• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Time: Midnight, after party
Characters: All
Present: Aldaf, Kari, Serik, Gerel, Cal, Lea

Aldaf waved to Krohal as he left.
"Never. Sounded like either someone from out of town or something." Aldaf spoke, leaning on Spica's head.
"Headache from my first round acted up, couldn't hold on." He pat Spica's head. "Glad Spica was able to catch me."

He turned to the rest of his friends. "Hey, guys. Did you see how much air time I got?" His grin was infectious but his head was that of a church bell; Loud and obnoxious banging.

SilverFlight SilverFlight AncientBird AncientBird YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Naberius Naberius Lioness075 Lioness075

Time: During the Proving Celebration
Characters: Caliban, Katja

Katja stiffened when she felt Caliban’s arms wrap around her, and she whipped her head around to stare at him questioningly, but gods damn, he sounded so sincere. She almost believed him.

She felt a few tears drop down her cheeks from under the mask, and her hurriedly wiped them, hoping Caliban wouldn’t see them- In Northaria she would have been mocked mercilessly for crying in public.

“Aren’t... Aren’t you worried about your family?” She mumbled, trying to keep her voice steady, “They’re probably so worried about you... I couldn’t possibly sleep at night knowing my dad is worrying about me, he’s worried for me enough. I’ve put him through enough.”

She sighed and sniffled, sticking her hands up under the mask and rubbing her eyes. “... I just need to make sure he’s okay... so he knows I’m okay and we can both get some sleep at night.”

Naberius Naberius

Time: During the party before... The Incident™
Characters: Gerel and Katja
Color- #daf599

She received the glass of goat milk with a curious glance. While Gerel dove right into it, Katja glanced around and took a cursory sniff of the liquid. It smelled like... cinnamon, cloves... possibly some Estendor specific spices... eventually she just shrugged and took a sip of it, smacked her lips a few times, and mumbled, “Mm... Needs more nutmeg.” Mostly to herself. Hopefully Gerel didn’t hear that.

Eventually she tuned back into the conversation and replied with, “Yes, it certainly seems like the gods have plans for us. I trust their judgement, but boy do they work in mysterious ways.”

She looked up at Gerel and gave a weak attempt at a chuckle,
“Trust me, if I need help I’ll ask. It’s better to ask for help than being prideful and letting your patients die because you don’t have enough hands.”

YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro

"Of course I'm worried. I'm worried sick about them. But getting flustered, flying off on your own in the middle of the night? That's dangerous. And my friends would be worried, then, too. There's no need to bottle up your feelings, there's no one here but us. Crying doesn't make you weak. Showing emotion doesn't make you weak. It makes you a person."

He gave her shoulders a gentle squeeze as he sat there with her, just holding her. Being there for his friend.

"At the very least, we should try and relax just for tonight. Flying at night, even with a skybeast that can see in the dark well, is dangerous. Especially when we don't know if there are more of those skeleton things out there. If you get hurt out there on your own, and none of us know where you are, how far you got, or if you're alive at all, wouldn't that be causing more heartache than what might already exist? All I'm asking is that you stay, just for tonight. We can decide on our next course of action by the light of the morning sun.And I'll be right here with you. We're friends now, that means something. It means you don't have to fight alone anymore."

explosiveKitten explosiveKitten

Timing: Middle of the night, after the party
Interaction: open kase9187 kase9187 YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird Naberius Naberius
color: #ff9900

Kari turned her head to Aldaf as he teased her.
"Are you trying to make me feel better or worse?" She teased back. Then she looked at Spica, she was smiling.
"You got lucky lizard, I'll get you in the rematch."
Kari knew she would have a few bruises before the night was out.
"I'll be fine." She reassured her friend. "Half the experience is knowing how to fall."

Gerel seemed more than a little relieved that the bruises were all she'd collected.
She chuckled as he gave her an out.
"Oh I'm definitely racing you. But I can also admit defeat gracefully. Let's see if you win your next round."
She shouldered him playfully.

