kyle hadn't hesitated and effortlessly and seamlessly went from walking with her in this dancing position to leading her into into the dance without any warning. She did her best to trying to combine the lessons Kyle had been teaching her, from walking to the dance movements. She was more focused on that than Kyle's hand on her hip. However, she managed to keep from stepping on Kyle's toes, which itself was an accomplishment in her book. She felt a fluttering nervousness at Kyle's delight, but she didn't have the urge to shove him away from her. She tried to focus on something else than Kyle's face, like his shirt. It was only when the song ended and he stepped back to give a simple kiss on the back of her hand that she panicked.

She tugged her hand away, her cheeks burning, so she was pretty sure she was radiating unease. "I believe that we may safely say that you can, indeed, dance." Kyle said around a smile. "The rest is just putting the pieces together as the music directs. You know yourself, what do you think we need to practice?"

"Well, seeing as I didn't fall over or crush any part of your foot, it's just practicing at this point so I don't stumble around during a music change or something. Then there is the proximity alarm," she awkwardly laughed after mentioning the one thing that made these dance lessons more difficult than they needed to be.

"It's hard to close any of that distance when you do things like, what you just did," she said, referring to him kissing the back of her hand and lifting said hand slightly. "My mind explodes with thoughts from 'Why is he doing that?' 'He's just messing with you.' 'It's a trap.' 'You're being too sensitive.' I was fooled once by falling for these types of things, so it's... difficult to see it as anything other false flattery. I know you don't mean anything by it. I mean, I'm the one who interprets this kind of stuff to wrong way? Never mind, I'm rambling."

Esme cleared her throat and pulled her phone out of her pocket to stop the music. "Doesn't help with what you said back at my mother's place either."

"It's hard to close any of that distance when you do things like, what you just did," she said, referring to him kissing the back of her hand and lifting said hand slightly. "My mind explodes with thoughts from 'Why is he doing that?' 'He's just messing with you.' 'It's a trap.' 'You're being too sensitive.' I was fooled once by falling for these types of things, so it's... difficult to see it as anything other false flattery. I know you don't mean anything by it. I mean, I'm the one who interprets this kind of stuff to wrong way? Never mind, I'm rambling."

Esme cleared her throat and pulled her phone out of her pocket to stop the music. "Doesn't help with what you said back at my mother's place either."

Kyle sighed, but managed to keep his dismay off of his face and out of his voice. Once again he had managed to screw things up.

"I guess I got lost in the moment, " Kyle said. "On my world that action has many meanings. Greeting a noble lady, expressing thanks or approval to a lady, and yes, expressing interest in getting to know someone."

Kyle paused, reviewing what had transpired on the ill omened trip. He cocked his head to one side as he rapidly replayed the events, both good and bad before sitting down on the roof.

"I said many things at your mother's house. I imagine this is what is causing the problem however. 'I imagine she fears I would take an interest in you, and...And, she would not be wrong'. I told you I could lie to you but that I would not. I shall not start, now or ever. At this moment I seek to become your friend. Once the specter of your Seal had been removed, and you have the choice whether or not you wish to have anything more to do with me?"

Kyle paused, heaving an audible sigh before continuing.

"Yes Esme, I would indeed 'take an interest' in you. You are prickly, stubborn, opinionated, and lack a sense of self worth. You are also brave, kind, loyal, and determined to be better than those who have wronged you. There is a quiet strength within you, despite you not believing so. You are beautiful in body and in spirit."

Kyle stood, turning to look out over the rooftop as he contemplated their situation. He just didn't know what to say or do.

"I've probably screwed things up even worse, " he said, not turning to face Esme. "I was never any good at this. De'lindara always teased me about my ineptitude. But, she told me to always be honest, and I took that lesson to heart. Gah! Now I'm the one rambling. Why do my brains flow from my head when I try to speak to you Esme?"

Fable Fable
(Notifications are broken. Glad I checked. And Demon is confused, scared, and praying she doesn't tell him to jump off the roof)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Ah, yeah happens, it's why I keep a bookmark, lol. Sorry if it's a bit of a mess, trying to get it done while being poked for things. X3 )

Esme stood there wordlessly for a moment. They were both struggling with a very awkward conversation. She had expected him to tell her that he had no sort of interest in her besides being a friend. That was what he had proclaimed as wanting. She thought she was just mistaking things, misreading actions and words. His questioning tone about what she would want of him after her Seal was removed was something she didn't know how to answer.

