• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts - The Thirteenth Mystery - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
The reason I went with the Sword of Atlantis is that it handles both my melee and ranged attack needs, and it is effective against vampires, but I doubt that they will be a major concern in this game.
Not with Reyna and Freya around! =)

Yeah, I've been thinking of the TW guns a great deal (because Chan-Chan and I really like the idea of, say, blasting a group with a TW Shockwave rifle to keep them off-balance while the team takes every advantage of it). Same goes with Gust of Wind guns. I really like the TW Fire-breathing Arquebus (unlimited shots, but they only get 3 shots/Round so Chan-Chan would need at least two). I've always been a fan of suppressors for military action, but TW silencers actually silence (not suppress)! Neeeeat!

As far as melee is concerned, there's the ol' Paralysis Staff (strikes as the Paralysis: Lesser spell) and I like the Draining Blade (that would make a cool one-handed sword). All of the Rune Swords are cool in one way or another - I might request to have a custom-made Rune Sword, something like a Thunderer's Axe maybe but a sword instead of an axe? (Because if Chan-Chan doesn't have a sword of some kind, I kind of find the idea of asking the party to go on some grand adventure just for her sake of getting one unpalatable unless it's something everyone wants to do? Then that's another story!).

Whatever happens, I want her to be able to hold her own. Defensively, I think she certainly can - it's the offense I'm trying to be respectful and careful about - I don't want to create something that makes someone else feel that their own offense isn't all that great against the support-dragon-hatchling in the team. =) The search (and fun) continues!

How about everyone else's arsenals? I believe a certain cool former CS-spy has a Super-SAMAS? Hurray! What is everyone else hoping to start with?

Personally I just want a couple of guns to handle the 'reach out and touch someone' need while my psi sword deals the melee damage. I might ask for a few gadgetsbut nothing is set in my heart as a must have.

Ellis could maybe use an energy laser pistol (the light redirection powers could help with aim) but mostly, and especially at 101 P.A. They are gonna need journalist supplies. A good camera, a portable computer, that sort of good stuff.

I second the none of us are normal part!

now, if i were a dragon, i'd collect items from the old world that may not nesecaraly be the most valuable, i'd take sentimental things. photographs of families, journals and memoirs of people, children's toys. these people from before the rifts, they were people too, and i'd want to know their lives, and be reminded how similar they were to our own.

but thats just me personally. i dunno. im very tired, and tomorrow is the last day where i have to wake up at the unholy hour of six in the damn morning. good riddance to that!
400 years ago, a company named Palladium produced a collectable miniatures wargame called Robotech RPG Tactics. This spawned three editions of games over the course of the 21st century and a true collector can't pass up a chance to collect the Robotech Reignited Centennial Edition put out in the 22nd century!

Finding new miniatures remains challenging but many ruins of cities yet remain to be explored...

What?! A game of Rifts where the Intelligence Skill actually gets used? Are you serious? If so, I can swap out a skill somewhere for this.

I mean, you can but there's literally an Intelligence Platoon with 36 personnel doing the grunt work of collecting it. My assumption was that, based on the sheets I've seen so far, no one was particularly interested in digging into this (other than maybe Esbilon's Jeanne-Marie) and the Colonel's methodology is to look for things his main heavy-hitters don't have the skill or interest or time to do and hire/train/employ people to do that for his Megaversal Operative teams.

Besides, I thought Chan-Chan was a historian, archeologist and a collector. ;)

This information has been posted twice. (Detailed-oriented Dann)
Thanks! Edited it accordingly.

O.K.. What are they using to pull this off?
I haven't worked out exact vehicles in an inventory or anything. I may do so next week. Right now, my priorities are (1) continue/finish detailing a few more Megaversal Operative NPCs and (2) get the main kickoff post set up.
As a Real Life fan of Vietnam's MACV-SOG, I want to join this bunch so much it's making my head spin! =) Chan-Chan (seeing as the folks are Unprincipled and Scrupulous) is largely in the same boat as me but for different reasons.
Never heard of MACV-SOG but the Wikipedia article is interesting!

