• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Storm King's Thunder: Main RP

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Part 0: Prelude

Ellya

oi mate
Storm King's Thunder
Part 0: Prelude
General Rules:
  • Try to put some effort into your posts. I'm not saying you have to write multiple huge paragraphs each time, but at least one would be appreciated. You have the opportunity to really explore your character's thoughts and feelings here, so try not to just type a sentence or two describing what you do.​
  • Remind me to use thread markers. This is a new function I only just found out about: on the top right in the "options" button above a thread, you can view the threadmarkers. I can add significant posts to this so you can always easily jump back- or forwards to any major story-related updates. I may forget to use them, so if you feel like a post is significant, let me know and I'll add it!​
  • When combat starts, I will share with you the AC and saving throws of your enemies. You are allowed to roll an enemy's saving throw against your spell or effect. This way, you know whether or not you hit and can describe it accordingly.​
  • I will also ask you to roll initiative at the start of combat, but this does not have to decide the post order! Just make your post whenever you can or want to, and I'll account for the initiative order. Your turn in combat may be skipped if I feel like enough people have posted and we can't wait too much longer. If about 75% of the players have already posted their actions, I may not wait for the rest, just so we can keep it flowing nicely.​
  • Combat rules may change over time, this is very much experimental!​
  • Use the dice thread and OOC thread for their purpose. These are linked at the top of the page every time. "Characters" goes to the signup thread so you can read up on character's info or check their visual references. "OOC" goes to the OOC thread, obviously. "Other" goes to the Dice thread. If you have any dice to roll that you don't want to roll on your post, do it there!​
  • Let me know about any issues you have! As I said, this is all highly experimental and I'm just trying to find the best way for everyone to enjoy themselves, so if you have any problems or suggestions, please share them with me in a PM or on discord: Ellya#0322 .​

StormKingsThunder_header.jpg

Within Nightstone, life is simple. It's the kind of town one would come to live when they're either looking to settle down peacefully, or just take a temporary break from the harshness of the outside world. With how well defended the settlement is, not much worries those who spend their lives there. If any potential attackers weren't stopped by the moat or the walls, the squadron of guards would do the trick.

Those who still worked, mostly tended to do so within the town, making their living off a farm that had stood for many, many generations, the trading post, the stables, or the local inn which saw its odd visitor once or twice a week aside from the regulars draining the barrels and kegs amongst laughter and friends. Because in Nightstone, everyone knew each other, and everyone was their friend. Whether you were the type to attend every feast or the type to sit at home minding their own business, everyone knew each other. With a total of only eight structures housing families or single persons within Nightstone, it was very hard not to know the rest.

Today is a day of celebration. It would be impossible to look outside and not see the colorful flags and banners all along the town, the mostly cheerful inhabitants running around with heavy carts and tools, whatever they could carry up to the square. In the middle of the square, around the decorated large chunk of dark obsidian Nightstone, tables were set up and food was already being prepared. Every baker, cook and bar-aid was put to use today, for not a hand could be spared in preparation for the grand anniversary of Lord Drezlin Nandar's death.

velrosa.jpg
Lady Velrosa Nandar stood watching over the preparations with a smile. Despite her stern and aged face, she always had a softness in her eyes, and today it seemed to be mixed in with grief. Her husband Drezlin was slain by the elves from Ardeep forest just a year ago now, and while the loss left her heart heavy, she took his death as an important lesson. That very day, the newly widowed Lady Velrosa brokered a peace with the elves that had lasted ever since. As she clasped her hands and silently watched the proceedings, she couldn't hold back a smile thinking back to her husband and seeing the widespread appreciation for his unknowing sacrifice.

"Hm? Oh, yes, Kella, don't worry, I'm fine," Velrosa offers a smile to a woman in dark beige monk robes passing by and placing her hand on her shoulder, checking on the acting ruler of Nightstone. "Please, let me help you with that..." With that, the noblewoman grabs one side of the large basket of a variety of bread and pastries that Kella the monk is carrying, and helps her bring it to one of the tables. "Oh, and..." she continues while arranging the edibles onto the table so all would be in reach of them "... would you mind passing by the guard towers with these and telling them to raise the bridge and come join us? I'm to give my speech quite soon..."

With a nod, Kella the monk grabs the significantly lighter basket of baked goods and starts making her way around the city, rounding up all the guardsmen and other stragglers that may still be home. As this happens, the town crier makes his own rounds as well, passing by all houses and magically amplifying his voice, repeating the same two sentences over and over again.

"PLEASE GATHER AT THE TOWN SQUARE FOR THE FEAST. LADY VELROSA IS ABOUT TO GIVE HER SPEECH!"

The Ardeep Forest
Creek Creek Lazaro1505 Lazaro1505

Creek Creek
It hasn't been too long since you left your home in search of adventure and answers. After all that time spent along, the prospect of finally meeting whoever happened to live within the settlement just near the forest filled you with a strange mixture of excitement and anxiety. Who knew what kind of people they would be? Were there even people there? Maybe the town was taken over long ago by the roving band of Orcs that sometimes came to cause trouble within the Ardeep forest. No, the fact that you did occasionally spot a group of travelers coming through what passes for a path in the forest, or a couple of children daring each other to see who would take the most steps beyond the treeline, told you that there was some form of civilization nearby. And they had to live in Nightstone, because the clan of wood elves living in these woods rarely stepped out of it.

On your journey southward, a noise distracts you. And... a certain smell. The smell of damp fur. Probably some animal that hasn't had a wash in quite a while. A brief search eventually reveals the source of this smell, and you're surprised to see it's humanoid. A Ratfolk stranger seems to be wandering southward as well, occasionally glancing back at the western edge of the forest. You instinctively hide yourself among the trees as to not get spotted. This is your domain after all, and if you want to be hidden, you know exactly how to do it. And, it seems, the company of eight wood elves that's currently tailing the Ratfolk from a distance, knew the same tricks as well...

Lazaro1505 Lazaro1505
You've followed the Dessarin river southward for a long time now. It had been more than a week since your last stop at a civilized town, but since your last stop wasn't as pleasant as you'd hoped it to be, you figure that may not be such a bad thing. Nevertheless, your camping gear is starting to reach the limits of its usefulness, your rations have run dry a few days ago and you've been living off of fish ever since, and at this point, it probably wouldn't hurt you to have a good night's rest. The river runs to your right and for a time now, there has been a forest to your left. It stretched out as far as you could see and seemed eerily quiet and dark. You swear you could pick up occasional swift movements and noises, but when you turn to look, nothing is there but trees. You can't help but wonder what kinds of useful plant life could possibly be found in such a forest, so after spending most of the day walking a good distance from the treeline, you dare to tread a bit closer. And closer. Eventually even stepping past it. The odd mushroom or strange-looking moss draws you further and further in but you make sure to keep the edge of the forest in sight at all times as to not get lost.

Eventually though, you're relieved to see the trees end in front of you. This must be the southern edge of the forest. You're even more relieved to see that in the far, far distance, there seems to be a sort of settlement, not too huge but not too small, surrounding by a wooden wall. It would take a few more hours of travel to reach, but you could definitely get there today if you leave soon.

Thoughts fill your mind as you consider the options, when suddenly an object comes whooshing past your ear at an impressive speed. The wind seems to almost cut your ear, but no physical wound is left. You turn your head after watching the arrow dig into the ground ahead of you and face a band of elves. About eight of them, all wood elves, and five of those eight currently have their bows drawn and aimed at you while the rest seem to be keeping their eyes on the surroundings.

Concept-Rogue.png

One particular elf with an angry face steps forward, his weapons still holstered but his hands just itching to grab and use them. "Don't move a muscle. Don't make a sound. You'll be silenced before you can call your companions to aid. You are not one of our kind and you are not welcome here." He simply says, his eyes staring daggers into yours, seeming to be waiting for some kind of response from you, but something in his expression said he was just hoping for you to make some aggressive move.

The High Road
Idea Idea Dethrix Dethrix TeikiFox TeikiFox

Idea Idea Dethrix Dethrix
You've been traveling along the High Road for days. As evening approaches, you spot a wooden signpost next to a trail that heads north into the hills. Nailed to the post are three arrow-shaped signs. The two marked "Waterdeep" and "Daggerford" follow the High Road but point in opposite directions. The third, marked "Nightstone" beckons you to follow the trail. If memory serves, Nightstone is roughly ten miles up the trail.