"Honestly, when you said you wanted to stay after the Seal was removed, I had assumed you'd stay here. You know, teach me magic. I hadn't thought anything along the lines of casting you out once the Seal was removed. I couldn't be a friend if I did something like that to you, and I won't."

She fidgeted slightly as she paused, making her all the more nervous since she was delaying a bit. That and she didn't know what to say in regards to Kyle's perception of her. Her usual reaction to compliments was to just shrug them off. Compliments usually just felt like empty flattery, void of anything but a plot to gain something for their words. Kyle's were not ones she could so easily brush off. He hadn't lied to her that she could recall, but she just couldn't understand how he thought that of her. She opted to just let him say it, but not reply either way. She didn't know how to reply to a compliment really. 'Thank you' sounded like a vain thing to say.

"We're both doing so poorly in this conversation is seems. Two people rambling in circles around each other. I just thought I was reading too deep into your actions, which I'll admit I still feel like that is the case here, trying to remind myself that it's probably normal where you're from. Trying to keep myself from thinking there was anything deeper beyond a cultural difference from you. Kinda of hard to do that now. I... don't know what to do in these situations anymore, not that I did originally, just that I've not learned how one is supposed to.. be? Maybe, we should, continue on as normal and just let things fall as they may. I don't know whether I'm nervous around you because of my anxiety or something else. Maybe I'll eventually have an answer on that."

"I believe one of your songwriters captured this situation well," Kyle replied, finally turning to face Esme. "'Isn't this rich? Aren't we a pair?' I know the rest of the song isn't quite right but those words seem to fit."

Kyle shrugged a bit helplessly, trying to figure out how to salvage things and protect both his and Esme's feelings, but his mind didn't seem to be up to the challenge. Finally, he decided that they were just going to have to muddle through, together.

"I'm sorry I'm so inept at this Esme," he said, his voice gentle. "I can't promise that I'll never do anything that makes you uncomfortable, because I just don't know better, at least not yet. Despite my ignorance, I can tell you this in complete honesty, and whether or not it will make things worse or better, I cannot say."

Taking a deep breath, Kyle forged ahead, looking straight into Esme's eyes as he spoke, trying to convey the sincerity of his words.

"I will never do or say anything in an attempt to manipulate your feelings. I will not engage in 'empty flattery' trying to worm into your affections. My intentions are to become your friend. If we can become friends, I confess that I would like to see whether or not we could become perhaps more than friends. For now though, I believe it should be as you say. Let us learn to dance, let us learn what we would about each other, and let the future sort itself out. It may turn out that we find hidden traits that are totally at odds, or that circumstances conspire against us. I'm not going to worry about that. I am going to try and enjoy the moment, and not be the 'dark and brooding demon'. I pray you can do the same."

Fable Fable
(The curse of living in a world where magic works, and spoken words have power. It makes him clarify everything. Here's hoping Esme doesn't run away screaming.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(-runs away screaming- jkjk Esme is Kyle's friend, he needs to get that message in his head. X3 Sorry it's short, but I didn't want to not reply today.)

"No need to apologize, I am just as inept it seems. I do know that you try to be considerate of me. I know this, so I try myself to try not to be bothered by things when do them accidentally." Esme picked at her own fingernails slightly, nervously since his words about seeing if they could become more than friends. She had no answer to this kind of confession. Her heart fluttered in her chest, but was that because of something she felt towards him or something else? It'd honestly been a long time since she'd felt anything she thought was close to affection in a long time, not the affection for just a friend, but that wanting of being close to someone.

"Chances of you not being a dark and brooding demon seem pretty low," she attempted to latch on to the joke so that they could move past this discussion. They both had agreed to just let things go where they went, and that was fine with her. While that didn't mean problems wouldn't happen later, it would be something to deal with when it happened than to bring it up before it was even possible. "And stop hoping that we become friends, we are friends. If you weren't my friend, you wouldn't help me dance, would you? Or all the other things you do. So, you're my friend."

She stopped picking at her nails, and offered Kyle a grin before speaking, "Please tell me where you're from that if anyone dares to be a friend there is some officially paperwork on the matter. Or do I need to say it over again? Kyle, I am your friend. Now, what the hell should we eat for dinner? I'm sure you're probably sick of eating junk food, I might even dare to cook. How terrifying!"

