• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Timing: Before the beginning
Interaction: Harian & Gabriel

Harian had a lot of security to bypass. Apparently this place was warded against spirit slaves being ordered to pilfer secret texts. She could understand that, she had been ordered to pilfer secret texts many a time, just not this one.
Harian changed into a wasp and flew to one of the air vents at the top of the alcove. Many of the spells were size-limited, no problem, as a wasp she could slip through the tiniest break in the sigil lines. Then came the warding spells, and the tool that angel had given her saw to those, masking her essence for a few seconds, long enough to fool the barriers into thinking she was something mortal. Too easy. She was through the vents and dropped onto the floor was a thin, black weasel and...something snapped about her leg.
Harian stared at the trap spell indignantly. It was low level, only second-tier binding glyphs. It didn't even have an area of enactment. The being literally had to step on it, but...
"I don't believe this..." She muttered irritably. She had stepped on it, not expecting something so primitive...and it would hold her until someone broke the lines and let her go.
Suddenly a voice spoke over her.
"Is it really too much to ask for someone to have written 'An Idiots Guide To Ancient Evil Assholes'?'"
Harian looked up and there, towering over her was the human she had been told to find.
"Yes apparently." She answered him in as loud a voice as a weasel could muster. "And if you keep talking to yourself like that people will think you're crazy."
Naberius Naberius

Time: Before the beginning
Interaction: Hayle & Harian

"Djinn don't eat." Harian replied. "Fun as it sounds; burning things and putting them into one of your head holes."
She shook her fur out gratefully when Hayle dampened her powers.
The demon asked her a valid question. "Hmm, yep, that is a very good thing to ask. You know who you should ask? The angel that sent me. I'm just the messenger Frosty, m'kay?"
She realized that probably wasn't the best way to get the demon curious. "Look, you don't need powers to feel what's happening right? Even the humans can feel something's up, and most of them are so blind they're making bats jealous."
The panther cast her bright green eyes up at the cloudy ceiling above. "Seems like those feather-dusters need help...from everyone. So..." She held the card out, "Are you gonna find out what this is for?"
GamerCarrot GamerCarrot

Interaction: Harian and Nero

Harian's eyes were dancing with mischief as Nero tried to take the card and she pulled it just out of his reach. He called her out on avoiding the question.
"Impolite?" She asked in a mock-fascinated tone, "really?"
As he leaned in she leaned back, keeping the card just in front of his fingers, drawing him closer, much closer.
They were face to face now, and the djinn's smile lost none of its dangerous playfulness. He was close enough that she could whisper:
"My name is Harian."
She pressed the card into his hand and stepped back.
Crazy Trey-n Crazy Trey-n

Last edited:

Gabriel jerked around towards the entrance, a 'deer in the headlights' look plastered on his face. He stared, blinked a few times and rubbed his eyes before looking back. Did...did that weasel just talk? Wait...why was there a weasel in a library? Gabriel sat silently for what felt like hours but in reality was only a few seconds.
"Great, now I'm seeing and hearing things. I've got to stop pulling all-nighters."

He stood and walked over to the creature, not fully understanding what exactly he was looking at. He bent down to get a better look, trying to figure out if he had been poisoned or if this was just a sleep-deprivation fueled hallucination. As he stared, he noticed something. It was the eyes that gave it away, far too intelligent for a wild animal. He realized all too slowly that he was not going insane, and that he was, in fact, being very rude indeed.
"Oh. Uh...Well, I guess you're not a figment of my half deranged imagination. And I should probably start by apologizing for just staring at you for forever and a day."

Gabriel cracked an awkward smile and stood back up. He took a couple steps back, still silently wondering what exactly he was dealing with. It didn't seem hostile. In fact, it hadn't moved at all. Was it perhaps stuck, he thought? Finally, it dawned on him and he noticed the local warding had been activated. Though he had little experience in practice with arcane workings, he was quite familiar with them from his extensive studies. Walking around behind the creature, Gabriel scuffed out part of the circle with the toe of his boot.

