• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Timing: After the demon fight in the pub cellar
Interaction: Harian & Gabriel

Harian had tried to choose her moment carefully. What she'd seen of Gabriel's power during the fight with the pestilence demon had been enough to make her curious. She knew enough about him now not to be afraid of his power, but she had to know more about it. She was following behind him as he made his way down the corridor on one occasion.
"How'd you get enslaved by a goddess?" She asked in a less than subtle manner. "I mean, what the heck happened? Did you make a deal? Steal something from her? Is she just a jerk interfering with your meaningless mortal life?"
The djinn was clearly not used to interacting with others on an equal plane. Tact was not in her vocabulary.
Naberius Naberius

Gabriel had been on his way to the reading area, mind fully engrossed in running over every detail of every supernatural threat he knew of by heart. He needed to plan for their future encounters. There was no telling what sorts of enemies they would face and they all had to do their part. If he prepared enough, it might just give them the edge they need to survive their next battle. He never even heard Harian's footsteps behind him. Startled, he whirled around. He played her words back in his head. He sighed. He figured she would get around to asking about it sooner or later, but he had hoped for later. It wasn't a subject he was very comfortable with.

"It's....Not something I really talk about. At all really."

His demeanor changed. His usual smile wasn't present. Instead, he wore only pain and a quiet rage on his face.

"What part would you like to know about? How I threw my entire life away before I was even old enough to drink? The fact that the average lifespan of a Justicar is 10 years and my expiration date was up 2 years ago? Or that I'm the supernatural equivalent of a cheap screwdriver that you would pick up from a 99 cent store? That when I'm no longer useful, I'll be thrown away? By the end of this, I'll be gone. But it's not like anyone will care anyway. Just another dumb, dead human right? Good riddance."

With that, he turned on his heel and stormed off towards his room.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Last edited:
Time: Before the beginning, in hell.
Characters: Phillip and Thanatos
SilverFlight SilverFlight tagging you cause you're GM

"Are you ready?"

The voice seemed like a distant echo in Phillip's head. Maliciously ramming into the bone walls of his skull yet not finding his ears. He sat crumbled over, cradling his knees to his chest, head buried between them. The dark obsidian floor seemingly eating away at his skin. He shivered uncontrollably by the cold air, his teeth clattering at record speeds. The fire strewn about by the various torches that lined the cave walls only brought forth light but no heat. Such was his hell, this time, cold isolation being his punishment.

Suddenly another one of his torches went out. He didn't know why, couldn't really remember, but he knew that when all the torches went out they would come for him. They only ever came when it was dark.

The sound of the door dragging open filled the room and instinctively he bit his tongue until he tasted blood. Not again he wanted to say not now but the words never came. Instead the hollow taps of foot steps hitting stone filled the room. Each step sent an unconscious shiver down his spine. Slowly Phillip's head tilted towards the entrance of his prison, a dim light jetted in from the outside, his hand immediately rose to intercept it. Only between the creases of his fingers, and narrow eyes, did Phillip understand who was before him.

Two torches remained, both of the heatless flames fluttered freely from the draft breeze of his hell. The cloaked silhouette of a man paced down the stone slabs leading to Phillip. A relieved sigh escaped from his lips as he doubled over and began to crawl to Thanatos. It wasn't who he thought it'd be but that made all the difference. For a moment he escaped his fear. It was Phillip's fate to be reunited with his master. It was written by the three furies themselves. Finally, after Phillip had crawled to the steps he reached out for Thanatos, offering his hand.

"I'm ready," Phillip croaked; his mouth so dry it felt like he was chewing sand. "Free me Master." The cloaked figure did not reach for his hand, instead it simply floated past him, through him even, his hand fell from the air defeated.

"Master," he managed to say again "take me from this place....please." Phillip hated to beg but he'd swallow his pride this time. Anyone would given the circumstances.

The echo in his head came to him again. "They've chosen worse punishments for you before Phillip." Thanatos stated as a matter of fact, Phillip still kneeling before him, his eyes focused on the floor. "They showed you mercy and you'd not even realized." Suddenly Thanatos whirled directly in front of his face. Phillip stared coldly into the black shadow underneath his masters hood.

In the same way he didn't have one true eye color Thanatos didn't have one true face. Just swaths of windless shadows which twirled back and forth, creating a vague portrait for death itself.

"Why leave?" He asked, this time vocally, sparing his head the echoes. "Don't you think this hell will be better than the next?" Then, almost as if to prove his point another torch went out. The room was almost dark and panic forced Phillip to speak.

"Master," the cursed one said carefully "I don't understa-"

"Don't worry my child, I'll not leave you in darkness." The god of death said to him as if reading his mind. Phillip could've sworn he saw a brush of shadow form a smile on deaths face. "However this time will be different, my feud with the Furies now seems....meaningless. There are far more dangerous threats than Fate right now." As his master was speaking Phillip glanced over at the torch, it was still lit but for how long?