Kyle chuckled as Esme delivered the last part of her speech. The first part had warmed him in a way he had forgotten was possible. A friend. So, let the future take care of itself. For now though.

"Well, " he said, taking on a contemplative air. "There are the Articles of Acquaintance, in triplicate of course. The Banns of Befriending, to be filed within the courts after the Articles are ratified, then the formal Declaration of Friendship, which must be executed before..."

Kyle broke down laughing, the expression on Esme's face was just too much.

"I jest, I jest! " he gasped, hoping to prevent another attack such as the one that had laid him low in days prior. "And if you wish to brave the terrors of the kitchen, I stand ready at your side. None may wield a spatula with more consummate skill than I, though to be fair I've never helped you cook, so I could be proven wrong. At least we don't have to worry about sabotages, right?"

Fable Fable
(What is this? A no drama post? Is clueless demon actually getting a clue? You the viewer will decide. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Oohoho, I have drama planned for later, worry not!)

Esme seriously believed him for a moment as he listed of what seemed to be the names of paperwork required to befriend a person. She severely hoped he was joking, and thankfully he was. Oh, she was gonna get some packback for that one. She didn't know what she'd do to him just yet, but something would probably come to mind later. Two could play this game of screwing with each other over cultural differences. Maybe she could even get Liz in on it.

"I can managed to cook on my own, though probably not with as much expert skill. I've only been cooking for what has probably been a blink in time to you. And sabotages, only if I accidentally do them to myself. I once... put some ginger in spaghetti because I wasn't paying attention to the spice I grabbed from the spice rack. That was... well, interesting is a polite way to put it. I've since learned to read before adding spices into anything being cooked. I probably will have to run to the store though, I don't trying to cook with that is in the fridge right now would work out very well."

Esme pulled out her phone to check the time, it might be a bit of a late dinner if she had to run to the store. Then there was an issue of not knowing what you even cook. "Anything in particular you'd want to try? That isn't spicy? You can always spice yours up, have pity on us with mortal tongues. Also, it'd have to be something I'd be capable of actually cooking."

She realized she'd pretty much restricted the dinner options with what she just said. She could try and cook from a recipe, but the problem with that is she always managed to screw it up a few times before managing to actually successfully cooking it. She made her way to the door and opened it, looking back at Kyle, "Maybe I'll just cook something I know I won't screw up." She went down to the apartment with the mission of checking the fridge's contents, just to make sure she really had to go to the store. There wasn't much to be found inside, mostly leftovers from the times food was bought and brought back home or delivered. So, she'd just have to buy everything she needed after all.

After this preliminary check, she informed Kyle she'd be back in a bit, planning on taking a taxi instead of the bus. It was more expensive, but also much quicker. She actually went to the store and was back in a little under and hour this way, and she didn't have to worry about having to carry grocery bags on the bus. One she got back to the apartment, she placed the bags on the counter, "Some days I really wish there was an elevator." She pulled everything from out of the bags, rolling up the plastic to shove it into the trash. After a bit of noisy clanging around in the kitchen, she started cooking, though she did cut herself once when she was cutting thin slices of chicken breast. Another hour later and she was done. She'd cussed a few times, threatened Kyle to keep out of the kitchen, but she managed. The pub style chicken was done, though when she plated the food, she did put some habanero peppers on the side for him. She brought the food out to the table with a bit of a victorious smile.

Kyle accepted that Esme didn't want his help with good grace, though he was still a bit worried about the gleam in her eye as she had realized that he was joking about friendship on his world. She was planning something, he was certain of it. After some time spent perusing the contents of the kitchen, Esme had departed with the intention of going to the store. Kyle decided to spend his time setting up the music for their next lesson, and trying to decide what he was going to wear to compliment Esme's dress. He was also running what she had told him about her past over and over in his head. Something was hovering just outside of his awareness, but try as he might, he couldn't get the picture to come into focus.

Esme's return drew him out of his contemplation, though she went straight to the kitchen, summarily banishing him until she was done with her cooking. He had broken her edict only once, when a sharp exclamation and some truly inspired cursing had emanated from the kitchen. He had rushed in to see Esme sucking on one finger, and the look on her face had sent him scurrying away, figurative tail between his legs. ti was some time later that Esme brought her offering to the table, a victorious smile upon her lips. The dish seemed to be based around some kind of glazed chicken, and smelled quite nice. Kyle couldn't help but grin as he saw one plate contained a side of hot peppers.