"Ah! Now would you look at that, we are on the right path after all! Good sir, your navigational skills have proven to be quite useful indeed!" The nobleman Hommett calls out. Out of the entire group, he definitely stands out. A plumper gentleman with receding blonde hair tied in what could barely be called ponytail behind his head, dressed in fine silks that have been splattered with the occasional bit of mud over the long journey. He'd always had a smile on his face, always had a cheerful tone, and was extremely annoying.

oMykyGM.png

The man he called out to had introduced himself as Xolkin. This dark-skinned half-elf wears studded leather armor and rides always in the front of the troupe. Behind him are two of his six companions, a male tiefling and female half-elf, dressed similarly. Next in the ranks was a large cart being pulled by two more horses. Two of Xolkin's friends flanked the cart, and two more followed behind it. Each of his companions seemed heavily armed, most having a crossbow on their back and a dagger in their belt, some holstering a scimitar, falchion or other one-handed blade. On Xolkin's shoulder rested a green reptilian creature with wings but no other limbs. At first it had the appearance of being a tiny dragon, but on closer inspection it turned out to be a flying snake.

"Indeed, Hommett. The road south was very hard to follow..." Xolkin sarcastically called back to the nobleman sitting on the front of the wagon, which the man didn't seem to pick up on. Xolkin had kept an air of mystery about him and his companions this whole time, always answering questions in the vaguest way possible, but doing so with a confident smile on his face.

You two are traveling with Xolkin and his companions. As long as you said nothing, nothing was said to you, but you were treated fairly. Ever since joining up with this small caravan with the idea of strength in numbers in mind, you were allowed to sit on the cart that was headed for Nightstone. You were even given food if necessary, in return for the simple promise of helping to watch each other's backs should any kind of trouble show up.

Dethrix Dethrix
You joined up with this party after a short day of travel on your own. You're very familiar with how dangerous this road can be, and how valuable a bunch of armed companions could prove in a sticky situation. The more time you spent with them, the more certain you became of one fact: these were mercenaries. From how armed they were to how heavy their pouches looked, especially Xolkin's, all signs pointed to them living the same kind of life you dipped a few toes into as well. And maybe they recognized that part of your life too, since they've shown you a certain kind of respect this whole time.

Idea Idea
With your one purpose in mind, you decided to travel down the High Road as well. It was mostly by coincidence that you heard a band slow-moving horses and the creaking of a cart behind you at one point, and turned to see the company of Xolkin along with seven friends, one having a bandage across one of his eyes for some reason. At first they simply offered for you to join them on their way to a town called Nightstone, and if you refused, they would have become more insistent. Mostly because the leader of this little pack seemed to have taken a particular interest in keeping you close by.

Dethrix Dethrix Idea Idea
This company of mighty nine warriors and one less mighty turned their horses and cart onto the road leading up to Nightstone before pausing one more moment and starting to set up a temporary camp. Xolkin hopped off his horse, patted its mane and then offered a wide smile to the rest of the troupe. "Friends, we shall make this one final stop before starting the final stretch to our destination. We will take a half hour to eat and rest our horses. You, join my men in scouting the area, you, make us one of those fires, would you?" He added, pointing to Ehlark and May respectively. Four of his men set out to explore the immediate surroundings for any potential threats while the others got busy grabbing the last of the food from the cart as well as what would be needed to prepare and cook it, setting up a small temporary camp just out of visual range of the High Road.

Dethrix Dethrix
As you scout back toward the road a bit, you hear a voice. Just as you peek over a hill, you see a rugged man and a young, humanoid girl with blonde hair on horseback.

TeikiFox TeikiFox
The mercenary you've been traveling with was definitely a strong but silent type. You were a bit unsure about paying him his rate, but from what you heard, protection on the High Road was an invaluable necessity. And in the end, you were still left with about ten gold pieces, which should be enough to make your way to Nightstone. After traveling from Waterdeep with this mercenary, he still hadn't even shared his name. The only thing he'd said to you was "Stay," before moving ahead and brutally chopping a couple of feral goblins to pieces just by the road ahead. Ever since then, it had been quiet though.

He had lended you one of his horses, a beautiful white mare , while he rode his own rugged and old-looking brown one. When the both of you got up to a wooden signpost indicating Waterdeep in the direction you came from, Daggerford to the south and Nightstone to your left, he stopped his horse. "Off you go, little lass" he simply said. You give him a confused look but before you can even speak, he continues. "Off my bloody horse. The arrangement was 'down the High Road up to Nightstone'. Can't continue down the High Road anymore without going away from Nightstone. Now, off my horse." His tone and expression were equally cold, but it didn't look like he would take no for an answer.

As soon as you get off the mare, he reaches over and grabs it by the reins, slowly trotting away and giving you one final look, his voice slightly softer, almost pitiful. "... Gotta pick your words carefully, missy..." he muttered as he went off, back north toward Waterdeep, leaving you behind on the High Road, Nightstone apparently a certain unknown distance east of you.

Dark eyes dart to the side to track the familiar arrow as it travels, watching only long enough to see where it falls before flicking back to its source. Toric has seen more than his fair share of arrows just like that one in his lifetime; they seem to escape their masters' weapons with some frequency. Rarely in his direction, of course -- he's always done his best to keep quiet and out of the elves' way, and if they have been aware that he lives in the forest, they don't seem to care too much. He has, however, often found them forgotten on the ground, or buried in the bark of a tree, or perhaps stuck harmlessly into the thick fur of a lucky animal that was not so lucky to escape him. However, for all that he's gathered quite a collection of these things over the years, something tells him they don't so often miss. Perhaps it's the particular glint in the keen eyes of the elf he now watches, who he notes has already drawn another arrow. He's careful not to move a muscle or make any noise to reveal himself as he crouches amongst the leaves watching, lest that next shot come his way.

As for the one who steps forward -- perhaps Toric has glimpsed him before. Or perhaps not. It proves difficult, sometimes, to tell the people he has usually watched from afar apart. He certainly doesn't look particularly friendly, though; he stands poised, aloof but ready to react at any moment like a serpent drawn up and ready to strike. It might be aggression, or maybe intimidation. He'd be all puffed up if he had any fur. It seems like the big rat man -- Timmothy, that was his name -- may be in trouble. Some guide Toric is proving to be, wandering off after some curious sound or another when he was meant to be keeping his new friend away from such problems as the one he faces now. Perhaps he can still be of some help, at least. He ought to slip around through the foliage to the side and get himself into a better position to help Timmothy out should things turn ugly. Carefully, though; surely they won't take kindly to someone else sneaking around them if he's seen.

(Stealth Check: 1d20+2 = 14)

Fallen leaves crunch lightly underfoot, and those still attached to plants rustle gently as he passes. It's quiet enough that the average person wouldn't notice amongst the other natural ambience of the forest, but maybe not enough that a particularly perceptive person wouldn't take notice.

Last edited:
  • Maythread Undergold
    Lvl 1 Celestial Warlock

I was entertaining myself by playing with my feet, swaying them right to left and back and forth, when the cart came to a halt. I peeked out of the cart for a quick glance at the setting Sun's position through my sextant. I nodded to myself and wrapped it back up, as there really wasn't any reason to note it down or pay much attention to the results. The sign was right there, so I only did it because I felt like it. Well, that and because every person in this journey was so stingy when it came to questions. They never seemed to answer anything straight, when they did at all. "Hey hey, what's the tiny dragon all about?", "Why do you have horns?", "What happened to your eye?"... Even such tiny questions would just get me vague answers and occasional weird looks. I almost felt like I was doing something wrong for a while, but I'm pretty sure they would open up soon. Like that little birdie back in the day that used to come help me skip the peas.

As they pointed to me requesting I light a fire, I immediately attempted to scramble out of the cart, carefully moving out of the way of any of the stuff it carried and attempting not to lean too heavily on anything, albeit this only made it easier for me to stumble and almost fall off. Almost. As I finally managed to get to the ground and on back my feet, I saluted with a hand over the visor:

"Will do mister! Any particular spot you'd prefer?" The glowing circles I had for eyes turned into a pair of upside-down crescents, denoting a bright smile. After being pointed to where I ought to place the fire, my eyes returned to their original shape as always. I got to work, returning to the back of the cart, and passed by one of the people we'd been travelling with, a half-elf lady dressed in similar leather to her companion's. Now, I was pretty sure the fire I made was magical, so it didn't need wood to burn- but it was nice to have something that was still hot and burning after the fire ended, instead of me having to maintain an upkeep of it. And if I was gonna take something to burn, I really ought to ask. Those were the rules after all. I tugged on her leather. "May I take some of the firewood?"

Thankfully I got my permission, and attempted to get the firewood from the cart. That said, it was easier said than done. I was trying to avoid having to climb back into the cart itself, but my arms were not quite reaching the supplies. I persisted, continuing to make small leaps in place, but never quite making it to even touching the prize, let alone pulling it out. That's when the half-elf lady from before came to me and gave me a friendly smile, then pulled out the firewood for me.