It was Aldaf's turn again next and Kari watched the match with grand excitement, yelling and whooping. When Aldaf slipped off the creature's back Kari could barely watch, but a quick act from Spica likely saved him broken bones.
"You are lucky to have such a dedicated beast. Air time? I think you broke records." Kari laughed. "How's your head?"

Kari had been knocked out, all she had to do now was watch the other rounds. With her friends however, it didn't quite take on the same tone in her mind as it always had, and thinking on it, Kari realized that that was a very good thing.
Now that she was out of danger she brought Zephyr back from the amulet. He seemed content to watch, though he glared at anyone who came to close. Kari scrambled up onto his back, and offered a hand to anyone who wanted a better seat.

He was right. She knew he was right. Flying off into the night wasn’t a good idea. Doing it alone? Even worse. Even if Barran had night sight, it was a stupid, impulsive idea. But all she had wanted to do since she woke up three days ago was to go home. She couldn’t stand being so far from home with no explanation.

But Caliban was right. Gods... She just wanted to make sure her dad was okay, but he was right.

“... alright, alright, I give. I’ll stay.” She sighed, looking sheepishly at the ground before she muttered, “Erm... Caliban... you can uh.... you can let go now... I’m fine...”

Naberius Naberius

"Hmm...I'll let go, sure. On one condition though."

He held her just a little more tightly, letting her know he was there for her.

"Come to be whenever you need someone to talk to, okay? Promise me that. You're important to me, all my friends are. Don't ever forget that. I meant it when I said your father isn't the only one you have anymore. I'll be right here for you too. Always."

He meant every word, and he wanted her to know that more than anything. She had friends now, people who would look after her and be there when she needed them. That was important for anyone to know. It was important for everyone to have someone to rely on.

“Yes, yes, just- I think if you don’t let me go I think Barran might kill you.”
Katja jabbed a thumb in the direction of the large owl. Barran had at first been happy with Caliban’s presence, but after all this hugging she was starting to look less than please.
Stupid boy think HE can snuggle girl? NO.

Katja snorted at the irritation and protectiveness coming off the skybeast in waves, and carefully she squirmed out of Caliban’s arms, scrambling to her feet, taking a second to right her mask on her face before she turned and faced him, rubbing her arm awkwardly.

“Look, can we... not tell anyone about this? I don’t want anyone to feel like I... was gonna abandon them. I was gonna come back after I checked on my dad, I just... Yeah...”

Naberius Naberius

Cal let her go, a playful smile dancing across his face. For the first time that night, he didn't have to force it even a little bit. He stood, dusting off the knees of his pants. He looked at the large owl, Barren, and smiled. She reminded him of Lea and Nerene. Overly protective no matter what.

"It will be our little secret. And don't worry, I know you'd never abandon anyone. It's not in your nature. You have far too kind and beautiful a heart to do that."

He walked a few steps back before turning and looking at her again.

"So, shall we head back to the party together then?"

Present: Aldaf, Kari, Serik, Gerel, Cal, Lea

Aldaf rubbed his temple. "Hurts a bit." He grabbed onto Spica's horn and swung himself onto her head as she lifted her head upwards.

Spica turned to Kari and Zephyr and rattled her scales happily. Aldaf leaned and hung off of Spica's horn. "Best view, eh?" He looked downward onto Kari and Zephyr, a good bit above them with Spica's neck extended.

"I think Spica's done. She doesn't seem to want to go." He moved back to the top of her head and laid down, watching the rest of the matchups from above.

SilverFlight SilverFlight
FF9900

Interaction: open

Cal waved at Lea as he heard her call out, and smiled. She was always fairly skilled at wrestling the wild beasts they encountered on their hunts, but wondered how well that skill translated over into this particular event.

"I think I'll be giving it a go next, if there are no objections?"

Cal's first round in the ring was not very flashy or full of much showmanship, but he got the job done. A strange skybeast, similar in appearance to a rather large black feathered eagle of some kind by the name of Horus was to be his opponent. Cal had never done anything like this before except for wrangling dangerous beasts of the jungles, but none of the ones he had wrestled with could fly. Grabbing the offered rope, he leapt atop the creature. It was a bit different from sitting on Nerene, but it had already begun before he had time to properly prepare himself and get fully comfortable. The beast was obviously not the best suited for this sort of thing, being more comfortable in the air than on the ground, but it surely wasn't exactly easy. It had a habit of jumping rather high in a sort of half-attempted flight a good 12 feet off the ground before landing again. The impacts from those little stunts and the lack of any good handholds was enough to nearly cost him the first match he even attempted.