For gear, you're all invited to imagine what your characters might have normally picked up over the course of leveling from 1st to 5th in a game spanning years...because of course they've had all that experience and opportunity to make money/collect a share of the loot over the years, it's just backstory for this game. :)

For those inclined, you might open the six Coalition War Campaign books and skim the table of contents for NPCs and go look some up. I was reading through the Final Siege book 6 yesterday, read through a bunch of NPCs and wow there are some real punks in/around Tolkeen and Freehold who just happen to have some pretty interesting equipment! If your characters ran across them in the Future That Was, perhaps catching them doing villainous things, you might see an opportunity to preemptively stop them in 101 PA (and coincidently liberate some useful weapons/tools/etc. a few years ahead of schedule...).

does anyone have access to a digitized version of book six of the coalition war? the usual place i'm getting the rest of the pdfs from has a corroded copy. thanks :)

As promised. I did say I hoped to get the game going by early June. Hey, it's early June!

I know some of you are still finalizing details for your characters. Feel free to continue to do so. If you'd like to hold off posting until you've done so, that's cool. If you need help from me, that's cool too, let me know how I can help and I'll help. :)

hey, Eonivar Eonivar would you be down to work together on making our post for both Priya and Ellis with the idea we briefly discussed?? pips, can we do that, and have our characters be directly in the hospital when the bomb hits?

FYI - I will be knocking off the Second Person POV in future posts. Especially since I want players to feel they entirely own their character's point of view. It just worked well for the opener. Expect Third Person POV in the future.

Epiphany Epiphany Wooo!

I mean, you can but there's literally an Intelligence Platoon with 36 personnel doing the grunt work of collecting it. My assumption was that, based on the sheets I've seen so far, no one was particularly interested in digging into this (other than maybe Esbilon's Jeanne-Marie) and the Colonel's methodology is to look for things his main heavy-hitters don't have the skill or interest or time to do and hire/train/employ people to do that for his Megaversal Operative teams.

Besides, I thought Chan-Chan was a historian, archeologist and a collector. ;)
Ah, pardon. I think I've left the wrong impression. I am not trying to add another role to Chan-Chan (I am already more than content here!). I am also not trying to expand her toward any militarily profession (as in the Unkillables), but on a personal level. At this stage in her life, she could not care less about enemy movement details and the names of terrorist groups in our situation - but she cares a great deal in pulling together all of the skills she already has and making sense of them.

Put another way, Chan-Chan doesn't want the job - she wants the analytical and deducing skills that Intelligence offers - the skills of a trained analyst. There does not seem to be any Skill in Rifts that performs these specific functions besides Intelligence. Might you know of one? If so, I'll happily look into it instead.

I'd be surprised if you haven't enjoyed any of the Jack Ryan novels or movies. Back in Clear and Present Danger, Ryan begins the story as a history teacher. He becomes a C.I.A. operative. Why? Because they desire (in fact, need) his analytical skills - his abilities to interpret and correlate data, and then deduce and pull together facts that show true connections and cut off false leads. Sure, this is the realm of military and paramilitary forces the world over, but if a history teacher can do it, why not a 30-year-old genius level (33 I.Q.) Grey Seer like Chan-Chan? Grey Seers offer only two Espionage Skills (Escape Artist being the other). Why offer Grey Seers Intelligence if they can't make use of it?

Well, folks armed with the Intelligence Skill (at least as explained in Rifts Ultimate Edition) can draw detective-level or better conclusions based on magical evidence they find and put it all together to form a bigger picture unknown to people who are not trained to think in these directions. They can make sense where no sense seems to exist. If science makes one think a little more differently about things, then I think the Intelligence Skill helps analysts bring it all together (something that my character is probably better at than I am).

Now, if this isn't how the Intelligence Skill is used in your game, then I'll gladly stay with what I have! I just wanted one more tool in her toolbox (one that no GM I've had in 10 years makes use of; I'm serious - I don't remember rolling the Intelligence Skill once in 10 years!). Chan-Chan has all manner of data-gathering skills (Lore, History, Anthropology, Mythology, and more) but no single Skill to analyze, interpret, and make sense of it all (Intelligence).

