• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
"It's fine. Sounds like we have something in common," Mai replied with a coy smile. She glanced at Niko and let out a honeyed chuckle. To her, he didn't seem the type who'd want to pay for her drinks, but maybe he could provide her some entertainment.

"That's awfully generous of you. Arigato." She pressed her hands together and politely bowed toward Tom.

She took a seat at the bar and crossed her legs confidently. Placing her hand on a stool beside her, she tapped it with one finger; inviting Niko to sit beside her if he wished.

“Mai Bennett,” she introduced herself, briefly extending an arm across the bar like she was expecting someone to kiss the back of her hand. "A Tom Collins, please.

~~
Meanwhile, Roxy was staring at the drum kit without really staring at it. While she had found Tom's advice helpful, it was still a lot to think about.

Gwalihir Gwalihir Ashy_OCdesigns Ashy_OCdesigns

Last edited:
<< "It's fine. Sounds like we have something in common," Mai replied with a coy smile. >>

Tom was rather surprised by her easy acceptance of Niko, but it was nice to see. “That’s very kind of you, miss. I take it you’ve guessed that Niko is a bit older than he looks: about 25, I believe he said. He is currently staying with us, in one of the rooms upstairs.”

<< "That's awfully generous of you. Arigato." She pressed her hands together and politely bowed toward Tom. >>

“Doitashimashite,” replied Tom, enunciating carefully and bowing in return. “Think nothing of it. We welcome newcomers and always hope they’ll be back. Besides, lovely ladies draw other customers as well.”

<< Placing her hand on a stool beside her, she tapped it with one finger; inviting Niko to sit beside her if he wished. >>

Just then Mark approached carrying a medium sized bag which he passed to Tom. “This was just delivered for Niko from McMurtaugh’s: something about a ‘doggie bag.’”

“Ah, yes. Very kind of them to think of Niko before he has officially started with them. Niko: it looks like your dinner has arrived.”

As Niko lurched off towards the stairs, Tom turned back to Mai and smiled. “Sorry to drive off your new friend, but I believe he prefers to dine in private. Anyway: what did you say you would like to drink, Miss…?”

<< “Mai Bennett,” she introduced herself, briefly extending an arm across the bar like she was expecting someone to kiss the back of her hand. "A Tom Collins, please.” >>

Tom took her hand and bowed once more, planting a gentlemanly kiss on it. “Tom Nelson. A pleasure, Miss Bennett. Allow me…”

Ben had been drawn away to serve other customers while they had been chatting, so Tom took it upon himself to mix the lady’s drink himself, topping it off with the traditional cherry and slice of lemon. “Always reminds me of a lemonade on a hot summer day,” he remarked.

Once again he caught a whiff from her of something exotic, but this time he recognized it. He chuckled to himself.

“So, if I may ask: what brings such a ‘foxy’ young lady as yourself to my bar tonight?”

<< Meanwhile, Roxy was staring at the drum kit without really staring at it… >>

While Roxy was caught up in her reverie, two young men dressed in blue jeans and concert shirts approached the stage and stepped up. The blond one nodded to her. “Hey, there! If you’re waiting for the music, we’ll be trippin’ it in, like, fifteen or so. Catch a drink if you like: there’s plenty of time.”

The dark haired one waved to her and picked up a guitar waiting on the stage. “I’m Jeff: he’s George. We do a kind of ‘Bill & Ted’s’ schtick up here, hope you enjoy. We’ll play when Azalea is off for the night.”

Just then Azalea approached. “Hi, boys! I guess you’ve just met Roxy. Mark tells me she’s a drummer, so we’ll give her a chance to treat us tomorrow. Meantime she’s one of the Pack, so she’ll be going with me tonight.”

The two boys pouted for just a second. “Aww, you’re gonna miss our set!” Jeff exclaimed. “That’s a shame,” added George, “but maybe tomorrow. Tonight’s the third one, right? You’re free tomorrow?”

“Yes, she will be,” replied Azalea. “We will see you then.”

“Excellent!” the two replied together as George popped a beat on the drums and Jeff ran a quick riff on the guitar.

“So, you ready for tonight?” Azalea asked Roxy. “Remember, we’re getting you a territory for you to run and hunt in. I think you’ll like it.”

PixelSymphony PixelSymphony shadowdude505 shadowdude505

Mai waved goodbye to Niko as he headed to the stairs.

"It was a little odd at first," she replied, turning back to Tom. "He looks too young to be in a bar, but then it dawned on me; everyone in here aren't exactly human."

She smirked playfully as she watched Tom, letting out a honeyed chuckle as he spoke Japanese back to her and another as he later kissed her hand.

Her smirk widened after he called her foxy. She took a quick sip of her drink before answering.

"Wasn't sure you'd get it. Kitsunes are pretty rare around here. Most stick to Asia," she replied, stirring her straw. "A streak of mischief brought me here. There I was, in my Uncle's antique shop, when an young businessman walked into the door. He was human, American, and Mr. Moneybags; a mark that was hard to ignore. I put on my charm, he fell in love, we got married, I moved across the sea, and then I got bored with the whole thing and left him. Par for the course for a kitsune, although...there are stories about my kind actually wanting to be housewives...they don't usually end well..." For a moment she sounded saddened.

She took another quick sip. "I was searching for other amusements that America could offer, when I felt a tinge of magic..." She walked her hand up Tom's arm . "...and it led me to your front door." She let out a quick chuckle and returned her hand to her drink.

