• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rifts Adventure OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Sherwood Sherwood In your Palladium Rifts game, is cold counted as a form of energy (specifically in regards to the Impervious to Energy spell)? =)
Considering that it would work against cold-based attacks like a Cone of Cold, it will protect you from damage from spells or attacks using that energy type. I will have to ponder if it would also protect you from more persistent cold effects like you will be dealing with in the Antarctic. It probably will, but I want to think it over.

Well, here is a question. Would Immunity to Energy protect you against environmental heat, like in a desert? Why would it work against sub-zero temps that are not an attack? Not trying to be a jerk, but just putting it out there.

Well, here is a question. Would Immunity to Energy protect you against environmental heat, like in a desert? Why would it work against sub-zero temps that are not an attack? Not trying to be a jerk, but just putting it out there.
Never thought you were trying to be a jerk in adding such an excellent question to some good shop talk! =)

As I said, I want to ponder this before locking in an answer. You do have a point, though.

If either of you are interested in my take, I'll let you know what is BUT I only want to provide that in the spirit of adding to your knowledge and not trying to sway you one way or the other.

However...

Sherwood Sherwood O.K.. Now you've got me curious. Cone of Cold is a D&D spell. What cold-based spell are you referring to that states it is blocked by Impervious to Energy? I can't find it in Book of Magic but maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

IIRC, there are Ice Dragons that have cold-based breath weapons, and I think that there are spells that do cold damage. I just knew that Cone of Cold, even as a DnD spell, would get my point across.

If you have feedback, I would welcome hearing your input on this.

And while there may not be posted book monsters with cold powers, I am planning on some cold-based monsters/elementals for your Antarctica run.

And while there may not be posted book monsters with cold powers, I am planning on some cold-based monsters/elementals for your Antarctica run.
Oh, I hadn't even thought of that! =)

If you have feedback, I would welcome hearing your input on this.
O.K.. Here's my take on it along with references. =)

In the spell's description, it states in its entirety (Book of Magic, page 113 in physical copy):

"The spell caster can make himself impervious to all forms of energy including fire, heat, electricity, lasers and so on. Energy attacks do no damage whatsoever. Physical attacks, guns, knives, clubs, explosives, and even punches, etc., no normal damage."

As always, I turn to science! I Googled "Is cold a form of energy?" I'll add info from three linkable sources:

1. "No, 'coldness' really just is the absence of heat energy." - physics.stackexchange.com

O.K., I thought after reading a bit about that. So... I Googled "Why is cold not a form of energy?" This was the best answer I found:

2. "The reason is that energy is always transferred from a body at higher temperature to a body at lower temperature and, as a result, there is no such thing as “cold” flowing from the ice to the drink." - highschoolenergy.asc.org

I found that entire article outstanding! But yet, your friendly neighborhood ADHD-blessed GM's curiosity was not yet sated. So! I went to a site I often enjoy concerning Palladium games - their forums! I found this, "What Energies Does Energy Absorption Not Work On?" The answers among fellow gamers of years past varied!

3. "I'd exclude cold, darkness and sonic/vibration. The rest are fair IMHO" - Palladiumbooks.com

So! In my head, until I receive better science, cold is the absence of energy! But is this too true? I asked science one last question. "What are the forms of energy?" Where did I find my best answer? At the U.S. Energy Information Administration who replies that cold is NOT one of the forms of "potential" energy out there.

4. From the U.S. Energy Information Administration's website:

"Many forms of energy exist, but they all fall into two basic categories:
  • Potential energy
  • Kinetic energy
Potential energy includes - Chemical, Mechanical, Nuclear, and Gravitational.
Kinetic energy includes - Radiant, Thermal, Motion, Sound, and Electrical. (Re: Palladium forums. Sorry to the guy who would exclude sound waves - these folks disagree!).

Nowhere in here is cold listed as a form of energy which draws me to believe - cold is not a form energy and thus is not affected in any way by an Impervious to Energy spell)! =)

Honor and fun,
Dann =)

A good hoodie should be fine.
For Antarctica? Hah! No way! Since our Robotech: Broadsword game is taking place there, I've learned Antarctica is one of the coldest places on Earth! As cool as hoodies are, most months, you'd find me in a full cold weather suit (like those who live and work there). =)

EDIT: My error! According to this website (which I found when I Googled "What to wear in Antarctica"), the South Pole is the coldest (and windiest) place on Earth! I am (happily) corrected! =)

Interesting. Ok, given that, I am comfortable to say that Immunity to Energy will not protect you from ambient cold or heat (as mentioned by Psy). Odd that cold-based attacks wouldn't count as an energy attack, but I'll go with it.

Looking at the Secrets of The Atlanteans book, there is a specific Immunity to Cold tattoo. Perhaps I should pick it up.

The Blazing Comet one already gives you protection vs the hostile environment of space, which includes cold. As long as you keep that one running you should be fine.

So you're ruling that Impervious to Energy does not affect ambient heat (like living in a desert) and Blazing Comet protects against cold?

Hmm! I've come to think of Impervious to Energy as the ultimate sunblock (SPF 1,000,000!). Nuclear energy is energy. If Impervious to Energy protects from the sun's own energy, what desert's heat can harm you? That energy comes from the sun.

Also, Blazing Comet protects against the rigors of space (even if the M.D. of the forcefield is taken down, probably so the PC isn't instantly killed in a space battle by the lack of air, etc.). But hey! This is Sherwood's game so O.K.! =)

Disclaimer: I'll say it again because I think it bears repeating: I'm not trying to sway anyone one direction or another; I just mean to share what I've learned should it affect any games I'm running. =)

I would think that while you would be able to walk through a blazing inferno, the dry heat and conditions of the Sahara Desert wouldn't be blocked by the spell effects, just the same as the sub-zero temps would not. There are specific tattoos to deal with extreme cold and heat, along with protective spells that do the same that are cheaper PPE wise than Impervious to Energy is.