Never heard of MACV-SOG but the Wikipedia article is interesting!
If you are looking for a non-fiction novel to introduce you to SOG, I highly recommend SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam by Colonel John L. Plaster. I have to tell you; in some parts, it is not an easy read, but it is always an enlightening one!

For gear, you're all invited to imagine what your characters might have normally picked up over the course of leveling from 1st to 5th in a game spanning years...because of course they've had all that experience and opportunity to make money/collect a share of the loot over the years, it's just backstory for this game. :)
O.K.. So... we've got 8th-10th level characters with 1st-5th level gear. Okies, I can work with this!

For those inclined, you might open the six Coalition War Campaign books and skim the table of contents for NPCs and go look some up. I was reading through the Final Siege book 6 yesterday, read through a bunch of NPCs and wow there are some real punks in/around Tolkeen and Freehold who just happen to have some pretty interesting equipment! If your characters ran across them in the Future That Was, perhaps catching them doing villainous things, you might see an opportunity to preemptively stop them in 101 PA (and coincidently liberate some useful weapons/tools/etc. a few years ahead of schedule...).
That sounds like a ball to me! Let's take out some trash and get some fun and eye-opening gear while we're at it! 8D

Put another way, Chan-Chan doesn't want the job - she wants the analytical and deducing skills that Intelligence offers - the skills of a trained analyst. There does not seem to be any Skill in Rifts that performs these specific functions besides Intelligence. Might you know of one? If so, I'll happily look into it instead.

Yeah, that's a tough one. Intelligence in Rifts Unlimited emphasizes analysis in relation to a particular enemy, which makes it a poor fit for the conventional "putting pieces of a mystery together to solve it". Googling tells me there's allegedly an Investigative skill (that's arguably a better fit) but I can't seem to find a source for it.

Investigative This area of study involves the techniques, principles, and theories of investigation. It trains a person to look for and recognize clues systematically examining details with care and accuracy. This is applicable to environments, events, the spoken word, and body language.
Research and interrogation techniques are also learned. The interrogation of a person involves a series of questions which will probe unobtrusively or bluntly into the area in question. The tact of the interrogator may be gentle, quiet and calming or violent, intimidating and unnerving. All of these tactics are verbal and emotional and do not suggest physical abuse/torture.
Note: If a character refuses to talk he/she can reveal little. However, body language/movement may tell the interrogators all they need to know.
Generally, a person with this skill will uncover at least one or two leads/clues per each hour of investigation. Of course many of them may be false leads, dead ends, or inconclusive. Game Masters use your discretion in each case, as circumstances can be very different each time, perhaps revealing many clues or none at all even after hours of investigation.
Base Skill: 30% + 5% per level of experience.

I'm less thrilled about that overlap with Interrogation, especially as Psychie's lady has it, but otherwise is this more of the skill you're looking for? I could probably roll with this if you'd like.

4 of the 6 PCs have Intelligence, it looks like, so I'm happy to support its use if folks are interested.

If you are looking for a non-fiction novel to introduce you to SOG, I highly recommend SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam by Colonel John L. Plaster. I have to tell you; in some parts, it is not an easy read, but it is always an enlightening one!

Thanks for the recommendation!

O.K.. So... we've got 8th-10th level characters with 1st-5th level gear. Okies, I can work with this!

8th-10th level characters in terms of skills, powers, PPE/ISP, etc. 5th level characters in terms of gear. The 1st-5th reference was more of a "Imagine all the things you might have gotten up to between 1st and 5th, the amount of income and equipment you might have earned in that span of time is where you're at right now".

On a related note, I'd like to clarify a few things here.

First, Sherwood's writeup of the basics here is excellent and I'm happy to follow it. EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 you might find this a really helpful reference.