A firm hand clenched hard on his shoulder, picking him up effortlessly. Phillip's feet hit the floor and he stood for the first time during the encounter. His legs shaking all the while.

"What would you do for your soul?"

The cursed ones head rose, pain no longer etched his face. His all colorful eyes transformed into hopeful shades. "Anything," was the only word Phillip could muster in response, it was the only word he needed to justify the pain of countless lives. And countless hells.

Finally Thanatos freed his hand from beneath his black robes and offered it to Phillip. Whom reached out for his masters palm, he was almost free, almost....

Then the firm grip of his master betrayed him. Suddenly Phillip felt the rough texture of bones. He glanced down, quickly, to find himself holding the skeletal hand of Death itself.

"Good," Thanatos said aloud as he yanked his bone fist out of Phillip's clutches. As he did so the bone cut a deep gash in Phillip's palm. Blood dripped freely and spattered on the floor below.

The last torch went out and a massive horn echoed throughout Phillip's cave. He could no longer see Thanatos, but he felt his presence nearby. His heart began to beat rapidly, he breathed hard as his entrance to his hell began to open again. This time Phillip knew it'd be them. The distant sound of screams could be heard, others in their own hells, Phillip took a step back.

Then a whisper, behind him, directly into his ear.

"I'll see you soon," his masters voice followed by a sudden push forward. A fiery portal opened up at the last second before Phillip fell flat on his face.

He was free. His heaven awaited him in the mortal realm.

Time: The Genpei War, 1185, far before the beginning.
Place: Feudal Japan, a long forgotten Japenese village.
Characters: andujarprime andujarprime and his character Anubis, Egyptian God of the dead. The Velveteen Rabbit The Velveteen Rabbit and her character Kiyomi, a Kitsune fox spirit. Finally my character Phillip, a cursed soul, creation of Thanatos, Greek god of the dead.

"Sake!"

He yelled in between his coughs and heaves. The rooms candles casting shy light upon his face. Only a few witnessed what had happened. The feudal lord had paid a heavy price in the most recent battle, the slash across his abdomen had gotten infected.

His wife stepped hesitantly towards him, Phillip's drink in her hand. Without even giving the woman a glance he yanked the bottle from her and drank deeply. Choking a bit as he swallowed. Wiping his face roughly with his dark sleeve Phillip rose to his feet. The woman rushing towards him and helping him up.

The Samurai commander lay in his bed, tired and recovering from the injury. His wife stared open eyed at Phillip, a look he was used to among mortals.

"What are you?" She asked cautiously as she handed him his promised coin.

"It's best you don't know." He replied, his voice ragged and hoarse. "You're husband will be fine, given a couple days rest. As soon as he wakes I'd flee south, accross the naruga river, I fear the Taira clan will not spare this village." He then shouldered past her, not wanting to continue standing in pain. When he reached the doorway which lead downstairs the woman offered her thanks, which he returned with a nod.

As he left the first thing he noticed was the loud music. Entering the main room from the back stairway Phillip was greeted by the villages moonlight crowd. Beautiful Japenese dancers performed on the main stage, elegantly telling their wordless story to the sound of soft music. It was a comforting song to Phillip, the harmony brought peace to his aching bones.

Tables lined the room, drunken men told quiet stories to one another. Young lovers ate and whispered secrets as servant women filled drinks and brought food to the patrons. None however dared disturb the performance, not even Phillip.

Lost in his bodies new pain, courtesy of the samurai warrior upstairs, Phillip found a table to sit at. His hood was hung low over his face, he was an outsider among these people and he knew enough not to reveal himself or draw unnecessary attention his way.

He waited for a servant to come for him. For now he had his Sake bottle in hand and sipped it determinedly. It helped ease the pain coming from his abdomen.

The lingering thought of the Taira clan echoed in his mind.

Harian stood there for a moment, wondering if she should have been surprised. His reaction had made her think about what she would have felt, being in his place.
"H-hey, wait."
She caught up with him again.
"You're...I guess we're more similar than I thought...maybe."
There was a defense to her tone but it was weary. An internal battle had been worrying it, clearly, for a long, long time.
"10 years is...short for a human. Can you tell me why?"
She thought for a moment, then a wily smile crossed her face.
"You want to know more about djinn right? Yeah, don't think I didn't see those books you took out in NYC. So tell you what. You answer one question of mine, and I'll answer one of yours." She stepped up to the door of his room, waiting for him to open it. She wouldn't admit how curious she was to see the inside of it.
"Deal?"

Naberius Naberius

Gabriel stopped, his hand paused on the knob to his bedroom door. He stood in silence for a few moments before looking back at her.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. You didn't deserve that."

