• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Time: After the Assassin Deathborn Attack
Characters: Serik and Leandra

Leandra frowned a bit at the thought of any Skybeast being considered a pest, but then Serik's explanation made more sense. If they were stealing livestock, then anyone would consider them to be pests.
Upon hearing that Valkyrie was at fault for his broken leg during that horrible fight, Leandra's face paled. She was at a loss for words. Even when Serik said he forgave her and reasoned it out, Leandra just could not believe any Skybeast would harm its human, even if to protect them.
Serik went on to discuss how something was really bothering Valkyrie and Leandra just could not comprehend their Bond. It seemed borderline abusive to her.
Shaking her head, Leandra said, "I'm sorry, but that's seriously messed up that Valkyrie broke your leg to save you. There are so many other ways to do that without hurting your Bonded human."
Leandra could not even begin to imagine Falarion harming her in order to protect her. It just made no sense to her.
Looking back out at where Valkyrie was resting, Leandra frowned and said, "Maybe whatever Valkyrie is dealing with is part of why she's painfully protective of you. Someone as overprotective as she is...could be she was unable to protect someone else in the past. I know I was overprotective of my little brother way too much as a teenager. I never really let him defend himself, though I still don't think he would've done much without me there to protect him..."
Her voice grew quieter as she spoke about her little brother and Leandra trailed off near the end, her thoughts going back to the many times she had defended Manjano from bullies in the village. She had taken a lot of hits for him over the years and she almost resented him for not standing up for himself.

AncientBird AncientBird
#EB6B56

Time: Long Before the Events in Main
Characters: Leandra and Caliban

Quietly, Leandra crept forward in the jungle brush, her bow at the ready with an arrow nocked. She was approaching the end of the trail she had been following. Best she could tell, she was tracking a young hoofed beast of some kind. The deep imprint of the tracks meant it was heavy and she knew that meant her family would not have to worry about meat for a good while. Its hide could potentially fetch a nice price in the city and if it had antlers, then she would get even more for the kill.
Creeping around a tree, Leandra peered out and heard an odd groaning sound. It was not one that something living would make. Instead, it sounded like something was hanging and had started swinging in place. This deep in the jungle, Leandra could only assume a trapper had laid out a trap and now something was caught in it.
Disheartened, Leandra stood up from her hiding place and approached the clearing. It was likely that this trap had caught the beast she was tracking, which meant she had wasted her entire morning.
Kicking a pebble, Leandra watched it bounce into the clearing just before she walked out. She sighted the rope trap where the swinging sound was coming from, but she did not expect to see what was actually hanging from it. A young teenage boy was dangling upside down from his ankle and he had the funniest determined look on his face. He was red in the face, which told Leandra that he had been hanging for quite some time already.
Putting her arrow back into her quiver and sliding her bow over her shoulder, Leandra sighed loudly to announce her presence in case he had not already noticed her. She crossed her arms over her chest and said, "You know, I'm very disappointed that my tracking led me to you instead of a good potential kill. I think I just wasted my entire morning."
She did not bother to hide her disappointment from her tone and her eyes followed the rope line to see where it ended in some bushes nearby. It was obvious to her that she could either cut the rope above his ankle or go knock over the beginning of the trap to free him. Her frustration at a failed tracking job kept her from offering that, though.

Naberius Naberius
#B8312F

Last edited:
Time: After the assassin deathborn attack
Characters: Serik and Leandra

Serik was unsure at the suggestion that Valkyrie might had acted so protective over him due to her past of losing someone. Serik couldn’t think of any way a stork drake could be larmenting over someone or something. Whenever he looked at them in group, they always bicker and fight among each other... No peace, no truce... Valkyrie was the only exception not trying to pick a fight with everyone and she was already a pain to deal with...

“Perhaps, I will find out later in time. But whatever is her problem... I hope it would be fixed soon.” Serik said. He then make a loud yawn.

“Sorry for that, I haven’t got a chance to sleep much last night. I could use some sleep now or else I wouldn’t be able to go anywhere... Thanks for talking with me, Leandra. You are really a good friend.” Serik said and smiled at the girl and then got up. He walked back inside to find a place to lie down.

Featuring: Lioness075 Lioness075
#EB6B56

Time: Long Before the Events in Main
Characters: Leandra and Caliban

Stupid jungle, stupid animals. This is going to be easy, especially for someone as absolutely incredible as I am.