But by the end, he had secured his first victory with only minor bumps. He hadn't been pitted against what he would consider a truly challenging beast like some of the others had in the time he had spent watching the events, but it was enough to get a bit of a feel for how things were going to be. He stalked over to Lea and gave her a friendly, gentle elbow bump to her arm.

kase9187 kase9187 YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird SilverFlight SilverFlight

Time: Celebratory Party
Characters: Marylka, Caliban

Cal considered her words for a few moments, quietly thinking to himself as his eyes grew distant. That was the question he had been working on finding the answer for all evening. And he still didn't know what he would do come tomorrow.

"What I think is...We're all tied together somehow. Have you noticed our pets? They remember each other and other group members. That means their memories haven't been taken like ours. But, as far as deciding if I want to see my family or go on this little journey, well. That can wait until tomorrow. We've earned this little relaxation party, a chance to unwind after nearly dying on a mountain. Several times, might I add."

Despite the severity of the conversation topic, his smile never fully disappeared. Though, that also just so happened to be her next point of interest. It was a question he had been asked many times before, and he would be asked many times afterwards.

"Adventurer's Vow Number 134: Compassion benefits all. A smile at the right moment could make someone's whole day, or keep them from making a very bad decision. It tells people that you're calm and in control of whatever situation that is taking place. Even when you're scared, or are delivering bad news, smile. Sure there are exceptions to that, but in general, a smile will never no the wrong way if the intent is pure. I smile because that's what people need to see. I smile because if not me, then who will?"

Saturn_moon Saturn_moon

Currently present: Aldaf, Kari, Leandra, Gerel, Serik, Caliban

Serik noticed that Caliban was next in the ring and was to faced off a giant eagle, so he came back to watch. Serik noticed Leandra staying beside the ring, cheering for her brother. Realizing that he owed her a conversation just before Krohal’s interruption drawing him away, he went to stand next to her and kept watching the fight.

Eventually Caliban earned himself a victory over the avian. Serik applauded with loud claps and then turned to Leandra.

“Sorry for leaving earlier. That strange man had this talent of reeling one’s attention away... Anyway, I meant to ask you something. I have heard that you and Caliban are brother and sister in bond but not in blood. May I ask how did you two first meet each other?” Said Serik.

Featuring: Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius
FF9900

Last edited:
Interactions: Caliban, Serik
Nearby: Kari, Gerel, Aldalf, Serik, Caliban
Color: #FF9900

Hearing Caliban announce he would go next, Leandra leapt up onto her little fence post spot and leaned forward to watch his match. It seemed a bit awkward for the large eagle to try and throw off Caliban and Leandra knew that neither of them necessarily had experience riding any beasts like this before. Leandra still believed it was beginner's luck that got her through her first round.

Then she blinked and Caliban had earned his first victory. His attempt was smoother than most in that he did not sustain any injuries. Leandra grinned at this and whooped with the crowd, giving Caliban a friendly punch in the shoulder when he came over to her with a friendly elbow of his own.
"You were awesome out there! A real natural. Of course..." She flipped her ponytail dramatically, "You'll have to beat me next. I'm overdue for my next go at this."
Flexing her muscles dramatically, Leandra stuck her tongue out at Caliban.

Leandra then heard someone speaking directly to her and squealed in surprise when she turned around to see Serik by her again. She held a hand over her heart and exclaimed, "Don't just sneak up on someone like that, Serik! Gods, you'll give me a heart attack doing that."
Hearing his inquiry about her and Caliban, Leandra grinned and playfully pushed Caliban.
"Oi, this boy has caused me enough stress at this point in my life to be my brother, blood or not."
Leandra pretended to be thoughtful about how they first met and then said teasingly, "I met this knucklehead trapped in one of his own traps when I was out on a hunt in my early teenage years. He was too stubborn for his own good, and still is."

