• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts - The Thirteenth Mystery - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Heh! =) EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 Epiphany Epiphany Sherwood Sherwood

And I just put up a pic for Freya. It just lacks the mass of tattoos that she has, but I like it.
Cool pic, Bud!

Yes, please post which skill you're intending to use if you're trying to proactively use it. If you aren't sure which you might want to use and want advice, exactly the right time to ask in the OCC. ;)
Yes, please, and thank you! =)

I hadn't thought about actually giving mechanical stunt rewards, to be honest. I know a bunch of you play Exalted and Rifts. Anyone ever houserule stunts into Palladium? How'd it go?
I have never thought of it - for my own games, I don't like the idea - my PCs have plenty of tools (Action Points which are d6s to a Skill or Action, or Diamonds of Fate which is another way of saying "instead of that d20, here, try this d30!"). Plus, I have had PCs in the past who, while are just joys to play with in-person around a table, they are simply not good writers at all. And boy, do they know it. Sometimes, they're embarrassed by it.

Stunts literally add stress to the Players I'm thinking of because of their lack of experience, command, etc. of the English language. None of them are here on RP Nation (when I have welcomed them, they thank me but I can tell - the very idea of Play by Post is intimidating. They don't want it and I choose to respect that instead of push them). And while it is easy for native speakers to say, "Hey! Just git gud!" It is twice as difficult (at least) for them to type in a way that gets them a Stunt. Level 3 Stunts are seriously (no insult intended) beyond their capability because instead of language, they're gifted with math or art or music or some other form of thinking.

So... I won't be introducing it in my games but I'm glad it's in this one. =)

Thanks for the heads up, Dannigan, I'll do my best to signpost story moments where I think a particular character's niche applies.
My pleasure!

And thank you for warnings. This is new to me, and thank you for preventing bad surprises. You are so considerate, dann (:!!!
Heh! You're welcome! You deserve it, Alex! =)

I know Ellis isn’t the best fighter,
Ah, to be straight up with you, if all Ellis has is a Boxing Skill and NO Hand to Hand Skills, then... they are honestly not a fighter at all. They are a bookworm who has studied Boxing (and probably don't know how to use it in live combat - meaning they're only good in the ring. As a person who has studied martial arts for no short amount of time, I'll gladly share what I mean by this if anyone asks.

Alex, forgive me - I just have to say it: with the power, experience, gear, and raw ability of PCs we have gathered here (mine included), I can easily see Ellis suffering or even getting killed. If they put just one Skill into Hand to Hand: Basic, it might make the difference between your first-time experience being a fun one or you rolling up another character and thinking, "Blast! If only..."

In general, Hand to Hand: Basic is far better than no Hand to Hand at all and I think that goes double in a game like this. What I don't want to see (and I'm just cringing thinking about it) is that bad guy on Ellis who is forcing Ellis to Dodge (use up his 4 Actions). Say, they're a slaver with a Net-gun and now they've nullified his ability fly and Automatic Dodge. Plus, they have more Actions because they have Hand to Hand and now, I imagine to every Player's (not to mention our GM's) dismay, Ellis is out of Actions and therefore has to eat every additional Attack this enemy is throwing on them. Talk about the opposite of fun, right? =)

But again, it's your PC. You be you. I just... cannot call myself a good Player in this game if I do not bring this to your attention if you know what I mean?

SO NOT TO BE A BRONY OR ANYTHING (a dangerous way to start a sentence)
but I know All of the songs from like the first six seasons. My little sister loved that show, and watched them all, and I- I was there too. Oy vey. Thank you dann :)

Oh also- Hey pips, can I have that camera please? (:

Pinkie Pie is the reason I am a proud Brony. Chan-Chan, by the way, is a PegaSis (Twi is her fave). =) I have the first 6 seasons too (I'm on the fourth - you might say I'm still there and part of me will always be. =)

I think my favorite episode is the one where Twilight Sparke is running late with her Friendship Report to Celestia, and is going mental because she's . . . TARDY!

I thought there was an MD camera listed in the equipment in Rifts Ultimate.
Having just took a stroll through RUE's equipment, I see they have Mega-damage communicators (with 4 M.D. for 6,000 cr.) but the video-cam they show says nothing about it being M.D.? Hmm.

If they put just one Skill into Hand to Hand: Basic, it might make the difference between your first-time experience being a fun one or you rolling up another character and thinking, "Blast! If only..."
You make some really solid points. They’ve lived through a war for crying out loud, them being just an academic is a really bad idea, and then having no fighting experience is unrealistic. Also, I think I have them the military fortification skill, and I don’t think scholars get that. I’ll swap that out. I really don’t want to loose this character, and even though it’d take a lot to kill them, they can still die. I don’t want the first character I make in the system to die in the first encounter. I think I may have misunderstood how “invurnurability” works. I thought they were just flat out immune to a lot of shit.

