• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Our Shenanigans

- Ruins of Elunore-
"Dense Fog, Eastern Edge of Windshear"

Isa relaxed under Moss’ fin paw, feeling warm and —- dare he say it—- fuzzy when he didn’t move away after a few seconds. Soothed by his humming, his eyelids became heavy, half-lidded. He continued his gentle nuzzles for a few more minutes, just enjoying the soft warmness of the act. Then he raised his arms up, freezing up in hesitation until he quietly wrapped his arms around his head.

It was awkward. It was weird. It was...sweet of Moss to let him nuzzle in his fur.

”Thank you, Moss.” Isa muttered in his fur as he nuzzled for one last time until he backed away a bit. His face was entirely red, but he was smiling warmly. “Y-you didn’t have to...ya know...”

Zer0 Zer0

- Ruins of Elunore-

The orca chittered squeak, flapping its fin paws in a shrug. It closed its eyes, the black blubber fuz cracking, then peeling away into white swirls of snow revealing pale skin, as the orca shrank to the size of a man. The tail, flowed back up into the spine, the fin melding down, and Moss' pants reappeared. When he opened his eyes, they were their cool teal again.

He was smiling at Isa softly in understanding and respect to his loss. "You're welcome, Isa. Family . . ." he though of what to say, as he donned his shirt and buckled his leather straps back, closing his book. " . . . I understand missing family." he told him, and slung an arm around his shoulder and just sat there, looking down towards the west, at ravine path where they came from. It was about mid morning, judging by the sun. Moss wondered how long it will take them to go through the city with Isa pushing his bike. With the bike, they're going to have to find a flat path with easy slopes they can push it through, if they were on foot, it would be quick, they could skirt the city by climbing over the rocks and ruins. Whatever it takes, Moss was going to work to not get stuck in this city at nightfall with a frost giant around. "Shall we get going, Isa?"

Katsuya Katsuya

- Ruins of Elunore-

As Isa watched Moss transformation, he blinked away the light spots behind his eyelids for staring at the bright runes for too long. Then he froze when he felt an arm around his shoulder, peeking over to see Moss staring at the west of the ravine’s path. His face is still red, but he relaxed again and grinned impishly.

The redhead didn’t ask what he meant by that, believing it’s something to do with his curse. Not being able to see his family because of it—- must be torment to not be allowed to see his still-living family for a mistake. Isa leaned in slightly, wrapping an arm around Moss’ shoulder in silent understanding. He wondered if the spirit guides wanted Moss to meet with Isa for this purpose, to find someone in a common ground of sorts.

Or he could be overthinking it.

Either way, the teen silently prayed in thanks to Loki for finding him a friend in this cold world.

“Yea, let’s go.” Isa replied, grinning his usual impish grin.

Zer0 Zer0

Eduardo_Pena_Concept_Art_n08-1050x777.jpg
- City Center North -
"Ruins of Elunore, Eastern Edge of Windshear"

After sneaking their way through the ruined front gate, under the looming walls covered in spiderweb like cracks of frost and dusting of snow, they decided to have Isa lead and he led them through the misty ruined streets and crumbling bridges well, reading old rotten road signs, his experience in ruins delving in the Badlands had honed his instincts in finding his way through old cities like these.

Piles of frozen bones and recent carcasses littered the cobblestone roads, some of them large, some with the jutting curving tusks of mammoth, and some of giants, heads missing, backs and necks stuck with the ends of broken swords and rusty spears. The jagged chipped blades of ancient weapons poked out of the snow, along with dented shields, and the crumbling armor of fallen soldiers. Every now and then they would encounter a giant trap, a hole in the ground where the grinning skulls of giants stuck out, and slowly the story of the city unfolded. It had fallen under the siege of giants, and over the centuries they had lay claim to this stronghold.

There was a very wide road straight through the center, it was concave from generations of giants with their herds stomping through. Isa and Moss wisely avoided this. There were signs of living: a giant stone bucket next to a frozen waterway, tanned mammoth hides spread out over the roofs of buildings, the common hall of the city flattened with a stone slab over the top and turned into a table with giant barbaric trinkets scattered above. And then there was the stench, in some areas there were small mounds of mammoth poo, and something that smelled funky, fermenting, and a little rancid: mammoth cheese.

In the afternoon, they emerged into a street where there were many closed down tailor and cobbler shops. The damp cold of the fog seeped into their clothes, and they took shelter in a cooper's workshop, where dusty termite eaten old wash basins, butter churns, buckets, and barrels lined the dim musty interior.