Naberius Naberius AncientBird AncientBird

Interaction: Kari, Gerel, Aldalf, Serik, Caliban, Leandra

Cal met Lea's competitive playfulness with his own good cheer and excitement, and he was truly having a great time of it. With one win under his belt, he was feeling rather confident in his own abilities.

"Well, we did wrestle the same Beasts together growing up, though this is somewhat different. At least they're not trying to eat us, though. I accept your challenge, dear sister, but be warned for I shan't be holding back."

Caliban added a bit of dramatic flare of his own to the statement, returning Lea's tongue out expression.

Once Serik joined them and asked about their past, Cal rolled his eyes. Lea loved to tease him about their first encounter years ago. It felt like an entirely different lifetime. He stumbled back a step from her push but only laughed it off. All in good fun. They teased and tormented each other all the time. That's just how siblings are.

"Hey, I'll have you know I had everything under control. I was not stuck , a master trapper does not get stuck in his own traps, thank you."

Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird

Time: During the party before... The Incident™
Characters: Gerel and Katja
Color- #daf599

"Then perhaps you can teach me more about herbs and first aid. I'm used to patching up sheep and goats, but that's nowhere near as close as doing what you do. Having another healer can help take some of the load off your shoulders," Gerel said, taking another sip of the milk. He smacked his lips once, happily reminiscing starry nights spent on windy plains with his parents.

Almost absentmindedly, he said, "I like your mask. It's good craftsmanship, and the stone shapers back in Estendor would agree. Did you make that yourself?"

The competition was heating up, and there would always be some who couldn't handle the heat. One of them was Aldaf, who challenged the strange snake skybeast with eyes nearly bulging out of its head-- Juju, so it was named. Just watching it wriggle around like that made Gerel feel nauseous. It looked like the beast was having a seizure, which was either a good tactic or a health concern. Finally Aldaf couldn't hold on and was thrown off. It was impressive how long he lasted in the air, even if the fall sounded painful. When he came back over to their side, Gerel gave him an appreciative nod of respect. He did not expect anything less from the one who kept pushing himself onward.

Cal was up next, and he was up against a giant black eagle named Horus, who reminded him of a larger version of Talon. Gerel considered how fun it would be shooting arrows from the back of a giant eagle swooping down from the skies above. The scenario was more stimulating than watching Horus dance around awkwardly in its feeble attempts to knock Cal off. The bell rang again, signalling Caliban's victory. He joined in the cheers, raising his fist in celebration of Caliban's first win. The moment was spoiled afterwards when he heard Leandra answer Serik's answer about their first meeting.

'A trapper caught in a trap. Wouldn't that be a sight,' Gerel thought, trying hard to keep from chuckling... and failing, so he tried to cover it with a cough.

When Kari offered a spot next to her atop Zephyr, two things stopped him from taking her up on her offer; one, Zephyr looked like he wanted to bite his head off the moment he stepped any closer, and; two, his named was up next in the competition.

He stepped into the fenced circle and found himself face-to-face with a giant flying... squirrel named Whiskers. Its eyes glittered in the light of the moon. Its not-so-tiny claws quivered and scratched at its head. On its back were two wings like a bat's, which was redundant because squirrels could glide using skin membrane between their limbs and technically squirrels couldn't fly and Gerel realized he was stalling because the sight before him was hard to comprehend. But the shouts of the crowd urged him forward. Shutting off the part of his mind that thought too much, Gerel mounted the beast as best as he could, wrapping his arms around a furry neck and pressing his thighs hard on its sides.

The bell rang, and almost immediately Gerel was thrown off if not for his body compensating to its utmost. The squirrel's movements were swift and erratic, scurrying all around the fenced area and making sharp turns whenever possible. Gerel's vision blurred and a dull pain grew inside his head. He found it hard to predict the beast's actions, and with the way it scurried within the fenced area. At the fourth and eight seconds (Gerel didn't know how he managed to keep count), Whiskers leaped high, nearly knocking him unconscious from the sheer force of movement.