Caliban's thought process seemed...flawed now. An hour or so before, he had gotten ahead of a rather impressive wild boar that he planned to skin, slaughter and salt to store for the next few months. The trap was a simple one that he had used several times before and each time had won him a prize. This time was not supposed to be any different, but as fate would have it, this particular morning as he had finished setting up the trap, he heard a noise behind him and spun, only to realize too late that his left food landed precisely where it needed to to hoist him several feet off the ground, his hunting knife dropping to the jungle floor below. He swung back and forth, dangling there and struggling against his own genius trap for nearly half an hour before he heard something approaching. He assumed it was a wild animal of some sort and that he was about to become lunch. The blood had rushed to his head by now, causing no small amount of discomfort and irritation. His anger was boiling over already, and when a girl, not a beast, stepped out, it only made things worse, especially with her comments.

"Yeah well, doesn't matter, go away! You're in my territory, Sudenta's greatest trapper! You're trespassing!

Lioness075 Lioness075

Time: During the ritual
Interaction: Caliban, Katja

Cal raised an eyebrow at her reaction, how she seemed to be not just a little startled at being found by someone. There was some part of her reaction that was...off, simply because he was the one that found her.
"We have to talk about you, mostly. Katja...I've noticed something about you that we need to talk about, just us."

He sat down, back against the rock, hands behind his head. For a few moments, he was silent. Then at length, he looked her in the eyes, still smiling that warm and inviting smile.
"I'm going to teach you a few things, okay? But it has to be because you want me to. This isn't something that can be forced, but it needs to happen. And I think it will be easier if it's me and not one of the others. I know I'm not the most intelligent person, or the most cut out to teach anyone anything, but this feels right to me."

He scooted around to face her, sitting with his legs crossed across from her.
"I need you to be open minded about it, though okay? Katja. I need you to let me teach you how to defend yourself. Even just a little. I know you're afraid, I know you don't want to fight. You have a kind, gentle heart. But I- er..we won't always be able to protect you every step of the way. So, spar with me. I want to show you how to at least protect yourself long enough for m- uh, one of us to get to you in the heat of battle. I want to show you that though you might be afraid, you can't let your fear control you."

He didn't know why in particular he had almost put himself in the position of being her sole protector, and it wasn't something he had time to think about just now. For the moment, he had to think of how to get her to let him teach her.

explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

Time: After the proving
Interaction: Ord and Matthias

Ord cornered Matthias after his spar with Marylka.
"I'm sorry," he said it before anything else, "for making an example out of you back at the proving grounds, in front of your friends. It was perhaps a little unkind. I can only imagine what you all are going through now."
He made sure they were out of earshot of any of the others.
"How are you feeling? Still nauseous?"
Ord gave Matthias a sheepish look. "On my way back to Westeros, it took me a week because of how sick I became. I never had the stomach for flying...had to build it up."
He chuckled, "not even Kesh knows that about me...so!" He set his wooden sword aside and took up a hand-to-hand fighting stance, his expression light, almost playful. "Would you care for revenge?"

Elenion Aura Elenion Aura
color=#009999

Interaction:Kari & Gerel

Kari heard Gerel and turned. A broad smile appeared on her face and she pretended to curtsy as if accepting a dance.
"I'd love to."
Gerel began explaining why his skill would be lacking and Kari shrugged, "In all honesty, I only know the little that my mother taught my brother and I, before he, well, she stopped training me after that...but, the weird thing is, I swear I didn't know how to use half those fire magic techniques that I used either...whatever happened in that lost year...I don't think it's gone."
Kari was eager to test her theory, "Okay, copy my stance." She began, and bent her legs, putting up a guard with both arms.
In order for the test to work, she would have to be fast, so Kari moved, she tried to step around Gerel's guard and struck out with a kick to his side.

YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro
color=#666699

Time:After landing
Characters: Aldaf, Zeke

Aldaf chuckled at Zeke going into a full defensive stance and dashed forward. He sidestepped around Zeke the other way and poked his back with the dull wooden training sheath. Another quick backpedal put Aldaf out of range of Zeke again.

"Come on, Gryphon-head! Come get me!"

SleepyCreamy SleepyCreamy

55FF44

”There is nothing to apologize for. I understand.” Matthias did understand, and harbored no ill will because of it. He’d been in Ord’s very position before, many times in fact, with his younger siblings. Matthias realized then, with mild amusement, that he was standing in the shoes of a junior for the first time in what felt like a lifetime, and at the same time found its juxtaposition compared to his usual role more than a little jarring.