Another pause. He looked like he couldn't decide which words would make the most sense, going over them all in his head slowly. Finally, he smiled. It was a sad smile, one that didn't quite reach his eyes.
"I never thanked you for earlier. You have a keen awareness of the emotions of others, even if you don't want to admit it or even realize it for yourself. So thank you. And I should have realized you noticed the book. You have sharper eyes than I gave you credit for. But is it so wrong for me to want to learn more about my friend? And yes, we're friends. Live with it. I'm like glitter, once I'm here you'll never be rid of me."

He turned the handle to his room, opening the door wide and stepping in, holding it open for her.

"C'mon before anyone sees and starts making bad jokes."

His room was...Different. It was large. The room they stood in was more like a second living room. A sectional couch sat to the right against the wall, directly across from a large wall mounted television. The walls were a pale off-white color, similar to parchment. Large shelves of books lined the far wall opposite the door. In the rear near the shelves was another door that led to his real bedroom. The main room was an open space. In the corner to the left of the entrance sat a large, ornate oak table with matching chairs. Something one would see in a fantasy novel. Everything smelled like books and well-worn leather bindings. Like an old library. The floor was hardwood, well polished and maintained.

"Well, welcome to Chateau De Gabriel. It's not much, and it's not very fancy. But it's home I guess."

He shut the door behind them, walking over to the table and pulling out a chair for her, and taking his own seat. He contemplated his next words thoroughly, as he had before. This was a very delicate and sore subject for him. One he disliked talking about greatly. But with what they would have to face in the future, she was going to find out soon enough anyway. He sighed heavily and looked her in the eyes.

"There are a number of reasons why a Justicar doesn't last very long. Mainly, the job is very brutal on a human body. You fight a one-man war against darkness. Every day is another threat you have to deal with. Sometimes, if the job doesn't kill them, then they do. Some would rather end it themselves than have to deal with the constant loneliness and horrors that come with it. And yeah, 10 years is incredibly short. Even for humans."

He looked contemplative for a moment, a curious smile crossing his face as he reflected on everything that had happened up to that point, all the conversations and exchanges that had passed between them.

"You care for others a lot more than you would like to admit, don't you? You don't have to keep your armor up around me, you know. We're friends. I've always got your back. That's what friends do. Whether you want it or not, you have my support. Just because I haven't lived nearly as long as most of you doesn't mean I can't do my part to watch out for you. We're a team. And hell, by the end of this, if we make it out alive, we'll be more like a family than you think. You don't get to fight a war to save the world together without growing close. So get accustomed to the idea of having friends at your side. Or at least me. Because I don't abandon people. No matter what happens, no matter who or what might threaten us, I have your back Harian. That's a promise."

Last edited:

"You're right," Harian shrugged, then she threw him a wicked grin. "I might deserve worse."
On her ability to read him Harian smiled. "Empathy is a very good tool for self-preservation." She would let him take of that what he would. There was a lot Harian could not say, part of her wondered if this little game was such a good idea, the other part was convinced it was the only good idea.
She stepped in and her eyes automatically drifted about the elegant room. She had learned to tell a lot about humans from the things they surrounded themselves with. Gabriel however, was still wholy a mistery.
Harian forwent the offered chair, instead flopping down on the couch, hands behind her head. Despite her nonchalant demeanour, her jewel-green eyes were fixed on him, reading more than just what he said.
She let him explain justicars and why the job was so deadly. In the short silence that followed Harian regarded him with a new thoughtfulness.
"Why you though? That was my question. How does a happy-go-lucky, sunshine, rainbows human like you get involved in slaughtering the most evil things in this damn dimension? It doesn't make sense to me."

It didn't take long for Gabriel to go on the attack and Harian groaned. "That was your question?"
She crossed her arms and glared, but the glare softened after a while. She took a moment more to answer. A deal was a deal, after all.
"I used to care justicar. It's hard to get attached to humans that can murder you with a word if you don't realize their twisted plots, but...there might have been others..."
She met his eyes again and there was a warning reflected in that captivating green.
"I learned pretty quickly that it only lead to bad things. Mostly, for the humans."
There was that word again. 'Friends'.
"You keep saying that." Harian grumbled irritably. "You have no idea what that really means...you're not asking the right questions human."

He had her back did he? She had heard it before, but saying so wouldn't do a thing.
"I...appreciate the sentiment, but...You can't have my back." She said softly. It looked like she wanted to say more, but her lips stayed pressed.

"My turn." She said finally. "How does your contract work? How was it made?"

Naberius Naberius

He smiled. A wolfish grin, all teeth.

"Can't? You forget one crucial detail. I'm human. We don't give a damn if someone says something can't be done. We do it anyway. We don't operate on logic. We follow our hearts. Our instincts. We went to the damn moon in a metal tube filled with explosive material. We power our cars with explosions. We fire bits of metal at each other with tiny explosions. We fly giant metal birds through the sky at 30000 feet. We piss in the face of gods every day just by existing. You say 'can't'. I say bring it on. Nothing you say or do can change my mind. I told you when we first met. I'm very, very stubborn."

