• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Storm King's Thunder: Intro & Characters

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Other
Here

Ellya

oi mate
Nobody wins when giants fight.
an unknown adventurer

549545-Noah_Bradley-landscape-artwork.jpg

The Savage Frontier (also known as the North) is a cold, rugged, sparsely populated land of snow-capped mountains, rocky hills, sprawling forests, and foggy vales. Isolated strongholds, ancient burial mounds, and the ruins of many forgotten empires dot this vast landscape. Bounded by the Sea of Swords to the west and the desert of Anauroch to the east, the Savage Frontier extends as far north as Icewind Dale and as far south as the town of Daggerford. Old roads stretch across this great expanse, linking the dwarven strongholds and mines in the mountains to the coastal settlements, frontier towns, and fortified outposts of humans and other folk. These roads are long, lonely or poorly defended, making them dangerous to traverse. In fertile valleys, towns and cities have sprung up, separated by dozens if not hundreds of miles of untamed wilderness haunted by bandits, barbarians and monsters.

Evil dragons stirred into action by their dark queen, Tiamat, threatened the settlements of the Savage Frontier for a time. Ultimately, they were defeated and forced to withdraw to their lairs, while Tiamat was banished to the Nine Hells. Fear of the dragons' wrath has faded quickly with the coming of a new threat: giants. The peoples of the North are no stranger to giant incursions. Frost giants have long claimed the Spine of the World as their demesne, and hill giants are known to scrounge for food in the untamed hills. But now, in the past couple of months, giants of every kind have emerged from their strongholds to threaten civilization as never before - and not just frost giants or hill giants, but also stone giants, fire giants and cloud giants. All of the giants are in an uproar. Reports of giant attacks throughout the North have reached the coastal cities of Luskan, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep, stoking fears that the giants are waging war against humans, dwarves, elves and other small folk.

Starting setting
lEKreY7IxDv4rHDnk61Wnk1X9ZCrw-2QNhoPmOMjkjE.jpg

Nightstone

Who-, what- or wherever you are, this tale begins in the town of Nightstone. This small settlement got its name from the massive chunk of obsidian that stands in the middle of the village square. It has strange glyphs carved into it and radiates magic under the scrutiny of detect magic spells, but its properties and purpose couldn't be ascertained. The town does not see many travelers aside nor trouble from the nearby goblin herds, being surrounded by a 15 foot high wooden palisade and a moat. The only bridge leading into the town is well guarded by the small but passionate town guard, and the strategic placement of two of the town's total of seven stone watchtowers near it.

Your purpose in Nightstone
Your connection with the town of Nightstone is up to you. Many of you might be residents, likely knowing each other quite well, or you might have business there. Perhaps are a sightseeing traveler keen to admire the keep on a lone island hill near the settlement, or are simply stopping by to stay at the local inn.

How will this work?D&D in a written form will obviously be very different from an actual real life game. I've thought and experimented a little bit with this, and these are what I find the main differences:

Heavier focus on roleplay
Writing gives you the opportunity to really explore what your character is thinking and feeling when something happens. Don't be afraid to really delve into it and vividly describe your actions

Combat
Since combat in actual D&D is very much a quick back-and-forth between the DM and each player, I'm going to make quite a change here. First of all, there will be no initiative. I realize this might come across as strange, but I feel like the flow of combat would be better if we just follow the order of posts. Of course, this being the case, everyone will only be allowed one round per round of posts, and each round starts and ends with me posting the enemies' actions.

I will share the AC and stats of each enemy at the start of an encounter. If they have to roll a saving throw against your attack, you are allowed to roll it for the enemy.
This way, you can describe your action and know its results without having to wait for me to tell you "yes" or "no" each time.

As I said, this may change over time, but I feel like this would be the most optimal way of keeping a decent pace without having to spam posts back and forth.

Experimental
Please keep in mind that I'm not perfect. I've never run a large scale adventure like this before and, fair warning, I will make mistakes. Changes may happen throughout the campaign here, but they will always be for the sake of fun.

Now this may also be a bit controversial and strange, but I'd rather warn you honestly than ambush you with a surprise later on. I do have quite a lot of other things going on in real life, and I don't have a lot of free time on weekdays especially. There will be slower weeks. There may even be slower months. There may even come a point where I say "hey, I can't bring myself to do this anymore". I really, really hope that point won't come, but the fact of the matter is I do not know how I will perform as a DM.