"Did I hear right? This is your 2nd night of operation? You wouldn't happen to have any openings...would you tiger? I'm beginning to like it here; reminds me of my Uncle's shop, more lively of course. You said it yourself, a pretty lady draws in customers. I could give them a 'good time'; get people to return. Would you like a demonstration?" she asked with a saucy smile and honeyed eyes.

~~~

"Huh?" Roxy could hear someone talking to her, but it took a moment for her brain to catch up with reality. She ended up missing the first few things Jeff said.

She was about to stutter over some words when Azalea walked over and began to talk.

Roxy just smiled and nodded, then followed after the singer.

"I'm going to have to be...," she replied. "Sorry, my headspace has been somewhere else since I got back. How long was I zoned out?"

"Hey...um..."
she started to say a moment later. "Do you think we could...squeeze in some girl talk... while getting the territory thing settled?"

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< "He looks too young to be in a bar, but then it dawned on me; everyone in here aren't exactly human." >>

Tom nodded. “That is correct. The bar attracts preternaturals of all types. I was expecting vampires and werewolves, but have been meeting a lot of other unusual folk since last night. Just none so tastefully refined as yourself.”

<< "Wasn't sure you'd get it. Kitsunes are pretty rare around here. Most stick to Asia," she replied… >>

“Never have been to Japan, more’s the pity. Thought once or twice about catching the red-eye, all night the whole trip, but if there were delays and I was stranded, I’d be screwed. And once I got there, I would have no way of coming home except the traditional ‘slow boat from China.’

“But I have heard of your kind in folklore, and am pleasantly surprised to meet you.”

Tom listened attentively as she gave him the short version of her history.

<< "I was searching for other amusements that America could offer, when I felt a tinge of magic..." She walked her hand up Tom's arm . "...and it led me to your front door." >>

“My lucky day, literally. How much truth is there to the rumor that kitsune bring good luck to those around them?”

<< "Did I hear right? This is your 2nd night of operation? You wouldn't happen to have any openings...would you tiger? >>

“If I didn’t yet, I would make one just for you. I never turn away a lady of talent and style, and I am betting you have bucketfuls of both.”

<< You said it yourself, a pretty lady draws in costumers. I could give them a 'good time'; get people to return. Would you like a demonstration?" >>

“You would be welcome to join us. Fatima is in charge of the ladies, mostly nymphs, who take the gentlemen upstairs for a ‘real’ good time, but I am betting you had something a bit classier in mind. And yes, I would love a demonstration. Please, be my guest.”

<< "Sorry, my headspace has been somewhere else since I got back. How long was I zoned out?" >>

“Not sure, my dear,” Azalea replied: “I just spotted you when the boys approached, and I am guessing you were in lala land for a while before that.

“Don’t worry: it’s to be expected when you’re going through a major transition like this. It would be a little odd if you didn’t act and feel a little odd.”

<< "Hey...um..." she started to say a moment later. "Do you think we could...squeeze in some girl talk... while getting the territory thing settled?" >>

“Absolutely. We will want to head out pretty soon, then. I can’t talk in my ghost wolf form, so we’ll get to our destination and chat before I call to the others. How does that suit you?”

“Actually, it’s about time now. Why don’t you head upstairs, save those clothes of yours and come look for me. I’ll lead you on out.”

Once Roxy followed the ghost wolf, she was led deep into the woods, then up a hillside to a large triangular rock formation. As she arrived she scented the territorial markings of three other wolves, two male and one other female. The markings seemed focused on the three sides of the triangle, like this was some cornerstone for three territories. When she reached the top she saw that the view from there was truly spectacular. She could see for miles in every direction.

The ghost wolf was waiting for her at the top, and when she arrived it transformed back into the form of Azalea.

“Here we are, sweetie. With a little negotiation this will become the center of your new grounds. Three other wolves will have to sacrifice a small bit of their territory for you to get something about the same size, but they’re used to that.”

Azalea sat and dangled her legs over one of the sides, staring off in the distance for a moment before turning back to Roxy.

“So, what’s on your mind, Sunshine?”

shadowdude505 shadowdude505 PixelSymphony PixelSymphony

"It's as true as anything. It just depends on the kitsune. If your a mark, not so lucky. If we decide to help, or actually fall in love, you're very lucky indeed. Today you're very lucky," Mai replied.

"Classy? Maybe I did, maybe I didn't," she chuckled flirtatiously, spinning the straw in her drink. "I pegged you as the responsible businessman, was I wrong?" she asked, standing up. "Or are you simply putting me on the spot?" She smirked.

Mai grabbed a couple napkins and folded them like paper fans. One for each hand, she coyly held one in front of her mouth. "I guess I felt classy after all," she winked at Tom. She began a geisha fan dance in front of the bar, adding her kitsune elegance to the establishment.

PixelSymphony PixelSymphony
Gwalihir
~~~

Roxy nodded and ran up the stairs to her room. She quickly took off her clothes and changed into the robe. Of course it wouldn't stay on after the wolf transformation, but it was better than ripping her clothes.

She caught up with Azalea and started to pant after reaching their destination. The view was amazing and her eyes briefly lit up, then she caught the three wolf scents and started to tense up. Hopefully the negations would go OK, if they were used to it, maybe she had nothing to worry about...

“So, what’s on your mind, Sunshine?”

"Last night...," she sighed. "Altheus used the word mate to describe the friend I tried to save from him. His name is Randy. We've known each other since we were kids. In my head, I wanted to deny that we were mates; we weren't even boyfriend/girlfriend at the time. But today...." she paused. "Today...I went to my house to get my things and he just showed up. One of my parents must have gave him a heads up, but that's not important...What is important is...I think I love him more than I realized. I mean...I tried to fight up what I thought was just a wolf afterall..."

"Mark was my driver today and he saw everything that happened at my house today. He felt boyfriend vibes off of Randy. I can't believe I never caught on... I left things open for Randy and I wouldn't be surprised if a romantic confession was around the corner. I don't think he'd mind being a werewolf, but I need to wait for him to confess first; that's what Tom suggested. Then I could talk to Lucas about turning him the right way...we could even share a territory, if that's possible."

"It feels like I'm counting my chickens before they hatch... I know I'm off limits for the other males, but how long exactly is that? I also want to do things the right way...but above all else..."
she sniffled. "I don't want him to get assassinated just for knowing things like us exist."

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
<< If we decide to help, or actually fall in love, you're very lucky indeed. Today you're very lucky," Mai replied. >>

Tom laughed. “I take it that means you have decided to help. Either that or you’re a believer in love at first sight.”

<< "Classy? Maybe I did, maybe I didn't," she chuckled flirtatiously… >>

“Well, I didn’t figure you for a girl who lays out the whole package at once. You’ve far greater appreciation of the sense of mystery for that.”