He flipped his chair around, sitting in it backwards and resting his chin on the back, arms crossed around it.
"Why me? You'd have to ask the Olympians. Still not sure if they were just taking any offer they got or if fate sent me there for a reason. As to the how of the matter, I was always a curious kid. I was always convinced that there was something more to the world than what we were told. I was so obsessed with the thought of the Supernatural and paranormal that it drove me forward. I excelled in academics, learned everything I could and graduated with a perfect GPA. But I only did it because it was a means to an end. I gathered all the information I could and one day I finally found the thread that lead me here. In my rush to learn, my lust for knowledge, I found myself in an ancient Greek temple dedicated to Adrestia. And it was there that I saw a God for the first time. I've seen dozens since then, but the first time was..... Intimidating. Like gazing into the void of space with nothing around you for millions of miles. You feel small. Insignificant. The feeling passed eventually and I realized that the majority of gods have their heads so far up their own asses they can taste what they had for breakfast a year ago. I sold my freedom away that day. For the answer to a single question. 'What is the true nature of the world?'. I regret it every day of my life. I never got to experience what being a human is like. I'm just some weapon of the gods now. Weapons don't get to refuse to strike or kill. And weapons don't get happy endings. We break."

Last edited:

Harian listened to the tirade of determination, disbelief piling up onto her face. When he had finished Harian let the silence fill in. Quietly, she started to laugh. It grew louder until she was laughing out loud just as she had done in the pool after throwing him in.
She was smiling when she looked at him again, but there was a sadness behind her eyes she was making a conscious effort to mask.
"Geez, you won't ever quit will you?" She raised her hands in defeat. "You know what? Fine. If it will spare me another ridiculous preaching session, you can call us friends."
She pointed at him with a narrow-eyed stare. "That doesn't mean I'm going to be any nicer to you."
She listened as he described his experience at the temple. Two fingers slowly went to her forehead in fatigued patience as he finished.
"Yeah." She answered quietly. "...we do."
Harian then shook herself out of the dour mood they had slipped into. "So, it sounds like you fell into one of the classic supernatural blunders, second only to 'don't give a gremlin food after midnight', and that is; 'don't ask for anything from a god.'...you really are a moron, you know that? What did she answer you?...If it was '42' you got scammed."
Harian paused and thought for another moment. "So, you'd undo it...if you could? You know sometimes gods can change their minds."
There was only one more short pause before she kicked the leg of his chair hard, a smile across her face.
"You're shit at this game! There wasn't even a question in there!"
Naberius Naberius

"A moron? Absolutely. The biggest. And I'd never ask you to be nicer. People might think you were going soft. "

Gabriel cracked a smile and gave her a knowing wink.

"She never gave me an answer, persay. She gave me a choice. I could work for her, righting the wrongs of the world and protecting the innocent from the things that lurk in the dark corners of our reality. I would be free to seek out my own answers so long as I agreed to obey her summons. And so here we are. Would I give it all up if I could? I don't know. The truth is, I've been able to do good in the world since then. REAL good. Yet no one will ever know. But maybe it's better that way. The world would unravel if they ever found out about our side of life. Let the sleepers stay asleep. If I have to give up my own freedom for a chance to keep people safe, so be it."

He met her eyes, great sadness clear in his gaze. His ice blue met her Emerald green and he smiled sadly.

"At least I got to choose..."

He perked up a bit at her outburst, a genuine smile this time.

"You're not a vending machine. If you have questions I'll answer them to the best of my ability. You're bound to find out the answers yourself eventually anyway. I don't need anything in return. Some of us don't expect to be rewarded for something so minor. If there's something you feel I should know, you'll tell me. That's how this works. I don't do nice things because I expect something in return. I do it because I want to."

He sat back in his chair, ready for any further questions she may have. They were already here, he didn't mind staying a little longer.

I have absolutely no idea why I enjoy spending time with this woman. Maybe I just like bugging her? It doesn't hurt that she's kind of cute when she smiles. WHAT?! Where did THAT come from?! Gah. I need some sleep. I'm obviously going entirely insane. I need a vacation....

Gabriel's complacency in the entire thing made her angry. What did he see in the human race that made him want to subjugate himself...when he had a choice?
Her irritation showed on her face, but when she spoke, her tone was quiet. "Well, if it's worth anything...I know what you're doing."

"At least I got to choose..."
Harian nearly sprang to her feet. "Don't you dare pity me." Harian snapped, but there was no edge in her voice. "As soon as my master makes one mistake, I'll end him and get the hell out of this mud-soaked purgatory you call home."