Finally the bell rang one more time, signalling his victory. It didn't feel like a win however, with Gerel barely standing from how wobbly his legs were and how woozy his vision was. Compared to his earlier victory, his hair was a mess, and his clothes were disheveled. He wanted to hurl. The milk he drank earlier mixed with the other things he ate wanted to be free. But he held on tight, keeping his mouth shut... at least until he passed by Kari and the rest, found a nearby tree, and let loose the contents of his stomach.

Naberius Naberius AncientBird AncientBird kase9187 kase9187 Lioness075 Lioness075 SilverFlight SilverFlight

Last edited:
Currently present: Aldaf, Kari, Leandra, Gerel, Serik, Caliban

Serik chuckled at the picture of Caliban dangling in his own trap when Leandra told about her past with him. The subject himself arrived at the two just in the time to hear about his funny background. "Hey, I'll have you know I had everything under control. I was not stuck , a master trapper does not get stuck in his own traps, thank you." Said Caliban.

Serik laughed at Caliban's reaction. These two Sudentarians had him reminded of someone. "You know I like watching both of you interact with each other. It remind me of my dear friend, Timur. He's the oldest son of our closest neighbor in my home plain. His family often herd their camels with our sheep and Timur was my closest friend since I was very young... Well, he feels more like a big brother to me and he's a decade older as well." Serik started telling his tale about his friend. "He is a charming person, always cheerful and smile... Also often get himself into surprising amounts of trouble. Like that one time I and his girlfriend had to pull him away from trying one of those weird tea a shady merchant offered in the street of Ocris... And before he received his pegasus companion, he always tried to train camel bulls to ride instead of just getting a horse and get thrown off every single time... He also..." Serik said and looked at Caliban with a smirked. "...Also used to get trapped in his own moose snare because he refuse to believe me that he forgot where he set them up..."

Serik chuckled at the memory. "Ah... marvelous ol' Timur, the little magpie..." He said with a smile. Then, Serik relieved the last memory he had with this friend of his, the night he disappeared. Timur was there with him... "I wonder how he's doing... The last I saw him was the day I disappeared and lost my memory. He was with me in the middle of the wood, it was snowing lightly and his pegasus was injured. We were to set up camp and I went to fetch fire wood... I didn't remember anything after that until I woke up at the tent with all of us." Serik said, eyes saddened a bit even though he still kept his smile. "He would be really devastated, losing me under his care like that..."

Featuring: Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius
FF9900

Leandra was delighted to hear Caliban accept her challenge, mostly because she was overconfident that she would win her next round in the ring. Caliban always was reckless in how he handled challenges like this, surely he would slip up because of this.

Caliban attempted to defend himself and Leandra laughed with Serik at the attempt.
"Oh, really? Your face was red by the time I found you, so you must've been hanging out there for quite some time already."

Just then, Leandra heard someone entering the ring and glanced over to see Gerel going at it again. She waved off any further conversation briefly, as she focused on Gerel to see how he did. The Skybeast he was to ride was another odd one and Leandra was disturbed by its behavior. Gerel ended up winning the round, but he stumbled back towards the group, clearly dazed from the jerky movements. Leandra was considering going to check on him when Serik jumped into a story. Just as she shifted her attention to the story, she then overheard Gerel throwing up not too far away. Cringing at this, Leandra forced herself to not look, else she would probably end up joining him.

Shaking her head, Leandra listened intently to Serik's story about a dear friend of his. Leandra smiled, as she visualized his chaotic friend and was able to see the similarities between their relationship and her own with Caliban. As Serik concluded his story, Leandra's smile faded slightly. She understood the uncertainty and fear of what they missed in the past year, especially with her own misplaced memories of what may have happened to her real brother during their hunt together.
"Timur sounds like he was a truly great friend," she said before rubbing the back of her neck.
"I'm sure he's waiting for you back home with his pegasus Skybeast," she added, though her tone was hesitant now.
Pausing, Leandra continued more confidently, "He really sounds great, though. Perhaps we'll all get a chance to meet each other's families and friends after we go to Westeros. It's crazy to think we knew each other for a year and yet, here we are trying to get to know each other all over again. It makes you wonder what each person in this group must've meant to you before now."

