Other Random question of the day

Good Points:
-Place one can reach a lot of people through, thus getting answers that are large in amount.
-Division into subreddits means you can target your question to be viewed by people who are more closely connected - by interest, passion, experience or other such reasons- to the particular topic of what you want to know.
-From what I was told, it is considered one of the places one can go to in order to validate hypothesis for an entrepreneurship project, such as for gauging interest for a particular aspect of it.

Bad Points:
-It's the internet, whether its on purpose or by accident people will end up telling you a lot of stuff that's plainly wrong, as they themselves may be misinformed and/or just be making stuff up.
-To my understanding, while reddit considers itself a place with free speech, the system of downvotes/upvotes dictating what one sees first in combination with many mods in non-political or debate-based subreddits having both a political leaning and a willingness to censor the people they disagree with, means the information you do get can be "curated" so to speak.

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

Random question of the day:

How reliable is Reddit as a source of information?
I wouldn't know. I've never been directed to Reddit when looking up anything but maybe an occasional picture of something.

It depends. There are a lot of specialized communities where you get people who know a lot about specific subject and you can get reliable information there.
But also a lot of trolls and people who pass opinions for facts. Basically, can use it and your own discretion. Like every other resource.

It's alright for getting a basic overview of what's happening in the world, just be sure to cross-check anything you see with other sources.

It depends. There are a lot of specialized communities where you get people who know a lot about specific subject and you can get reliable information there.
But also a lot of trolls and people who pass opinions for facts. Basically, can use it and your own discretion. Like every other resource.
Basically this.

I don't have a Reddit and don't go there to read. I have a preferred site for information already... so dunno.

Not sure if I asked this one before, but...

Since platypuses are Australian creatures, would Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb have an Australian accent if he could talk?

Since platypuses are Australian creatures, would Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb have an Australian accent if he could talk?
Seeing as he does the Detective/Secret Agent shtick, it seems like he'd either have a Humphrey Bogart kinda voice or a 007 thing going on.

Fun Fact #1: Only the female platypus is venomous. They have a spur on their hindlegs that is routed with a venom duct. The males lack this feature.

Fun Fact #2: Platypus are one of two monotreme species left in existence. Monotremes are mammals that lay eggs through their cloacae, but still feed milk to their young after they hatch. (The other monotreme species is the Echidna)

Nah, I'd reckon he'd have an American accent. (I picture Perry sounding like Major Monogram but more nasal.) Hear me out:

To have an Australian accent he'd need to actually be from Australia or have been exposed mostly to Australians before meeting the Flynn-Fletchers. This would make the most sense if he were a wild platypus, but I can't see that being the case. Poachers kidnap a wild animal from it's happy home and smuggle it into the states and sell it (probably illegally) to the Flynn-Fletchers and nobody has a problem with this? Seems kind of dark for a Disney cartoon.

So Perry most likely came from a reputable platypus breeder. Perhaps this breeder lives in Australia, but in that case, how were the Flynn-Fletchers ever able to afford Perry? Exotic pets are expensive as heck even before having to ship them halfway around the world. Phineas and Ferb's parents are an antique store owner and a housewife and appear to be solidly middle-class; there's no way they could afford that. (An argument could be made that they're rich - so rich that they never notice all the expensive materials P&F buy to build their inventions. However the rest of their lifestyle doesn't match this, so it makes more sense to assume the Flynn-Fletchers are middle class and the boys get their funds elsewhere.) With as many other weird businesses as there are in Danville, a local platypus breeder isn't that far-fetched.

It's also worth mentioning that many emigrants find their accent eventually changes in line with the accent of their new country, so even an Australian Perry could have picked up a mostly American accent.

In conclusion: It's 2 a.m. and I spent entirely too long writing about the hypothetical accent of a fictional platypus that never even actually talks.

