• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
The past two months had been a blur of bullet trains that ran underground between cities, metro systems, nightmares and food Brooklyn couldn’t taste. The nightmares that had all but disappeared in Zach’s arms were back and worse than ever.

Fatigue clouded her ability to think and forced her eyes shut. She couldn’t sleep. Her mind wouldn't stop spinning, swirling, taking her a thousand places she didn't want to visit. She rested her head on the window and let the subtle vibrations of the bullet be her world for the moment. Around her, the hum of conversation sounded far away.

She didn’t remember getting off the bullet, didn’t remember walking up into the sunshine. Couldn’t have told you which streets she turned down. Only when someone splashed water from a fountain on her, did her eyes focus. The boy laughed as he sprayed more water at his friend.

The park could’ve been anywhere, for all Brooklyn noticed as she walked the paths curving around trees and green lawns. Flowers were in full bloom, but she didn’t notice them either. Her eyes stared ahead of her, almost unseeing as she kept walking. It was like opening your eyes underwater. Everything is there, but fuzzy. You can’t determine distance.

She turned when she thought she heard someone call her name. She couldn't imagine who would know her here. There was a man running toward her. She was too numb to be afraid, to worry about what his plans might be for her. Besides, she wasn't in any danger, regardless. She watched him flicker as he got closer. He looked almost like…almost like James. But that was impossible.

James shifted in and out of Brooklyn’s view as he ran toward her in flashes that looked like black fog. She stared at him, at his smile, the dark hair whipping around his head. It was impossible that he was here, right here in front of her after all these years. He couldn’t be real. This is what happened to people when they started to crack, wasn’t it?

The ground beneath her was solid. The sun was warm on her face. The branches of the trees around her danced to their own rhythm. James was a thing of shadows, only mostly visible. He couldn’t be real.

She closed her eyes to block out the image. It was because she was here in this city. That had been a mistake. She never should have come back…she couldn’t let herself think the word home. She’d been trying for long to wipe that word from her vocabulary altogether. It was like Narnia, where everyone but her knew where to find the wardrobe. For her, it was always just out of reach.

A wall of warmth collided with her, nearly knocking her to the ground, but strong arms wrapped around her. This. Is. Not. Real.

“Brooklyn!”

James never yelled. This was impossible. The arms pulled her tight against a chest. They swung her around. She kept her eyes closed. When she was back on her feet, a hand lightly touched her chin, tipped her head up far past where James’s face would be, if he were actually here. Which he wasn’t.

“Brooklyn,” the voice said, more urgently. It sounded so much like her James that her chest hurt at the sound of it. This voice was deeper, but there were notes that remaindered her so much of him.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy to see me?” the voice asked. There was an edge to it now. “Brooklyn.” The arms around her disappeared abruptly and she staggered. A hand steadied her, then let go.

It wasn't going away. Her eyes snapped opened. The man in front of her was taller than the James in her memory. The lines on his face were more defined. His arms were muscled in a way her James would’ve only been able to dream about.

“You’re not real,” she whispered.

He laughed and pulled her close to him again. “You had me worried for a moment there. I didn’t think you recognized me.” He hesitated. “Or you know, didn’t want to see me…”

“Of course I recognize you. You always know who people are in dreams.”

His smile faltered. “Um...okay. I'm not even going to pretend I know what that means." He paused. "Hey, have you eaten today? There's this great Chin--"

“I don’t know.”

“That’s not a good answer.”

She shrugged.

They were both quiet for a moment.

"If you prefer, I can show you my apartment. You can make whatever you want." He smiled at her.

When a long moment had passed and she still hadn't spoken, just keep starting at him, he said, "You don't have to..." But she didn't respond to that either, so he said, "Brooklyn?" He waited. "Brooklyn are you okay?"

You didn’t always need to answer figments of your imagination, did you? They just knew things. He would already know what was wrong. He was probably asking because some weird part of her wanted to talk about it. Not the conscious part though.

After another long moment of silence, he wrapped an arm around her waist and began moving them in some direction, opposite of where she’d been headed. It was okay. If this was where she lost her mind, if this was…insanity? Death? Then it was welcome. There were only two other people she wanted to see more than James, but she didn’t let herself dwell on it. James was perfect.

He lead her to an apartment in a nicer neighborhood than one where they’d grown up, but a far cry from the nicest part of town. The glass building sparked in the sunshine. With the sun at this angle, it was almost blinding.

“Brooklyn, you’re really scaring me. You haven’t said a word,” James said as they waited for the lift to reach the correct floor. “What’s wrong?”

Brooklyn had her arms wrapped around James’s waist, her face pressed into his chest. She breathed in a scent she knew all too well. If only this could last.

The door to an apartment opened for James as he approached it and he pulled her inside. He pressed her into a chair at the kitchen table and dropped a sandwich in front of her. The window overlooked a park.

“Sorry. I never learned to cook like you. This is what we have,” he said. He dropped down into the seat next to hers.

But she wasn’t hungry. At least, she didn’t think she was. Maybe this fantom knew more than she did.

James wrapped one of her hands in both of his. “Brooklyn, please say something. What’s wrong?”

“Have you really changed so much? Is the girl I knew anywhere in there?” he asked.

When she didn’t answer, he sighed loudly and dropped her hand. She sat there for a moment. He glared at her. But the longer she sat staring, unfocused at the window, the more his glare softened.

“Are you tired?” he asked. When she didn’t answer, he said, “Damnit Brooklyn! I can’t read minds!”

She giggled. He sounded so much like the James she remembered just then.

“Yes, it’s hilarious.” He rolled his eyes. He pushed his chair back from the table and the plate in front of her disappeared with a soft squeak of ceramic on glass. Something shattered and James cursed.

He pulled her to her feet and wrapped an arm around her again, leading her deeper into his apartment. He passed an open door to a bathroom and a closed door before one at the end of the hall opened for him. He ordered it to lock behind him.

He pushed her into a sitting position on the bed and pulled the faded purple bag off her shoulder and set it on the floor. He slipped off her shoes. When she was lying down, he draped a blanket over her and turned back toward the door.

Don’t go.

He reached the door in three strides.

“Please don’t go,” she said quickly. Figment or not, she didn’t want to be alone. Lying down, wrapped up in soft blankets, Brooklyn had an even harder time focusing. The world was as fuzzy as her head. And she was so tired.

He froze, just in front of the door. He hesitated for a moment, then moved to sit at the foot of the bed.