"Thank you lady." I said. I then headed near where they were starting to leave the food and make preparations. I sure hoped the chef wasn't mad about the wait or anything. I picked up some rocks from near the road after putting down the bit of firewood, and made that circle thing I heard about from my dad: Wood in the middle, and make a ring around it. Then I raised my hand in the direction of the firewood, and 'felt' (I didn't really feel it per say, it's more like I was somehow aware of it) my palm open revealing what seemed to be a small tube within.

"Let's get crackling." I giggled a bit to myself. Magic lit up the tube in these small, glowing patterns, and flames poured out onto the firewood. After the deed was done, my palm closed back again, and I turned to the chef, 'smiling' again. "It's done! What will you be having for dinner?"

Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Hit Points: 10 / 10
    Hit Dice: 1d8
    Armor Class: 12
    Initiative: 0
    Speed: 30 ft
    Passive Perception: 8
    Spellcasting Ability: Cha
    Spellsave DC: 14
    Spell Attack Bonus: +6

Healing Dice: 2d6s Left

Spells
Cantrips: (2)
*Create Bonfire
*Prestidigitation
*Light
*Sacred Flame

First Level: (2)
*Guiding Bolt
*Healing Word

Items
Equipped:
*Copper Plates (Reflavored Leather) (-10 GP)
*Arcane Focus - Crystal (-10 GP) [The Core Inside of Her]
*Sack x3 (-3 CP)
*Spear (-1 GP)

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
14 SP
23 CP

Carrying:
*Miner's Pick (-2 GP)
*Pole (10 ft) (-5 CP)
*Bloodied Crowbar (-2 GP)
*Rope (Hemp - 50 ft) x2 (-2 GP)
*Chalk x4 (-4 CP)
*Piton x5 (-25 CP)
*Shovel (-2 GP)
*Light Hammer (-2 GP)
*Spear x2 (-2 GP)
*Shield (-10 GP)
*Navigator's Tools (-25 GP)
*Healer's Kit (-5 GP)

Skills
Saving Throws:
Strength: +2
Dexterity: 0
Constitution: +2
Intelligence: +2
Wisdom: 0
Charisma: +6

Skills:
Acrobatics: 0
Animal Handling: -2
Arcana: +4
Athletics: +4
Deception: +4
History: +2
Insight: -2
Intimidation: +4
Investigation: +4
Medicine: 0
Nature: +2
Perception: -2
Performance: +4
Persuasion: +6
Religion: +2
Sleight of Hand: 0
Stealth: 0
Survival: -2

Passives

Constructed Resilience- You were created to have remarkable fortitude, represented by the following benefits:
-You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.
-You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe.
-You are immune to disease.
-You don't need to sleep, and magic can't put you to sleep.

Sentry's Rest- When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Integrated Protection- Your body has built-in defensive layers, which can be enhanced with armor.
You gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
You can don only armor with which you have proficiency. To don armor, you must incorporate it into your body over the course of 1 hour, during which you must remain in contact with the armor. To doff armor, you must spend 1 hour removing it. You can rest while donning or doffing armor in this way.
While you live, your armor can't be removed from your body against your will.

Healing Light- At 1st level, you gain the ability to channel Celestial arcane energy to heal wounds. You have a pool of d6s that you spend to fuel this healing. The number of dice in the pool equals 1 + your warlock level.

As a bonus action, you can heal one creature you can see within 60 feet of you, spending dice from the pool. The maximum number of dice you can spend at once equals your Charisma modifier (minimum of one die). Roll the dice you spend, add them together, and restore a number of hit points equal to the total.

Your pool regains all expended dice when you finish a long rest.

Child at Heart- Though you may have attained knowledge through working with another in their craft, you have not dedicated your life to it yet, and still have the spirit of youth within you. Your demeanor help you come off more friendly, joyful and harmless on a first impression, and the young in age or in heart in particular seem to easily take a liking to you.

OOC Actions
-Maythread cast the cantrip "Create Bonfire"

Tags
Interacting With: Ellya Ellya (Half-Elf, Whoever's Cooking)

Mentions: Ellya Ellya (a bunch of others), Dethrix Dethrix

Might Also Want To Read: N/A

836c2f1896e08f96ea2e9b490be8ae86.jpg Athaclenna is not normally a person to get involved in the comings and goings of the rest of the town, but since it is almost a requirement for the residents of the town to go to the square for the feast and Lady Velrosa's speech, the high elf sets aside her book with a slight sigh of disappointment. She was just getting to one of the good parts of the story, but now there is this celebration that takes her away from her book. Ah, well. I've read that book many times before, and it will be waiting for me after I dine and hear what Lady Velrosa has to say this day.

Athaclenna stands up with a big stretch, feeling her back crack and pop as she does so. With one more forlorn look at her novel, she grabs for a cloak to wrap around her shoulders and heads for the door.
Level: 1
Class: Wizard
Hit Points: 7
Hit Dice: 1d6

Armor Class: 13, 16 with Mage Armor active
Initiative: +3
Passive Perception: 13

Prepared Spells:
Mage Armor
Magic Missile

Last edited:

• circle-cropped.png

Ehlark Umenorin
    Race: Wood Half-Elf
    Class: Ranger (1)
    HP: 12
    AC: 15
    Passives:
    • Perception/WIS: 12
    • Investigation/INT: 13
    • Insight/WIS: 12
    Longbow: +6, 1d8+4 Piercing
    Shortsword: +6, 1d6+4 Piercing

Throughout their journey, Ehlark had spoken little to those around him. There hadn’t been a need, just dutiful silence for the most part. Between the other warriors and himself, there seemed to be a begrudging understanding, as often stood between those in their line of work. The Half-Elf was more than capable of pulling his weight, and that seemed to have been enough for now. It was better than marching down the High Road alone, his years of traversing such trade routes had taught him the dangers of solitude in such instances.

As they neared the crossroads, Ehlark looked up from his rear-facing seat on the cart to acknowledge his surroundings. He’d been busying himself by knuckling a set of dice between his fingers, idly training the dexterity of his digits. The ranger recognized the natural landmarks before the inane nobleman piped up with a statement regarding the sign. With a smirk of amusement, he gave a knowing look to one of their nearby traveling companions as Xolkin gave a satirical response which was followed up with a proclamation.

Quickly, the rest of his company fell into making camp nearby and Ehlark got up to join the scouting party. He felt a bit of unease about this final stop, half-expecting to be backstabbed after making it so close to his destination. Especially since the leader was notably separating both himself and the automaton into separate parties. He’d noticed a strange interest the man had possessed in the bubbly construct. Nevertheless, he moved out to survey the road beyond a hill close to their camps’ general location.

His path brought results, as it took only mere moments of scouting to hear commotion up the road. Actively working to blend into the nearby foliage, while staying low enough to use the slope of the hill to his advantage, Ehlark watched the scene unfold. Truthfully it was nothing spectacular or even worrisome, just two figures seemingly finishing business. The larger individual presented more of a threat between the two, though any concern of that was nullified quickly, as he appeared to abandon his petite traveling companion. While not very gentleman-like, it wasn’t outlandish to comprehend what had occurred.

Ehlark continued to observe as the man started his trek back down the road. Though this all could have been an act, the Half-Elf was close enough to the other mercenaries that a loud shout would alert them to any potential danger. With that in mind, he stood and moved forward to approach the woman that had been left, his intentions being to offer a helping hand. If nothing else, he could at least provide some degree of direction.
Throughout their journey, Ehlark had spoken little to those around him. There hadn’t been a need, just dutiful silence for the most part. Between the other warriors and himself, there seemed to be a begrudging understanding, as often stood between those in their line of work. The Half-Elf was more than capable of pulling his weight, and that seemed to have been enough for now. It was better than marching down the High Road alone, his years of traversing such trade routes had taught him the dangers of solitude in such instances.

As they neared the crossroads, Ehlark looked up from his rear-facing seat on the cart to acknowledge his surroundings. He’d been busying himself by knuckling a set of dice between his fingers, idly training the dexterity of his digits. The ranger recognized the natural landmarks before the inane nobleman piped up with a statement regarding the sign. With a smirk of amusement, he gave a knowing look to one of their nearby traveling companions as Xolkin gave a satirical response which was followed up with a proclamation.

Quickly, the rest of his company fell into making camp nearby and Ehlark got up to join the scouting party. He felt a bit of unease about this final stop, half-expecting to be backstabbed after making it so close to his destination. Especially since the leader was notably separating both himself and the automaton into separate parties. He’d noticed a strange interest the man had possessed in the bubbly construct. Nevertheless, he moved out to survey the road beyond a hill close to their camps’ general location.

His path brought results, as it took only mere moments of scouting to hear commotion up the road. Actively working to blend into the nearby foliage, while staying low enough to use the slope of the hill to his advantage, Ehlark watched the scene unfold. Truthfully it was nothing spectacular or even worrisome, just two figures seemingly finishing business. The larger individual presented more of a threat between the two, though any concern of that was nullified quickly, as he appeared to abandon his petite traveling companion. While not very gentleman-like, it wasn’t outlandish to comprehend what had occurred.