Second, in relation to the issue that came up in Sherwood's game, I figure I should articulate my preferred approach to things up front.
  • I will ask people for skill checks (or Perception checks or saves or what have you) when it occurs to me and when it feels appropriate for the situation. This will typically be reactive by nature in that there's something happening in the scene where the result of a roll on your character's part may give them additional insight to what's going on, or awareness of additional options for solving the situation.
  • I welcome players proactively taking actions covered by skills (or MA or PB bonuses, etc.), up to and including telling me the skill they're using OOCly in the post and even rolling for it. This will typically be active by nature and you don't need to ask me up front for permission to try it. If I find the action inappropriate or inapplicable, I'll say so but the worst outcome is going to be me ignoring it or saying no, no one's going to have their knuckles rapped by a ruler. Particularly for a play by post game, this avoids:
    DM (IC Post): You see tracks.
    Player (OOC Post): Can I roll Intelligence or Tracking?
    DM (OOC Post): Sure.
    Player (OOC Post): Rolled an 87.
    DM (IC Post): You see the tracks lead to...
  • I'm aware this isn't the RAW approach to Rifts. I'm just too spoiled by decades playing Exalted. I've been incentivized by stunts and players being outright encouraged in the rules to act instead of react, and I invite you all to do the same.
    • Bear in mind, I'm game for you guys to declare what you want to do and roll for it but the GM is still the one who actually adjudicates the result so please don't assume success or failure on your own, that's all I ask.
  • In like fashion, I'm all for players attempting to creatively apply the skills, abilities, spells, powers, etc. that they have to a situation they see. If you've got a Coalition soldier tied to a chair, one person might use their Interrogation skill to interact with the NPC, another might use Investigative as a skill (if folks are fine with its inclusion) with a different angle/emphasis, a third might use their M.A. Trust/Intimidate bonus while a fourth uses P.B.'s Charm/Impress. As long as you stunt/write your action in a way that makes it clear you're engaging with the skill or mechanic in question, I'm good with the approach.
The main exception to all of the above is niche stomping. We're all (or mostly all) veteran, experienced gamers and none of us are kids anymore (as far as I know). Some of you are more extroverted and outspoken than others as players. I ask that each player be aware of their fellow PCs and be willing to think about yielding the floor or spotlight if a situation calls for someone's particular niche to shine. For example:
  • Ellis Mandel's been created as a socially skilled 'face' for the party, per her player. That doesn't mean other PCs can't mix it up socially, I know a bunch of you have high M.A. and P.B. scores. But all things being equal, be a bit more willing to let her try setting the group's first impressions if you're talking to a new NPC outside of a military context.
  • If the party crosses swords with hostiles and one of them breaks out a Magical Tattoo, that's directly relevant to 3 of the 6 PCs who have Tattoos. It'd be nice to let those characters set the tone for how to deal with that particular hostile (if they want to subdue them so they can talk to them and find out where they got it from, be a good sport and go with the plan).
  • If the party's going to try bluffing their way past a Coalition patrol, there's a PC who is literally a Coalition ex-spy in the group, perfect situation to let her take the first crack at seeing if she can get the group through without shooting (unless everyone wants to get on with the shooting, of course).
And so on.

Any questions? Concerns? Anything that's unclear? Anything you think is going to negatively impact the game for you?

Epiphany Epiphany
Yeah, that's a tough one. Intelligence in Rifts Unlimited emphasizes analysis in relation to a particular enemy, which makes it a poor fit for the conventional "putting pieces of a mystery together to solve it". Googling tells me there's allegedly an Investigative skill (that's arguably a better fit) but I can't seem to find a source for it.
There might not be one in book form as this may be a Player-made Skill. It also might be some O.C.C. ability (I can't find it at all).

I'm less thrilled about that overlap with Interrogation, especially as Psychie's lady has it, but otherwise is this more of the skill you're looking for? I could probably roll with this if you'd like.
Big time. This is farther away from even the descriptions of identifying magical creatures via their habits and evidence as stated in Intelligence. The Skill I'm looking for might not exist, but if it does, it is probably in that excellent 6.5 Palladium Skill Compendium I linked a short while back. I didn't think you were allowing any Skills not in the RUE though (which is why your bringing Investigative is a bit of a surprise). Do you want me to look through the compendium to see if there's a fit?