“Come here?” It was something she used to say when they were younger and having a sleepover in an emergency housing unit [a futuristic tent-like thing] out on his mom’s balcony. Her mom’s boyfriend had the habit of coming into her room after her mom had gone to bed, but with James’s arm wrapped around her, she felt safe. Something she didn’t feel when he wasn’t holding her, even if there was no way for him to get into James’s mom’s apartment. They’d had a lot of sleepovers. His mom used to think they’d get married one day. He used to turn so red when she said that. It always made Brooklyn laugh. Then he'd turn even redder.

James looked at her for what felt like an eternity. She would’ve wondered if he didn’t remember or if maybe he didn’t want to since they weren’t kids anymore if he were really here. But her figment would want this too. It was part of her.

“Brooklyn…”

“Please?”

He rolled his eyes. “Scoot over.”

She moved out of the way and he put an arm around. She rested her head on his chest. He squeezed her tightly for a moment before relaxing.

How very different and much the same it felt. It was stupid since he wasn't real, but it still felt safe in his arms. Figment or not.

Her eyes closed. She was asleep before she could think anything else.

Last edited:
David had slept in later than he would have cared to admit but, then again, he and Leo had been out later than was entirely normal for either of them. Had Leo managed to convince that leggy blonde she ought to come back with him last night? David couldn’t remember. He’d had entirely too much to drink. They both had.

He blinked twice before turning his attention to the watch on his wrist. Barely a quarter past ten. If he got up now, he could probably still squeeze in a quick run before the heat got too bad, but the dull ache in the back of his head suggested today might make for a better rest day. Taking a deep breath, David ran a tired hand down his face and, with a great deal of willpower, swung his feet off the edge of his bed.

He thought he could hear some noise coming from the shared living space beyond, but it was the smell of bacon that told him it was Leo in the kitchen. Leo was the only one of the three of them who could cook anything worth a damn. David had never learned and James, frankly, just didn’t seem interested. Besides, cooking was the least Leo could do for his roommates, considering all the work it took for David and James to clean up after him.

After a quick stop off at the shared bathroom to brush his teeth and splash some cold water on his face, David pulled on the same shorts he’d worn out the night before. With a frown, he reached for some aspirin and downed that with half a glass of water. Then, on his way back through his room, he grabbed a clean shirt, blue, and was pulling that over his head as he stepped out into the apartment’s main living space.

Leo was in the kitchen, as David expected, but it was clear he was making more than enough food for just the two of them. Glancing around the otherwise empty open floor plan, David shrugged and pulled out a barstool so he could have a seat while Leo finished up. Maybe if James hadn’t already left the apartment they might stand a chance of eating all of what Leo had laid out. There was bacon, of course, but also eggs-scrambled and fried-as well as a bowl that contained what looked to be pancake batter.

“Are we celebrating something?” David asked as he hid a yawn behind the back of his wrist.

Leo slid a mug of coffee-black, just the way David liked it-across the counter as he smirked, “There’s always something to celebrate.”

David ran the back of his knuckles over the side of the mug and determined it was still too hot to drink. He drew a quick breath to mask his disappointment over this realization and reached both of his hands up to his hair to pull it back into a low bun before he secured it with an elastic he’d left on his wrist. His eyes met Leo’s as he wondered, “Well, what’s the occasion this time?”

Leo glanced at the still-closed door that belonged to James. He was almost giddy with excitement as he braced both hands on the edge of the counter and leaned across it to whisper, “James had a girl over last night. They’re still in his room!”

Raising an eyebrow, David cast a quick glance around their apartment. The wireless controllers he and Leo had been using before they went out for the night were still tossed on the couch where they left them. The black duffel bag that contained Leo’s workout gear was tossed just outside the door to his room. Only shoes belonging to the inhabitants of their apartment were left in careful rows by the door. With the exception of the chaos Leo had created in the kitchen that morning, nothing struck David as being out of place about their apartment. Nothing suggested James had a guest.

David’s tone was quite skeptical when he said, “What makes you think so?”

“Do you think she likes pancakes or waffles?” Leo wondered, ignoring David’s question altogether. His attention shifted back to the bowl of batter on the counter as he gave it a tentative stir. His voice was low as he muttered to himself, “I could make a few waffles and thin out what’s left to make pancakes. Then we’d have both.”

Shaking his head, David turned his attention back to the coffee in front of him. Another tentative test of his knuckles against the side of the mug indicated it was now the perfect temperature. Taking a long drink of the dark liquid, David closed his eyes and sighed his content. There was nothing in the world better for a hangover than a mug of dark coffee. Nothing except bacon, that is.

As David reached across the counter to snag a piece, though, Leo smacked his hand away. With a disappointed ‘tsk,’ Leo opened the door to the microwave and pushed the plate full of bacon inside. When he seemed to notice that David’s eyes had settled on the eggs, he quickly scooped up that plate, too, and nudged the bacon aside so there was room for both in the microwave. To David, all Leo said was, “Wait for our guest to wake up!”

The friends were otherwise silent as David emptied his mug. When he held the mug out to Leo, David watched as his friend refilled it without a second thought. In the same sweep through the kitchen, he was at the pantry-coffee carafe still in hand-searching for chocolate chips to add to his pancakes. It seemed pancakes were where he’d landed on the subject of breakfast pastries for that morning.

David was still curious about what made Leo think James had a lady in his room, but he’d known his friend long enough to realize asking the question again or, really, doing anything that might suggest he was curious at all about Leo’s sense of reasoning, wouldn’t result in the answer he wanted. If Leo thought he knew something David didn’t, it made the other man insufferable, holding that information over David’s head. The pounding in his temples was enough to convince David he didn’t want to play any sort of mind game with Leo this morning.

He’d also known Leo long enough to know that if his friend was sure there was a girl in James’s room, he was probably right about it. Regardless of how uncharacteristic it seemed of James that he’d brought someone home for one night-because surely if he was in a relationship, he would have told his roommates-it still wasn’t either his or Leo’s place to be nosing around in their roommate’s business. For Leo, bringing girls home was a once, sometimes twice, a week occurrence. So of course it was a subject David and James would tease him ruthlessly for. With James, though, David couldn’t explain the sense of protectiveness he felt for the other man’s privacy.

“Just don’t make this weird,” David finally broke the silence.

“Weird?” Leo wondered. Then he placed his right hand over his heart and feigned exasperation as he countered, “Me? Make things weird? Speak for yourself!”

Raising an eyebrow at his friend, David smirked, “Something tells me this isn’t like you and all your girlfriends. Just try not to make a huge deal out of it for James’s sake, alright?”

“But this is a big deal!” Leo pouted.

David shot him a look.

“James never brings home girls!”

“And if you make this weird,” David argued, “Maybe he never will again.”

