Other Random question of the day

Not sure about the length in kilometers, but it was a 8 hours flight.

21-23 hour flight to Africa from the US, and then back again a few years later. My mom told me I never napped again after that.

Random question of the day:

Is it an underhanded tactic for million dollar companies to hire social media influencers to work for them? (Example: Disney hiring Jake Paul due to his status as a Vine star at the time)

Is it an underhanded tactic for million dollar companies to hire social media influencers to work for them? (Example: Disney hiring Jake Paul due to his status as a Vine star at the time)
as opposed to the tactic of marketing to children while they are young and impressionable? I mean advertising is, in part, a lot of manipulation. So... I mean, does the clown doing the actual advertising really matter?

It certainly is a tactic, but I'm not sure I'd call it underhanded.
Kind of like calling a company that buys the biggest billboard in Times Square underhanded. You'll have to be more specific as to what exactly you mean by that.

Do bad movies/video games/TV shows exist as a balance towards the good movies/video games/TV shows in a similar vein to Yin and Yang?
If that's the case, we should be having WAY more good movies/TV shows than are currently out there. Way too much of that Yin out there. lol

Not as long as they don’t pretend it isn’t sponsored (or you know, make them lie about the product in general). Using popular people to advertise in of itself isn’t bad, it’s just trying to reach a wide number of people.

Do bad movies/video games/TV shows exist as a balance towards the good movies/video games/TV shows in a similar vein to Yin and Yang?

Not really. However, they do exist relative to one another. In a very bad selection a bad movie may not seem as bad, and a masterpiece may seem quite mediocre if the selection is other masterpieces. Put another way - there will always be good and bad movies as the comparison will be made, the more bad movies there are the more good ones stand out, and vice versa. I would say, from the sample I’ve seen, that we’re in a pretty mediocre range nowadays.

What's one strange Christmas tradition in your family that you never see anyone else practice?
Every year I go up to New Mexico to chop down our Christmas tree with my parents. (we get a permit and everything) Over the years it has evolved to cutting down more than one since I don't live with them anymore. And now they are grandparents, so my child now accompanies me, accompanying them.

No answers yesterday. What a shame.

How rare is it to find people who can have an argument with someone in a mature manner?
pretty rare, tbh. And not just over the internet. I think I've known like maybe two people in recent years. My (ex) best friend and my father-in-law.

A lot more common than one might think, I would say, considering the internet’s reputation. I was often pleasantly surprised by how civil someone was, though there’s also been a few times I was disappointed instead when addressing someone I thought would behave properly. That being said, even when the other person is civil, the conversation isn’t necessarily productive. Even people arguing maturely will often seem to ignore what I’m saying, answering something to I neither said nor implied or re-stating their position multiple times instead of responding to my arguments, leading to a lot of cases where the conversation devolves to the point where I might as well just start quoting what I said previously completed by a “That’s not what I said”.

Bad. One of the worse years in my life. Probably comparable to 2016 and 2018 which were the absolute worst.

Notice for New Members: If you're gonna answer a previously asked question, please quote the question in particular so we can avoid confusion on which question you're answering.

Notice for everyone, New Members included: Please keep debates and SilvaGunner esque nonsense conversations out of this thread. If you're not gonna answer a question, then please don't say anything.

Notice for everyone, New Members included: Don't ask your own questions in this thread. Only I get to ask questions.

Link to the discussion thread for discussion of loaded questions or questions in general: Other - Random question of the day: The Discussions

In this thread I will ask a question everyday, and you will have to answer it. So the first random question of the day is:

What do you prefer? Playstation or Xbox?
I grew up with both! But I prefer Playstation. That might be because I used to play little big planet and monster rancher? 🤷🏾‍♀️

Users who are viewing this thread

• Idea
Back