But it seemed to be the home of a warrior as well, for on the second floor of the shop where family rooms were on either side of the hall, there was a dining room, a gaping hole in the wall that faced the street, half burned as though fire had passed through it, and right beside it over the mantle piece was a tattered painting, scorched, yellowed with age. It had the portrait of a blue haired woman, short, dressed in unusual gear crisscrossed with leather straps and box like machines on either side of her. She wore a red cloak and In her hand she held two swords, the end of them swept back and shaped like the tips of a fiery wing.

Carved on the painting's bottom frame were the ancient words:

"In Loving Memory of Abigail Giantsbane"

"Remember me with smiles and laughter,
for that is how I will remember you all.
If you can only remember me with tears,
then don’t remember me at all.

Mourn not my death, but celebrate my life. ”

And resting on a rack under the bottom were two rusted swords with weird handles, and the same box like machine, hanging from a strange contraption with two cylinders at the side, their background was a red cloak with the symbol of gears with wings. Moss couldn't quite remember where, but he swore he saw that symbol in The Highlands.

1. Unidentified Gear | Weight 4. 2 strange rusty swords, 1 red cloak with a gears and wing symbol, 2 broken box machines linked to a strange contraption. The items are beyond repair. Requires some disassembly and research to create a blue print of this gear and figure out how it works.
Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
- City -

He had given back Moss’ coat, thanking him for keeping him warm. Then they made their way inside the ruins.

Isa sounded out the old language, hissing and pressing hard ‘ksh’ in certain moments. It wasn’t fluid like Nazja or sensual like Black speech; it sounded like a bird of prey, firm and striking. “Elunore wasn’t always covered in snow long time ago.” The redhead pointed out as they walked their way to another street. Towing his bike by it’s handles as he looked at the cracked cobbled stones in case it was loose from age.

”It was a grass plain, receiving the sun‘s light daily and blessed with rain’s mercy for harvest.” The redhead continued in his whispers. Geeking out about the city’s history. “It would explain why the frost giants continued to invade here. The land was perfect for nurturing food. I can tell by the mills — the tall and thick towers with the round heads? Those are mills to hold grain and rice —- and I’m guessing ever since the Earth Titan fell, the mountains here ... were part of the citizens’ doom. Harsh new weather, giants invading, and having their homes torn apart by jutting rocks ... they couldn’t handle it anymore....I haven’t seen a single representative of a mountain in writing or picture yet, but I could be wrong.”

When they were near the signs of a giant and it’s herd, Isa grimaced. The funky smell of mammoth cheese was never pleasant nor the mammoth poo. He won’t lie. He almost threw up when they got too close to a stinky pile, tears welling up in the corners of his eyes.

In the afternoon, where they found themselves in a cooper’s home, the motorist pulled his bike inside. Not wanting to leave a hint of their presence outside and leaving it close to the door, leaning against the wall beside the opening in case of a quick getaway. His indigo eyes taking in the old interior and began to wonder if it’s best to not sit on any chairs or lean on the tables. It might break under their weight.

With his curiosity energizing his motion, Isa asked Moss if he wanted to explore the home. When they reached the second floor and spotted a painting, the redhead felt giddy as he walked closer to it. His eyes quickly roamed around, taking in the smallest of details and hummed. “Fascinating ~ these warriors had a habit of celebrating their achievements in hopes to bring new hope for their families and friends even when they’re dead. Not unlike like other old cultures but...I’ve never seen a contraption like this rectangular machine before or the swords —- though they look very similar to broad swords, but with the tip sharpened in one extreme end implicates that their methods is to slice like a knife- ah!”

He stopped talking, realizing he’s geeking out again. Isa cleared his throat, embarrassed at his own excitement. “Wh-what do you think? Perhaps we can study this ... thingy?” He pointed at the strange and rusted machine, wanting to hear Moss’ opinion in the matter.

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

Moss spun around when Isa went "ah!" suddenly, searching behind them rapidly for giant fingers wrapping around the corners, large eyes peeking at them, but it was only Isa looking embarassed. He relaxed in relief, then looked at him chuckling. "Sure, Isa, I'll bring it with us." he said simply, sounding distracted, like he was more focused in listening and watching their surroundings, but Moss picked up the contraption carefully, wrapping it quickly in the ancient tattered red cloak, and then secured the bundle atop his backpack, moving aside the old mess kit and vintage oriental kettle dangling from straps. He made sure moving around didn't make a lot of noise from his bag.