Ehlark continued to observe as the man started his trek back down the road. Though this all could have been an act, the Half-Elf was close enough to the other mercenaries that a loud shout would alert them to any potential danger. With that in mind, he stood and moved forward to approach the woman that had been left, his intentions being to offer a helping hand. If nothing else, he could at least provide some degree of direction.

Ellya Ellya Idea Idea TeikiFox TeikiFox

Last edited:
Sasha.jpg Sasha Delmar was quite looking forward to the great feast and party that was coming up in the town square. So many opportunities to pick pockets and make a bit of money. Why work at some boring job when you can let other people do the hard work for you, and you just benefit from it? She smiles to herself at the thought.

She slips her robe over her shoulders to keep the sight of her armor from raising any suspicions; the world can be a dangerous place for a girl, after all. No sense in trying to tempt fate and not protect herself, right? Once she has her things all tucked away nice and neat, Sasha goes for the door of her small apartment and heads for the square, keeping her eyes wide open for opportunities to make a few coins.
Hit Points: 10

Armor Class: 15
Initiative: +4
Passive Perception: 15

Armor and Weapons
Rapier
+6, 1d8+4 Piercing, Martial, Finesse

Shortbow
+6, 1d6+4 Piercing, Simple, Ammunition, Range 80ft/320ft, Two-Handed

Leather Armor +1 AC

At first, Esvele had tried to start a conversation. From what she could tell, it would be a bit of a long journey and the silence might prove to be uncomfortable. The cleric was quick to take the hint- she hadn't paid for conversation. Just for protection on the High Road- it made her wonder how dangerous this all could be. They hadn't seem to encounter anything much, although that might have been because it was two people rather than one. The thoughts made her miss the towers of knowledge that was her home, how easily she could find an answer and so much more while pouring over the words of so many.

This being her first trip, of course the others back home were scared for her. It wasn't that she wouldn't understand what was going on, but rather that she wouldn't know what to do or how to protect herself. They had all seem her mace skills- practically nonexistent. At least she had a better chance with a bow. It was a good thing that Esvele had more confidence in herself than the others did in Esvele. Eventually they'd figure out who had been right.

"Ah- very well. Thank you!" Her hand would pat the side of the beautiful horse, shifting her weight to drop down onto the road. A quick moment would be taken to make sure she hadn't left anything behind somehow, before stepping away from the mercenary and his horses. To say he wasn't following the agreement would be a lie, so while it seemed like a strange thing to do, there wasn't any reason to be upset or angry. Her expression would remain passive, a small nod as he left.

"Would've been nice to learn that lesson a little earlier." But at least she had learned it now rather than when her words meant something more. A moment would be taken to breathe, glance around, adjust to her new environment. Asides from the sign, there didn't seem to be anything significant about this drop-off place.

"Best to use as much daylight as I can, at least I'll be closer to Nightstone." Whether that truly made sense didn't entirely matter, as the words were more a motivation to continue as the sign directed. Silver eyes would glance over as she noticed movement, a person seemingly appearing out of nowhere. It all the more proved that she needed to focus on the environment around her, stepping towards the other with some degree of uncertainty.

"I've heard it's dangerous to be alone in these parts. Where are you headed?"

Esvele1.jpg
Esvele
Kalashtar Cleric 1​
  • HP: 8/8
    AC: 13
    Strength: -2
    Dexterity: +2
    Constitution: 0
    Intelligence: +1
    Wisdom: +5
    Charisma: +2
    Passive Percep: 15

Interactions: Dethrix Dethrix (hope I understood correctly)

Last edited:
View attachment 842985 Athaclenna is not normally a person to get involved in the comings and goings of the rest of the town, but since it is almost a requirement for the residents of the town to go to the square for the feast and Lady Velrosa's speech, the high elf sets aside her book with a slight sigh of disappointment. She was just getting to one of the good parts of the story, but now there is this celebration that takes her away from her book. Ah, well. I've read that book many times before, and it will be waiting for me after I dine and hear what Lady Velrosa has to say this day.

Athaclenna stands up with a big stretch, feeling her back crack and pop as she does so. With one more forlorn look at her novel, she grabs for a cloak to wrap around her shoulders and heads for the door.
Class: Wizard

Prepared Spells:
Mage Armor
Magic Missile

The moment you step outside, various noises from the already gathering and feasting crowd can be heard. It is quite a commotion, especially for the relatively low population here. Walking up to the square you notice that the drawbridge to the west is being raised, entirely cutting off any access to the town. Even the guards had a day off today, as Lady Velrosa had decreed. You've lived here long enough to have seen that day one year ago, and the moments that had led up to it. A long lasting war with the wood elves from Ardeep forest came a tragic climax as the former ruler of Nightstone, Lord Drezlin, was shot down by arrows, inciting his widowed wife to finally arrange a peace.

The mountain dwarf known as Morak, the local innkeep, is currently holding a large glass pitcher of ale in one hand, and wine in the other. He keeps the same warm smile on his face as he laughs loudly, until he turns his head and is the first to see you approach. "Oi! Look lads, guess we know who had to fuckin' die for her to pull her nose out of 'er books, yeah? Hahahaha!" The crowd sitting at the table near him gives a general chuckle that's barely noticeable under Morak's roaring laughter, most of the heads turning to see Velrosa's reaction to the rather tasteless joke. She didn't seem too bothered, even smirking a bit.

"Ahh come on lass, plenty o' room! Grab yerself a seat!" The dwarf gestures toward an empty bit of space between the elderly human you know as Melantha Xelbrin and the eldest son of the halfling Summerhawk family. The latter turns his head and seems to shamelessly gawk at you expectantly, barely managing a shy smile under his reddening cheeks.

View attachment 842987 Sasha Delmar was quite looking forward to the great feast and party that was coming up in the town square. So many opportunities to pick pockets and make a bit of money. Why work at some boring job when you can let other people do the hard work for you, and you just benefit from it? She smiles to herself at the thought.

She slips her robe over her shoulders to keep the sight of her armor from raising any suspicions; the world can be a dangerous place for a girl, after all. No sense in trying to tempt fate and not protect herself, right? Once she has her things all tucked away nice and neat, Sasha goes for the door of her small apartment and heads for the square, keeping her eyes wide open for opportunities to make a few coins.
Hit Points: 10

Armor Class: 15
Initiative: +4
Passive Perception: 15

Armor and Weapons
Rapier
+6, 1d8+4 Piercing, Martial, Finesse

Shortbow
+6, 1d6+4 Piercing, Simple, Ammunition, Range 80ft/320ft, Two-Handed

Leather Armor +1 AC

As you make your way toward the town square where, judging from the extreme amount of noise, the festivities are happening, you don't seem to run into too many people to make some coin off of. At this point, you have definitely stolen at least some amount of value from each of the town's denizens in some way or another, and you take some pride in the fact that you never got caught. In the end, no one in Nightstone seemed to be particularly poor, and if no one reported your crimes, you could only guess that they didn't exactly miss their coin.

Nevertheless, as soon as the town square comes into view, you see an absolute gold mine. It doesn't happen often that every single person in town was so close together, and you just know that there were a few pockets here ripe for the picking, and no one would probably even notice.

There is a total of seven tables arranged in a rectangular pattern to the western side of the large chunk of obsidian in the middle of the square. Built up against this famed nightstone was a small wooden stage, and Lady Velrosa's table on top of that. She was just coming to sit down and look over the crowd, her eye falling on you as she gives a meaningful smile. Most of the crowd was sitting down by now, usually with a family per table, sometimes more, but it looked like about ten of them were still buzzing around those that were seated, either cleaning or serving or still finding their spot.

• Maythread Undergold
    Lvl 1 Celestial Warlock

I was entertaining myself by playing with my feet, swaying them right to left and back and forth, when the cart came to a halt. I peeked out of the cart for a quick glance at the setting Sun's position through my sextant. I nodded to myself and wrapped it back up, as there really wasn't any reason to note it down or pay much attention to the results. The sign was right there, so I only did it because I felt like it. Well, that and because every person in this journey was so stingy when it came to questions. They never seemed to answer anything straight, when they did at all. "Hey hey, what's the tiny dragon all about?", "Why do you have horns?", "What happened to your eye?"... Even such tiny questions would just get me vague answers and occasional weird looks. I almost felt like I was doing something wrong for a while, but I'm pretty sure they would open up soon. Like that little birdie back in the day that used to come help me skip the peas.