"That should be a bit better. Guess they have at least some sort of mystical defense in this place. Makes sense, I guess. Though it's not like this place has anything that valuable to protect, mostly just copies of copies. And uh...Yeah, I probably talk to myself a bit too much. Though in my defense, it's not like this is the popular kids' hangout spot. I get used to being alone with my thoughts."

Gabriel made his way back over to the desk he was occupying and spun the chair around to face the entrance and the new visitor. Propping one leg up over the other, he leaned back, still smiling like an idiot.
"Name's Gabriel, by the way. And who might you be?"

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Hayle sighed it was apparent that she wasn't going to get much out of this Djinn since they were just a messenger "Alright alright I get the hint... ya know if I was allowed up there I would've just asked them about what's going on anyway... the world feels strange right now and I don't like it" she said in a worried tone, looking down at the card the panther held she took it out of its paw. She glanced at it and stood up, brushing the snow off her body "Ya know what... I think I will. Tell your Angel that I'll help out and the name is Hayle by the way its a pleasure to meet you kitty cat." She smirked knowing full well that wasn't their name but since they had been giving her nicknames the entire day she thought she'd return the favour. She looked at the card again and smiled "Can I expect you to be at this place when I reach there? I assume since you are asking me to join and what ever is going on with the world you'll be collecting other beings as well?" Hayle knew she was asking a lot of questions and this djinn probably wanted to get as far away from the cold as possible but she was just so curious.

Harian was used to people staring. Sighted people that is, though this one looked a little confused to be entirely sighted. What she was not used to however, was people being...polite to her.
Harian blinked, a completely dumbfounded look in her beady black eyes.
Before she could blink the man broke the sigil. Just like that. No protective ward, or conditional release binding or anything. He simply let her go...and then gave her his name.
Harian was so surprised, she stayed right where she was, unmoving and unspeaking for a few long moments after he had closed his mouth.
Suddenly she arched her back and grew. The tiny weasel became a huge panther, which leapt up onto a nearby desk, upsetting pencils and open books and growled deeply.
"You are the dumbest sorcerer I've ever met! What if I'd been sent to assassinate you? Or burn the library? Letting a djinn go like that is probably the most dangerous thing you could have done. You got a death wish or something?"
The outburst was uncharacteristic to say the least. She realized this and sat back on her haunches, turning her head away from him.
"Look, I normally don't care what people do, but you seem...slightly less horrible than the rest of the human race...so, take this as a warning: Don't free anymore djinn, demons or spirits from traps unless you know they're not after your blood."
She turned back and fixed her emerald eyes on Gabriel. Lifting her paw from where it sat on the desk Harian revealed the invitation Jophiel had written for him.
"As it turns out, I'm not here to kill you. I'm here to recruit you."
Naberius Naberius

"Things are strange." Harian confirmed, "And my hope is to finish my contract and get the heck out of here before it all goes to...well, hell."
The demon gave her name and Harian grinned, a strange thing to see on a panther. "Whatever you say Snow Queen."
The demon was observant, and certainly no fool. Johpiel had done good with this one at least.
"That's right, I am getting others, and as long as I am magically bound to this world and this stupid cause, you will be seeing a lot more of me, whether I wish it or not."
She turned to go but stopped for a moment, "I suppose it won't be completely terrible, if there are people like you there too."
GamerCarrot GamerCarrot

"If you were here to assassinate me, you'd be doing a very poor job of it. Besides, I've spent the past decade hunting down things that go bump in the night and know how to deal with a great number of different beings. And I'm no sorcerer. Couldn't cast my way out of a wet paper bag, actually. I'm more of a charms and trinkets kinda guy."

Gabriel continued smiling as he shifted his gazetto his visitors new resting place. This was an unexpected, yet not entirely unpleasant, turn of events. He could use a break from the endless slog through tome and book and scroll that had occupied most of the last months of his life. He leaned forward a bit, trying to appear laid back and relaxed. He had started the day in a poor mood but things were finally starting to get interesting. And he had never met an actual djinn before, just read old texts that briefly mentioned them.