"And you can tell me about things as much as you like, Isa. Your light conversation distracts me and makes me worry less. Makes the anxious knot in my chest loose." said Moss, sliding to the burned wall and then side glancing out of the hole just a little bit to check for dangers in the foggy street outside. "Sounds quiet outside." he added, and looked back at him.

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
- City Center North -

With a nod, Isa helped tuck away the contraption. He frowned when Moss mentioned of how quiet the outside is. His cheer of discovering new history waned to somber and caution.

“. . . Perhaps we should stay away from any sort of openings. I don’t mind talking more downstairs too.” Isa suggested, placing a comforting hand on the merman’s shoulder. “Just in case —- come on. You can show me more of your spellbook.”

It seems that the redhead trusted Moss’ paranoia, not wanting to take chances. Plus it’ll keep Moss calm enough to be anchored or so Isa believes.

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
25355ce3e76dac02da6b14f0e0a08690.jpg
- City Center North -

"Okay." Moss nodded, and followed Isa downstairs. He looked for a hidden place for them to rest: a corner under a stone archway next to a termite-eaten pile of butter churners hidden from view of the windows, but close enough to bolt through one if ever they needed to exit the building quickly. He didn't talk about his spellbook, but gave it to Isa to peruse at his leisure, while he continued to listen for sounds outside.

Katsuya Katsuya

- City Center North -

As Isa sat down and seemingly look through Moss’ book, he peeked at the merman in question. Then he turned a page.

”You’re not used to this level of silence, are you?” He quietly asked, keeping himself busy with looking at a spell.

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

"I am actually. I often travel alone." said Moss, looking at the page Isa was checking out. It was inked in the same watercolor fashion, a geometric design that easily looked like a snowflake. "But I sail through the seas, I've never been deep inside the Windshear mountains before. What about you?"

721406_1.jpg

- City Center North -

“I travel alone too. Though I’m scared to travel through water.” Isa chuckled nervously. “Something about the deep makes me squeamish —- I’m used to traveling through ruins like these. Great places to scare thieves and steal their loot.”

The redhead‘s grin grew devilish. “Pranks in the name of Ancient Loki are always my favorite during travel. I was just asking because you seem a lot more anxious from the ruins being too quiet—-or so I thought.” At the end, his grin softened a bit as he looked back into the book. Tracing his finger lightly over the runes.

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

Moss nodded in understanding about the deep water. "You steal from thieves?" he smiled. He shook his head, "No, it's not the ruins, it's the giant. I don't know where it is and that makes me uneasy. What was the biggest demon you've ever fought?"

Katsuya Katsuya

- City Center North -

“Yep~” Isa said with his usual impish grin.

He hummed, tilting his head as he tried to remember. “My biggest demon...it was a deer- ah, well it looked like a deer, but the demon itself knew how to shape shift and had no eyes. Just a mouth full of sharp fangs and holes for a nose.” He shuddered.

”I could never forget what I learned that day.” Isa said, staring at the chill spell.

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

"What did you learn?" said Moss, fascinated. He wore the same awed anticipating look he had when he first learned Isa was a demon hunter. He was probably the first demon hunter Moss personally met.

Katsuya Katsuya

- City Center North -

Isa looked at Moss with an amused smile.

”That demons feel things too, not just anger and hatred.” He huffed, ruffling his own hair.

“I was eight years old when my mother was hired to defeat this demon for a small nearby village. The pay wasn’t much, but mother never cared about that. She just wanted people to feel safe. One night, I went outside of this lady’s house —- her name was Rachel Patricks and she was a widow. And I was anxious to see my mother come back again when suddenly, I heard hooves hitting the stoned streets. I turned around and saw it was the deer demon, raging it’s way to Rachel’s home. I ran inside, locked the door, and grabbed the only weapon my mother left me with. A holy lance, blessed by Loki. I aimed and waited by the door as the demon rammed itself in. It was screaming for Rachel . . . The demon rammed himself onto the lance and I got trapped by it‘s antlers that got stuck on the wall.“ The redhead shook his head.

”As soon as it stopped moving, I heard the demon talk, thanking me. Rachel...Rachel recognized the voice. It was her husband who died by mysterious means. They cried until he burned away and mother was so proud of me and worried for me. She knew it was hard because all these demons were once human or merfolk or a being of different race. Covered and bombarded by hatred for some reason or cursed to haunt someone they care about . . . It sucks sometimes, but I believe it’s good that they get some peace at the end.”

Then he chuckled awkwardly. “Ah, sorry if that was a little too much. I get that hearing these types of stuff can freak others out.”