... Poachers kidnap a wild animal from it's happy home and smuggle it into the states and sell it (probably illegally) to the Flynn-Fletchers and nobody has a problem with this? Seems kind of dark for a Disney cartoon.
*coughs*
OIP.jpg

Nah, I'd reckon he'd have an American accent. (I picture Perry sounding like Major Monogram but more nasal.) Hear me out:

To have an Australian accent he'd need to actually be from Australia or have been exposed mostly to Australians before meeting the Flynn-Fletchers. This would make the most sense if he were a wild platypus, but I can't see that being the case. Poachers kidnap a wild animal from it's happy home and smuggle it into the states and sell it (probably illegally) to the Flynn-Fletchers and nobody has a problem with this? Seems kind of dark for a Disney cartoon.

So Perry most likely came from a reputable platypus breeder. Perhaps this breeder lives in Australia, but in that case, how were the Flynn-Fletchers ever able to afford Perry? Exotic pets are expensive as heck even before having to ship them halfway around the world. Phineas and Ferb's parents are an antique store owner and a housewife and appear to be solidly middle-class; there's no way they could afford that. (An argument could be made that they're rich - so rich that they never notice all the expensive materials P&F buy to build their inventions. However the rest of their lifestyle doesn't match this, so it makes more sense to assume the Flynn-Fletchers are middle class and the boys get their funds elsewhere.) With as many other weird businesses as there are in Danville, a local platypus breeder isn't that far-fetched.

It's also worth mentioning that many emigrants find their accent eventually changes in line with the accent of their new country, so even an Australian Perry could have picked up a mostly American accent.

In conclusion: It's 2 a.m. and I spent entirely too long writing about the hypothetical accent of a fictional platypus that never even actually talks.
Aaaah, the wonders of the brain after 12 AM. It sometimes brings out the most interesting fan theories on fiction. XD

Have you ever played Monopoly? If so, what's the longest game of Monopoly you've ever played?
yes. Terribly annoying game. I'm not sure hw long, but it was too. long. I won't play it anymore; I don't care what version it happens to be.

I've played Monopoly, but I don't think I've ever actually finished a game. Maybe once or twice as a kid. Slow, inevitable defeat just isn't fun.

I played it a couple times but I don't remember it being too long.

Not too long, but I've played it a bunch. My youngest sister loves board games, so we used to play them all the time [Mostly Clue though, but we've done various like Risk, Magic the Gathering, the Disney Villains game, Monopoly, etc]. I find most games of Monopoly don't go on that long mostly because we kinda quickly figure out which of us is going to win and call it game once it hits that 'tipping' point. Usually like an hour, maybe two. I really don't feel like it takes all that much longer then Life, Risk, Clue, etc, and it's mostly just because it's... a bit more 'management' so feels longer.

Is it true that if you hate a game franchise for trying something different with one of their games, you never even loved the franchise in the first place?

That actually happened to me. I loved a game, played it for 13+ years. And then them made a sequel. I really tried to like what they made because it was the sequel, the same world, similar mechanics. But the sequel just took all the gameplay and story elements that I loved and threw it out of the window, making it entirely different. And coincidentally, all those new elements were something I really dislike in games. It was the same franchise but the game itself was so different that it was basically the same just in the name.
I still love the first game with all my heart and consider one of the best games ever made, I hate the sequel almost as much.
It took me a while to accept that it's a different game. Name and lore doesn't matter, it's still a different game. I don't have to love it just because I loved the prequel.

So no, I don't think you have to love all games within a franchise. You can love individual games within that franchise.

Is it true that if you hate a game franchise for trying something different with one of their games, you never even loved the franchise in the first place?
no. people love and hate things in their own way, and it's kind of out of line to tell people how they feel about something

Not at all. I love the Yakuza series. Them changing to turn based combat wasn't my favorite thing with Y: Like a Dragon but I still love the series.

Would you rather have a liftetime supply of healthy food or a lifetime supply of junk food?
which category do hamburgers fall into? not fast-food hamburgers. like, homemade on the grill?
and bacon. is bacon junk food if you cook it yourself?

Last edited:
For yesterdays, no. Not at all. If you liked a game franchise for doing X and they stop doing X and instead do Y, it is totally understandable for someone to not like it. Blind brand loyalty is what is bad.

For todays... That depends on what you would call healthy. If lifetime supply of healthy food meant it was healthy food as believed to be by, say, a vegan then I'll take the junk food every time. If by 'healthy food' its more solid ingredients like free range meat, fresh veggies and fruits, etc, well, healthy every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back