"And yes, unfortunately most of the humans in the world aren't particularly decent people. But there is good in them, too. The potential for great things and wondrous deeds lies dormant in all of us. Sometimes all we need is a bit of a push in the right direction. So, you mentioned recruiting me. What precisely for? I have a bit of a Lich issue I'm looking into at the moment but I'll hear you out."

Harian gave him a scrutinizing look. "You...really believe that huh?" That there was good in every human? Harian didn't see it.
"Well, that's...sweet. You're wrong, of course. But still."
Harian shrank down into her more common human form, raven hair and a pinstripe vest. Her legs dangled over the edge of the desk.
"You've noticed the change in the energies here right? The angels think someone's triggered Armageddon early. They're wetting their robes trying to figure out how it could have happened, and how to stop it. I'm working by proxy, for an angel and he sent me to get you." She held up the card.
The library shelves were long and packed, she didn't envy any mortal having to go through them all for what he sought. Luckily menial tasks like combing libraries were exactly the sort of painfully-boring tasks her previous masters had shifted onto her.
"If you need info for this "Lich issue" of yours I...I'll help you find the books you need."
Harian surprised herself. She never offered to help anyone. Lifetimes of slavery had pretty much put her off of helping anyone ever again, but there was something about this strange human, Harian felt he'd be a good addition.
Naberius Naberius

Gabriel raised an eyebrow, taking in this third form perhaps a little too slowly. He quickly realized that he was letting his eyes wander, however, and leaned back in his chair again, meeting his visitors eyes. There was a fire in those eyes, an intelligence he hadn't seen since he locked eyes with one of the First People during a visit with a Cherokee medicine man years ago.

"An actual, honest to God angel? I've seen and heard a lot of things since taking up the mantle but I had always thought angels were a bit much. Though I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, you see a lot of strange things working for a goddess. And I'd be happy for the help, though someone to talk to is fine as well if you'd prefer just to relax while I hunt down copies of books older than most vampires."

Gabriel stood, walking over to get a closer look at the card. He didn't recognize the symbol, but he had found many odd icons in the heaps of books he had studied over the past decade. His expression turned grim. If what she said was true, it was no wonder the local spirits had been acting strangely. This was bad on an entirely different level than any of what he'd ever dealt with. It only made sense that he was being summoned. Or more accurately, the Justicar of Adrestia was being summoned.

Harian caught his too-casual look trailing her new form and when he met her eyes again they were holding an expression that was distinctly unimpressed.

"Oh this angel's a bit much all right. Much too happy, much too bright and muuuch too obsessed with sci-fi dramas." She counted her fingers as she listed the traits that most annoyed her about Jophiel.
He looked surprised when he mentioned the goddess. "You work for a goddess?" That grabbed her curiosity.
"Joph never actually told me anything about who I was trying to find. What exactly do you do?"
She jumped off the desk and began grabbing books, flipping through the pages with a lazy air.
"You know, it'd help if you told me what we're looking for exactly."

Gabriel stood up straight and contorted his face into a mock gallant knight expression. He held his hand at his chest as though holding a sword pointing straight up.

"I am Gabriel Albright, Justicar of Adrestia, daughter of Ares, sister to Deimos and Phobos, goddess of the balance between good and evil and righteous retribution."

Gabriel cracked his familiar smile as he lowered his arm. He rolled his eyes at his own ridiculousness, walking back over to the desk he had piled books onto and picked up the journal he had been reading over.

"Some crazy cultists have gotten it into their heads that they want to resurrect a millenia old Lich by ripping his damned soul out of hell and binding it to a fresh corpse. Not really my idea of a good time, but it's my job to stop the ritual and to do that I either have to put a bullet in dozens of heads or figure out a counter ritual that will keep them from being successful. And I really don't want to have to shoot people. As good as I am at it, I dislike resorting to violence when a situation can be resolved another way."