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

Moss nodded looking grim. "Is that why you continue to be a demon hunter? to give the cursed peace?"

Katsuya Katsuya

- City Center North -

Isa nodded. “Pretty much. I get how they feel, being chained down by something heavy. So ... if I can help, then I’ll give it a shot.”

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

Moss leaned back against the wall, smiling at Isa warmly. "You are a wonderfully fluffy cinnamon bun, Isa." he grinned. "What do you want for dinner later? I'll cook you something good."

Katsuya Katsuya

- City Center North -

Isa tensed up at the comment, pouting. “I am not fluffy or a cinnamon bun! Stop calling me that!”

” . . . . . Soup . . .” Because he likes hot things. Even burns his tongue on purpose to enjoy the heat. “If that’s possible... if not, I won’t complain on what you make.”

Zer0 Zer0

- City Center North -

"Can't promise that." smirked Moss, mimicking the same tone Isa used atop the tower. "Soup it is then, but only if we get out of this place by nightfall. I still don't want to risk a fire."

Katsuya Katsuya

- City Center North -

Isa raised a brow, his pout stretching into a playful grin. “Fair enough.”

Then he nodded and studied Moss’ book. “Of course! As much as I would love to study more, I don’t want to be a Giant’s plaything.”

Zer0 Zer0

Orgeat

She looked at the slavemaster, weighing the risks of this fight. "Very well then, but would you find it in your heart to provide me with some goods to...bring more business to you?" She politely asked, veiling the request in her voice. "The risks here go beyond one person, and seem to benefit you more than it does me. I promise to keep my silence about this matter of course."

Zer0 Zer0

- Western Outskirts of Elunore -
"Eastern Edge of Windshear"

Moss agreed to that. After that their conversation turned to whispers about what they did as kids, Isa telling Moss about how he climbed trees to see the southern lights only to fall down after breaking the first branch. Moss had flinched with one eye closed, asking him if he was alright after that. After listening, Moss told him how he and his friends would chase each other in games of tag under the arches of giant coral reefs, or swim in the edges of whirlpools during storms and use the fast currents to slingshot up into the air and see who could reach the highest.

"Tybalt usually won that one, he had this technique where he flicked his tail at the right moment and he would spin like a bullet through the air. He also dreamed of becoming a fountain when he grew up? He liked filling his mouth with water and spitting it out. He even assumed fountain poses." Moss chuckled, as though he found the whole thing silly, but endearing. "I was the --- well, I was the annoying one? I kept whispering, 'the butter is mashed', to everyone. It was our thing. One time when we were guppies I mashed an entire stick of butter in the middle of my family's beach pavilion in the middle of the night and woke my friends up by whispering, 'The butter is mashed', in their ear." Moss shrugged, laughing silently. "I was a weird guppy."

At about half past one in the afternoon they continued their careful hike through the ruined city. There was a tremor, the dull thudding of many large legged things passing through the highway that ran straight across the city south of them. Then there was the bellowing trumpet of mammoths and the loud booming "HOOMS!" of a frost giant. Moss couldn't help himself and hung by his fingers on the edges of a rooftop, peering just and inch over the top to see the frost giant. He had never seen one before and by Leviathan was it fascinating. The hairy blue skinned giant wore an armor of spiky mammoth bones wrapped in brown hide, tied together in straps of sinew rope. It's very long scarred arms dangled pass its knee, and in one hand it dragged a spiked log that trailed deep furrows over the snow. Its legs were like tree trunks, thick, callused, the bottom of its bare feet covered in thick curling grey hair. It wore the skull of some dinosaur, the jaw split in the middle, the teeth and tusks decorating the side of the frost giant's head where small beady pure white eyes sat beneath a long flowing blue and grey beard. Moss counted two dozen mammoths rumbling before it, all with a red dyed band wrapped around one of their tusks like a mark of ownership. It was heading west where Isa and Moss were heading as well, but it wasn't aware of them at all.

Heart hammering, Moss asked Isa if he could be the one to lead them this time. He was going to scout ahead, follow the giant for a while, and find a way where they won't cross paths with it at all. He came back to Isa looking shaken and said that he found a tunnel, probably an old canal, he wasn't sure. It was a strange tunnel close to the northern wall of the city. It had holes and giant cages with rings of spikes above and beneath these were the remains of giant bones.