Thanks for the recommendation!
My pleasure! That ol' started me on a search for more like it and the library I have now is... probably a bit on the rare side but my, does it illuminate using only the words of those who were there (I'm into non-fiction first-hand accounts only). So, be careful! SOG is a rabbit hole! You finish one book, you might soon be on the hunt for the next like I was! =) On YouTube, you can still find SOGCasts hosted by Jocko Willink's channel. (This particular one has Stryker interviewing Col. Plaster! Talk about a big wow!) They're long (which is good) but one doesn't need to sit and listen to each in one go. John Stryker Meyer (a.k.a. "Tilt") is one of the best SOG guys you could ask for who is still trying to get the stories out from those who are still around while they are still around (their guesses are now less than 100 folks involved in SOG still live). A rabbit hole, I'm telling you! =)

8th-10th level characters in terms of skills, powers, PPE/ISP, etc. 5th level characters in terms of gear. The 1st-5th reference was more of a "Imagine all the things you might have gotten up to between 1st and 5th, the amount of income and equipment you might have earned in that span of time is where you're at right now".
Again, works for me! No point in us all running around with Staves of the Magi and BFG 9000s at the start - how else are we to enjoy nicer gear down the road? =)

My default is doing skills in the Rifts RPG Ultimate Edition. I'm pretty laid back about including content from other sources, though, if someone has a hankering for something. If you'd like to take a look, by all means!

Also, you've mentioned a couple of times that Intelligence lets you do magical analysis of a kind. I'm genuinely not reading that in the writeup in the R:UE text. This is what I see.

Intelligence This is the specific training in the practices and principles of recognizing and analyzing sources of information about the enemy, observation techniques, counterintelligence measures and proper procedure. This includes the practical assessment of sights and sounds, estimation of ranges, what to report, handling prisoners of war, and handling captured documents and equipment (tagging and reporting to group leader or proper authority). This means the character will be able to accurately estimate ranges, the number of enemies, direction, purpose, and assess the importance of specific information.

Further intelligence training includes a working knowledge of indigenous guerrilla warfare, enemy practices, appearance, and current activities. This enable the intelligence officer to recognize suspicious activity as guerrilla actions and identify guerrilla operatives. For Example: A particular booby trap, or weapon, or mode of operation, may be indicative of guerrilla activity in the area. It may be up to the character to confirm the existence of the enemy and their strength, number, and location.

Another area of training made available to intelligence is the identification of enemy troops, officers, and foreign advisors. This means the person learns the many distinguishing ranks and marks that identify specific military units, special forces, groups, and leaders of the enemy. Such identification can pinpoint and confirm enemy operations, goals, and movement, as well as confirm outside intervention/aid.

Note: A failed roll in any of the areas of intelligence means that evidence is inconclusive, or that the character has incorrectly assessed the information/situation and is uncertain. A failed roll involving individual clues may mean the person has dismissed it entirely as being meaningless (GMs, use your discretion). Base Skill: 32% + 4% per level of experience.

What's yours look like? What am I missing?

Epiphany Epiphany

Player (OOC Post): Can I roll Intelligence or Tracking?
DM (OOC Post): Sure.
Player (OOC Post): Rolled an 87.
DM (IC Post): You see the tracks lead to...
In this example, don't you want us being specific as to which Skill we're using? Intelligence and Tracking, at least in my games, sometimes deliver very different results and the less confusion the better. Just a thought. =)

Bear in mind, I'm game for you guys to declare what you want to do and roll for it but the GM is still the one who actually adjudicates the result so please don't assume success or failure on your own, that's all I ask.
I have but three words - Thank you, God. That explains everything I need to know in advance! Your entire post also helps with the number one thing that confuses gamers from all games the world over - expectations! I appreciate both your forward-thinking and your thoughtfulness, Pips! =)

I'm aware this isn't the RAW approach to Rifts. I'm just too spoiled by decades playing Exalted. I've been incentivized by stunts and players being outright encouraged in the rules to act instead of react, and I invite you all to do the same.
Stunts (and putting in the extra effort to create them) are not every Players' cup of tea. Some of us can probably write Stunts in our sleep but others might not have any great idea of how to do it at all. May I recommend a more thorough explanation to those of us who might not grasp an Exalted game mechanic in a Rifts setting? Namely Alex?