Naberius Naberius YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro AncientBird AncientBird

Interaction: open kase9187 kase9187 YumenoTsukishiro YumenoTsukishiro Lioness075 Lioness075 AncientBird AncientBird Naberius Naberius
color: #ff9900

Kari rolled her eyes as Aldaf was lifted above her.
"Don't blame me if Spica sneezes and you break your neck." She teased him.

She applauded loudly when Caliban came back from his next match victorious.
"Nice form Cal." She praised, and made room as he came over the fence. Serik appeared to and Kari listened to the banter, laughing at the story of how the two adopted siblings met. Serik had some good stories too about his friend Timur, but Kari couldn't recall her good memories without remembering she no longer had the one she'd made them with, so Kari stayed quiet, and listened with a smile on her face as she saw how happy her new friends were

Gerel was up next and Kari felt her heart jump. His opponent didn't look like much, but when Whiskers began to move Kari knew immediately that he would be one of the toughest creatures to beat. Gerel won by a margin and he came off badly. Kari was over the fence and at his side in moments, supporting him as he stood shakily.
"Take it easy Gerel, there's no shame in feeling a little poorly after a fall like that."
She let him make his own way into the bushes, knowing full well the purpose (because she had been in that very same state more than once before after a bad fall). Her heart went out to him, it was never fun.
She was standing not far off when he returned, a water skin in her outstretched arm and a knowing smile on her face.

Characters: Marylka, Caliban Naberius Naberius

Marylka let out a sound halfway between a snort and a laugh when Caliban mentioned them nearly dying on the mountains. "We do seem to have an uncanny ability of getting ourselves into life-threatening situations. I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that we have Katja in the group... and magical healing powers apparently."

She wasn't sure she entirely agreed with everything he had said but could tell that he believed it with every fibre of his being. Before the proving, each one of them had led such different lives, had their perspectives shaped by varying circumstances, so who was she to argue whether someone else's point of view was right or wrong? Thinking back on her own worries, she realised a good number of it stemmed from her concerns of how others would judge her decisions and in turn judge her.

What would her parents think?
What would the Estendorians think?
What would her newfound friends think?

The answer to all those questions was quite simply, it didn't matter. The path she had chosen wasn't going to be easy and would likely have its share of consequences which she would eventually have to face, but she already knew all this and she chose it anyway because she knew it was the right one for her. It wasn't some impulsive decision she'd made at a moments notice. It was something she had though about for a long time.

Coming to this conclusion, she felt some of the weight taken off her shoulders. "Thank you, surprisingly, this talked actually did help in some ways." She stood up and flashed him a smile, a real one this time. "Right, I'm going to try and enjoy the rest of this party now." Suddenly remembering something she'd seen she added before leaving
"If you're looking for Katja, I saw her heading to the stalls just a moment ago."

Last edited:
Characters: Marylka, Caliban

"Certainly is a rather convenient time for super healing to be a thing we all have, huh? Just more and more mysteries and questions."

He shrugged, taking another bite of his apple skewer, he looked back at her.

"I've seen some strange things in my life. I spent every day of my childhood in the wilderness, the jungles of Sudenta. And in all that time I never once saw or heard of anything like what we experienced on that mountain. I've seen monsters, beasts and creatures of all shapes and sizes. Something tells me that life is about to get even more interesting for all of us."

Marylka stood and made to leave, her smile as bright as any one of his own.

"Oh, uh. Yeah. No problem. Thanks for the heads up. Oh and, Marylka? Don't ever let the judgement of others decide whether or not you chase your dreams. Stand tall and make the decisions that you fell are right and don't back down."

With that, he stood and made to follow Katja, unaware of just what was going to transpire in their future, but full of hope regardless.