Matthias stretched his arms across his chest, feeling his muscles loosen. So he’d noticed? Ord was perceptive. Matthias was also no actor. Perhaps Marylka had noted it, too, but was too kind to point it out. Matthias nodded. He was feeling much better. His feet no longer felt like they were weighted with stones, and his stomach had calmed considerably. The sparring had worked the queasiness right out of him. ”Good to know I’m not the only one.” Matthias grumbled with some relief. He didn’t even flinch when the other man mentioned Keshka’s name, as though Ord’s voice drained it of any negative attachment.

At the mention of revenge, Matthias’ lips quirked. He did want to spar with Ord, but not out of a desire for revenge. Instead Matthias wanted to test his mettle against a fighter more seasoned. He settled into his brawler’s stance, hands raised. ”Yes.” He said. Then Matthias lunged, making a grab for the man’s collar bone.

SilverFlight SilverFlight
color=#009999

Matthias' grumbling earned him a chuckle, and then the fight was on. Ord saw the attack, stepped backward and then turned his shoulder, only narrowly escaping Matthias' grasp.
Ord returned by taking hold of Matthias' arm and spinning him away.
"You have power!" He laughed, "but it'll take more than that to get the better of me!"

color=#009999

Cal raised an eyebrow at her reaction, how she seemed to be not just a little startled at being found by someone. There was some part of her reaction that was...off, simply because he was the one that found her.
"We have to talk about you, mostly. Katja...I've noticed something about you that we need to talk about, just us."

He sat down, back against the rock, hands behind his head. For a few moments, he was silent. Then at length, he looked her in the eyes, still smiling that warm and inviting smile.
"I'm going to teach you a few things, okay? But it has to be because you want me to. This isn't something that can be forced, but it needs to happen. And I think it will be easier if it's me and not one of the others. I know I'm not the most intelligent person, or the most cut out to teach anyone anything, but this feels right to me."

He scooted around to face her, sitting with his legs crossed across from her.
"I need you to be open minded about it, though okay? Katja. I need you to let me teach you how to defend yourself. Even just a little. I know you're afraid, I know you don't want to fight. You have a kind, gentle heart. But I- er..we won't always be able to protect you every step of the way. So, spar with me. I want to show you how to at least protect yourself long enough for m- uh, one of us to get to you in the heat of battle. I want to show you that though you might be afraid, you can't let your fear control you."

He didn't know why in particular he had almost put himself in the position of being her sole protector, and it wasn't something he had time to think about just now. For the moment, he had to think of how to get her to let him teach her.

Katja’s eyes widened when Caliban started talking, and her face was getting more and more red as he kept getting closer and closer, the things he was suggesting, um... UM? Was she reading this right?

She was trying not to look like a cornered puppy while Caliban was taking about “teaching” and “feeling right”. She was starting to turn red from the implication, and unconsciously her eyes glanced down to where Caliban’s... yeah... abs were under his shirt, which only made her blush rush up higher on her face as she realized exactly what she was doing. NOW IS NOT THE TIME!

Then her head snapped up to look at him as he started to talk about... teaching her... self defense...
GODS WHY DID MY MIND IMMEDIATELY GO THAT DIRECTION?! WHAT IN THE BELOW IS WRONG WITH ME?! AGGHHHH!

“What? F-Fighting? Nononono, I don’t do that.” The red flushing from her face back to normal as she scooted further away from Caliban, hugging her knees and shaking her head. “uh-uh. No. I don’t need that. I’m fine. I’ve got you guys around to protect me. ANd... and Barran!”

She gestured up at the large owl, whom turned her head around sharply to look at the two. The bird blinked and bobbed her head around a little before turning back to watch everyone else fighting.

Naberius Naberius

Matthias pitched forward. Ord was surprisingly strong. He whipped around, planted his feet and charged again. He reached with both arms this time, spread wide. Matthias swiped at Ord, trying to wrap him up and drag him into a grapple, where Matthias’ size could better serve him.

color=#009999

Ord saw the attack coming, and knew instantly that he did not want to be forced into a contest of strength with the burly Northarian. As Matthias came in to catch him Ord ducked skillfully under one of his arms, coming up the other side with a pivot and a quick strike to Matthias' ribs.
"Your moves are predictable. Guard your intentions more carefully, force your opponent to guess."
Ord was still smiling, it was clear he was having great fun.

color=#009999

Cal couldn't help but notice her face turning red and the color getting more intense as he spoke.
A fever maybe?
Then he saw her eyes began to wander, and his eyebrow quirked up a bit. But, that was something to think about later. He didn't really know what her reaction was about but her response to his comments were what mattered right now.

"Katja, listen to yourself. You can't spend the entire time hiding behind your friends and your partner. For example, what if we're in a cave or a building and Barren cannot help you. Say you get cut off from the rest of us. What then? Let me help you. Please. I...don't want you to get hurt.."