The golden rule here being please be understanding. I don't like letting people down and I'll try my hardest not to, but realize that I might not live up to your expectations.
I appreciate you all giving me a shot very, very much, and I aim to give you a fantastic experience here.

Character creationWe will start at level 1, but will be progressing through those levels pretty quickly at the start.
For your attributes, you may choose where to apply these six values:

7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18
Please post your character here with the following information. The idea here being that this will be a guide for other players to come back to and get a general idea of what your character is/looks like. Of course, you are free to share your background here as well, but if you'd prefer to keep it all secret and mysterious, just let me know privately when it's relevant!
  • Name​
  • Visual description or reference​
  • Personality or general "vibe"​
  • (Background)
  • Link to your D&D Beyond character​
OOC threadOOC thread: Fantasy - Storm King's Thunder OOC
If you have any questions, you can DM me here, but for a faster response, my discord is Ellya#0322

Cast
Sherwood as Athaclenna Gollana (High Elf Wizard)
Psychie as Sasha Delmar (Tiefling Rogue)
Dethrix as Ehlark Umenorin (Wood Half-Elf Ranger)
Lazaro1505 as Timmothy Wahnabe Jr. (Ratfolk Alchemist)
Creek as Toric (Wood Elf Barbarian)
PlayWight as Helder Whethers (Human Monk)
TeikiFox as Esvele (Kalashtar Cleric)
Idea as Maythread Undergold (Automaton Warlock)​

Last edited:

• 64ce7c1303d03b367d8f57bad7c0ebd4.jpg Name: Ehlark Umenorin
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    Race: Wood Half-Elf
    Background: Veteran Mercenary
    Sex: Male
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 175 lb.

Attributes
    Str:
    10 / +0
    Dex: 19 / +4
    Con: 14 / +2
    Int: 12 / +1
    Wis: 14 / +2
    Cha: 9 / -1

Level: 1
    Class: Ranger (Revised)
    Hit Points: 12
    Hit Dice: 1d10

Armor Class: 14 (15 with Leather Armor)
    Initiative: +4
    Passive Perception: 12

Weapons and Attacks
    Longbow
    +6, 1d8+4 Piercing (Heavy, Two-Handed, Range: 150/600)

Shortsword(s)
    +6, 1d6+4 Piercing (Finesse, Light)

Last edited:

• E7192C80-023B-4304-99CE-FC8715D2B506.jpegName: Timmothy Wahnabe .Jr
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Race: Dark furred Ratfolk
    Background: Cloistered Scholar

Attributes
    Str: 10
    Dex: 20 / +5
    Con: 12 / +1
    Int: 13 / +1
    Cha: 8 / -1

Class: Alchemist
    Hit Points: 9
    Hit Dice: 1d8

Armor Class: 16
    Initiative: +5
    Passive Perception: 14

Weapons and Attacks:
    Crossbow:
    1d8 Piercing damage

Bombs:
    1d6 fire damage + Wisdom

Leather armor: +1 AC

Last edited:

• fN4yYdM.jpg
    Name: Toric
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Race: Wood Elf
    Background: Outlander
    Height: 5'0"

Attributes
    Str: 18 / +4
    Dex: 15 / +2
    Int: 10 / +0
    Wis: 13 / +1
    Cha: 7 / -2

Class: Barbarian
    Hit Points: 14
    Hit Dice: 1d12

Armor Class: 14 (unarmored)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 35ft
    Passive Perception: 13

Weapons and Attacks
    Greataxe. +6 to hit, reach 5ft.
    1d12+4 slashing, heavy, two-handed.

Handaxes. +6 to hit, reach 5ft.
    1d6+4 slashing, light, thrown (range 20/60)

Last edited:

• Character Name: Helder Whethers
    Class & Level: Monk 1
    Race: Human (Variant)
    Background: Sailor

Ability Scores & Modifiers
    Str: 13 / +1
    Dex: 18 / +4
    Int: 7 / -2
    Cha: 10 / +0

Armor Class: 16
    Speed: 40ft
    Hit Point Maximum: 10
    Hit Dice: 1d8
    Passive Perception: 14

Weapons and Attacks
    NameAttack BonusDamageProperties
    Spear+61d6+4 PiercingThrown (20/60), versatile (1d8)
    Unarmed Strike+61d4+4 Bludgeoning
    Darts+61d4+4 PiercingFinese, thrown (20/60)
    Belaying pin+31d4+1 Bludgeoning Light

Last edited:

• Esvele1.jpg
    Esvele
    Kalashtar (Eberron) Cleric 1
    Neutral Good
    AC: 13 +2 (shield)
    Speed: 30 ft
    HP: 8 (1d8)
    Passive Perception: 15
    Personality Traits: There's nothing I like more than a good mystery. I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgement.