Also, is there any mechanical benefit for our writing posts to the levels that Stunts require? (+1 to Combat modifier, +5% to Skill, etc.?)

The main exception to all of the above is niche stomping. We're all (or mostly all) veteran, experienced gamers and none of us are kids anymore (as far as I know). Some of you are more extroverted and outspoken than others as players. I ask that each player be aware of their fellow PCs and be willing to think about yielding the floor or spotlight if a situation calls for someone's particular niche to shine.
1. I am a hyperactive extrovert. If I am doing too much, please let me know?
2. While I am all for every PC having their time to shine, I might not see a particular scene the way everyone else does. May I ask that if you want certain PCs to have the spotlight, can you please make your intentions clear when you do so? Perhaps with an O.O.C. line at the end of your post stating as much? "What does <insert PC name(s) here> do?" That would help me a great deal. I have a number of learning disabilities and any one of them can have me typing before I realize you've put up an in-game "Stop Sign" everyone else might get except me.

What's yours look like? What am I missing?
Hah! That's hilarious! No wonder! Our definitions in the Rifts Ultimate Edition are NOT the same! Ha ha ha!! Wow!

O.K., my physical copy is an Eighth printing - April 2018! Give me a little bit and I will type out - verbatim - what the Intelligence Skill on page 309 in my copy here states. =)

Epiphany Epiphany

See the second to last paragraph. Again, this is not an "Analyst" skill; it's just the closest I can currently find at putting data together. =)

"Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life down here." - A bumper sticker I've seen on the road. =)

Intelligence: Specific training in the practices and principles of recognizing and analyzing sources of information about the enemy, observation techniques, counter-intelligence measures and proper procedure. This includes the practical assessment of sights and sounds, estimation of distance from strategic positions, what to report, handling prisoners of war, and handling captured documents and equipment (tagging and reporting to group leaders or proper authorities). This means the character will be able to accurately estimate ranges, the number of enemies, direction, purpose, and asses the importance of specific information.

Another area of training made available to Intelligence is the identification of enemy troops, officers, and foreign advisors. This means the character learns the many distinguishing ranks and marks that identify specific military units, special forces, groups, and leaders of the enemy. Such identification can pinpoint and confirm enemy operations, goals, and movement, as wel as confirm outside intervention/aid. Law enforcement uses the same fundamentals when dealing with gangs, terrorists, and known criminals and criminal organization.

Further Intelligence training includes a working knowledge of indigenous guerilla warfare, enemy practices, appearance, and current activities. This enables the intelligence officer to recognize suspicious activity as guerilla actions and identify guerilla operatives. For example: In a combat situation, a particular booby trap, or weapon or mode of operation may be indicative of guerilla activity in the area. It may be up to the character to confirm the existence of the enemy and their strengths, number, and location. Likewise, when dealing with magic, demons and monsters, the particular habits (the way it kills its prey, what it eats, where it lives, etc.) might indicate what the creature is, and once that is known, the character will know how it operates, if it is a lone predator or gathers in packs, etc., and the level of danger it represents to him, his team and local communities.

Note: A failed roll in any of the areas of Intelligence means that the evidence is inconclusive, or that the character has incorrectly assessed the information or situation, and is uncertain what it all means. A failed roll involving individual clues may mean the character has dismissed clues and information as being meaningless (G.M.s, use your discretion). Base Skill: 32% +4% per level of experience.

Epiphany Epiphany Last post for now. It's been a really great day with lots of fun (including all of this Shop Talk in here! Chatting with everybody here is just super!). My brain is telling me to crash now. =)

I've checked out the 6.5 Palladium Skill Compendium and come up dry (though Investigative is in there under Technical and the site owner tells which books they've used if that helps).