Also, no idea exactly how a camera would work, but I can attempt to home brew a thing. Ellis is more thegetaway driver and the “pics or it didn’t happen” guy than a fighter, and I want the pics to be high quality if possible:)

I think my favorite episode is the one where Twilight Sparke is running late with her Friendship Report to Celestia, and is going mental because she's . . . TARDY!
My favorite was season three finale. The one where twi becomes a princess and also the characters swap cutie marks. I have the “and it’s what my cutie mark is telling me” song in my brainnn. Twi was my favorite because I was the bookish weird kid too.

Also, I think I have them the military fortification skill, and I don’t think scholars get that. I’ll swap that out. I really don’t want to loose this character, and even though it’d take a lot to kill them, they can still die. I don’t want the first character I make in the system to die in the first encounter. I think I may have misunderstood how “invurnurability” works. I thought they were just flat out immune to a lot of shit.
Oh, I don't mean to say your character will die at all! I could be wrong about all this (in large part too - I'm not running this game; Pips is). I just don't want you left out of the fun as you're stuck with 4 Actions permanently while the rest of us probably have at least 6. That's a lot of "standing around and waiting" for the rest of us. Hand to Hand: Basic just makes your character that much better at being successful when they need to defend themselves.

Remember, we've got folks who can flay opponents alive with their brains alone, know every spell up their Character level, can metamorph themselves into almost whatever they please, and individually take on entire Coalition 4-person squads with a very strong chance of either dropping them or slowing and evading. At least, so I imagine.

But yeah. The Invulnerability means they are tough, tough, tough! But even the Unkillable was eventually killed against the Coalition in 109 P.A. according to Pips's lore. Makes me wonder if he ran out of Actions (or was otherwise prevented from moving) and couldn't Dodge? Be prepared. =)

Also, no idea exactly how a camera would work, but I can attempt to home brew a thing. Ellis is more thegetaway driver and the “pics or it didn’t happen” guy than a fighter, and I want the pics to be high quality if possible:)
Maybe give Pips the chance to get back on this? You never know what her solution will be. The nice thing about waiting for a Game Master to give their take on something is that it gives the GM time to shine too! =)

I just don't want you left out of the fun
That's the biggest part of it! I've taken basic hand-to-hand as a second level, which means its at level nine. I've updated my sheet to fit. I dont want to be left out, and the second time around, Ellis will be even more desperate to be in the thick of it all, not only fighting but doing. They cant let it happen again. camera in one hand, laser pistol in the other. (and since they can control light, and can parry laser blasts, does that mean that they can improve their own aim?)

The Invulnerability means they are tough, tough, tough!
They are immune to heat, cold, fire, electricity, lasers, bullets, punches, stabs, and all that jazz, radiation, poison, chemicals and the like only do half damage! its just magic and psionic stuff that works on them, and since the CS is so very anti magic and only has some psychics, well... but again, they'll pull out the big guns to kill the unkillable.

For everybody. =)

Good day to you too, Alex! 8D

This is precisely why I'm bringing this up. I don't really mind at all what Freya goes into battle with (even the Sword of Atlantis which, if there is a better sword for Undead Slayers of all levels, I don't know it). What melee person doesn't want a soul-stealing, dancing, ranged, spell-casting but-wait-there's-more weapon like that? Everyone wants to be at least competent at what they do, right? Everyone should shine, absolutely! Good PCs don't need uber-weapons to do it, but darned if they don't add to it all, right? That Battle Fury Blade too can probably carve through a CS mech in a single Round unassisted. Hey, have at! This player doesn't mind.

What I do mind is where it puts the rest of us. I think the rest of us had better keep up or we might regret it.

This is why I recommended Jeanne-Marie hop into a Super SAMAS instead of the base model SAMAS - it wasn't "cool factor;" with even one "uber-weapon" in our hands, I honestly think she's going to need it. You think the rest of Tolkeen's less-Good-aligned adventurers aren't going to want that the moment they see it? How about the CS themselves or anything else we run up against? It can go both ways. And it might. Even the Unkillables would have to notice.

So, be ready, I say. Now, if the PC's character concept aims otherwise (Alex's with no Hand to Hand Skill, not even Basic), then hey! Again, I say, enjoy! You be you! Just remember - the Coalition States are coming after you and your loved ones too! When they see you standing on the sidelines with a camera, I don't think they'll be saying, "Oh, he's no threat - he's just filming!" Just because you're not playing a damage-dealer doesn't mean you're no threat to the CS. They're blind, not stupid. Aren't they masters of propaganda and disinformation too? They know what a camera does. Not to spook anybody, but the CS just might see the camera guy as the biggest long-term threat.