Ideals: The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself. (Any)

Bonds: I work to preserve a library, university, scriptorium, or monastery.

Flaws: I am easily distracted by the promise of information.

Quirk: You are strongly influenced by the emotions of those around you.

Size: Medium

Height: 5' 7" or 175.25 cm
    Author's Note Esvele doesn't really know she's a Kalashtar? Her understanding is that she's entirely human, maybe with a far off relative of an elf if you're being picky. She will still use her Kalashtar Traits, but it will be more random and unintentional. Just a little fore-warning...

A rather petite girl, Esvele has curly blonde hair that extends a little further than her shoulders. Her eyes are a pale blue- silver that seem to glow whenever she's emotional. Pretty excitable, the cleric seems rather curious about the world and all it contains, despite seeming to have a decent knowledge or understanding on quite a few things. She tends to happily hum to herself and whenever really excited, will start rambling over interesting facts and how fascinating everything is in person. Her emotions tend to sway with how everyone else is feeling, but generally Esvele's just happy to be exploring.

Uh- so, I was having fun playing around with all the different code blocks...

Last edited:
  • Maythread Undergold
    Lvl 1 Celestial Warlock / Lvl 1 Artificer

• Race: Automaton (warforged reflavored) [Construct and Humanoid Creature Types]
      Age/Gender: Female, as per the imprinted memories.
      Height/Weight: 4 foot 3 / 190 Ibs
      Languages: Common, Dwarven, Giant
      More Appearance Details:

STR
      Athletics: +4

DEX
      Acrobatics: 0|Sleight of Hand: 0|Stealth: 0

CON

INT
      Arcana: +4|History: +2|Investigation: +4

Nature: +2|Religion: +2

WIS
      Animal Handling: -2|Insight: -2|Medicine: 0

Perception: -2|Survival: -2

CHA
      Deception: +4|Intimidation: +4

Performance: +4 |Persuasion: +6

Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Hit Points: 17
    Hit Dice: 2d8
    Armor Class: 12
    Initiative: 0
    Speed: 30 ft
    Passive Perception: 8
    Spellcasting Ability: Cha / Int
    Spellsave DC: 14 / 12
    Spell Attack Bonus: +6 / +4

Spells
Cantrips: (4)
*Create Bonfire (Warlock)
*Prestidigitation (Warlock)
*Light (Warlock)
*Sacred Flame (Warlock)
*Shocking Grasp (Artificer)
*Mending (Artificer)

First Level: (2)
*Guiding Bolt (Warlock)
*Healing Elixir (Warlock)
*Detect Magic (Artificer) [Ritual] [Prepared]
*Catapult (Artificer) [Prepared]

Items
Equipped:
*Copper Plates (Reflavored Leather) (-10 GP)
*Arcane Focus - Crystal (-10 GP) [The Core Inside of Her]
*Sack x3 (-3 CP)
*Spear (-1 GP)

Currency:
0 PP
15 GP
14 SP
23 CP

Carrying:
*Miner's Pick (-2 GP)
*Pole (10 ft) (-5 CP)
*Bloodied Crowbar (-2 GP)
*Rope (Hemp - 50 ft) x2 (-2 GP)
*Chalk x4 (-4 CP)
*Piton x5 (-25 CP)
*Shovel (-2 GP)
*Light Hammer (-2 GP)
*Spear x2 (-2 GP)
*Shield (-10 GP)
*Navigator's Tools (-25 GP)
*Healer's Kit (-5 GP)

-Navigator's Tools Ruleset in use: Xanatar's Guide to Everything

Custom Backgrounds
Warforged
Celestial Warlock
Expanded Class Features

Last edited:
Torgan Bomrek
Dwarf fighter

View attachment 869578

- hate creepy crawlies
- hate trolls
- hate orcs
- love minin'
- love ale
- love me axe

Stats look good! Just try to think of some character traits, personality, background, ... just some things to flesh him out a little, we're mostly focusing on character interactions after all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back