<< "I pegged you as the responsible businessman, was I wrong?" she asked, standing up. "Or are you simply putting me on the spot?" She smirked. >>

He shrugged, a twinkle in his eye. “You offered, who was I to turn you down? A ‘responsible businessman’ knows enough to interview or audition new talent before he hires: what else would you expect?”

<< Mai grabbed a couple napkins and folded them like paper fans. One for each hand, she coyly held one in front of her mouth. "I guess I felt classy after all," she winked at Tom. She began a geisha fan dance in front of the bar, adding her kitsune elegance to the establishment. >>

Jeff and George had started off the set that night with “Surfin’ USA,” and carried on with other Beach Boys and 70’s songs, but were winding down on one when Mai began to dance, clearing the floor with her entrance. The boys nudged each other and whispered back and forth for a moment, then George stepped away from the drums and moved to the electronic keyboard. He reset a dial, and suddenly the keyboard sounded not like a piano, but like oriental flutes. Jeff modified his grip on the guitar and produced a more oriental sounding strain from there as well. The sound was oriental, but the basic tune was not: it was another seventies classic, Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer.” Jeff bent to the mike and began to croon:

“Blue-jean baby,
LA lady,
Seamstress for the band…”

The wind whistled across the peak, leaving an unseasonable chill in the air. The night sky had barely a few clouds in it, and mostly the full moon and stars shone down like dazzling gems as Roxy told her story to Azalea. Azalea listened attentively, reaching out to stroke Roxy’s reddish fur once in a while in a supportive gesture. When Roxy finished, she sighed.

“Wow. Just right out of the gate, you’re steppin’ into it nice and deep. There are few things that make more trouble for a new wolf than unsettled love, and when you don’t even know: well, that’s the toughest of all.

“You do have to be very careful here. Randy represents a danger to us if there’s a risk of him finding out the truth. But what is he to you? Possible true love? Who can fight that?

“You need to see: can he cope when the chips are down? Is he ‘there for you’ when you need him? And how does he feel about wolves, weres, and other things that go ‘bump’ in the night?

Now, _if_ Randy were to be turned, he would be under a three-month moratorium not to try to claim any females, just like no males have the right to try to claim you for three months. If you became a pair, you could certainly share a territory. But that’s counting chickens, as you say. Gotta wait for love, then get Lucas’ approval to bring him in, and _that_ means Randy will get tested a number of times and ways before Lucas says yes. And in the meantime, no serious intimacy between you two, or you could turn him accidentally. Kissing is alright, but don’t you dare lick a wound of his or do anything more personal. Turning him without permission could be what would get him killed.

“Anyway: we can talk more later if you like. But for now: time to meet your neighbors.”

So saying, Azalea stood and let out a genuine wolf howl: one that rose and carried beautifully in the night air.

“They’ll be coming soon…”

shadowdude505 shadowdude505

Mai finished her dance and bowed to the audience, before retuning to her stool; she plopped the napkin fans beside her on the bar. She sipped a bit on her drink before speaking. "I think I misjudged you...," she rested her chin on the back of her hand. "Maybe I am falling in love," she flirtatiously teased.

She turned her attention to the two musicians. "Nice backup there, boys," she said, raising her glass like she was making a toast.