In fact, if I were they, I'd see the big brain and grab him first and not only to stop his camera from shooting. Imagine what happens if they decide to nab our historian/scholar/journalist while we're distracted with that gang of Glitter Boy Killers chasing after the school bus full of young D-Bees (and, c'mon, tell me the CS wouldn't do it)? Well, bye bye, Alex's's PC while the CS greedily and painfully yanks every bit of sensitive information out of his head for the sake of doing it. Thus they might learn about Tolkeen, us, the Unkillables, his favorite Smurf, etc. I say, be prepared! And that means keeping up with our big guns. Don't bother bringing your .22 Magnum when you're up against 7.62mm and .30 caliber guns. =)

Finally, in terms of melee, Chan-Chan is sword-based. Until recently, I was going to start her off with no sword at all (then I realized, this wasn't possible because every Chiang-Ku comes with the 2D6 M.D. Tattoo sword - Okay). Have her hopefully come up with a cool edge down the road (she's support, not a warrior, and I want our warriors to shine). But yeah, I'm changing that. Let me be the first to follow my own advice.

If I have our GM's permission, Chan-Chan is coming packing something bigger than her tattoo-magicked 2D6 M.D. sword.
I'm fairly laid back in general, especially when it comes to the Palladium system in general (and Rifts in particular), at least in terms of balancing between characters. Because it's nigh impossible. That said, it wouldn't hurt if this group had a conversation on about where you want your relative combat abilities to be. Ellis has mostly opted out of being a damage dealer, which is a perfectly fine decision (my Alley Orzech could buff and debuff enemies but otherwise used her superspeed to...plink people with C-18 Pistols). For the rest of you, it'd be ideal if people didn't feel their character was trivialized by the overpowering capabilities of someone else.

Anyone have specific concerns? Recommendations? Your satisfaction individually matters, as does the group's satisfaction, or this is going to be a pretty short game...
Oh well yup looks like someone’s getting tortured/has potentially been tortured.
“Hahah you can’t even pull my fingernails out you fascist fucks. It’s not gonna work no matter how hard you tug.”

I don’t know if Ellis being held captive is going to have been a thing in the past or if that’s going to happen to us in rp, but I’ve been itching to use that insanity table.

Also, book four I think details the torture devices used, the constant white noise thing- and with their extreme hearing. Uhg. Poor Ellis.

I feel like Ellis would be sharing the most random shit if tortured. Like-
“WHERE IS THE HIDEING POINT OF ERIN TARN” and they just start screaming
“I AM THE VERY MODLE OF A MODERN MAJOR GENERAL IVE INFORMATION VEGITABLE ANIMAL AND MINERAL-“
And they are just being such a pain in the ass
Just FYI - It's unlikely your character's going to have specific strategies devised by the CS to capture them unless (A) the group makes an obvious, word-gets-around nuisance of themselves, (B) Ellis is particularly identifiable, (C) a bounty doesn't work (their usual approach for higher profile targets) and (D) Ellis is making themselves a clear and present danger for the CS.

As a point of reference, the six Coalition War Campaign books are full of NPCs who have massacred hundreds of Coalition soldiers and there's no real evidence the CS has devised bespoke capture-and-interrogate strategies for them. There's too many high-profile targets! Which is one reason they solve the Tolkeen problem by throwing literally hundreds of thousands of troops at them.

Your greatest odds of being captured and interrogated are if you're caught in the middle of doing something anti-CS and the soldiers have the drop on you.

Yeah, that is true. The coalition has infinitely more resources and time, and the dice will not last in my favor forever. Ellis may start with laughing through torture as a way to spit in the face of the coalition, but they will crumble eventually. Spite can only last so long to keep someone going. So can desperation to see a loved one. Ellis, when forced to talk, will try their best to lie, or to talk about unrelated things, but the journalist will eventually crack.

On another note, they are gonna need an explosion proof camera if that exists. Also, is there an internet like thing? Some kind of online database that they can upload videos to, as they are being taken live?

Anyway, I’m well aware that Ellis can act to draw fire, and would be targeted. That’s why I gave them evasive maneuvers and immunity to most if not all non magical damage.

And Purr Purr , I know the coalition would never hesitate to harm, torture and kill. They are the goddamn fascists. That’s how fascists work, and because of this fun little thing called generational trauma, I can’t just brush off or underestimate the cruelty of evil.