As they pointed to me requesting I light a fire, I immediately attempted to scramble out of the cart, carefully moving out of the way of any of the stuff it carried and attempting not to lean too heavily on anything, albeit this only made it easier for me to stumble and almost fall off. Almost. As I finally managed to get to the ground and on back my feet, I saluted with a hand over the visor:

"Will do mister! Any particular spot you'd prefer?" The glowing circles I had for eyes turned into a pair of upside-down crescents, denoting a bright smile. After being pointed to where I ought to place the fire, my eyes returned to their original shape as always. I got to work, returning to the back of the cart, and passed by one of the people we'd been travelling with, a half-elf lady dressed in similar leather to her companion's. Now, I was pretty sure the fire I made was magical, so it didn't need wood to burn- but it was nice to have something that was still hot and burning after the fire ended, instead of me having to maintain an upkeep of it. And if I was gonna take something to burn, I really ought to ask. Those were the rules after all. I tugged on her leather. "May I take some of the firewood?"

Thankfully I got my permission, and attempted to get the firewood from the cart. That said, it was easier said than done. I was trying to avoid having to climb back into the cart itself, but my arms were not quite reaching the supplies. I persisted, continuing to make small leaps in place, but never quite making it to even touching the prize, let alone pulling it out. That's when the half-elf lady from before came to me and gave me a friendly smile, then pulled out the firewood for me.

"Thank you lady." I said. I then headed near where they were starting to leave the food and make preparations. I sure hoped the chef wasn't mad about the wait or anything. I picked up some rocks from near the road after putting down the bit of firewood, and made that circle thing I heard about from my dad: Wood in the middle, and make a ring around it. Then I raised my hand in the direction of the firewood, and 'felt' (I didn't really feel it per say, it's more like I was somehow aware of it) my palm open revealing what seemed to be a small tube within.

"Let's get crackling." I giggled a bit to myself. Magic lit up the tube in these small, glowing patterns, and flames poured out onto the firewood. After the deed was done, my palm closed back again, and I turned to the chef, 'smiling' again. "It's done! What will you be having for dinner?"

Spells
*Create Bonfire
*Prestidigitation
*Light
*Sacred Flame

*Guiding Bolt
*Healing Word

Items
Equipped:
*Sack x3 (-3 CP)
*Spear (-1 GP)

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
14 SP
23 CP

Carrying:
*Miner's Pick (-2 GP)
*Pole (10 ft) (-5 CP)
*Chalk x4 (-4 CP)
*Piton x5 (-25 CP)
*Shovel (-2 GP)
*Light Hammer (-2 GP)
*Spear x2 (-2 GP)
*Shield (-10 GP)
*Healer's Kit (-5 GP)

Skills
Saving Throws:

Skills:

Passives

Constructed Resilience- You were created to have remarkable fortitude, represented by the following benefits:
-You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.

Sentry's Rest- When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Integrated Protection- Your body has built-in defensive layers, which can be enhanced with armor.
You can don only armor with which you have proficiency. To don armor, you must incorporate it into your body over the course of 1 hour, during which you must remain in contact with the armor. To doff armor, you must spend 1 hour removing it. You can rest while donning or doffing armor in this way.

Healing Light- At 1st level, you gain the ability to channel Celestial arcane energy to heal wounds. You have a pool of d6s that you spend to fuel this healing. The number of dice in the pool equals 1 + your warlock level.

As a bonus action, you can heal one creature you can see within 60 feet of you, spending dice from the pool. The maximum number of dice you can spend at once equals your Charisma modifier (minimum of one die). Roll the dice you spend, add them together, and restore a number of hit points equal to the total.

Child at Heart- Though you may have attained knowledge through working with another in their craft, you have not dedicated your life to it yet, and still have the spirit of youth within you. Your demeanor help you come off more friendly, joyful and harmless on a first impression, and the young in age or in heart in particular seem to easily take a liking to you.

OOC Actions
-Maythread cast the cantrip "Create Bonfire"

Tags
Interacting With: Ellya Ellya (Half-Elf, Whoever's Cooking)

Mentions: Ellya Ellya (a bunch of others), Dethrix Dethrix

The three friends that are still nearby to see you perform your firemaking skill, each seem enthralled by the mechanics. The tiefling male glances over at Xolkin and gives a nod and a smirk, to which Xolkin himself responds with a quick wink. As soon as the fire is produced, Xolkin's pet flying snake flutters away from him and lands in the grass, slithering up to the fire at a comfortably warm distance before curling up a bit and closing its eyes.

"Well..." the human female offers the same warm smile, her voice sounding soft and pleasant despite the numerous scars of various sizes in her face. "Being so close to our goal, I'd say a bit of a celebration is in order, yes?" She turns her head to Xolkin, who gives a quick nod of permission, after which the human lady makes her way back to the cart, cheerfully calling out "Chicken it is!"

"Ahah!"
The posh voice of the plump nobleman known as Hommett calls out from a distance behind the cart. "Chicken sounds absolutely wonderful! A true delight! I shall join you momentarily!"

At this point, you watch as Xolkin gets up and hushes the rest of you, furrowing his brow a bit in concentration. The human and tiefling fall immediately silent, and the soft crackling of the fire is all that remains for a second. Then, you hear a pair of distant voices, just beyond the hill that Ehlark was to explore, but he has vanished behind it. Xolkin gives a quick gesture you don't recognize to his two friends with his arm, but they seem to realize immediately what he means. The both of them quietly grab and draw their weapons and start making their way to the hill. The human female gives you one more glance, pointing her finger toward you, then toward the ground, then holding it in front of her lips before continuing toward the hill slowly.

• Maythread Undergold
    Lvl 1 Celestial Warlock

I observed the little limbless dragon slithering past me and near the fire. The way it nested up near the rocks was just so cute, I wanted to pet it! I didn't think I would permission for that though. It might get angry either way.

"Oho? Chicken? That does sound delicious, I quite agree." Not that I could eat it, but it was nonetheless interesting to note they saved chickens for a celebration at the end of the journey. Normally people celebrated after reaching their goals, but perhaps this was sort of a treat before the final push? With my curiosity momentarily satisfied, I walked up to the little dragon and whispered: "Be careful, don't stay too close to the fire! You might get burnt!"

I smiled as I did, having often been advised about that myself, it felt nice sharing that advice with others. Perhaps that is how my parents felt as well back then? Then the elf mister hushed at us. Then he made some gestures, and everyone started drawing out their weapons. Meanwhile, I had left my spears back in the cart, and only had my hammer on me (as far as weapons went anyway. Spears were just a little too big to leap out of a carriage with, and if they fell down they might get burned on the fire I started!). I looked back and forth to the group and to the cart, until the human lady pointed at me and then at the ground, and then hushed me again like she didn't notice the other guy doing it first. Did she think I only wouldn't be able to be quiet? Hmph! I could follow instructions, thank you very much! But uh....those gestures she made...

Now, they obviously meant something. Something indeed. Something, but I wasn't sure what. Did she want me to get down? Duck from something? But they all seemed to be going right to it... Did she want me to sit? If everyone was drawing weapons, was I just supposed to sit and watch the fire? I looked down to the crackling little flames, and then to the little dragon next to them.

OOOH! That's what she meant! She wanted me to look after it!

Well, of course I would. I guess maybe she thought of me as more dependable than I realized.

Humming a little to myself, I approached the dragon thing and sat next to it, keeping my gaze partially on the flames and partially looking around to make sure nothing suspicious was coming.

Spells
*Create Bonfire
*Prestidigitation
*Light
*Sacred Flame

*Guiding Bolt
*Healing Word

Items
Equipped:
*Sack x3 (-3 CP)
*Spear (-1 GP)

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
14 SP
23 CP

Carrying:
*Miner's Pick (-2 GP)
*Pole (10 ft) (-5 CP)
*Chalk x4 (-4 CP)
*Piton x5 (-25 CP)
*Shovel (-2 GP)
*Light Hammer (-2 GP)
*Spear x2 (-2 GP)
*Shield (-10 GP)
*Healer's Kit (-5 GP)

Skills
Saving Throws:

Skills:

Passives

OOC Actions
N/A

Tags
Interacting With: Ellya Ellya

Mentions: Ellya Ellya

• circle-cropped.png

Ehlark Umenorin
    Passives:

Ehlark gave a nod towards the fair-haired woman, and put his hands out casually to display he meant no harm before dropping them back at his side.

“Dangerous is one way of puttin’ it. The High Road seems quiet, but there’s more threats lurkin’ around then ya’ would expect.” The mercenary noted, before gesturing towards the bulky guard that had just left her.

“It’s bad ta’ be alone out here. And since ya’ originally had security, I think ya’ know that. Me and a crew up ahead have settled down just over the hill. We plan on headin’ ta' Nighstone, just about ten miles out.” He explained as he cocked his head back towards the trail he’d only moments before descended from.