If Intelligence can't be used, then that's fine - I don't want Chan-Chan to be some military intelligence specialist and that's what the skill is based around. Investigative is close, but she's no interrogator either. I suppose "Analyst" is an O.C.C. instead of a Skill? Heh!

Sherwood Sherwood What's your plan for gear here? The Sword of Atlantis is definitely not 5th level, right? Thanks for the ideas you provided for my character (you and Alex)! I hope to finish the hoard tomorrow.

Sleep well when it's your turn, everyone! 8D

Epiphany Epiphany do I need to switch my sword around for a different weapon? I can if you want; I don't wish to be that player that overpowers the game.

Epiphany Epiphany

In this example, don't you want us being specific as to which Skill we're using? Intelligence and Tracking, at least in my games, sometimes deliver very different results and the less confusion the better. Just a thought. =)

I have but three words - Thank you, God. That explains everything I need to know in advance! Your entire post also helps with the number one thing that confuses gamers from all games the world over - expectations! I appreciate both your forward-thinking and your thoughtfulness, Pips! =)

Stunts (and putting in the extra effort to create them) are not every Players' cup of tea. Some of us can probably write Stunts in our sleep but others might not have any great idea of how to do it at all. May I recommend a more thorough explanation to those of us who might not grasp an Exalted game mechanic in a Rifts setting? Namely Alex?

Also, is there any mechanical benefit for our writing posts to the levels that Stunts require? (+1 to Combat modifier, +5% to Skill, etc.?)

1. I am a hyperactive extrovert. If I am doing too much, please let me know?
2. While I am all for every PC having their time to shine, I might not see a particular scene the way everyone else does. May I ask that if you want certain PCs to have the spotlight, can you please make your intentions clear when you do so? Perhaps with an O.O.C. line at the end of your post stating as much? "What does <insert PC name(s) here> do?" That would help me a great deal. I have a number of learning disabilities and any one of them can have me typing before I realize you've put up an in-game "Stop Sign" everyone else might get except me.

Hah! That's hilarious! No wonder! Our definitions in the Rifts Ultimate Edition are NOT the same! Ha ha ha!! Wow!

O.K., my physical copy is an Eighth printing - April 2018! Give me a little bit and I will type out - verbatim - what the Intelligence Skill on page 309 in my copy here states. =)
Yes, please post which skill you're intending to use if you're trying to proactively use it. If you aren't sure which you might want to use and want advice, exactly the right time to ask in the OCC. ;)

Stunting, for those unfamiliar with it, is an unusual mechanic that another game system uses to incentivize player engagement. To illustrate by example:
0 point stunt (standard roll): "I'm rolling to attack with my sword."
1 point stunt (+1 to hit): "My flawless jian flashes forth from my sheath, springing into my hand as a slash into the enemy, attempting to bisect their torso." (Descriptive flair added).
2 point stunt (+2 to hit): "As my enemy draws his blade, I kick the table in front of me, sliding it into the man to slow his draw motion. Simultaenously, I draw my own, lunging over the table and slashing across their chest as my momentum carries me over and behind them." (Descriptive and makes use of the scenery/environment, and you're welcome to make up environment appropriate objects to interact with if my initial description didn't give you enough to work with).
3 point stunt (+3 to hit): "Staggering from the wound I took earlier, I draw my blade and its steel catches the light of the torches in this great hall. I catch my opponent's gaze. 'Your kind killed my friends.' I take a step. 'My family'. I take another step. 'Everyone I've ever known or cared about.' And one more as I raise it to an attack position. 'Now I'm going to make you feel every pain you ever inflicted on me until Hell itself rejects you, knowing your deserved torments will never equal what I've already put you through!'" (High end description, scenery good but not required, emotional hook, generally a description that shocks and awes your fellow players as well as the GM).

I hadn't thought about actually giving mechanical stunt rewards, to be honest. I know a bunch of you play Exalted and Rifts. Anyone ever houserule stunts into Palladium? How'd it go?

Thanks for the heads up, Dannigan, I'll do my best to signpost story moments where I think a particular character's niche applies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back