Being compelled to tell the truth, so responding by talking about other things that are true might work I think, so aggressively shouting that song so you don’t let slip anything important miiigghttt work to at least buy time.
So, Sherwood Psychie and Dannigan might also weigh in but to my recollection, there's no functional internet in Rifts Earth. In part because there's no wired infrastructure to support it. In part because satellites have been off-limits for centuries due to the killer satellites that laser anything anyone tries to put into orbit. And in part because the setting literally predates the public-version of the internet.

Your main method of distribution of footage is to get your camera to a city, get it to a news room and have them broadcast it for people who have TVs. An audio recording you can play over the radio will reach even more people. You can also make copies of tapes and distribute (or more to the point, turn over a copy of your tape to the Tolkeen government and they will create more copies and distribute for you, especially to their allies like Lazlo, New Lazlo, etc.).

SO NOT TO BE A BRONY OR ANYTHING (a dangerous way to start a sentence)
but I know All of the songs from like the first six seasons. My little sister loved that show, and watched them all, and I- I was there too. Oy vey. Thank you dann :)

Oh also- Hey pips, can I have that camera please? (:

Yes you can have the camera. It'll probably be a Coalition camera! Probably a Rifts RCSG Scientist camera meant for studying Rift activity (that would otherwise be at a high risk of getting destroyed or something). Go nuts.

In part because satellites have been off-limits for centuries due to the killer satellites that laser anything anyone tries to put into orbit
I'm just taking a short moment to weigh in on this. In the excellent sci-fi novel Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, when orbit becomes inaccessible (for very different reasons), they restore global communications using a system of sub-orbital communication balloons, which might be an idea for some government or another.

Epiphany Epiphany
I'm fairly laid back in general, especially when it comes to the Palladium system in general (and Rifts in particular), at least in terms of balancing between characters. Because it's nigh impossible. That said, it wouldn't hurt if this group had a conversation on about where you want your relative combat abilities to be. Ellis has mostly opted out of being a damage dealer, which is a perfectly fine decision (my Alley Orzech could buff and debuff enemies but otherwise used her superspeed to...plink people with C-18 Pistols). For the rest of you, it'd be ideal if people didn't feel their character was trivialized by the overpowering capabilities of someone else.
Ah, I think we've tried but I can't be certain how far we got? I asked folks to write a brief description of their character's preferred role a short while ago? I started with mine and we went from there.

As for feeling trivialized, I share your concern - it's not easy for caring people to step forward and say it: "Hey, your character is the one I'm hiding behind because there's no way mine will half as <powerful/cool/tough/awe-inspiring/take your pick> as mine. That is, er, unless you wouldn't mind nerfing them?" I certainly don't want to be that person so I've reached a point where I don't want to "shorten anyone else's line" but instead "lengthen my own." But yeah! I hope folks speak up. Stuff like this is much harder to change down the road as opposed to now in character creation, right?

Anyone have specific concerns? Recommendations? Your satisfaction individually matters, as does the group's satisfaction, or this is going to be a pretty short game...
At this stage, I haven't seen any warning signs besides those I've already posted about and the vast majority of those have been addressed as far as I know.

So, Sherwood Psychie and Dannigan might also weigh in but to my recollection, there's no functional internet in Rifts Earth.
In my own games, the World Wide Web is a thing long gone. Intranet, however, definitely still exists in the precious few technological realms that can make it happen. Hiroshima in Japan and Chi-Town in what was Illinois are two examples. By Intranet, I mean Internet-like communication based completely on non-satellite communication. So... basically fiber optic. And where in these cities? Well, the public has it in Hiroshima but Chi-Town only has it in their military bases and closed-in networks.

"Go nuts?" Aw, man! Heh heh! If Ellis were psychic, I'd be asking, "How about the TW 'Psychic Camera' camera that allows you to photograph spirits and such?" (Book of Magic, page 332)

In other news, I've never actually watched My Little Pony...
Please watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (especially those last three words. There are jerks out there who like to make their own stuff using Hasbro's licensed material and act like My Little Pony is their original creation instead of... well... the original creator Lauren Faust!). My fave, Pinkie Pie, is the ultimate ADHD cartoon personality and Twilight Sparkle is Chan-Chan's favorite (because she's so studious!) Also, Twilight Sparkle is voice by my favorite voice actor, the incredible Tara Strong! This lady is a born roleplayer if there ever was one!

As for a fun episode to start with? Well, start at the beginning, of course! And hey! If your 7-year-old Mini-Pip hears this and likes it, well, hooray, I say! Such a blast! =)
"My Little Pony : Friendship is Magic Season 1 Episode 1"

EDIT: It's a two-parter!

I'm just taking a short moment to weigh in on this. In the excellent sci-fi novel Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, when orbit becomes inaccessible (for very different reasons), they restore global communications using a system of sub-orbital communication balloons, which might be an idea for some government or another.
Neat! I bet that takes as much science as making certain the balloons stay up there.