Leo tried to hide the fact that he was pouting by turning his attention back to the pancake batter. After he’d stirred all of the chocolate chips through, he wondered, “What sort of friend would I be if I didn’t show him how proud I am that he’s finally getting out there? You have no idea how long I’ve been trying to encourage him to meet somebody. And now that he’s finally done it, I can’t celebrate his success?”

David sighed and ran his hand through his bangs, a few of which had fallen out of the elastic he’d used to keep them pulled back. He just shook his head as he said, “The last time you ‘celebrated’ his success, you humiliated him in front of all his friends at his favorite bar.”

“Look, David, standing up on top of the bar and letting all of the eligible ladies enjoying the atmosphere there know that my best friend is a perfect gentleman for helping old Ms. Watters with her groceries is hardly a crime,” Leo defended.

“But we were there to celebrate his promotion, not try to proposition him to any eligible lady in the place,” David countered. “Just try to think for a minute about what James would want, alright? Throwing him a ‘congrats, you have a girl in your bed’ brunch is probably low on that list.”

“Alright, Einstein, what do you suggest?” Leo frowned.

“Let’s eat breakfast like normal humans and go on about our day,” David said, holding his once again empty mug out for Leo. When it was filled, he continued, “When they wake up, you can tell him you made breakfast and left some for them. If he wants to introduce the girl to either one of us, let him do it. If he doesn’t, leave it alone. When she goes home, you can ask him anything you want.”

“You’re absolutely no fun,” Leo sighed. But he had turned around to the microwave to pull out the bacon.

With Leo’s attention diverted, he didn’t notice that James’s door had just opened. With a sly smile, David watched James emerge, and, once he realized the man was alone, he was quick to ask, “So, you’ve got a girl over?”

Leo spun around on his heel, eyes wide and full of rage as he brandished a spatula at David and accused, “You fucking hypocrite! You said we’d play it cool!”

Shrugging, David smirked, “Well, I changed my mind. Curiosity got the better of me.”

With Brooklyn asleep on his chest, James leaned his head into her hair and closed his eyes. She smelled like Brooklyn. She looked like Brooklyn: same curly brown hair, same green eyes. Sort of. Their normal fire was missing. She'd even recognized him, but he couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. Could someone really change that much?

Yesterday, he'd been so excited to see her at the park by his apartment, he couldn't stop himself from phasing. But she hadn't been anything like the Brooklyn he remembered. She'd been a zombie, barely capable of any normal range of human interaction. Brooklyn wouldn't have been able to hold her thoughts inside that long. To this day, she'd never once beat him at the quiet game.

He squeezed her a little tighter. God. Brooklyn, what happened to you?

The sun was still shining outside his window. How on earth was he going to sleep now? He thought about getting up, but he couldn't get past the look she'd given him when she'd said please. He hadn't promised her he wouldn't move after she fell asleep, but he couldn't stand the idea of her waking up alone. Not with whatever was going on with her. He'd never seen her look so...dead? Vulnerable? Something not good. His chest hurt thinking about it. The Brooklyn he knew never let anything get her down. He couldn't imagine what she must have gone through to break her like that.

It was a long evening. He spend it staring at the ceiling and worrying about her. Dinner time came and went, but he ignored the ache in his gut. She was worth it.

He wasn't sure exactly when he finally fell asleep, but when he woke up, it was dark, just the way he liked it in the morning. Thank god for modern technology. Brooklyn was still unconscious in his arms. That too, was less than reassuring. Brooklyn was always up before the sun. She liked to watch it rise. She liked to go for a run before the world started moving. Before he thought was even a remotely reasonable time to be awake. He sighed, wondering how much was left of the girl he'd thought he'd known better than himself.

His stomach was killing him by this point. He couldn't put off eating any longer. Plus, he really had to pee. He gently extricated himself from her arms. He excepted that would wake her up anyway. She used to be a light sleeper, but she didn't even twitch. He stared at her for a long moment, trying to decide what to do. He finally realized he wouldn't be far. And it's not like she could sneak out without saying goodbye.

He hit the bathroom quickly before making his way into the kitchen. Whatever Leo was making smelled amazing.

James's smile froze at David's question. How did they know she was here? He also didn't like the implication. He didn't like them thinking of Brooklyn like that. His forehead creased.

He considered telling them it was none of their business, but that was as good as admitting it.

"Yes," he said.

He dropped into one of the barstools next to David and covered his face with one of his hands. It was too damn early for this.

"Are you almost done, Leo?" he asked. "I'm dying here."

Last edited:
When James replied to his question with a simple ‘yes,’ David turned his attention back to the mug of coffee in front of him. Of course this wasn’t the answer he’d been hoping for. He wanted some elaboration, any sort of detail he could use to unravel the mystery of James’s interest in his overnight guest because Leo had been right. James never brought home girls and this entire situation was, while unexpected, a rather welcomed change from the awkward mornings David spent on this very barstool making casual conversation with a girl he knew he’d never see again after Leo showed her out.

Maybe James was more of a gentleman when it came to inviting his conquests back after the first night. He certainly struck David as the sort of person who would at least attract a girl with some substance, who could talk about more than ‘her stellar dance moves’ or ‘how much she just loved vodka sodas, didn’t he?’

Regardless, David decided to remain cautious. He didn’t know James as well as he knew Leo, but he expected letting on that he was more interested than a simple ‘yes’ would serve to explain wouldn’t coerce James to open up. If ‘yes’ was his answer, David was going to have to rely on Leo’s curiosity-and the persistence that always came along with that-to get more information from the quiet one of their group.

David looked across the counter at Leo and could practically feel the nosy energy radiating off of him. If David simply wanted to know who was in James’s bedroom, Leo looked like he might explode if their roommate didn’t fill them in. Taking a sip of his coffee, David decided to lay it on and pretend like he was no longer interested in figuring out who James had over anymore. As he set the mug down on the counter, his eyes met James’s and he teased, “Get in line, man. I was here first.”

David boosted himself up on his knee on top of the stool and leaned across the counter. Before Leo could move the plate of bacon away, David yanked it out of his reach and set it down between himself and James. He didn’t bother reaching for a plate of his own. He just picked up a strip of bacon off the top of the stack and bit off the end of it.

“Heathen!” Leo accused, but he had put the spatula he’d earlier threatened David with back in the bowl of batter. He pushed two clean white plates in front of his roommates before turning around to retrieve the eggs from the microwave. As he laid that down on the counter in front of James, he glared at David, “You were supposed to wait for our guest.”

“No, we were going to eat breakfast and then go on about our day,” David corrected.