Timing: Before the Beginning
Interaction: Harian and Falarion

Continuing to grin, Falarion said, "I am most certainly impressed by your skills. I would probably just get into a lot of trouble if I could shape-shift."

Hearing her question, Falarion quirked his head at her and then leaned precariously over the ledge to peer down at the human chaos below. Again, the flashes of color began to dance in his vision and he could definitely hear child-like laughter echoing from the mingling crowds. He smiled softly and took in a deep breath, only to abruptly go into a coughing fit because of the dust in the air. Sheepishly, he recollected himself and then gestured for the crow to look down below.

Clearing his throat, Falarion asked, "What do you see when you look down there?"

He waited to watch her look down, very curious to hear and see her response.

A torrent of emotions overcame Nero, but the primary one was an overwhelming feeling of discomposure that made itself visible by the ever-so-vague reddening of his face. He was quick to hide it, yet failed to do so in a poised manner. The fumbling of his fingers with the card and an awkward stumble backwards attested to that.

In his own quiet manner, Nero tucked the name away to the back of his mind. "Pleased to meet you..." The words were spoken genuinely - albeit softly - and he quickly collected himself so that he could study the card.

It didn't seem out of the ordinary save for the intricately drawn owl on it's face. The words reminded him of the uneasy feeling that had been plaguing him lately, and quite clearly it had something to do with that. But why would he be called on for it? Nobody had even known he existed as far as he knew. Until now, of course.

"This is supposed to... un-lose me?" he asked, shifting his inquisitive gaze back to her once again.

Kiyomi
Time: Before the Beginning
Interaction: Harian

"I have a letter... from an angel."

Hearing these words caught the old kitsune by surprise and Kiyomi perked up, her eyebrow quirked as she stared forward.

"A letter from an angel, you say? How curious." She murmured softly, her head tilted to the side. They strode by an old stone shrine, the bamboo surrounding it decorated with a sacred rope. Kiyomi stopped in her place as the cat perched herself onto an old stone wall that guarded the shrine. Reaching out, she carefully removed the paper note lodged between Harian's needle-like teeth and took it upon herself, flipping the paper slip open with a single finger. Her pale eyes skimmed over the note briefly before glancing up at the cat.

"A recruitment? No wonder you have traveled so far and long."

Kiyomi suddenly laughed and looked a bit sheepish.

"You may already know my name, but I would like to introduce myself properly," she leaned forward, folding her hands behind her back as she bowed deeply.

"I am Kiyomi, a nine-tailed servant of Inari. I am pleased to make an acquaintance with such a cute messenger." Kiyomi rose her gaze to peer up at Harian, a soft yet beautiful smile lingering on her pink lips in a flirtatious manner.

"And you are?"

Gabriel struck his ridiculous pose and Harian paused. A smile broke out onto her face and then, Harian laughed. Not a mocking or humourless laugh she had been so used to from herslef, but a genuine, pleased and pleasant laugh. His antics actually amused her. It was...strangely refreshing, in a world that seemed to have been designed to cause her pain.
"Wow. That's a mouthful." Harian replied, making a face that was halfway between being unimpressed and happy too.
Harian picked up more books and began skimming.
"If you stop this ritual though, what's to prevent them from just trying again when you're not around? Not much of a resolution if they'll do it later. Bullets would be more effective, preferably ones dipped in cyanide."
The spite was not hard to detect. It was obvious what Harian thought of the human race.
She snapped the book shut and went to the shelves, shrinking down into a vervet monkey and clambering up the wood beams. She pulled out book after book at an impressive speed, chucking the useless ones onto the floor and folding the pages in books Gabriel could use. Clearly Harian's library etiquette needed work.
At length she came back as a human, a stack of books six strong, each with marked pages.
"That's everything I found down that corridor." She dropped the books onto his desk.
"How exactly are planning on stopping this ritual and, you know, not dying?..Not that I care." She added quickly. "Just, curious."
Naberius Naberius

"Don't worry kitty I'll be there, I'm interested to see how long you can keep up these frosty nicknames you love coming up with." Hayle laughed, she had to admit all of these nicknames were quite hilarious. Looking at the card and the little clue that was on it she was already interested about who was coming with them on this quest to see what was wrong with the world. "Lets hope everyone else you are picking up will be as willing to help out as I am? Who knows what kind of people your little angel has chosen... the world must be in danger if they are looking for help." She laughed again, she didn't mind the thought of angels but she did know they weren't exactly the best of friends when it came to those residing in hell.