“If ya’ lookin’ to head in that direction, I suggest ya’ join us for a fee. If there’s any useful skills ya’ got, that might lessen the cost. If ya’ wanna go it alone, then ya’ best scramble.” Ehlark offered finally, though his hospitality had a beguiling edge to it. Having worked in the trade of services for over a decade at this point, he knew how to sell the prospect of protection.
Ehlark gave a nod towards the fair-haired woman, and put his hands out casually to display he meant no harm before dropping them back at his side.

Dangerous is one way of puttin’ it. The High Road seems quiet, but there’s more threats lurkin’ around then ya’ would expect." The mercenary noted, before gesturing towards the bulky guard that had just left her.

It’s bad ta’ be alone out here. And since ya’ originally had security, I think ya’ know that. Me and a crew up ahead have settled down just over the hill. We plan on headin’ ta' Nighstone, just about ten miles out.” He explained as he cocked his head back towards the trail he’d only moments before descended from.

If ya’ lookin’ to head in that direction, I suggest ya’ join us for a fee. If there are any useful skills ya’ got, that might lessen the cost. If ya’ wanna go it alone, then ya’ best scramble.” Ehlark offered finally, though his hospitality had a beguiling edge to it. Having worked in the trade of services for over a decade at this point, he knew how to sell the prospect of protection.

Mentions Ellya Ellya TeikiFox TeikiFox

Last edited:

It seemed her comment was taken well enough, not immediately getting attacked seemed like a good sign. Of course, things could always take a turn for the worse, but it was nicer to think about the positive and the current situation at hand. Her head would bob, agreeing with his words. Esvele knew the danger of the High Road, but not the extent. The mentions of a crew made far more sense- explaining why being alone was bad while being alone didn't make sense. However, a crew suggested more than one other person, a fact she was happy, yet hesitant about.

Her understanding was that it was easier to win when the sides were relatively equal in number (skill was another matter, but she suspected that factor would only worsen her odds at the current moment). Silver eyes glanced around besides the man to see if she'd spot any of this crew that had been spoken of.

"That's fortunate- I don't know how long you were around," he had just sort of appeared after all, "but I was planning to go to Nightstone, as well. I wanted to research the glyphs on the obsidian..." She'd pause for a moment, seeming a little lost in her thoughts before returning to the conversation at hand. A fee- that sounded reasonable enough. It would be nice if she managed to keep most of her current gold pieces, although it seemed possible to spare a few for a continued safe travel.

"A group certainly sounds safer. What skills would be of value, though? I don't know how much your crew would be interested in a spellcaster or linguist." Esvele would pause once more to mull over the word 'linguist'. Could she truly call herself one? She supposed it depended on the language and what were the qualifications of such a title. That could be figured out later when her travel arrangements weren't so up in the air.

"Quite frankly, I would like to have the protection of a group but it depends on what is considered valuable and what the price is. I would be happy to assist in what ways I can." It seemed a nice enough way of putting that she had no clue, while hoping not to overpay. Considering her minimal experience with travelling fees, it seemed as though overpaying was bound to occur at some point in time. The cleric just hoped it would be sometime when she had a little more to spare.

Esvele1.jpg

Esvele
Kalashtar Cleric 1​

Interactions: Dethrix Dethrix

Perception Check? (+5); Total: 8 (nevermind then..)

• circle-cropped.png

Ehlark Umenorin
    Passives:

As she glanced behind him, Ehlark turned his face in the direction of her gaze so that he could scan the area with his limited vision. Though, after a moment he retrained his solitary sight back on the woman as she began to speak. He watched her carefully, regarding her words and movements in order to glean what he could. A ranger of his caliber was able to ascertain a lot about an individual simply through the most mundane of actions. After all, he specialized in hunting down humanoids more than any other quarry. People were far more predictable than beasts or monstrosities.

As she talked of the stone, the Half-Elf raised a lone eyebrow in slight surprise. Of course, he was aware of what such a historical mystery was, but he wouldn’t have initially taken the woman before him to be the mystical type. Though through appearance alone, there seemed to be something slightly otherworldly about her. Originally he’d written her off as another noble, being skiffed by a greedy sword-for-hire. However, an arcane scholar far exceeded his expectations, which reminded him not to judge through appearance alone.

“Right, the weird rock in town? Even better ta’ have the same destination.” He replied after he’d taken everything she said into account. The Half-Elf paused as he considered her apparent spellcasting abilities, recollecting that the little automaton back on camp had some connection with the mysticisms of their world as well. Much like Xolkin, Ehlark saw a great deal of worth in the manipulative power that magic possessed. Those that utilized it, brought entirely different skillsets to the forefront, a notion that mercenaries especially would take advantage of.

“The crew is not mine, and it’d do ya’ well not ta’ inform them of the magic either. Instead a’ gold, ya’ oughta’ pay me in mutual service. If I need ya’ to cast somethin’, don’t ask and just do it. For that, I’ll take care of everythin’ else.” He decided aptly, as he thought back on the unease he still retained for their traveling companions. The men they were traveling with had been as kind as mercenaries would be, but they still outnumbered those riding alongside them considerably. Having an ace up his sleeve might settle the doubts if nothing else, as perhaps nothing would come of his suspicions after all.

“That bein’ said, ya’ can call me Lark Norin. I’m a friend of the family, and I just saw your hired-help gyp ya’, got it?” The ranger concluded with both an introduction and a light cover story for their interaction. If nothing else, he didn’t want the others to cut in on his profits (even if they weren’t monetary) or grow suspicious of his activities. With such thoughts, his elven ears twitched with a small realization. While had hadn't seen anything strange upon the hill with his first glance, he could no longer hear those beyond it either. He pursed his lips at the thought, turning himself back towards the high distance.

"They've gone quiet." The mercenary noted, his tone even as he spoke on his observation. Their business was almost done here in any regards, if she agreed to his terms at least. Either way, it wasn't worth panicking over, after all the camp's concern likely would have been for his wellbeing if nothing else.
As she glanced behind him, Ehlark turned his face in the direction of her gaze so that he could scan the area with his limited vision. Though, after a moment he retrained his solitary sight back on the woman as she began to speak. He watched her carefully, regarding her words and movements in order to glean what he could. A ranger of his caliber was able to ascertain a lot about an individual simply through the most mundane of actions. After all, he specialized in hunting down humanoids more than any other quarry. People were far more predictable than beasts or monstrosities.

As she talked of the stone, the Half-Elf raised a lone eyebrow in slight surprise. Of course, he was aware of what such a historical mystery was, but he wouldn’t have initially taken the woman before him to be the mystical type. Though through appearance alone, there seemed to be something slightly otherworldly about her. Originally he’d written her off as another noble, being skiffed by a greedy sword-for-hire. However, an arcane scholar far exceeded his expectations, which reminded him not to judge through appearance alone.

Right, the weird rock in town? Even better ta’ have the same destination.” He replied, after he’d taken everything she said into account. The Half-Elf paused as he considered her apparent spellcasting abilities, recollecting that the little automaton back on camp had some connection with the mysticisms of their world as well. Much like Xolkin, Ehlark saw a great deal of worth in the manipulative power that magic possessed. Those that utilized it, brought entirely different skillsets to the forefront, a notion that mercenaries especially would take advantage of.

The crew is not mine, and it’d do ya’ well not ta’ inform them of the magic either. Instead a’ gold, ya’ oughta’ pay me in mutual service. If I need ya’ to cast somethin’, don’t ask and just do it. For that, I’ll take care of everythin’ else.” He decided aptly, as he thought back on the unease he still retained for their traveling companions. The men they were traveling with had been as kind as mercenaries would be, but they still outnumbered those riding alongside them considerably. Having an ace up his sleeve might settle the doubts if nothing else, as perhaps nothing would come of his suspicions after all.

That bein’ said, ya’ can call me Lark Norin. I’m a friend of the family, and I just saw your hired-help gyp ya’, got it?” The ranger concluded with both an introduction and a light cover story for their interaction. If nothing else, he didn’t want the others to cut in on his profits (even if they weren’t monetary) or grow suspicious of his activities. With such thoughts, his elven ears twitched with a small realization. While had hadn't seen anything strange upon the hill with his first glance, he could no longer hear those beyond it either. He pursed his lips at the thought, turning himself back towards the high distance.

"They've gone quiet." The mercenary noted, his tone even as he spoke on his observation. Their business was almost done here in any regards, if she agreed to his terms at least. Either way, it wasn't worth panicking over, after all the camp's concern likely would have been for his wellbeing if nothing else.