“Well, I changed my mind,” Leo shot back, mimicking the tone David had used when he’d said those same words earlier. Then, ignoring the blonder of his two roommates, he turned his attention to James. Leo leaned against his forearms over the counter and questioned, “Will your friend be joining us for breakfast? I’m waiting to get started on the rest. Can’t have her thinking we’re rude by serving cold pancakes, you know.”

James laughed at David's comment.

James could feel the heat creeping into his neck. The Brooklyn he knew would bask in this kind of attention. He hated it.

"I don't know," he said. There was no good way to phrase that, not in some way they hadn't already misinterpreted the situation. He wasn't even sure how to fix the problem now. He didn't want them thinking he'd slept with her, but he also didn't want them thinking she was up for grabs either. Leo could be relentless and he usually got what he wanted. That wasn't going to happen with Brooklyn. He wouldn't let it.

He at grabbed a large chunk of egg and shoved it into his mouth when Leo had his back turned and moaned. Oh my god. Everything tastes so good. when you're this hungry. He reached in for another chunk but Leo caught him and swatted at his hand with his spatula. The spatula went right through James's hand and squished the eggs beneath.

"Now, you're just ruining breakfast." He laughed. He brought his hand back to hold his head up. Then noticed the mug in David's hand. "Hey. Where is my coffee?" he asked.

The room was dark when Brooklyn opened her eyes. She couldn’t remember where she was. A motel? Or in which city she’d finally stopped. Her head felt clearer than it had in a while. Maybe she’d actually gotten some sleep last night. That would be a first since she’d left Zach's.

The window had been set to blackout mode. That explained the darkness, but didn’t tell her what time of day it was. The furnishings looked too mismatched to be a motel. She must’ve met someone last night. Brooklyn hoped it was a girl, but based on the navy and charcoal color scheme, it didn't seem likely.

She could hear people talking when she stepped out into the hall. There were at least three guys. She wondered if she’d recognize the one who’d shared his room with her. She hoped so.

Laughter just around the corner made her smile.

“What’d I miss?” she asked, stepping into view. Three heads crowded around the kitchen counter turned in her direction. Her mouth dropped open as she recognized one of them.

“James!” she shouted. She raced over to him and collided full force with his chair, but it barely moved. She wrapped her arms tightly around him.

After a moment’s hesitation, James’s arms slowly circled her. Did he not want to hug her? No, James didn’t do anything he didn’t want to do. She let it go.

“I can’t believe this!” Her eyes sparkled with their usual fire. "What are you doing here?"

"This is my apartment," he said flatly.

She laughed.

He tipped her chin up to meet his eyes with one of his hands, “Are you okay?” Worry creased his brow.

She laughed again and pushed his hand away. “You look so different now! Is it really you?”

He frowned. “Y-e-s.” He drew the word out. Was there something he wasn’t saying?

“You’ve gotten so tall! I can’t believe it!” She couldn’t keep the smile off her face. She squeezed one of his arms, “And look at these!”

He rolled his eyes, but he was smiling.

Then she looked around at the others.

“Since it doesn't seem like James is going introducing us, hi! I’m Brooklyn! You must be James’s friends?” While she was talking, she raced around and gave both of them a quick hug before stopping next to James’s chair and leaning against the counter.

“That smells so good! What are you making?” she asked.

James was still staring at her.

“What?” she asked. “Did you draw something on my face while I was asleep?” Turning to the others, she said, "He didn't, did he?"

"Of course not." James didn't know what to make of her 180. This was the Brooklyn he remembered. But why did she seem so surprised to see him? Like yesterday had never happened.

James grunted as Brooklyn collided with him again.

“I’m so happy! I thought I’d never see you again!” she said.

James tried to keep his expression in check as he returned her tight hug. She had just said a lot of things that was going to invite a lot of questions he didn’t feel like dealing with. Not so early in the morning. Maybe not ever. It was hard to be mad at Brooklyn though. In general, but especially when she was back from the dead.

Before anyone could jump to new conclusions (he hoped), he kissed Brooklyn softly on the forehead. Part of him felt the tiniest bit guilty for this deception, but mostly he was wondering how long he could keep this up: using Brooklyn’s love of physical contact to make it look like they were a couple without her knowing anything about it.

That sounded like walking a tightrope. If he told her, would she go along with it? Maybe. The Brooklyn he remembered loved heavily implying or outright lying about things for the shock value. There was also the solid chance she’d try to prove him wrong. She’d always cared about everyone in a way he had a hard time understanding.

James couldn’t handle the uncertainty. He wished he had help. It was Leo that most worried him anyway. Would David side with his oldest friend or protect Brooklyn because she was important to James? It’s not like Leo ever took any of his conquests seriously. Maybe David would be on his side. Only one way to find out.

Last edited:
David smirked as he watched Leo’s failed attempt to keep James out of the eggs, but he used the distraction as an opportunity to swipe another piece of bacon off the top of the pile. With the exception of the fourth person in their apartment asleep in James’s bedroom instead of Leo’s, today was starting off as a pretty typical morning for the three of them. David hid a yawn behind the back of his wrist and watched Leo hastily attempt to wipe pancake batter off of the eggs.

When James asked about coffee, David emptied his own mug and let it fall to the counter in front of him with enough force to catch Leo’s attention. Not minding that Leo was already preparing himself to be offended, David laughed, “The only real way to ruin breakfast is to leave the coffee pot empty.”

“Don’t start,” Leo muttered, but his attention was focused on the griddle pan he was heating over their small stove.

Frowning that Leo didn’t seem interested in refilling his cup, David sighed and prepared to make his way into the kitchen to make another pot. Before he could push himself out of his chair, though, a voice from behind where he was sitting caught his attention. He turned around to find who he could only assume was James’s date from the night before. David raised an eyebrow as he inspected her and pretended like he wasn’t admiring her brilliant brown curls, mussed up a bit from sleep, but still worthy of appreciation.

When she rushed over to James and made her best attempt to tackle him out of his chair, David caught Leo’s eye and the two shrugged at one another. She was shorter than she’d looked from across the room; something about the way she’d been so confident in asking about what she had been missing out on made him think she’d be taller. Standing right next to him, David could imagine she would hardly reach his and James’s shoulders if they were to stand up.

She was… not at all who David had drawn up in his mind, but good for James.

“Um, actually it’s our apartment,” Leo corrected, waving his spatula in a circle to indicate it belonged to the three of them.

David shot him a glare for interrupting the moment, but it seemed James’s lady friend hadn’t heard him or, if she had, she’d made the right decision to ignore him. Either way, when her attention remained focused on James, Leo visibly deflated. David smirked, figuring Leo wasn’t used to being ignored in favor of James, but he hid his expression behind another yawn.

