Other Random question of the day

In what places do you tend to think of the weirdest stuff?
In the car. Sometimes I realize I've been speeding because I was thinking way too deeply about something inane or weird.
Also when hiking. Typically I'm thinking about nature/the sights/etc but then I'll get a groove going and sink into thoughts that are not typical.

As a rule of thumb lower taxes are a good thing in my view, provided of course they are accompanied by lower government expenses (since otherwise the taxes weren’t really reduced just hidden).

Yes. Not a ton of examples come to mind, but I think a lot of surrenders in wars might be a good example. The results may not necessarily be good, but at least in the view of those who surrendered they are better than the alternative.

In more general terms though, there is the “sunken cost fallacy” to consider in this kind of discussion. Its mere existence is definitionally something which requires that sometimes giving up is the best option. That sometimes even if you already put a lot of time, effort and other resources into something, it is simply not worth the further costs if pursuing it.

Oh definitely.
If the thing you're supposed to be doing is no longer causing enjoyment, and the goal you're trying to achieve doesn't feel worth working for anymore, what's the point in continuing? That time you're spending could be relocated to something new that improves your life.

Random question of the day:

What's the longest amount of time you've gone without using internet?
not counting my entire childhood? There was about a year and a half where I lived between friends in various apartments, trailer homes, and basements. I didn't have a car, I didn't have a phone, and I definitely didn't have a computer. So, the better part of two years is my guess.

Again, not counting my childhood because I don't think I even saw a modem until I as like 7 or 8 years old.

I think I only actively started using internet when I was 14-15 or so. But if that doesn't count, I guess 1.5 months. I went to China and didn't have internet at home there, I might have used it at school to check emails a few times but aside from that, I wasn't using it.

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

What's one movie/TV show/video game concept that worked well on paper, but was poorly executed in practice?

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

What's one movie/TV show/video game concept that worked well on paper, but was poorly executed in practice?
D&D. there have been a few movies. Both animated and live action, and they are all terrible. I'm sure from a D&D nerd perspective, it sounded great. But ...well, if you haven't seen the D&D movie (the one with Marlon Wayans) you have been spared a torture. lmao

This would require a multilayered and extremely complex answer, which would probably be more of an essay than anything. However, I will give a vast oversimplification of it: We really don't forget it, or at least most people don't. I think a general understanding that acting for everyone's well-being is generally preferable, all else constant, than working against the interests of others, is something pretty innate or at least commonly developed by almost all human beings. The problem is it's not that you're not aware of what you're supposed to do - but in real life, other things are not equal and our perceptions are imperfect. Other things can take priority for you and/or you may be attempting to care for people and yet failing to do so in a way that results in what you're trying to accomplish.

Loving and caring for people, although nice, can be a huge inconvenience. We make sacrifices of time and true expression for others' approval. Plus, it's hard to care for people when they don't care back.

Depends on what you mean by 'rightful' I guess? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I also don't think they have any obligation to do it.

Oh I love when games do that! It makes it feel like there are consequences to your actions. It feels more real than if you just got away with all of your crimes.

Would life be better if taxes were as cheap as in Monopoly?
Nope. It'd probably be a lot worse.

Taxes are actually spent on things we need. Schools, Healthcare, etc.

If we had cheaper taxes, the money spent on those thing, and thus the quality of it, would be lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back