He had to stop himself. He looked confused for a moment, he had no idea where that particular line of thinking had come from. He reasoned that it was because she was his friend, which made the most sense at the time. Though that didn't fully explain the way he said it.

#F7DA64

Matthias’ side smarted from the blow, but he shrugged it off. His face was serious, but Matthias was enjoying himself. ”Is this a bout or a lesson?” Matthias spouted once he’d recovered, turning to face Ord again. Even as he asked, Matthias thought he knew the answer. Slowly he approached, his guard raised. He got as close as Ord would permit, then threw his arm out, like before. Only this time it was a feint to hide Matthias’ true intent. At the last moment he pulled back and threw a sweeping leg kick at Ord’s feet.

color=#009999

"What do you want it to be?" Ord countered. He watched Matthias' arms move, was moving to block, but only a split second too late did he realize Matthias' ploy.
The leg he was shifting to suddenly was taken out from under him and he went down. He sat there for only a moment, blinking in surprise, then he looked up, eyes shining. "That's it!" He cried, and laughed, rolled to his feet and took off.
"Let's make this a little more interesting!"
Ord leapt and landed on one of the floating stones that hovered just above the grass. More stones floated nearby, dipping only slightly under Ord's weight. They lead in a winding path up to the cliffs overhead, but Ord stopped after only a few, his intention to fight on the stoned themselves. It would require balance, calculation and thought.
"Do you dare face me here?" Ord taunted good-naturedly.

color=#009999

Matthias’ pride swelled. Then he watched Ord skip off, hopping along floating stones like a winter toad over frozen lily pads, and Matthias felt his heart drop. He didn’t know if he could do that, let alone make it look so effortless, so graceful.

Ord’s question was fair. Did he? He didn’t know. He could easily slip and fall and break his neck and his story would be over. His family, fresh off the news of his miraculous return, would have to mourn him all over again. The real question for Matthias, as he looked at the path of floating stones leading him onward, and upward, was this. Do I trust you?

”I do.” Matthias answered, to his own abject surprise. He took his first step. The stone dipped in protest, noticeably farther than it did for Ord. The Northarian had never been known to be light on his feet. Step by hesitant step found him a stone’s throw away from Ord. Speaking of...

Curious, Matthias snatched a floating stone with arm’s length and tossed it like a discus at the stone beneath Ord’s feet.

color=#009999

Last edited:

“No, I- I’m fine, I’ll be fine. I’m a healer, I shouldn’t be on the battlefield anyway.”

She sighed, hugging her legs tighter against herself. She hated even the mere thought of fighting. The blood, the pain, not only hers, but the others. Even if they were the ones attacking first.

“I’m a people fixer, not a people breaker.”

Thinking about it made her stomach turn and do flip flops. Thinking about the grief someone would feel if their loved ones came back home battered and bruised, even dead... In her mind the image of her own father stumbling home from town with a black eye and a split lip sent shudders through her. She was beside herself with grief for what he had to go through.

“I don’t... I don’t want to hurt anyone...”

Naberius Naberius

Ord balanced on his stone, watching with utter delight as Matthias followed, slowly, cautiously, stone by stone. Ord knew that everything about this new terrain drew his opponent out of his comfort zone, but Ord wouldn't let him fall.
To his surprise, Matthias took a rock and with a flick of the wrist sent it spinning to greet him. Ord acted out of instinct, calling the magic he had been training with day in and day out since the academy first discovered it. Ord put a hand up and the rock stopped in mid air and hung there, inches from the stone on which he stood.
Ord was a geomancer, and it was a form of magic never before seen in the Skylands. This was why he was so adamant on keeping the spells away from prying eyes. It was a magic beyond the power of the gods.
Part of him worried, suddenly the Northarian's opinion of him seemed to matter more than it did before, and being an open book he couldn't hide it, but he did his best. It was too late now. Matthias had seen it.
"Are you absolutely sure you want to start throwing rocks?" He asked, in a voice that told Matthias he really didn't.
With one motion Ord sent the discus spiraling away, and then he began to focus, and the rocks underneath their feet, began to move. They stayed flat, making them easy to stand on, but now, they didn't just hang in the air. They circled one another, wove back and forth, meaning they would have to move to keep their distance.
Ord bounded from one rock to another, but he didn't use his magic to attack, where was the fun in an advantage like that? Instead, he put his foot against a smaller stone and pushed it to collide with the one Matthias' was balancing on.