For his part, David was caught up on what she’d said just before that. Didn’t she remember going home with James?

Bringing home girls with questionable morals was Leo’s specialty. To avoid the embarrassment he felt every time he ushered one of Leo’s eight-hour-girlfriends out of their apartment the morning after, David avoided bringing anyone home with him entirely. And James? Well, he never had struck David as the type to walk the line between consenting and confused… David narrowed his eyes for a moment as he inspected James, but the moment he read worry on the other man’s face, he relaxed.

David felt relieved, reassured James would never do something like that.

But the next words out of Brooklyn’s mouth only confused the blond more. Clearly she knew who James was but she was acting like she hadn’t seen him in years. Did something bad happen to her before James had run into her? David scratched the back of his head, a bit uncomfortable with the idea that someone might have tried to take advantage of her. Sure, he didn’t know her very well, but the idea of someone hurting her didn’t sit well with him and he was far too tired to try working out why he felt that way. What would have happened if James hadn’t been the one to find her? It was evident he cared about her a great deal. Were they old friends?

He was snapped out of his thoughts when she wrapped an arm around his shoulders and gave him a side hug. Brooklyn. Her name was Brooklyn.

David couldn’t help but smile as he watched her make her way around the counter to Leo. When she gave him a hug, too, he’d been prepared and responded by wrapping both of his arms around her, mindful of the spatula and making sure he wouldn’t get pancake batter in her hair. Before Leo could get any ideas that he wanted to hold onto her, David shook his head and glared like he was asking his friend to remember where his manners were.

For all either of them knew, this was James’s girlfriend.

The silent warning seemed to do the trick, because Leo let her go and said, “Nice to meet you, Brooklyn. I’m Leo and that silent jerk on the other side of the counter is David.”

“The real jerk is standing in the kitchen with pancake batter in his hair,” David muttered, not caring at all if Brooklyn paid any attention to him.

Leo ignored her question about what he was making, though, to frantically dab at his dark bangs. When he realized there wasn’t actually batter in his hair, he glared at David who just shook his empty coffee mug at Leo in response.
When Brooklyn asked if James had drawn something on her face, both David and Leo burst out in laughter and shook their heads rather emphatically. James wasn’t really a practical joker. That was more in his and Leo’s realm, if he was being perfectly honest with himself.

Noticing the way Leo deflated when he watched James kiss Brooklyn’s forehead brought a smirk to David’s face. Sometimes it was good for Leo to be reminded that not every woman on earth needed to stop and worship the ground he walked on. David hopped up from his chair and headed into the kitchen to get started on another pot of coffee. Now that Brooklyn was here, they definitely needed more. He emptied what remained in the carafe into two mugs, which he scooted over the counter to James and Brooklyn, then he turned around and started making coffee.

“So, Brooklyn,” Leo opened. He had finally started making his ‘famous’ chocolate chip pancakes. Four were already on the griddle, but he had a few minutes before he needed to flip them to find a way to make himself a nuisance to James. He cleared his throat, trying to catch her attention as he leaned across the counter on his forearms and asked, “How did you and James meet? How long have you been seeing each other? Don’t spare any of the good details-those are normally my favorite parts. I’d like to be prepared next time I need to make breakfast for four.”

Having finished the coffee and leaving it to brew, David brushed his shoulder against Leo’s in an attempt to shake up his linear focus on Brooklyn. Reaching forward, he took the clean plate Leo had tried to pawn off on him earlier and put it down in front of the chair he had vacated earlier. His eyes met hers and he offered her a quick smile before reassuring, “You don’t need to answer him. Unless he’d prefer it if James and I start interrogating his string of one-night stands.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Leo feigned ignorance.

David ignored Leo and motioned towards the food, “Go on. Help yourself.” Then he pushed the second plate forward to James and laughed, “I know I don’t have to ask you twice.” He didn’t wait for either of them before he snagged another strip of bacon and pulled his empty mug closer to himself. After chewing and swallowing his bite, he insisted, “Alright, someone have some bacon before I eat it all.”

Frustrated for having been ignored, Leo quickly flipped all four pancakes before he returned to say, “I don’t have one night stands.”

“Oh, sorry,” David nodded. His eyes held a mischievous glimmer as he looked at James for a moment. He still didn’t have a good read on who Brooklyn was to him, which made it hard to know where his manners should land, but if this girl was going to be hanging around, it wouldn’t hurt to know if she had a sense of humor. He turned around to nab the carafe of coffee to refill his mug and top off Brooklyn’s and James’s as he clarified, “What do you want me to call them? Singular overnight dates? Casual slumber parties? Premature evacuations?”

“Says the only one out of all of us who couldn’t get a date if he paid her,” Leo muttered, working his elbow into David’s side.

The blond flinched as he rubbed his ribs, turned to shoot a quick glare at Leo, and then smirked at Brooklyn as he reassured, “I could get a date without paying. Probably. But I’d know better than to bring her anywhere near Leo.”

At this, he looked across the counter to James again, almost inviting him to jump in and expose Leo’s less-than-honorable interactions with the female crowd. His look wasn’t accusatory. As far as he was aware, this was the first occasion where James had an overnight guest since he’d been living with Leo. David couldn’t be sure. Leo had been here longer than he had. Even if David wasn’t entirely convinced James was dating Brooklyn, he knew Leo well enough to understand one of them needed to put his foot down and make it clear any guest of James’s-whether now or in the future-was off limits to him.

David didn’t mind in the least being ‘that guy’ but he was at least going to give James an opportunity to take a few jabs at Leo before he did.

"Seconded." James nodded when David made the comment about running out of coffee being the only way to ruin breakfast. He smirked at Leo's response. If Leo was going to leave his crap all over the apartment he didn't have any right to complain about cooking for them. Or anything really.

James carefully watched the way his roommates interacted with Brooklyn as she hugged them. He didn't like the way Leo was looking at her. It was already happening and for all Leo know, Brooklyn was his girlfriend. He clenched his jaw.

"Oh my god! I love you guys already!" Brooklyn giggled as the two guys ribbed on each other. Leo and David. New friends. She smiled for a moment, trying not to dwell on the fact that it couldn't last. For now, she would be happy. And if they were friends with James, that was all the more reason to love them.

James's smiled to himself at Leo's reaction to the kiss. Leo was obviously getting the intended message. It didn't feel sustainable, not without Brooklyn knowing, but at least for now she was safe.