In other news, I'm closing in on my first draft of Chan-Chan's hoard. I hope everyone finds it entertaining? =)

Last edited:
Epiphany Epiphany

Heya! Here are my most-recent Chan-Chan related notes and ideas. She is nearing completion! =)
Hmm. Hoard of 1st-5th level goodies. Some useful but non-rune sword Chan-Chan can rely on. Every last word of this post is subject to Pips's discretion. It is only in if she wants it. =) These are not necessarily items that Chan-Chan wished for or even knew existed - they are simply what is - the collection she has accumulated.

So... Chan-Chan's a 30-year-old highly-active Chiang-Ku dragon hatchling Grey Seer and has literally been adventuring from the week she was born (maybe even the day given how hatchlings can be)... what has she accumulated in her hoard? Well, everything she hasn't given away to those less fortunate (Grey Seer). But to build up a hoard? Where has she been to collect things? Well, she's born in China, has visited Atlanteans in one or more of their strongholds, but has been based in Tolkeen for years. At least a decade, I'm guessing.

Just today, she received the surest sign of all that Tolkeen and its shadow-filled king are going to fall if the times keep as they are. She has received hints before. How long before? Don't know. But I imagine she started kicking up her "collect what you can and get it out of Tolkeen" goal the very day that started up.

So... in that spirit, what has she been pulling together all this time? Maybe this.

Chan-Chan's hoard.
A small library's worth (4 to 5 living rooms' worth) of flatscreen TVs, a few laptop computers, Blu Rays, books, maps, hard drives, perhaps even some servers of Pre-Rifts data - some of which was on the Internet when it existed and some private. She has three trunks filled with Pre-Rifts "life before the Cataclysm" papers, catalogues, advertisements, maps, magazines, and the like. There is also a collection of National Geographic magazines with their excellent photography and video articles in Blu Ray form.

Perhaps Chan-Chan raided a house (or several) belonging to college campus professors or administration. We're talking collections of popular Pre-Rifts series like Sagan's Cosmos, DeGrasse Tyson's Star Talk, on the same shelves as Schoolhouse Rock, Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and PBS Digital Studios (go go melodysheep!). Musical collections range from the (then) easily-found Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart to that crazy Austrian guy singing about Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart to many music-makers in-between.

Other forms of Pre-Rifts entertainment include cartoon collections (like Teen Titans Go!), anime (like Azumanga Diaoh), and movies (like anything from Jackie Chan) and TV series series classics like (O.O.C.: Spoiler in this one. Matt Smith, very 1st episode) Doctor Who. Chan-Chan's favorite series among them all is, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. And what would a collection like this be without video games? Especially fighting games and horror games. She is still on the lookout for large piles of other universes that she hasn't gotten her happy little claws on. But if you are wondering if she has something to do at all times whilst cooped in her lair? The answer to that is yes. Always yes. Whether or not she has a particular title, series, or collection or how many copies she might have on hand is up to Pips.

Weapons
Pips mentioned a 4th level NPC baddie with a rune axe. Everyone else is at least 7th level all the way up to 14th and this being Rifts, the sky is the limit). Rune axe, huh? Sounds cool, right? So how about this? Chan-Chan has yet to find an Asian magical sword beyond that of a simple practice weapon, she uses a Western blade at the start of game. But... why make it something bland?

Magical double-edged short sword called "Flare."
Forged by master bladesmith and longtime warrior, James Rissoli, this adventurous soul traveled across the Atlantic Ocean to one of the world's most active volcanoes, Stromboli Volcano in Italy, which today is near a powerful ley line. During the hottest time of the year not long after yet another eruption from the famous volcano, Master Rissoli, chose to forge several weapons, Flare being the first and hottest of the bunch. This blade was given as a gift to his longtime friend, Vicki Sarbez, a rogue scientist whose physical disabilities prevent her from trans-Atlantic travel. She passed away in the 1st century P.A. in her home in what was formerly Ann Arbor, Michigan near her favorite dig site, the University of Michigan (a public research college before the Cataclysm). It was here that Chan-Chan, on a solo mission to U.M. found Ms. Sarbez's home, her own research, and hanging inside the fireplace still dimly lit and "holding the flame," Flare. This weapon which easily doubles as many a useful tool is Chan-Chan's most prized in her hoard.