"So...did I get the job or not?" she cooed at Tom. "It's rude to string a lady along." She finished up her drink and started to pull out the fruit.

~~~

Roxy sighed, but nodded to show that she understood. Honestly, it sounded easier to just come clean after (if) Randy confessed his feelings. Would that be the right call though? When the time came, she'd just have to trust her instincts and hope for the best.

"What should I say when they get here?" Roxy asked. "Do I need to say anything?" She was getting nervous, but now it was about the task at hand instead of Randy.

Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
Niko went back to the bar, he had clearly missed something. It would be night soon and he had smiled pretty creepily without realizing. "I finally get a good meal soon"he thought.

He realized that people were entertaining at the bar, and he decided to pay attention to what was happening. He choked, but he had tried to quiet it down.

Last edited:
Tom had clapped enthusiastically when Mai finished her dance, and stuck around while she had more to drink. “Very nicely done. I knew a Greek restaurant where they had a belly dancer on certain nights; I am sure we could feature you in the same way.”

<< "I think I misjudged you...," she rested her chin on the back of her hand. "Maybe I am falling in love," she flirtatiously teased. >>

Tom shrugged. “Easy enough to do, misjudging someone on first appearances. But easy to get out of, too.” He smiled. “Love, on the other hand: a trickier proposition, both getting in and getting out. I usually start with ‘interested,’ and see where that goes.”

<< She turned her attention to the two musicians. "Nice backup there, boys," she said, raising her glass like she was making a toast. >>

Jeff and George smiled back, riffed, and started in on their next song: Boston’s “More than a Feeling.”

<< "So...did I get the job or not?" she cooed at Tom. "It's rude to string a lady along." She finished up her drink and started to pull out the fruit. >>

“No stringing intended. How about you start tomorrow? The full moon will be over, I am anticipating a much larger turnout, and I daresay they would all find you very entertaining.

“So for tonight, right now, care for another Tom Collins or something else and we can chat some more?”

He noticed Niko hovering around the bottom of the stairs. “So, Niko? Did you catch the fan dance? What did you think?”

<< "What should I say when they get here?" Roxy asked. "Do I need to say anything?" >>

“I would hold off and speak when they speak to you. We’re telling them you’re about to take part of their turf; speaking up might be seen as aggressive.”

As Azalea spoke a couple of wolves came into view, then one more, all coming from different directions. Two were males, one female, all were betas. One of the males spoke up.

“Well met, wolf-sister. What can we do for you?”

“Greetings, brother wolf,” she replied. “I bring you a new sister whom you met last night. As she is new, she has not a turf on which to run. I am counting on your hospitality and generosity to help her out. Your three turfs are among the largest in the territory. I was hoping you might find it within yourselves to part with a few acres each to grant her a fair portion on which to hunt.

“Note that it has been some time since I came to each of you. I do not ask lightly; others have given many times since my last request to you. I ask that you honor it as your due to the Pack.”

The male wolf did not look happy in Roxy’s eyes, but he did not challenge anything that Azalea had said.

“For many moons this point has been a marking point for our three turfs. Do you wish us now to give away these hills closest to the point, to give her a turf for which this is the center?”

Azalea nodded. “If each of you give an equal portion, then none need give much to meet this need. Here be the map of your turfs; to where are you willing to draw the new lines?”

There was some discussion among the three wolves and Azalea before the turf was declared. In the end, Roxy could see that each wolf had carved out a triangle from their turf to give to her, and her triangle was about the size of what was left of each of theirs.

“Now, Roxy: run with each of your brothers and sisters in turn to seek out and mark the new boundaries. Get to know each as you go. You will want to be good friends with your neighbors. When you are done, run and hunt across your new turf and learn your way around. I have other Pack business this night: I shall see you in the morning.”

And so saying, Azalea’s figure transformed into the ghost wolf and she loped away...

shadowdude505 shadowdude505 Ashy_OCdesigns Ashy_OCdesigns

Mai maintained a flirty smile as she listened to Tom.

"Sounds perfect," she replied. "Are you expecting a werewolf crowd? I wonder what they'll think when they get a whiff of me."

Her grin widened after Tom offered his company and asked her if she wanted another drink.

"How could I refuse such a charming host? Another Tom Collins would be wonderful, but your company would make it even better."

She flashed Niko a smile as he approached. She was also curious what he had thought of her dance, if he had managed to catch it.

~~

Roxy remained silent as Azalea worked things out with the other wolves. One of the males didn't seem too happy about the whole thing, but he didn't make a fuss either.

"Oh..." She hadn't expected Azalea to leave; then again, she didn't really know what to expect when claiming a territory. "See you tomorrow..."

She turned to the other wolves and positioned herself near the female, feeling more comfortable there. "Thanks...I....I owe you guys one," she bowed her head.

"Lead the way."

As she followed, she tried to think of things that could help her get to know her new neighbors.

"A lot has happened these past few days, for me anyway...," she said a little sheepishly. "I feel like we've met at the pack meeting...Sorry, could you remind me your names?" she asked. "How long have you three been werewolves? Is it possible to be born one?"

"What dance?" He asked, as he had missed it. "The boys had a nice tune, though" He added. (He's gonna turn out to be autosexual later on)
Niko quickly said"see you later", he was going to find a cemetery.

Last edited:
<< "Sounds perfect," she replied. "Are you expecting a werewolf crowd? I wonder what they'll think when they get a whiff of me." >>

“Just what I was suggesting. I suspect they would find you enticing and exotic, like a blonde walking into a Mexican bar. I expect you will be very popular.”

<< "How could I refuse such a charming host? Another Tom Collins would be wonderful, but your company would make it even better." >>

Tom chuckled. “Just like your drinks, you are quite complimentary tonight. Am I truly so dazzling of wit and figure as to have taken your breath away? Must be the new cologne…

“So, if I may inquire: where did you learn to fan dance? And what other skills did you learn there?”

<< "What dance?" (Niko) asked, as he had missed it. "The boys had a nice tune, though" He added. Niko quickly said"see you later"... >>

Tom chuckled yet again as Niko took off. “One of our odder ducks, that’s for sure. It takes all kinds, they say. I’d say we’ve got all kinds…”

<< She turned to the other wolves and positioned herself near the female, feeling more comfortable there. "Thanks...I....I owe you guys one," she bowed her head. >>

The disgruntled male softened his stance, giving the wolfen version of a shrug. “I’ve had worse neighbors. Still do. At least you’re not prancing around like you’re entitled to it. That can be annoying.”

The female snickered and nudged the male. “Don’t let Rufus get under your hide, Shelton. He’s no Alpha, and acting like one is gonna cost him one day soon.”

Shelton sighed. “You know, Wanda, you’re right. Let him go ‘round biting tails; eventually he’ll bite the wrong one.”

The other male snorted. “Lucky me, I don’t have to deal with him. But I have seen him prancing around at Pack meetings, and yeah, he looks like he’s headed for an ass-whuppin’. But anyway, let’s get this show on the road: the little lady doesn’t have all night.”

He trotted off down into the woods, and the other wolves followed.

<< "A lot has happened these past few days, for me anyway...," she said a little sheepishly. "I feel like we've met at the pack meeting...Sorry, could you remind me your names?" she asked. >>

“Yeah, the first full moon is like that,” the female replied. “I’m Wanda: Mr Grumpy up there is Shelton, and the other guy is Jonas. I think I remember Azalea introducing you as ‘Roxy,’ right?”

<< "How long have you three been werewolves? Is it possible to be born one?" >>

“Last question answered first,” said Wanda: “The chances of a shifter baby and its mama both surviving nine months of full moon transformations are about diddly. Yeah, sure, if Azalea could stay with the mama and keep her from shifting each night for all nine months, it might be possible. But that’s asking an awful lot of Az: far more than appropriate.

”Generally speaking, the baby is lost at the first full moon.”

Wanda filled her in on her past as they followed a trail down towards the first part of Jonas’ boundary. Wanda had been a bit of a barfly (still was, except of course for full moon nights), and had taken home the wrong guy. Fooling around had gotten her infected about two years ago, Azalea had found her and she had been running with the pack ever since. As popular as she was with the males, she had outfought and outrun any would-be suitors and hoped to keep it that way.

“It probably seems barbaric that grown men and women who just happen to turn into wolves every month would fight for mates instead of wining and dining like civilized people, but the wolfen urges are just too strong to resist. “You’ll see when it comes your time.”

“Here we are,” announced Jonas, as they arrived at a fork in a stream and a log that crossed over it.

“This is one of three corners to your turf. Cross the stream and go left, you’re in my neck of the woods. Cross and go right, and you’re in Wanda’s. Follow the stream either way and you’re in yours as long as you don’t cross over. Simple enough.”

He walked out to the middle of the log, raised a hind leg and marked it. Then he came back, and so did Wanda.

“Your turn. We’ll pass a lot of landmarks, and you’ll want to mark each of them on your side, as I mark mine on my side. Better get a drink at the stream while you can.” Jonas gave her a wolfish grin.

They turned left and proceeded up the stream, Jonas on his side of the stream marking landmarks for himself, Wanda pointing out landmarks for Roxy to mark on her side. Obviously chatting with Jonas would be problematic with him across the stream, but there was still Shelton.

“Don’t laugh,” he said, “but by day I’m an accountant. Me, meet up with some big hairy monster and get bit? Most unlikely thing in the world. But I was driving back home from an audit, and two big dogs charged out into the road right ahead of me. I swerved, missed one, but hit the other. I stopped and got out, thinking they were just domestic dogs, and went over to check the injured one. Big mistake. He wasn’t that injured; in fact, he was already healing up. He lashed out at me, he got me, and next full moon: well, you know the rest.

“Next month Azalea found me cowering naked in an alley, half out of my mind, not getting it. She explained and brought me to the Pack, and here I am.”

Jonas had been quite right about getting a drink from the stream. Just this side of her property seemed to go on for a very long time before Shelton stopped her at a cliff hanging over the stream.

“This is it. From here we leave the stream, and the landmarks aren’t quite so easy to find, but this is your border with my turf. I think Jonas has had enough, and he’s leaving us to go hunt now. But we’ll stick with you, get this side marked and then you’ll mark yours and Wanda’s.”

Most of the talk from that point was about which rocks and trees were boundary points and marking each of them, Shelton on his side, Roxy on hers. Again, the border seemed pretty long. Her turf had to be sizable. That felt good to know.

Finally they reached Wanda’s corner, and Shelton bid the two of them good night. Wanda led her through another series of landmarks that finally brought them back to the log over the stream.

“And done,” said Wanda: “Your property is marked. There’s not much of the night left, but you might explore while you can. If you hang out at the bar, I’ll probably see you soon. Otherwise, see you next month at Pack.”

And so Wanda trotted off on the log, turning right and leaving Roxy to her own devices for the rest of the night.

"I'm back" Niko said, he had tried to wipe all the flesh from his teeth before he got there.(he cannot see small words)He had only been able to locate Last Castle because of the magic it gave off, as well as the smell that he had left behind.
"What did I miss?"he asked, casually going through the door as if he had just been shopping.

"Don't worry, there'll be more chances to see me perform," Mai said to Niko, waving goodbye as he left.

She turned her attention back to Tom and began to work on her drink.

"My Aunt taught me. Someone in her family line disguised herself as a geisha and passed the knowledge down. I can sing, perform tea ceremonies, and cook too... but it's not that entertaining if I can't use my fox fire," she replied.

"Don't think about too hard, tiger. The cologne helps, but you're easily much more interesting than the other vampires I met. They usually stayed to themselves, unless they wanted an antique in the middle of the night; but they didn't really want the antique...my Uncle would stash blood containers. The humans could sleep well whenever they made a pickup. You're not the only one being like us, but I'd wager you are the first vampire to open up a bar, at least...one like this."

She turned her gaze toward the center of the room and smiled warmly.

"So what's your story, tiger? I gave you the short version of mine; it's only fair to give me a short version of yours."

"What did I miss?"

"Just a good drink and great company. There's not much to report. Those boys have been killing their sets and I think everyone's too busy enjoying themselves to make a scene."