She studied him as he gave his final answer. "So you're really not going to ask me anything? Not even after I offered? No wonder you got scammed by a goddess."
Harian heaved a sigh, wondering how much she could get away with telling him.
"Let's recap the textbooks then: Djinn are begins from another plane. Due to our non-physical true forms we have the ability to change shape in this dimension. It's a weird form of magic that your world's physics can't quite grasp. Don't ask me to explain the science. Our true forms generate heat naturally and we can control it. It's why we like hot and dry, like deserts, and hate cold and damp. Sometimes the walls between our two worlds thin, and we can influence the other side. We did this a lot apparently thousands of years ago, messing with caravans deep in the desert and starting the myths. Everything changed though, when one of your kings was gifted the power to reach over and mess back. He used his power to steal our names, and with a rune-set gem, hidden in a ring, bound us against our wills. The first djinn slaves. From there, our names were recorded in texts, each spirit wrenched from our home written, so others could call upon them. In our own plane, we can't die...but here..."
Harian couldn't entirely hide the fear. Death frightened her, more than anything else did. She had existed with the knowing that she would continue to exist, and now, she was faced with the reality that it could end. That terrified her. The nothingness that the concept of death brought, it chilled every bit of her essence. She moved on.

"Bindings have to be done very carefully, the enslavement is only as good as the contracts used to do it. If instructions are poorly-written or too vague, a djinn could purposefully misinterpret them, usually to the unfortunate annihilation of the summoner, and before you ask, yes. Given the chance I would kill my summoner without a moment's hesitation."
Harian continued as if she had not just promised murder. "Your standard summoning includes things like "You can't hurt the summoner" but even then they usually don't reveal their faces to us, and they never reveal their names. If a djinn gets a summoner's name, we can counteract any death spell they might have woven into the contract should we fail to complete a task. Yeah, that's right, we must complete the contracted tasks on pain of excruciating death. There are no take-backsies.
"
Harian examined her nails nonchalantly, as if she was discussing the weather, and not the slow and methodical extermination of her race.
"Most sorcerers taught to use our names are also taught that we're monsters. Demons. Sub-human and not capable of real thought or feeling. But even so, they know we can feel pain, because they're all too happy to use it liberally to bend us to their will. If you face a djinn in battle, you can be confident in knowing that anything you could do to them, would not be half as terrifying as what's waiting for them if they fail. Gabriel...if you meet a djinn on the opposite side, ending their life would be a mercy." She fixed him with a dead-serious stare. "So don't you dare hesitate."
She let those words hang in there air for a moment.
"So, besides being a lapdog to a Greek deity, what do you do for fun?"
Naberius Naberius

Gabriel listened intently, taking in everything. With every word, his grip on the back of the chair increased. The wood began to crack under the pressure, his eyes flashing a deep black for a moment. His knuckles grew pale white with the force of his crushing grasp on the wood. When she had finished, he simply stood. Quietly, he began to gather his things. His handgun. His duster. A shotgun that was concealed underneath the table. He headed into the bedroom attached to the room they currently occupied and returned with a beautifully ornate katana. An inscription along the side of the grip read 'Masamune' in ancient Kanji. When he had everything he needed, he grabbed the chair, which now had a very noticeable imprint from his hand, and placed it directly in front of her before sitting back down.

"I believe I changed my mind. I DO have a question."

When he spoke, he did so softly. But the words carried a burning fury the like of which he had never shown in the presence of others before. The joy, hope, and love of life were gone, replaced by pure indignation. The face of a man who was about to slaughter another.

"Where? Where can I find this person? Do not mistake my words for pity. It is sympathy. And lest you forget, Adrestia is not just the goddess of the balance between good and evil. She is also the goddess of righteous retribution. And no intelligent being should be enslaved in such a way. Regardless of why they have chosen to do so, their actions are wicked and thus should be punished. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. You will not kill the one who summoned you here. I will. To strip a being of their freedom is punishable by the will of the gods. I will strip them of their life in exchange for their transgressions. I had no idea it was so bad or I would have began this task long ago. I have failed you and others like you. And for that I am sorry."

He stood and returned the chair to its place in the corner. He walked to the shelves of books along the wall and removed several small leather bound journals each inscribed with a greek letter representing a sequential order. The letters were in Gabriel's own handwriting. Lists of contacts he had made, bestiary entries for things he had hunted before, all the data he had recorded from the past 12 years. He was going to put it to use.

"If you are unable to answer this question, I will bother you no further. I have ways of tracking down individuals who are learned of the arcane arts. Contacts from past jobs I've done. One of them will be able to at least point me in the right direction."

He sat at the table with 4 different journals and began to rifle through them quickly, stopping every once in a while on certain pages of interest.