Flare has the ability to control its own smokeless fire-magic for a number of useful functions. Simply by thinking of the desired temperature or function, Flare's wielder can instantly activate any option as long as the wielder is touching it. Flare can glow softly or shine like a dimmable lamp, comfortably warm an area with a 20-foot radius, serve as the heat-source for a portable stove, become red-hot to cause Mega-damage to whatever it comes into contact with, or cool itself to lukewarm temperature in an instant. Flare can start fires by touching combustible material and cut or weld M.D. metals like a welding torch (minus the blinding sparks - no protective eyewear required). When not being used to warm a fireplace, Flare is kept in a custom-made Mega-damage fireproof sheath along with a second, smaller non-magical S.D.C. knife which is kept in a second sheath bound to the outside of the first. This much-smaller knife otherwise looks exactly like Flare minus the heat.

Mega-Damage: 2D6 M.D. Blade damage + 2D6 M.D. Fire damage. (Note: Chan-Chan's Skills add another 2D6 M.D.)
Special Abilities: Variable heat. It is a magically-enchanted blade which provides a +1 to Strike and Parry in combat. Cannot be damaged by fire. Flare never burns, slices, or otherwise harms its wielder even if the wielder grabs it by its red-hot edge.
Weight: 2 lbs. (0.9 kg)

NG-B50 "Thunderer" BigBore Combat Hammer (Rifts Northern Gun Book 1, p. 208)
Weight 14 lbs. (6.3 kg).
Range: Melee only.
Mega-Damage: 2d6 S.D.C. + P.S.; double damage to vampires (silver plating). Blunt M.D. Weapon: 1D6 M.D. + M.D. P.S. DAMAGE.
BigBore Shotgun Shells: 2D4 M.D. per single shell/bullet. See the BigBore Shotgun Shells in Rifts Black Market for the knockdown effects.
Rate of Fire: 1D4 (Roll 1d4 to determine how many shells go off with each hit.).
Payload: 8 total (4 on each side). Loading a single shell counts as two Actions. (Wonder if a speed-loader could be made for it?)
Cost: 17,000 cr. (includes silver plating). 120 credits per shell or 16,000 for box of 144.

Manoan "Fireball" TW Rifle (Book of Magic, p. 313).
Mega-Damage: 4D6+6 per blast.
Rate of Fire: 1/Action.
Range: 1,600 feet (488 m).
Payload: 24 shots per P.P.E.-Clip or 15 P.P.E. per blast.
Cost: 20,000-35,000 credits in Manoa, rarely found elsewhere in the world.

NOTE TO PIPS: TW Sonic Rifle OR TW Storm Rifle? I think asking for both is too much?

TW Sonic Rifle (Book of Magic, p. 326).
Mega-Damage: Unleashes a modified version of the Shockwave spell (p. 123)
Rate of Fire: Single shot only.
Range: 600 feet (183 m).
Payload: 5 per P.P.E.-Clip.
Cost: 320,000 credits, P.P.E. clip: 40,000 credits.

TW Storm Rifle - Non-Tolkeen version (Book of Magic, p. 326).
Mega-Damage: 5D6 M.D. lightning bolt or unleashes the equivalent of a 3rd level Wind Rush spell (p. 119)
Rate of Fire: Single shot only.
Range: Lightning bolt: 2,000 feet (610 m). Wind Rush: 1,000 feet (305 m).
Payload: 6 per P.P.E.-Clip.
Cost: 280,000 credits, P.P.E. clip (40,000 credits).

Strange Tools
1 small P.P.E. battery (holding 50 P.P.E.).
8 P.P.E. clips. (no E-clips. Has nothing that uses them at the moment.)
3 small P.P.E. generators (for small homes) to keep her lair powered.
3 TW Silencers (Book of Magic, p. 333).
1 Thought Projector (Book of Magic, p. 333) - (ought to come in very useful for post-mission debriefings.)

Atlantean Crystal Items (from Secrets of the Atlanteans, pages 137-142). Item/Quantity (power/P.P.E. cost). Credit cost.
1. 2 Water Crystals - points to water for 2 hours - 1 P.P.E., creates 1 gallon of drinking water - 8 P.P.E., points to body of salt water/sea or ocean - 2 P.P.E.). 10,000 cr. each.
2. 3 Campfire Crystals (provides dimmable light and heating for 20 foot area for 2 hours every 4 P.P.E.). 8,000 cr.
3. Sheltering Crystal (casts Sheltering Force per Book of Magic, page 114. - 20 P.P.E.,). 45,000 cr.
4. Crystal of Civility (creates a civil, cool-headed, and fair atmosphere in 12-foot radius - 20 P.P.E.). 30,000 cr.
5. 4 Communication Crystals (magical communication, 20 mile range for 10 minutes, double range on ley line, triple on nexus point - 1 P.P.E.) 40,000 cr. (I imagine she'll give 3 of these to our non-Atlanteans to borrow if she feels she can trust them.)

Credits
12 credsticks of varying age and quality totaling 6,548 credits.