Updates
Interactions: TeikiFox TeikiFox
Mentions: Ellya Ellya
Rolls: Perception (17 + 2 = 19)

Last edited:
Attributes
Str: 10
Dex: 20 / +5
Con: 12 / +1
Int: 13 / +1
Wis: 14 / +2
Cha: 8 / -1

Class: Alchemist
Hit Points: 9

Armor Class: 16
Initiative: +5
Passive Perception: 14
456387FF-9E12-42B3-8F0A-55477B4DDA0A.jpeg
Timmothy Wahnabe.Jr

Log 1.... Begin:

Ah... the great outdoors... such a wide and vast landscape... with varying creatures and environments that makes any adventure into a new land a great and mysterious one... figuring out on how the land works, what things are dangerous and what are helpful to one’s cause... and well, to be honest.... he wasn’t sure what to expect anymore upon the very road he treks. But still, his adventure had been a rather interesting one, especially of the individual he had encountered with after leaving the last town he went to.... although still slightly bothered on how they treated a sentient humanoid with fur and a tail.... but hey, he was but a wandering scholar, what can he do other than accept the insults thrown his way and defend his innocence? Continuing on, he was following the ‘Dessarin River’ as the map called it, he had made considerable distance when routinely moving and stopping for each day... as well as trying to ration his dwindling supplies, but on a particular shortcut through the forest... he had meet a strange yet friendly Wood Elf by the name of ‘Toric’... and strange he was, considering he barely even knew of the outside world, much less, exited the forest at least once within his life. By goodness, Timmothy couldn’t even imagine what he would have been like if he was instead abandoned inside the forest to fend for himself instead of being given as a young pup to a caring family that had adopted him, but it seemed that Toric managed to make due and even survived out in the forest for far longer than Timmothy would have done... so a great effort upon his part.

But, it seems that the Wood-Elf actually showed interest in the outside world, and possibly wanted to go outside and learn more about the world he never had the chance to experience... and so, Timmothy took that personally, and offered aid to the Wood-Elf to learn more about civilization and the necessities required to live within one. Of course, he is not sure if Toric would enjoy the life of a civilized individual more so than his old one, considering it is far more confusing and difficult for someone of his nature and background, but he has some determination behind that thought, and Timmothy can’t just say no to a person in need of help. So, they had traveled together, with Toric helping with the lack of supplies needed and offering protection from hostiles which was returned by Timmothy giving him small lessons about the outside world and stories about himself... and right now... Timmothy had left off about the currency system, coins, and was gonna explain more about it before Toric, like usual, had left to explore a curious noise. Still, it is to be expected from Toric, not like Timmothy was gonna chastise him for it... considering Timmothy neither cared all that much about being alone for a while... and it wouldn’t make sense for a young adult of his Ratfolk species to be disciplining a far older individual than himself. Still, reflecting upon his travels once more in his alone time... Timmothy wondered if his call of leaving his home, leaving behind his only familiar family and friends just to pursue the unknown and possibly never return to see them, to focus upon his quest of ultimate knowledge and discovering the ultimate alchemist mixture that he would rather sacrifice it all than to lose even a bit of needed information.

‘no..... best to not think about that for now, considering negative thoughts often leave to rash decisions... and it is rather best to remain calm and optimistic upon my travels instead of walling in the sorrows of the past of an already made decision.’

Bringing his attention back into the physical realm... he noticed that the tree line was seemingly ending, and it was just up ahead, a few more steps until he officially exits the forest, and from what he can see at his current location, was a settlement, a walled one, but still, a settlement was a settlement, and that often meant more supplies and even quests to partake on.

And that’s when reality hit him in the face.... or... ‘nearly’ in the face within this matter, as a quick object whooshed on by his head, Timmothy quickly moving his eyes towards the flying object that almost made connection with his head, an arrow... clearly not a good sign at all, as he then turned to face the direction the arrow had been released from and was met with a rather dire situation. ‘And out of all the times for Toric to be missing... this sure to be the icing upon the cake...’ Timmothy thought to himself, as he was face with eight wood elves, some of which are already preparing to release their pull upon the string of their bows and send arrows directly at him. Definitely something an normal adventurer does not want to face, but a scholar who barely knows how to defend himself in battle from a distance? It was a near death sentence unless he can outrun them on the open fields. And what seems to be the leader, a rather angry individual in question, seems a bit ready to draw his weaponry and slay Timmothy right here and then.... not good at all, how would he be able to salvage this situation? Especially since it looks like that any action to defend himself would probably be seen as hostility to them, as evident by the ‘angry’ Elf’s words, and wouldn’t be handled well if Timmothy even as so much makes a ‘squeak’ to his ‘comrades’.

Only breathing in and out slowly, having experience with being at the opposite end of a sword, or bow in this case, for a few times, he handled it the best he could for this situation, which was to remain calm, and do not present thyself as a threat. So, with his actions planned out, and mind focused upon the matter and remaining absolutely calm and still, Timmothy then slowly raised his arms into the air, just enough not to be seen as a fanatic or hastened movement, and then getting onto his knees, making him seem less of an actual threat... not wanting to set off the Elf’s rage any time soon, and thought to himself

‘It seems that the only action I can perform now... is to calmly follow their commands, and hopefully diffuse the situation if allowed to speak.... but Toric, considering he doesn’t stray to far, could help prove my innocence here... but still, it seems that even the other tribesmen of other regions just don’t seem to trust beastfolk... heh, guess I wouldn’t trust them too if I heard bad things about them... but this is rather.... overkill within this very case for a singular Ratfolk.’

Interaction:
Ellya Ellya

Mention:
Creek Creek

The mountain dwarf known as Morak, the local innkeep, is currently holding a large glass pitcher of ale in one hand, and wine in the other. He keeps the same warm smile on his face as he laughs loudly, until he turns his head and is the first to see you approach. "Oi! Look lads, guess we know who had to fuckin' die for her to pull her nose out of 'er books, yeah? Hahahaha!" The crowd sitting at the table near him gives a general chuckle that's barely noticeable under Morak's roaring laughter, most of the heads turning to see Velrosa's reaction to the rather tasteless joke. She didn't seem too bothered, even smirking a bit.

"Ahh come on lass, plenty o' room! Grab yerself a seat!" The dwarf gestures toward an empty bit of space between the elderly human you know as Melantha Xelbrin and the eldest son of the halfling Summerhawk family. The latter turns his head and seems to shamelessly gawk at you expectantly, barely managing a shy smile under his reddening cheeks.
Athaclenna gives the noisy dwarf a sour look. "I put my books down for more than just funerals! I've been to parties before." She does her best to look disgruntled, but can't hold the scowl for long. "Well, I guess I can admit that it has been a long time since the last one . . . but I have been to them!"

Prepared Spells:
Mage Armor
Magic Missile

The weird rock in town made it seem so much less than it was- a fascinating, yet seemingly unknown glyphs, carved in a obsidian chunk that somehow ended up there. She suspected that the rock came first, the town later, so was it moved there by creatures or was it natural? More questions would come to mind, but it didn't make sense to make a big deal of the word choice. So the other had no fascination in such an artifact, that was fine. That just meant their goals were different, but the location was the same nonetheless.

The words continued to be strange, something confusing and unsettling about them. Esvele would watch him for a moment, trying to discern what intentions he might've had, or more specifically if it was malicious. But silver eyes would see nothing, shoulders relaxing a bit. Perhaps it was just a miscommunication- words were hard, sometimes- that led her to watch the half-elf with some suspicion for a time.

"A rather vague contract. I will not harm myself, and I will note that I can't cast everything. If necessary, more specifics can be figured out later." How much the cleric needed to specify was unknown, as she had some trust in this figure, but they were still strangers. Maybe specifics wouldn't need to be figured out later, but Esvele wanted the chance to change rules as needed later. A safety precaution, really. She was quick to try and make sure there wasn't anything else that should be added currently before nodding. "Assuming my notes are added, the terms sound fair." As much as the woman wanted to write this all down, time was important. Rushing these sort of things had never seemed like a good idea, but there wasn't much choice. After all, there was only so many hours in a day and only so long that she wanted to stand in the middle of the road.

"Esvele- Rein. Good to see you, Lark." If they were family friends, this wouldn't be her first time meeting him. While the words didn't generally mean much, she hoped he would see that it was her agreement to the story. Family friends seemed simple enough, not requiring much knowledge of the other. Just enough of a 'recollection' to recognize the face.

"Well then, I guess they're worried." Or preparing an ambush, but that also suggested worry that their numbers would be insufficient without surprise. Assuming everything was agreed upon, it was his turn to lead.