Harian tried to ignore the subtle signs of anger in Gabriel's body, but when he rose without a word she couldn't hide the mild alarm on her face.
When he came back from his room with a katana Harian stood up urgently.
"Whoa, steady on there Last Samurai."
No one could empathize with that anger better than Harian, but she had also had millennia to settle with the facts.
She moved to stand in his way, putting a gentle hand against the buttons of his shirt, only to realize what she'd done and recoil quickly. She let him sit.
The sudden disappearance of his light and jovial nature made her realize that she had been drawn to it.
"You've probably already guessed that I can't tell you." The look in her eyes told him that she would have loved nothing more than to had him an address and pay for the cab. Then his tone and speech changed...Great, here we go again.
"Oh would you give it up with the rightious bullshit?" Harian was exasperated now. "I can't tell which part is actually you and which is that bitch of a goddess...and stop talking like a friggin' Templar. It's weirding me out."
Harian crossed her arms, standing pointedly over his shoulder as he sat with the books. "You don't owe me a thing. You don't owe anyone a thing. You've got this perverted idea that you're responsible for all the wrongs done in the world? Well you're not, and shitty things are going to happen every day, mostly to people who don't deserve it. Sometimes, there isn't a damn thing you can do but watch...trying to care about all the injustice is going to drive you mad." She turned away from him, "...and I don't want to see that, thanks."
The silence poured in between them and Harian hated it.
"You know what you can do?" She offered tentatively. "You can keep being your own, idiot self...that...helps...so? What do you do for fun?"

Naberius Naberius

Gabriel sat quietly at the table. He no longer turned pages, just stared down at them blankly. Not taking in anything. All at once, he deflated. His shoulders sagged, his head hung low. He let out a sigh that seemed to rattle his entire body. He brought his hands to his face, acting as though he were rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He tried in vain to hide the quiet tears. The silence dragged on for what felt like an eternity. When he spoke he did so quietly. But the anger had drained from his tone.

".....Netflix...I watch a lot of movies...and read. And I train and meditate when I can. And I occasionally enjoy playing boardgames. Though I've never really had anyone to play with... I haven't exactly had friends since I was a kid. It's hard to make connections when all you do is kill. Sometimes I like to just go for a walk in a quiet place. Enjoy nature trails and other out of the way locations where people don't often go.
And lately I've.... Taken a liking to talking to others...."

Gabriel remained seated, staring down at the journals he had assembled. His personal addition to the memoirs of a bloody, endless war that had raged on since the dawn of time.

"What about you? You know, besides insulting and pestering me?"

He finally looked up. His eyes were red, though not the red of his divine gifts. Red from the constant rubbing. Red from the great sadness sitting in the pit of his stomach like a lead weight. But his smile had returned, somewhat. It was lighter than usual, but it was there.

Harian thought for a moment. The list he'd given was definitely something to work with. Then she grabbed the edge of his coat collar and tugged on it gently.
"Hey, come with me." She headed for the door.

Harian lead the way downstairs, past the healing pool and the kitchen and into the living room. There was a small door down three steps behind the couch, tucked into a little corner of the room. It lead out to the rolling hills that could be seen from the huge bay windows by the television.
She pulled the door open and they were immediately accosted by the scent of fresh, mountain air.

The hills were real, and the grass was lush and soft and peppered with small flowers. In the distance the clouds partially-hid jagged mountain peaks. Harian shifted into a gazelle and bounded out farther, leaping once, as high as she could go and changing into a crow to wing around and back. Being out here almost felt like freedom.
She hovered over Gabriel's head as he caught her up.
"How's this for nature?" She called down with a laugh.

Naberius Naberius

When she approached, Gabriel had no idea what was going on. His first thought was he was about to be punched. Then she grabbed his collar and gave it a little tug and had him follow her.

"What are you...?"
But she had already walked out of the room. He quickly stood and walked after her, shutting the door on his way out. They walked back out towards the front and past the pool area.

"Where are we...?"

She turned a corner before he could finish. He picked up the pace, now only a few feet behind as she walked up and opened the door. When he got his first look outside, his breath caught in his chest. It was absolutely beautiful. Like nothing he had ever seen before. True, untouched nature.

He stepped outside, the wind occasionally brushing the hair from his face and causing his coat to flap around gently. His mouth had dropped open in astonishment. The lush waves of emerald green grass, the clouds like giant perfectly white cotton balls, the scent of wildflowers and the crisp, refreshing air. It was a symphony of delight for all of his senses.

"It's.... Perfect..."

He smiled wide, the joy so often readily available from him bubbling back to the surface. This was why he fought each and every day with everything he had. This was what he sought to save. And those who would covet such beauty.

"I think I just fell in love with this place. And I'm suddenly tremendously jealous of you being able to fly."

He removed his coat and placed it inside before shutting the door behind them. He walked a ways out and lay down in the soft grass, his arms spread wide as he stared into the beautiful blue sky, gazing out at the perfect clouds and watching the occasional bird fly by overhead.

Paradise. This place is a true paradise on earth. I could lay here forever, just watching the sky. I bet the stars are lovely at night from up here, so far away from what we call civilization.