"I promise I shall taste your dish as intended first," he said as he moved to the table. "Ah, whoops."

Kyle turned and headed to the bathroom, making certain his hands were clean before returning to the table. Esme was already seated, so Kyle sat and took a bite of the chicken. While lacking the kick of truly spicy food, the blend of flavors was actually quite nice.

"You may call your efforts successful," Kyle said with an appreciative smile. "In fact, I think I shall save the peppers you so thoughtfully provided until after I have finished this."

The dinner conversation was fairly innocuous, since they were both quite hungry, and perhaps a bit nervous still from their earlier conversation of the day, but the food was good, as was the company. When they had finished, Kyle collected the dishes and moved to the kitchen to clean up. If it took a bit longer to perform the task without resorting to magic, Kyle found the end result more satisfying, even if it was merely cleaning up. Leaving the dishes to dry, Kyle returned to the living room, finding Esme ensconced on the futon idly swapping channels. At Kyle's gesture, she turned off the television and gave him her attention.

"I have been speaking with Liz," Kyle said. "And I know what she plans on you wearing, though I am sworn to secrecy on the details. Armed with that knowledge however, for the rest of our lessons, I need you to wear something other than sweats or jeans. If you have a loose, ankle length skirt or simple dress that you could wear, it will go far in getting you used to moving with cloth swirling about. For myself, I shall be wearing the boots I have created for myself for the evening. However, there is one thing I need to ask you. Who, or what, do you wish me to accompany you as?"

Seeing Esme's slight frown, Kyle hurried to clarify.

"You know I can change my appearance," he said. "I can make it seem that I am wearing prosthesis', and play any part you wish. Do you wish to travel with a demon prince? An elvish lord? A werewolf? I am at your service in this matter."

Fable Fable
(Demon knows Esme's outfit. Demon wants to give Esme an opportunity to have some say in the evening.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Put on a show! Lel~)

Esme smirked at Kyle as he told her that her efforts in cooking had been successful, even going so far as to eat the meal without the additional peppers. She honestly wasn't sure if the peppers would have mixed well with the flavors of the meal, she was just trying to do her best to be considering about his particular pallet. She still couldn't quiet understand that whole thing with the spices, but if he liked his food that way, she was going to try and accommodate the best she could, even if she feared accidentally burning off her own taste buds in the effort.

After dinner she did what she normally did and channel surfed for a bit while Kyle tended to the dishes. He'd been pretty adamant about it and she wasn't going to refuse the offer. Once he was done though, he sought her attention so she turned off the TV and turned towards him. He wanted to discuss changing up her wardrobe a bit to adapt to moving about in a dress, basically. She knew this was eventually going to get brought up. She honestly didn't own a skirt; long or short.

"I'll have to borrow something from Liz's closet, not much of a dress wearer. And seriously, you could change into a werewolf? This isn't a haunted house," she laughed. "Honestly, I have no idea. I mean, what exactly does a Demon Prince look like? If it's anything like that other form of your's that is going to be rejected as a possibility. Evlish prince, maybe. I think there might be a ton of people dressed that way though. I mean, it's just some simple ear prosthetics and the outfit. I'll probably be taking the easy route and go that way myself. You don't have to match me, really, though I have a feeling you're going to do so anyway. How about this, show me what you meant by Demon Prince and then Elvish Lord."

Kyle chuckled wryly as Esme admitted that she would have to raid Liz's closet for something to practice in. From what he had gathered, Esme wasn't much of a dress or skirt person, at least not currently. He was rather looking forward to seeing her after Liz finished her tender ministrations before the ball. He rather thought they would make quite the pair. For now though...

"Well," he said. "I don't think wings would be fun to try and navigate about a dance floor, not to mention a tail. No, I had something rather more, sedate in mind."

Kyle concentrated, willing his skin to lighten to a pale, nearly ivory shade as his hair turned platinum and began to lengthen. He stopped it from growing when it had fallen past his shoulders, then focused on his head. A pair of ram-like horns pushed their way through his hair, curling around until they framed his face at a distance of about four inches. He couldn't change the color of his eyes, but his pupils became vertical slits.

"How's this?" he asked Esme, grinning. demon-cropped.jpg

"Of course, there is always this option," he said after giving her a moment to take in his appearance. Once again he exerted his will, his horns retracting as his hair grew even longer. His ears took on a delicate point as his facial structure lengthened. His pupils returned to normal, and he reached back to brush his hair to one side before presenting himself to Esme with a cool smile.