~~~

"Oh....," Roxy's ears drooped. It sucked that having a werewolf baby was pretty much impossible. She sighed. It was way too early for her to be thinking about raising kids; at least she won't have to learn about the complications shifting caused on a pregnancy the hard way.

Now it was time to make her first mark. Of course it was the wolf way. "Wanda...can you make the boys look away, please?" she asked. As a camper she was used to peeing in the woods, but human etiquette dictated that to be privacy time. "This is so weird...," she muttered to herself.

After making her first mark, she took a quick drink from the stream.

She followed after other werewolves, marked her new turf, and listened to what the other three had to say. By the time she finished, it was just Wanda and her.

"I'm going to be a waitress there. It's going to be pretty easy to find me there," she replied. "I'll see you around, and thanks."

Then it was just her. She decided to do a quick look around of her turf; familiarize herself with it a little, before heading back to the bar.

She later climbed up the fire escape and entered through her room's window. Totally exhausted from the night's activity, she plopped herself down on her bed and curled her tail around herself before falling asleep.

"Oops" Niko said, just noticing the brown bag, "could always save that for later"
"Just saying...don't have any skills" Niko said to Tom, "do not expect me to entertain anybody. Just thought I'd tell you that"

<< "My Aunt taught me. Someone in her family line disguised herself as a geisha and passed the knowledge down. I can sing, perform tea ceremonies, and cook too... but it's not that entertaining if I can't use my fox fire," she replied. >>

“How very elegant!” said Tom: “It has been a long while since I participated in a formal tea ceremony. I’m afraid cooking would be wasted on me: no eating, just drinking. But as entertainment… maybe we could set you up with an exception that would allow your foxfire. Certainly the wolves would appreciate that.”

<< …”I'd wager you are the first vampire to open up a bar, at least...one like this." >>

“Well, as far as bars go, I’ve opened quite a number of them. Think about it: a business that takes place indoors, and mostly at night. What more could a vampire ask for?

“But as to this particular bar designed for its exclusive patronage: yes, this may well be a first. A rather ambitious project of mine, but that’s just my way.”

<< "So what's your story, tiger? I gave you the short version of mine; it's only fair to give me a short version of yours." >>

Tom nodded. “But of course, m’lady. Let’s see, where to start...

“Let’s just say I look _real_ good for my age. Born in 8th century Britain, right after Camelot. Started out as a knight errant, found that didn’t pay the bills too well, so I worked for a Baron for a time. One of his enemies was a vampire who turned me and totally controlled me. Not my best times, but in the end I got him back. Trouble was, his army didn’t take kindly to that, and they came after me. So, fled to America, and have been tending and opening bars for the last 150 years or so.