Last edited:

The crow cawed loudly in delight. "You should see the look on your dumb face! Ha!"
Harian floated down to him and in a whirl of black mist reverted back to her smug, human form.
He lamented the fact that he did not have the ability to fly.
"Sucks to be you." She grinned.
Harian sat in the grass beside him, one leg brought up to her chest.
Jophiel showing her this place had made her just slightly less eager to have the world end.
She was watching Gabe lie there now, watching the expression on his face. That was much better. Harian decided that it wouldn't be the worst thing, if she went out of her way to get that expression again.
Naberius Naberius

Gabriel folded his arms under his head and sighed. He was content to just lay there as long as he could.

Good company, beautiful views. Maybe sticking around wouldn't be so bad after all.

He glanced over as Harian sat down, and he smiled. She had shared this moment with him. She didn't have to do that. He decided then and there that no matter what happened, as long as he had his friends at his side, he would carry on. And maybe seeing her smile every once in a while was OK too.

Piss on that 'expiration date' crap. They'll have to pry this life from my cold hands. I'll kick and scream and scratch and bite. I won't just sit by thinking my life is just some tool for a higher power. I'll find my freedom. And I'll help her find hers. Because we BOTH deserve it.

Suddenly, he sat up, propping himself up on his elbows. He turned to his friend, looking her right in the eyes.

"I just had a wonderful idea. You wana watch a movie? We got that huge TV in the living room. I'll even make popcorn. We got all day to relax. And as much as I'd love to spend it out here just laying around in the grass, there are other ways to enjoyably pass the time. I'll even set up Netflix for us. We can binge watch terrible movies all night."

Time:The Genpei War, 1185, far before the beginning.
Place: Feudal Japan, a long forgotten Japenese village.
Interaction: Anubis, Philip, Kiyomi, Nero

Anubis sat in a dark corner. The music and chattering filling the air, and in turn his head. For most of the night at least. He was able to push back the voices, but not completely, and not for long. It was always like this when he was near battlefields, or places of great death. He hated it, but he understood. So many lost souls waiting to cross over. Waiting to be judged, to move on. He understood his job all too well, but that didn’t make it easier. Times like this he would rather bury his mind in drink and food. Oh food. Nourishing, entertaining, sustaining, all important, all around amazing food. He held his small cup in hand, two bottles of sake tipped over empty, and a third halfway gone. He knew he shouldn’t be this way. Not right now, he had work to do. And the night was just beginning. Death was on it’s way, he could feel it. He sighed in resignation. He had already paid for the third bottle, might as well finish it. He lifted the cup to his lips and smiled realizing it was empty. He shook his head and made to fill it, but the bottle slipped from his hand, clattering to the table. Even through the noise in the place, it sounded loud to him. He winced in reaction, and flinched when he went to pick it up and a hand stopped him. One of the house girls smiled at him and offered him some water. He nodded, and asked for some food. She frowned and looked at him in confusion. He repeated his order twice before she shook her head. “I’m sorry what? I can’t understand” he got s blank look on his face as it dawned on him. Just because he could understand her Japanese, he needed to respond in turn. In his drunken state he had reverted to his ancient tongue. He cleared his thought and repeated his request in Japanese. She smiled in understanding and left. “Damn, i cant be that far gone right?” He said to himself mostly as he sat awaiting his water and food. His eyes roamed the sake house, inspecting the patrons he could see in the light then moving on. Soon his water arrived in a pitcher accompanied by an empty cup. “I’ll be right back with your food” she informed him, to which he nodded and smiled. His thoughts returning to him when food was mention and cold water touched his lips. He sat there thinking of the task ahead. Willing himself to clear his head.

MrBossMan MrBossMan The Velveteen Rabbit The Velveteen Rabbit Crazy Trey-n Crazy Trey-n

Harian listened to Gabriel's proposition. She grinned. "As long as it's not Dr. Who, you've got a deal."
She threw her arms wide. "Dr. Who is all that stupid angel watches! I swear!" She laughed.
"The magician who summoned me made me study for four months to catch up on everything I had missed since...oh, I think it was the American Civil War. You humans have been up to some crazy things since then. Movies are fantastic. Well...most of them."
After a while her expression turned puzzled and she looked back at him. For all her research, one word he'd said failed to register:
"What's...popcorn?"
Naberius Naberius