Timing: Before the Beginning
Interaction: Harian and Falarion

Harian the crow shuffled to the edge and peered down, out over the tightly-squeezed buildings and the roads bursting with traffic.
"Smelly fleshbags, rampant poverty, a good dose of misery all wrapped into a species that is vastly too greedy for what it has."
She looked back at the deity, not hiding any part of her disdain for humanity.
"Now you're going to tell me that you see." She stated in a tired voice. She had played this game before.
Lioness075 Lioness075

Harian laughed as Nero stumbled back, his composure in tatters around him.
"You normies are all the same."
When he asked his question Harian took it a bit more seriously. He was obviously looking for answers. Harian had a memory come unbidden to her mind, of the first time she was summoned. All she could remember was confusion and pain and an overwhelming sense of being completely lost. She did not like that feeling.
"I didn't come here for myself you know. I was sent. The one who sent me seemed very keen to have you join him. Whoever, whatever you are. He knows."
Harian stepped back toward the road and shot him a cheeky salute. "See you later kiddo. Good luck!"
Crazy Trey-n Crazy Trey-n

Interaction: Harian and Anastasius...and relatives.

Haraian had to try. It was fun, she was bored, and it kept the gorgons on their toes. This time she snuck in through the little entrance made for the snakes, and she went as a small, black python, with rainbow iridescence on her scales. Her eyes however, were still the same jewel-bright green they always were. The other snakes didn't notice immediately, she kept her head held high, pink tongue flicking in a business-like manner. She was just your average serpent teller headed to work. The vaulted cielings of Tartarus soared above her little snake head and she couldn't help but look up. Now where were those gorgons? How long would it be until someone noticed? They probably already had, nothing got past them. Though Harian did pride herself on being able to break in anywhere, Tartarus was not just anywhere.
The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard

It was suspiciously easy to get into Tartarus, so much so that the tunnel led Harian all the way through a bank teller window, with a little area designed for her to take her spot and begin working as if she was meant to be here. It was odd, you could have sworn that the snake tunnels didn't immediately end up here. A voice came soon after from behind, it was smooth and silky, a voice that could cause men to go to war. "Ah...sweet child, if you were so desperate to work for us, there were much easier ways then impersonating one of our snake employees." the voice coming from a woman with long beautiful black hair in a neat bun on her head. She wore nondescript office attire, fitting for a boring bank manager. It was Euryale and even with a human Glamour, she was still....slightly off, maybe a bit too tall for any human woman? Maybe the word was lanky, it was odd, yet through the obvious inhumanity, the beauty came through.

"Though worry not, Anastasius is down below if you want to go see him, his usual spot" she spoke again. "Ah, before you ask, all the snakes knew you weren't one of them because you didn't have the cute little bow tie" she expressed making a motion to her neck with her hand. "Just started using those".

Gabriel paced between shelves for a time, gathering an arm full of small books that might have some relevance to his mission, as well as one other book. One that he quietly slipped into the inner pocket of his duster. A book on Djinn. He was fascinated by other intelligent beings that weren't human and decided to set about studying more of them. He just didn't want to give his new friend the wrong idea, so he kept the volume hidden. He walked back over to his work space, depositing his findings into a neat stack. He turned to face her as she came back down the long row of shelves.

"Well, I got my very own assassin to laugh at my lame jokes, I'd say that's a point for me. As to how I plan to survive... I'm very very stubborn."