"Thank you!" Brooklyn said as David slid a mug of coffee toward her. She looked at the chairs. There were only three. Oh well. James didn't really need to eat, did he? She hefted herself into his lap, smiling as his arms slid around her. She gripped the coffee mug in both hands and inhaled deeply. That's the stuff.

It was so hard to keep the elation off his face. He couldn't have planned it better if he tried. There was no way Leo could possibly think she was up for grabs with her sitting in his lap like this. He sighed happily. He'd really missed her.

Maybe he wouldn't have to tell her. Ever. Maybe this would all work out...you know...until she found a real boyfriend, but he tried not to dwell on it. By that point, there'd be at least two of them, if not three, reasons for Leo to keep his hands to himself. He hoped whoever she picked was a big dude. More incentive. Though it was hard to imagine anyone ever being good enough for her.

Brooklyn leaned forward as Leo leaned in. James fought the urge to pull her back away from Leo.

"It's such a good story!" Brooklyn said, her eyes bright.

"We met years ago," James said flatly from behind her, like that was the whole story.

She turned and shoved his shoulder. "Oh come on! Don't be like that." She leaned in a little closer to Leo and whispered loud enough for everyone to hear. "He's just sensitive because his mom kept talking about how we'd getting married one day." She laughed. "So we used to live in the same building when we were––"

"Can we tell this story after breakfast? I'm starving!" James whined. It was true. Never mind that he didn't need anyone to hear this story. That had been the worst time in his life and he didn't need to relive it. The only bright spot had been Brooklyn. But he didn’t want to think about why she always wanted to spend the night at his house either. Some things were better off buried.

Then she laughed again when Leo asked how long she'd been seeing James. Is that what they think? It was too good. She hesitated for a moment, trying to figure out which was more fun: pretending they were dating or telling these two attractive guys that she was single. Her smile faltered on the word single. She didn't want to be single. She didn't actually want any of them. She wanted Zach. It hurt even to think his name. She swallowed back the emotions. She didn't want to ruin breakfast for everyone. She hoped they hadn't noticed.

James was relieved when David offered Brooklyn an out. He took that as a good sign. A sign that maybe he'd have an ally in this silent war between him and Leo, a war that Brooklyn could never know about.

"At least someone has manners," he said.

"Oh I don't mind," Brooklyn said, but her tone was distracted.

It almost reminded him of yesterday. He still had no idea what had happened to her, but he wasn't going to ask her now. Not with an audience.

And he knew she didn’t mind. Brooklyn was an open book, with only a few exceptions. It was one of the things he admired about her. She was so much herself. She didn't care what other people thought about her. Unfortunately, he cared what other people thought of her.

He wanted to say that he minded, but couldn't decide if that was the right thing to say just now. He didn’t want to tip his hand.

Brooklyn was also very much her own person and didn't like him interfering with her choices. If he wanted to stop her from doing something, he had to be crafty. Or you know, scare the hell out of the guy hitting on her behind her back. Either one worked. Except it wouldn't with Leo. Leo was not easily discouraged and wasn't afraid of James. At all. That had never seemed like a problem until just now...

Don’t disappear on me.

James moved Brooklyn to one knee when David slid a plate in his direction. "Thanks." He reached around Brooklyn and dug in, groaning as hot eggs and bacon crossed his tongue. It was heavenly.

Brooklyn picked up her fork. James wished he could see her face. Her posture had changed dramatically in the last few minutes and he was afraid of losing her to whatever had been wrong with her yesterday.

"Hey," he said softly, nudging her.

A smile burst out across her face. It would've been a relief if he didn't already know something was still very wrong. Why was she hiding it? They didn’t used to have secrets.

Brooklyn laughed as David and Leo ragged on each other again. It was so nice. Being around people who knew each other so well. It was a lot like what she and James had had once upon a time, something she hadn't really had since. Maybe...maybe she could pretend for a while that they were back to old times. Maybe even that she'd never had to leave and they'd just continued on––she choked on her eggs as the memory of why she'd had to leave returned, unwanted. Hadn't she buried that deep enough?

James patted her back and asked her if she was okay. She forced a smile to her face. There was a time when she wouldn’t have bothered lying. But lying felt like second nature to her now. She was carrying around too many secrets these days. She wondered if you could die from the weight of them all. Or maybe if they’d explode out of you, without warning.

"Perfect!" She dug back into her food. Besides, with two new people and her old friend back in her life, there were plenty of other things to focus on. Great things. Amazing things. “These pancakes are amazing, Leo.”

"How long have you guys known James?" she asked. "How long have you been roommates? Oh my god! You have to tell me how you met!"

James had always been such a lone wolf. She couldn't wait to hear how they'd pulled him out of his shell. Maybe he'd grown since back then, but she'd had a bit of trouble getting him to open up at first.

Oh god. There were two of them. How had it never occurred to James how similar Leo and Brooklyn were? Not good. Very not good. This was going to be harder than he'd imagined. He definitely was going to need David's help.

Last edited:
David remained in the kitchen with Leo, but he raised an eyebrow when Brooklyn opted to take up a place on James’s lap, rather than either of the two empty stools. He didn’t say anything about it, though it was clear that her behavior had Leo more than flustered. Though James, it seemed, was pleased with this sort of attention he was receiving. And why shouldn’t he be? This situation was good for him. He ought to be happy. After just fifteen minutes in the same room with Brooklyn, he already liked her more than any of Leo’s conquests. Hell, he might even consider telling her he hoped he’d see her again when James, eventually, took her home.

As she started to answer Leo’s question anyway, he listened with half an ear. He was too engrossed in filling up his own plate for breakfast. On one hand, David supposed he was curious about how James had met someone so… bright. Yeah, bright was the way to describe Brooklyn. From her smile to the way the light bounced off her curls. She had been lighting up the entire room since she’d entered it.

On the other hand, though, it was incredibly amusing to see Leo so out of sorts about not being the center of attention. James hadn’t adopted any of the same behaviors as Leo normally practiced when he had a girl over. It was almost like he wanted for the pair of them-James and Brooklyn-to be left alone to enjoy their breakfasts in silence. He had been about to suggest that he and Leo step out onto the balcony to enjoy their breakfasts when Leo dropped a plate of pancakes on the counter and started answering Brooklyn’s question.

“I met James at work,” he said. Leo was already pouring out four more pancakes onto the griddle when he added, “I guess we’ve known each other for, say, two or three years? That sound about right, James?”

David glanced across the counter at James. He didn’t know that. He’d never asked Leo or James how they’d met each other. It seemed rude to question James as David was Leo’s childhood friend who rolled into town and crashed on their couch. He’d been happy to sublease the third room from a guy even quieter than James who moved out a few weeks after David arrived. He hadn’t even known the other guy’s name.