Exploring the tunnel, there were many of these cages, and one even had the corpse of a giant, frozen, still standing, its chest and legs crushed by rings of spikes, the feet missing as though it was cut. One arm extended out of the cage as though it was trying to reach for something outside, but as they passed under it, they could see that from the elbow down it was a stump, the rest of the arm missing. The canal had old iron doors to the side and barred walls where inside were dark rooms filled with great cutting engines like saw blades that were large enough to fell even trees. Isa and Moss unlocked a room and found a great clockwork engine with chains and gears that extended into the stone walls to the north, south, east, and west, and levers that seemed to control them. There was a cold ragnite core. And a metal panel of valves, more levers, and knobs. There was a wall of rusty tools here too, and an adjacent room, where upon opening the rusty door they found a dusty barracks that looked like it was abandoned in a hurry. There were papers, chests that still had belongings, and upon opening them the duo found some valuable goods they could sell for a good price in the right market.

Isa:
  1. Hollowed Unicorn Horn | Can be sold for 10 Alchemical.
  2. Giant's Belt of Shriveled Hands | Can be sold for 5 Alchemical.
  3. Box of Blue Volcanic Ash | Can be sold for 5 alchemical
  4. Cobra shaped Mithril Earrings | Can be sold for 15 Alchemical
  5. Scrap | Can be sold for 14 metal. When smelted and turned into steel ingots, can be sold for 24 metal.
  6. Unidentified Potion | 6 uses.

Moss:
  1. Bag of Malachite Powder | Can be sold for 10 Alchemical.
  2. Mithril Key | Can be sold for 5 Alchemical.
  3. Onyx Comb | Can be sold for 5 alchemical
  4. Severed Finger with a Jade Ring | Can be sold for 15 Alchemical
  5. Scrap | Can be sold for 14 metal. When smelted and turned into steel ingots, can be sold for 24 metal.

Moss tossed into the bag his loot, gingerly and with great distaste poking out the severed finger off the jade ring before he plopped it in his bag. Then they continued their journey, and there was one point where to his horror, one of the frozen giant legs in one of the giant traps above the canal moved. There was a giant inside the cage and it was still alive.

There was no other way through, they had to pass it. Slooooowly. Caaaaarefully they passed it. It was a giant woman, wincing in pain, her thin bony legs pierced by spikes that kept her in place. The wound was old, black, frozen, smelly, gangrenous. She blue skin was tinged green, she was sickly. There was heavy movement up above, and they saw another arm reach gently for her mouth, feeding her with what looked like dripping mammoth cheese mixed with roasted meat. Some that still had clothes stuck to their roasted limbs. It looked like the giant feeding the woman had caught unfortunate souls on the road, travelers it seemed that came from the Forbidden Forest judging by the clothes. A grey beard came into view. It was the shepherd frost giant man from earlier. He was gently speaking to her in what sounded like Gobblegook. Moss didn't understand it, but the bearded giant used soothing tones.

And then he and Isa and Smoky were pass them. The light at the end of the tunnel was in sight, orange as the sky was slowly dimming to the red and purple of dusk. The worse was behind them, and they emerged into the end of the canal, in the banks of a frozen river, surrounded by a snowy land where ruined farmsteads stood. The city was behind them, its western gate blocked by a herd of mammoths grazing in a thin grove of red autumn trees.

Katsuya Katsuya

- Slave Auction -
"Nightpost"

"I don't know you, you could just run off with my goods and not do the job. Tell you what, Porter Brees' got a lot of goods in his ship, things you can steal. If you do this for me, I'll help you find a good fence in Flameguard Keep who could pay you a better price for them goods than in the market place."

CoconutLeaves CoconutLeaves

- Western Outskirts of Elunore -
"Eastern Edge of Windshear"

“I had come home with a cut on my head and Mother started up a storm. Just diving into the town’s doctor.” Isa chuckled, smiling wide. “The old man was grumpy because she kept hovering over him as he put stitches.” Then he listened to Moss’ childhood memories, chuckling at how odd Moss was as a guppy.

“At least you don’t come home with broken bones and cuts like me for being clumsy.” He said, patting Moss’ back amiably. “I was the village idiot.”

Continuing with their careful hike, Isa froze in his spot, hiding behind a ruined home as he listened a roaring “HOOOMS” from the passing frost giant. He held his breathe as he watched Moss drop and hang from the roof. His eyes wide in worry and peeked around the house, seeing the course and hairy feet of the frost giant passing by them. Too close! TOO CLOSE! At first, the redhead voiced his worry, but when Moss pointed out his reasons, he nodded. Praying under his breathe that Loki watch over the merman as he scouted. He didn’t move from his spot, sitting on his bike with his head down, until Moss came back. Trembling, but Isa went over to give him a one-arm hug to calm his fears. “Okay. I’ll follow your lead.”