color=#009999

Caliban sighed. He could see that this particular tactic wasn't working, and so decided to attack from a different angle. His smile dropped and he positioned himself much closer to Katja, drawing her attention to his eyes.
"Katja. Look at me. What in particular do you see? I'll tell you. I am just a man. I fight, sure. But I fight to survive. When you take your life into your own hands, it is freeing. But there is also risk. There is even greater risk in not fighting at all. And if you won't fight for yourself, fight for others. Let me propose a situation for you. We are friends, yes? Suppose I am attacked. Suppose I am disarmed, unable to strike. I am being choked to death. I will die. In front of you. Do you allow it? Do you sit, scared, as I die, pleading with you to help? You are the only one who can do anything to stop it. Or do you fight?"

He stopped speaking, letting the words set in before continuing. This was far harsher than he intended for things to be, but he was determined not to let her be defenseless. She would learn to fight for others, but in reality he would be getting what he wanted as well. She would be able to protect herself in case a time should arrive when he can't.

"I do not mean to sound so dismal about it, Katja, but the reality is that there may very well come a time when you are the only thing standing between someone or something you hold dear, and the death or destruction of that thing or person. So tell me, will you sit idly by and allow that to happen, or will you take things into your own hands and refuse to accept it?"

#F7DA64

Katja’s eyes widened, hazel hues changing in the moonlight to a more vibrant green, and she stared at Caliban with those big doe-eyes.

The message he was trying to deliver sank in deep like a knife, and the conflict of her thoughts and emotions was evident on her face.

She detested violence. But could she watch anyone die without doing something? But she wasn’t any good at fighting. But her friends. But... what could she really do? She...

The young woman, thoroughly conflicted and now maybe a little anxious ducked her head between her knees, hiding her face and her eyes from him as she fell into that anxiety over the proposed situation.

Naberius Naberius

Caliban watched the war that raged in her heart, and felt pain in his own. A protectiveness that was born of something that was just the feelings he felt for his other friends. There was something deeper, but he couldn't place it. Though the why didn't matter, the result was the same: he had scored the hit that he needed to in this battle, but it had cost something. She was in a deep, dark place right now. And he would comfort her as best he could. She at least was starting to understand that she could not remain defenseless as she was now. He moved closer, sitting beside her and putting an arm around her shoulders.

"Katja, listen. This is something that you have to decide for yourself. But I want to help you. You can't remain as you are now, or something like what I just described really could happen. Barren won't always be able to be around to help you, and the rest of us are human too. We can be beaten, we can die. We are a team, and as a team we have to watch out for each other. We need you just as much as you need us. Let me help you, let me teach you. That way, you'll never have to give in to that dark fear again, you'll be able to save those you care about, help your friends. Remember that we do not fight because we want to, but because we have to. That is the difference between us and those with darkness in their hearts and evil intentions. A person who does not fight because they can't isn't peaceful, they are helpless."

#F7DA64

She tipped her up so Cal could just barely see the glint of her eyes through the mask. She looked near to tears as she considered the facts presented in front of her. It hurt her heart, like she couldn’t even imagine.

What would she do. This wasn’t as easy as it should be. Sure, she had gotten into fights at home. But she had been beaten every time, and the gods know that she only made things worse for herself but what was she going to do? Let them talk shit about her dad in front of her? But... ugh, thinking about it now made her feel like a hypocrite. She didn’t fight so much as be beaten up...

“UuUUuggghhh, fine! Fine, just... fine...”

Naberius Naberius

Time:After landing
Characters: Aldaf, Zeke

"Come on, Gryphon-head! Come get me!" The playful teasing was enough for Zeke to get fired up and charge at Aldaf with full speed. Zeke's steps were careful and his hands clamped tightly onto his sheathed blade. Once Zeke was in front of him, Zeke swung his sword on Aldaf's side, clearly aiming at his forearms. Zeke was about to aim for his neck, but he figured he should lower his aim to avoid any fatal injuries. Zeke's swing was successful and he watched as his sheathed blade made contact to his forearm. "Gotcha, Scar-face." He said with a smirk.

kase9187 kase9187
#55FF44

Cal nodded, standing up. He offered her a hand to help her to her feet.
"This is incredibly difficult for you, and I know that. You'll be upset with me, maybe even hate me. But I can live with that as long as you're okay."
He put some sort of inflection on the last few words, but he didn't know why.
"You'll be able to use what I teach you to defend yourself and those that you care about. And hopefully, by the time we finish you'll start to understand that your fear cannot control you. It will give you more confidence in yourself and you will have the skills you need. Just in case. Much like a dangerous weapon, it is better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back