“Well, don’t spare any of the good details,” David teased as he poured hot sauce over the top of his eggs. Thus far, Leo’s version of the story was as bland as his eggs had been. With a smile, he glanced across the counter, first at Brooklyn, then at James, and said, “Those are normally my favorite part.”

“You’re not half as funny as you think you are,” Leo shook his head at David. Then, his eyes flashed as he looked at Brooklyn to say, “David here’s a freeloader. He was only supposed to crash on the couch for a few weeks. He’s been here six months and I’m afraid we’ll never be rid of him.”

David shrugged as he chewed and swallowed his first bite of eggs. Then he took a sip of his coffee and said, “I pay my rent. Sometimes I’m even on time. Besides, you’d miss me if I moved out. Who would do your laundry?”

Then he threw his arm around Leo’s shoulder to pull the other man into his side for emphasis. It had served as a decent distraction to keep Leo from firing any more questions at Brooklyn. Once Leo was free, David returned to his eggs and tried to make quick work of finishing them. He, at least, had sense enough to realize James would rather be left alone. Even if Leo couldn’t see it.

When his plate was empty and James’s was as well, he reached across the counter to collect the dishes. David pushed the three remaining slices of bacon onto the plate with about half a scoop of eggs left. The pancakes were long gone and all that remained of Leo’s hard work in the kitchen was an absolute disaster of dirty dishes and utensils. Normally he and James shared the work of cleaning up after Leo made breakfast, but David wouldn’t think of asking him when he had company over.

“What are we watching?” Leo wondered from the sofa. He had left the kitchen and already had the tablet in his hand. As the blank screen of the television flickered to life, he turned over his shoulder to look at Brooklyn. With a smile he proclaimed, “It’s ladies choice, Brooklyn! And since you’re the only one here, we’ll watch what you want to watch.”

David rolled his eyes. Leo was sitting in the center of their only sofa. If Brooklyn wanted to watch TV, Leo had put himself in between any hope she had of sitting next to James. Or, well, maybe any chance James had of sitting next to her. Raising an eyebrow at James, David suggested, “The dishes can wait. I can take him out. Somewhere.”

“It’s four,” James said with a laugh.

This was nice too, seeing James so happy, so free. Or at least as free as he ever got.

Brooklyn ate. She leaned forward as Leo began his story. Her brow wrinkled when it ended after two sentences. She laughed at David’s comment.

“Mine too!” she said, catching David’s eyes.

One of James’s arms circled her waist and she smiled back at him.

Brooklyn couldn’t help glancing at David when Leo called him a freeloader. Technically, someone could call her that too. But did it really count when people gave willingly? It’s not like she’d ever take advantage of anyone. She did wonder if that meant Leo would be opposed to her staying here. It would be nice to spend time with James before she had to move on.

Regardless. It wasn’t like she couldn’t find somewhere to stay. In all her wanderings, she’d always had somewhere to go. Even if it didn’t appear until right when she needed it. Kind of like James. She smiled.

Brooklyn laughed at the face Leo face made when David said the quip about his laundry. Priceless.

“Whatever I want, huh?” Brooklyn asked with a glint in her eyes James recognized as dangerous. “Even Isle Theoné?”

“Yes, even a historical drama so terrible they only made two seasons and it died when everyone lost interest in Theoné ridiculous and impractical love life,” James said. “He lives on a damn island! Where does he meet all those women?”

Brooklyn just giggled. “Says the guy who watched it.”

James rolled his eyes.

"Actually, do you mind if I use your ion?" Brooklyn asked before James could take David up on his offer. “I feel like I haven’t showered in weeks.”

"We have an enz shower," James said. He didn’t bother to point out to her that there were actually several things in the apartment that used ion technology.

Brooklyn's eyes lit up. "Really? Like with…that stuff that's practically water?"

James laughed. What Brooklyn meant was their shower recycled a water-like substance that was good for cleaning, smelled decent and didn't burn your eyes. He didn't know why it was so exciting. People used to have showers a lot like them centuries ago. The only high-tech thing about it was the filters. Ion showers were more hygienic, quicker and didn't leave an odor. Better? You didn’t have to waste time drying off with an ion they way you did with an enz because you never got wet.

Leo, always dramatic, had insisted the bubbles were more fun and something about how enzes were better for an activity that James would prefer Leo only do in his room anyway. The bathroom was a communal space for god’s sake and didn’t have the sound dampers standard in bedrooms.

"Why are you laughing? It's warm. It feels good." Brooklyn's mocking glare was still hilarious. The corners of her lips gave her away. They were always turned up in the hint of a smile.

Brooklyn jumped from James’s lap. He watched her walk back toward his bedroom, her steps almost like a dance for music only she could hear.

He glanced toward the dishes in the sink and sighed. That was a large pile. Leo was just lucky that all they had to do was pile them in the machine under the sink and they’d be sparkling in seconds.

He followed Brooklyn down the hall, his long legs covering the distance considerably faster than her short ones.

She was standing outside the door when he walked up. He smirked. The door was programmed to be closed whenever he wasn’t in the room. He liked his privacy. The door slid open when he approached it.

Brooklyn rolled her eyes and it just made him laugh.

When the door slid shut behind them, she turned to face him.

“Did you follow me in here so your roommates would think we’re together?” she asked.

“What?” James kept his expression neutral. How could she possibly have picked up on that? Brooklyn had always been observant to a level that bordered on mind reading, but this was beyond her usual level. Either that or he’d forgotten how perceptive she was.

“Don’t play innocent with me, James. You didn’t correct them when they asked how long we’d been together.”

Oh. That. He couldn’t tell if she mad or not. Her expression was unreadable and her tone didn’t help. He honestly hadn’t been paying that much attention to the conversation. It was too early for talking and he’d been preoccupied with worrying about her mostly, but also about Leo.

“You didn’t either,” he said.

“Why do you care? Why do you want them to think we’re together?

He sighed. “Brooklyn, I came to open the door for you, Goofball. And I also wanted to talk to you.”
“Oh.” Her cheeks reddened. She obviously felt bad. Good. “About what?”

Now that he finally had her alone and she was being sort of normal, he didn’t know what to say. There were too many questions.

“I’ve been really worried about you,” he said finally.

“Why?” Her eyes got big like she really didn’t know, but James recognized it as her most innocent look. It fooled a lot of guys, a lot of parents too, but never him. “Because I disappeared?”

“I know they put you in foster care after what happened with your mom. I meant yesterday. And today.”

Brooklyn bit her lip.

She felt frayed around the edges, like an old blanket you kept your parents from reclaiming. She was carrying too many secrets. They were threatening to kill her, each one, a loose thread unraveling.