“Sometimes I helped preternaturals establish new lives for themselves - I still do - but I never set up a bar specifically for preters until now. I just got tired of all the infighting between vamps and weres, between Seelie and UnSeelie, and there was just the one thing most of us have in common: the dread that humans will find out. So: I am looking for a way to bring all sides together to keep the peace and protect our secret. Like I said: ambitious, but that’s just me. I hope you can see the value there.”

<< "Wanda...can you make the boys look away, please?" >>

All three of her companions howled with laughter. It was at least a good minute before Wanda could gasp out a few words.

“Well, no question you’re new. Kiddo, you’re just gonna have to get used to it. Just a little raising of the leg, a little spritz, and you’re on your way. No catcalls, and no wolf whistles.”

< < "Just saying...don't have any skills" Niko said to Tom, "do not expect me to entertain anybody. Just thought I'd tell you that" >>

Thomas chuckled. “Trust me, Niko: you’re entertaining enough without even trying. You’ll earn your keep at McMurtaugh’s and just pay a little rent here. That’s all we really expect.”

Thomas rose from his seat behind the bar, giving Mai’s hand another kiss. “My dear, this has been a most stimulating hour, but I must go press the flesh and otherwise behave like a bar owner for a bit. Please enjoy your evening, and I look forward to seeing you here tomorrow night.”

He turned back to Niko. “I do hope you’ll take that bag with you. You can store it in the fridge if you like, just don’t leave it sitting out. I expect I’ll be seeing you tomorrow, too.”

GM’s note: we’re doing a time jump from Sunday night to the following Friday, 01/21/2021. Please presume everyone is settling nicely into their routines, and we’re getting ready for a hot night at the club. If you feel like giving a brief synopsis of the week, fine, but not necessary.

The week felt like it went quickly, but Roxy was adjusting to her new life nicely. She had found an apartment and her family helped her move in her things; She even asked Randy if he'd help her move. Now with the final pieces of furniture in place, Roxy, her parents, brother, and Randy were having supper together at a fast food burger joint. Roxy was having a good time, until she noticed the clock.

"Shoot," she barely stopped herself from saying "shit." She didn't want to swear in front of her bother. "I gotta get going. Thanks for the help today." She hugged her family and gave Randy a too fingered salute. She ran out the door and heard another set of footsteps following her.

"Roxy, wait..."

She spun around to look at him. Was this it?

"What's up?"

"I need to tell you something..." he paused. "I've been waiting for the perfect time and moment, but I don't there ever will be one. The night you disappeared...it hit me hard...and then you reappeared safe and sound...gah...I'm rambling."

He took a deep breath and looked her in the eyes. "What I'm trying to say is...," he said, doing his best Keanu Reeves impression. "I love you, Roxy. Would you be my girlfriend?"

Oh my god! It was "it." Roxy hugged Randy and then grabbed his hands. "I'd love to," she replied. "I recently realized that I had feelings for you too, but there's something I need to tell you first. Not here though."