As they walked through the old tunnel, Isa stared at the cages with a blank face. Haunted as he could imagine what had happened to the captured giants. When they found some loot, the redhead took his share, quickly looking over the items; he put on the cobra earring. Hissing at how cold they were before looking at Moss with fluttering eyelashes. Fingertips lightly weaved as his hands flattened under his chin and puckered his lips a bit; teasing. “Do I look pretty with these, Moss?” Then he chuckled quietly, feeling the the earring wave around with each head bob.

As they made their way to the exit and saw history repeating itself —- what with a giant being trapped with another feeding her, Isa carefully avoided anything that would catch their attention. Getting closer and closer to their exit-

Once they were far away enough from the tender giants, Isa insisted Moss to hop on his bike. Riding quickly away as they emerged from the tunnel and noise hidden by the mammoths’ pounding footsteps. Snowflakes flying once more as the redhead went to the ruined farmstead in hopes to have shelter. Moss can feel how hard his heart pounded against his chest, obviously nervous and relieved from being safe from the frost giants without using his fire magic.

The redhead hid his bike inside of the ruined barn and sighed, practically melting over the handles after turning Smoky off. Curling his arms and nesting his head on top. “Thought we’d be mammoth cheese for a second there.“ Isa said. The old gold cobra earrings curling around the curve of his reddened cheeks from the lobs of his pointed ears. Like it was ready to strike someone with it’s wings flared out. He gave Moss his goggles since he was going faster than normal.

Weapon: A Black mage staff with raven sitting at the top. Indigo ragnite for eyes.
  1. Hollowed Unicorn Horn | Can be sold for 10 Alchemical.
  2. Giant's Belt of Shriveled Hands | Can be sold for 5 Alchemical.
  3. Box of Blue Volcanic Ash | Can be sold for 5 alchemical
  4. Cobra shaped Mithril Earrings | Can be sold for 15 Alchemical
  6. Unidentified Potion | 6 uses.

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
farmint.jpg
- Barn -
"Western Outskirts of Elunore, Eastern Edge of Windshear"

Moss frowned. "I don't think you're an idiot." he disagreed earlier. He thought for a moment then placed a hand on Isa's shoulder. "Isa, you don't have to make yourself look bad to comfort me, it doesn't comfort me at all since it's at your expense. You're not an idiot."

After that, when Isa gave him a one armed-hug after he returned, shaking from scouting out a path, Moss smiled, relaxed. "Thanks, fluffy cinammon bun." and one arm hugged him back in return.

In the tunnels, he chuckled and nodded at Isa. "Yes, you look good in them, Isa." he said, amused.

Moss had hopped on to the back seat, keeping his head turned back to see if the giant heard the loud roar of the motorbike as they sped under the tunnels. But there was no HOOM, nor the thundering foot falls of a frost giant chasing after them. He got off Isa's bike when they reached the safety of the barn, then quickly swung the creaky barn door shut and pulled down a wooden bar across it to barricade it against anything that would like to come in. He too sighed in relief. "Same, I thought it would hear Smoky." he laughed nervously, running a hand through his hair.

On the first floor, the barn had two big double doors, one to the east side where they had entered and was now shut, another to the west that was also barricaded. Its wooden walls were termite ridden, half frozen, with streaks of the sunset shining through holes and cracks between planks, dust motes swirling around them. There were old barrels, crates, moldy rotten half frozen stacks of hay, scattered tools, four old magic lanterns that needed new ragnite stones, a broken wagon, old saddles, and a few bony remains inside the wooden stalls. Only four small windows high up touching the edge of the roof, two on each side above the doors. Wooden posts and beams crossed above them, and an old ladder led to a small second floor that roofed half of the first. Here there were more stacks of hay, a rusty bucket, lots of saw dust, a metal clockwork contraption that looked like a half-finished rusty copper bull, its chest open, with gears and a lot of things missing, one leg gone, and one metal side missing plates so that one could see the internal device and skeleton of metallic joints and pivots that at one time centuries ago made the machine walk. Beside it was another machine, it had wheels and many ploughs, and rigging that matched the back of the copper bull.

Outside to the east the exit of the ravine lay a small speck in the distance, probably an hour's ride on Isa's bike. Beyond it, in the fog, they could glimpse the setting sun setting alight the edges of a forest in a wide meadow in glowing red and gold.

Katsuya Katsuya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back