She hesitated. The secrets burned in her so brightly, she was almost sure he could seen them. If there was one person in the whole world she could, it was James, right? But how would he look at her, knowing what she’d done? Would he make her leave? Tell her he never wanted to see her again? Turn her into the peace keepers? She deserved that, obviously. But…

“Brooklyn,” James said, waving a hand in front of her face. “Please stop doing that.”

She didn’t know what he was talking about. All she could remember about yesterday was running into him in some park, except she couldn’t even be sure it was him because he’d been made of smoke. It was just as likely that part had been a dream. But it was the most real of all the recent ones.

“Are you going to answer me or not?” he asked. “I thought we didn’t have secrets.”

His words burned through her chest. They didn’t used to. She missed that so much she couldn’t breathe. Even with everything as terrible as it had been, she’d give anything to go back to that time. At least her mom had been alive. At least she’d never… She shuddered, unable to finish the thought.

James was amazing. He’d been there for her at time she’d really needed him. He’d protected her when she hadn’t been big or strong though to protect herself. Heck, he’d even punched that bastard in the face once. Almost broken his hand in the process. It was bruised for weeks.

But James wouldn’t understand this. She couldn't handle him seeing her as a monster. She wanted him to always think of her as she was.

She could tell him about Zach. That was easier. People fell in love all the time. Not her, but normal people. He wouldn’t understand why she’d left and she wouldn’t be able to explain it anymore to him than she had to Zach. It was better then, to just not say anything.

“I was in love with this guy,” she said. She laughed at herself. Hadn’t she just decided she wasn’t going to say anything? And why was she saying it like it had happened years ago and she was over it? Not months ago and it was still killing her. “It didn’t work out.”

“Where is he? I’ll make him regret—“

“It wasn’t his fault, James. It was mine.” She couldn't bear James thinking anything bad of Zach. Zach was so perfect she never could have deserved him.

"What were you'd doing in the park? I've never seen you like that," he asked. Worry creased his brow and she instantly felt guilt seeping into the pit of her stomach.

"I don't remember," she admitted.

His mouth formed a thin line and he wrapped his arms around her. His body was rigid against hers. She shouldn't have told him that.

"Where are you going after this? Were you living with him?" he asked after a long silence. "I didn't see your interface. Was anyone worried when you didn't come home last night?"

Brooklyn froze. She didn't know how to answer that. The truth was she didn't have an interface. It was easier to disappear to forget if her past couldn't follow her. She should tell him that yes, someone was worried. Her roommate, maybe. A girl.

But she wanted to tell James the truth, all of it. More than she'd ever wanted to tell anyone anything. He would wrap her up the way he always did, like he was her blanket. She would be safe. Except...he wouldn't, not if he knew everything.

"Don't worry about it," she said instead. She would find somewhere. Maybe in this city, maybe in some other. It hardly mattered anymore.

"Damnit Brooklyn. Did he kick you out? Do you have somewhere to go?"

"No, I left." She couldn't answer the second question. It would be better if she could just leave and find somewhere to stay and then come back and visit. Maybe that would put his mind at ease.

"And now you live...?"

"Don't worry. I have somewhere to go." She shrugged. She should've said she lived somewhere on West Avenue, give him a reason not to worry about her. That was one of the nicest parts of town. She should've said her roommate, Bianca was worried about her last night. She should've said Bianca had left her seven messages. But it was harder lying to James than it was to most people. Not impossible. Just harder.

"Where do you live?" he asked. "Maybe I can stop by sometime."

He said it so casually she couldn't tell if he meant it or was pushing for more information. Like maybe he didn't really believe her. Granted, she probably wouldn't have believed her either. She was normally a much better liar than this.

"FINE! I don't live
anywhere! Are you happy? I haven't in a long time. Not since foster care. But don't worry about it, I always find somewhere. I'll be fine."

She didn’t want to give James time to ask any follow up questions, didn't want to give him space to be James and try to make everything better. It couldn't be better right now., So she started pulling off her shirt.

He immediately turned toward the door. He walked out, giving it a command to let her out when she approached it. Then he was gone.

James dropped on the couch next to Leo and pretended to watch whatever he and David were watching. All of his attention was down the hall in his bedroom. Brooklyn wasn’t telling him everything. He wasn’t perceptive like she was, but he knew her better than anyone.

People fell in love and broke up all the time and didn’t become zombies. But what the hell did he know? It wasn’t like he’d ever been in love. And...not having a home. That wasn't normal either. How did she live? The most basic of food, clothing and medical care was considered a basic human right in some places, available to anyone. But not here. Not unless you qualified for Social. Even if it had been, that was hardly a life. “Basic” was putting it mildly.

And why did she wander, never settling? Yes, there was definitely something she was leaving out. But he didn't know why. What could she possibly need to hide from him?

He listened for the whoosh of his door opening, followed the sound of her footsteps on the flooring. Glancing over, he saw her dancing into the bathroom, wrapped up in his robe. It brushed the floor. He couldn’t help smiling at how big it was on her. She was so tiny.

The second the bathroom door shut, James grabbed David’s arm and pulled him in the direction of the hall. He didn’t respond to David’s surprise, just leave the way into his bedroom and waited for his door to close.

His face reddened when he spotted Brooklyn’s clothing neatly piled up on the edge of his bed, panties on top. He was mainly embarrassed for her. He grabbed them. There was a tear on the shirt. She could fabricate something when she got out. Brooklyn loved fashion. Designing something would be fun for her and she deserved something new. He wondered how long it had been since since she'd had anything new.

He shoved pile quickly into the reclaimer and turned back to David.

James held up a hand.

“Can I say one thing before you judge me? I didn’t sleep with her. She was a zombie yesterday.” James rubbed his face and sighed. “I know something is really wrong and she won’t tell me what it is. It’s driving me crazy. We never used to have secrets. And on top of that, I’ve brought a lamb into a lion’s den. You have to help me.”

Begging was so uncharacteristic of James, it was almost physically painful. But this was for Brooklyn.

“Don’t get any ideas. Just because I’m most worried about Leo, doesn’t mean I won’t shred you if you touch her.” James punched through David’s shoulder to illustrate his point, his hand disappearing in black smoke as it passed through David’s t-shirt. That was one good thing about his abilities. James could land as many punches as he wanted, while his opponent only hit air. James clenched his fist and dropped it back to his side. “She’s like a sister to me. I owe her my life.”

James grimaced. He hadn’t meant to blurt out that last part, but it was too late to take it back.

"Oh, and she doesn't have anywhere to go."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back