"This is also an option." High-Elf-male-1-Copy.jpg

"Of course, as long as what you wish is humanoid, and nearly my size, I am willing to accommodate your wishes," he said as he let his form flow back into his normal self. "Now I need to go grab those peppers for a snack. I'll be right back."

Fable Fable
(Changling demon is a changing.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Esme prefers Kyle to just be Kyle.)

Esme gave Kyle her full attention, a bit like an excited kid about to watch a magician perform some magic tricks. She was honestly curious what he was going to change himself into. "You have a point about the wings. I wonder how many are going to try and dance around wearing a pair of fake wings, or even go to the bathroom. Sounds like a nightmare." She watched as he transformed into what she assumed was the Demon Prince form, complete with horns. She pursed her lips slightly, but kept her comments to herself. Soon after he changed into the Elven Noble, changing his features once more.

When he was back to his normal form and went to get the pepper snacks, she waited for his return before speaking, "Neither. I don't like either of them. I thought you were just going to change a part of yourself, not your entire face. Couldn't you just change your ears without the additional changes to your normal face? Honestly, going to the gala with you appearing like someone else kinda... feels creepy? It would probably feel like I'm going with a stranger. So, the majority of you should be completely unchanged I think, wouldn't that also be easier on you? So, maybe just, let me see you with pointy ears or something."

She preferred Kyle as himself rather than those other forms, just if it was a minor change that would be all she would ask of him, "Also, you'd have less to explain to how to got your ears looking so real. Having real horns might get some suspicion because normally those will wobble around on a person's head I believe. And while you said Liz won't let you tell anything about what she has schemed regarding my outfit, can I at least know what you plan to wear?"

Something squirmed inside Kyle as Esme expressed her preference for his natural form. It wasn't an unpleasant sensation, and it warmed him somehow.

"It shall be as you request my lady," he said. "And as for what I intend to wear, I'm actually at something of a crossroads. I've been to your Goodwill? store for raw materials, and have crafted a couple of outfits, but I can't make up my mind. Perhaps you can tell me what you think, or let me know that I've missed the mark completely. I'll be right back."

Kyle retrieved a couple of bundles of dark cloth, and headed into the bathroom to change. He had no problem with changing in front of Esme, but he knew this world frowned on such things. And he didn't wish to make his friend uncomfortable. Friend. Kyle found he liked the feel of the word in his mind. On this world it wasn't a sign of weakness, of danger. Here, it just was.

Choosing one of the packages at random, Kyle shook out the fabric and drew it on. Dark pants, a dark tunic with elaborate embroidery, black leather belt, soft boots, and a dark cloak lined with gold quickly replaced his street clothes. Looking at his reflection in the mirror, Kyle elongated his ears slightly, drawing them out to a delicate point before nodding to himself. Time to see what Esme thought.

"This is one of my choices," he said, moving to stand in front of Esme, giving her a chance to examine his outfit.
1st.jpg

After a couple of minutes, Kyle headed back to the bathroom and carefully removed and stowed the costume before shaking out the second. This one was actually more modern, but Kyle thought it might meet the criteria. More dark pants, and he could just hear Esme's voice. "Why do you love dark colors?" A high collared shirt , then a long over coat with golden highlights. A cane with a surprise or two built in completed the look, and Kyle once more presented himself for Esme's inspection.
CWqySStUYAIE8Pf.jpg

Once he had stowed the second costume back away after Esme's perusal and re-donned his street clothes, Kyle returned to the living room and sat on the end of the futon.

"Do you think either of those would work?" he asked a little nervously. "If not, I can see what else I can remember, or find."

Fable Fable
(Demon might need some help. Fashion is not his strong suit.)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Liz would have be the better choice in getting fashion advice, hehe.)

Esme nodded in affirmation that she knew of Goodwill, at least he was being smart with his limited funds, though it also helped that he could pretty much make any outfit he wanted probably out of any material as long as he had access to enough. Magic had it perks. She sat back on the futon and played a stupid mobile game as she waited for Kyle to change into one of the outfits he was considering for that evening. She stopped tapping on the screen of the phone when he returned, looking up to give him her full attention. She felt like she needed scoring cards or something, one of those silly things you sometimes saw in movies when others were judging something. Since she wasn't sure what his other outfit was going to be, she kept silent before giving any judgement.