Esvele1.jpg

Esvele
Kalashtar Cleric 1​

Interactions: Dethrix Dethrix

Contested Check: Esvele- Insight (Total: 15) v. Ehlark- Persuasion/Deception (Total: 22)
Rolled in Other/Rolls Page

TeikiFox TeikiFox Dethrix Dethrix
There's some relief in finding out that the man, who just naturally looks quite intimidating, isn't planning to kill you right here and now. However, the mention of his group raises your heart rate slightly. It was likely that they didn't have any ill intentions either, but there was never really any way to be sure, and it was already hard enough to get a real read on the man in front of you. Just as he finishes his sentence, you notice a man with dark skin and pointed ears walking up over the hill, flanked by a red male tiefling and a human female with soft features. They all have their weapons drawn, but you notice their grips on them relax when they see you.

"Well!" The dark-skinned man chuckles. "Here I was preparing to rescue my friend here from whatever terrible danger lurked beyond the hill..." He kept a charming smile on his face, and something about it just radiated sympathy and friendliness, so much so that it almost seemed suspicious. "You two get back to camp, we've got this..." As the man's two companions retreat back down the hill, he himself descends toward you and Lark, approaching and extending a hand for you to shake.

"A pleasure to meet you, young girl, my name is Xolkin, and I lead this merry band of... adventurers. If my friend has not already explained my rules of engagement to you - I would be happy to allow you to travel alongside us to the town of Nightstone, provided that you agree to, should trouble arise, help defend us, our belongings, and of course, yourself..."

If you'd be shaking his hand, he'd only have let go of yours at this point, keeping the same smile on his face. He then turns his head to Lark. "What do you think, Lark? Does she seem capable of handling herself? Or at least worthy of joining us for a wonderful meal tonight?"

• circle-cropped.png

Ehlark Umenorin
    Passives:

His ears twitched again as he audibly heard the approach of Xolkin and a portion of the man’s allies. Before Ehlark turned to face them fully, he gave a curt nod to Esvele to finalize their dealings. Nothing more would truly need to be said regarding the topic, at least not with the others approaching.

“Always happy ta’ see ya’ Rein.” The ranger agreed, working with the name she’d shifted to in order to show his agreement. Then without another word he moved to greet Xolkin as his fellow Half-Elf came down from the elevated terrain, charismatic as always. It was that element of the man that unnerved Ehlark, though he didn’t visibly show it. There was friendly, and then there was manipulative. Which designation the Mercenary Leader fell into, was always a question, which made Ehlark all the wearier.

Nonetheless, he watched their interaction with relative ease. Allowing Xolkin to make Esvele’s acquaintance without noticeable concern, all the while nodding along with his words. When his name was brought into the conversation, he gave a slight grin and cocked his head slightly. An action that brought attention the long gash that tore from the corner of his lip, up past his ocular bandage.

“Rein,” He paused, as he gestured back towards the scholarly woman before them. Introducing her with the same alias they’d already agreed upon. As he spoke, his single forest green eye found the other man and focused on him.

“-can handle herself, despite the dainty looks. I’ve done work with her folks a’ few times, so anythin’ she needs I’ll take care of. Headin’ to Nighstone too, well deservin’ of a meal.” Ehlark finished, fabricating a story as if he was truly recounting her as a familiar face. Essentially, he was vouching for her while taking care not to expose anything of particular value.
His ears twitched again as he audibly heard the approach of Xolkin and a portion of the man’s allies. Before Ehlark turned to face them fully, he gave a curt nod to Esvele to finalize their dealings. Nothing more would truly need to be said regarding the topic, at least not with the others approaching.

Always happy ta’ see ya’ Rein.” The ranger agreed, working with the name she’d shifted to in order to show his agreement. Then without another word he moved to greet Xolkin as his fellow Half-Elf came down from the elevated terrain, charismatic as always. It was that element of the man that unnerved Ehlark, though he didn’t visibly show it. There was friendly, and then there was manipulative. Which designation the Mercenary Leader fell into, was always a question, which made Ehlark all the wearier.

Nonetheless, he watched their interaction with relative ease. Allowing Xolkin to make Esvele’s acquaintance without noticeable concern, all the while nodding along with his words. When his name was brought into the conversation, he gave a slight grin and cocked his head slightly. An action that brought attention the long gash that tore from the corner of his lip, up past his ocular bandage.

Rein,” He paused, as he gestured back towards the scholarly woman before them. Introducing her with the same alias they’d already agreed upon. As he spoke, his single forest green eye found the other man and focused on him.

-can handle herself, despite the dainty looks. I’ve done work with her folks a’ few times, so anythin’ she needs I’ll take care of. Headin’ to Nighstone too, well deservin’ of a meal.” Ehlark finished, fabricating a story as if he was truly recounting her as a familiar face. Essentially, he was vouching for her while taking care not to expose anything of particular value.

Updates Interactions: TeikiFox TeikiFox Ellya Ellya
Rolls: Deception (19 - 1 = 18)

So their agreement was sealed. The feeling was both exciting and nervous, the nervousness coming more from how quickly the agreement had occurred. Generally they took a while, to be thought over a meal or written in paper with some signatures as proof. It also led to the excitement, a secret and something new. Never before had she just lent her magic at someone else's command. Trying to ignore the strange mix of feelings, the cleric would watch for the previously silent group to join them. She hadn't expected to see three come their way, now trying to figure out how big the group was. Was that the entirety or were there more people back at their camp? From first appearances alone, she could understand a little more of Lark's position- the odds were not in the outsiders' favor. It became more apparent when the man spoke, too much of a good thing to trust. That didn't mean, however, that his feelings weren't reflected, albeit weaker, in Esvele. It had always been instinct to reciprocate some of those feelings, a smile forming as she watched.

"Not a terrible danger, fortunately, just like talking too much. Lark's still in one piece luckily." She'd gesture towards the half-elf, lips pressed together to stop her laughter from escaping. Silver eyes glanced over to see his reaction, one eyebrow raised quizzically before turning her attention back to who seemed to be the leader. His words still didn't seem to offer any clue as to how many others there were, but she supposed the number would be found out soon enough- that, or she'd be walking to Nightstone.

Taking his hand apparently wasn't the right thing to do, all the more thrown off by how long the handshake continued. Was it meant to be intimidating or just happy? The half-elf had certainly kept his word, nodding along with a soft smile. "It's nice to meet you, Xolkin. Those rules certainly sound fair." Finally, the handshake would cease, hand returning to her side but a little more tightly this time.

"I must admit, I was rather surprised to here that a camp was just nearby. And heading towards the same place." It seemed Oghma was helping her on her journey for knowledge- coincidences often felt more planned than just randomly occurring. "I would appreciate it if I could stay with your group until we reach there." Safety in numbers, even if alliances were rather unknown.

Esvele1.jpg

Esvele
Kalashtar Cleric 1​
Interactions: Dethrix Dethrix Ellya Ellya

Deception Check? (ignore this if it's unnecessary) (+2); Total: 6 (I- wow... XD)

Lazaro1505 Lazaro1505 Creek Creek
The elf leading the expedition furrows his brow and steps forward, seemingly surprised at how cooperative and 'docile' you were being. "That's a surprise..." he muttered under his breath, holding his hands behind his back with his nose up in the air. He seems pretty confident in the situation, and you could tell that it was for good reason. The perceptive eyes of his scouting underlings dart around expertly, and he seems pretty confident that they'd spot any danger around.

"Don't embarrass yourself, get up... I thought your clan was so fond of a glorious death, but you seem to be willing to meet yours begging on your knees..." The half-elf leader now stands just a foot away from you, still significantly taller than you even when you're standing up. "Tell me where your friends are. Tell me what Gurrash is planning to do next. Where is the coward hiding? Speak and we may let you keep your furry little toes attached"

"And if you don't talk, well... I suppose we really have no use for you, have we? We don't tend to keep enemies of the Wood Elves prisoner for very long..."
With that, the man raises his hand in the air and you see the ones holding their bows, draw their arrows back and keep their muscles tense, waiting for their leader's sign to release.

Creek Creek
Meanwhile, the few scouts at the back of the little party kept their eyes darting around the forest surrounding them. Whether it's because you know how to hide yourself, or they were just distracted by the strange creature they'd just found, none of them seem to really take notice of you just yet.

Last edited:
Athaclenna gives the noisy dwarf a sour look. "I put my books down for more than just funerals! I've been to parties before." She does her best to look disgruntled, but can't hold the scowl for long. "Well, I guess I can admit that it has been a long time since the last one . . . but I have been to them!"

Prepared Spells:
Mage Armor
Magic Missile

The dwarf you know as the innkeeper chuckles and gives you a quick wink. "Ahh, only a joke lass! We're glad to see you show yer face again!" With that, he made one more trip to the barrels set up on the side of the square to get a few more final refills before going to find his seat as well. The open space he had pointed out beside the young halfling was still empty, and he looked at you expectantly, almost gawking. "You uhh... You should sit down, probably. Lady Nandar's about to begin..." With an awkward smile, he shuffles to the side a bit more still. "And... I'd kind of rather be inside too, actually... These things are too loud for me..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back