Every fiber in her being was telling her to come clean. Still holding one of his hands, she lead him toward Last Castle.

~~~
"While we're talking about exceptions, do you think I could have one for my tail. The wolves would like it too, but everyone would love the added elegance; especially you, tiger."

Over the course of the week, Mai returned the rental car and moved into the bar. It was fun living so close to Tom; it gave her more opportunities to flirt with him.

At the moment, she was wearing one of her kimonos; adding some eastern elegance to the room. She sat in one of the booths, watching people go about their business. She smirked as none of the humans noticed her or the establishment. That's when she noticed Roxy leading a young man inside the bar. She could smell the human on him. Her smirk widened. Things were about to get entertaining.

Niko put the flesh in the fridge and came back to find another newcomer, this time a young man. "Holy-How many newcomers are we gonna have?"Niko yelped and then began choking. "stupid organs"he muttered
"okay.."Niko sniffs his arm, and then the newcomer"You guys were right when you said I smelled dead." Niko took another whiff"he's human for sure...but how did he get in here?"

It had taken Tom a little time to get just the right design of carved jade fish hung by a woven red silk cord, and have the amulet enchanted to grant the wearer immunity to the spells cast on the Castle, but he did it. He planned to present it to Mai when there was a chance at the bar.

He came up from the basement level where his rooms were located and spotted her in a kimono in a booth. Perfect. Then he noticed she perked up at something, and his gaze followed hers to the two figures entering the bar: Roxy and a human male about her age. He groaned inwardly: yes, he had been right to be concerned, and he should have followed his instincts. He approached the bar from the server’s side, waving to Roxy.

“Time to suit up, girl: got customers waiting. Who’s your companion?”

When introduced he held out his hand and gave a firm but friendly handshake. “Tom Nelson, bar owner and entrepreneur. Any friend of Roxy’s…”

He waved Randy to a seat at the bar. “First one’s on the house,” he declared: “Just name your poison.”

As he poured Randy’s drink he remarked: “You know, as much as we care about Roxy, we’ve just met her a week ago. If you’re an old friend, what can you tell us about her?”

Just then Jeff and George passed by, and George slapped Jeff on the chest to stop him.

“Outstanding! Look who we’ve got at the bar! Duuuude!”

As they approached, Tom cleared his throat loudly. “Boys, allow me to introduce an old friend of Roxy’s. This is Randy. Randy, these are Jeff and George, our backup band.”

“No way! Dude, has anyone ever told you that you look just like -- “ George sputtered as Jeff thumped him in the arm.

“Of course they have, bro. Just look at him: how could they not?”

George guffawed. “Well, hey: I’m tellin’ ya, the real deal could walk in here any time. Don’t ya know, we’re in Southern California, and the ‘net says he’s a vampire. Doesn’t age at all, just look at his pics. Just like Dick Clark!”

“Boys!” Tom fairly had to holler to get their attention. “How about we leave crazy allegations on the ‘net where they belong, and you greet Randy as a normal human being?”

Jeff and George froze for a moment. “Uh, yeah, dude. Don’t mind us: we just run our mouths sometimes, don’t mean anything. Welcome to Last Castle!”

The two backed off, each swatting the other. “What? Dude, he looked just like--”

“Well, he wasn’t--”

“How were we supposed to know?”

Tom shook his head. “You’ll have to forgive the boys: they officially live in their own little world…”

Then Niko stumbled up to the bar and fixed a foggy gaze on Randy.

<< "Holy-How many newcomers are we gonna have?"Niko yelped and then began choking. "stupid organs"he muttered >>

“It’s called a bar, Niko,” Tom replied. “We hope to have as many newcomers as we can get to come through that door, don’t you know?”

<< "okay.."Niko sniffs his arm, and then the newcomer"You guys were right when you said I smelled dead." Niko took another whiff"he's human for sure...but how did he get in here?" >>

Tom gritted his teeth. “He got in the same way you did: coming through the door to party after a hard day at work. Only difference is, he doesn’t work at a mortuary, so he doesn’t smell like formaldehyde. “

Tom played everything off like it was nothing, but he didn’t know if Randy was buying the act or not...

"This is Randy," Roxy replied. She hadn't quite expected a warm welcome.

"That's awfully generous of you, Tom. Um...you got any Budweiser?" Randy asked. He took a seat at the bar. "Roxy? Well...she's got a big heart and is really fun to be around. She's not afraid to get dirty, and I'll let you in on a secret. She might be a bigger Keanu fan than I am; and I'm definably a fan."

Roxy froze for a moment, contemplating putting on her uniform. No, not yet. She wanted to tell Randy something...better get it done sooner than later. She hovered near Randy's stool; she was about to speak when Jeff and George noticed him. With their Bill & Ted stick, it was unavoidable. Then Niko came along and put in his input; not exactly how she was planning on breaking the news to Randy.

"Don't worry about it. I'm used to it by now," Randy said to Tom. "And as for the vampire thing, I think Keanu just takes care of himself and has good genes. If I'm lucky, looking like him might make me a distant cousin or something..."

He gave Niko an odd look; he was caught off guard by the guy's antics. Working around dead people would explain the comment about his own smell...but what did the rest of his comment mean?

"Wasn't there something you wanted to tell me?" Randy asked Roxy.

"Ya...there was," she replied. "I'm sorry Tom...I see what you're trying to do, but he asked me to be his girlfriend. I just can't lead him on like everything is normal only to be separated again for a couple months when he decides to... follow me. It'll hurt much worse then."

"What are you getting at, Roxy?"

"...I'm a werewolf. Remember that wolf that attacked us? The one that scratched me? He wasn't a normal wolf...and he told me it was an accident. The night I disappeared, that was when I first turned, but I had to make up the story about the perv so that everyone wouldn't look too deep into it. This has to stay between us...if it gets out, people will...will..." She couldn't stop the tears.

"They'd want to kill her," Mai interjected as she gracefully stood up. She walked over to Roxy and maternally rubbed her on the back. "They'd think she's a monster, just cause she's different. You know better than that, right loverboy? She's still the same Roxy. She just transforms into a wolf every full moon. She didn't choose to be that way. A lot of the 'monsters' didn't get a choice..."

It pained him seeing Roxy cry. As Mai was speaking, he quickly stood up and hugged her close. "I think I understand...a little. It's a lot to take in...but I'll keep your secret safe. it sounds like you have a plan that can keep us together. Whatever it is, I'm game."

Mai smirked as she walked over to Tom. "Young love...," she remarked. "Oh...is that for me?" she asked, noticing the jade fish. "You shouldn't have," she added playfully; there was no way she'd refuse a gift like that.

Ashy_OCdesigns Ashy_OCdesigns Gwalihir Gwalihir

Last edited:
Niko spent some time contemplating what Tom said and finally understood what he meant. "yeah, true...that was still meannnnn"
Once Roxy came clean, Niko asked"Should we tell him, or..." Niko then realized that it would be harder to lie in front of Randy and said quite loudly "shitshitshitshit"
Niko turned to Roxy, "should we tell your boyfriend? Because I am probably acting wayyy too strange. Wait, we already did" He had been a little drunk throughout this whole ordeal.

Last edited:
<< "That's awfully generous of you, Tom. Um...you got any Budweiser?" Randy asked. He took a seat at the bar. "Roxy? Well...she's got a big heart and is really fun to be around. She's not afraid to get dirty, and I'll let you in on a secret. She might be a bigger Keanu fan than I am; and I'm definably a fan." >>

“Canned, bottle or tap? Regular, light or something else?” Whichever it was, Tom served it up with a flourish. He listened intently to Randy’s answer about Roxy, not for what he could learn about Roxy but for what he could learn about Randy: what he valued, how he judged people, anything else he might pick up. He laughed about the Keanu fan bit.