Time: After the demon fight in the pub cellar
Interaction: Jophiel & Phillip

There was a man that was surrounded with an aura of death. He'd come in with the others but Jophiel had no idea who he was. He'd helped fight the demon, he'd had a hand in saving the angel's life. Joph wasn't about to criticize the djinn's call to hand him a card, likely he would have become involved anyway. Someone else had wanted him there.
Jophiel sat in the kitchen, at the island on a bar stool, flipping through a newspaper. He still read newspapers and he did not have a phone, despite all of Harian's teasing.
The sun poured though floor-to-ceiling windows, illuminating his white-blonde hair and giving the semblance of the halo his kind had always been depicted with.
He had asked Philip to join him for breakfast, and a tall stack of steaming pancakes sat beside the newspaper on the granite countertop, along with a plate of butter, a jug of maple syrup and a small pot of jam.
The clock on the wall ticked by the seconds. It was one of those kit-cat clocks with the moving eyes and swinging tail. Harian had picked it up at a yard sale in Oregon one day, and put it up in secret. Jophiel hadn't told her immediately but he'd rather liked it. It gave the room a bit of personality, the thought.
MrBossMan MrBossMan

Last edited:

For a moment, Gabriel just stared. The look of shock and disbelief was very clear. Then, he grinned from ear to ear ad he sprang to his feet. Giggling excitedly like a child about to show off their cool collection to their classmate, he hurried over to the door.

"Oh man you are missing out on something magical. You CAN'T watch a movie without popcorn. It just isn't done. I'm gonna blow your mind."

He ran inside, not even closing the door behind him as he rushed into the kitchen. He rummaged through every inch until he found what he needed. He snagged several bags of microwave popcorn and got everything started. He found the biggest bowl he could and when it was finished popping, he filled the bowl up. He took the whole thing back to Harian, holding it out like it was a national treasure. The smell wafting from out of the kitchen was heavenly. The bits of popcorn were golden with butter.

"I can't believe I actually get to introduce you to popcorn, you are gonna love this."

Interaction: Harian, Gabriel & Zoya

Exploring her new home had been interesting, so many things to seek out and certainly at least one thing to ignore, but she was happy. Zoya had wandered into the kitchen with a content smile on her face as she scanned the room, before the peaceful nature was disturbed and Gabriel had darted in looking quite manic. She’d watched in a surprised silence as he grabbed a big bowl and filled it to the brim, a smirk quirking on her lips as she laughed at him. Following him out to the door he’d left open, she cocked her head as she spied the scene laid out in front of her and she listened.

“You’ve never had popcorn?”
She called out from the doorway, her eyes lit with curiosity as she smiled at the two, “You definitely need to try it, I hear it’s even better over a movie.” She winked playfully, sauntering out after them, a laugh bubbling in her chest as she saw how excited Gabriel was over the prospect of introducing Harian to popcorn. It was quite an adorable sight.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Naberius Naberius

As the excitement built on Gabriel's face, Harian's expression became more worried. She gave the man an up-and-down stare as he sprang to his feet and watched him rush for the door. She stood slowly, curiosity getting the better of her. For all his giddy energy, he still hadn't told her what it was.
When he came back holding a massive bowl, Zoya in tow with a smile on her face Harian finally understood.
"It's food." She stated, but as the scent caught her nose she found herself taking a deep breath in. It did smell good.
Ayramis has been the one to introduce her to food. She couldn't believe she'd been missing out for thousands of years! Now it seemed to be one of her greatest pleasures to try new things to eat.
She picked a kernel out and held it daintily between two fingers.
Her eyes went wide. "I didn't know corn exploded like that!"
She glanced at the pair of them, her eyes narrowed in dubious contemplation. "So...you eat it...just like this?"
With only a moment's more hesitation, Harian tasted it. She blinked. Then Harian looked back at the bowl in surprise. "This is good!"
She took a handful and began tossing the kernels into her mouth. "Thiff if weally goo'."
Harian finished her handful and then slowly moved to take the bowl from him.
"So, I'll hold this. You go get a movie. What're we watching?"

Naberius Naberius Feywild Feywild

Interaction: Harian, Gabriel & Zoya

"It's not JUST food, it's a time honored tradition passed on for generations of movie-goers. It is also tradition to eat about 2 thirds of it before the opening credits roll but we have Netflix so we'll be skipping that bit. The wonders of modern technology."

Gabriels body language was easily identified. He was nearly exploding with excitement and joy. He didn't notice it himself, being caught up in the moment. But anyone with any sense could easily tell he was having a blast. More so than normally would be called for in such a situation.

"I was gonna see if you wanted to pick something. Anything but horror, I've killed things scarier than any movie monster Hollywood could ever come up with. It's unfortunate, I haven't been able to enjoy a creature feature in years. Once you've fought the real deal it's just not very convincing anymore. Though we could always go for a nice action flick. Ever seen John Wick? Keanu is my hero."

He paused.

"If you make another matrix joke I swear I will throw you in the pool."

He turned to look at Zoya, smiling and looking mildly embarrassed. He had completely forgotten to say hi and felt bad for it.

"Hey, what's up? You wana join us for a movie? We can watch pretty much anything. We'll take turns picking whatever looks good."

SilverFlight SilverFlight Feywild Feywild

Users who are viewing this thread

Back