When he changed and returned once more, appearing in a more military outfit, at least to her. She looked it over and did connect the fact that Kyle seemed to prefer dark clothes, nothing she'd make a big deal out of since she tended to prefer darker clothes herself. When he was back in his normal clothes, joining her on the futon after his mini-fashion show of only two outfits, she finally spoke, "The cape is a bit much." She has a slightly apologetic look when she said this, since she wasn't sure if it was something he was really into wearing or not. "Honestly, I do prefer the second, just because I have less to worry about tripping over, and the other cape wouldn't feel as grand without the cape. Which one was more comfortable for you to wear though? I'm sure you'd rather dress comfortably if given the choice."

She paused and tapped her index finger against the seat of the futon, "Also, I've got to admit, you look pretty good with pointed ears. Anyway! You don't need to get all crazy trying to determining an outfit. You could probably wear a garbage bag there and still look handsome. Oh, on the subject of outfits, since you did say you would answer my questions. What's commonly worn where you're from? Do you wear capes or codpieces?" She smirked playfully when she asked her question about capes and codpieces. "Or maybe you wear something more like a toga? Unless... you are all just naturalists and find yourself wearing clothing." She was now clearly teasing Kyle, though she was genuinely curious.

Kyle chuckled a bit over Esme's comments about the cape. Truth to be told, he preferred his capes to be functional rather than flamboyant. Good honest woven wool and leather, not velvet and gilt. Kyle hadn't thought that the Highguard officers uniform would be spectacular enough, but he had always enjoyed the cut and fit. Things were looking up.

"So," he said, grinning at Esme. "You wish to be accompanied by a Captain of the Highguard. Very well. I rather doubt that I should add the proper weapons however. Maybe a single ceremonial dagger, obviously a prop, would be in order."

Before he could say more, Esme apparently decided that it was time to resume her favorite game, Quiz the Demon.

"Oh, on the subject of outfits, since you did say you would answer my questions. What's commonly worn where you're from? Do you wear capes or codpieces?" She smirked playfully when she asked her question about capes and codpieces. "Or maybe you wear something more like a toga? Unless... you are all just naturalists and find yourself wearing clothing."

"Well, much as here, one's outfit is based upon the situation one expects to find oneself in," Kyle replied. "As well as one's station and house. Our cotton analog is spun as yours used to be, save by water or magic powered devices. Coarse weaving is done by hand, but the highest quality work is done by the Weavers, who specialize in weaving with their Craft. We have, for the most part, retained simple clothing, though Court dress is a form of combat in and of itself. I'd say what you could expect to see at a Renaissance Festival is fairly close."

Kyle grinned a trifle wickedly as he continued.

"As for a toga? Well, there is usually a Bacchanalia involved, which also means it would be entirely possible to see someone wearing naught but a codpiece and cape, or even, how did you put it? Ah yes, au-natural. We do not have quite the same level of body modesty as you do on this world, but we don't usually walk about naked. My, lack of attire during our first meeting was due to my instinctively absorbing my clothing to add to my mass when you pulled me to this world. I suppose you owe me boots, a belt, pants, work tunic, and gloves, but we'll call it even, yes? Normally we would undress for the usual reasons, swimming, bathing, sleeping, though if the latter involves company, sleep is usually considered optional at that juncture."

Kyle chuckled at Esme's expression as he delivered his last comment in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Don't give me that look. You started this with your talk of codpieces."

Fable Fable
(Kyle is slowly getting comfortable enough to tease back. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Quiz the Demon, a game everyone can enjoy!)

Captain of the Highguard? Esme guessed he was pulling outfit ideas from where he was from since she was pretty sure that wasn't a thing here, unless it was just something he made up for his role for the evening of the gala. She listened as Kyle explained the more technical side of outfit creation, which was not something if interest to her, she was just curious about the fashion that was normal there. When he said that Court dress was a form of combat, she quirked a brow as she tried to understand how exactly that worked. Was it like a fashion stand off or something? Equal to the stupid 'worst dressed' list that came after the Oscars?

She wasn't shocked when he said the clothes were similar to what could be found in a Renaissance Faire. She would have been shocked if he had described something that belonged in a sci-fi movie rather than a historical drama. It was an interesting though... a futuristic society that held the system of medieval times (OOC: Oooh, setting ideas!). Kyle's grin made her narrow her eyes, what was he up to? The moment he said Bacchanalia, her eyes widened and she sputtered a bit, he had to be joking.