He met her gaze, a deep sadness barely visible under the humor he wore like a mask.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry. I can't even begin to imagine what you've been through. And I know all too well how cruel and terrible the hearts of man can become. I won't make excuses for them. There are terrible individuals counted amongst us. But despite that, I'd like very much to count you as a friend. I can tell you're not a bad person. You're a very good person that bad things have happened to. You even decided of your own volition to help me track down books in a dusty library. You didn't have to do that. But I'm thankful for the help."

Gabriel leaned back against the desk he occupied, crossing his arms. The sadness in his eyes dwindled slightly. He looked away, scanning the interior of the library, lost in thought for a moment. Finally he looked back. He had come to a decision regarding the situation.

"I'll be there. I'll go and meet with this angel, see what they have to say. At least there will be someone I know there. Oh, and I never did catch your name."

"Oh quite a while Snowflake, quite a while." Harian replied with a cheeky grin.
The world must be in danger..
"Tell me about it." Harian told her. "Thing is, this isn't my world, and I don't want to be in it honestly, especially not when someone's trying to end it."
With that Harian crouched, and on the spring changed into a shivering crow and flapped her way down the mountain as fast as her wings could carry her.
GamerCarrot GamerCarrot

Interaction: Harian and Anastasius...and relatives.

The voice sent shivers up Harian's long spine that weren't altogether unpleasant.
"Well you know, my current employment has terrible benefits. I've always coveted your dental plan."
Good Anastasius was in. This would make things a lot easier. Talking to him directly was the best way of convincing him that working with the angels wasn't absolutely bonkers.
The mention of the bow ties brought Harian's little pink tongue flicking out in distaste.
"No thanks. If Joph caught me wearing one I'd never hear the end of it....how do they stay on?"
Harian slithered back and began to head towards the stairs. "I'll just show myself in. See you later Euryale, we should catch up soon."

Anastasius' 'usual spot' never really ceased to be impressive, even when Harian changed back into her most used human form and gained a good five feet on the snake she had been. The statue stood in the center of all, the place of honour, just as it always had.
"Stazzy?" the djinn listened to her voice echo around the chamber.
The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard

Harian sighed. This human was not the planning type.
"You're not the first person I've heard that from." She was commenting on his survival strategy. "The other guy? Pieces of him are probably still jammed into the Colosseum stonework."
She looked to see his reaction to this but started when she caught the hint of sadness there.
Then, he did something worse: he showed her sympathy.
Harian stood there for a moment in utter shock. She had just met this guy, and he was sorry for what had happened to her?
She listened to him in mildly-stunned silence, almost unable to comprehend the logic that spurred him to say what he was saying.
He had stopped speaking for a few seconds before Harian shook her head to snap her out of her surprise. The jewel-bright gleam in her eyes turned frigid.
"Sorry buster, I don't do the "friend" thing. I find making friends with humans is generally very bad for my continued survival, which by the way, is my priority above all else.
You've known me for what, a whole five minutes? You have no idea what kind of person I am and while we're at it, you have no idea what's been done to me, what it's made of me.
" Harian stepped closer to him, so close she had to look up to meet his eyes. "I am a bad person justicar, but more importantly, I'm not my own person, not here, and if you know what's good for you? You'll remember that."
Her tone was cold, defeated. It spoke of decades of misfortune, and of a being that was slowly wearing thin from the grief and the pain, slowly letting it define who and what she was.
The way she spoke to him made her conscience squirm, but in the end, it was better this way.
She stretched and yawned and just like that, her easy smile was back.
"So, good that you're going I guess. Try not to die before the meet up, you're mildly entertaining." She slid off the desk, making her way past Gabriel and being sure to skirt the sigil trap on the floor.
Naberius Naberius

Timing: Before the beginning Interaction: Harian & Gabriel

With a heavy heart, Gabriel watched her go. When the door closed behind her, he sighed. A sad smile crept across his face as he stared down at his boots.

"You're not the only one bound to serve another. Unable to live your own life."

He spoke softly, not wanting anyone to know his darkest secret. No one could ever know. This mission could very well be his last, and he knew that. His choice was made for him years ago in a long forgotten temple in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing left to do but play it out.

"One last hurrah it is, then."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back