Saturn_moon Saturn_moon

Time: After the assassin deathborn attack
Characters: Matthias and Ord

Ord waited for a few minutes before approaching Matthias, letting his temper simmer a little before speaking.
"If you could find it in your heart to give Keshka a little patience. She has a good heart really, she is just...a bit abrasive." He watched as the Northarian systematically went about crushing the orbs, and didn't move to stop him.
"We owe you more explanation than we have so far given, I'm sorry for that. The sensitivity of the information has left us a bit...tentative as to where it is spoken, I will try to clear things up when we have your friends properly tended, but for now, as an act of faith, you may ask me anything."
He opened both hands as if in surrender, his gentle smile never wavering from his lips or his eyes. He was genuine, in every sense of the word.

color=#4F82F9
Elenion Aura Elenion Aura

Matthias finished his latest swing, heard the satisfying, glass-breaking sound of another orb shattering beneath his blade, and wiped a lone trickle of sweat from his brow. He straightened at the sound of the other man approaching and without turning said, ”You are not Westerosi.”

Part of Matthias still recalled the sting of Keshka’s rebuke. That part was exhausted from repeated swings. Another, fresh part of Matthias heard Ord’s words, and found that he believed them. He turned to him then, but did not sheath his blade. There were still a few orbs left to go.

Matthias leveled an appraising look at the man. He seemed earnest, and that–Matthias found, somewhat to his surprise–was enough for him. For now. ”Perhaps she was raised by wolves?” Matthias mused, the merest hint of a smile tugging at one side of his mouth. Then he was serious once more.

”I... Do not know where to begin.” Matthias confessed. He had so many questions, and yet, in that moment, he could recall not a one. Or rather, he could recall them all, but his frenetic mind leafed over them faster than he could snatch them and pull them into words. Why did they all wake up in that tent together? Why had an entire year of their memories been wiped away? Why were skeletal undead creatures hunting them? It was too overwhelming to try and pick one thread to pull. Then he looked at his feet. Dust from the shattered orbs and little flecks of bone caked his boots.

”How does she command the creatures?”

color=#4F82F9

Ord shook his head gracefully.
"I am not. My family and my home are in Sudenta. I became a teacher at the academy because I am a proficient wind mage..." And as a demonstration he flicked a wrist and ruffled Matthias' hair with a gust. "...Among other things." His smile never wavered. He was baiting Matthias, almost playfully, to ask more questions.

At the jab to his partner Ord looked away, "Everyone has a story, Keshka's is...her own to tell, but she perhaps has more reason than most to be distrusting of people from the North."

Ord waited patiently for Matthias to think of his first question, nodding agreeably when he asked. That he knew he could answer.
"She can't." Ord said simply. "Keshka is the first and only one permitted to study the deathborn, and the magic that binds them to their life, and their atrocities. She has learned how to shut them down, as you saw, but she cannot command them, nor can she create them."

color=#4F82F9

Among other things..? Matthias pondered this. Did he mean to say that he could wield additional elemental magics? Matthias had never heard of such a thing. The very idea was preposterous. And yet, he had just witnessed the woman, this man’s companion, use a power unlike anything he’d ever seen, or thought possible, so perhaps it was time to rethink the meaning of the word... When the gust of wind mussed up his hair, Matthias was reminded that perhaps subtlety was not his strongest suit.

”Deathborn,” Matthias parroted the word, incredulous. ”You have a name for them?” These people knew about the monsters–the Deathborn–perhaps before the ten of them had awoken in the tent, perhaps long before, to have already conducted studies of them... His mind put the ugly pieces together in his head. ”If you knew creatures like that existed, why allow The Proving to continue? Why keep the truth a secret? You robbed the dead of a fighting chance at survival. For what?”

color=#4F82F9

"They've been attacking all of sky." Ord said, and the pain in his voice was apparent. "We thought at random...until they found you. Please believe me when I say that they haven't been any sighted anywhere near Arebos...until you completed your proving."
Then he seemed to realize what that implied.
"I'm not saying it's your fault!" He said quickly, "you had no idea they were hunting you, that much is clear...but whatever came before, we are here now, and we can't stop these creatures without knowing more about them...to do that, we need your help."
Ord took a tentative step forward and placed a gentle hand on Matthias' shoulder, his look pleading.
"You and your friends are...connected to all this...somehow. The scholars at the academy, including myself...we can't do this without you..."

color=#4F82F9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back