"W-Wait, you're joking about that right? Are you seriously saying that you guys have sex festivals? I don't even know what to say to that. Congratulations, you have pretty much made me unable to comment on something.
As much as I'm curious about where you're from, I don't think I'd ever plan a visit... ever. And just for your information, here it's not exactly modesty that keeps people clothed, for some it may be, but not for everyone. How to explain it... it's special. I mean, to only have shared something that personal with a particular person."

"Nevermind," she said, flushing at the way this conversation was going, "I'm probably what is considered a prude by today's standards. And yeah, I know I was the one who brought up codpieces, but with the amount of posturing that probably happens there, I wouldn't be shocked it that came into play somewhere, somehow. Now, to awkwardly change the subject! No, I don't owe you any clothing, you're the one that absorbed them. So, ha! And tonight you are going to learn how to play card games."

She got up and went into her room, shaking her head to herself over that strange, but amusing conversation. She dug around her closet until she found a simple deck of cards, right next to a box of tarot cards she had gotten as a gift from her mother one year. She grabbed both and returned to the living room, "Hey, do you guys do tarot over there?" She set the intricately carved wooden box containing the tarot cards down on the small table before opened the small box of playing cards. "Considering magic is apparently real, makes me wonder if they actually work or if it's all just smoke and mirrors," she said as she expertly shuffled the deck of cards, splitting the deck in half and folding them into each other almost half-way before bending them so they merged together. She did this a few times, knowing that the Joker cards had long since been removed and thrown away.

Kyle snorted at Esme's exclamation about sex festivals.

"They are not public festivals," he said. "They are private parties of like minded individuals, and by invitation only. What B'chussina was thinking when he started... Never mind, it's not important and far too late to fix."

Kyle reached out and let his hand hover over the box containing the Tarot cards, senses alert for the slightest hint of Power. Feeling nothing, he sat back with a relieved sigh.

"Fortunately, those cards possess no Power," he said. "They are, something I wish had never made it over to this world. By themselves, they are nothing but a children's game, but add Power and they become, dangerous. I've learned about your phrase 'self fulfilling prophecy', and in the wrong hands, cards like those can become the worst possible kind. Given enough Power, they could influence someone to the point where they actively seek out the events predicted in the cards. That is the worst case scenario. Best is that you get a tiny glimpse of a possible future. A possible, not the most likely."

Kyle watched Esme expertly shuffle the cards, wondering what she was going to try to teach him. He was quite certain that she was going to take shameless advantage of his ignorance of this world's games, but at least here nothing but perhaps a little dignity was at stake. He would play along.

"So," he said with a perfectly straight face, "It seems you hold all the cards. What nefarious scheme have you concocted for your evenings entertainment at my expense?"

Fable Fable
(Demon knows he's going to get played, but he'll play along for now. )

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(She's not a card shark, except probably when it comes to teaching others. X3 A real card shark would ruin her, lol. You ever watch Vision of Escaflowne? Concept of the cards is very similar. Also, if you want to timeskip them playing cards, feel free. :3)

"Y-Yeah, no more talk of sex parties of any kind, way too late to fix that derailed conversation," she agreed with a small nervous laugh. That had one way into a conversational territory she didn't want to venture into. She waited as he directed his attention to the box of tarot cards, seemingly relieved that they didn't possess any power. The way he explained how they worked, she would probably feel the same way. If the cards could actually influence a person's 'fate' which she wasn't sure was really a thing (but that was a different thought to follow at a later time), it wasn't something she'd want to mess around with.

"Huh, not very weird my mom would give them to me then, if they held no power. They actually belonged to my grandma, the tarot cards, she'd tell people's fortunes sometimes. I'm a bit glad their just a family heirloom and not dangerous like that stupid grimoire, which we still have to get LIz to give you. I think since your two are no longer enemies, she might be willing to listen to you about the book. I don't want to leave it here... is it weird to say you don't trust a book to be left alone for too long? Sort of the feeling I get with that one."

She shuffled the deck one last time before dealing out the cards, "And I've not planned anything evil, I said I was going to teach you how to play War. So, we each get half of the deck to start and the ultimate goal is to win all the cards. Hmm, do you play with cards like these back where you're from, or should I start with explaining the cards themselves first? I mean, you can count so you'd get the basic concept of the game, just the face cards might confuse you. Basically, each player takes a card from their half and places it face up, the card that is higher wins and both cards go to the winner's hand. If two cards of the same power are played, then each player places one card face down and then another card face up. The higher card would then win, but if it's a tie again, the players repeat with one card down, one card up. At least until there is a clear winner. I'll explain the face cards as we go."