Chan-Chan's lair.
Chan-Chan's lair of many years is the inside of an unusable, irreparable, completely-stripped, blasted-out hulk of what used to be an early-model Coalition States Death's Head Armored Transport (top section only, see Rifts Ultimate Edition, p. 252) converted into suitable and comfortable living arrangements for one dragon hatchling plus hoard. It is located outside of Tolkeen, northwest of the city in the direction of Xiticix territory where hardly anyone with brains or sense wants to go.

A long time ago, it appears someone out there sent the flying and badly-damaged hover-less transport straight into the ground where some grand battle took place resulting in the incapacitating, but not the complete destruction of, the 100-meter-long transport. Then it was wholly-stripped of every last weapon, electronic device, and piece of data down to the last E-Clip until all that was left of the ship were mechanical functions (doors, hatches) that were evidently too much trouble to be removed.

At some later date, other people unknown to Chan-Chan discovered the hulk and after no small amount of effort, turned it into a rather comfortable living space for some kind of creatures smaller than Chiang-Ku dragons but clearly larger than humans. Here it stayed in secrecy for a great long while with little comforts, some magical, some technological, added in until it no longer required outside support.

Some time after this, perhaps years, the transport was then somehow sunk into the earth until it was swallowed up entirely as if by magic. However, underneath its crash-landing site was a gigantic underground cavern with no way out and devoid of all life except plant-life. Into this spring-fed domain, the transport gently fell and now remains, surrounded by glowing lichens, underground plants of many varieties, and complete secrecy from anyone and everyone so far as Chan-Chan knows. The air inside is neither moist nor foul but kind of sweet thanks to an underground-growing plant that smells similar to jasmine. Since she does not need to eat, there is no food here (but plenty topside if you can catch it). There are 3 small P.P.E. generators here that help her keep everything powered.

There is but one complete tunnel into the place - the spring hidden at the bottom of a nearby river. Entering or leaving her lair, she will either fly as a mist or in her natural (wingless) form using Invisibility: Superior until she reaches the river, then she will transform into a smaller shape that swims. Would-be guests (for she has never had any here) must use Breathe Without Air spells and swim via skill or use Swim as the Fish spells. Chan-Chan will use metamorphosis to transform into some native wildlife and swim, following the spring tunnel to enter and leaving through the exit channel. Inside her lair, she has created two more tunnels as emergency escape routes. They are meant for her to use her dragon-form and supernatural strength to quickly smash through to the surface should she have to flee quickly These two tunnels 95% dug up from the inside and some meters from the surface beneath large, old trees which she will have to uproot to leave from.

Chan-Chan always leaves a number of Mystic Alarm spells to tip her off (and use her Blazing Comet tattoo to get her back home). When she has to deposit items into her lair, she either delivers them herself or she might cast Teleport: Lesser on the items. She hopes one day to discover the Wards spell to keep this precious place safe.

Grey Seers start with no vehicles, preferring to walk. That's perfectly fine. Chan-Chan has no piloting skills anyway, but if she gets one in the future, I have a feeling I know what she would go after. But that's later, not now.

So yeah. The only thing I'm really drawing a blank on is this - Chan-Chan's really missing stuff from her birthplace, China. She was born and raised in China and every time I look up something in my collection of Palladium books, either its temporary lasting only a year or so (Green Scarf Taoist Sect - barf!) or it is not 1st-5th level stuff but the heavy stuff. Not sure how to proceed here - it doesn't need to be powerful or rare or even magical - just preferably... Chinese, useful, and lasting?

Last edited:
Good morning everypony!! How are we all doing today?
Ellis has mostly opted out of being a damage dealer
Yup! And I’m all good with that role. The Atlanteans, Jeanne Marie, and to slightly smaller extents Priya and Chan Chan can handle vaporizing the deadboys. Ellis is here to record and to be our hype man. Sure they can fight back if need too, they have a gun and they’ve used it before, but mainly, they’re a support class.
the group makes an obvious, word-gets-around nuisance of themselves
Sounds like a good plan to me! /hj
Ellis’s broadcasts, especially the one in the death camp when the unkillables did a rescue operation in the later part of the war (that did happen right? If I’m making stuff up just let me know) would win some notice by the CS, but that hasn’t happened yet in this timeline.
killer satellites that laser anything anyone tries to put into orbit
Well then: clearly, some shit has happened. No internet, so teleporting the memory card back to Tolkien?
Hurrah!! *turns into a pile of almonds*

Epiphany Epiphany

Chan-Chan would like to spend 10 I.S.P. to activate her Enhanced Perception power, please?