O.K.! I think I've covered everything? I've long been looking forward to 9th level. This is, I think, Snowfall's best level in terms of raw gains. =)

Snowfall has gained the following:

1. M.D.C. - 11 + 1D6 M.D. (4). +1d6 to Chi (3).
2. P.P.E. - 10 + 6 (non-Dimensional tattoo) = 16.
3. Tattoo - Beast Breathing Ice (Secrets of the Atlanteans, 148 in physical copy). =)
4. New Spell - Speed of the Snail
5. New Skill - Lore: Religion 45% +5% (+10% for being in the Magic category? Lore spells are in Technical for which they get a +10% bonus. +5% from Mythology per Sherwood).
6. Attribute Point for 9th level - M.A. (why not make him more likeable?).
7. From Fox Spirit - +1 to Initiative, Strike, and damage (House Rule - instead of a Zenjoriki Martial Art Power).
8. From Hand to Hand: Tai Chi - +1 to Initiative, Strike, and damage (House Rule - instead of a Zenjoriki Martial Art Power).
9. 10 total Action Points (up from 9 as Sherwood & Psychie round up in their games).
10. From Hand to Hand: HEMA (Level 2 to 8): W.P. Paired Weapons, W.P. Chain, W.P. Archery, W.P. Spear, W.P. Knife.
11. (Added Skill percentages for reaching 9th level.)

Sherwood Sherwood Does that look right to you?

O.K.! I think I've covered everything? I've long been looking forward to 9th level. This is, I think, Snowfall's best level in terms of raw gains. =)

Snowfall has gained the following:

1. M.D.C. - 11 + 1D6 M.D. (4). +1d6 to Chi (3).
2. P.P.E. - 10 + 6 (non-Dimensional tattoo) = 16.
3. Tattoo - Beast Breathing Ice (Secrets of the Atlanteans, 148 in physical copy). =)
4. New Spell - Speed of the Snail
5. New Skill - Lore: Religion 45% +5% (+10% for being in the Magic category? Lore spells are in Technical for which they get a +10% bonus. +5% from Mythology per Sherwood).
6. Attribute Point for 9th level - M.A. (why not make him more likeable?).
7. From Fox Spirit - +1 to Initiative, Strike, and damage (House Rule - instead of a Zenjoriki Martial Art Power).
8. From Hand to Hand: Tai Chi - +1 to Initiative, Strike, and damage (House Rule - instead of a Zenjoriki Martial Art Power).
9. 10 total Action Points (up from 9 as Sherwood & Psychie round up in their games).
10. From Hand to Hand: HEMA (Level 2 to 8): W.P. Paired Weapons, W.P. Chain, W.P. Archery, W.P. Spear, W.P. Knife.
11. (Added Skill percentages for reaching 9th level.)

Sherwood Sherwood Does that look right to you?
Looking pretty spiffy to me.

Whew! That leap from 1st level Hand to Hand: HEMA to 8th is a real mental challenge; there's just so much there to take on. Kaerri's Eadric in Robotech: Broadsword just made that jump tonight and I'm glad one only has to do that once! Sil? When it's Eron's turn, I'll guide you through it if you want the help! Kaerri did it slightly differently than I did (in terms of how to keep the data); I'm sure she wouldn't mind helping if you wanted it. =)

It makes me glad that I'm now playing characters that have now provided firsthand experience with Hand to Hand: Jeet Kune Do 2.0 (in Psychie's game) and HEMA (here). Now I see what it's like and it's... quite eye-opening! This is what I wanted both systems to look like at their relative levels! HEMA especially is not something I'd recommend for the first-time Palladium PC. But for those with experience? Heck yeah! It's pretty much everything I wanted it to be.

And that's a really nice feeling given all the time I've put into it! 8D

200.gif

Now I've got to do some more reading about Kitsune. All this time, I was under the impression that Inari was male (as it is in White Wolf games). For the most part, those on Wikipedia seem to agree that Inari is either male, female, or androgynous. So earlier this week, when Sherwood referred to Inari as female, I had to look it up as I realized I wasn't sure! Thanks to the technology of the internet, now I know!

But learning breeds curiosity. Or if you like Dr. Tyson's take on it: "A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you are right, but not knowing enough to know you are wrong."

I don't mind being wrong, I don't feel the "need" to be right, but I really mind not being accurate! That drives me nuts sometimes!

So what's the latest curiosity? Kitsune! If I had Inari wrong (which, actually I didn't, but I didn't know the full truth which isn't the same thing to me), what of Kitsune? How can I play Snowfall more accurately while still falling into the realm of having fun in a Rifts setting? Should he have 7 tails? Inari's Kitsune had white fur, but do they have to have 9 tails prior to having white fur?

So I bought this book that looked promising, Come and Sleep: The Folklore of the Japanese Fox by Christopher Kincaid, and once I finish it, I hope to be the wiser. I may have to add a few changes to my favorite celestial messenger. Stay tuned for more foxy news! =)

Oh! And concerning "Terra's" (bar), I have yet to make use of Snowfall's Cooking and Brewing Skills? Both he and I are wondering if, back when the bar was being put together, might Psychie Psychie have minded his offering of those skills? He may be Japanese, but Snowfall has been all over this Megaverse (GM discretion). I can only imagine what he might be able to put on the menu! Especially if "Terra's" was to, ahem, stand out a little from the other bars in Eris Nova? Just putting it out there! =)

lol I had no idea that I was opening up such a can of worms for you by calling Inari female. I don't even remember why did that; I guess it just seemed to be a female-sounding name to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back