She placed down her first card, a Queen and smirked at Kyle, "Also, you can only pull cards from the top of your deck. So it's completely random, a matter of luck with War."

"I rather find that planning plays a large part in wars," Kyle said. "Though the demon Murphy is alive and well on both worlds, so perhaps there is an element of luck involved as well."

Kyle flipped the top card from his pile, revealing a ten of spade. Esme scooped both cards up with a triumphant grin before flipping her next card, a five of diamonds. Kyle's own flip revealed a knave, no, they call it a Jack here, of clubs. At Esme's gesture he collected the cards, placing them face down as she had beside her pile. For the next half hour they flipped cards, going back and forth. Unfortunately for Kyle, Esme seemed to have luck on her side, as she won two of every three multi-card battles. It seemed that she was destined to win quickly, but Kyle had a run of good luck when he was reduced to a paltry four cards, all of them high value. Just as in a real war however, the demon Murphy revealed his presence as Esme claimed his sole remaining Ace, as well as a Queen and Jack, in a protracted battle. Once his Ace was gone, it was only a matter of time before his final card made its way into Esme's possession.

"It seems I am destined to lose to you in all battles," Kyle said with a lopsided grin. "At least this defeat will not require me to fall upon my own sword."

Getting up, Kyle stretched the mild kinks out of his back, then headed to the kitchen to grab something to drink. Rather than take the time to make something, he helped himself to one of the cans of 'soda' in the fridge. He started to head back to the living room, then paused. Gah. Where were his manners?

"Can I bring you anything Esme?" he called.

Fable Fable
(Kind of short, but hey, it's only a game of War, right? And no, I've heard of the show, but never seen it. Is it worth the time?)

Tarmagon Tarmagon
(Yup, though War can be a long-ish game. It's my fave anime tbh. I actually used to have the collector's VHS for it because I was like 'must collect it all' but lost it cause of Irma. T_T But I still own the DVD boxset. There is a scene where the main character tries to change "fate" by swapping out tarot cards.)

Esme grinned at Kyle once she obtained his very last card, "There isn't much skill in the game, but it's still fun to play. To be honest, I worry about teaching you poker because you might learn quickly and turn the tables on me. And all battles? Highly doubt that, you could probably out run me, and you clearly have better cooking skills. But yes, no death required in losing a card game here. We also didn't even agree to a bet before we even started play." She placed the deck of cards back into the package they belonged in, setting them down on the table next to the tarot cards.

When Kyle got up to get a drink, returning with a soda and suddenly asking her if she wanted anything, she laughed. "Seems the world is rubbing off on you a bit here." She was of course joking, while Kyle was adapting, he would still be who himself. "I'm good, thanks though. Hmm, are there card games over there? Since I've taught you one, maybe you can teach me one, though obviously if magic is involved that wouldn't work out very well. Honestly, not having to attend work or school is giving me a mild case of cabin fever. Maybe we can go to a bar and play pool or something."

"Play pool eh?" Kyle said. "I doubt you mean the water filled kind, so I shall assume that you mean billiards. It has been a long time since I learned the use of the cue, and I was never very good at it, but I did enjoy it. I imagine that this world has its own games and rules, but the basic mechanics of striking a ball and causing others to fall into pockets should remain the same. I don't recall seeing pool tables at your place of employment, and I doubt you wish to go there anyway, so where did you have in mind?"

Kyle still didn't know much about the area, since he only went out when Esme could accompany him. Despite a slowly growing level of confidence, the only places he went regularly were a small corner store and the carriage company. He had been out exploring while trying to find a job suited to his skills, but he hasn't been doing much but keep his head down and go where his phone directed him. Maybe with her free time Esme could actually show him around without having errands hanging over them.

"Perhaps it would ease your 'cabin fever' if you were to show me around a bit one day?" Kyle asked. "I need to go by and see if Greg needs anything fixed in the morning, but maybe afterwards we could just, take part of the day off? For now though, let me go change into something suitable to get 'hustled at pool' in, and I would be delighted to sorry you to your tavern of choice."

Fable Fable
(Why is my drama sense tingling? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back