And to everybody - sorry for the big introduction post - after editing it down a good 15%, I didn't know how else to say it all. I will try to keep my future posts "down to a dull roar" so as to not overshadow anyone. Hope everyone liked the post! =)

I am going to try shorten Chan-Chan's post - it just takes up too much real estate. I think I can express it all with less. Call it a writing challenge in the interests of self-improvement?

Edit: Boy, I made some grammatical errors on this one! *fix fix fix*

Last edited:
Epiphany Epiphany EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 Eonivar Eonivar Esbilon Esbilon Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

Okies, I have a request. Among the PCs, who does Chan-Chan know and not know? I remember our chats here in O.O.C., but I recall a lot of "what ifs" and less "I'm sures." Who has definitely worked with Chan-Chan before in the library? Or perhaps traded goods for credits or services? Or just knows her as a neighbor or fellow adventurer?

Epiphany has set it up that Chan-Chan is seeing each of your characters as "black and white." I feel whether we know each other, and how, and for how long will have a strong bearing in how we treat each other.

I imagine after we decide this, then we will make concrete our knowledge of the Unkillables and story-wise move in their direction?

I would love it if Ellis had worked besides Chan Chan at the library. Ellis would have frequented and then volunteered at the library a lot, and I’d love it if the pair had some relationship from that!

Jeanne-Marie is working with the Unkillables already, so if Chan-Chan has interacted with them, it's very likely they've at least traded words. In particular, if the Colonel needed to trust Chan-Chan, Jeanne-Marie is one of the people who helps him figure out whether that's something he can safely do since killing people isn't the only thing she can do with her brain.

I would love it if Ellis had worked besides Chan Chan at the library. Ellis would have frequented and then volunteered at the library a lot, and I’d love it if the pair had some relationship from that!
EmperorNorton1 EmperorNorton1 Eonivar Eonivar
Yeah! Me too! Volunteers require training like everyone else, right? Perhaps Chan-Chan's superiors asked her to train Ellis and they hit it off? Now they have worked alongside one another for <fill in whatever amount of time you think is reasonable here> as buddies and co-workers? If this is so, then that might open the door for Praya and Chan-Chan knowing each other if Eon likes that idea?

Chan-Chan has worked at the Tolkeen library and nearby pawn shop for just over a decade (they just celebrated her 10 years there). What role does she fill? Why not a librarian with a part-time job at the pawn shop (one frequented by adventurers)? While she has little interest in politics (that seems like a subject Esbilon, Eon, and you might enjoy tossing around in-character?), Chan-Chan would know much of Tolkeen like the back of her claw. Perhaps Ellis and Chan-Chan have often been tasked together to come up with answers others needed but didn't have? OooOOOOoo! =)

Note: Chan-Chan hasn't told anyone about her being a Chiang-Ku except for the Grey Seers (and only a handful of her most trusted of mentors there). She prefers to keep to her human form or that of a Japanese Kumo-Mi (just as exotic to Western onlookers, I imagine).

Jeanne-Marie is working with the Unkillables already, so if Chan-Chan has interacted with them, it's very likely they've at least traded words. In particular, if the Colonel needed to trust Chan-Chan, Jeanne-Marie is one of the people who helps him figure out whether that's something he can safely do since killing people isn't the only thing she can do with her brain.
Yeah! That sounds great! This brings us closer together for certain!

Chan-Chan has worked at the Tolkeen library and nearby pawn shop for just over a decade
Chan-Chan would definitely know Priya who has lived in Tolkeen her whole life, Priya is also an Apprentice to the King and a Doctor and Leader of the local Hospital. So she is somewhat of a local public figure. It’s possible Chan-Chan may sense a bit of Priya’s divinity too. Priya would have been to the library quite a bit.

Chan-Chan would definitely know Priya who has lived in Tolkeen her whole life, Priya is also an Apprentice to the King and a Doctor and Leader of the local Hospital. So she is somewhat of a local public figure. It’s possible Chan-Chan may sense a bit of Priya’s divinity too. Priya would have been to the library quite a bit.
Eonivar Eonivar "Priya" not "Praya." Whoops! =) Why would Priya frequent the library? (I mean, I can try and guess, but why do that when I can just ask the person playing her, right?)

If Chan-Chan sensed even a teeny bit of said divinity, her curiosity would indeed be piqued. I imagine Chan-Chan would watch her but not intrusively (no active powers but her Grey Seer powers sometimes act on their own - like sensing Priya's goodness and absence of evil).

What do you want Chan-Chan to know?

Esbilon Esbilon Same here for Jeanne-Marie. I imagine the vibes she would get from Jeanne-Marie (like death-sense) would be something she could not ignore (but likely come by it innocently - I get the feeling sometimes her powers do their own thing?). What do you want her to know?

I just realized that her Grey Seer powers are not described in her character sheet. See Federation of Magic, page 89, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back