“Well, who isn’t? If nothing else, the Matrix alone blows almost anything else away.”

He took another swipe at the bar with his washrag. “So tell me, Randy: what did you think of the Matrix? The whole idea of another world beneath what we see, something that changes the very definition of what we are and what is around us?”

<< "And as for the vampire thing, I think Keanu just takes care of himself and has good genes. If I'm lucky, looking like him might make me a distant cousin or something..." >>

“Yeah, and there’s the whole sunlight thing, too. If he were a vampire, he would supposedly go up in smoke, right? ‘Course, that’s just what I’ve always heard.”

Tom grinned. “You ever give any thought to that sort of stuff? Becoming a ‘creature of the night’? Some folks it appeals to, some it doesn’t…”

<< "I'm sorry Tom...I see what you're trying to do, but he asked me to be his girlfriend…” >>

“Roxy, you’d better be damned sure about him…”

Tom remained tight lipped through the next exchange, both with Randy and Roxy and then with Mai. He breathed a little easier when Randy professed that he would keep the secret.

“Just so you know, Roxy: I was working up to breaking it to him a little more gently, see how he might react before he found out. If there ever is a next time, trust me, okay?”

<< Mai smirked as she walked over to Tom. "Young love...," she remarked. "Oh...is that for me?" she asked, noticing the jade fish. "You shouldn't have," she added playfully… >>

“If you want to use your foxfire, or transform while dancing or anything of the sort, this will allow it. But first, it must be given safely.”

He reached out and grasped her hand, the red silk cord wrapped around his hand and wrist.

“Listen carefully,” he said, and enunciated clearly and slowly: “quod ego do tibi gratias gratis.”

As he unwrapped the cord from his wrist and hand, he wrapped it around hers. “It means ‘that which I give you, I give freely.’ Had you taken this without the incantation it would have zapped you, hard. If you are ever in dire need of help from the bar and can’t come yourself, give this to a messenger and recite the incantation as you do. When they come here we will know you sent them by the amulet and the fact that they have it without it hurting them.”

“Just a few of us have amulets like this, and each one has it in their own style. Mine is an eagle, Mark’s is a silver arrowhead, Lucas has a wolf’s head; everyone is different.”

<< "yeah, true...that was still meannnnn" >>

“Hmm? Sorry, it wasn’t meant to be mean, it was meant to warn you not to spill the beans in front of him. I was trying to introduce the idea gradually, more subtly.”

Tom turned his attention back to Randy. “I hope you really get what a risk we all are taking in letting you know this. If the general population found out, our world as we know it would end. So, remember the old joke: ‘I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you?’ That’s exactly the way a lot of this crowd would see it. So be very, very careful who you let know here or out there anything, and why.

But there is one person you two are going to have to tell, and that’s Roxy’s Pack leader, Lucas Greymore. He’s not going to be too happy about her breaking the secret without getting his permission first, but still better you tell him now than wait for him to find out on his own. He’s hanging out with some of the Alphas in that big corner booth over there.”

Tom gestured towards one of the rowdiest booths in the bar. “Good luck. May I say, you’ll need it.”

"Hold on." Niko said to Tom, "I want to play a quick little game with him." He was sober now."also,remind me not to get drunk, like, ever"
"We'll tell you everything if you can guess everyone's age within 3 years"Niko turned Randy

"S...sorry," Roxy sniffled. She buried her face into Randy's torso; sobbing on his shirt. She had assumed Tom was trying to keep the 'normal human' act going.

Randy gently stroked her hair. "I understand...stakes don't get much higher than death," he replied solemnly. "Mum's the word. No one else needs to know."

While Randy was comforting Roxy, Mai was checking out her new amulet. "Pretty nifty. Did you make it yourself?" she asked Tom. She took a step back and made her tail appear. "How do I look?" she asked, posing elegantly. She flashed a cheeky grin to Tom, Niko, and the werewolf alphas (just in case they were paying attention.)

"I don't need to know everything...," Randy said to Niko. "Doesn't sound like a fair game anyway," he added with a chuckle.

"Hey...you ready?" he asked Roxy softly.

She nodded.

He slid his arms down and grabbed her hand. They walked over to the booth Lucas and the other werewolf alphas were sitting at.

Roxy rubbed her face with her arm.

"Um...Lucas...sir...," Roxy said nervously. She squeezed Randy's hand. "T...this is Randy, the guy Altheus thought was my mate...when he tried to scare us off. He's my best friend, but we'd like to be more than that..." She bowed; Randy followed her example. "I realize I jumped the gun...but I truly want this to be done the right way. Please, I beg you, give him a chance."

Ashy_OCdesigns Ashy_OCdesigns Gwalihir Gwalihir

<< "We'll tell you everything if you can guess everyone's age within 3 years" >>

“I don’t think so, Niko,” Tom replied: “Nevermind that he doesn’t have a shot: make promises like that and one of these guys is liable to take your head off, literally. I wouldn’t risk it.”

<< While Randy was comforting Roxy, Mai was checking out her new amulet. "Pretty nifty. Did you make it yourself?" >>

Tom laughed. “No: I just found an excellent craftsman to make it for you. Even I haven’t had time to pick up every nifty skill set out there. I do trim up a killer bonsai tree, though.”

<< She took a step back and made her tail appear. "How do I look?" she asked, posing elegantly. >>

First Tom watched to gauge Randy’s reaction, then gave her the thumbs up. “Outstanding! Whatever kind of act you decide to do next, I’m betting it will be a show stopper!”

<< She flashed a cheeky grin to Tom, Niko, and the werewolf alphas (just in case they were paying attention.) >>

From the wolf whistles and comments shouted across the room it was obvious that they were. A couple of the Pack members even left the table and approached, eager to chat her up.

As Roxy and Randy approached the table she saw Lucas’ nose flare, and suddenly he sat up straight and leaned forward, palms flat on the table. He looked ready to jump out and attack. The table suddenly became very quiet.

<< "Um...Lucas...sir...," Roxy said nervously. She squeezed Randy's hand. "T...this is Randy, the guy Altheus thought was my mate...when he tried to scare us off. He's my best friend, but we'd like to be more than that..." She bowed; Randy followed her example. "I realize I jumped the gun...but I truly want this to be done the right way. Please, I beg you, give him a chance." >>

The other Alphas left the table silently. Lucas glared at the two of them then waved for them to sit, one on his right side, one on his left. There was a bit of a pause before he spoke.

“Rosie, is it? Brand new, introduced at the Pack just last week? And you’ve got the balls to go blabbing about us to some kid?

“You must have talked to someone about this before you made up your mind. How many, and who? And what did they tell you? And you told him anyway?”

Lucas was obviously furious, barely holding it in. “You’re stripped of your turf. When you hunt, it will be on shared land or other’s turf, for which they will expect favors in return, which you will pay. Step out of line again, I will give the word and the Pack will tear you to pieces.”

Next he turned his attention to Randy. “Kid: I have over 100 pack members as reasons to kill you to keep them safe. Give me three reasons not to, and make them good.”

Faintly less choleric now, he pointed a long finger at Randy. “For now, the only reason I can see is that Rosie trusts you, and I can tell by the raging hormones in the air that you feel the same way about her. If I let you live, that does not mean you have permission to join the Pack. It means we will be watching you, and if you dare spill to anyone else it will be both your heads on stakes out in the woods.

“Keep your head on straight, keep the secret and don’t get out of line: if you do all that, you’ll get an invite to visit with the Pack on a full moon night. Where we go from there depends on your behavior at that meeting. Is all of this perfectly clear to both of you?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back